PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Magee> Jackson, Dorsey

B_Ambuehl
08-16-2009, 12:58 PM
At least last night, and it's not a difficult evaluation at all. Go back and watch every snap of the d-line if you don't believe me. He played with the starters on 3rd down and stood out the entire night regardless of where he lined up or who he played with.

He's big and quick and perfect for what they're asking him to do.

Buehler445
08-16-2009, 12:58 PM
ROFL

Dude. 2nd and 3rd Stringers.

Mr. Arrowhead
08-16-2009, 12:59 PM
I thought Jackson looked like a beast

B_Ambuehl
08-16-2009, 01:00 PM
He played quite a bit with the starters too.

TheGuardian
08-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Dorsey played VERY WELL last night, even Baldy commented on it. Jackson played well too but when it was 1 v's 1 Dorsey was the best down lineman last night easily. This scheme very much looks like he should be able to thrive in it.

PGM
08-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Dorsey looked pretty damn good last night. Magee and Jackson played well for rooks as well.

GoHuge
08-16-2009, 01:36 PM
I was happy as hell with the first series, but it's still a learning process. I saw what I needed to, and it made me warm in the naughty bits. Still some thinking going on, but you could see what they're capable of. Pretty excited.

cdcox
08-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Dorsey, Jackson and McGee were all active and creating problems. My conclusion is that if we get a space eater at NT, we should be set on the DL for a decade.

chiefbowe82
08-16-2009, 01:44 PM
ron edwards and alphonso boone are our starters

bringbackmarty
08-16-2009, 01:45 PM
Homers.
I don't know if we were watching the same game. I saw decent play the first series, but then I saw Dorsey eating ass on more than a couple of plays the second series. It was okay, mediocre starting point IMO.

chiefbowe82
08-16-2009, 01:48 PM
the o line got their ass kicked the secondary got their ass kicked the d-line got their ass kicked, the wrs sucked, the lbs did ok. not much positive

mlyonsd
08-16-2009, 01:53 PM
The defense looked to me like they had a different attitude.

The offense looked behind schedule but was so vanilla I'm not sure we should have expected much.

And it was nice to see a HC on the sideline without a stupid blank stare on his face.

talastan
08-16-2009, 02:07 PM
The defense looked to me like they had a different attitude.

The offense looked behind schedule but was so vanilla I'm not sure we should have expected much.

And it was nice to see a HC on the sideline without a stupid blank stare on his face.

There were a couple of times that Haley's look was just plain scary. As in, "That guy just lost his job!", type of scary. I love it!! :D

boogblaster
08-16-2009, 02:12 PM
The D-line looked aggressive but still not reg. season ready ..

B_Ambuehl
08-16-2009, 02:14 PM
Homers.
I don't know if we were watching the same game. I saw decent play the first series, but then I saw Dorsey eating ass on more than a couple of plays the second series.

You are correct. He can probably still be a decent starter, but it's becoming increasingly evident that Dorsey was misevaluated by most of the NFL. He has trouble getting leverage.

ChiefaRoo
08-16-2009, 02:15 PM
Ron Edwards sucks. He can't hold the LOS after the snap and gets NO push. Just a terrible NT.

Mecca
08-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Ron Edwards as a nose is going to be a painful experience to watch all year.

ChiefaRoo
08-16-2009, 02:29 PM

Yep, it's painful to watch him get shoved off the LOS. He can't play low enough and can't plug the middle by keeping his shoulders square to the LOS. He f**ks up the LB's running lanes by getting shoved back so far.

Buehler445
08-16-2009, 02:29 PM

Truth.

Ron Edwards couldn't even get any push in the 4-3.

L.A. Chieffan
08-16-2009, 02:30 PM
we were fucking playing the houston fucking texans in the first fucking preseason fucking game.

Mecca
08-16-2009, 02:30 PM
I suspect after next years draft the Chiefs are going to have about 150 million dollars of DL.

PGM
08-16-2009, 02:32 PM

I agree. What did you think of Dorsey?

Mecca
08-16-2009, 02:33 PM
I agree. What did you think of Dorsey?

I think he did solid, Jackson and Magee were alot more pronounced and noticeable though.

The problem is Edwards as a nose is so ineffective he's going to make everyone else look worse. All Houston had to do was run up the middle and they got big gains.

ChiefaRoo
08-16-2009, 02:35 PM
KC's D needs a stud MLB with an attitude.

O line needs a new Center and RT as well. They need to find a late round G too. That guy from Clemson, Richardson? can't play.

ChiefaRoo
08-16-2009, 02:36 PM
I think he did solid, Jackson and Magee were alot more pronounced and noticeable though.

The problem is Edwards as a nose is so ineffective he's going to make everyone else look worse. All Houston had to do was run up the middle and they got big gains.

Totally agree.

cdcox
08-16-2009, 02:43 PM

Edwards is going to make the whole line look bad all year. He was getting pushed around by one guy on most plays, so the DE were seeing double teams.

But even with Edwards, the LB were mostly running free. That's why the likes of Hali, Studebaker, and Mays were able to run around and make plays. That's a pretty good indication that the DL is doing its job in the 3-4. You put a legitimate NT in there and the DL is going to be fine.

Hali wasn't effective defending the run at the POA, getting beat 1-on-1 on two consecutive runs on the Texan's first scoring drive. That is another concern that will tend to make the DL look bad.

Mecca
08-16-2009, 02:46 PM
After that game I still see teams doing the same things I thought when I saw what the defense would be the first time..

Attacking Edwards and Hali repeatedly.

ChiefaRoo
08-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Edwards is going to make the whole line look bad all year. He was getting pushed around by one guy on most plays, so the DE were seeing double teams.

But even with Edwards, the LB were mostly running free. That's why the likes of Hali, Studebaker, and Mays were able to run around and make plays. That's a pretty good indication that the DL is doing its job in the 3-4. You put a legitimate NT in there and the DL is going to be fine.

Hali wasn't effective defending the run at the POA, getting beat 1-on-1 on two consecutive runs on the Texan's first scoring drive. That is another concern that will tend to make the DL look bad.

I agree, Hali is a situational pass rusher IMO right now. He has to learn to play the run angles. He's way too wide and he falls for it everytime. He can improve but it's going to take some work. If he doesn't I don't see him getting more than 5-10 plays a game in the years to come as a situational rusher.

Mecca
08-16-2009, 02:50 PM
They might aswell just leave Hali out there and see if he gets it or not. The team isn't going to win anything this year and they have no one else to play. See if he can sink or swim if he sinks replace him after the year.

BCD
08-16-2009, 03:25 PM
Please CUT Edwards NOW!

RedThat
08-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Lets call Ted Washington out of retirement.

milkman
08-16-2009, 03:33 PM
As I said elsewhere, I focused solely on the play of Dorsey and Edwards when I watched the game.

I never looked at anything else going on in the game, and anyone who thinks that Dorsey didn't do his job, and do it very well is a complete fucking idiot.

Tribal Warfare
08-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Lets call Ted Washington out of retirement.

Let's just bribe Terrence Cody to bypass the draft and sign as a rookie FA right now.

cdcox
08-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Let's just bribe Terrence Cody to bypass the draft and sign as a rookie FA right now.

Haley would love to have him just so he could brag about how much weight he made him lose. That is a seriously big man.

Reaper16
08-16-2009, 03:42 PM
Kent Babb was giving out letter grades via Twitter this morning, and he gave Dorsey, Tyson Jackson, and Magee each grades of "D."

I really don't think that Babb knows very much about football. Just about every time he expresses his personal opinion or gives some kind of commentary, I cringe.

RedThat
08-16-2009, 03:42 PM
Haley would love to have him just so he could brag about how much weight he made him lose. That is a seriously big man.

I just clipped him on youtube, dude is 380:eek:

RedThat
08-16-2009, 03:44 PM
i don't think we need to worry about Ron Edwards anyway?

he'll prolly lose his job during the season. My bet is Tank takes the NT job during the course of the season.

Mecca
08-16-2009, 03:46 PM
Kent Babb was giving out letter grades via Twitter this morning, and he gave Dorsey, Tyson Jackson, and Magee each grades of "D."

I really don't think that Babb knows very much about football. Just about every time he expresses his personal opinion or gives some kind of commentary, I cringe.

General fan will go with what he says, of course posting on a forum like this makes us not the general fan.

Basically Houston was running the ball and there wasn't a whole lot of pressure so he can give all the lineman shit grades and casual fan will figure that is spot on.

keg in kc
08-16-2009, 03:46 PM
I thought the entire front seven played pretty well the first three series. The scoring drive didn't bother me too much, it was the kind of drive that's going to happen once or twice pretty much every game; the Texans called plays that worked against what we'd called. Just luck of the draw. Or the screen. (groan)

When he made it in, Jackson looked real good for the first time I'd seen him. Dorsey looked good as well. I don't know how much of the scheme we actually saw, but it sure looked to me like what they were doing fit the skills of the guys playing. A lot of people were in position to make plays, there was a lot of gang-tackling at the point of attack, and not a lot of 'aw shit, if pollard/page misses this it's 6'.

Basically I saw what I expected to see this season. Yes, there are a couple of players we'd love to replace in a perfect world, but that is a talented group of guys, and I think they have the horses to be a decent unit. They may struggle at times with the scheme change, especially early, and you can't take too much out of a preseason game, especially the first one - remember a year ago, when we beat the Bears 24-20? - but I think the defense may be better than people expect, especially later in the year.

And then there's the offense.

Ultra Peanut
08-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Nose tackle is kiiiind of an important position, and without that games are going to be painful to watch. But the ends could end up being pretty okay.

Mr. Krab
08-16-2009, 03:53 PM
I was surprised at our Dline, they played better than i expected.

chiefsfan1963
08-16-2009, 03:54 PM
Looking forward to 2010 season. We should win 4 or 5 games this year. We will have an excellent 2010 draft with a top 10 and 2 2nd picks. Fun to watch their development.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chocolate Hog
08-16-2009, 04:20 PM
I see someone didn't watch the game

Chiefshrink
08-16-2009, 05:25 PM
If there was one difference I saw last night with the D was they actually looked aggressive and the D-line was not getting pushed back and actually was penetrating most of the time.

ChiefMojo
08-16-2009, 05:36 PM
I thought the DL as a whole unit did pretty good. Most notably the DE's! I don't know what in the effing world Babb was watching?

TheGuardian
08-16-2009, 05:43 PM
As I said elsewhere, I focused solely on the play of Dorsey and Edwards when I watched the game.

I never looked at anything else going on in the game, and anyone who thinks that Dorsey didn't do his job, and do it very well is a complete ****ing idiot.

Pretty much.

BCD
08-16-2009, 05:48 PM
I see someone didn't watch the gameBlah blah blah, yeah Dorsey is a bust...

CupidStunt
08-16-2009, 05:54 PM

Kent Babb doesn't know the first thing about football. He's a columnist/blogger, no more.

-King-
08-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Kent Babb doesn't know the first thing about football. He's a columnist/blogger, no more.

God can you imagine next year having a line of Jackson - Cody - Dorsey?

That would be a line to jizz about :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Bwana
08-16-2009, 06:44 PM
Good Gawd!

Is this someone "special" start a thread day around here or what?

Fuck oh dear!

aturnis
08-16-2009, 07:14 PM
Didn't get to watch the game here in Iowa. Apparently preseason games aren't carried on NFL Network? Can anyone tell me how Tank Tyler looked at NT?

cdcox
08-16-2009, 07:19 PM
Didn't get to watch the game here in Iowa. Apparently preseason games aren't carried on NFL Network? Can anyone tell me how Tank Tyler looked at NT?

It was rebroadcast on NFL-Network at 10:00 EDT this morning. Just a second and I'll dig up Milkman's post on this (he was watching line play intently).

Here it is:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=5977037&postcount=87

WildTurkey
08-16-2009, 07:21 PM
I'm not sure where you at in Iowa but in the Des Moines area where I live KCWI Channel 23 shows the Chiefs preseason games

Coogs
08-16-2009, 07:49 PM
At least last night, and it's not a difficult evaluation at all. Go back and watch every snap of the d-line if you don't believe me. He played with the starters on 3rd down and stood out the entire night regardless of where he lined up or who he played with.

He's big and quick and perfect for what they're asking him to do.

I just finished re-watching the 1st half. And I re-wound nearly every single defensive play three or four times to focus on each player along the line. And I have to say I am much more impressed with our defensive front than I have been in quite some time.

On nearly every single long yardage situation... including all three plays in the first and 21 set of downs that the Texans got a first down on the horse collar tackle during ther TD drive... for the Texans (except maybe one), we were in a 2-4-5 alingment. Even in a 3rd and goal situation from the 5. And in the majority of those situations, Jackson and McGee were the two d-linemen.

Pretty good outing IMO for the first time out in a new defensive system. Lots to build on.

Chiefnj2
08-16-2009, 08:02 PM
I just finished re-watching the 1st half. And I re-wound nearly every single defensive play three or four times to focus on each player along the line. And I have to say I am much more impressed with our defensive front than I have been in quite some time.

On nearly every single long yardage situation... including all three plays in the first and 21 set of downs that the Texans got a first down on the horse collar tackle during ther TD drive... for the Texans (except maybe one), we were in a 2-4-5 alingment. Even in a 3rd and goal situation from the 5. And in the majority of those situations, Jackson and McGee were the two d-linemen.

Pretty good outing IMO for the first time out in a new defensive system. Lots to build on.

I thought the Texans routinely picked up nice yardage against the 2-4-5.

Chocolate Hog
08-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Blah blah blah, yeah Dorsey is a bust...

Get over it fag

Coogs
08-16-2009, 08:20 PM
I thought the Texans routinely picked up nice yardage against the 2-4-5.

They made some yardage, but I believe the only 1st down they converted was the screen that McGee was called for the horse collar tackle. The sack by Leggett also came out of the 2-4-5 set.

CHIEFS58
08-16-2009, 08:22 PM
everyone needs to chill. its PRESEASON.

the Talking Can
08-16-2009, 08:25 PM
everyone needs to chill. its PRESEASON.

did you even bother to read the thread?

Coogs
08-16-2009, 08:27 PM
did you even bother to read the thread?

I'm guessing that would be a no!

soundmind
08-16-2009, 08:35 PM
I think I watched the same game...

I was specifically watching the front 7, and for the first time in a long time I saw linebackers playing downhill...I must have rewound that first series 6 times I was so happy. The DLine specifically looked okay/good against my expectations. There were two plays I saw Jackson chasing what must have been a firefly, and to mirror the rest of the thread - Edwards' play was deplorable. Outside that though, they looked pretty damn good I thought. Jackson, Dorsey, Magee, Johnson and Hali were all in impact positions routinely.

Lots of work left, but for the first preseason game after this kind of overhaul....optimistic thumbs up.

:thumb:

Manila-Chief
08-16-2009, 09:06 PM

It is scheduled to be on NFLN again in the morning at 6:00 a.m. CDT.

I thought the entire front seven played pretty well the first three series. The scoring drive didn't bother me too much, it was the kind of drive that's going to happen once or twice pretty much every game; the Texans called plays that worked against what we'd called. Just luck of the draw. Or the screen. (groan)

When he made it in, Jackson looked real good for the first time I'd seen him. Dorsey looked good as well. I don't know how much of the scheme we actually saw, but it sure looked to me like what they were doing fit the skills of the guys playing. A lot of people were in position to make plays, there was a lot of gang-tackling at the point of attack, and not a lot of 'aw shit, if pollard/page misses this it's 6'.

Basically I saw what I expected to see this season. Yes, there are a couple of players we'd love to replace in a perfect world, but that is a talented group of guys, and I think they have the horses to be a decent unit. They may struggle at times with the scheme change, especially early, and you can't take too much out of a preseason game, especially the first one - remember a year ago, when we beat the Bears 24-20? - but I think the defense may be better than people expect, especially later in the year.

And then there's the offense.

Last night I only got to listen to the radio via the internet and was late getting it to connect. The whole team sounded really bad and I thought ... maybe Herm did alright with the talent he had.

But, I recorded the game this A.M. on NFLN and watched it after church. Considering this was a "first time" game in so many ways ... I thought it was not too bad. The first team D did good except for the TD drive and as Keg said ... that will happen (even to the best D teams). I did see Hali get sucked into the interior at least a couple of times and allowed a RB to get outside. But, that is coachable. In fact ... I believe this coaching staff will use the game to improve the team ... especially the D. Also, the coaches were not calling plays for the purpose of stopping the other the other team ... they were "practicing" the plays/schemes to teach the D. When they start playing with live bullets, there will be a game plan, the players will have 4 preseason games of experience in the 3-4, and will do a better job. There were times when they look fantastic.

Offense? Not as bad as it sounded on the radio. Cassel will get better.

Special teams ... we really do need a "Dante" back there. No returner looked good to me. Punter ... enough said! Kicker ... we just may ... notice I said "MAY" ... coz we've been down this road before ... but maybe we have something special in the kicker??? A 48 yard FG with a wet, heavy ball that he kicked. It looked like he was getting the ball into the end zone on kick offs???

aturnis
08-16-2009, 09:49 PM
I'm not sure where you at in Iowa but in the Des Moines area where I live KCWI Channel 23 shows the Chiefs preseason games

Cedar Rapids. Is that a CBS affiliate?

chubychecker
08-16-2009, 10:05 PM
Funny..... Not much talk about the offense. QB's looked so/so. Problem is they all looked as good as the next one. Left side of the line looked ok. RB's looked like shit outside of savage who had a couple of good effort plays against the backups. Bowe and Bradley looked ok. Did engram or toomer even play?

aturnis
08-16-2009, 10:09 PM
Engram did, Toomer didn't.

I'm thinking Cassel will look much better with Bowe, Bradley and whoever #3 will be to throw to.

-aturnis

not so sure Haley isn't trying to light a fire under Bradley's ass too...

TRR
08-16-2009, 10:32 PM
Re-watching again, both Ron Edwards and Boone struggled terribly. Watching Tank Tyler at NT was refreshing...he's just so much more active than Edwards. I do however, really like our mix of DL's in Dorsey, Jackson, McGee and Tyler. Those four really go hard, and rarely took a play off in the 1st Preseason game.

Also...our QB's missed a lot of opportunites for some big plays. I also hope we focus on checking down to our RB's out of the backfield because they were open a lot, and never looked at...be it Cassel, Croyle, or Thigpen.
Posted via Mobile Device

keg in kc
08-16-2009, 10:38 PM
Engram did, Toomer didn't.

I'm thinking Cassel will look much better with Bowe, Bradley and whoever #3 will be to throw to.

-aturnis

not so sure Haley isn't trying to light a fire under Bradley's ass too...I'd be surprised if our starters aren't Bowe, Toomer and Bradley.

cdcox
08-16-2009, 10:47 PM
I also hope we focus on checking down to our RB's out of the backfield because they were open a lot, and never looked at...be it Cassel, Croyle, or Thigpen.
Posted via Mobile Device

That isn't going to be a priority in this offense. Arizonal targeted 75% of their passes to WRs last year, which is incredibly high. In comparison, Indianapolis only targeted 56% of their passes to WR. We need another 1000-yard WR before this passing attack starts to reflect Haley's vision. And a TE doesn't count (hence Gonzo became very disposable).

Charles is a good option as a receiver, so I think he'll get involved in the passing game, but as for the rest of the backs, I don't see it.

kcchiefsus
08-17-2009, 02:19 AM
That isn't going to be a priority in this offense. Arizonal targeted 75% of their passes to WRs last year, which is incredibly high. In comparison, Indianapolis only targeted 56% of their passes to WR. We need another 1000-yard WR before this passing attack starts to reflect Haley's vision. And a TE doesn't count (hence Gonzo became very disposable).

Charles is a good option as a receiver, so I think he'll get involved in the passing game, but as for the rest of the backs, I don't see it.

That's fine, although in my opinion you should form the offense around the players you have, not the other way around. If you have a talent like Tony Gonzalez you find a way to utilize him.

WildTurkey
08-17-2009, 06:39 AM
Cedar Rapids. Is that a CBS affiliate?

It's the CW or formerly the WB, I'm not sure if it broadcasts out there in Cedar Rapids or not... I think it's just central Iowa

http://www.kcwi23.com/

HemiEd
08-17-2009, 07:36 AM

Amen to that, if gives a nice feeling to think the guy might actually know what is going on. I am betting the players will like that as well.

Buehler445
08-17-2009, 07:47 AM

I understand where you're coming from, but I really doubt Haley looks at film and says, "wow, the backs are REALLY open. Fuck it. Throw it to Bowe.". If it's there and the guy can catch, I inagine some balls will go that way.

It is good we are getting away fom the captain checkdown offense though.
Posted via Mobile Device

SenselessChiefsFan
08-17-2009, 08:44 AM
Perhaps it is that I was expecting the Chiefs to be attrocious after listening to the game on Saturday night. But, I watched the game for the first time last night. A couple of things stood out to me.

#1) The defensive line played well. The starters and backups for all three positions played well. They got beat on occaision, but they were not dominated at any point.

#2) On the scoring drive, I felt like the 'horse collar' penalty was questionable at best. I know holding happens on every play, but the play that the OT hooked Hali around the neck that sprung Brown for a big gain down inside the five was ridiculous. That said, Hali got too far inside and should have played his responsibilities better.

Overall though, I was encouraged by the front seven.

But, again, I expected the worst of the worst, so perhaps just being bad was such a surprise that it seemed good.

It is all relative.