PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Guinness good for you - official

Lzen
07-29-2009, 07:24 AM
A coworker sent this to me. Thought I would share. I know this is an older article but figure that surely someone has not read it. :)

The long-running ad campaign is well-known
The old advertising slogan "Guinness is Good for You" may be true after all, according to researchers.
A pint of the black stuff a day may work as well as an aspirin to prevent heart clots that raise the risk of heart attacks.
Drinking lager does not yield the same benefits, experts from University of Wisconsin told a conference in the US.
Guinness were told to stop using the slogan decades ago - and the firm still makes no health claims for the drink.
The Wisconsin team tested the health-giving properties of stout against lager by giving it to dogs who had narrowed arteries similar to those in heart disease.
They found that those given the Guinness had reduced clotting activity in their blood, but not those given lager.
Heart trigger
Clotting is important for patients who are at risk of a heart attack because they have hardened arteries.
A heart attack is triggered when a clot lodges in one of these arteries supplying the heart.
Many patients are prescribed low-dose aspirin as this cuts the ability of the blood to form these dangerous clots.
The researchers told a meeting of the American Heart Association in Orlando, Florida, that the most benefit they saw was from 24 fluid ounces of Guinness - just over a pint - taken at mealtimes.

We already know that most of the clotting effects are due to the alcohol itself, rather than any other ingredients

Spokesman, Brewing Research International
They believe that "antioxidant compounds" in the Guinness, similar to those found in certain fruits and vegetables, are responsible for the health benefits because they slow down the deposit of harmful cholesterol on the artery walls.
However, Diageo, the company that now manufactures Guinness, said: "We never make any medical claims for our drinks."
The company now runs advertisements that call for "responsible drinking".
A spokesman for Brewing Research International, which conducts research for the industry, said she would be "wary" of placing the health benefits of any alcohol brand above another.
She said: "We already know that most of the clotting effects are due to the alcohol itself, rather than any other ingredients.
"It is possible that there is an extra effect due to the antioxidants in Guinness - but I would like to see this research repeated."
She said that reviving the old adverts for Guinness might be problematic - at least in the EU.
Draft legislation could outlaw any health claims in adverts for alcohol in Europe, she said.
Feelgood factor
The original campaign in the 1920s stemmed from market research - when people told the company that they felt good after their pint, the slogan was born.
In England, post-operative patients used to be given Guinness, as were blood donors, based on the belief that it was high in iron.
Pregnant women and nursing mothers were at one stage advised to drink Guinness - the present advice is against this.
The UK is still the largest market in the world for Guinness, although the drink does not feature in the UK's top ten beer brands according to the latest research.

Lzen
07-29-2009, 07:24 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3266819.stm

MOhillbilly
07-29-2009, 07:35 AM
I love it but it make you shit a greasy black turd.

Lzen
07-29-2009, 07:36 AM
I love it but it make you shit a greasy black turd.

You know, I really can't remember if I have ever tried Guinness. I know, I know...... :(

Scorp
07-29-2009, 07:38 AM
It is hard for me to choke down being a stout beer. I guess I can sacrifice if it keeps the reaper away.

MOhillbilly
07-29-2009, 07:39 AM
id drink it all day if it werent so freakin expensive.

Abba-Dabba
07-29-2009, 07:41 AM
You know, I really can't remember if I have ever tried Guinness. I know, I know...... :(

Tastes like iced coffee.

Lzen
07-29-2009, 07:52 AM
Tastes like iced coffee.

Really? Well then I don't really want to try it. I like coffee (but not iced) and I like beer, but I want those to be separate things.

Hammock Parties
07-29-2009, 07:52 AM
Too bad it tastes like shit.

Abba-Dabba
07-29-2009, 07:55 AM
Really? Well then I don't really want to try it. I like coffee (but not iced) and I like beer, but I want those to be separate things.
Yeah, me either. IMO I think Guinness is vastly overrated. You either love it or hate it.

MOhillbilly
07-29-2009, 08:00 AM
Too bad it tastes like shit.

How do you know what shit tastes like?

Demonpenz
07-29-2009, 08:12 AM
it doesn't taste like iced coffee it's never served "iced" and if you ever had blvd stout it tastes like that. A stout beer

Monty
07-29-2009, 08:26 AM

Ditto that. If you've ever had the non-pasteurized version sold in Europe, it's incredible IMO and even better than what we get in the states. I know everyone has different tastes, but the local Guinness is amazing stuff. If I could just brew that at home, I'd be set! :toast:

Mr. Plow
07-29-2009, 08:42 AM

No doubt. Got some in the fridge at home.

Reaper16
07-29-2009, 09:28 AM
It is hard for me to choke down being a stout beer. I guess I can sacrifice if it keeps the reaper away.
Fuck, I love stouts (Guinness excepted). You having stouts around will draw me to you.

Third Eye
07-29-2009, 09:54 AM
Having just hit the ground after spending 6 weeks in Ireland, I think it's safe to say it will be awhile before I have another Guiness.

Lzen
07-29-2009, 10:14 AM
it doesn't taste like iced coffee it's never served "iced" and if you ever had blvd stout it tastes like that. A stout beer

I like Blvd stout.

Monty
07-29-2009, 10:43 AM
Having just hit the ground after spending 6 weeks in Ireland, I think it's safe to say it will be awhile before I have another Guiness.

To each their own. :)

Demonpenz
07-29-2009, 10:55 AM
I like Blvd stout.

reaper will have to back me up with this blvd stout tastes similar too Guiness just slightly less thick. Usually served colder. tastes the same in irish car bombs.
Too poor a decent guiness take your pint cup underneth the tap at 45 degree angle let it go all the way up to the end of the logo of whatever is on your pint glass. Let sit for a minute or two then fill it all the way up with the guiness cup straight up. you get the carbination coming up the side.

CosmicPal
07-29-2009, 10:58 AM
Cool. I had several glasses of that stuff last night.

Reaper16
07-29-2009, 11:02 AM
reaper will have to back me up with this blvd stout tastes similar too Guiness just slightly less thick. Usually served colder. tastes the same in irish car bombs.
Too poor a decent guiness take your pint cup underneth the tap at 45 degree angle let it go all the way up to the end of the logo of whatever is on your pint glass. Let sit for a minute or two then fill it all the way up with the guiness cup straight up. you get the carbination coming up the side.

Yup, Boulevard Dry Stout tastes remarkably like Guinness. They are both beers of the 'Irish dry stout' style. The carbonation waves you're talking about come as a result of Guinness (and a lot of other stouts) coming on a nitro-tap. Most taps are CO2, while nitro-taps use nitrogen.