PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports This is how you got your KC sports news in 1977

Deberg_1990
07-22-2009, 10:21 AM
ROFL

We are certainly spoiled now days.....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NW5feB3OySk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NW5feB3OySk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Goldmember
07-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Good find....I think LMAO

milkman
07-22-2009, 10:29 AM
I don't know.

In many ways, simpler was better.

MOhillbilly
07-22-2009, 10:40 AM
I don't know.

I know i payed a hell of alot more attention to sports when all we had was hard print media and 3 minutes of sports on the big 3.

pikesome
07-22-2009, 10:45 AM
I think my eyes got splinters from the wood paneling.

Goldmember
07-22-2009, 10:48 AM
I think my eyes got splinters from the wood paneling.

LMAO

Blindside58
07-22-2009, 10:51 AM
If you watch it all the way through, they get to a segment concerning the "Swine Flu" epidemic of 1977. Interesting

Deberg_1990
07-22-2009, 11:08 AM
I don't know.

The instant news world we live in now days creates a certain frenzied, out of control enviroment.

Things seemed alot more relaxed back then.

T-post Tom
07-22-2009, 11:29 AM
Great find but somehow I found that unnerving.

jwazzie
07-22-2009, 12:06 PM
Dayton: We only need 6 more to win the division over California!!!

Denny Matthews: That was 32 years ago you moron.

Dayton: But it just said...

Denny Matthews: Shutup...just shutup!

gblowfish
07-22-2009, 12:17 PM
Don "The Weasel" Fortune.
He was the Kevin Keitzman of the 1970s.
I saw Don in a bar in Canton, Ohio when Len Dawson went into the Pro Football HOF.
Then ten years later I saw him in a bar in Albany, NY, when George Brett went into the Baseball HOF. That's the only two times I've met him in person.

cdcox
07-22-2009, 12:46 PM
I didn't bother watching sports on TV back then (except Sunday night after the Chiefs game). But I poured over the sports page. I'd spend a half an hour on the box scores of the NFL and MLB games.

What is even funnier is that back then, the only highlights you saw were on Monday Night Football. No highlights Sunday Night. No ESPN. Just 5 minutes of highlights at halftime of MNF. It was like gold. And if they failed to show highlights after a rare Chief win, it ruined the whole night.

Dr. Facebook Fever
07-22-2009, 01:29 PM
I'd take that over listening to boo-ya and all the bullshit on ESPN and Fox Sports and pretty much any of the other sports coverage today. Simple works for me. And I miss Mel Allen on This Week In Baseball. That was good stuff.

As far as the set and clothing styles go, yeah they look cheesey now and we laugh... just like our kids and grandkids will do when they look at the way we do things now in years.

Demonpenz
07-22-2009, 01:42 PM
reminds me in bull duram when the guy is getting the action over the phone and he cracks wood and plays a applause soundtrack to describe the action

ChiTown
07-22-2009, 01:44 PM
I didn't bother watching sports on TV back then (except Sunday night after the Chiefs game). But I poured over the sports page. I'd spend a half an hour on the box scores of the NFL and MLB games.

What is even funnier is that back then, the only highlights you saw were on Monday Night Football. No highlights Sunday Night. No ESPN. Just 5 minutes of highlights at halftime of MNF. It was like gold. And if they failed to show highlights after a rare Chief win, it ruined the whole night.

This. Absoulutely this.

It's amazing how no one ever missed Howard Cosell's halftime. Hell, even if you weren't into the game, you wouldn't miss the halftime. God, that seems like a million years ago...........:sulk:

ROYC75
07-22-2009, 02:00 PM
. And I miss Mel Allen on This Week In Baseball. That was good stuff.

Me too ! Those were the days.

Guru
07-22-2009, 02:03 PM
I miss those days.

Raised On Riots
07-22-2009, 02:08 PM
When did Chevy Chase work for KMBC?

stevieray
07-22-2009, 02:15 PM

man, what great memories waitng for that halftime show....HC could get you going with that expanded vocabulary....my mom always let me stay up late till it was over.

Who was the guy who hosted Bowling for Dollars..?

what's funny to me is comng home to KC 20 years later and hearing the same Standard Imptovemnt Company..@ Wesport (WE) I 7100 commercial on the radio.

also, digging Larry Moore's Elvis haircut and burns ROFL

cdcox
07-22-2009, 03:08 PM
Who was the guy who hosted Bowling for Dollars..?

Fred "The Bread Man" Brosky

WilliamTheIrish
07-22-2009, 03:14 PM
1977. I got all my sports information from the 46 games I attended at Royals Stadium that year. 102-60. Unbelievable season. Unforgettable summer. Crushing October.

ChiTown
07-22-2009, 03:16 PM

God Bless, Fred Broski.

Another item we would stop dinner for to watch. You would have thought we were watching the original launch of the space shuttle.....every night.ROFL

HemiEd
07-22-2009, 03:33 PM
Those were the days, like cdcox, spent a lot of time reading the sports section. Always watched the 10pm sports, hardly ever missed it.

Also, it was about that time we got cable and ESPN, when it was actually fun to watch. Oh for the days of Austrailian rules football!

Ultra Peanut
07-22-2009, 03:38 PM
yall old

Skip Towne
07-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Back in the early 60's there was only one baseball game on TV each week. It was called "The game of the week" I think. Dizzy Dean was the play by play guy and I forget who his partner was. Anybody know?

stevieray
07-22-2009, 04:03 PM

YES! I watched that with my grams, and then we would watch "Name that Tune"

rep to who can tell me the girl who sang on that show..

"I can name that une in four notes"

Monty
07-22-2009, 04:17 PM
YES! I watched that with my grams, and then we would watch "Name that Tune"

rep to who can tell me the girl who sang on that show..

"I can name that une in four notes"

That would be Kathy Lee Gifford, Kathy Lee Johnson at the time.

Rain Man
07-22-2009, 04:29 PM
This. Absoulutely this.

It's amazing how no one ever missed Howard Cosell's halftime. Hell, even if you weren't into the game, you wouldn't miss the halftime. God, that seems like a million years ago...........:sulk:

I loved that halftime show with the highlights. It was a treasure to get to see all of the teams in a ten-minute span.

There were times when the Chiefs game wasn't shown where I lived, and then the news would just say, "Bills 21, Chiefs 17", and that was it. So I had to wait for the paper the next morning to try to figure out what happened. It was agonizing. I remember getting incredibly frustrated when the news wouldn't show any highlights of the game.

I remember Ned Reynolds of the Springfield News shaking his head and saying, "Well, it was another bad day for the Chiefs", and wishing he'd shut up.

Calcountry
07-22-2009, 04:31 PM
This. Absoulutely this.

It's amazing how no one ever missed Howard Cosell's halftime. Hell, even if you weren't into the game, you wouldn't miss the halftime. God, that seems like a million years ago...........:sulk:this

Chiefs coverage really sucked out here in Cal, and that was my only hope, that, and a Brent Musberger update in the middle of the 49ers games.

wild1
07-22-2009, 05:33 PM
Those are some suits!

WilliamTheIrish
07-23-2009, 06:05 AM
Back in the early 60's there was only one baseball game on TV each week. It was called "The game of the week" I think. Dizzy Dean was the play by play guy and I forget who his partner was. Anybody know?

Don't remember that era. I was raised in the era of Curt Gowdy doing play by play and Tony Kubek doing the color portion. That was amended to Joe Garagioloa and Tony K in the mid 70's.

Great days of baseball.

UL Washington
07-24-2009, 08:56 PM
I went 2 for 3 though.

listopencil
07-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Brunson's a douche. Let him walk. Don't cave. What is up with those prima donna Wide Receivers?