PDA

View Full Version : Royals First Round Draft Pick

cabletech94
07-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Never posted a thread on here before, and I didn't see it yet:

Just saw on the espn ticker that it doesn't appear the Washington Nationals will sign the #1 draft pick Scott StephenBacker (or whatever his name is, SORRY).

What are the odds that KC will have Hochevar, Crowe (if he signs), and the new Mr. Baseball by this time next year?

DeezNutz
07-21-2009, 05:53 PM
We specialize in players who sit out a year. Our owner likes "their fire."

So, maybe.

Ebolapox
07-21-2009, 05:58 PM
stephen strasberg.

and he'd be the first overall pick next year if the nats don't hold the first pick.

cabletech94
07-21-2009, 06:47 PM
stephen strasberg.

and he'd be the first overall pick next year if the nats don't hold the first pick.

Correct name rep!
Thanks bro!

duncan_idaho
07-21-2009, 07:22 PM
Strasbourg wants huge money. Tens of millions guaranteed money. That MIGHT cause him to fall next year (and is the best reason MLB should initiate a rookie salary cap).

I'm not so sure he's the sure-fire No. 1 overall pick. If Bryce Harper (the HS junior who is getting his GED and going JUCO in the fall) is successful in skirting his senior year of HS and becoming eligible for the 2010 draft, he MIGHT jump Strasbourg.

58kcfan89
07-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Strasbourg wants huge money. Tens of millions guaranteed money. That MIGHT cause him to fall next year (and is the best reason MLB should initiate a rookie salary cap).

I'm not so sure he's the sure-fire No. 1 overall pick. If Bryce Harper (the HS junior who is getting his GED and going JUCO in the fall) is successful in skirting his senior year of HS and becoming eligible for the 2010 draft, he MIGHT jump Strasbourg.

This. Except Harper probably wants just as much, if not more than Strasburg. And considering Strasburg could be ready to pitch in the majors by the end of the year and Harper will need a few years in the minors, Harper may not jump him...

Figures that the Royals get the #1 pick (for the only time ever, despite how terrible they've been in the past) and there's no David Price, Strasburg, Harper, Upton, etc. as the next superstar #1 pick...

duncan_idaho
07-21-2009, 08:52 PM
This. Except Harper probably wants just as much, if not more than Strasburg. And considering Strasburg could be ready to pitch in the majors by the end of the year and Harper will need a few years in the minors, Harper may not jump him...

Figures that the Royals get the #1 pick (for the only time ever, despite how terrible they've been in the past) and there's no David Price, Strasburg, Harper, Upton, etc. as the next superstar #1 pick...

It will certainly be interesting. Could the Nats have to pass on Strasbourg AND Harper next year? Would be pretty sucky to have the No. 1 pick and pass on both these talents for signability reasons.

I'd guess the Royals end up at No. 3. Just out of range of both players (of course).

sedated
07-21-2009, 10:04 PM
Royals will need to do a lot of losing to get the #1 pick.

They are pretty good at losing, but they are even better at fu*king their organization up, so I doubt it.

Mecca
07-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Everyone complained that Rick Porcello wanted to much money...I think everyone here would gladly pay that money and get rid of some of the scrubs we spent it on.

DeezNutz
07-21-2009, 10:24 PM
x2 with Wieters.

That 8 mil. looks ok about now.

Mecca
07-21-2009, 10:26 PM
x2 with Wieters.

That 8 mil. looks ok about now.

The Royals spend 8 million dollars on the catcher position, fathom that stupidity. They are paying 8 million for 2 scrubs.

DeezNutz
07-21-2009, 10:30 PM
The Royals spend 8 million dollars on the catcher position, fathom that stupidity. They are paying 8 million for 2 scrubs.

If Glass were even paying attention, that's the type of decision that demands an answer, and a good one.

Ok, so you didn't select a big-time prospect, but you paid the same amount for two backup catchers? Are you really that fucking stupid?

If Glass wouldn't have allowed the Royals to select Wieters b/c of his contract demands, well, I don't even want to get started on this stupid douche.

chiefqueen
07-21-2009, 10:41 PM
stephen strasberg.

Even if the Nats hold the #1 overall by rule they CAN NOT draft him again. They were not allowed to draft Crow with either of their picks before KC this year.

Reaper16
07-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Kansas City Royals Baseball...

No positive press 'til next June!

DJ's left nut
07-21-2009, 10:48 PM
If Glass were even paying attention, that's the type of decision that demands an answer, and a good one.

Ok, so you didn't select a big-time prospect, but you paid the same amount for two backup catchers? Are you really that ****ing stupid?

If Glass wouldn't have allowed the Royals to select Wieters b/c of his contract demands, well, I don't even want to get started on this stupid douche.

Moore's not the only penny-wise, pound foolish GM in baseball. The Cards also passed on Porcello citing signability. They're spending $4 million on Todd Wellemeyer this season...ugh.

And remember -- If Washington doesn't sign Strastburg, they get his equivalent in next year's draft. And as bad as the Royals are, I'm not sure the have the horses to catch the Nationals.

In other words, the gnats could easily hold the #1 and #2 picks next season. I wouldn't be surprised to see them deal Dunn soon in order to clear the $$ to make a run for SS and Harper (though I very seriously doubt Harper actually gets the go-ahead).

It's actually not a horrible strategy. Why pay for a year of Strasburg's development? Let him pitch indy-league for a season on meal money then sign him to his deal next year with the compensatory pick you got for not signing him this season. 1 more year of development, 1 more year of capital contributions, 1 more year to see if Strasburg blow's up.

DJ's left nut
07-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Even if the Nats hold the #1 overall by rule they CAN NOT draft him again. They were not allowed to draft Crow with either of their picks before KC this year.

I think they can take him, just not with the same pick. So if they get the #1 overall, couldn't they use it on him and use their comp pick on Harper?

Then again maybe I'm totally out to lunch on this one.

I doubt it matters much, they'll get him signed. This is just standard posturing from Borass.

DeezNutz
07-21-2009, 10:59 PM
And as bad as the Royals are, I'm not sure the have the horses to catch the Nationals.

Classic KC right here.

Suck ass, oops, #2 pick behind Upton. Suck ass again, oops, #2 pick behind Price. 'Tis the way of the world, Congreve.

DJ's left nut
07-21-2009, 11:06 PM
Classic KC right here.

Suck ass, oops, #2 pick behind Upton. Suck ass again, oops, #2 pick behind Price. 'Tis the way of the world, Congreve.

I'm a Blues fan, we managed to turn the same trick. We got the #1 overall pick the year after Sidney Crosby and the year before Patrick Kane.

Our #1 overall pick managed a decent rookie season then blew his knee out due to a runaway golf-cart.