PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Covitz: Major error mars Arrowhead’s upgrades

Tribal Warfare
08-15-2009, 09:57 PM
Major error mars Arrowhead’s upgrades (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1385615.html)

I had the opportunity to take a tour of the new Arrowhead Stadium on Thursday, and there’s a lot to like.

In fact, the $375 million renovation project, though still just 70 percent complete, is a lot cleaner and sleeker than the hodgepodge assault on the senses that is the renovated Kauffman Stadium.

Thankfully, there’s no merry-go-round or miniature golf course or eye-blurring signage. And the wide concourses, new concession stands, additional restrooms, club areas, party decks, the two football-shaped HD scoreboards, sound system, and the 860 flat-screen TVs all around the stadium are first-class amenities.

But I do have one nit to pick.

The Ring of Honor is gone. Those names and numbers in black lettering displaying the members of the Chiefs Hall of Fame have been taken off the stadium’s facade.

Now, the names of the 34 members of the Chiefs Hall of Fame will be flashed electronically on the ribbon boards during the course of the game. They’ll be seen periodically but not continuously.

Sorry, folks. Not good enough.

Part of the charm and ambience of sitting in the stands of Arrowhead is gazing around the stadium and remembering the heroes of the Chiefs’ past.

I can’t tell you how many players through the years have remarked to me how one day they wanted to see their names inscribed on the Ring of Honor alongside Len Dawson (below) and Buck Buchanan, Willie Lanier and Bobby Bell, Fred Arbanas and Otis Taylor …

You get my point.

Who’s going to notice the names flashing by like a stock-market ticker? You don’t take down the names of those who built the place.

Certainly, the new Hall of Honor that will open in 2010 will be a wonderful area to visit, complete with display cases, photos, bios, busts and historical writeups about each member of the Chiefs Hall of Fame.

And, even though the new Hall of Honor will be in a wide concourse and will be open during the week, I can’t see 70,000 fans cramming in there on game day.

I happened to visit the Royals’ new Hall of Fame between games of the twinight doubleheader against the Angels a few weeks ago. I enjoyed it, but I doubt whether I’ll visit it every time I attend a ballgame.

But it’s nice to see the Nos. 5, 10 and 20 on the wall whenever I’m at Kauffman Stadium.

Some things should not be tampered with.

Count Zarth
08-15-2009, 09:57 PM
repost, Teicher.

Tribal Warfare
08-15-2009, 09:58 PM
repost, Teicher.

link to the post thread, don't pull that shit unless you have proof

Count Zarth
08-15-2009, 10:02 PM
link to the post thread, don't pull that shit unless you have proof

Screw that. Screw you.

Tribal Warfare
08-15-2009, 10:10 PM
Screw that. Screw you.

other words you're full of shit

Count Zarth
08-15-2009, 10:10 PM
Nope. You're full of shit. THIS IS A REPOST.

Tribal Warfare
08-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Nope. You're full of shit. THIS IS A REPOST.

prove it, then I'll STFU

Reaper16
08-15-2009, 10:11 PM
This is indeed a repost.

Reaper16
08-15-2009, 10:13 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=211905

Count Zarth
08-15-2009, 10:13 PM
This is indeed a repost.

prove it, then I'll STFU

Sully
08-15-2009, 10:18 PM
I actually liked how they did the Ring of Honor.

I loved how the bowl of the stadium looked. I was disappointed, otherwise, though.

ChiefsOne
08-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Haven't seen the new digs, but if the ring is gone, that is a shame.

ArrowheadMagic
08-15-2009, 11:25 PM
Thats why they made a hall of fame ........ go look in the shiny new lot they put those names...pics and bios in. Stop bitching about something you never see. because most of you bitch about the price of tickets as it is. who cares where the names are? really... is it that big of a deal.