PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Tony G. slights Trent Green?

|Zach|
08-03-2009, 08:22 PM
KC STAR USES AP STORY ON GONZALEZ RATHER THAN SI REMARKS

Former Kansas City Chief tight end Tony Gonzalez is featured in Sports Illustrated (August 3) discussing how glad he is to be with the Atlanta Falcons and, somewhat ironically, noted that what he particularly likes about playing for the Falcons is "There are no prima donnas."

The SI puff piece by Austin Murphy portrays Gonzalez as an intellectual who may be the greatest tight end in NFL history.

What might be of particular interest to Chiefs fans reading the article is a perceived slight of former two-time Pro Bowl and Super Bowl champion quarterback Trent Green, both by Murphy and Gonzalez.

"The numbers the tight end (Gonzalez) put up in Kansas City, year after year, are all the more impressive considering that he never worked with a topflight quarterback," says Murphy.

Murphy later quotes Gonzalez as saying that the Falcons' second-year quarterback Matt Ryan "will be the best quarterback I've ever had."

Maybe Gonzalez has forgotten that from 2003 through 2005 Green had three straight seasons where he passed for more than 4,000 yards. That's a record shared only by Drew Bledsoe, Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, Dan Fouts and Warren Moon.

Green also has the distinction of having three consecutive seasons with a QB rating of 90.0 or better and started 80 consecutive games during his first five years with the Chiefs, a team record.

Rather than do a story on the Sports Illustrated interview, the Kansas City Star instead took the safe route by running an Associated Press story with Gonzalez' toned-down remarks about playing with Ryan (LINK).

“He’s definitely ahead of the curve,” Gonzalez said of his new teammate in the AP story. “I’m very impressed by him. All the hype, it’s real, and it means something when you step out here on the field.”

Ryan and the Falcons will soon realize that although Gonzalez laments "prima donnas" they will learn very quickly that his "team" attitude will change dramatically if he feels he is not thrown to enough during games.

The Falcons will also learn that he keeps exacts statistics about himself. When he is close to setting a record that event will take precedence over team goals, as the Chiefs learned last year.

http://www.bottomlinecom.com/kcnews/gonzalezsivsap.html

08-03-2009, 08:23 PM
What do you expect him to say? Matt Ryan is the second best QB? Come on man.

BigMeatballDave
08-03-2009, 08:25 PM
I agree with TG here. Trent was good. But Ryan is gonna be a star.

|Zach|
08-03-2009, 08:26 PM
What do you expect him to say? Matt Ryan is the second best QB? Come on man.

So you feel he had to say one was better than the other? I don't have a problem with him saying one or the other but there is no reason to act like the question couldn't have been answered differently.

He also talks about Green right after this quote... "noted that what he particularly likes about playing for the Falcons is "There are no prima donnas."

So is that what you expected him to say?

Skip Towne
08-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Gonzo is known for his "company man" comments.

Sure-Oz
08-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Tony likes his baja fresh

KCChiefsMan
08-03-2009, 08:28 PM

nope, Matt Ryan is not a typical NFL style QB. He will be a 1st round bust./mecca and everyone else from CP

pikesome
08-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Would anyone like to sell me on the idea that Tony's comments have ever been anything but politic? He's said a lot of eye-rolling things about everyone he's played with or for.

milkman
08-03-2009, 08:30 PM
nope, Matt Ryan is not a typical NFL style QB. He will be a 1st round bust./mecca and everyone else from CP

If you are going to critisize people, maybe you should actually know wtf you are talking about first.

Dumbass.

milkman
08-03-2009, 08:32 PM
I've said it before.

Tony has always been all about Tony.

Pioli Zombie
08-03-2009, 08:33 PM
The Rock in "The Game Plan"

So Tony G.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Bad Guy
08-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Tony Gonzalez is the biggest drama queen in the NFL. His nice guy image is such a load of bullshit. Ask anyone who has had direct interactions with Tony Gonzalez how much of a nice guy he is.

DeezNutz
08-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Tyler Thigpen should be the starter. /Tony/

Pioli Zombie
08-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Tony G blows birds.
Posted via Mobile Device

|Zach|
08-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Tony Gonzalez is the biggest drama queen in the NFL. His nice guy image is such a load of bullshit. Ask anyone who has had direct interactions with Tony Gonzalez how much of a nice guy he is.

He lived in the same condo as one of my good friends, we used to run into him all the time. Always really enjoyable to talk with.

:shrug:

Even if thats not the case your first sentence is really worth a good eye roll.

leviw
08-03-2009, 08:41 PM
Bottomlinecom is indescribably dumb.

Rather than do a story on the Sports Illustrated interview, the Kansas City Star instead took the safe route by running an Associated Press story with Gonzalez' toned-down remarks about playing with Ryan (LINK).

Why in the hell would the Star do a story on the SI story with TG? That's beyond dumb.

Secondly, the rest of the article is f-ing stupid.

|Zach|
08-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Bottomlinecom is indescribably dumb.

Why in the hell would the Star do a story on the SI story with TG? That's beyond dumb.

Secondly, the rest of the article is f-ing stupid.

It happens literally all the time...a lot of those stories have tidbits of information that are leaked and reported on before it goes out.

sedated
08-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Former Kansas City Chief tight end Tony Gonzalez...noted that what he particularly likes about playing for the Falcons is "There are no prima donnas."

except for the one they got with that 2nd round pick.

how ironic.

chefsos
08-03-2009, 08:43 PM
So...Tony looked over the other 79 guys on the Falcons' practice field and couldn't find the prima donna. Huh.

08-03-2009, 08:46 PM
So you feel he had to say one was better than the other? I don't have a problem with him saying one or the other but there is no reason to act like the question couldn't have been answered differently.

He also talks about Green right after this quote... "noted that what he particularly likes about playing for the Falcons is "There are no prima donnas."

So is that what you expected him to say?Well, maybe I am reading it wrong but I am not seeing anywhere in that article where he is slighting Trent Green or calling him personally a prima donna.

This is TG being TG. He would be saying this if his QB was Jeff friggin George.

Fish
08-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Tony G would praise Satan himself if he'd only throw him the ball enough....

08-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Tyler Thigpen should be the starter. /Tony/LMAO

LaChapelle
08-03-2009, 08:49 PM
He don't eat meat, but he sure loves the bone.

milkman
08-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Good grief, we had no balls on offense.

God, I hated Marty.

sedated
08-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Good grief, we had no balls on offense.

God, I hated Marty.

quoted before you realize this isn't the DT 7-sack game thread

milkman
08-03-2009, 08:55 PM

Whtat?

chefsos
08-03-2009, 09:01 PM

Heh. Marty bashing is universal and all-consuming...

leviw
08-03-2009, 09:12 PM
It happens literally all the time...a lot of those stories have tidbits of information that are leaked and reported on before it goes out.

Wait... I understand if there is a tidbit from an upcoming SI story you want to point out to your readers.

I don't understand doing a full-blown story on a SI interview about a player who no longer plays for the local team who, and this is arguable, slighted a quarterback who no longer plays for the local team.

Dumb on many levels.

Skip Towne
08-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Heh. Marty bashing is universal and all-consuming...

You only see that on this board. He won 200 games.

Nzoner
08-03-2009, 09:25 PM

He lived in the same condo as one of my good friends, we used to run into him all the time. Always really enjoyable to talk with.

:shrug:

Even if thats not the case your first sentence is really worth a good eye roll.

My only direct interaction with him sucked.He can kiss my ass and I hope he never gets a ring,it'll serve him right.

CosmicPal
08-03-2009, 09:30 PM
Tony has yet to play a single game with Matt Ryan, so his comment is merely based on the fact he wants to create a rich working relationship with his CURRENT QB. He could give a rats ass about any of his former QBs.

Nzoner
08-03-2009, 09:33 PM
Tony has yet to play a single game with Matt Ryan, so his comment is merely based on the fact he wants to create a rich working relationship with his CURRENT QB. He could give a rats ass about any of his former QBs.

That's too bad because Trent was on Petro's show the other day and had nothing but good to say about Gonzo.

CosmicPal
08-03-2009, 09:42 PM
That's too bad because Trent was on Petro's show the other day and had nothing but good to say about Gonzo.

That is Trent's style and I admire that. I'm not saying what Tony said was right or wrong, but the guy is merely just trying to let his current QB know he thinks "highly" of him- it's locker room speech: I pat your back, you pat mine.

Mr. Kotter
08-03-2009, 10:04 PM

Gonzo's still in the league; Green is doing play-by-play....

I'm with Cosmic....he's just yapping to build-up his meal-ticket for the next couple of years.

No biggie in my book; Green is man enough to understand that. :shrug:

Shaid
08-03-2009, 10:21 PM

Ryan isn't better yet. Could be, but not yet. He shouldn't have made the comment.

Just Passin' By
08-03-2009, 10:27 PM
If you're playing football for half an hour and you still don't know who the Prima Donna is, you're the Prima Donna.

KcMizzou
08-03-2009, 10:32 PM

how ironic.Winnar.

BigMeatballDave
08-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Ryan isn't better yet. Could be, but not yet. He shouldn't have made the comment.Well, in fairness, TG did say 'will be'...

Mr. Kotter
08-03-2009, 11:20 PM

I understand the sentiment, but think you are misguided....

....my take is that he, like so many professional athletes, becomes arrogant after a few years....and, in addition, just tires of the toll that adulation by fans takes on him, in his private life....what you consider drama queen, is actually his attempt to be "real" as he can be, given his fame....and the ridiculous expectations of adoring and over-bearing fans, who demand autographs, time, and attention....that no mature adult should demand of another.

FWIW, his interactions with children....in my experience, are more telling. Which is also probably why he probably treated Zach and his friend, respectfully....

;)

Reaper16
08-03-2009, 11:21 PM
Non-issue. If you don't think that Matt Ryan's ceiling is higher than Trent Green's then you might need to re-think things.

Mr. Kotter
08-03-2009, 11:23 PM
Non-issue. If you don't think that Matt Ryan's ceiling is higher than Trent Green's then you might need to re-think things.

Yeppers. :toast:

morphius
08-03-2009, 11:46 PM
Of course he is going to say that the QB he is playing with is the best QB ever, I wouldn't expect him to say anything else honestly. If he was playing with Ryan Leaf I figure Gonzo would say the same thing.

Psyko Tek
08-04-2009, 12:50 AM
wow
the knives sure come out fast here

et tu tony

DaneMcCloud
08-04-2009, 01:01 AM
wow
the knives sure come out fast here

et tu tony

I don't speak Spanish.

What does that mean?

salame
08-04-2009, 01:03 AM
Matt Ryan seems like he has a pretty high upside
much higher than Joe Flacco

Phobia
08-04-2009, 01:06 AM
I don't think anybody will argue that Green was the product of a system. Great guy, terrific family man who is great for a community.

But he had the helm of the most prolific offense ever. Not just anybody could jump into that system and be successful but there are hundreds of QB's we've forgotten or never heard of who could direct that offense to equally impressive numbers in my opinion. Green was never a physical specimen with particularly quick reads. He didn't have a cannon for an arm. He wasn't even incredibly accurate. He had an amazing opportunity at the perfect time in his career.

Let's recognize him for his timing, toughness, leadership, family values, scrapper mentality, intelligence, and community contributions but let's not pretend he was an elite quarterback by any measuring stick unrelated to fantasy football.

I don't think Gonzo's comments were unfair and I'm not even a fan of the man.

jAZ
08-04-2009, 01:19 AM
Why would anyone assume that Gonzo was talking about Trent with the "There are no prima donnas" comment. I'd first assume he was talking about Larry Johnson.

sodcat
08-04-2009, 04:42 AM
Ryan's proven nothing to date, when gonzo starts getting less balls thrown his way, the real tony will start mouthing again....

Demonpenz
08-04-2009, 04:46 AM
I would bet if you asked green, green would just say "that's how the game is played" or something to that effect. Some players will do the song and dance for the fans, media, the franchise, to make sure it is all positive for the future. Every fan wants to hear that this season is going to be great, and they are hard working just like your hardhat wearing fans. The ones that say something different ususally don't grasp the language well, or are named Jared allen

Kerberos
08-04-2009, 05:12 AM
Former Kansas City Chief tight end Tony Gonzalez...noted that what he particularly likes about playing for the Falcons is "There are no prima donnas."

how ironic.

Winnar.

Glad I'm not the only one that saw irony in those words.

Kerberos
08-04-2009, 05:14 AM
I don't think anybody will argue that Green was the product of a system. Great guy, terrific family man who is great for a community.

But he had the helm of the most prolific offense ever. Not just anybody could jump into that system and be successful but there are hundreds of QB's we've forgotten or never heard of who could direct that offense to equally impressive numbers in my opinion. Green was never a physical specimen with particularly quick reads. He didn't have a cannon for an arm. He wasn't even incredibly accurate. He had an amazing opportunity at the perfect time in his career.

Let's recognize him for his timing, toughness, leadership, family values, scrapper mentality, intelligence, and community contributions but let's not pretend he was an elite quarterback by any measuring stick unrelated to fantasy football.

I don't think Gonzo's comments were unfair and I'm not even a fan of the man.

This

Rep to you.

Pioli Zombie
08-04-2009, 05:20 AM
And a Tight End shall lead them......uh-huh.
Posted via Mobile Device

MahiMike
08-04-2009, 07:28 AM
WTH? I'm so glad that guy is gone. NOBODY disses my Trent!

Molitoth
08-04-2009, 07:53 AM
I respect Tony's hands, but have never respected his mouth.

Brock
08-04-2009, 07:56 AM
Super Bowl Champion quarterback Trent Green?

Mr. Kotter
08-04-2009, 08:14 AM
Super Bowl Champion quarterback Trent Green?

He has a ring...heh.

Brock
08-04-2009, 08:15 AM
I doubt Trent Green considers himself a super bowl winning QB.

At any rate, Tony Gonzalez complaining about prima donnas is about as ironic as it gets.

Kerberos
08-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Former Kansas City Chief tight end Tony Gonzalez...noted that what he particularly likes about playing for the Falcons is "There are no other prima donnas I have to compete with."

Fixed it for Tony ;)

wutamess
08-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Uh... not to bash Trent Green but he had No arm and a lot of his yards were dumps to Priest Holmes for YAC.

bobbything
08-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Uh... not to bash Trent Green but he had No arm and a lot of his yards were dumps to Priest Holmes for YAC.
Warren Moon and Dan Fouts concur.

Blindside58
08-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Prima Donnas...Hmmmmm...Isn't Roddy White holding out? and....hmmmmm......I guess they don't have mirrors at the Falcons training camp facility?