PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Memphis BBQ - who has the best?

sedated
07-19-2009, 11:40 PM
I'll be stopping in Memphis on my way back from out of town. I have one chance to grab lunch at the best BBQ joint there.

If anyone here has an opinion as to the best BBQ restaurant there, let me know.

Right now I'm pretty much deciding between Corky's and Rendezvous, but if any of the locals have better suggestions, let me know.

(Sorry if repost)

EDIT: I saw a lot of reviews that said Rendezvous was overrated, so decided not to go there. Corky's was way out of the way, so we went to Interstate.

It was a sit-down place with a server, which was unexpected after years getting used to Gates, Bryants, Zarda, etc. Service was quick, but not the friendliest in the world - but that only added to the atmosphere, which is pretty simliar to Bryants, with the grungy tables and faded pictures on the wall.

The menu was huge! Giant selection of sandwiches, sides, plus unusual items like BBQ spaghetti, onion rings, etc. But since its known for pork, I got the pork ribs and my g/f got pulled pork sandwich (with slaw).

The beans tasted like Bush's out of a can, but with a bit of shredded pork in it. Nothing special, I will take Zarda or Jack Stack beans any day of the week. Grade: D

The slaw was like KFC slaw (which I don't mind), but was expecting something a little more...unique. "Meh" on the slaw. Grade: C

The ribs were excellent. They were cooked near perfect and were the best I can remember from a restaurant. Grade: A

The pulled pork was somewhat dry, but tasty. The slaw on the sandwich was hard to notice. I'm not a pulled pork fan in general, but this was certainly not the best I've had. Grade: I would give this a B- in most other places, but a restaurant known for pulled pork gets dropped to a C-.

The sauce was great! It was thinner than most KC sauces (vinegar-based, duh), and more savory. It had a good amount of kick, not overwhelming, and had a citrusy taste too. I bought a bottle to bring back. Grade: A

BWillie
07-19-2009, 11:41 PM
I like Rudy's. I've never seen them except in Texas though.

luv
07-19-2009, 11:49 PM
Out of those two, Corky's.

DJ's left nut
07-20-2009, 12:11 AM
I'll be stopping in Memphis on my way back from out of town. I have one chance to grab lunch at the best BBQ joint there.

If anyone here has an opinion as to the best BBQ restaurant there, let me know.

Right now I'm pretty much deciding between Corky's and Rendezvous, but if any of the locals have better suggestions, let me know.

(Sorry if repost)

If you happen to be coming back up 55 to get home (seems like you should) there's a little BBQ joint right off the highway across the street from a Drury inn down in Pemiscot County (the bootheel). The town is called Hayti, I'm wanting to say it's somewhere around mile marker 19. If you're heading north you'll swing a left off the interstate (head west), it's a 10th of a mile off the highway. I can't swear by their hours, but you're out 3 minutes at most if they're closed.

The place is called Chubby's, it's owned by the local Sheriff. It's fantastic. They have the smoker running non-stop, they have fresh stuff every day. For about $6/7 you can get a massive pulled pork sandwich (or any # of other sandwiches or meat platters) with 3 sides and a big ass soda (they also have real sweet tea, so you know you're south of Cape...). If you like hot fries, give 'em a shot down there. I get the slaw and a side salad as well, the beans are also good. It's southern style, lots of smoke and the sauce is in bottles; mostly vinegar or mustard based.

Whenever I draw the short straw and have to head down there for work, that's always the silver lining and in all honesty, pretty much makes the trip worthwhile. You'd be remiss if you passed it without even giving it a shot.

2bikemike
07-20-2009, 04:53 AM
I heard Interstate is pretty good. Rendevous has some tasty ribs.

the Talking Can
07-20-2009, 05:43 AM
rendezvous is over priced crap...it isn't even bbq....it's grilled ribs

i'd go anywhere in memphis before going back there

the truth is that memphis bbq isn't near as good as kc, unless you really love pulled pork....i bet you'll be disappointed wherever you go, i always was....and make sure you tell them hold the slaw unless you want your sandwich ruined...

there is great fried catfish in memphis though

check out Soul Fish
http://www.yelp.com/biz/soul-fish-memphis

their catfish will blow you away, and they have great fresh vegetable sides...one of the most popular places in town for locals....

if i had one meal in memphis, i'd go here....

Otter
07-20-2009, 07:50 AM
Whenever I draw the short straw and have to head down there for work, that's always the silver lining and in all honesty, pretty much makes the trip worthwhile. You'd be remiss if you passed it without even giving it a shot.

I always thought Memphis was a little hidden gem when it comes to cities to visit. Fairly upscale, nice upbeat party atmosphere at night, friendly people.

Sorry, I've not nothing to offer on BBQ though. :shrug:

OnTheWarpath58
07-20-2009, 08:51 AM
If you happen to be coming back up 55 to get home (seems like you should) there's a little BBQ joint right off the highway across the street from a Drury inn down in Pemiscot County (the bootheel). The town is called Hayti, I'm wanting to say it's somewhere around mile marker 19. If you're heading north you'll swing a left off the interstate (head west), it's a 10th of a mile off the highway. I can't swear by their hours, but you're out 3 minutes at most if they're closed.

The place is called Chubby's, it's owned by the local Sheriff. It's fantastic. They have the smoker running non-stop, they have fresh stuff every day. For about $6/7 you can get a massive pulled pork sandwich (or any # of other sandwiches or meat platters) with 3 sides and a big ass soda (they also have real sweet tea, so you know you're south of Cape...). If you like hot fries, give 'em a shot down there. I get the slaw and a side salad as well, the beans are also good. It's southern style, lots of smoke and the sauce is in bottles; mostly vinegar or mustard based.

This.

rendezvous is over priced crap...it isn't even bbq....it's grilled ribs

i'd go anywhere in memphis before going back there

the truth is that memphis bbq isn't near as good as kc, unless you really love pulled pork....i bet you'll be disappointed wherever you go, i always was....and make sure you tell them hold the slaw unless you want your sandwich ruined...

there is great fried catfish in memphis though

check out Soul Fish
http://www.yelp.com/biz/soul-fish-memphis

their catfish will blow you away, and they have great fresh vegetable sides...one of the most popular places in town for locals....

if i had one meal in memphis, i'd go here....

And absolutely this.

Southern-style catfish >>>>>>> Memphis BBQ

Fire Me Boy!
07-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Never been, but I've always heard Interstate (http://www.interstatebarbecue.com/) is the place to go.

Extra Point
07-20-2009, 08:55 AM
The place across the street from BB King's in Beale had really good ribs a few years ago.

ChiefaRoo
07-20-2009, 09:25 AM
The Germantown Commisary in Germantown is the best. It's about 20 minutes from Downtown right up Poplar. I've had most all of them and it's my fav.

Manila-Chief
07-20-2009, 09:26 AM
If you happen to be coming back up 55 to get home (seems like you should) .

Live down here ... but, honestly, have only eaten at a Corky's one time. It was good, but not extra special. Sorry, I can't be any help to you. We don't eat out very much.

I think bbq. is a matter of your reference point ... i.e. where you acquired the taste will determine what you like. Therefore, if you are a big fan of K.C. style (or any of the others), you may not like N.C., Texas, nor Memphis.

As far as the route back to K.C. ... when we lived there 30 plus years ago ... it was about equal time if we would go via St. Louis or via Springfield. S.F. was a shorter distant (and the thrill of the Ark. "country, curvy, what a thrill" roads), but I-55/I-70 was easier driving. In the last few years, they have improved the roads, speed limits, by-passes, and now it is much faster and shorter to go via Jonesboro, West Plains, S.F., etc. Our last trip we made it to Olathe in less than 8 hours ... used to take us 10 to 12 hours. The only "slow" part of the trip is up in No. Ark. ... because of the roads and a couple of small towns. They have by-passes around most towns and the 2-lane up in MO is nice and wide with a fairly good speed limit.

So, I think he "should" not take I-55. Just my opinion.

mikeyis4dcats.
07-20-2009, 09:57 AM
Interstate
Interstate
Interstate

(If you say it looking into a smoker Jim Neely pops out and makes you dinner.)

Great Expectations
07-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Corky's = Meh, Rendezvous is widely regarded as the best rib place in the world. Interstate has really good pulled pork and ok ribs, they have a BBQ spaghetti that is good.

mikeyis4dcats.
07-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Corky's = Meh, Rendezvous is widely regarded as the best rib place in the world. Interstate has really good pulled pork and ok ribs, they have a BBQ spaghetti that is good.

many feel Rendezvous is overrated.

sportsman1
07-20-2009, 12:42 PM
Rendezvous sucks. I always loved Interstate, and Corky's when I was in Memphis.

rambleonthruthefog
07-20-2009, 12:56 PM
i ate bbq in memphis once. it was at corkys. the ribs were wet, and delicious! don't get the chopped beef sandwich.

Demonpenz
07-20-2009, 01:49 PM
memphis is the q capital of the world, shouldn't be hard to find the q there

Great Expectations
07-20-2009, 02:00 PM
many feel Rendezvous is overrated.

They are haters. I haven't been to the original Corky's but the ones in Little Rock blew.

Interstate is good, but the ribs aren't on the same level as Rendezvous.

Reaper16
07-20-2009, 02:12 PM
Rendezvous is pretty tasty, but it isn't bbq.

the Talking Can
07-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Rendezvous is a scam.

It isn't BBQ. And they charge tourist prices for it. Someone paid for my meal and it still pissed me off when I realized what I was eating. It's grilled ribs with greek seasoning. I'd rather piss on it.

It's the last place I'd go.

Interstate, Central BBQ, German Town Commissary, all are solid if not great....

Great Expectations
07-20-2009, 03:10 PM
Rendezvous is a scam.

It isn't BBQ. And they charge tourist prices for it.

It is like $20 for a slab.

the Talking Can
07-20-2009, 03:26 PM
It is like $20 for a slab.

just checked, you're right...must have been the beer....

Herzig
07-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Rendezvous is a scam.

It isn't BBQ. And they charge tourist prices for it. Someone paid for my meal and it still pissed me off when I realized what I was eating. It's grilled ribs with greek seasoning. I'd rather piss on it.

It's the last place I'd go.

Interstate, Central BBQ, German Town Commissary, all are solid if not great....

I agree with you about Rendezvous...it is $20 a slab....I enjoyed Central BBQ much better.

My wife went to college in Memphis and has had almost every well known BBQ place there. She swears by The BBQ Shoppe...says it is the best she's ever had and I've taken her to almost all the well known KC places...ok Joes, Jack Stack, etc.

Memphis is all about the dry rub and KC is all about the sauce.

Also...Gus's Fried Chicken downtown is a must eat place in Memphis

Herzig
07-21-2009, 09:13 AM
Sorry but the BBQ place my wife swears by is on Madison Ave and is called the Bar-b-q Shop Restaurant. It is rated #11 of all restaurants in Memphis.

Also...I noticed that Gus's World Famous Hot & Spicy Fried Chicken is #1 on Trip Advisor for Memphis. It is on Front St. downtown near Ernest and Hazeltines.

dtebbe
07-21-2009, 09:46 AM
We just ate at Neeley's a few weeks ago and it was excellent.

For a full review with pictures see:
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=209217

I would HIGHLY recommend the dry ribs. They were awesome. Fries were not great, beans were decent. Kick butt yeast rolls.

DT

Raised On Riots
07-21-2009, 11:05 AM
memphis is the q capital of the world, shouldn't be hard to find the q there

:shake:

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv252/raisedonriots/PRESTONECOCKTAIL.png

Reaper16
07-21-2009, 11:52 AM
:shake:

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv252/raisedonriots/PRESTONECOCKTAIL.png
demonpenz gets another one. /snicker

Raised On Riots
07-21-2009, 12:20 PM
demonpenz gets another one. /snicker

Like I'm gonna' let that shit slide...:D

sedated
07-21-2009, 03:20 PM
I saw a lot of reviews that said Rendezvous was overrated, so decided not to go there. Corky's was way out of the way, so we went to Interstate.

It was a sit-down place with a server, which was unexpected after years getting used to Gates, Bryants, and Zarda. Service was quick, but not the friendliest in the world - but added to the atmosphere, which is pretty close to Bryants, with the grungy tables and ancient pictures on the wall.

The menu was huge! Huge selection of sandwiches, sides, BBQ spaghetti, onion rings, etc. But since its known for pork, I got the pork ribs and my g/f got pulled pork sandwich (with slaw).

The beans tasted like Bush's out of a can, but with a bit of shredded pork in it. Nothing special, I will take Zarda or Jack Stack beans any day of the week. Grade: D

The slaw was like KFC slaw (which I don't mind), but was expecting something a little more...unique. "Meh" on the slaw. Grade: C

The ribs were excellent. They were cooked near perfect and were the best I can remember from a restaurant. Grade: A

The pulled pork was somewhat dry, but tasty. The slaw on the sandwich was hard to notice. I'm not a pulled pork fan in general, but this was certainly not the best I've had. Grade: I would give this a B- in most other places, but a restaurant known for pulled pork gets dropped to a C-.

The sauce was great. It was thinner than most KC sauces (vinegar-based, duh), and more savory. It had a good amount of kick, not overwhelming, and had a citrusy taste too. I bought a bottle to bring back. Grade: A

bulldogg
07-21-2009, 03:25 PM
Interstate and get the hot it is extra good...

sedated
07-21-2009, 03:55 PM
BTW, if anyone is ever coming back to KC from Memphis, and is tempted to take the direct route (diagonal) across Missouri (through Lake of the Ozarks, instead of going north through STL then west over I-70 to KC) - DON'T!

We decided to try it this time, and it added 2 1/2 hours to our trip. We left Beale Street at 3pm, and normally would have gotten home at 11pm. Instead we got back at 1:30am.

The roads are so twisted you can barely get over 40 mph.

And there is no cell phone service for most of it, so if you break down you are sent back to the old days of knocking on doors asking to use a land-line.

Baby Lee
07-21-2009, 04:03 PM
Like I'm gonna' let that shit slide...:D

He means demonpenz says those kinds of things to provoke the reaction you provided, not because he actually believes what he's saying.

Something to keep in mind for his pending 'I miss Herm' thread.

Raised On Riots
07-21-2009, 04:03 PM
He means demonpenz says those kinds of things to provoke the reaction you provided, not because he actually believes what he's saying.

Something to keep in mind for his pending 'I miss Herm' thread.

Damnit Penz! :cuss:

dtebbe
07-21-2009, 04:27 PM
And there is no cell phone service for most of it, so if you break down you are sent back to the old days of knocking on doors asking to use a land-line.

If this does happen to you, and you hear banjo music in the distance while knocking... RUN.

DT

sedated
07-21-2009, 04:34 PM
If this does happen to you, and you hear banjo music in the distance while knocking... RUN.

DT

one of the radio stations out there has bango music as a jingle. it doesn't do much to calm the out-of-towners' nerves.

luv
07-21-2009, 06:51 PM
If you were on Beale Street, Blues City Cafe isn't a BBQ joint, but they have surprisingly awesome ribs.

liljohn7
07-21-2009, 10:57 PM
The best barbque in Memphis is at cosy corner. They are your true hole in the wall bbq joint. Ribs fall of the bone, covered in sauce, hot or mild. You leave sticky, wet and full, with a little tingle on your tongue. They also make a bbq balogna sandwich that is out of this world. That is where anyone should go when they want the best Memphis bbq. If your scared of the neighborhood, get in touch with me, I'll meet you there. Any excuse to eat there.

Reaper16
07-21-2009, 11:02 PM
The best barbque in Memphis is at cosy corner. They are your true hole in the wall bbq joint. Ribs fall of the bone, covered in sauce, hot or mild. You leave sticky, wet and full, with a little tingle on your tongue. They also make a bbq balogna sandwich that is out of this world. That is where anyone should go when they want the best Memphis bbq. If your scared of the neighborhood, get in touch with me, I'll meet you there. Any excuse to eat there.
That's not a good thing.

DJ's left nut
07-21-2009, 11:58 PM
BTW, if anyone is ever coming back to KC from Memphis, and is tempted to take the direct route (diagonal) across Missouri (through Lake of the Ozarks, instead of going north through STL then west over I-70 to KC) - DON'T!

We decided to try it this time, and it added 2 1/2 hours to our trip. We left Beale Street at 3pm, and normally would have gotten home at 11pm. Instead we got back at 1:30am.

And you didn't get to go to Chubby's.

Way to !@#$ that one up...

DJ's left nut
07-22-2009, 12:02 AM
That's not a good thing.

I've always thought the same thing.

My dad and some of his buddies are hardcore BBQ guys but they absolutely will not eat smoked ribs until they put them in an oven for awhile to 'tenderize' them.

Hell, all they've done is steam some perfectly good smoked ribs. I've only done that once and it was after I dicked up the smoke by oversoaking the wood, it ended up making this acrid awfulness that tasted more like ash than hickory. The only way to save it was put a bunch of mustard sauce on it then stick it in the oven for an hour.

You want tender - get a brisket. Ribs is made for gnawing. Screw you crock-pot people.

Reaper16
07-22-2009, 12:05 AM
I've always thought the same thing.

My dad and some of his buddies are hardcore BBQ guys but they absolutely will not eat smoked ribs until they put them in an oven for awhile to 'tenderize' them.

Hell, all they've done is steam some perfectly good smoked ribs. I've only done that once and it was after I dicked up the smoke by oversoaking the wood, it ended up making this acrid awfulness that tasted more like ash than hickory. The only way to save it was put a bunch of mustard sauce on it then stick it in the oven for an hour.

You want tender - get a brisket. Ribs is made for gnawing. Screw you crock-pot people.
Texture is always important. And when ribs are fall-off-the-bone tender, the mushy texture is objectively poor.

Raised On Riots
07-22-2009, 12:31 AM
Texture is always important. And when ribs are fall-off-the-bone tender, the mushy texture is objectively poor.

I don't care if it's ribs or brisket; I don't want a flaky, ultra-tender end-product.

If you're not working a little bit when you eat your Q, it's just not right. And I HATE it when they slather sliced brisket with ultra-dark sauce and keep it heated in a tin pan; that shit should be against the law.

But the WORST crime of all, is pre-sliced brisket, ham, or turkey being "kept" in a stainless steel shallow pan over hot water, and with bullion water at the bottom of that pan.

Any person of taste should immediately grab that pan, toss the destroyed meat out of it, and use it to knock it's owner the cold, fuck OUT.:mad:

Manila-Chief
07-22-2009, 02:20 AM

You can make it from Memphis to OP, KS in 8 hours going via St. Louis? It's been a while since I've traveled that route. Maybe the by-pass around St. Louis helps a bit?

Which route did you take that required 40 MPH?

On our last trip we made it to Olathe in less than 8 hours. We take I-55 up to U.S. 63 (Mark Tree/Jonesboro exit) and take it all the way to U.S. 65 into Springfield ... I-44 to MO-13 up to Clinton ... MO-7 over to US-71 up to I-435. Since we usually are going to Olathe, we cut across on 150 into Olathe.

Google maps says it is 569 miles from my house to Olathe via St. Louis and only 484 via Springfield. The only time we have to drive 40 MPH is when we are in a speed zone. The roads are excellent from Memphis up to Black Rock, AR. Then there is a stretch from Black Rock up to the MO state line in Thayer, MO that is a little crooked, but I don't have to slow down much below the 55 MPH speed limit, and it is only (this is just a guess) 30 to 40 miles. It is 2 lanes in MO until you get to Cabool, but it is a nice wide road and I think the speed limit is 65.

It certainly doesn't take us 2.5 hours longer to go via Springfield. But, maybe it's because we have made the trip a few times and kinda know the route???

sedated
07-22-2009, 10:28 AM
You can make it from Memphis to OP, KS in 8 hours going via St. Louis?

Which route did you take that required 40 MPH?

On our last trip we made it to Olathe in less than 8 hours. We take I-55 up to U.S. 63 (Mark Tree/Jonesboro exit) and take it all the way to U.S. 65 into Springfield ... I-44 to MO-13 up to Clinton ... MO-7 over to US-71 up to I-435. Since we usually are going to Olathe, we cut across on 150 into Olathe.

It certainly doesn't take us 2.5 hours longer to go via Springfield. But, maybe it's because we have made the trip a few times and kinda know the route???

Memphis to STL via I-55 North = 4 hrs,
STL to KC via I-70 West = 4 hrs.

I canít remember the exact route, but we got off 55N at Sikeston MO, took 67 West through Poplar Bluff, there was an Ellsinor in there somwhere, then I think 21 North through Ellington, 106 West through Eminence and Summersville, 17 North to Waynesville, 7 North through Lake of the Ozarks, Warsaw, Clinton, and all the way back to Belton and into KC.

We didnít go through Springfield, we figured it was too far south to save time, but in hindsight the difference in speed would have made up for it. All I know is Iím NEVER taking that backwoods route ever again.

Pablo
07-22-2009, 11:04 AM

I canít remember the exact route, but we got off 55N at Sikeston MO, took 67 West through Poplar Bluff, there was an Ellsinor in there somwhere, then I think 21 North through Ellington, 106 West through Eminence and Summersville, 17 North to Waynesville, 7 North through Lake of the Ozarks, Warsaw, Clinton, and all the way back to Belton and into KC.

We didnít go through Springfield, we figured it was too far south to save time, but in hindsight the difference in speed would have made up for it. All I know is Iím NEVER taking that backwoods route ever again.Yeah, you took the super-shitty route. Especially at night.

Eminence is the ass-pit of humanity, and it takes about 6 hours to get from there to St. Joe.

PunkinDrublic
07-22-2009, 12:19 PM
Memphis has my favorite BBQ outside of KC. Of course everything tastes good after years of crappy Texas BBQ. The mom and pop BBQ joints where I live are being run out of town by Dickies. Seriously where I live there seems to be a chain BBQ place on every corner.

Manila-Chief
07-22-2009, 02:09 PM

I can’t remember the exact route, but we got off 55N at Sikeston MO, took 67 West through Poplar Bluff, there was an Ellsinor in there somwhere, then I think 21 North through Ellington, 106 West through Eminence and Summersville, 17 North to Waynesville, 7 North through Lake of the Ozarks, Warsaw, Clinton, and all the way back to Belton and into KC.

We didn’t go through Springfield, we figured it was too far south to save time, but in hindsight the difference in speed would have made up for it. All I know is I’m NEVER taking that backwoods route ever again.

Now, realize I was going to Olathe or K.C. North, and maybe it took us a bit longer than 8 hours to go via STL.

I thought you probably had taken the back roads route. Last fall we had a missions conference up in the Lake of the Ozark, somewhere, and had to take some of those roads. I agree it was "lots of fun."

The route I gave is much faster and shorter than the one you took ... and easier to travel. But, if you can make it in 8 hours via STL ... then that is not a bad route at all ... especially if there is bad weather.

Stewie
07-22-2009, 04:12 PM
I agree with you about Rendezvous...it is $20 a slab....I enjoyed Central BBQ much better.

My wife went to college in Memphis and has had almost every well known BBQ place there. She swears by The BBQ Shoppe...says it is the best she's ever had and I've taken her to almost all the well known KC places...ok Joes, Jack Stack, etc.

Memphis is all about the dry rub and KC is all about the sauce.

Also...Gus's Fried Chicken downtown is a must eat place in Memphis

This has been repeated so much (national TV shows) it has become a truth, but it's absolutely wrong.

Herzig
07-22-2009, 04:21 PM
This has been repeated so much (national TV shows) it has become a truth, but it's absolutely wrong.

Maybe so, but from what I've seen and tasted in both cities, that appears to be a big distinction. Also, KC seems to be the only place you can find Burnt Ends that i've seen. People in Memphis don't know what the hell they are..KC also seems to Q' more beef.

Extra Point
07-22-2009, 04:41 PM
If you were on Beale Street, Blues City Cafe isn't a BBQ joint, but they have surprisingly awesome ribs.

That's the place I had earlier mentioned in Post #10. Our "Super-Boring-Spring-Break" in '98 included Mardi-Gras on Beale Street; the kids (now 18, 20, and 22) recall that, but don't include the experience of eating ribs in Memphis at that place as part of it. (Plastic-beaded necklaces for all!) Hot Springs and Nashville, though, were, to them, in spite of the go-karts and horseraces in Hot Springs.

Stewie
07-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Maybe so, but from what I've seen and tasted in both cities, that appears to be a big distinction. Also, KC seems to be the only place you can find Burnt Ends that i've seen. People in Memphis don't know what the hell they are..KC also seems to Q' more beef.

You find both styles of wet/dry in KC. Memphis has this "dry" persona for some reason. As for beef, everyone does brisket, but you have to go to Texas for "beef BBQ."