PDA

View Full Version : Football Vick back/ 4 game suspension/who takes him?

LaChapelle
07-23-2009, 05:49 PM
Report: Vick to be suspended four games
Posted by Mike Florio on July 23, 2009 6:59 PM ET
The good news for ESPN this week is that its decision not to devote reporting assets to the Ben Roethlisberger case has allowed it to do some great work regarding the Mike Vick situation.

Earlier in the week, ESPN reported that Vick and Commissioner Roger Goodell would meet this week. Despite rumors that the meeting would not occur so quickly, it happened Wednesday afternoon.

So +1 to Bristol. (And -1 to the idiots who posted the rumor that the meeting wouldn't happen this week.)

Sal Paolantonio and Chris Mortensen of ESPN are now reporting that Vick will be conditionally reinstated early next week, and he'll then be suspended four additional games.

Per the report, Goodell also is expected to warn Vick that any future problems will result in additional punishment. (We were going to say that Vick will be on a "tight leash," but we thought better of it. Oops.)

This means that Vick will be permitted to sign with a new team and participate in training camp and the preseason before sitting out the first quarter of the campaign.

Though it's not a home run for Vick, it's great news. Given his crimes and the fact that he previously lied to Commissioner Roger Goodell's face (and the rest of his body), Vick easily could have been suspended for most if not all of the 2009 season.

But public opinion has generally favored the notion that Vick should receive a second chance. The fact that an upstart pro football league would have been waiting with open arms to sign Vick likely didn't hurt matters, either.

The Franchise
07-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Michael Vick......welcome to the Raiders.

LaChapelle
07-23-2009, 05:51 PM
PETA must be in a tizzy.

FAX
07-23-2009, 05:52 PM
He's perfect for the faid, frankly.

FAX

cdcox
Goodell hates him some dogs.

Bwana

Yep, or the sowboys.

Valiant
I think Miami would be perfect for him in that offense as a RB/QB variant..

OnTheWarpath15
07-23-2009, 05:53 PM
Jacksonville.

No one shows up for the games anyway, so they won't get burned by the PR nightmare.

I can see Al Davis salivating, but they don't need him, they have Garcia in the event Russell continues to tank. (Garcia should be starting, IMO)

I'm not sure who else is willing to alienate their entire fanbase for what amounts to a few plays each week in the Wildcat.

CupidStunt
The Broncos could use a QB. It's not like their offseason can be ruined at this point.

OnTheWarpath15
I think Miami would be perfect for him in that offense as a RB/QB variant..

Paging Pat White.

Mr. Pat White, please pick up the nearest white courtesy phone.

Deberg_1990
07-23-2009, 05:54 PM
Mke Vick: Welcome to the United Football League

LaChapelle
07-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Perhaps Favre grows a few brain cells back and stays retired. The Vickings

Mecca
07-23-2009, 05:56 PM
PETA must be in a tizzy.

You know the humane society is supporting his comeback right?

OnTheWarpath15
07-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Over/under on him violating his probation:

Week 7.

LaChapelle
07-23-2009, 05:58 PM
You know the humane society is supporting his comeback right?

That shyster.

BigMeatballDave
07-23-2009, 05:59 PM
You know the humane society is supporting his comeback right?The Humane Society is WAAY different than PETA.

chiefs1111
07-23-2009, 05:59 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if the Cowboys took a chance on him.

Mecca
07-23-2009, 06:00 PM
With the influx of the wildcat and the awful QB's in the league in general someone should take a shot at him to be atleast a backup gimmick player.

Sully
07-23-2009, 06:00 PM
Miami or new England are my bets.
Dark horses... The fade or the redskins.

wild1
07-23-2009, 06:03 PM
I do not see why the Raiders should sign him. They spent a first round pick on a QB just two years ago.

My guess, nobody signs him until the middle of the season after whatever team it is suffers multiple QB injuries.

OnTheWarpath15
07-23-2009, 06:05 PM
With the influx of the wildcat and the awful QB's in the league in general someone should take a shot at him to be atleast a backup gimmick player.

Seeing as how Vick was one of those "awful" QB's you speak of over TWO years ago, I can't think of a single team he could win a starting job.

No, not even San Francisco. They seem to be very happy with Hill.

Demonpenz
07-23-2009, 06:08 PM
needs to go to a team devoid of weapons maybe who was the O cordinator that used kordell stewert when he was slash?

Mecca
07-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Seeing as how Vick was one of those "awful" QB's you speak of over TWO years ago, I can't think of a single team he could win a starting job.

No, not even San Francisco. They seem to be very happy with Hill.

San Francisco being happy with their QB's is all I need to know about the crapness of that organization.

But frankly Vick has enough natural talent to at the very worst be a gimmick player that can make big plays.

LaChapelle
07-23-2009, 06:09 PM
I would have no problem with Vick(paid his debt), but I know that's a lonely stand.

Mecca
07-23-2009, 06:10 PM
I would have no problem with Vick(paid his debt), but I know that's a lonely stand.

I'd take him, I wouldn't want him to be my starter but you can find a role for a guy like that.

Buck
07-23-2009, 06:11 PM
I hear the Broncos got rid of their Franchise QB earlier this offseason.

And if he doesn't work out as a QB, I also heard they don't have much depth at the RB position.

Sully
07-23-2009, 06:12 PM
needs to go to a team devoid of weapons maybe who was the O cordinator that used kordell stewert when he was slash?

I will stab you in the face.

the Talking Can
i really don't think anyone but peta will care after a few games...

dude went to jail, he deserves a chance to live his life....

OnTheWarpath15
San Francisco being happy with their QB's is all I need to know about the crapness of that organization.

But frankly Vick has enough natural talent to at the very worst be a gimmick player that can make big plays.

True about SF.

And Vick HAD enough natural talent to be a gimmick player.

Being out of the league for 2 years is a major setback, he's not going to step on the field and not miss a beat.

Add the PR nightmare to it, and it's not worth it IMO for what amounts to a handful of trick plays in the Wildcat.

wild1
07-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Other than one or two seasons that were more than 5 years ago, he's had a pretty unremarkable NFL career. I dont see why a team would bring him in to run an offense build around the QB passing the football, even without all the baggage. Look at Atlanta, all that team needed to rise from mediocrity was Vick to get thrown in prison and to go get a real QB.

LaChapelle
If he's on parole and can't hang with other felons, how can he go to the Raiders ROFL

Mecca
What if he turns it around then it's good PR....

Personally I don't care about that, if you win and he makes a couple of big plays people will forget all about it and say "dude he won that game".

KCChiefsMan
07-23-2009, 06:16 PM
he will go somewhere. My money is on the Raiders or Cowboys

Buck
07-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Maybe Tampa.

Hydrae
07-23-2009, 06:27 PM
I'd let him rot in the UFL for a season. That will give him a chance to show he can still play and also the chance to knock some rust off. That season ends around Thanksgiving so someone can sign him before the end of the NFL season and he would be ready to go next fall.

mckinger
07-23-2009, 06:27 PM
The Redskins

OnTheWarpath15
07-23-2009, 06:29 PM
Maybe Tampa.

Good call.

They're a fucking trainwreck, he'll fit right in.

wild1
07-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Tampa just drafted a QB in the first round didn't they

Mile High Mania
07-23-2009, 06:42 PM
I think Jacksonville will give him a shot... they need insurance for Garrard. Maybe the Bills! How about Vick and TO... that would rule. LOL

Nightfyre
07-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Vikings.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiefnj2
07-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Vikings would be smarter to take Vick over Favre. Sage, Vick and Peterson in the backfield would create some tough defensive decisions.

JOhn
07-23-2009, 06:58 PM
Jacksonville,
Redskins,
Oakland
or
Cowboys

My pics in order of most to least likely ;)

OnTheWarpath15
07-23-2009, 06:58 PM
Vikings.
Posted via Mobile Device

Why?

They're likely signing Favre, have traded for Sage Rosenfels, and drafted both Tarvaris Jackson and John David Booty.

Plus they have the best RB in the game. No reason to use a gimmick.

Nightfyre
07-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Favre isn't a long term option and vick is a physical freak.
Posted via Mobile Device

Crashride
07-23-2009, 07:02 PM
http://thebiglead.com/?p=15876

Supposedly he went to the strip club as soon as he went out. Probably not the best choice.

OnTheWarpath15
07-23-2009, 07:03 PM
Favre isn't a long term option and vick is a physical freak.
Posted via Mobile Device

Vick WAS a physical freak.

For about 18 months, 5 years ago.

OnTheWarpath15
07-23-2009, 07:03 PM

Supposedly he went to the strip club as soon as he went out. Probably not the best choice.

ROFL

cardken
07-23-2009, 07:04 PM
Maybe Tampa.
Nope, division rivals are always out. That crosses Tampa, Orleans and Carolina off the list.
I see Pats, wildcat plays to keep Dolphins honest. No problem betting on Bad Apples in the past, Cory Dillon, Randy Moss and worked for the best. Pats print it.

OnTheWarpath15
07-23-2009, 07:05 PM
Nope, division rivals are always out. That crosses Tampa, Orleans and Carolina off the list.
I see Pats, wildcat plays to keep Dolphins honest. No problem betting on Bad Apples in the past, Cory Dillon, Randy Moss and worked for the best. Pats print it.

:spock:

Why would being a division rival have anything to do with it?

He's a free agent.

cdcox
07-23-2009, 07:10 PM

That wasn't Vick. It was Ron Mexico.

OnTheWarpath15
07-23-2009, 07:13 PM
That wasn't Vick. It was Ron Mexico.

LMAO

the Talking Can
07-23-2009, 07:16 PM

Reggie: I've been in prison for three years. My dick gets hard if the wind blows.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Other than one or two seasons that were more than 5 years ago, he's had a pretty unremarkable NFL career. I dont see why a team would bring him in to run an offense build around the QB passing the football, even without all the baggage. Look at Atlanta, all that team needed to rise from mediocrity was Vick to get thrown in prison and to go get a real QB.

Huh? I'm not a Vick fan, but they did make an NFC championship game appearence with him.

Chief Pote
07-23-2009, 07:24 PM
New Orleans....they think a little weird down there. Dog fighting does not bother them.

OnTheWarpath15
07-23-2009, 07:25 PM
[/B]

Huh? I'm not a Vick fan, but they did make an NFC championship game appearence with him.

Not because of Vick...

In 4 career playoff games, the guy has a 56% completion percentage, an average of 152 yards passing per game, 3 TD's, 3 INT's and a 71.2 QB rating.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Not because of Vick...

In 4 career playoff games, the guy has a 56% completion percentage, an average of 152 yards passing per game, 3 TD's, 3 INT's and a 71.2 QB rating.

Yes, but he also made an impact running the ball and moving the chains that way. However, they were never going to get to the top unless he improved his accuracy.

Reerun_KC
07-23-2009, 07:43 PM
over 50 posts and not one Homer "bring him in for a look" and all the other true fan cliches?

Chiefsplanet is so losing its burst.

OnTheWarpath15
07-23-2009, 07:48 PM

I'd take him, I wouldn't want him to be my starter but you can find a role for a guy like that.

over 50 posts and not one Homer "bring him in for a look" and all the other true fan cliches?

Pasta Little Brioni
07-23-2009, 07:48 PM

But, but he could show Cassel the ropes!!!

Reerun_KC
07-23-2009, 07:52 PM
But, but he could show Cassel the ropes!!!

:clap:

Much Rep!

Hootie
07-23-2009, 08:30 PM
Over/under on him violating his probation:

Week 7.

Over.

He will be a changed man...I guarantee it.

OnTheWarpath15
07-23-2009, 08:36 PM
Over.

He will be a changed man...I guarantee it.

Yeah, he changed.

On probation, hoping to get re-instated, and the first thing he does is goes partying in a strip club with Allen Iverson.

You’d think that his agent or handlers or somebody would’ve put the bug in his ear that low profile would be the way to go until he’s reinstated. Partying with Iverson at a peeler joint doesn’t fit into that category.

I couldn’t agree more with this. But I think Vick has pretty well established that he doesn’t give a fuck.

These.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-23-2009, 09:21 PM
I've been saying for a year now that I'm positive where Vick is going to end up. Think about this. He's out of football shape. It's going to take a year maybe two for him to be able to play QB again at a high rate. He may never get where he was, but it definitely won't be overnight.

So any team that signs him will have to find other uses for him in the interim. Who knows Mike Vick? Who has had success with Mike Vick? Who has an aging QB that is going to have to be replaced in the next couple of years?

Mike Vick is going to Atlanta west. He'll be a Seahawk by the middle of August.

JOhn
07-23-2009, 10:02 PM
Yeah, he changed.

On probation, hoping to get re-instated, and the first thing he does is goes partying in a strip club with Allen Iverson.

These.

:spock:

From the links I've read, it's a bogus story.

DJ who reported it, wants to anonymous...and no other witnesses?

Yea, SOLID PROOF he was there. :rolleyes:

Mr. Kotter
07-24-2009, 12:20 AM
Fader/Raider....knowing I'm not the "first in" with that. :shrug:

FAX
07-24-2009, 12:46 AM
If he's on parole and can't hang with other felons, how can he go to the Raiders ROFL

You know, that's actually a pretty interesting point, Mr. LaChapelle.

If the terms of Vick's parole preclude him from associating with felons, it actually does shorten the list of teams he could play for quite a bit.

FAX

Tribal Warfare
07-24-2009, 01:19 AM
The Bengals,Cowboys, or the Jaguars as a slashback

Rausch
07-24-2009, 02:46 AM
I've become an optomist.

I'd like to see him "Kerry Collins" himself.

Guy full of talent, dumb as dildo in a debutante's drawer, but at heart a good person doing stupid $#it repeatedly.

There really is no reason to expect any change but you....you just hope....perhaps somehow.

PHOG
07-24-2009, 02:52 AM
Perhaps Cleveland?? Then they can throw him in the dogpound. heh

Rausch
07-24-2009, 02:53 AM
Perhaps Cleveland?? Then they can throw him in the dogpound. heh

:huh:

the Talking Can
07-24-2009, 04:55 AM
since when is going to a strip club proof you are a criminal?

dude is single, and been locked up....i'd head for the nearest &^%$# store too....

Dayze
07-24-2009, 07:21 AM
Ravens?

Ray-Ray could keep watch over him.

Chiefnj2
07-24-2009, 07:24 AM
The strip club rumor was debunked. The guy spent the day in New Jersey meeting with Goodell.

MahiMike
07-24-2009, 07:34 AM
No way the Jags take him. They're on a "throw the bums out" mission. Anyone w/character issues need look elsewhere.

I don't think any team will sign him as a QB anyways. He'll be Kordell stewart II somewhere.

Tampa or SF is my bet.

OnTheWarpath15
07-24-2009, 07:36 AM
Sirius NFL Radio reported this morning that the League Office is denying that a decision has been made by Goodell.

They don't seem to be denying that the meeting took place, however.

wild1
07-24-2009, 07:38 AM
[/B]

Yes they did manage to float to the top in the NFC south and win one playoff game that year.

Fairplay
07-24-2009, 10:05 AM

I agree. He needs to be on a team with a 'we already have a QB team'. In the meantime, he gets our franchise a lot of tv attention. Something many people say the Chiefs doesn't get enough of.

He has done his punishment. Give him a clean slate. Have our coaching staff have a clear sit down talk with him about what his role is with the team.

Tell him he cannot dress or even be in the stadium if we play the Browns though.

Chiefnj2
07-24-2009, 10:17 AM
Yes they did manage to float to the top in the NFC south and win one playoff game that year.

Vick is 2-2 in the postseason. His last year was 2005 where he had a pretty good game against St. Louis and then a bad game against Philly. It was Philly who beat him both times.

alpha_omega
07-24-2009, 10:20 AM
Anywhere besides here is good enough for me.

Hootie
07-24-2009, 10:32 AM
OTWP is way off base...

Other than the weed scandal at the airport and the dog fighting, Vick had a clean slate...he was an NFL icon...he wasn't Pacman Jones.

Vick, if he makes it back to the NFL, will be clean for the rest of his career.

I have no doubts.

Chaunceythe3rd
07-24-2009, 10:51 AM
I've been saying for a year now that I'm positive where Vick is going to end up. Think about this. He's out of football shape. It's going to take a year maybe two for him to be able to play QB again at a high rate. He may never get where he was, but it definitely won't be overnight.

So any team that signs him will have to find other uses for him in the interim. Who knows Mike Vick? Who has had success with Mike Vick? Who has an aging QB that is going to have to be replaced in the next couple of years?

Mike Vick is going to Atlanta west. He'll be a Seahawk by the middle of August.

I think that you've got something here.

stevieray
07-24-2009, 10:53 AM
I really don't care if he ever plays again.

How many felons are playing professional football?

Hootie
07-24-2009, 11:04 AM
I really don't care if he ever plays again.

How many felons are playing professional football?

I just don't see it...

There are HUNDREDS of NFL players that are way bigger pieces of shit than Mike Vick...how many black NFL players have ever been to a dog fight? I'm willing to bet...A LOT.

He's guilty of being too famous.

MOhillbilly
07-24-2009, 11:08 AM
The Humane Society is WAAY different than PETA.
not really.

Chiefnj2
07-24-2009, 11:08 AM
If Leonard Little was able to play, then Vick should.

Brock
07-24-2009, 11:10 AM
Lots of them have been to dog fights. Not lots of them have "executed dogs by hanging, drowning, electrocution, and in at least one incidence slamming their bodies on the ground repeatedly".

OnTheWarpath15
07-24-2009, 11:10 AM
OTWP is way off base...

Other than the weed scandal at the airport and the dog fighting, Vick had a clean slate...he was an NFL icon...he wasn't Pacman Jones.

Vick, if he makes it back to the NFL, will be clean for the rest of his career.

I have no doubts.

Yeah, other than the weed scandal, the dogfighting, the gambling, infecting women with Herpes, defaulting on loans and giving fake names and bold-faced lying to Goodell, he's got a perfectly clean slate.

Don't act like Vick is a good guy who made a mistake, he has a track record of making mistakes.

dirk digler
07-24-2009, 11:12 AM

Yep.

That POS should have never been allowed to come back and then he turned around and got another DUI.

Hootie
07-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Yeah, other than the weed scandal, the dogfighting, the gambling, infecting women with Herpes, defaulting on loans and giving fake names and bold-faced lying to Goodell, he's got a perfectly clean slate.

Don't act like Vick is a good guy who made a mistake, he has a track record of making mistakes.

I have no money...

I would bet the little money I had that, if Vick gets reinstated and signed by a team, he'll keep a clean slate for the rest of his NFL career...

By clean slate I mean, no more NFL imposed suspensions.

OnTheWarpath15
07-24-2009, 11:13 AM

Blame Tagliabue.

He took the easy route with Little. He should have been out an entire year when he killed Susan Gutweiler, and should have sat another 8 games when he was caught driving drunk again years later.

Getting off as light as he did wouldn't have happened on Goodell's watch.

dirk digler
07-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Blame Tagliabue.

He took the easy route with Little. He should have been out an entire year when he killed Susan Gutweiler, and should have sat another 8 games when he was caught driving drunk again years later.

Getting off as light as he did wouldn't have happened on Goodell's watch.

IMHO he should have been banned permanently.

Goddell though gave Vick a light sentence as well but you could argue he did his time.

stevieray
07-24-2009, 11:18 AM

great logic...:rolleyes:

Hootie
07-24-2009, 11:20 AM

I think Vick paid the right price for his crime...

I think a lot of athletes get off scott free when they shouldn't...

but in Vick's case...he had a MAJOR fall from grace...I think he deserves the chance to try and rebuild his legacy.

JMO

stevieray
07-24-2009, 11:23 AM
I think Vick paid the right price for his crime...

I think a lot of athletes get off scott free when they shouldn't...

but in Vick's case...he had a MAJOR fall from grace...I think he deserves the chance to try and rebuild his legacy.

JMO

legacy?

ROFL

wild1
07-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Vick is 2-2 in the postseason. His last year was 2005 where he had a pretty good game against St. Louis and then a bad game against Philly. It was Philly who beat him both times.

So you'd want him as your franchise QB?

dirk digler

yeah because killing dogs is worse than killing a human

OnTheWarpath15
legacy?

ROFL

It was funnier when he called Vick a NFL Icon.

stevieray
07-24-2009, 11:25 AM

no kidding.

Hootie
07-24-2009, 11:26 AM
legacy?

ROFL

We'll see.

I feel bad for Vick...

He made a mistake...

But hey...people from the "streets"...black people especially...fight dogs...it's a part of THAT culture...

It is what it is...

Like I said...he's guilty of being too famous...

2 years in prison for it...

Stallworth got 24 days.

Vick paid his price...he deserves the chance to redeem himself.

He was an NFL icon.

Brock

Yeah, because that's the argument here. :rolleyes:

Mecca

In some ways he was, your pure stats aren't all that matters in achieving fame or icon type of status.

Vick was a chosen star by the league everyone knew him he was heavily marketed no one can really deny that.

Hootie
07-24-2009, 11:27 AM

you don't think he was an icon?

He was THE player for the black community...

I bet his jersey was the top seller for a few years...everyone had a Vick jersey after he left Va Tech...

If you don't think he was an NFL icon, you are mistaken.

OnTheWarpath15
07-24-2009, 11:28 AM

Dirk...

He doesn't mean the human/animal comparison.

What he does mean is that just because Paul Tagliabue made a massive error in handling the Leonard Little case, that Goodell should just give Vick a pass.

MOhillbilly
But hey...people from the "streets"...black people especially...fight dogs...it's a part of THAT culture...

you shouldnt talk about things you know nothin about.

SAUTO
We'll see.

I feel bad for Vick...

He made a mistake...

It is what it is...

Like I said...he's guilty of being too famous...

2 years in prison for it...

Stallworth got 24 days.

Vick paid his price...he deserves the chance to redeem himself.

He was an NFL icon.

this is the MAIN point here, vick 23 months for dogs, stallworth 24 DAYS for a human, something just doesnt make sense. NOW after 2 years the league may still suspend him for MORE time?

Hootie
if Ladell Betts fought dogs...no one would have given two shits...

SAUTO
07-24-2009, 11:29 AM

mo i know a little about that, and they do. roosters too

Brock
07-24-2009, 11:29 AM

And no one would be clamoring to let him back in the league with a slap on the wrist suspension either.

Mecca
07-24-2009, 11:30 AM
this is the MAIN point here, vick 23 months for dogs, stallworth 24 DAYS for a human, something just doesnt make sense. NOW after 2 years the league may still suspend him for MORE time?

In fairness if Stallworth hadn't been under the influence he'd have gotten nothing for that, the victim was at fault for why he got hit.

stevieray
[QUOTE=Hootie;5922186]

QUOTE]

black people especially?

THAT culture?

:rolleyes:

Hootie
You're probably right...

But from what I've heard, fighting dogs is something ghetto ass black dudes do...no offense.

The NFL is full of "ghetto ass black dudes"...just because they sign that contract doesn't mean they forget about the streets...

What do we correlate dog fights with?

Black people or white people?

Exactly.

He's guilty because he's famous.

If it were someone like Ladell Betts (just an obscure backup RB)...no one would notice/care.

OnTheWarpath15
07-24-2009, 11:31 AM
In some ways he was, your pure stats aren't all that matters in achieving fame or icon type of status.

Vick was a chosen star by the league everyone knew him he was heavily marketed no one can really deny that.

For what, 3 years? And he was successful for what, 18 months of those 3 years?

Absolutely he was heavily marketed. But there was no longevity.

Tom Brady is an icon. Peyton Manning.

They've done it, and done it consistently.

Vick's nowhere near that class, IMO.

OnTheWarpath15
07-24-2009, 11:32 AM

And no one would be clamoring to let him back in the league with a slap on the wrist suspension either.

If it had been Ladell Betts, he'd still be in prison.

Anyone other than Mike Vick gets the max sentence of 5 years.

Hootie
07-24-2009, 11:32 AM
I don't know how to put it Stevie...

Call me a racist...don't give a shit...call it like I see it...

Poor, black, ghetto people...are known to breed and fight dogs...drug dealers...people from the streets...

I never said EVERY AFRICAN AMERICAN fights dogs...

Brock
07-24-2009, 11:33 AM
Vick might have been an icon in the "Let's put him in our shoe ads so stupid people will buy them" sense. Otherwise, not so much.

dirk digler
07-24-2009, 11:33 AM
Dirk...

He doesn't mean the human/animal comparison.

What he does mean is that just because Paul Tagliabue made a massive error in handling the Leonard Little case, that Goodell should just give Vick a pass.

I am not defending Vick but he did his year or so in jail for a despicable act while Little did 90 days in jail for killing a woman and then 3 years later got another DUI.

But lets face it Goddell pretty much gave Vick a pass as well since he is only going to be missing 4 games.

What will be interesting is how Goddell will treat Stallworth.

Hootie
07-24-2009, 11:34 AM
For what, 3 years? And he was successful for what, 18 months of those 3 years?

Absolutely he was heavily marketed. But there was no longevity.

Tom Brady is an icon. Peyton Manning.

They've done it, and done it consistently.

Vick's nowhere near that class, IMO.

Vick might not have had the stats...but the Falcons were a successful, winning team with him at QB.

To say he wasn't an NFL icon is just purely wrong.

If he wasn't, why in god's fucking name would he get all of this coverage?

He was/is a star.

and I think he deserves the chance to redeem himself...and I think he will.

Simply Red
07-24-2009, 11:34 AM

that

Simply Red
07-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Vick might have been an icon in the "Let's put him in our shoe ads so stupid people will buy them" sense. Otherwise, not so much.

QFT, IMO too.

Hootie
07-24-2009, 11:36 AM

how quickly people forget...

one of the greatest QB'd games I've ever seen was Mike Vick beating Brett Favre at Lambeau in the playoffs...

KGB rushing him...had him sacked...Vick jukes him...KGB gets his facemask...Vick has enough composure to straighten out his facemask...make a few people miss...and turn a 20 yard loss into a first down...he was the most exciting player since Barry Sanders.

Hootie
07-24-2009, 11:36 AM
and god help me, as a chiefs fan, do not put him on the Raiders...I don't want good NFL players on rival teams.

OnTheWarpath15
07-24-2009, 11:37 AM
In fairness if Stallworth hadn't been under the influence he'd have gotten nothing for that, the victim was at fault for why he got hit.

Not to mention, like Little, it was an accident.

Neither Stallworth nor Little got in the car that night and KNEW they were going to kill someone. They made a poor decision that millions of people get away with every night. I'M NOT CONDONING DRUNK DRIVING.

Vick made a conscious decision to raise dogs for the purpose of fighting them, made a conscious decision to kill them in the most inhumane ways possible, made a conscious decision to bankroll the gambling that took place during these fights, and made a conscious decision to lie about all of it to Roger Goodell's face.

wild1

One of them was facing federal RICO case. Vick was being prosecuted in the same way as white collar crooks or mobsters are. The other one hit a pedestrian in his car and made a plea deal.

The fact that Stallworth was .12, which barely used to be over the limit, had been drinking does not mean that his drinking caused the accident. From my recollection a witness said the guy ran out from between cars into his path. It's entirely possible, maybe even likely, that although he was under the influence, he was not at fault. If he hadn't been drunk, he probably would not have gotten anything.

The state would not have had an easy proof there, and he got 10 years probation anyway. He'll end up serving the rest of his sentence because he won't be able to walk the line for a whole decade.

OnTheWarpath15

This.

MOhillbilly
07-24-2009, 11:42 AM
mo i know a little about that, and they do. roosters too

Ive been around long enough to know that when hootie wrote that esp black people fought dogs it lets me know he gets his info about life from the TV.

Chiefnj2
Not to mention, like Little, it was an accident.

Neither Stallworth nor Little got in the car that night and KNEW they were going to kill someone. They made a poor decision that millions of people get away with every night. I'M NOT CONDONING DRUNK DRIVING.

Vick made a conscious decision to raise dogs for the purpose of fighting them, made a conscious decision to kill them in the most inhumane ways possible, made a conscious decision to bankroll the gambling that took place during these fights, and made a conscious decision to lie about all of it to Roger Goodell's face.

Little was not an accident. Did he accidentally consume enough alcohol that his bac was 2x over the state limit? Did he accidentally get into his car and turn the key? Drinking and driving were as much of a "conscious decision" as was Vick's "conscious decision" to kill dogs.

dirk digler
and god help me, as a chiefs fan, do not put him on the Raiders...I don't want good NFL players on rival teams.

I personally don't think Vick will be any good no matter where he goes. The NFL is a passing league and he is absolutely one of the worst passers to ever don a NFL uniform.

stevieray
07-24-2009, 11:45 AM
If he wasn't, why in god's ****ing name would he get all of this coverage?

If you don't know the answer to this, I can't help you.

Hootie
07-24-2009, 11:47 AM
If you don't know the answer to this, I can't help you.

the answer is...

Mike Vick is a star.

Like it or not...

MOhillbilly
07-24-2009, 11:47 AM
You're probably right...

But from what I've heard, fighting dogs is something ghetto ass black dudes do...no offense.

The NFL is full of "ghetto ass black dudes"...just because they sign that contract doesn't mean they forget about the streets...

What do we correlate dog fights with?

Black people or white people?

Exactly.

He's guilty because he's famous.

If it were someone like Ladell Betts (just an obscure backup RB)...no one would notice/care.

only reason you think blacks fight dogs more that whites is the image kids your age are shown in popular culture 24/7. Bullshit society.
And you are correct there has been more than one NFL player busted for dogs Krazyside kennels was run by a ex-giant. Guys been busted atleast 2-3 times.

wild1
07-24-2009, 11:48 AM
the answer is...

Mike Vick is a star.

Like it or not...

Sure. Just ask Stuart Scott.

L.A. Chieffan
07-24-2009, 11:49 AM
i said it before in the other thread. take out the dog fighting and there would be teams lining up to trade for Vick

dirk digler
07-24-2009, 11:50 AM
i said it before in the other thread. take out the dog fighting and there would be teams lining up to trade for Vick

Yeah alot of NFL teams need scout QB's to fill out their roster.

OnTheWarpath15
07-24-2009, 11:51 AM
Little was not an accident. Did he accidentally consume enough alcohol that his bac was 2x over the state limit? Did he accidentally get into his car and turn the key? Drinking and driving were as much of a "conscious decision" as was Vick's "conscious decision" to kill dogs.

Once again, you've swung and missed.

Did he make a conscious decision to kill someone that night?

No, he didn't. It was an accident.

Yes, he made a conscious decision to drink and then drive. He did n;t make a conscious decision to kill someone in the process. Had you told him "You WILL kill someone tonight if you drive home" and he did it anyway, then you'd have a point.

Hootie
07-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Yeah alot of NFL teams need scout QB's to fill out their roster.

ROFL

Whatever...

He was a tremendously successful QB...with a record far above .500...

Chiefnj2
07-24-2009, 11:53 AM
Once again, you've swung and missed.

Did he make a conscious decision to kill someone that night?

No, he didn't. It was an accident.

Yes, he made a conscious decision to drink and then drive. He did n;t make a conscious decision to kill someone in the process. Had you told him "You WILL kill someone tonight if you drive home" and he did it anyway, then you'd have a point.

He is unaware that having a BAC of more than 2x the legal limit doesn't increase the chance that he will be involved in an accident and possibly kill someone?

stevieray
the answer is...

Mike Vick is a star.

Like it or not...

notoreity doesn't equal fame, at least from reasonable people.

L.A. Chieffan
if you're the redskins would you rather have jason campbell or michael vick starting for you?

Brock
07-24-2009, 11:54 AM
He is unaware that having a BAC of more than 2x the legal limit doesn't increase the chance that he will be involved in an accident and possibly kill someone?

That equals intent?

L.A. Chieffan
if youre the browns would you rather have anderson/quinn or vick?

Hootie
notoreity doesn't equal fame, at least from reasonable people.

34-26-1 and 2-2 in the playoffs...

most rushing yards ever by a QB in a single season...

he was an NFL star and has a chance to regain that...

He deserves it...he paid his price to society.

L.A. Chieffan
07-24-2009, 11:55 AM
hill/smith or vick?

Chiefnj2
That equals intent?

Where did I say it equals intent?

L.A. Chieffan
russsell or vick?

OnTheWarpath15
07-24-2009, 11:58 AM
ROFL

Whatever...

Yeah, when I think of successful QB's, I always think of a guy with a 53% career completion percentage, a guy who didn't throw for more than 200 yards in 57 of his 74 starts, a guy that's never thrown for 3000 yards or more than 20 TD's in a season, and a guy that has a career 75.7 QB rating.

Oh, and a guy who fumbled the ball 55 times in 74 games.

dirk digler
07-24-2009, 12:00 PM
ROFL

Whatever...

The only thing Vick was successful at was running with the ball. How many WR's did they go through before they figured out that Vick just sucks at passing?

dirk digler
Yeah, when I think of successful QB's, I always think of a guy with a 53% career completion percentage, a guy who didn't throw for more than 200 yards in 57 of his 74 starts, a guy that's never thrown for 3000 yards or more than 20 TD's in a season, and a guy that has a career 75.7 QB rating.

Yep.

Brock
Where did I say it equals intent?

By inferring that it was something other than an accident caused by negligence.

stevieray
07-24-2009, 12:05 PM
most rushing yards ever by a QB in a single season...

He deserves it...he paid his price to society.

big damn deal, it's exactly why he'll never be a great QB...

He deserves to rebuild his life, but doesn't even come close to deserving to play in the NFL agan.

JuicesFlowing
07-24-2009, 12:05 PM

Nice stats. I hope he goes to Oakland. That would be a perfect fit for that dumpster fire of a franchise.

Chiefnj2
07-24-2009, 12:09 PM
By inferring that it was something other than an accident caused by negligence.

You think he accidentally drank and got behind the wheel?

MOhillbilly
07-24-2009, 12:15 PM
Leshon Johnson if anyone cares.

Brock
07-24-2009, 12:16 PM
You think he accidentally drank and got behind the wheel?

I think his judgement was impaired as to whether he should be driving or not.

SAUTO
07-24-2009, 12:42 PM
One of them was facing federal RICO case. Vick was being prosecuted in the same way as white collar crooks or mobsters are. The other one hit a pedestrian in his car and made a plea deal.

The fact that Stallworth was .12, which barely used to be over the limit, had been drinking does not mean that his drinking caused the accident. From my recollection a witness said the guy ran out from between cars into his path. It's entirely possible, maybe even likely, that although he was under the influence, he was not at fault. If he hadn't been drunk, he probably would not have gotten anything.

The state would not have had an easy proof there, and he got 10 years probation anyway. He'll end up serving the rest of his sentence because he won't be able to walk the line for a whole decade.

if you are driving drunk IT"S YOUR FAULT NO MATTER WHAT ELSE HAPPENED!

wild1
07-24-2009, 01:03 PM

That's stupid. I could be driving drunk, but driving perfectly, and someone else could run a red light and broadside my car. Some accidents are not preventable.

This is elementary school stuff. The fact that someone was drunk and was in an accident does not mean they were in an accident because they were drunk.

Brock
07-24-2009, 01:35 PM

No.

FAX
07-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Wasn't Vick's NFL contract the largest in history at the time?

He really has an amazing story. I wonder who has the movie rights. Downey Jr. could capture his essence, I think.

FAX

JuicesFlowing
07-24-2009, 01:51 PM

He really has an amazing story. I wonder who has the movie rights. Downey Jr. could capture his essence, I think.

FAX

As long as they include the whole "Ron Mexico" thing in the movie.

RustShack
07-24-2009, 01:52 PM
The Vikings offense could be sick if they got him. Vick, Peterson, Harvin, Berrian, Rice... imagine the crazy shit they could do.

Mr. Krab
07-24-2009, 02:07 PM
I figured Goodell would make sure Vick wasn't playing on opening day. Just want to avoid bad PR during week 1.

RustShack
07-24-2009, 02:09 PM
Hes paid his dues, just reinstate him.

Halfcan
07-24-2009, 02:24 PM

FAX

ROFL Cuba Gooding Jr maybe

SAUTO
07-24-2009, 02:33 PM
That's stupid. I could be driving drunk, but driving perfectly, and someone else could run a red light and broadside my car. Some accidents are not preventable.

This is elementary school stuff. The fact that someone was drunk and was in an accident does not mean they were in an accident because they were drunk.

ROFL ASK THE JUDGE HIS OPINION.ROFL the accident would still be considered your fault.

SAUTO
07-24-2009, 02:36 PM
its like the situation if 2 guys were robbing a bank and the police shot and killed one, it's the other one's fault because of the crime being committed. i believe it's called furtherance of a felony or something lto that effect

FAX
07-24-2009, 02:41 PM
I figured Goodell would make sure Vick wasn't playing on opening day. Just want to avoid bad PR during week 1.

He really is conscious of all that stuff, Mr. Mr. Krab's. There was an incident not long ago (I can't recall the details, sadly) in which he did a similar thing ... instituted temporary penalties and put off final judgment until a later time ... obviously, to allow the media to cool off a little.

FAX

Chiefnj2
07-24-2009, 02:43 PM
He really is conscious of all that stuff, Mr. Mr. Krab's. There was an incident not long ago (I can't recall the details, sadly) in which he did a similar thing ... instituted temporary penalties and put off final judgment until a later time ... obviously, to allow the media to cool off a little.

FAX

He's waiting for a nice combination of Favre signing in Minny, camp openings and a first round signing or two. If Owens acts up in Buffalo it will be icing on the cake.

Brock
07-24-2009, 02:45 PM
ROFL ASK THE JUDGE HIS OPINION.ROFL the accident would still be considered your fault.

No, that's not correct.

PRIEST
07-24-2009, 02:48 PM

THIS:doh!:

StcChief
07-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Faiders no doubt. Greasy Al is all over this.

SAUTO
07-24-2009, 03:20 PM
No, that's not correct.

uhhhh, yeah it is. ask a judge, i did.

Chiefnj2
07-24-2009, 03:22 PM
uhhhh, yeah it is. ask a judge, i did.

The drunk will get a DUI even if not responsible for the accident. The person who caused the accident can still be held accountable.

FAX
07-24-2009, 03:30 PM
What if the judge was the drunk guy? What about that?

FAX

SAUTO
07-24-2009, 03:32 PM
The drunk will get a DUI even if not responsible for the accident. The person who caused the accident can still be held accountable.

nope. if you are driving drunk you are responsible for whatever happens.

Halfcan
07-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Faders will sign him by the end of the week.

By week 4- Jafatass will be pushing 370-so Dogkiller will slid right in his spot to throw many INT's.

FAX
07-24-2009, 03:48 PM
What if the driver of the first car is drunk, the driver of the second car is drunk, the cop is drunk, and the judge is drunk? What about that?

FAX

SAUTO
07-24-2009, 03:49 PM
What if the driver of the first car is drunk, the driver of the second car is drunk, the cop is drunk, and the judge is drunk? What about that?

FAX

fucking faxyROFL

Brock
07-24-2009, 05:18 PM
nope. if you are driving drunk you are responsible for whatever happens.

I don't care who you talked to about it, that's not what the law says.

wild1
07-24-2009, 05:21 PM

FAX

Give the jury an open bar and let them decide.

SAUTO
07-24-2009, 05:22 PM
I don't care who you talked to about it, that's not what the law says.

ok, lets see, stallworth was drunk and got charged with manslaughter, but it was the other guy's fault. if he hadnt been drunk he probably would not have even gotten a ticket. if the theories in this thread were true he would have gotten a DUI BUT no manslaughter charges right?

wild1
07-24-2009, 05:24 PM
What if the pedestrian was drunk to go along with his jaywalking... shouldn't it be his fault? That's two crimes to one.

stevieray
07-24-2009, 06:47 PM

FAXjudge calls recess right before happy hour

Dylan
07-24-2009, 06:49 PM
Perfect for the Steelers -- right now

OnTheWarpath15
07-24-2009, 07:32 PM
Just read that if Goodell does decide to grant Vick conditional reinstatement, that one of the conditions will be taking regular drug tests - a failed test would result in the reinstatement being pulled.

Sorry, but there's no way Vick lays off the sticky.

Fairplay
07-24-2009, 07:44 PM
Just read that if Goodell does decide to grant Vick conditional reinstatement, that one of the conditions will be taking regular drug tests - a failed test would result in the reinstatement being pulled.

Before game, Commissioner says "Here Vick, here is a cup take it in the bathroom and bring it back, we're testing you."

Later......

Vick says "Here's the cup back."

Commissioner astonished says, "Not of the white stuff you moron!" :eek:

Param
07-24-2009, 07:59 PM

Stallworth was totally at fault.

DJ's left nut
07-24-2009, 08:02 PM
its like the situation if 2 guys were robbing a bank and the police shot and killed one, it's the other one's fault because of the crime being committed. i believe it's called furtherance of a felony or something lto that effect

It's the felony murder rule and it wouldn't apply in the above instance because of the red-line rule.

If the cop killed the teller you'd be right but it doesn't apply to co-conspirators.

As for the DUI thing, it would depend almost entirely on how the doctrine of 'negligence per se' is utilized in that jurisdiction. I could see a judge going either way with it. Ultimately I'm going to bet that about 75% of the judges come down on your side.

SAUTO
07-25-2009, 09:49 AM
It's the felony murder rule and it wouldn't apply in the above instance because of the red-line rule.

If the cop killed the teller you'd be right but it doesn't apply to co-conspirators.

As for the DUI thing, it would depend almost entirely on how the doctrine of 'negligence per se' is utilized in that jurisdiction. I could see a judge going either way with it. Ultimately I'm going to bet that about 75% of the judges come down on your side.

i wasnt totally sure about the felony-murder rule but i knew it was something like that, and Thanks on the other.