PDA

View Full Version : Football Scouts Inc.: Film shows LT on the decline

Claynus
07-21-2009, 06:05 PM
LJ > LT

Suck it, Eggos.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-2451/Scouts-Inc---Film-shows-LT-on-the-decline.html

It pains me to say it because I respect what he has accomplished a great deal, but LaDainian Tomlinson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=2553) is heavily on the decline and the end is near for an all-time great running back. I base this on one thing -- film.

<table align="right" border="0"> <tbody><tr> <td> <table bgcolor="#c0c0c0" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="190"> <tbody><tr> <td> <table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="1" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td colspan="5" bgcolor="#ffffff">Chadiha on LT</td> </tr> <tr> <td bgcolor="#f4f4f4">ESPN.com's Jeffri Chadiha takes a look at LaDainian Tomlinson's mindset after turning 30. Story (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeffri&id=4344070)
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> Tomlinson clearly was injured to some degree throughout last season, and I really have no way of judging how severe those injuries were. Also, his offensive line declined to some degree as well in 2008. But the Tomlinson of old would have shined despite the blocking he received last season. He was that good in his prime. He is not that good now.

As we enter 2009, there isn't a player I am more excited to see in the preseason than Tomlinson. All reports coming out of minicamp are extremely positive. But I want to see it on the field. However, this is a great player who has never needed the preseason and I would doubt we will get many glimpses of him until opening day. That is unfortunate from an evaluation standpoint, but there are some things about him that we do know. And most of them are no longer positive.

<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="4" width="200"> <tbody><tr> <td>
</td> <td>http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0310/nfl_g_tomlinson01_200.jpg</td> </tr> <tr> <td>
</td> <td align="left">Donald Miralle/Getty Images</td> </tr> <tr> <td>
</td> <td align="left">Injuries have taken a toll on Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson.</td> </tr> </tbody></table> First, he has taken a beating over the years. Despite his tremendous elusiveness and vision -- he rarely took big head-on shots -- the wear is beginning to deteriorate his once massive skill set.
He no longer explodes out of his cuts like he once did. He rarely breaks long runs -- one of the very first things to go in a great running back. His trademark jump cuts are not what they once were. He doesn't make your jaw drop in the open field and doesn't move the pile as he once did.

Some of this can be attributed to his toe injury, but last year's Tomlinson is more of what we will see than the great Tomlinson of the past. At this point, he gets what is given to him and little more.

Tomlinson eclipsed the 100-yard rushing mark only twice last season, with a high of 106 yards. Those two games were against the Oakland Raiders (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=oak) and New Orleans Saints (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=nor) -- not exactly high-end run defenses. Tomlinson's eyes see the play to make, but his body can't finish it off. That is what happens when great players decline.

Tomlinson's game isn't going to fall off a cliff; it should be a more gradual slide. His yards per carry declined in each of the past two years, dipping to a measly 3.8 in 2008. There will be fewer and fewer highlight runs -- even though he is now a part of a deadly passing offense that will pull defenders out of the box.

The injuries probably will continue to be a problem -- that is simply what happens to running backs with the number of carries he has logged. A reduced workload -- giving way to Darren Sproles (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8544) at times -- should do Tomlinson some good for the short term, but banking on him to be as durable as he once was would be unwise. He is now a complementary piece of an exceptional offense. Philip Rivers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5529) must be the central figure.

He will continue to be productive. If you had to pick one running back who would get double-digit touchdowns this season, Tomlinson very well could be the choice. He is still an elite short-yardage runner and his competitiveness cannot be denied.

He also remains an excellent pass-catching option. But make no mistake,
he is declining and the Tomlinson of old is now just someone of the past. Someone we can only see on tape.

Scouts Inc. watches games, breaks down film and studies football from all angles for ESPN.com.

Pablo
07-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Tell me about it, I drafted that asshole No. 1 overall in my FF league last year.

Still won it, but LT sure as shit didn't help me much.

Buck
07-21-2009, 06:13 PM
Sig Bet?

bogey
07-21-2009, 06:15 PM
Tomlinson clearly was injured to some degree throughout last season, and I really have no way of judging how severe those injuries were.

Doesn't this statement kind of work against the article?

Claynus
07-21-2009, 06:17 PM
Sig Bet?

Bring it. LJ will have more yards in 09.

Valiant
07-21-2009, 06:21 PM

Do not know if I would take that bet.. The Chiefs will be down a lot and throwing more then running.. I would go with 5-10 RB's will have more rushing over straight up against LJ..

Buck
07-21-2009, 06:23 PM

I seem to remember you losing that same sig bet last year, and me letting you off the hook.

Heres my offer. I am not so confident in LT having more yards than LJ (only because he'll be splitting time more than LJ will), but I am positive he will have more TDs.

Lets do this.

Each RB gets 1 pt per yard and 50 pts per TD

Whoever has the most at the end of the season wins.

Claynus
07-21-2009, 06:23 PM
Do not know if I would take that bet.. The Chiefs will be down a lot and throwing more then running.. I would go with 5-10 RB's will have more rushing over straight up against LJ..

I don't think LT is going to last 16 games.

Claynus
07-21-2009, 06:25 PM
I seem to remember you losing that same sig bet last year, and me letting you off the hook.

Heres my offer. I am not so confident in LT having more yards than LJ (only because he'll be splitting time more than LJ will), but I am positive he will have more TDs.

Lets do this.

Each RB gets 1 pt per yard and 50 pts per TD

Whoever has the most at the end of the season wins.

You're on, Whale's Vagina Resident.

Buck
07-21-2009, 06:30 PM
You're on, Whale's Vagina Resident.

Alright.

You realize you are going down?

Claynus
07-21-2009, 06:34 PM
Alright.

Shut up, bitch.

DaFace
07-21-2009, 06:39 PM
This is clearly groundbreaking news.

Buck
07-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Oh yeah, what are the terms of the bet? Like what are the rules about the sig, and the length?

Brock
07-21-2009, 06:41 PM
He also lacks heart.

Claynus
07-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Oh yeah, what are the terms of the bet? Like what are the rules about the sig, and the length?

I say the entire offseason. Complete control over the other's sig. Can change it whenever you want.

Buck
07-21-2009, 06:54 PM
Alright sounds good, but don't abuse the power. Like don't make me change it every hour every day...well I won't make you do that since I'm going to win.

milkman
07-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Alright.

He's always going down.

Ebolapox
07-21-2009, 07:02 PM

sucker's bet. you're gonna annihilate gc.

Claynus
07-21-2009, 07:03 PM
LT will be lucky to last 16 games, and the Chargers are going to throw the ball more, plus give it to Sproles more.

Buck is fucked.

milkman
07-21-2009, 07:07 PM
LT will be lucky to last 16 games, and the Chargers are going to throw the ball more, plus give it to Sproles more.

Buck is ****ed.

Tomlinson is still a runner with better vision and more patience than LJ, and a far better receiver.

We are going to see Charles a lot on 3rd downs and other passing situations.

LJ won't get many more opportunities tha Tomlinson, and Tomlinson is going to be out to prove he's not done yet, while LJ only wants to make sure he gets paid.

I can't even fathom why anyone would be a fan of LJ.

Buck
07-21-2009, 07:15 PM
Yeah, we're counting Recieving Yards and TDs as well.

Claynus
07-21-2009, 07:17 PM
We most certainly are not.

milkman
07-21-2009, 07:17 PM
We most certainly are not.

Pussy.

Claynus
07-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Maybe so, but LJ isn't going to be used much as a receiver.

So I'm not counting receiving yards or receiving touchdowns. That's fair.

milkman
07-21-2009, 07:20 PM
That actually further illustrates just how fucking useless LJ is.

He's a one dimensional, and I mean one dimension, and you can't make a bet on him doing any more than that one dimension.

milkman
07-21-2009, 07:21 PM

No it isn't.

Buck
07-21-2009, 07:23 PM

Pussy.

Whatevs, it don't matter.

Claynus
07-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Pussy.

Whatevs, it don't matter.

LT is going down hard this season.

Sproles may be starting by season's end. :evil:

Claynus
07-21-2009, 07:28 PM
That actually further illustrates just how fucking useless LJ is.

He's a one dimensional, and I mean one dimension, and you can't make a bet on him doing any more than that one dimension.

Sounds like you're going to be really pissed off this year when he's scoring all those touchdowns.

milkman
07-21-2009, 07:39 PM
Sounds like you're going to be really pissed off this year when he's scoring all those touchdowns.

Pissed off?

No.

But I won't be jumping on the LJ bandwagon anytime soon either.

RBs are a dime a dozen, and I like versatile RBs like Priest far better.

Buck
07-21-2009, 07:41 PM
LT is going down hard this season.

Sproles may be starting by season's end. :evil:

So quit being a pussy.

Claynus
07-21-2009, 07:42 PM
So quit being a pussy.

I'm just trying to be fair.

I'm not going to enter into a competition where I'm at a disadvantage, i.e. where LT has more total touches.

If you feel you are at a disadvantage with LT and LJ having a relatively equal number of touches, perhaps you should back out. :evil:

Buck
07-21-2009, 07:51 PM
I'm just trying to be fair.

I'm not going to enter into a competition where I'm at a disadvantage, i.e. where LT has more total touches.

If you feel you are at a disadvantage with LT and LJ having a relatively equal number of touches, perhaps you should back out. :evil:

If LT and LJ have the same amt of touches I'm taking LT. I just dont think hes going to have the same amount of carries. I think that his carries + receptions will be a little closer to LJs carries.

Psyko Tek
07-21-2009, 11:29 PM
I don't think LT is going to last 16 games.

I don't think LJ's gonna last past when the gauranteed money kicks in

Reerun_KC
07-21-2009, 11:42 PM
I don't think LJ's gonna last past when the gauranteed money kicks in

Dude is worthless as it is now... The Chiefs would be a better football team without him... He provides nothing to this team, nor to the future of this team... The sooner he gets hurt, released, traded (ROFL, dude is washed up) or just flat out quits, the better this team will be...

Claynus
07-21-2009, 11:43 PM
Dude is worthless as it is now... The Chiefs would be a better football team without him... He provides nothing to this team, nor to the future of this team... The sooner he gets hurt, released, traded (ROFL, dude is washed up) or just flat out quits, the better this team will be...

Todd Haley disagrees with you.

Reerun_KC
07-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Todd Haley disagrees with you.

Fine, let him, he has the right to, but the first time LJ stands there like normal and wiffs a simple block, while allowing Cassell to get crushed.

LJ isnt going to like the reaction of one said Mr Haley.... Sooner the cancer is removed from the team, the better the team will be...

Jethopper
07-22-2009, 12:31 AM
Fine, let him, he has the right to, but the first time LJ stands there like normal and wiffs a simple block, while allowing Cassell to get crushed.

LJ isnt going to like the reaction of one said Mr Haley.... Sooner the cancer is removed from the team, the better the team will be...

Not with Kolby Smith getting 15 touches a game...........

Claynus
07-22-2009, 12:32 AM

Kolby freakin' Smith can't even get on the field at this point.

He'll be lucky to make the roster.

Reerun_KC
07-22-2009, 07:19 AM

True, thats a great point... Lets hope Smith, actually anyone steps up and replaces LJ... We will need guys like Smith and Charles to fill the void left by our high priced one dimensional back....