PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Direct TV questions...

petegz28
07-20-2009, 11:19 AM
Is it worth it? I have cable now. Do I get FSN so I can curse the Royals? How does sattelite hold out during bad and windy weather?

The Bad Guy
07-20-2009, 11:22 AM
I will never have anything but DirecTV.

doomy3
07-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Yes, I think it is definitely worth it. I have had DTV and switched from Dish (before that I had cable). HD signal is uncompressed unlike cable, and you get a lot more channel options. And yes, you can get FSN so you can curse the Royals.

If you want to switch, shoot me a PM and I can save you $100 if you decide to switch to DTV.

Skip Towne
07-20-2009, 11:30 AM
If your dish is properly aimed you will only get short outages during severe storms. Make sure your dish isn't partially blocked by trees. August is a good time to join because they have been giving really good deals on Sunday Ticket the past few years. It is a sign up bonus.

Blindside58
07-20-2009, 11:40 AM
I used to love it. ...before I got swindled into ATT Uverse. Picture quality is the best out there. I hear they may be teaming up with TIVo again...which would rock. The only picture loss I had was during the "Black Clouds" that would turn a normal afternoon into nighttime lighting conditions. Sometimes I would have great signal after the clouds passed but still having massive downpours.

Does anyone know how long you have to be un-subscribed to DTV to be considered a new customer again? New customers always get the good deals.

DTLB58
07-20-2009, 11:57 AM
The only reason I have it is because of Sunday ticket.

Now I haven't had to deal with cable in upteen years because I have had satellite either Directv or C-band for so long so I don't know what service is like with them but I do expirence outages with my Directv during summer storms less than with just severe storms and I have the one tree I have trimmed in the back yard. Both my dishes (1 for local channels) are up on my garage and through the years I have had numerous techs out here checking out the linement of the equpiment and even had it all updated and replaced. In fact right now I have all HD recievers,dvr's, the newest latest and greatest dishes and still and lose reception during just rain.

If you get it, check your bill EVERY month. I went through a 6 month period where they miss billed me every month.

Most of the customer service people I have dealt with over the phone are horrible. Most of the time I call with a problem I start listening to the person and I can tell within the first minute if 1, I can understand this person or 2, they are smart enough to solve my problem. If not, I just hang up and call back till I get someone with a brain.

Again the ONLY reason I have it is because I am addicted to the Chiefs AND the rest of the NFL!

BWillie
08-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Does anybody know if AT&T Uverse's HD still sucks? Is it better than Comcast? I have Comcast and I hate them. They are pieces of sh*t. I pay out the ass too and Uverse will save me $30 a month. I like HD though.

Nzoner
08-03-2009, 11:57 AM

As long as they are the exclusive for Sunday Ticket same here.

wutamess
08-03-2009, 11:58 AM
The only reason I have it is because of Sunday ticket.

Now I haven't had to deal with cable in upteen years because I have had satellite either Directv or C-band for so long so I don't know what service is like with them but I do expirence outages with my Directv during summer storms less than with just severe storms and I have the one tree I have trimmed in the back yard. Both my dishes (1 for local channels) are up on my garage and through the years I have had numerous techs out here checking out the linement of the equpiment and even had it all updated and replaced. In fact right now I have all HD recievers,dvr's, the newest latest and greatest dishes and still and lose reception during just rain.

If you get it, check your bill EVERY month. I went through a 6 month period where they miss billed me every month.

Most of the customer service people I have dealt with over the phone are horrible. Most of the time I call with a problem I start listening to the person and I can tell within the first minute if 1, I can understand this person or 2, they are smart enough to solve my problem. If not, I just hang up and call back till I get someone with a brain.

Again the ONLY reason I have it is because I am addicted to the Chiefs AND the rest of the NFL!

Been with them for 8 years and NEVER a complaint. They usually bend over backwards for you and make EVERYTHING right.

Only time I've had a complaint is when things didn't go my way when I'm usually doing something stupid like get Sunday Ticket & Superfan for $150.

Other than that. NOT ONE COMPLAINT!

rockymtnchief
08-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Damn lawnmower man decided to mow the lawn in the dark last night. Suddenly, I lost service. I went out to find he ran his fat head into my dish. After the ass chewing I gave him, I'm sure he'll stick to mowing in daylite hours now.

mikey23545
08-03-2009, 12:14 PM

As long as they are the exclusive for Sunday Ticket same here.

Been with them for 8 years and NEVER a complaint. They usually bend over backwards for you and make EVERYTHING right.

Only time I've had a complaint is when things didn't go my way when I'm usually doing something stupid like get Sunday Ticket & Superfan for $150.

Other than that. NOT ONE COMPLAINT!

Yep.
Yep.
And yep.

Been with them for at least 10 years, I can't really remember exactly, and I could probably count the problems I have had with them on the fingers of one hand...

aturnis
08-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Five months of DirecTV Premier Package w/ NFL Sunday Ticket for $60/month (http://dealnews.com/Five-months-of-Direc-TV-Premier-Package-w-NFL-Sunday-Ticket-for-60-month/311017.html)

You're welcome.

Bwana
08-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Damn lawnmower man decided to mow the lawn in the dark last night. Suddenly, I lost service. I went out to find he ran his fat head into my dish. After the ass chewing I gave him, I'm sure he'll stick to mowing in daylite hours now.

Ouch! Were you able to adjust it, or did you have to call the Direct TV tech come come and fix it?

rockymtnchief
08-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Ouch! Were you able to adjust it, or did you have to call the Direct TV tech come come and fix it?

I've always tuned it myself. Get it on the set-up menu, take the phone off the hook, set it next to the tv, take the cordless phone outside, go off-hook, and adjust the dish by the beeps coming through the phone from the receiver. Takes 5 minutes.

Bwana
08-03-2009, 07:51 PM
I've always tuned it myself. Get it on the set-up menu, take the phone off the hook, set it next to the tv, take the cordless phone outside, go off-hook, and adjust the dish by the beeps coming through the phone from the receiver. Takes 5 minutes.

Nice, I would still say lawn boy still owns you a case of Alasken Amber for his "poor judgment." :D

rockymtnchief
08-03-2009, 07:55 PM
:thumb:I'll bring it up next time he's out there with a headlamp trying to mow.

The Rick
08-03-2009, 09:28 PM
I cancelled DirecTV a while back for a lot of reasons. One of them was the fact that every time it rained hard or snowed, I'd lose the signal. Should that be the case? I even had installers come out twice. Maybe it's worth another shot?

Nzoner
08-03-2009, 09:32 PM
I cancelled DirecTV a while back for a lot of reasons. One of them was the fact that every time it rained hard or snowed, I'd lose the signal. Should that be the case? I even had installers come out twice. Maybe it's worth another shot?

in 13 years I've lost signal maybe 10 total times and then only briefly,one time I had to take a broom out and clear snow from the dish and the pic popped in immediately.

stlchiefs
08-03-2009, 09:34 PM

Phil mows your lawn?