PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Power tool advice

booger
07-20-2009, 07:39 PM
18 v drill is about shot and am looking into replacements. Any thoughts on 18v or the ni cad or lithium ion batteries/ advantages, etc?

I look at the combo kits as a circular saw/trim saw would come in handy.

Also a specific ? about craftsman tools and thoughts about them in general as sears has this combo pack on special.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00911404000P?adCell=W3

Otherwise i am leaning twards this milwaukee drill http://www.toolbarn.com/product/milwaukee/2601-22/

and renting a saw and purchasing at a later time.

Thoughts on these and any other brands appreciated.

JOhn
07-20-2009, 07:42 PM
Only thing I know about power tools, is I shouldn't use them :eek:

Baconeater
07-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Craftsman has taken a big dive in quality as of late, and cordless tools suck.

booger
07-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Only thing I know about power tools, is I shouldn't use them :eek:

:)

booger
07-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Craftsman has taken a big dive in quality as of late, and cordless tools suck.

which brand do you have the best luck with?

Phobia
07-20-2009, 07:47 PM
I think you'd be very happy with that Milwaukee drill. I've not owned any Craftsman battery operated tools. I have never seen a tool review mag take Craftsman seriously enough to include it in any of their studies.

But, I do have an uncle who swears by them. As evidenced by my continued reluctance to buy Craftsman, one might wonder how much weight I put into my uncle's opinion on the matter.

Skip Towne
07-20-2009, 07:48 PM
In a word, DeWalt for cordless tools.

Phobia
07-20-2009, 07:50 PM

I've owned Ridgid, Hitachi, and DeWalt cordless products. I've been pretty disappointed with DeWalt cordless products until their foray into the Lithium Ion market. I think that Lithium Ion is an absolute must no matter which brand you buy.

booger
07-20-2009, 07:52 PM
I think you'd be very happy with that Milwaukee drill. I've not owned any Craftsman battery operated tools. I have never seen a tool review mag take Craftsman seriously enough to include it in any of their studies.

But, I do have an uncle who swears by them. As evidenced by my continued reluctance to buy Craftsman, one might wonder how much weight I put into my uncle's opinion on the matter.

i have a feeling the 19.2v kit i linked is probably on sale with the new line of lithium ion battery power units. I've looked into some reviews online and i agree that Craftsman doesn't seem to be looked upon too highly.

Makita makes a similar drill to that Milwaukee one but i read up on them about people having battery issues.

cdcox
07-20-2009, 07:53 PM
I have a DeWalt cordless drill/sawzall combo that has worked well.

I have a Rigid contractor saw that I love and a heavy duty drill that works well.

I'd consider either of those brands again.

Phobia
07-20-2009, 07:55 PM
I dropped my DeWalt trim saw 25 feet onto a concrete pad below a few months back. Spent 30 minutes re-adjusting the battery contacts and it still works today. Still, I don't recommend cordless circular saws. For my money, I'd buy a Porter Cable corded model in the $140 range and use it forever. I have a lot of miles on my PC circular saw.

booger
07-20-2009, 07:57 PM
I've owned Ridgid, Hitachi, and DeWalt cordless products. I've been pretty disappointed with DeWalt cordless products until their foray into the Lithium Ion market. I think that Lithium Ion is an absolute must no matter which brand you buy.

That's what i'm thinking that i'll be happy with the new battery style. I'm thinking of going a tool for tool route instead of trying to find the right combo pack. That milwaukee comes with 2 batteries, which was one advantage of the combo packs in general that the batterie fits each tool but with a longer batt life it kind of changes things.

What is you're opinion on trim saws? Have you used any cordless products for saws or just drills?

I borrowed a Bosch a couple years ago, 18v that worked well.

Baconeater
07-20-2009, 07:59 PM
I should elaborate, everything I've bought with the Craftsman name on it in the last ten years has been junk, but none of those things have been power tools. Just hand tools and yard equipment, but none of them have held up. For the most part when it comes to power tools you get what you pay for.

Unless you will be using these tools on a regular basis I would recommend avoiding the cordless tools, the batteries go bad in a couple years regardless of how often you use them, and replacements cost just about as much as the tool itself. So unless you want to throw them away every 2 years, buy corded tools.

booger
07-20-2009, 08:00 PM
I have a DeWalt cordless drill/sawzall combo that has worked well.

I have a Rigid contractor saw that I love and a heavy duty drill that works well.

I'd consider either of those brands again.

thanks, rigid is another brand i wanted peoples opinions on.

booger
07-20-2009, 08:03 PM
I should elaborate, everything I've bought with the Craftsman name on it in the last ten years has been junk, but none of those things have been power tools. Just hand tools and yard equipment, but none of them have held up. For the most part when it comes to power tools you get what you pay for.

Unless you will be using these tools on a regular basis I would recommend avoiding the cordless tools, the batteries go bad in a couple years regardless of how often you use them, and replacements cost just about as much as the tool itself. So unless you want to throw them away every 2 years, buy corded tools.

I've been thinking that with all tools execpt maybe the drill. To go corded with all others. I wondered about craftsman as the only product i have of thiers is a 6.5 push mower/mulcher that works great but that has alot to do with the briggs and stratton motor i think.

L.A. Chieffan
07-20-2009, 08:05 PM
cordless sawzall can come in handy on occasion, but yeah definitely for the drill

booger
07-20-2009, 08:05 PM
I dropped my DeWalt trim saw 25 feet onto a concrete pad below a few months back. Spent 30 minutes re-adjusting the battery contacts and it still works today. Still, I don't recommend cordless circular saws. For my money, I'd buy a Porter Cable corded model in the $140 range and use it forever. I have a lot of miles on my PC circular saw.

That's another one i wasn't sure of. Didn't know if porter cable was a legit brand or not.

chief52
07-20-2009, 08:06 PM
I do not know about the other brands, but I sure do like the Milwaukee Drill and Sawsall. That is all we have on our trucks at work ( Elec. Utility ). Drills a 3/4" hole through a pole with no problems. Have not had problems with any of them.

Baconeater
07-20-2009, 08:06 PM
I've been thinking that with all tools execpt maybe the drill. To go corded with all others. I wondered about craftsman as the only product i have of thiers is a 6.5 push mower/mulcher that works great but that has alot to do with the briggs and stratton motor i think.
I bought a Craftsman mower when I moved into my house and it was a POS from day one. A cordless drill is good, that's almost a must have but I'll never buy any other type of cordless tool. I usually just buy the cheapest B&D one I can find knowing it's going to be junk in a couple years. It really depends on how often you use them, if you make your living with your tools then it's worth it to buy good ones.

cdcox
07-20-2009, 08:08 PM

I agree with this, except for a drill. I relied on a corded drill for 25 years, but wouldn't go back after using a cordless one. You use a drill for so many things and in so many different places that not having to hassle with a cord and/or extension cord is worth it.

Baconeater
07-20-2009, 08:09 PM
That's another one i wasn't sure of. Didn't know if porter cable was a legit brand or not.
I have a Porter Cable pressure washer, it's 5 yrs old and used fairly regularly and I haven't had a lick of trouble with it.

Although I mostly attribute that to the fact that is has a Honda engine on it. :)

cdcox
07-20-2009, 08:10 PM

For corded hand tools (routers, circular saws, drills) people swear by them.

booger
07-20-2009, 08:13 PM
I do not know about the other brands, but I sure do like the Milwaukee Drill and Sawsall. That is all we have on our trucks at work ( Elec. Utility ). Drills a 3/4" hole through a pole with no problems. Have not had problems with any of them.

I think i'll end up buying the drill and in the mean time just rent from a local rental place when the need for a saw arises. I could probably save up down the road for a chop saw or circular saw and be happier in the long run.

L.A. Chieffan
07-20-2009, 08:16 PM
I think i'll end up buying the drill and in the mean time just rent from a local rental place when the need for a saw arises. I could probably save up down the road for a chop saw or circular saw and be happier in the long run.

depends on the jobs youre doing. chop and circular saws for carpentry and sawzall for plumbing

booger
07-20-2009, 08:16 PM
I have a Porter Cable pressure washer, it's 5 yrs old and used fairly regularly and I haven't had a lick of trouble with it.

Although I mostly attribute that to the fact that is has a Honda engine on it. :)

i see that craftsman mowers have been using some honda engines the last few years.

booger
07-20-2009, 08:18 PM
For corded hand tools (routers, circular saws, drills) people swear by them.

i'll have to read up on them and see who carries them in my area.

booger
07-20-2009, 08:20 PM
depends on the jobs youre doing. chop and circular saws for carpentry and sawzall for plumbing

yep. I leave the plumbing to the pros mostly but sawzall i don't think i would use as much so my trusty hack saw should do.:)

booger
07-20-2009, 08:21 PM
anybody ever go the refurbished route on any power tools? I've seen some bargains here and there online.

mikeyis4dcats.
07-20-2009, 08:30 PM
or a homeowner I'd recommend Rigid. They are the only one AFAIK that offers lifetime warranty on the battery, and for a homeowner the lack of use will be worse on the battery than a contractor to charges them regularly.

milwaukee used to be our tool of choice but they changed warranty terms about 5 years ago and we have now switched to DeWalt as the tool of choice.

Whatever you get I strongly recommend you get an impact driver. They rock.

RedandGold
07-20-2009, 08:42 PM
I have that same Milwaukee drill, and it's great to use around the house. It's lightweight, has plenty of power, and is extremely well-balanced.

The Li-Ion Battery has a good life, and with the 30-minute charger, you'll always have one ready to go on longer projects. The state of charge indicator is a nice bonus as well.

If you go that route, you won't be disappointed.

booger
07-20-2009, 08:47 PM
I have that same Milwaukee drill, and it's great to use around the house. It's lightweight, has plenty of power, and is extremely well-balanced.

The Li-Ion Battery has a good life, and with the 30-minute charger, you'll always have one ready to go on longer projects. The state of charge indicator is a nice bonus as well.

cool, thanks.

aturnis
07-20-2009, 08:48 PM
This (http://www.cpoprotools.com/products/zrr9223.html?ref=frooglezrr9223) is what I did.

http://www.cpoprotools.com/images/product/ridgid/large/zrr9223.jpg

Bottom line... $299

Comes with two 18V batteries, not Lithium Ion, but you might want to check and see if they're interchangeable. I think there are some brands that might work with the older models.

I've used the hell out of mine, and haven't had any problems yet. Phil is right though, you might want to get a corded circular saw, otherwise, after a bunch of cuts with one battery, you might need to change batteries mid cut. I was cutting 4X4's with mine this weekend and didn't have much of a problem, but I'm sure it'd get annoying if you're doing it all day.

The impact driver is a MUST. Haven't found a more essential tool yet.

Also, as you'll notice, it is refurbished. It is factory refurbished, which is big, and comes with a 1yr. warranty. Also, I talked with one of their reps, and if somebody buys a 5pc. kit, and one tool goes bad, ALL of the tools go back and they get a brand new set. So chances are, only one of your refurbished tools went bad, the rest just got tuned up.

Move on your own discretion, but no problems here.

booger
07-20-2009, 09:03 PM
that's a good deal aturnis. I'll have to consider that one.

Phobia
07-20-2009, 09:18 PM

Cordless PC is another story. Black & Decker owns DeWalt, Porter Cable, and Delta. Porter Cable corded tools are strong. They didn't do much in the cordless world when they were a stand-alone company. Black & Decker seems to be using their brand to compete in the Ryobi segment of the market. I wouldn't buy PC cordless but if you'd consider Ryobi you should consider PC.

sparkky
07-21-2009, 07:00 AM
from my professional use I prefer a DeWalt battery drill over a Milwaukee, especially if it's a hammer drill.

tmax63
07-21-2009, 07:16 AM
Another testimony to the lithium batteries. They weigh alot less and hold a charge longer. I have a Ryobi kit and like them alot. Cost about a 1/3 of Dewalt and last about 2/3's as long. Was undecided when they had regular batteries but when they came out with the lithium I just got new batteries and a charger. I've built 2 metal barns and helped build a church. I have worn out one drill and working on the second one but the other pieces are still good. I have bought 2 different kits so I have a sawz-all, mini-Skill, flashlights etc. Last piece of advice is pick out one brand and stick with which ever you choose so you don't end up with tools laying around that don't work.

Baby Lee
07-21-2009, 08:17 AM
Ryobi, while probably not up there with the Dewalts and Milwaukee's give good bang for buck in the +One series. Recently chopped up a big branch, with pieces ranging from the diameter of your arm to the diameter of a bowling ball with the sawzall and mini chainsaw, after it fell on my fence in a storm. Thing was a good 15 feet long and I probably made 20 cuts, and only needed one recharge [actually a swap, since I have 6 batteries] throughout.

Brock
07-21-2009, 08:22 AM
Dewalt 18 volt, buy nothing else.

rageeumr
07-21-2009, 08:26 AM
My two cents: I have owned 3 or 4 cordless drills, and the DeWalt that I have now has lasted at least twice as long (still kicking) with at least 3 or 4 times more use and abuse than the other drills (granted the others were cheapies). I bought it when I started finishing my basement in March of 2006, and it got darn near daily use for a year or so and pretty regular use since then. Nothing like what Phil puts his tools through, but I would say above average for a weekend warrior.

I really like the Milwaukee Li-Ion drills, but with the luck I've had with this one, I'll probably buy another DeWalt.

I also have a cordless sawzall and circular saw as well. IMO, the sawzall definitely has some utility and depending on how much work you do around your house, can come in pretty handy. Cordless circular saws are completely useless to me. Usually I don't need a circular saw for a "quick" job. If I'm using a circular saw, I'm probably clearing an area, setting up a sawhorse, etc.... so dragging out an extension cord isn't really a big deal.

Groves
07-21-2009, 10:24 AM
For some jobs, you're greatly helped by batteries that last a long time. Jobsites, etc.

The lithium ion is the way to go there.

For others, they may be in a shop all day with plenty of access to power and chargers. They may appreciate weight and balance more than time between charges.

I do know DeWalt just came out with a compact lithium ion battery that is half the weight of the standard lithium ion battery. They both fit the same units.

Know what you want to use it for, then purchase based on those criteria.

On a roof all day trimming rafters? In a shop all day driving pocket screws?

Fish
07-21-2009, 10:50 AM
Do you happen to have an 18V charger you won't need when you buy your new tools? I'm looking for an 18V charger on the cheap....

Phobia
07-21-2009, 11:24 AM
Do you happen to have an 18V charger you won't need when you buy your new tools? I'm looking for an 18V charger on the cheap....

For which brand?

Fish
07-21-2009, 11:37 AM
For which brand?

Ryobi. But Craftsman 18V chargers work with my Ryobi batteries too. Maybe others, haven't tested.

kcmaxwell
07-21-2009, 03:04 PM
i had an 18v porter-cable hammer drill that kicked ass, i wouldnt own another...

Baby Lee
07-21-2009, 03:07 PM
i had an 18v porter-cable hammer drill that kicked ass, i wouldnt own any other...
One letter and one space makes that post a lot less confusing. Just saying . . . ;)

aturnis
07-21-2009, 03:46 PM
i had an 18v porter-cable hammer drill that kicked ass, i wouldnt own another...

I notice you HAD...just sayin'. :D

Earthling
07-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Ive used Ryobi cordless circular saws and drills for years and like them. They are a bit cheaper in price than the DeWalt and similar brands but are rugged and durable. I have a Milwaukee sawz-all (corded) and a DeWalt cordless sawz-all that I use a whole lot more than I thought I would. Looking at power tools is kind of like looking at toys around X'mas as a kid. :thumb:

cdcox
07-21-2009, 05:39 PM
Ive used Ryobi cordless circular saws and drills for years and like them. They are a bit cheaper in price than the DeWalt and similar brands but are rugged and durable. I have a Milwaukee sawz-all (corded) and a DeWalt cordless sawz-all that I use a whole lot more than I thought I would. Looking at power tools is kind of like looking at toys around X'mas as a kid. :thumb:

Yep I know that feeling. I want to try my hand at some woodworking. I'm looking at a Bench Dog cast iron router table extension for my Ridgid Table saw, and a Freud FT2200 router to go with it. I've also been scoping cragslist for a good deal on a used 8" jointer -- I can't really justify that purchase yet, but if I find a deal good enough I might pull the trigger.

booger
07-21-2009, 10:12 PM

That's the one i got. Sears had it for 199. Drill, charger, and 2 batts.

I'll eventually pick up the impact driver and maybe the light. You can get tool only versions on the net that fit the same battery. Bare tool i think they list them as. No case or battery just the tool. Haven't used it yet but the charge level indicator on the batteries is cool.

Thanks for all the advice fellas!

booger
07-21-2009, 10:17 PM

My old drill, was a coleman. yes coleman, i thought they only made camping equipment. An xmas gift. Anyway, the battery doesn't hold a charge that well anymore and i know a young buck HS kid who is starting to mess around with that stuff and gave him the drill/charger to give him a good start. Now i have to see if there are any brands of batteries that can interchange when he comes by belly aching about the battery!:)