PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs State of the rebuild

cdcox
08-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Assuming guys like Cassel, Dorsey, and Jackson work out, and that we don't worry about replacing adequate players like Page and Pollard here are the positions that it looks like we need to add over the next couple seasons:

1) WR
2) 2 OL, preferably 3
3) NT
4) probably 3 LB
5) probably a RB

Still need to upgrade at least 1/3 of our starters.

Count Zarth
08-16-2009, 03:04 PM
WHAT?? You're telling me we don't need an All-Pro tight end?

cdcox
08-16-2009, 03:06 PM
WHAT?? You're telling me we don't need an All-Pro tight end?

Haley doesn't use TE very much. I almost listed another WR, but figured Bradley could at least be a decent 3rd WR.

RedThat
08-16-2009, 03:11 PM
Assuming guys like Cassel, Dorsey, and Jackson work out, and that we don't worry about replacing adequate players like Page and Pollard here are the positions that it looks like we need to add over the next couple seasons:

1) WR
2) 2 OL, preferably 3
3) NT
4) probably 3 LB
5) probably a RB

Thats half a defense right there.

Reaper16
08-16-2009, 03:11 PM
Is that list ordered? Because I'd put NT at #1.

CupidStunt
08-16-2009, 03:13 PM
Ground zero. Glaring need(s) at NT, at least one OLB, more than likely an ILB, WR, TE, C, RG, RT. That, as you mentioned, also assumes a fair amount. Although I feel between Magee and Dorsey that one will be adequate, if not both and/or more.

cdcox
08-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Is that list ordered? Because I'd put NT at #1.

No, not ordered. All of them are either huge issues now, or will be within a season or two.

Reaper16
08-16-2009, 03:15 PM
If the team had a true 3-4 Nose Tackle, then I think their linebackers would suddenly look a whole lot better.

mlyonsd
08-16-2009, 03:17 PM
If the team had a true 3-4 Nose Tackle, then I think their linebackers would suddenly look a whole lot better.

Yup.

cdcox
08-16-2009, 03:19 PM

The Vrabel and Thomas are reeeallly old. Maybe Mays and Studebaker are studs, but I see them more as depth than starters. But yeah, I'd put the NT before anything else on D.

Reaper16
08-16-2009, 03:20 PM
The Vrabel and Thomas are reeeallly old. Maybe Mays and Studebaker are studs, but I see them more as depth than starters. But yeah, I'd put the NT before anything else on D.
Sure. I'm certainly not saying that the Chiefs would be set and could stop looking for improvements at LB.

Rain Man
08-16-2009, 03:50 PM
I agree in general, but in terms of priority I'd go with:

1. WR
2. ILB
3. NT (but these are rare enough that you get one first if you find one)
4. OLB
5. RT
6. TE
7. C
8. SS

MoreLemonPledge
08-16-2009, 03:53 PM
I agree in general, but in terms of priority I'd go with:

1. WR
2. ILB
3. NT (but these are rare enough that you get one first if you find one)
4. OLB
5. RT
6. TE
7. C
8. SS

I really don't find our ILB spot to be that needy. Yes, Zach Thomas is a stopgap, but DJ is decent and Mays actually showed a lot of promise in last night's game. Our depth could use some work, but NT is a much bigger need.

googlegoogle
08-16-2009, 03:55 PM
This D has been FIXED.

bows down to Pioli and Haley.

Mr. Krab
08-16-2009, 03:58 PM
It's still to early on the learning curve to make any concrete judgments.

cdcox
08-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Prioritizing, I'd go with:

1. NT
2. WR
3. RT
4. OLB (pass rusher)
5. Some kind of interior OL
6. ILB
7. anybody that can play at WR, RB, LB, OL, S

Again, I don't think a stud TE is going to be very important to this offense.

Gonzo
What he said...
Posted via Mobile Device

Mecca
Isn't Derrick Johnson on the last year of his contract?

cdcox

Edwards should be pouring concrete driveways.

TEX
08-16-2009, 04:02 PM

1) WR
2) 2 OL, preferably 3
3) NT
4) probably 3 LB
5) probably a RB

At least - And Herm said we were 85% there before the additions this year. LOL!

BigVE
08-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Ground zero. Glaring need(s) at NT, at least one OLB, more than likely an ILB, WR, TE, C, RG, RT. That, as you mentioned, also assumes a fair amount. Although I feel between Magee and Dorsey that one will be adequate, if not both and/or more.

So, looking back, were there NOT any good NT's in the draft? Raji?

Mecca
08-16-2009, 04:10 PM
So, looking back, were there NOT any good NT's in the draft? Raji?

Ron Brace...

Mr. Krab
08-16-2009, 04:10 PM
So, looking back, were there NOT any good NT's in the draft? Raji?Apparently Pioli didn't think Raji was anything special or he would of jumped at the chance to get the crucial NT piece for his new 3-4 defense.

Ebolapox
08-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Isn't Derrick Johnson on the last year of his contract?

I think so. if he has even a moderately good year, he's getting resigned. we have the cap room and he's still relatively young.

Tribal Warfare
08-16-2009, 05:07 PM
NT
WR
Rushbackers
RT

GoHuge
08-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Hasn't the D-Line been making the line backers look shitty for about ten years now?

ChiefMojo
08-16-2009, 05:32 PM
What I have noticed first and foremost is the depth on both sides of the ball is improving... most notably on the defensive side of the ball. I think the depth on the defense is going to make it that much better this year to majorly upgrading this unit. We have a good mix of youth and vets. Guys like Zack and Mike aren't spring chickens at LB, but the likes of Beisel, Mayes, etc. are going to make things much easier as a whole.

This team still has a lot of work to do, but I can honestly see a major improvement to the sqaud. Sure NT is a major need in the next draft, but I still think WR should be the first pick.

Buehler445
08-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Depth. Everywhere. Except maybe RB.

KevB
08-16-2009, 05:42 PM
Give me Dez Bryant or Brandon Spikes next year and I'll be happy.

I reserve the right to completely change my mind once the season actually starts.

Skip Towne
08-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Give me Dez Bryant or Brandon Spikes next year and I'll be happy.

I reserve the right to completely change my mind once the season actually starts.

If we can't get Bryant, I'd be OK with that other Dez (Briscoe) from Kansas. He's a Junior but will probably declare.

stevieray
08-16-2009, 06:55 PM
IMO, the evaluation has only just begun. To me, how they play the last half of the season will be more indicitive of where we stand going forward.

the Talking Can
08-16-2009, 07:07 PM
1. NT/ pass rushing OLB/RT
2. #2 WR
3. RG/C/LB
4. #3 WR
5. TE
6. Safety

Buehler445
08-16-2009, 07:11 PM
IMO, the evaluation has only just begun. To me, how they play the last half of the season will be more indicitive of where we stand going forward.

Even the last 4 games....

aturnis
08-16-2009, 08:37 PM
If the value is there, I see our first three draft picks needing to be, in no particular order:

NT - Unless Tank steps up, and become great, there's no way around it.

Pass rushing OLB - Vrabel is a stop gap, and I haven't heard any shining statements about his play last night. So he must not have been much of a force. We don't have anyone waiting in the ranks that I know of, so it is a must.

WR - Cassel and Bowe need help out there in a bad way. Even if we grab a guy in FA, this is still a glaring need.

No way around it, unless we find WR's elsewhere, this unit NEEDS help. Oline can be found plentiful in FA and in round 3-7.

Cassel and LJ could use some help from the Oline, no doubt. The team needs to find 4 new starters in the next 2 offseasons. Waters and Goff might be good at what they do, but don't have a lot left. The Chiefs own the oldest starting Guard tandem in the NFL, not good. Throw in the need for a new center and RT and it only looks worse. Hopefully there are a few answers already on the team. Such as Herb Taylor as heir to Brian Waters's throne at LG. I hope some of the other guys can work, I don't have much hope for Barry Richardson, maybe Colin Brown can buck the trend of bad drafting for the Oline positions.

DaneMcCloud
08-16-2009, 08:47 PM
Such as Herb Taylor as heir to Brian Waters's throne at LG. I hope some of the other guys can work, I don't have much hope for Barry Richardson, maybe Colin Brown can buck the trend of bad drafting for the Oline positions.

Herb Taylor isn't strong enough to be a left guard. The Chiefs have been flip-flopping him from left tackle to right tackle in order to find a place for him. He's better suited on the left side but Albert's got that position.

Colin Brown will be okay at right guard. He played pretty well last night in front of Croyle. I didn't see much (if any) drop off between he and Goff.

The biggest issue facing the offensive line right now is center and right tackle. ScIntosh is awful and can't hold his blocks. Taylor didn't look much better on the right side and surprisingly, the Chiefs had Richardson flip-flopping from left to right.

I was actually most impressed with college free agent #66, Daryl Harris. I think he's got a future at the left guard spot, although it's hard to say after just one preseason game.

But I liked what I saw.

Raised On Riots
08-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Super glue, and lots of it.

Bugeater
08-16-2009, 08:55 PM
Damn, I saw the thread title and thought this was going to be another epic bathroom update.

RippedmyFlesh
08-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Herb Taylor isn't strong enough to be a left guard. The Chiefs have been flip-flopping him from left tackle to right tackle in order to find a place for him. He's better suited on the left side but Albert's got that position.

Colin Brown will be okay at right guard. He played pretty well last night in front of Croyle. I didn't see much (if any) drop off between he and Goff.

The biggest issue facing the offensive line right now is center and right tackle. ScIntosh is awful and can't hold his blocks. Taylor didn't look much better on the right side and surprisingly, the Chiefs had Richardson flip-flopping from left to right.

I was actually most impressed with college free agent #66, Daryl Harris. I think he's got a future at the left guard spot, although it's hard to say after just one preseason game.

But I liked what I saw.

The oline looked better. 37 passes and 1 sack. When was the last time kc got more sacks than they gave up? Seemed like never last year.