PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: The responsibility of being a head coach falls on Haley for first time

Tribal Warfare
08-16-2009, 02:50 AM
The responsibility of being a head coach falls on Haley for first time (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1385965.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Soaked and scowling, that couldn’t have been the way Todd Haley envisioned his first Arrowhead Stadium experience. He had preserved this night. Considered what it would be like. He’d stayed away from the stadium for six months, keeping one last milestone precious as he settled into his first job as an NFL head coach.

It was the third quarter Saturday night when the television cameras zoomed in on Haley. Rain had soaked his hat, and he looked toward the new Arrowhead scoreboard and saw that the Chiefs were on their way to another loss, this one a 16-10 preseason disappointment to Houston. Like it or not, this was how the Todd Haley era began.

“A chance to get my feet wet in a game situation,” Haley said, his clothes still damp but the intensity lifted. “It was all new, for sure.”

The coach said he hadn’t been nervous. Not as much as he’d thought, anyway. He said he tried distracting himself before he reached the stadium at 4:30 p.m. Then he met with his team in the locker room, and he told them to keep him out of trouble. Safety Bernard Pollard said that Haley asked his team to keep an eye on him, too.

“His biggest thing was: Don’t let him get a penalty as far as yelling at the refs,” Pollard said.

Emotion control hasn’t been Haley’s specialty. His training camp explosions have the Chiefs at attention, ears open and ready to run if they make a mistake. If a long snapper forgets to report for a special-teams drill, cover the kids’ ears. If a wide receiver loafs during a route-running drill, consider a mental therapy gift card as a stocking stuffer. The plan is to get the Chiefs’ minds right before their bodies make those plays feel almost natural. Saturday night was proof that Kansas City isn’t there yet, and Haley didn’t duck criticism.

“It’s a special feeling when it’s your team,” he said. “A lot of responsibility comes with that, and tonight I didn’t live up to that end of it. That’s the part that’s got to change.”

Haley said there are several things he’ll have to get used to. He was a longtime assistant, and he admitted Saturday that there are aspects to a head coach’s job that he hadn’t considered. Discussing things with referees before the game, and, maybe more challenging to the fiery 42-year-old, keeping things cool with the officials during the game.

“There were a lot of things that came up,” Haley said, “and a lot of things that you are not privy to as an assistant, you know, that you’re not even aware that happens until you’re the head guy. All of a sudden, you’re learning this other side.”

As much as Haley had going on, including the weather and a nauseating first three quarters, he didn’t bother himself with wrestling play-calling duties from offensive coordinator Chan Gailey. Haley admitted being tempted during last week’s scrimmage, but he let Gailey do his thing Saturday.

“There was enough to worry about,” Haley said.

So Haley watched and absorbed the experience, from the chaotic to the encouraging. Tyler Thigpen leading an unorthodox but effective scoring drive might not have been new to the crowd inside Arrowhead, but it was new to Haley. Thigpen said the coach didn’t behave as if everything was new to him.

“You can’t come into a game as your first time,” Thigpen said, “(and) show the other guys that you’re wide-eyed or whatever. I think he did a really good job of keeping his composure in the situations that came up.

“It’s his first time. It’s his first rodeo, and I think he’s doing well. There are some kinks we’ve got to work out as a team, but for the most part, he’s holding us responsible for the little things. I’ve enjoyed that so far. I think that’s what this team needs.”

ClevelandBronco
08-16-2009, 03:19 AM
I wish Haley all the luck and the skill in the world.

I'd love to have the Broncos and Chiefs hate each other again because they're both contenders.

LaChapelle
08-16-2009, 08:32 AM
There was a good shot of him after the Savage fumble. Watching the jumbotron, hand ready to throw out the flag, chanting come on, come on(replay the fumble).

In the second half they showed him walking the sideline looking lost. Hey, somebody come talk to me so I have something to do here.

Buehler445
08-16-2009, 08:50 AM
I wish Haley all the luck and the skill in the world.

I'd love to have the Broncos and Chiefs hate each other again because the Chiefs won't take their foot off the gas despite being up by 50.

Fixed :D

CoMoChief
08-16-2009, 09:56 AM
Off topic:

How many INT's will Flowers and Co. have against Cpt. Neck Beard?

TrickyNicky
08-16-2009, 07:46 PM
In the second half they showed him walking the sideline looking lost. Hey, somebody come talk to me so I have something to do here.

I noticed that too. Hopefully its just because our scrubs were out there.

Buehler445
08-16-2009, 08:10 PM
Off topic:

How many INT's will Flowers and Co. have against Cpt. Neck Beard?

I'm hoping at least 10

GoHuge
08-16-2009, 09:07 PM
I will say it's not too tough to read his lips. The censors are going to have to find a way to not be really zoomed in during a meltdown. I love the guy.