PDA

View Full Version : Life Dogs

Mr. Plow
07-22-2009, 12:57 PM
We bought a Chihuahua (Bruiser) several months ago and quickly discovered that small of a dog is NOT the dog to have around 3 small children. He was always under our feet and the kids did not understand "be gentle".

Last night, Bruiser was staying with my parents while the wife & I are out of town. My dad was taking my kids somewhere and backing out of the garage - Bruiser ran under one of the tires. He was severely hurt - broken leg, internal bleeding, and burst bladder among other things. The vets recommended to put him down - which is what we decided.

My kids loved Bruiser. Too much it seemed at times. So, my wife & I decided to not tell him that he was put down. We are going to tell them that we had to get rid of him because he was so small. But, we are going to get another dog for the house - probably this weekend.

So, my question is, what is a loving type of dog - fairly good sized & tough - to have around kids? A dog they can rough house with without worrying about hurting him and without worrying about him getting defensive and biting. I guess I'm asking what are good kid friendly dogs?

DJ's left nut
07-22-2009, 12:58 PM
Labrador.

1000X labrador.

Pestilence
07-22-2009, 12:59 PM
The wife and I have a Lab/Beagle mix that will lay there and let our 2 year old beat on it. The damn dog laid there and let her color her with a sharpie marker. Never bitten her....only knocked her over a few times. Otherwise a loving dog....

Want her? LMAO

Old Dog
Lab

Brock
I have 3 labs. They're the best dogs in the world. However, there's a lot of great dogs available in animal shelters too.

MOhillbilly
American Pitbull Terrier.

This is the be all to end all of canines. If you want i can help you find a goodin.

Scorp
07-22-2009, 01:00 PM
I am a firm believer in Labrador Retriever. Yes they get big but they learn to be very gentle and protective of children. They love to play frisbee and catch.

Pestilence
Oh yeah....and she'll also refuse to leave the kid when she can tell that she's sick.

Old Dog
I wouldn't suggest 1000 of them like DJ's nut did though....just one to start with

Radar Chief
Labrador.

1000X labrador.

This.
Though Iíd add female, males can be bull headed.

Mr. Plow
So, very quickly I'm seeing Lab may be the way to go.

Pestilence
07-22-2009, 01:01 PM

Yah think? :spock:

KC native
07-22-2009, 01:02 PM
I know everyone will say I'm crazy but a properly bred pit bull is great with kids. My dog is awesome with my son and others' kids that come over. They sit on him, pull his ears, lay on him and he never gets upset with them because he can take the punishment. It's funny because he prefers to be bothered by the kids than to be left alone.

That being said each dog is different so even though a breed may be good overall individual dogs can still be screwed up. Either get a dog from the pound that has been tested for temperament (ASPCA does this) or from a breeder where you can meet the parents and see how the dogs are raised.

KC native
07-22-2009, 01:04 PM

Be careful. They are extremely over bred because of their popularity so many of them aren't the stable gentle giants that a lot of people imagine. I know a couple labs that friends own that aren't allowed around kids because they get skittish and have the potential to fear bite.

KCFalcon59
07-22-2009, 01:05 PM
<------------------ Bulldog :thumb:

Fire Me Boy!
07-22-2009, 01:05 PM
How old are the kids?

Sounds big, but from experience, Great Pyrenees are FANTASTIC with everything. They're giant breeds (100+ pounds), but their nature is protective, patient, gentle and mellow. And the one I had was very aware of his size and was without a doubt the most gentle dog I've ever been around.

Even as big as they are, they make great indoor dogs. Seriously, man... just do some google searches on the breed and look into it. Even if you're hesitant to get such a large dog, I'd virtually guarantee you wouldn't regret it.

DJ's left nut
07-22-2009, 01:07 PM
This.
Though Iíd add female, males can be bull headed.

I think just the opposite.

Females can be stubborn and independant. Males are just your standard, happy, oafish dogs, especially if they're fixed. If you breed a male it has a tendancy to get a little stubborn, but otherwise I think they're much easier to work with.

Full disclosure, I've got 3 males passed out on the floor at present. But I've had ample experience with females and I've found them to be far less compliant than males.

If you don't want to go with the more standard route, go with a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog. They're going to get bigger than most labs and don't have near the energy that labs have (i.e. not as playful) but they're just as laid back and will also become protective of children.

If you go with a shelter dog, don't get a puppy. I always advocate shelters and rescue dogs, but not for people with small children w/ little dog experience. You just don't know how a shelter puppy will turn out as it matures. When younger they may not show terrier or something, but as they get older that terrier nature will come out and you'll end up with a bad kid dog. If you're getting a shelter dog, get one that's no younger than 18 mos old, IMO.

Mr. Plow
07-22-2009, 01:09 PM
How old are the kids?

10, 4, 3, 2.

Bill Lundberg
07-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Boxer Boxer Boxer

Donger
Dobermann: There is no substitute.

DJ's left nut
Be careful. They are extremely over bred because of their popularity so many of them aren't the stable gentle giants that a lot of people imagine. I know a couple labs that friends own that aren't allowed around kids because they get skittish and have the potential to fear bite.

Every dog has its risks, Labs have fewer than any I can come up with.

At the same time, you're right that it's important to do at least a little homework on where a puppy comes from. Research the breeder or at least make sure you have access to the mother to see how she behaves.

Yet another reason to side towards slightly more mature shelter dogs, any of those tendencies will be apparent in a hurry.

Just Passin' By
07-22-2009, 01:11 PM

It really depends on your location and the temperment of the adults. A Bernese Mountain Dog, for example would be a great pet for children, but it's got a longer coat and isn't at its best in the hottest climes.

http://www.justdogbreeds.com/bernese-mountain-dog.html

Labradors can be great pets, but they've got to be properly trained. Here's a site that might be able to offer you some more insight:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/children.htm

MOhillbilly
07-22-2009, 01:12 PM
Boxer Boxer Boxer

high strung, bull headed & high maint.

booyaf2
I got a German Shorthair that was a pup when my twins were born. She's always been a great dog around them growing up, now 4. Also got a female yellow lab when they were about 2 years old. Perfect dog for kids. The dog loves them, and they love her. And my baby(shorthair) loves me for getting the lab to keep the other 3 occupied.

Frazod
I had a collie when I was a kid. He was a great dog.

T-post Tom
Labs are awesome and fit the profile of what you're looking for. Females are generally a little more subdued. Regardless of breed, proper training really matters.

Dayze
07-22-2009, 01:14 PM
I have 3 labs. They're the best dogs in the world. However, there's a lot of great dogs available in animal shelters too.

We have a lab mix;
65 lb female. The sweetest dog. Great dog.
Doesnít so much Ďplayí like my other dog etc; but she lkes to play with the other dog. Other than that, she just lays at your feet; cuddles up next to you when she manages to sneak up on the bed etc.

Awesome dog.

Skip Towne
Boston Terrier. They look like they're wearing a tuxedo.

Bill Lundberg

True but also very Loyal, Protective, Great with Kids and Tough

MOhillbilly
07-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Dobermann: There is no substitute.

good luck finding a good one for under a grand after the breed had there balls bred off for 50+ years.

DeezNutz
07-22-2009, 01:15 PM
If you're willing to exercise it properly, at least 2 walks per day, 30 minutes a pop, there is no better dog than an Australian Shepherd.

Herding breeds are fantastic, but you must provide an outlet for the energy.

mlyonsd
07-22-2009, 01:16 PM
My dad's lab is 110 pounds. Pretty big dog. I'd go with a Miniature Labrador.

Same great qualities but about 2/3 the size.

Frosty
My kids grew up with our Australian Shepherd. She's a medium sized dog and always ready to play. She has been very patient with them and never growled or snarled at them, even when being mauled when the kids were little. When we first got her, she would try to herd the boys when they were outside running around but we broke her of that very quickly.

Aussies are very smart, easily trainable and haven't been overbred like a lot of other pure bred dogs. She is pretty active, especially when young but has never been destructive (except when she digs after gophers :mad:). A decent sized yard is a must, though, or, at least, a lot of walking, running, fetch, Frisbee, etc.

MOhillbilly
True but also very Loyal, Protective, Great with Kids and Tough

Tough isnt the word id use. Bully maybe.

MOhillbilly
07-22-2009, 01:17 PM

maybe your dog is just fat.

Donger
07-22-2009, 01:17 PM
good luck finding a good one for under a grand after the breed had there balls bred off for 50+ years.

Expect to pay at least $1,500, yes.

MOhillbilly
07-22-2009, 01:18 PM
If you're willing to exercise it properly, at least 2 walks per day, 30 minutes a pop, there is no better dog than an Australian Shepherd.

Herding breeds are fantastic, but you must provide an outlet for the energy.

down side is they wanna herd,herd,herd. Working dogs can be a real pain in the ass.

Scorp
07-22-2009, 01:18 PM
http://www.coppertonelabs.com/_borders/wagon.jpg

wilas101
07-22-2009, 01:19 PM
We have a great dane and you can't ask for a better house dog. she's very mellow and great with kids.

KC native

Maybe not, might be a mutt. I had a german sheppard black lab mix growing up and he was right at 100 pounds. The size of the german shepard but he looked all black lab.

Just Passin' By
Newfoundlands and Saint Bernards are excellent with kids, but they are very large.

Frosty
07-22-2009, 01:21 PM
down side is they wanna herd,herd,herd.

Ours stopped that very quickly with the boys. No problem at all. I think she gets it all out when playing fetch.

Maybe we got the world's laziest Aussie, but she has no problem laying around the house all day. She is ready to go in an instant, though, if someone says "ball" or "Frisbee".

mlyonsd
07-22-2009, 01:21 PM

He could stand to lose 5 pounds but he's a real big boned dog. Like lots of labs I've seen anyway. When sitting next to the table he could easily see over the top.

Worst part about labs is the shedding.

One more thing, if you pick a dog that has long facial hair just remember you're going to want to keep his water bowl on a rug.

CoMoChief
07-22-2009, 01:22 PM
Labs are great dogs. Very smart, loyal, very trainable, very friendly. Almost too friendly.

MOhillbilly
Maybe not, might be a mutt. I had a german sheppard black lab mix growing up and he was right at 100 pounds. The size of the german shepard but he looked all black lab.

lotta fat dogs in the world.

mlyonsd
Newfoundlands and Saint Bernards are excellent with kids, but they are very large.

Neighbors have a Newfoundland that weighs 180 pounds. He almost looks skinny so you can imagine how large he really is.

DeezNutz
down side is they wanna herd,herd,herd. Working dogs can be a real pain in the ass.

No doubt these dogs need a job or a lot of exercise. Fits my lifestyle, but they're certainly not for everyone.

kc rush
07-22-2009, 01:23 PM
This is the way we went.

http://www.petfinder.com/

Usually they give a description of the dogs temperament and how it interacts with kids and other pets. You also get to meet the dog before taking them in to see how they interact with your family.

We got an Australian cattle dog/German shepherd mix who was 1 year old and already trained. We took her to obedience classes so we could get used to each other and she would understand our commands. We couldn't be happier with her.

MOhillbilly
07-22-2009, 01:24 PM
Ours stopped that very quickly with the boys. No problem at all. I think she gets it all out when playing fetch.

Maybe we got the world's laziest Aussie, but she has no problem laying around the house all day. She is ready to go in an instant, though, if someone says "ball" or "Frisbee".

i like em. and if you can break them of the herd instinct by playing the alpha role 24/7 they can make great pets.

Silock
07-22-2009, 01:24 PM
If you're in the KC area, hit up Wayside Waifs. Get a shelter dog. Not only are you saving 2 dogs (yours and opening up space for a new dog), but the dogs there have already been temperament tested. They can match you up with a selection of several dogs that will work great for your family's needs.

And they have a 30-day return policy if there are unforeseen circumstances.

I wouldn't look for a specific breed so much as a dog with the right temperament to fit your family.

We got all of our cats and our dog from shelters and there's no way that anyone could ever tell that we hadn't raised them ourselves from kittens and a puppy. They're just as loyal as any other dog (perhaps more so).

DJ's left nut
07-22-2009, 01:25 PM

Um...no such animal exists.

Don't get a 'miniature' lab. Don't get a 'white' lab, don't get a 'grey' lab and don't get a 'blue' lab. Red labs are okay, those are just labs that were selectively bred rather than dicked around with.

The others are all labs that have had their genetics ****ed with. The white, grey and blue labs have had recessive alleles activated to screw with their haircolor. A 'miniature' lab is likely either A) a mix-breed or B) simply an American field bred lab from a smaller line.

My 2 adults are hybrids, from a bench line male and a field line female, they're checking in at 70 lbs each. They're 24 inches at the withers. They are small labs, they most assuredly are not 'miniature' labs. If you honestly intend to do that much research, that's the combination I would recommend to anyone. The field lines tend to have better sizes for their frames (diminishing hip problems down the road) and the bench lines simply look a little better. Get that mix of a bench male and a field female and I think you end up with the perfect 'pet line' labrador.

Mr. Plow -- please closely scrutinize any statements like the above. There's a ton of misinformation out there from people that really don't know a damn thing about the breed. They contribute in large part to the overbreeding and do a lot of damage to the reputation of an otherwise sterling animal.

mlyonsd
07-22-2009, 01:26 PM
Labs are great dogs. Very smart, loyal, very trainable, very friendly. Almost too friendly.

Ironic story....Sioux City passed a dog ordinance earlier this year whereby if a dog bites someone an inquiry is done to determine if the dog is vicious. Big controversy in town.

Anyway, one of the city council member's labs bit a jogger passing by and was deemed vicious. I think it's scheduled to be put down this week.

Pioli Zombie
07-22-2009, 01:29 PM
A dog with no heartbeat
Posted via Mobile Device

MOhillbilly
07-22-2009, 01:29 PM
http://pbrc.net/webapp/cgi-bin/search.cgi/dc01d685c0a925186f12aea0b014b567

Just Passin' By
07-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Neighbors have a Newfoundland that weighs 180 pounds. He almost looks skinny so you can imagine how large he really is.

That's one enormous Newfie. Hell, that's as big as my Saint Bernard bitch was, and she wasn't exactly tiny for the breed.

Count Alex's Wins
07-22-2009, 01:31 PM
I had a dobie growing up. I loved him. He was a sweetheart.

Pioli Zombie
07-22-2009, 01:33 PM
They make good sandwiches
Posted via Mobile Device

KC native
07-22-2009, 01:33 PM
lotta fat dogs in the world.

Yes, I bitch out all my friends who let their dogs get fat.

Rooster
07-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Boxer Boxer Boxer

Boxer X 100,000 :thumb:

MOhillbilly
07-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Yes, I bitch out all my friends who let their dogs get fat.

till i started to condition dogs i didnt know any better.

Guy told me my dog was fat and it stung abit inside but i took his advice and he was right.

Frosty
07-22-2009, 01:36 PM
No doubt these dogs need a job or a lot of exercise. Fits my lifestyle, but they're certainly not for everyone.

Does yours bark? Mine has never barked much but has started to lately. She's almost 12 years old, though, and I think her hearing isn't as good as it was. She gets startled more easily now, which sets her off.

Other than that, the only downsides are she sheds a lot and she loves skunks. :spock:

Rooster
07-22-2009, 01:36 PM

:spock::spock: Have you ever owned one or did you read that off of something?

KC native
07-22-2009, 01:39 PM

Guy told me my dog was fat and it stung abit inside but i took his advice and he was right.

I've been lucky with Chief and not had to condition him aside from him playing in the back yard with my other dogs (first a female pit that I had to put down and now a miniature pinscher) and throwing a stick for a little while. He's been stable at 70 pounds his whole life (probably because I monitor his food intake like a hawk).

MOhillbilly
07-22-2009, 01:40 PM

yes, ive owned a few in my day. And been around plenty more. Bulldogs is kinda my thing.

KC native

My brother owns one and I will vouch for his assessment of them. They're great dogs but they require a lot of time and attention.

TrebMaxx
Get a Lab. Or get a Lab mix from a shelter. Best dog I ever had was a Lab/Shepperd mix. Most people couldn't believe she wasn't a full blooded Lab by the way she looked.

DJ's left nut
07-22-2009, 01:41 PM

It's so much easier on them. If your dog doesn't have at least a slight tuck and if you can't feel his ribs with just a little bit of pressure, he's overweight.

Fat dogs have such a tough go of it as they age and by then the damage is already done. Most labs with severe hip issues weren't really resigned to it due to congenital defects. Many of them were juts labs that had mediocre hips which progressed to bad due to poor conditioning.

Keep the weight off your dogs. I also strongly suggest not free-feeding any dog, especially not any large breed. If you control their food, you will always be their boss. So not only is it a health issue, but it aids greatly in establishing just exactly who the BDIC is.

Sofa King
07-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Labs are super easy to own... yellow or chocolate... i wouldnt go black...

male and female are fine..

Pestilence
07-22-2009, 01:43 PM
The wife and I have a Lab/Beagle mix that will lay there and let our 2 year old beat on it. The damn dog laid there and let her color her with a sharpie marker. Never bitten her....only knocked her over a few times. Otherwise a loving dog....

Want her? LMAO

Here she is.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n189/pestilenceaf23/Phoenix.jpg

Fire Me Boy!
07-22-2009, 01:45 PM

Same temperament as the Great Pyrs, too.

MOhillbilly
07-22-2009, 01:45 PM
I've been lucky with Chief and not had to condition him aside from him playing in the back yard with my other dogs (first a female pit that I had to put down and now a miniature pinscher) and throwing a stick for a little while. He's been stable at 70 pounds his whole life (probably because I monitor his food intake like a hawk).

flirtpole is your friend.

stumppy
07-22-2009, 01:46 PM
I've got two Beagles and they have been great as family dogs. Great tempermant and smart dogs. Haven't had any health problems with them which is great as far as vet bills go. I'm begining to think Betty is going to outlive me. She's about 14 yrs old and is as fit and trim as she was 10 yrs ago.

Rooster
07-22-2009, 01:46 PM
yes, ive owned a few in my day. And been around plenty more. Bulldogs is kinda my thing.

I just haven't had that experience at all with mine. He was the runt so maybe his temperment is different.

KC native
07-22-2009, 01:48 PM
flirtpole is your friend.

Yea, don't think the neighbors would look highly upon that (fort worth is pretty conservative so I would be worried about dog fighting paraphenlia allegations). Luckily I have a ton of trees so he gets the lower branchs for me. :D

MOhillbilly
07-22-2009, 01:49 PM
It's so much easier on them. If your dog doesn't have at least a slight tuck and if you can't feel his ribs with just a little bit of pressure, he's overweight.

Fat dogs have such a tough go of it as they age and by then the damage is already done. Most labs with severe hip issues weren't really resigned to it due to congenital defects. Many of them were juts labs that had mediocre hips which progressed to bad due to poor conditioning.

Keep the weight off your dogs. I also strongly suggest not free-feeding any dog, especially not any large breed. If you control their food, you will always be their boss. So not only is it a health issue, but it aids greatly in establishing just exactly who the BDIC is.

all good points. though on a short haired working breed i wanna see some rib.

Lumpy
07-22-2009, 01:51 PM
I had a German Sheppard/Wolf mix when I was a kid... I suggest not getting one of those. He was great w/ me when I was 5 or so. According to my parents, I would pull him around by the ear and he just took it. However, I guess he was a bit overprotective of me and pinned one of my friends down b/c he thought my friend was hurting me when we were rough housing. I miss that dog though. He was a total badass!

Otter
07-22-2009, 01:52 PM
I'll throw in my .02 here and say there's no better dog than a pure bread German Sheppard.

But instead of going on a bunch of personal preferences from the peanut gallery why don't you try something like this instead:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm

MOhillbilly
07-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Yea, don't think the neighbors would look highly upon that (fort worth is pretty conservative so I would be worried about dog fighting paraphenlia allegations). Luckily I have a ton of trees so he gets the lower branchs for me. :D

fishingpole with some cotton cord with a toy/hide. five minutes a day will do wonders. Just dont let the dog mouth it.

DJ's left nut
07-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Labs are super easy to own... yellow or chocolate... i wouldnt go black...

male and female are fine..

Hair color doesn't effect temperment, the genetics are completely seperate. Any evidence to the contrary is purely antecdotal and can be offset by any number if stories that would disagree with it.

Get right down to the hard science of it and you'll find that any distinctions in color comes from the breed lines. Here's the problem with your divisions though -- virtually all recognized lines of yellows also breed blacks. In other words, if you were to draw a distinction between yellows/blacks and chocolates, that might make sense based on the tendencies of breeders rather than pure genetics. If, however, you're going to try to draw a distinction between yellow/chocolate and black...well that's pretty much unsupportable by anything other than a handful of goofy stories.

However, there have been studies done that pretty conclusively establish that some people interact differently with black dogs, they carry a greater stigma about them. I've never actually witnessed it, people treat my black just like my chocolates, but there is ample evidence to support it. If you're concerned with how a fairly minute percentage of the population reacts to your dog, then there may be some merit to that argument.

P.S. Doodle dogs also suck. Designer mutts can kiss my ass. If you want a larger dog that doesn't shed much, get a portegueses water dog.

MOhillbilly
07-22-2009, 01:56 PM
speaking of color, i like a black dog cause badguys cant see em at night.

DJ's left nut
07-22-2009, 01:56 PM
Here's a thought: Vizslas, I kinda forgot about them.

Vizslas are fairly similar to labs in temperment and trainability; they carry their energy a little longer than labs. Your average lab will really mellow out around 18 months, a vizsla takes about 3 years. I'd say they take a little more training but have the same general disposition. They're a little smaller and have a very good looking gold color to them. If shedding is an issue, they have a very short, very tight coat. Unlike Labs, they don't have that heavy undercoat that contributes to such heavy shedding.

They haven't been overbred nearly as badly and they have a slightly better health record. They're very good dogs, they're just pretty tough to find (and a little expensive).

Just another thought.

KC native
07-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Hair color doesn't effect temperment, the genetics are completely seperate. Any evidence to the contrary is purely antecdotal and can be offset by any number if stories that would disagree with it.

Get right down to the hard science of it and you'll find that any distinctions in color comes from the breed lines. Here's the problem with your divisions though -- virtually all recognized lines of yellows also breed blacks. In other words, if you were to draw a distinction between yellows/blacks and chocolates, that might make sense based on the tendencies of breeders rather than pure genetics. If, however, you're going to try to draw a distinction between yellow/chocolate and black...well that's pretty much unsupportable by anything other than a handful of goofy stories.

However, there have been studies done that pretty conclusively establish that some people interact differently with black dogs, they carry a greater stigma about them. I've never actually witnessed it, people treat my black just like my chocolates, but there is ample evidence to support it. If you're concerned with how a fairly minute percentage of the population reacts to your dog, then there may be some merit to that argument.

P.S. Doodle dogs also suck. Designer mutts can kiss my ass. If you want a larger dog that doesn't shed much, get a portegueses water dog.

Anecdotally, I can verify this. My pittie is black with some brindle on his leg and a splash on his cheek. Some people freak out when they first see him but after they realize he is a giant wannabe lap dog they love him. If my wifey wants a laugh she will take him in the car to a drive through and laugh as people freak out about our big bad black pit bull.

DeezNutz
07-22-2009, 01:57 PM

Bullshit. Blondes are dumb. Scientific fact.

morphius
07-22-2009, 02:00 PM
I have a lab sheppard mutt dog, looks like a black lab, and she has never bit the kids no matter what they have done, my little girl loved using her as a pillow. One of our cats will even lay on its head and sleep. Biggest problem with the dog is the tail, dang thing knocks stuff off of short tables and knocks over kids as well.

MeaTy The Pimp
07-22-2009, 02:04 PM
I have an Aussie and a Black Lab and they are both great dogs. As long as you can give them enough attention and exercise, I would recommend either breed. They are great with children, and love to play.

beach tribe
07-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Labrador.

1000X labrador.
As long as you don't live near a farm. They LOVE to find the smelliest pile of shit, and roll in it.

penchief
07-22-2009, 02:42 PM
We had a whippet and it worked out really well. My daughter loved him.

Whippets don't have a mean bone in their body. They love everyone and everything. They just wanna play. They're probably the most athletic breed that exists. They can get up to 35 miles per hour in something like 10 seconds. They turn on a dime and they never get tired. Their stamina is endless. If you want a dog that will put your kids to bed, a whippet will do that.

If you want to just relax a whippet is also the perfect couch potato. It's pretty awesome how easily they adapt to their environment. They will lay by your side and be content to watch TV for hours on end. Also, they like to lay at the foot of the bed at night. Another very good thing about them is that they are very clean dogs because they are short haired and do not shed much at all.

On the down side, they are not great in cold weather. If you live where it can get cold in the winter it will have to stay inside. Also, they have a tendency to get excited when company shows up. However, that is easily overcome if you train them properly. Jackson was very smart and would obey verbal commands. When we had company I could tell him to "go lay down" or "go outside" and he would do which one I told him to do.

I'm sure there are a lot of good breeds out there but whippets are a lot of fun, loyal, smart, and good-natured.

MOhillbilly
07-22-2009, 02:45 PM
They're probably the most athletic breed that exists. They can get up to 35 miles per hour in something like 10 seconds.

ive seen my bulldogs run faster than that for longer.

penchief
07-22-2009, 02:48 PM
ive seen my bulldogs run faster than that for longer.

That's pretty good but I've never seen anything catch a whippet. A greyhound may be faster in the long run but the whippet accelerates faster. I may be estimating high on the number of seconds it takes them to get there, though.

Pioli Zombie
07-22-2009, 03:08 PM
I bet you get 7 of the biggest dogs mentioned here, line them up in the 4-3 or 3-4 and they would do better against the run the last years Chiefs.
Posted via Mobile Device

MOhillbilly
07-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Any verdict?

How about an old boston bulldog?

http://www.oldebostonbulldog.com/aboutus.html

http://www.oldebostonbulldog.com/Sales/Sales.html

wutamess
07-29-2009, 01:09 PM
Be selfish and get an english bulldog.
That's the next dog I'm getting. If I ever get one.

tooge
07-29-2009, 01:12 PM
Our lab died this past winter. Great dog. Great with kids. We couldn't get another lab at this time, still too heartbroken over the last one. We got a Swiss Mountain Dog. Very big, but very gentle, dont shed like labs, dont need as much excercise, and super loyal. The kids climb all over her and she is fine with it. She is 7 months old and about 85 lbs though.

tooge
07-29-2009, 01:16 PM

Whippets don't have a mean bone in their body. They love everyone and everything. They just wanna play. They're probably the most athletic breed that exists. They can get up to 35 miles per hour in something like 10 seconds. They turn on a dime and they never get tired. Their stamina is endless. If you want a dog that will put your kids to bed, a whippet will do that.

If you want to just relax a whippet is also the perfect couch potato. It's pretty awesome how easily they adapt to their environment. They will lay by your side and be content to watch TV for hours on end. Also, they like to lay at the foot of the bed at night. Another very good thing about them is that they are very clean dogs because they are short haired and do not shed much at all.

On the down side, they are not great in cold weather. If you live where it can get cold in the winter it will have to stay inside. Also, they have a tendency to get excited when company shows up. However, that is easily overcome if you train them properly. Jackson was very smart and would obey verbal commands. When we had company I could tell him to "go lay down" or "go outside" and he would do which one I told him to do.

I'm sure there are a lot of good breeds out there but whippets are a lot of fun, loyal, smart, and good-natured.

Da da da da da, "carack that whip"
da da da da da, "break your mothers back"
whippet, wippet good.

Mr. Plow
07-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Any verdict?

How about an old boston bulldog?

http://www.oldebostonbulldog.com/aboutus.html

http://www.oldebostonbulldog.com/Sales/Sales.html

None yet. I neglected to remember that in order to have a bigger dog, I need the space for him to get out of the house and run.....and drop the massive loads.

I've got the room in my back yard, but no fence to contain him. I have a kennel for my other dogs, but a big dog would not get much out of it. We are going to redo the kennel this weekend to add some more space...once I have that done, we'll be getting a new dog.

As of right now, I'm leaning towards a lab.

Mr. Plow
07-29-2009, 01:27 PM
And, since I have never really trained a pet to do anything other than go outside and go to the bathroom, I think some obedience school will be in order....for me and the dog.

JOhn
07-29-2009, 01:28 PM
As of right now, I'm leaning towards a lab.
good choice, though my 1st would be a German Shepherd.

MOhillbilly
07-29-2009, 01:28 PM
Labs are the suck everyone has them. Really uncool dog.

THis on the other hand

http://www.minibull.org/

has a cool factor a lab could never touch.

MOhillbilly
07-29-2009, 01:31 PM
And, since I have never really trained a pet to do anything other than go outside and go to the bathroom, I think some obedience school will be in order....for me and the dog.

A must own for anyone who has a dog. My cousin whos a vet turned me onto this book ages ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Raising-Puppy-Monks-Skete/dp/0316578398

MOhillbilly
07-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Majestic tree hound - big and bold. use them to hunt mnt. lions.

http://home.mindspring.com/~stevemorrow/id3.html

tooge
07-29-2009, 01:36 PM
this is the swiss mountain dog. You wont see any other of these in the neighborhood.

Otter
07-29-2009, 01:37 PM

My buddy Jeff has one of them and I gotta admit it's one of the most laid back dogs I've ever met.

MOhillbilly
07-29-2009, 01:53 PM
My buddy Jeff has one of them and I gotta admit it's one of the most laid back dogs I've ever met.

They may be laid back but they are fugly as hell.

Chiefspants
07-29-2009, 03:23 PM
I grew up with a border collie, she was born about 3 months before I was. And she was the most intelligent dog I have ever known. She always was close to me and loved me throughout my life. If you went outside and said "Ball" she would run to a soccer ball and roll it to you with her nose, then you could kick it back and she would roll it to you again.

She was such an incredible dog and was always a companion to me.

Last year we realized something was wrong by the way she was walking. She was still running up to soccer balls but not doing anything with them when she got to them. We knew something was wrong then. I spent two hours with her that night and pet her the entire night. She passed away the next day, I don't think I've ever cried as hard since that night.

She was a wonderful dog, and some border collies may be a tad aggressive around small children, (Some are really hyper if they can't expell their energy in an outside setting.) But georgia was the perfect dog for me to grow up with.

We have a border collie now named Vince, who lived with Georgia in her last few years, he is also a wonderful dog and is friendly to anyone who comes into the backyard.

Whichever dog/breed you choose, I know it will come to a wonderful home. I just thought I'd share my experience growing up with an incredible dog.

El Jefe
07-29-2009, 03:43 PM
We bought a Chihuahua (Bruiser) several months ago and quickly discovered that small of a dog is NOT the dog to have around 3 small children. He was always under our feet and the kids did not understand "be gentle".

Last night, Bruiser was staying with my parents while the wife & I are out of town. My dad was taking my kids somewhere and backing out of the garage - Bruiser ran under one of the tires. He was severely hurt - broken leg, internal bleeding, and burst bladder among other things. The vets recommended to put him down - which is what we decided.

My kids loved Bruiser. Too much it seemed at times. So, my wife & I decided to not tell him that he was put down. We are going to tell them that we had to get rid of him because he was so small. But, we are going to get another dog for the house - probably this weekend.

So, my question is, what is a loving type of dog - fairly good sized & tough - to have around kids? A dog they can rough house with without worrying about hurting him and without worrying about him getting defensive and biting. I guess I'm asking what are good kid friendly dogs?

American pit Bull Terrier, by far best dog i've ever had. Great around all children, and she is around them a lot.

LaChapelle
07-29-2009, 04:04 PM
Which ever one tastes most like chicken. When the Chinese take over for payment due and run the North Koreans over here. You'll thank me.

MOhillbilly
07-29-2009, 04:06 PM
American pit Bull Terrier, by far best dog i've ever had. Great around all children, and she is around them a lot.

Plus your dick grows 2in and your 3rd ball drops after you get one.

sd4chiefs
07-29-2009, 04:31 PM
I take my dog (Cairn, very active and can be a pain in the ass) to the dog park twice a week. I have seen a lot of different breeds and it seems like the labradoodle is the most popular. If you want a small dog look into getting a puggle. It seems like the Boxers are always getting into fights with the other dogs.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7GGIH_en&ei=jb5wSrj1LoOIswOa2InTCA&resnum=0&q=labradoodle&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=kL5wSqrqG4bOsQOEgPnpCA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1

http://www.puggle.org/breedinfo.asp

38yrsfan
07-29-2009, 05:13 PM
Check out the shelters and pounds ... you will find something you like and feel good about it every time you look at the dog.

I would agree about the Lab selection - I have a "mixed" one with Australian Shepherd from the mom ..... a better dog I've never had. Does so much by instinct but is readily trained.

Baconeater
07-29-2009, 05:21 PM
This is very true, we have a purebred Lab and she's a little funny about strangers in general, and has recently bitten one adult who got too close to her face.

luv
07-29-2009, 05:25 PM
My dad used to have the best dog. Her name was Madi. She was a blonde lab mix. By the fact that she was very small for a lab and her facial features, we figured she was part beagle. Lovable dog.

btlook1
07-29-2009, 05:47 PM
One thing I would keep in mind is that Labs are the best dogs out there....well in my opinion. However they do need to exercise. We raise a couple of litters each year and always recommend to people that they either need to have room to run or you need to take them some where that they can stretch their legs on a regular basis.
If I was just looking for a pet and family companion why not try the animal rescue people!

Pestilence
07-29-2009, 05:51 PM
My dad used to have the best dog. Her name was Madi. She was a blonde lab mix. By the fact that she was very small for a lab and her facial features, we figured she was part beagle. Lovable dog.

We've got a Lab/Beagle mix right now.

Psyko Tek
07-29-2009, 06:28 PM
My kids grew up with our Australian Shepherd. She's a medium sized dog and always ready to play. She has been very patient with them and never growled or snarled at them, even when being mauled when the kids were little. When we first got her, she would try to herd the boys when they were outside running around but we broke her of that very quickly.

Aussies are very smart, easily trainable and haven't been overbred like a lot of other pure bred dogs. She is pretty active, especially when young but has never been destructive (except when she digs after gophers :mad:). A decent sized yard is a must, though, or, at least, a lot of walking, running, fetch, Frisbee, etc.

mines a german australian cross
all said is true
and protective

joesomebody
07-29-2009, 06:51 PM
Golden Retriever. Hands down best dog out there. In my experience they are all great around kids (especially the kids in their own 'family'), but females would probably be best. I've always had males, but I think if I were to get a new puppy for my kids it would be a female.

Biggest and really only problem with goldens is the shedding. They too will need a lot of exercise to be truly happy though. As with most large breeds, they mature slower. A golden is still very puppyish until about 3 years old.

This is another breed that is over bred and you'll want to be sure and go with a solid breeder. You can tell by the number of litters they have a year and the look and feel of the kennels.

I personally prefer 'hobby' breeders, typically just people who love the breed and have a litter every couple of years.

Please don't get a labra doodle, or a golden doodle or any other doodle for that matter... I hate designer breeds.

Mr. Plow
06-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Bumping this thread.

We decided to wait on a dog at the time of this thread, because we just weren't ready with us moving and setting up the house, etc.

Unfortunately, last night this guy - Snoopy - passed away:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f160/HutchJayhawk/2011-04-08231453.jpg

So, we are back to looking for a dog. I think a lab is the way I'd like to go, I just have some reservations about having a dog that big. Labs seem to be really great family dogs - at least all that I have been around have been - but our dogs have always been more inside dog than out, and while I have a big back yard, I don't have a fence up to give him/her the room to run that I know they'll need.

I'm thinking adoption is the way I'm leaning. I've found a couple that look similar to what we are looking for:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/19999353
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/19934994

Sofa King
06-27-2011, 10:08 AM
Buy one from California, feed him hamsters.

Cave Johnson
06-27-2011, 10:19 AM
The retriever aficionados may disagree, but I'd advise against getting a lab/golden if you don't have a fenced-in yard.

I'm partial to English Cockers. They're about 30-35 lbs., which would be small enough for kids to control on walks. Great, confident (i.e., big dog) personality..... way chiller than American ones.

They're hard to find as a rescue, though. Here's an example.

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/20015978

boogblaster
06-27-2011, 10:22 AM
any terrier breed is good with kids .. plus lets ya know if big-foot is lurk'n nearby ....

Cave Johnson
06-27-2011, 10:26 AM
Here's my EC, Cooper, helping with the yardwork.

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/9858/photo65n.jpg (http://img846.imageshack.us/i/photo65n.jpg/)

Mr. Plow
06-27-2011, 10:28 AM
Cute dog Pittsie.

DJ's left nut
06-27-2011, 10:38 AM
The retriever aficionados may disagree, but I'd advise against getting a lab/golden if you don't have a fenced-in yard.

I'm partial to English Cockers. They're about 30-35 lbs., which would be small enough for kids to control on walks. Great, confident (i.e., big dog) personality..... way chiller than American ones.

They're hard to find as a rescue, though. Here's an example.

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/20015978

Not at all.

If you don't have a fence, don't have a lab. You'll have an unruly, destructive beast of a dog on your hands until it's 3 years old.

You can't have a retriever breed without a yard to run it in, IMO. You may get a low key one that can manage the trick, but the odds are against it (and the dog still isn't going to be as happy as it would otherwise be).

Cave Johnson
06-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Cute dog Pittsie.

On the down side, he does tend to hump children.

DJ's left nut
06-27-2011, 10:42 AM
any terrier breed is good with kids .. plus lets ya know if big-foot is lurk'n nearby ....

What?

Have you ever owned a terrier? At one point I was going to post - "If you're worried about kids, don't get a terrier..."

Terriers are wired, high strung little monsters that will absolutely rip at the first face they see that comes down to their level. They're significantly more nervous than larger dogs and they don't have nearly the patience for children that larger dogs do.

It's especially true as they get older.

Granted, 'terrier' covers a damn wide array of dogs. A staffordshire and a rat are not going to be the same animal. But if you're talking about what people ordinarily view as 'terriers' such as a JRT, Fox or even a Scottie; they're hardly what I'd consider 'universal' childrens dogs.

Mr. Plow
06-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Not at all.

If you don't have a fence, don't have a lab. You'll have an unruly, destructive beast of a dog on your hands until it's 3 years old.

You can't have a retriever breed without a yard to run it in, IMO. You may get a low key one that can manage the trick, but the odds are against it (and the dog still isn't going to be as happy as it would otherwise be).

We have a fenced in area for the dogs, but I know it's nowhere big enough for a lab. It's probably a 20x10 area. We've been wanting to fence in the back yard, but because of the stupid ass HOA, it has to be vinyl fencing and that shit is expensive....just don't have the extra money for it right now.

Might just have to bite the bullet and fence it in.

Lzen
06-27-2011, 10:44 AM
It seems like the Boxers are always getting into fights with the other dogs.

:rolleyes: :harumph: I call BS.

MOhillbilly
06-27-2011, 10:45 AM
What?

Have you ever owned a terrier? At one point I was going to post - "If you're worried about kids, don't get a terrier..."

Terriers are wired, high strung little monsters that will absolutely rip at the first face they see that comes down to their level. They're significantly more nervous than larger dogs and they don't have nearly the patience for children that larger dogs do.

It's especially true as they get older.

Granted, 'terrier' covers a damn wide array of dogs. A staffordshire and a rat are not going to be the same animal. But if you're talking about what people ordinarily view as 'terriers' such as a JRT, Fox or even a Scottie; they're hardly what I'd consider 'universal' childrens dogs.

thats a big damn broad brush you paint pictures with.

good dogs are where you find them.

MOhillbilly
06-27-2011, 10:46 AM
:rolleyes: :harumph: I call BS.

I dont.

DJ's left nut
06-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Bumping this thread.

We decided to wait on a dog at the time of this thread, because we just weren't ready with us moving and setting up the house, etc.

Unfortunately, last night this guy - Snoopy - passed away:

So, we are back to looking for a dog. I think a lab is the way I'd like to go, I just have some reservations about having a dog that big. Labs seem to be really great family dogs - at least all that I have been around have been - but our dogs have always been more inside dog than out, and while I have a big back yard, I don't have a fence up to give him/her the room to run that I know they'll need.

I'm thinking adoption is the way I'm leaning. I've found a couple that look similar to what we are looking for:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/19999353

Someone suggested a Greater Swiss but warned you about their size. An alternative would be a Bernese Mountain Dog. They're another sennenhund so they have very similar personalities to the Swissie. They're galoofish like labs but much more laid back.

Sennenhunds are historically cart dogs, not retrievers. As such, they're not going to be wound nearly as tight and not as inclined to bolt on you. If you wanted to do some searching for a 'high end' dog, A Berner sounds like he'd be a great fit.

But adoption's certainly a good idea as well. The only thing I would say is that you should give a long look to some of the 2 and 3 year olds there. They're going to be more 'stable' in that they've grown into their personalities. You'll know what you're going to get before you have it around kids. And they have lower adoption rates so they're good to rescue.

EDIT: I just re-read this thread and realized that I'm simply repeating myself in this post. Carry on.

Radar Chief
06-27-2011, 10:48 AM
We have a fenced in area for the dogs, but I know it's nowhere big enough for a lab. It's probably a 20x10 area. We've been wanting to fence in the back yard, but because of the stupid ass HOA, it has to be vinyl fencing and that shit is expensive....just don't have the extra money for it right now.

Could do the invisible fence.
I know a couple of guys that have made it work.
Of course I also know a guy whose dog is so rambunctious that itíll run over the invisible fence line, take the shock and keep running. So it doesnít work with all dogs.

Mr. Plow
06-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Wife is loving this one:

http://photocache.petfinder.com/fotos/KS146/KS146.19934994-1-pn.jpg

Based on the info provided, it is a Brittany Spaniel/Lab mix, large breed, male, young age, but also says "I am an inside housebroken dog. I love to play with toys especially fetch. I get along well with dogs, cats & children."

I know that isn't a lot of info to go on, but any idea's on how big he would get or is he about as big as he is going to get?

DJ's left nut
06-27-2011, 10:49 AM
thats a big damn broad brush you paint pictures with.

good dogs are where you find them.

True, but the broad brush was in response to an even broader one (and I at qualified my statement by acknowledging same).

To state unequivocally that "any terrier breed is good with kids" is just wrong.

Lzen
06-27-2011, 10:49 AM
As an owner of 2 boxers, I can say that they are the best breed of dog I have ever had. They are playful, friendly, good watchdogs, and very loyal. My 9 year old daughter is like Elmira (remember Tiny Toons?) and they have put up with her for 4 years. They are high energy dogs when they are young, but they tend to mellow somewhat around 2 years of age. When they play they sound like they are trying to kill each other, but that is just the breed, I think. If you work with them and train them on some basics, they are absolutely great with kids.

Lzen
06-27-2011, 10:50 AM
I dont.

In my experience, its always some dipshit that brings a dog that hasn't been properly socialized. I never see boxers at the dog park being aggressive and fighting other dogs. Sure, they like to play and some may interpret that as aggressiveness. But its not the same thing.

Mr. Plow
06-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Could do the invisible fence.
I know a couple of guys that have made it work.
Of course I also know a guy whose dog is so rambunctious that itíll run over the invisible fence line, take the shock and keep running. So it doesnít work with all dogs.

Snoopy was just that type of dog. I always said he was the smartest dumb dog I ever had. He would take off if he ever got the opportunity, would be gone for 7-10 days, and then just show back up on the front porch like nothing happened. lol. I'm going to miss that dog.

Radar Chief
06-27-2011, 10:53 AM
I love my Catahoula, fantastic dog, but I think I found out why she was abandoned. Gun shy, doesnít even like being around the .22.

DJ's left nut
06-27-2011, 10:54 AM
Wife is loving this one:

Based on the info provided, it is a Brittany Spaniel/Lab mix, large breed, male, young age, but also says "I am an inside housebroken dog. I love to play with toys especially fetch. I get along well with dogs, cats & children."

I know that isn't a lot of info to go on, but any idea's on how big he would get or is he about as big as he is going to get?

Depends on how much brittany is in there; doesn't appear to be a lot (lab body shape and head). And you'll get labs that run from 50-120 lbs (fit; fat labs even bigger), so it's hard to really speak to that either. I'd say you're looking at a 60 lb pup in that picture, but that's a WAG really.

Looks like a great dog, but adding bird dog to a retriever most assuredly isn't going to help the 'exercise' issue. You'll still need to figure out a good way to keep him entertained and exercised to prevent him from becoming destructive. Bird dogs can have a neurotic streak to them as well and that will come out mostly when they're bored. It won't be a long time before he calms down, but you'll spend a fair amount of time frustrated while waiting that year or so if you can't get him a good place to run.

An underground fence might be worth considering if you don't intend to leave him outside. They can break the perimeter if they really want to on those. However, if you're out there playing with him, his inclination is going to be to return to you rather than break so you don't really have to worry about it.

DMAC
06-27-2011, 10:54 AM
I have a golden retriever/ standard poodle.

I know....

But he is perfect. He is just so happy all the time.

He is a golden retriever that doesnt shed.

Cave Johnson
06-27-2011, 10:58 AM

Wife is loving this one:

That's a mix of 2 active breeds..... I doubt he'd do well in a 10x20 yard.

DJ's left nut
06-27-2011, 10:59 AM
As an owner of 2 boxers, I can say that they are the best breed of dog I have ever had. They are playful, friendly, good watchdogs, and very loyal. My 9 year old daughter is like Elmira (remember Tiny Toons?) and they have put up with her for 4 years. They are high energy dogs when they are young, but they tend to mellow somewhat around 2 years of age. When they play they sound like they are trying to kill each other, but that is just the breed, I think. If you work with them and train them on some basics, they are absolutely great with kids.

I'm with you on that one.

Boxers are great dogs. I've found that they're vocal when they're playing and they tend to use their feet a lot. So sometimes the dogs they're playing with aren't use to the snarling and the feet thing and they'll get defensive. So you'll end up with a boxer in a 'fight' that really just thought he was playing to begin with.

Really bad dysplasia rates though and their cancer rates are evidently on the rise as well. Great dogs, but the breeding practices are falling down on them. Labradors went through that about 25 years ago but have really righted the ship (they're actually well above average for dysplasia for larger dogs). Boxers will do the same thing shortly, I suspect. They seem to bottom out for awhile before the better breeders make a concerted effort to run the asses out of the hobby.

MOhillbilly
06-27-2011, 11:02 AM
In my experience, its always some dipshit that brings a dog that hasn't been properly socialized. I never see boxers at the dog park being aggressive and fighting other dogs. Sure, they like to play and some may interpret that as aggressiveness. But its not the same thing.

Bottom line they are not a dog for the novice handler.

Iowanian
06-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Same temperament as the Great Pyrs, too.

Great Pyrs are assholes. I hate them all.

Labs are great family dogs but they are high energy and require training time and regular attention. I also think boarder collies are great dogs. Very intelligent.

I know alot of people who have and have had blue/red healers and Australian sheps. They're tough, loyal and intelligent dogs, but they tend to be very protective of their territory and fight other dogs. Intelligent and great dogs for their farmers, but I've never viewed them as good family dogs.

Mr. Plow
06-27-2011, 11:04 AM
Jebus....here is another one the wife likes.

http://photocache.petfinder.com/fotos/KS146/KS146.19999350-1-pn.jpg

MOhillbilly
06-27-2011, 11:07 AM
Wife is loving this one:

im big, im smart, im a pain in the ass.

MOhillbilly
06-27-2011, 11:08 AM
Jebus....here is another one the wife likes.

http://photocache.petfinder.com/fotos/KS146/KS146.19999350-1-pn.jpg

im little, im dumb, im a pain in the ass. ;)

Brock
06-27-2011, 11:09 AM
Lab or nothing. Put an invisible fence in, problem solved.

Pestilence
06-27-2011, 11:10 AM
Lab or nothing. Put an invisible fence in, problem solved.

This.

MOhillbilly
06-27-2011, 11:12 AM
I have a golden retriever/ standard poodle.

I know....

But he is perfect. He is just so happy all the time.

He is a golden retriever that doesnt shed.

super gay

frankotank
06-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Bullmastiff. best breed ever! not to be confused with Mastiff which is 200 lbs plus...huge. Bullmastiff is cross between Bull dog and Mastiff so it's smaller than Mastiffs. huge male may go 140. my first was male and was 140 but he was freaky big. after he died we knew we had to have another bully. we have a second male and he's only about 125. females run even smaller. originally bred to catch poachers but not kill them. instinctively want to stop you from running away. very loving gentle family oriented breed. quiet unless there's a reason to bark. great watchdog. great with kids. best dogs I've ever had. by the way, that stupid Tom Hanks movie Hooch is BS. that is a french mastiff (much much like bullmastiff) and they do NOT slobber like that. Mastiffs have a big slobber problem. bull mastiffs, only when coming away from the water bowl. not sickening like that stupid movie.

Iowanian
06-27-2011, 11:14 AM
http://bp1.blogger.com/_Lef5UZ6jtNU/SJa4ibj47MI/AAAAAAAAAOI/vNTEQjk7Acg/s400/thug-life-fat.jpg

If I have a dog, it's definitely a Rottie or a Pit.

DMAC
06-27-2011, 11:16 AM
super gay

fuck off, he's awesome.

MOhillbilly
06-27-2011, 11:17 AM
**** off, he's awesome.

LMAO

Mr. Plow
06-27-2011, 11:20 AM
Put an invisible fence in, problem solved.

Any recommendations on an invisible fence?

Lzen
06-27-2011, 11:20 AM
Bottom line they are not a dog for the novice handler.

While I can't disagree with this statement, I will say that I was a novice before I owned boxers. I read up on everything I could about the breed. And I watched a lot of The Dog Whisperer. ;)

Mr. Plow
06-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Any recommendations on an invisible fence?

And can I by extra collars for my children? :D

SNR
06-27-2011, 11:23 AM
I know a German Shepherd doesn't fit the qualities you're looking for, but man, I absolutely love that breed. Most loyal family dogs I've ever been around.

MOhillbilly
06-27-2011, 11:24 AM
While I can't disagree with this statement, I will say that I was a novice before I owned boxers. I read up on everything I could about the breed. And I watched a lot of The Dog Whisperer. ;)

Research is the key.

Had one come off my yard make Gr. Champ first of the month.

SNR
06-27-2011, 11:25 AM
And can I by extra collars for my children? :DThey might whine and cry about it initially, but if you make it plain that you feel no sympathy when you ignore them, they should shut up in a few weeks

Cave Johnson
06-27-2011, 11:25 AM
Reiterating Silock's suggestion, go to a rescue facility that's concerned with matching a dog to your family/living situation. This place, in KC, looks good. You need more of an analysis of a dog's temperament than the pound provides, especially after going 0 for 2 on you last dogs.

http://www.waysidewaifs.org/site/PageServer?pagename=Adoptable_Dogs

The Shepherd mix Flower looks like a fantastic dog.

Mr. Plow
06-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Here is an invisible fence I just found at homedepot.com. I've never used one before, can anyone give any thoughts on it?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100659872/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

MOhillbilly
06-27-2011, 11:29 AM

DJ's left nut
06-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Here is an invisible fence I just found at homedepot.com. I've never used one before, can anyone give any thoughts on it?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100659872/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Like I said - don't rely on it for containment.

They have a 10-15 foot 'shock zone' that a dog can simply bolt through if he has the stomach for it. If you're out there with the dog, that will be fine as he's unlikely to get it in his head to try it.

They also can't keep anything out, obviously. So if you're there to make sure nothing's coming into your yard to screw with the dogs, you'll be fine as well.

That looks like a good one if you want to give it a shot. I'd just never be terribly comfortable leaving my dog unsupervised in it.

DJ's left nut
06-27-2011, 11:42 AM

That Hank dog at the bottom is a beautiful dog.

I have no experience at all with the Leonburger, but I like Setters a lot.

Fish
06-27-2011, 11:46 AM

Good buddy bought that exact model. And both of their dogs just ran right through the damn thing with a little yelp and proceeded to terrorize the neighborhood.

His dogs are a PIA though. But it wasn't effective at all for him.

MOhillbilly
06-27-2011, 11:54 AM
That Hank dog at the bottom is a beautiful dog.

I have no experience at all with the Leonburger, but I like Setters a lot.

he is a nice lookin hound. Says no cats, no kids under 18.

Word of caution when dealing with rescues. Many times these people are semi hoarders and just as fractured as any AR nut.

Mr. Plow
06-27-2011, 11:57 AM
That looks like a good one if you want to give it a shot. I'd just never be terribly comfortable leaving my dog unsupervised in it.

That has always been my fear. But, I think you're right....if I go out there with him/her to play for a little bit, it probably won't be an issue.

penguinz
06-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Get this dog before my wife goes out and gets it!http://goo.gl/CSQDA

Mr. Plow
06-27-2011, 12:03 PM
Get this dog before my wife goes out and gets it! http://www.animalhavenkc.org/adoptions-and-services/adoptions/view_adoptable_pets/

The link just took me to the main page. What's the name of the dog?

Iowanian
06-27-2011, 12:05 PM
I had a yellow lab pup. I walked him around the perimeter of the yard on a rope, around and around and around. By the time he was 6 months, I could tell him to stay in the yard and walk away and he wouldn't leave.

We moved to a new place, and I walked him around and around and around the yard edge every day, and he was pretty much to that place too, before we sent him to live on a farm where he roams in fields like he's over double-rainbow bridge.

My guess is with a little work with the animal and the hidden fence you'd be fine.

If not, kennel it when you're not there(not the box).

penguinz
06-27-2011, 12:06 PM
The link just took me to the main page. What's the name of the dog?I fixed the link

Mr. Plow
06-27-2011, 12:08 PM
I fixed the link

Man, that's a pretty dog.

penguinz
06-27-2011, 12:12 PM
Man, that's a pretty dog.Yes it is. And someone needs to adopt it before I come home and find it in my back yard. I have an almost 6 month old black lab that is by far enough dog right now.

Mr. Plow
06-27-2011, 12:15 PM
Yes it is. And someone needs to adopt it before I come home and find it in my back yard. I have an almost 6 month old black lab that is by far enough dog right now.

I'm sure they'll play well together. :D

MahiMike
06-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Boston Terrier. They look like they're wearing a tuxedo.

I've been looking into this one. They're great for apartments and smaller homes. Do you have one?

Radar Chief
06-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Get this dog before my wife goes out and gets it!http://goo.gl/CSQDA

Good looking dog, I used to have a German Short Hair that looked just about like him.

MOhillbilly
06-27-2011, 01:42 PM
I've been looking into this one. They're great for apartments and smaller homes. Do you have one?

EPIC FAIL.

DMAC
06-27-2011, 01:44 PM
EPIC FAIL.

You are a dog snob.

MahiMike
06-27-2011, 01:45 PM
EPIC FAIL.

Remember - we don't have 10 acres to put those semi-trailer-sized smokers on!

MOhillbilly
06-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Remember - we don't have 10 acres to put those semi-trailer-sized smokers on!

skip doesnt post under that account anymore. I wanna say saul has some bostons...

MOhillbilly
06-27-2011, 01:48 PM
You are a dog snob.

****in right.

how many Ch or Gr CH have come off your yard?

DMAC
06-27-2011, 02:09 PM
****in right.

how many Ch or Gr CH have come off your yard?

I dont raise em to fight

MOhillbilly
06-27-2011, 02:14 PM
I dont raise em to fight

nor do i , knucklehead.

DMAC
06-27-2011, 02:21 PM
nor do i , knucklehead.

Whats a gr ch then?

DJ's left nut
06-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Whats a gr ch then?

Grand champion, dumbass.

My boy MacArthur has GR CH for his sire and his dam.

He's a labrador. Rest assured, ma and pop didn't get those titled by fighting.

Getting a GR CH requires a significant number of show points and a certain number of titles. You can get a CH cert by just going to a ton of shows and getting enough 'participation points' at lower end shows to get the tag. But a GR CH requires some actual wins, IIRC.

Having a GR CH is a big deal.

DMAC
06-27-2011, 02:24 PM
Grand champion, dumbass.

My boy MacArthur has GR CH for his sire and his dam.

He's a labrador. Rest assured, ma and pop didn't get those titled by fighting.

Well I knew thats what it stood for. Just thought it was the term of a killer fightin dog.

...dumbass. :harumph:

Brock
06-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Whats a gr ch then?

It's short for Grrrr.....Chomp.

DJ's left nut
06-27-2011, 02:25 PM
You are a dog snob.

You are an ignorant jackass.

DMAC
06-27-2011, 02:26 PM
You are an ignorant jackass.

ookay

DJ's left nut
06-27-2011, 02:27 PM
Well I knew thats what it stood for. Just thought it was the term of a killer fightin dog.

...dumbass. :harumph:

Yeah, they're cool with you putting that on a pedigree.

Anytime you see a Molosser breed with a GR CH on his papers, he's probably earned that through ripping out an appropriate number of throats. You should probably let his owner know that as well, he'll be happy to hear it. They love that kind of stuff.

It's okay to just admit you were talking out your ass and move along.

MOhillbilly
06-27-2011, 02:30 PM
Whats a gr ch then?

A grand champion is a dog awarded enough points beyond champion to become a gr ch or dual gr ch.

Points are awarded accordingly depending on the ring.

ADBA-pitbulls
http://www.adbadog.com/p_pdetails.asp?fspid=100

UKC
http://www.prt-jrt.com/ukc/UKC-PointSystem.html

rule book PDF for nite hunts can be found at the UKC site.

MOhillbilly
06-27-2011, 02:32 PM
DMAC was just blowin smoke fellas.

DMAC
06-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Uhh, by saying I thought it meant it was a fightin dog?

MahiMike
06-27-2011, 02:36 PM

I had one. Smartest dog ever. She would actually 'smile' at you. Couldn't keep her in the apartment, so she went to a cattle farm. Match made in heaven. Farmer adored her and she got to work her little butt off.

MOhillbilly
06-27-2011, 02:44 PM
Uhh, by saying I thought it meant it was a fightin dog?
It goes
1XW
2XW
Combat dogs winning 3 contract matches equals a Champion

5 is a Grand Champion

10+ are Dual Grand Champions

All have to be legit reported matches.

Doesnt matter the SDJ got busted years ago

If a combat dog takes a loss after making CH he is still considered a CH in some circles. In other circles combat dogs would be listed as 3xw 1xl w/ no designation of champion .

If it takes a loss after a GR CH it gets knocked back down to CH.
Anyone who reports anything these days is a ****ing fool. Anyone who is active in the slightest and talks about dog fighting,rolls,school, whatever is just as dumb.

Lzen
06-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Ok, after the recent discussion, I now know what MO meant by this. Lol, it seems so obvious now, but I didn't wanna sound stupid by asking. :(

Research is the key.

Had one come off my yard make Gr. Champ first of the month.

So, I take it this means that you are a breeder. Do you breed many types of breeds?

Iowanian
06-27-2011, 03:48 PM
I was always under the impression that 1 L would be all a dog would have in a career because it was never a judges decision.

MOhillbilly
06-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Ok, after the recent discussion, I now know what MO meant by this. Lol, it seems so obvious now, but I didn't wanna sound stupid by asking. :(

So, I take it this means that you are a breeder. Do you breed many types of breeds?

None at the moment & never will again. In the past 20 years ive messed w/ pit bulls, treeing feists, treeing walkers, redbones, and boxers.

Breeding dogs, esp. working hounds, is a mega pain in the ass, mostly because Dogmen tend to be bullshitters and tire kickers.

MOhillbilly
06-27-2011, 04:13 PM
I was always under the impression that 1 L would be all a dog would have in a career because it was never a judges decision.

The judges decision is final. Dogs is about scratchin. A dog that refuses to cross his scratch line(10 -60 sec) in the designated time loses. Period. Some say if it even hesitates a second its a cur.

A loss can also be awarded if a dog jumps the pit, a handler fouls out, or a dog dies in the pit, & a million other reasons.

But at the end of the day its about scratchin. This is where/how the ever elusive 'gameness' is tested.

Draws can happen but its rare that an out of hold count continues to that point. esp w/ modern rules.

Simba
06-27-2011, 10:13 PM
In my experience German Shepherds are excellent family dogs. They are intelligent, protective, and loyal. I have found them to be very gentle with and tolerant of children as well.

Although I've never owned one, labs are good family dogs. If I didn't have a GSD, I'd have a lab.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-27-2011, 10:50 PM
Shepperd.

DeezNutz
06-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Germans are great dogs, but they can try to be dominant with owners, so you need to be on your game.

Aussies, on the other hand, are far more "user friendly," assuming you're willing to meet their exercise demands.

Mr. Plow
06-28-2011, 08:39 AM
Here is another fence option.....wireless. It's a bit more expensive, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a bit better.

http://www.petco.com/product/6533/PetSafe-Wireless-Instant-Fence-Pet-Containment-System.aspx

MOhillbilly
06-28-2011, 08:42 AM
Plow, go to your local farm and home type store. Those box store places have insane mark ups and sell junk products.

Mr. Plow
06-28-2011, 08:44 AM
Plow, go to your local farm and home type store. Those box store places have insane mark ups and sell junk products.

I will.

MOhillbilly
06-28-2011, 09:01 AM
maybe an option

http://www.joplinhumane.org/

Cave Johnson
06-28-2011, 09:56 AM
Any recommendations on nail trimmers and grinders? My hardwoods are getting a little beat up around the doors (when my dog gets jazzed to go out).

MOhillbilly
06-28-2011, 10:09 AM
the ones that look like hole punches work pretty well.

Dunit35
06-28-2011, 10:14 AM
My huskies do some much walking outdoors that in three years I've never trimmed their nails.

Radar Chief
06-28-2011, 10:43 AM
Any recommendations on nail trimmers and grinders? My hardwoods are getting a little beat up around the doors (when my dog gets jazzed to go out).

Donít waste your money on Pedipaws, itís a gutless electric grinder with a plastic guide around it.

Cave Johnson
06-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Donít waste your money on Pedipaws, itís a gutless electric grinder with a plastic guide around it.

Looked like a piece of junk at the store. This, on the other hand, looks relatively serious.

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-7300-PT-4-8-Volt-Pet-Grooming/dp/B003TU0XG4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1309280968&sr=8-3

MOhillbilly
06-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Good luck gettin a hound to stand still.

http://www.amazon.com/Resco-Nail-Trimmer-Jumbo/dp/B0002ZADZ0

Bill Lundberg
06-28-2011, 12:39 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/413AGEgmWtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I like this kind. They have a guard you can set so you don't cut to close. Seems like that always happens with the hole punch kind for me. Those little bastards bleed like crazy if you get to the quick.

DJ's left nut
06-28-2011, 12:40 PM
I have that Rescoe one for my dogs.

I dremmel trained our last service dog, it's really not that tough if they aren't predisposed to hate the noise it makes. I don't have the patience to work on my current puppy with them, but with most dogs it just take a little time and effort to get them through the initial fear.

To get them used to it, you turn it on then kind of 'pet' them with the back side of it. That way they get accustomed to the sound, feel, etc... of it. Then it's just a matter of having a dog you can keep calm enough to get him to stay on his side through it.

Both of my older dogs will let me use the dremmel, but they're obviously uncomfortable. One of them just sits there panting uncontrollably. They put up with it but it clearly makes them nervous so I just use their clippers. However, if you have a puppy that you can train on it from the start, it's kinda nice.

The upshot is that you'll never quick them with the dremmel. If you have a dog with light nails, quicking them isn't a big deal. But with black nails, there's some guess work involved there. With a dremmel, right around the time you start to get close to the quick, they just pull away. You can also round the edges to they don't have that jagged 'new nail' shape to them. And if you're good enough at it, you just set it on high and run each nail a couple times; it doesn't even take much longer than the clippers.

DJ's left nut
06-28-2011, 12:43 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/413AGEgmWtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I like this kind. They have a guard you can set so you don't cut to close. Seems like that always happens with the hole punch kind for me. Those little bastards bleed like crazy if you get to the quick.

I hate that kind.

The problem is that the quick will move forward and backwards depending on how often you trim (it moves further back if trimmed more). So the guards aren't all the precise. Besides, the guard tends to be too short anyway; there's a lot more room to work with there. Worse still, they don't give you as good a leverage as the roscoe kind so it's not as clean or easy. And those can slip sideways on you some and lead to a 'break' as much as a cut.

If you have dark nails, look at the underside of them. If there's no mud in them, you can see the fleshy part that goes on the underside of the nail. Set it right at the very tip of that and make your cut. 9 times out of 10, you'll be fine.