PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Congressman admits he will vote against his constituents..

petegz28
08-17-2009, 02:35 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IXWmVBadWvU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IXWmVBadWvU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Representative Eric Massa (D- NY) addressed an intimate group of Netroots activists during their annual Netroots Nation gathering in Pittsburgh this weekend. Mr. Massa reiterated his support for a single payer health care bill. He discussed the risks he takes for wanting to support such a measure in his "right wing Republican district."

According to Swing State Project, Mr. Massa won his 2008 race by two percentage points. The district's voting pattern index (PVI) is a Republican +5 seat. The National Republican Congressional Committee has the upstate New York congressman in their sights for 2010 along with 69 other House Democrats as reported by Politico. The transcript is below, and check out the corresponding video above.

MASSA: Iím not going to vote for 3200 as itís currently written. Step one, I will vote for a single payer option or a bill that does have a medicare coupled public option, which we donít have right now. If my town hall meetings turn into the same media frenzies and ridiculousness, because every time that happens we lose, We lose another three million people in America. They see that happening and negate us.

PARTICIPANT: It changes America.

MASSA: Every time that occurs. So what happens in my town hall meetings frankly is important, because I am in one of the most right wing Republican districts in the country, and Iím not asking you guys to go back to wherever and send people to me. This is a generic statement of what can I do? Well thatís one thing we can do.

PARTICIPANT: So if we got your meetings to sixty forty, youíd voteÖand there was single payer in a bill you would vote for it?

MASSA: Oh absolutely I would vote for single payer.

PARTICIPANT: If there was sixty forty sentiment in the room?

MASSA: Listen, I tell every audience Iím in favor of single payer.

PARTICIPANT: If there was eighty twenty in the room?

MASSA: If there was a single payer bill?

PARTICIPANT: And there was a single payerÖ.

MASSA: I will vote for the single payer bill.

PARTICIPANT: Even if it meant you were being voted out of office?

MASSA: I will vote adamantly against the interests of my district if I actually think what I am doing is going to be helpful.

(inaudible participants' comments regarding the "interests" of the district statement from Mr. Massa)

Massa: I will vote against their opinion if I actually believe it will help them.

petegz28
08-17-2009, 02:36 PM
Classic example of how the Dems and Congress in general think they always know better than you.

petegz28
08-17-2009, 02:41 PM
And again....the "single payer" snake pops up.....

The Dems can't hide the fact they want single payer.

Rain Man
08-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Gotta be honest, but this is the way the system is supposed to work. He's their representative, which means that they voted him in and then he uses his judgment. A congressman who always follows the majority of his district isn't doing his job, because sometimes the majority won't want what's best for the country as a whole.

petegz28
08-17-2009, 02:52 PM
Gotta be honest, but this is the way the system is supposed to work. He's their representative, which means that they voted him in and then he uses his judgment. A congressman who always follows the majority of his district isn't doing his job, because sometimes the majority won't want what's best for the country as a whole.

I tend to disagree with that in part. He is their Representative. Not their Noble.

Donger
08-17-2009, 02:52 PM

Indeed. "I don't claim to be a man of the people, but I do try to be a man for the people."

That's how I'll rule when I'm elected.

Reaper16
08-17-2009, 03:01 PM
It doesn't matter. There is no way in Hell that Massa will get a chance to vote for single-payer.

KC Dan
08-17-2009, 03:07 PM
It doesn't matter. There is no way in Hell that Massa will get a chance to vote for single-payer.Yes, but will he vote against a bill that is missing that?

DJ's left nut
08-17-2009, 03:44 PM
I tend to disagree with that in part. He is their Representative. Not their Noble.

It's a difference in philosphy, really.

Some politicians see themselves as simply the voice of their consitutency, others as trustees.

I would be inclined to agree with him and slide towards the 'trustee' model. They voted for the man because they trusted his judgment as it was relayed to them.

If a Congressman does a 180 (I'm looking at you, Spectre), then I think he's failed his Constituency. If, however, he's simply staying true to the principals he ran on, and it seems he has, then I believe the people that voted him in have to deal with his judgment.

Next time they should do some homework before they vote and they could possibly avoid this stuff.

RaiderH8r
08-17-2009, 03:46 PM

Nope, Rain Man is right. He can vote however he wishes as can his constituents when he comes up for re-election.

petegz28
08-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Nope, Rain Man is right. He can vote however he wishes as can his constituents when he comes up for re-election.

I never said he couldn't vote how he wishes. Could and should are two different things.

Amazing how catholic Dems vote for the pro-choice agenda based on the will and desire of their constituency but now suddenly...well you get the point

Saul Good
08-17-2009, 05:18 PM
Obviously they CAN vote however they want. The question is SHOULD they. I would say that a Senator has more leeway than a Rep. As the title implies, he should be representing the people. Incidentally, Massa is a very appropriate name. It harkens back to the time of slavery.

googlegoogle
08-17-2009, 05:21 PM
Obviously they CAN vote however they want. The question is SHOULD they. I would say that a Senator has more leeway than a Rep. As the title implies, he should be representing the people. Incidentally, Massa is a very appropriate name. It harkens back to the time of slavery.

LOL, ok massa.

(banyon will be visiting you soon,lol)

|Zach|
08-17-2009, 05:58 PM
I never said he couldn't vote how he wishes. Could and should are two different things.

Amazing how catholic Dems vote for the pro-choice agenda based on the will and desire of their constituency but now suddenly...well you get the point

So why would there even have to be a person elected? To you a representative is a robot that reacts to issues based on how people are polled.

No?

KC Dan
08-17-2009, 06:02 PM
So why would there even have to be a person elected? To you a representative is a robot that reacts to issues based on how people are polled.

No?Of course not, but we would be better off and less in debt if they were cause that wall street or auto bailout would not have happened

|Zach|
08-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Of course not, but we would be better off and less in debt if they were cause that wall street or auto bailout would not have happened

So always listening to the American people as a whole for decisions would leave us more financially sound?

KC Dan
08-17-2009, 06:11 PM
So always listening to the American people as a whole for decisions would leave us more financially sound?I could add up to over $1 Trillion dollars that was printed up out of thin air by our Congress & the Fed that would not have been printed up had it been put up to a vote. But, don't believe me, ask your granchildren in thirty or so years how much they like paying for our wonderful decision-making in DC.

mlyonsd
08-17-2009, 06:12 PM
I actually think the guy should be commended for doing what he thinks is right but is political suicide.

|Zach|
08-17-2009, 06:21 PM
I could add up to over $1 Trillion dollars that was printed up out of thin air by our Congress & the Fed that would not have been printed up had it been put up to a vote. But, don't believe me, ask your granchildren in thirty or so years how much they like paying for our wonderful decision-making in DC.

You didn't answer my question.

KC Dan
08-17-2009, 06:31 PM
So always listening to the American people as a whole for decisions would leave us more financially sound?Of course not... In the case of bailout's - yes. No, I am closer to Maher's beliefs on the intellectual capacity of most Americans however their spending and gov't growth must be checked. This is insanity X 99. Maybe X infinity. We are heading down the bankruptcy path faster than a single mom with 8 children, no job, no child support, $100k of debt, $600/mo car payments, and a $1,500 mortgage.

Do you really think that we are going to get out of this debt mess without maxing out the printing presses? Do you EVER believe our gov't when they say that ANY "new" program will save us money? Especially one that they expect will take on more than 50 Million more people. Please be honest.

petegz28
08-17-2009, 06:53 PM

No?

Not at all. But when such key issues like this come up they should be listening to the People. We still have a government of the People, no matter how hard some try to make us a People of the government.

Jenson71
08-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Not at all. But when such key issues like this come up they should be listening to the People. We still have a government of the People, no matter how hard some try to make us a People of the government.

So key issues -- listen to the PEOPLE. Not so key issues -- anything they want?

petegz28
08-17-2009, 09:35 PM
So key issues -- listen to the PEOPLE. Not so key issues -- anything they want?

Yea, Jenson. Contrary to your black and white take, some issues are far less impacting than others.

ROYC75
08-18-2009, 07:56 AM
Of course not... In the case of bailout's - yes. No, I am closer to Maher's beliefs on the intellectual capacity of most Americans however their spending and gov't growth must be checked. This is insanity X 99. Maybe X infinity. We are heading down the bankruptcy path faster than a single mom with 8 children, no job, no child support, $100k of debt, $600/mo car payments, and a $1,500 mortgage.

Do you really think that we are going to get out of this debt mess without maxing out the printing presses? Do you EVER believe our gov't when they say that ANY "new" program will save us money? Especially one that they expect will take on more than 50 Million more people. Please be honest.

He won't answer this one......... trust me.

patteeu
08-18-2009, 11:32 AM
I actually think the guy should be commended for doing what he thinks is right but is political suicide.

I agree. I like two things about this situation. I like the fact that this guy is standing on principle (and wish more politicians were like him in that respect) and I like the idea of that in this case it's going to lead to this liberal democrat's political demise.