PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz: What Does Lelie Bring To The Chiefs?

Tribal Warfare
08-17-2009, 03:37 PM
What Does Lelie Bring To The Chiefs? (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/what-does-lelie-bring-to-the-chiefs.html)
August 17, 2009 - Bob Gretz |

From River Falls, Wisconsin

If there were any doubts that the Chiefs have reached a desperate stage in improving their wide receiver group, the signing on Monday of Ashley Lelie should end those.

Pioli/Haley are doing anything and everything they can to increase the talent level, and that includes signing a guy that has played for four different teams in seven seasons. Lelie has been one of the great first-round draft choice under-achievers in this decade. He came out of the University of Hawaii with speed, speed, speed, supposedly running the 40-yard dash in 4.27 seconds.

Seven years later, what does the 29-year old Lelie bring the Chiefs? Does he still have his speed? Why will he succeed in Kansas City when he was inconsistent in Denver and failed in Atlanta, San Francisco and Oakland? Since he was traded away by the Broncos during a pre-season contract holdout, Lelie has played in 43 games and caught a total of 49 passes for 742 yards and three TDs for three different teams. (That’s him getting crunched last year by Brandon Carr and Bernard Pollard in a Chiefs-Raiders game.)

Not exactly the recent resume of a difference maker.

“I think he’s healthy and he’s a little different (style) than anything we have,” said Haley. “He’s a long, lean guy with some speed, with some potential top end speed. I thought it was a chance to get somebody in here that’s a little different than what we had.”

Lelie has been waiting since the end of last season for a new home. That an offer to sign didn’t come until the middle of August does not bother him, even though his chances of making the club could be hurt by his late arrival.

“I don’t think, especially with the coaches bringing me in, they must not think so either,” said Lelie. “They think I have a pretty good shot.”

Does he still pack the same kind of speed he brought out of the college game?

“Oh, definitely,” Lelie said, “especially, because I’m so fresh. I haven’t really had any major injuries. My body still hasn’t been banged up. So I still feel like I’m 23 out there.”

Over his career, Lelie has caught 217 passes for 3,749 yards and 15 TDS. The bulk of that total came in the 2004 season with Denver when he caught 54 balls for 1,084 yards and seven TDs.

He played 10 games against the Chiefs with Denver and Oakland, catching 20 passes for 359 yards and no touchdowns.

raybec 4
08-17-2009, 03:40 PM
Wow no love from the blob!

listopencil
08-17-2009, 03:42 PM
A vagina.

Sure-Oz
08-17-2009, 03:42 PM
just trade for boldin already

Mecca
08-17-2009, 03:43 PM
Arizona is not trading Boldin unless you give them a 1st rounder, wanna give them a pick that is likely to be top 10?

LaChapelle
Haley may have been a little hasty in cutting Franklin. He had to have more potential than Jeff Webb.

Sure-Oz
Arizona is not trading Boldin unless you give them a 1st rounder, wanna give them a pick that is likely to be top 10?

give them both of our 2nds? or is that too high

Coogs
08-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Haley may have been a little hasty in cutting Franklin. He had to have more potential than Jeff Webb.

Didn't the Lions cut Franklin too?

T-post Tom
08-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Eddie Kennison redux? I could live with that as a #2 WR. Of course, that's pure wishful thinking. At least he's got the right HC (for a WR).

Sure-Oz
Didn't the Lions cut Franklin too?

Franklins a lazy peice of crap....and im a mizzou fan

hell he even admitted on his twitter he was lazy ass

LaChapelle
I thought Oakland picked him up on waivers. Maybe the Lions did first.

Mecca
08-17-2009, 03:48 PM
I wonder how many WR's this team will sign/cut by the team the year starts...

LaChapelle
08-17-2009, 03:51 PM
They've probably got a lot of washed ups calling them. Rison, Boston, PBJ ...

Saccopoo
08-17-2009, 03:54 PM
As Mecca stated, there are a multitude of success stories in the NFL for "fresh start" players. Lelei's size and speed alone are worth a look and he did the league in YPC one season. If he is able to stretch the field and pull a safety out of a comfort zone to let Bowe run a little more free, it would help immensely. Haley has shown that he's been able to improve wideouts play and Lelie most likely is aware that this is a kind of "last chance" situation for him. Picked him up for the minimum as well. This is as good a signing at a position of need as one could expect at this point - risks are virtually nil, while the potential rewards are through the roof.

Frosty
08-17-2009, 03:57 PM
I thought Oakland picked him up on waivers. Maybe the Lions did first.

Franklin is currently a Raider, as is Samie Parker.

LaChapelle
08-17-2009, 03:59 PM
Joe Horn?

Mecca
08-17-2009, 04:01 PM
Joe Horn is just super duper old, I doubt he can do much anymore.

LaChapelle
08-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Surely he's a Raider.

Halfcan
08-17-2009, 04:06 PM
I wonder how many WR's this team will sign/cut by the team the year starts...

exactly-the Tony G trade really looks dumb now.

kcchiefsus
08-17-2009, 04:11 PM

Considering we're building for this year and all.

Come next years draft we are going to be thrilled to have two 2nd round picks.

Fritz88
08-17-2009, 04:11 PM
[B][SIZE="4"]

Pioli/Haley are doing anything and everything they can to increase the talent level,

They should have done at least something to get Anquan Boldin from AZ.

KC Dan
08-17-2009, 04:13 PM
This should be put in the "fail" thread as he will....

kcchiefsus
08-17-2009, 04:18 PM
They should have done at least something to get Anquan Boldin from AZ.

So we should have traded a 1st day pick for a soon to be 29 year old wide receiver? What would we have traded? Certainly not the #3 pick. Should we have traded our 2nd round pick for him instead of Cassel? Even if we had wanted to do that, I doubt Arizona would have taken a 2nd round pick. What would we have traded for Boldin?

TEX
08-17-2009, 04:29 PM
As Mecca stated, there are a multitude of success stories in the NFL for "fresh start" players. Lelei's size and speed alone are worth a look and he did the league in YPC one season. If he is able to stretch the field and pull a safety out of a comfort zone to let Bowe run a little more free, it would help immensely. Haley has shown that he's been able to improve wideouts play and Lelie most likely is aware that this is a kind of "last chance" situation for him. Picked him up for the minimum as well. This is as good a signing at a position of need as one could expect at this point - risks are virtually nil, while the potential rewards are through the roof.

Yep.

KCChiefsMan
08-17-2009, 04:32 PM
we sure have signed a lot of WRs lately.

the Talking Can
08-17-2009, 04:32 PM

no, it doesn't

in fact they have nothing to do with each other, our WRs suck...it doesn't matter who is standing next to them in the lunch line...they suck, and it is better to get rid of them now or by next season then drag them along because Tony creates the illusion they don't suck....

getting a 2nd for Tony (uh, who didn't want to be here, leaving us no leverage) was brilliant, as next year will make clear....

the Talking Can
08-17-2009, 04:33 PM
ah, the "last chance" canard

what is this, Lelie's 3rd last chance?

Raised On Riots
08-17-2009, 04:33 PM

This.

DeezNutz
08-17-2009, 04:40 PM

He did?

He couldn't catch the ball consistently at Mizzou.

I see an equal amount of suck and disappointment in the two players, so I have no problem with both not being on the roster.

Leslie, if he grows a pair, is far more talented than Webb or Franklin.

Raised On Riots
08-17-2009, 04:49 PM
This is the barrel:

http://www.accigallery.com/Events/Light_and_the%20Dark/Lefferts%20Empty%20Barrel%204x6.jpg

This is the scraper:

http://www.diefenbacher.com/Glue_scraper.jpg

Any questions?

Fish
08-17-2009, 04:51 PM

How? If Tony G were still here we would still be lacking quality WRs. Tony wasn't a WR. And the fact that we were using him as one for so long instead of actually trying to get decent WRs is pathetic. The WR merry-go-round we're going through now is a direct effect of ignoring this position for far too long. Tony didn't want to be here. And to see people pine for TonyG instead of actually wanting real WRs is saddening. Let Tony go. Embrace the WR position with patience and let this play out. We'll be so much better for it in the end.....

DaWolf
08-17-2009, 05:03 PM
How? If Tony G were still here we would still be lacking quality WRs. Tony wasn't a WR. And the fact that we were using him as one for so long instead of actually trying to get decent WRs is pathetic. The WR merry-go-round we're going through now is a direct effect of ignoring this position for far too long. Tony didn't want to be here. And to see people pine for TonyG instead of actually wanting real WRs is saddening. Let Tony go. Embrace the WR position with patience and let this play out. We'll be so much better for it in the end.....

This. I think the fact that Carl had Gonzo here for so long gave him a convenient excuse to not go out and get an elite receiver to whom he'd have to pay premium money to catch 100+ balls. The WR position has been ignored for way too long around here. We get a 2nd for Gonzo, then give Bowe a year to see if he can indeed be the "man." If not, we go shopping next year, and we have the draft picks now to do so.

Haley is an aggressive, downfield passing type guy, and Gonzo, while still an effective possession guy, wasn't bringing that to the table. When your offense is built around a TE, you have issues. Having Gonzo here last year didn't prevent the inordinate number of three and outs we had, and it wasn't going to do anything about it this year. We have to find perimeter play makers...

DeezNutz
08-17-2009, 05:03 PM
Of course it would be better to have TG on the roster; it would help with Cassel's development. That said, long-term, the second rounder we received in compensation *should* make a much MUCH bigger impact on our quest to win a SB.

And this is all that matters.

TG would help us win a few more games this year. The draft pick we received should help us win for the next 5-10 years.

Which would you prefer?

Sure-Oz
08-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Oh nooeess we dont have tony geee and his zero playoff wins!111111111 ill take the 2nd rounder, he was a ****ing primadonna that wasnt going to win with us anyway

longterm future is all that we have now

kcchiefsus
08-17-2009, 05:06 PM
This. I think the fact that Carl had Gonzo here for so long gave him a convenient excuse to not go out and get an elite receiver to whom he'd have to pay premium money to catch 100+ balls. The WR position has been ignored for way too long around here. We get a 2nd for Gonzo, then give Bowe a year to see if he can indeed be the "man." If not, we go shopping next year, and we have the draft picks now to do so.

Haley is an aggressive, downfield passing type guy, and Gonzo, while still an effective possession guy, wasn't bringing that to the table. When your offense is built around a TE, you have issues. Having Gonzo here last year didn't prevent the inordinate number of three and outs we had, and it wasn't going to do anything about it this year. We have to find perimeter play makers...

We need more WR's regardless of what happens with Bowe. I still have no doubt in my mind that Bowe is a #1 on many teams or at least a #2 on some of the teams with more talent at WR. He will prove himself as a legit #1 after Haley quits playing games.

Using a 1st day pick on a WR would be a pretty damn good idea IMO.

Fish
08-17-2009, 05:19 PM
We need more WR's regardless of what happens with Bowe. I still have no doubt in my mind that Bowe is a #1 on many teams or at least a #2 on some of the teams with more talent at WR. He will prove himself as a legit #1 after Haley quits playing games.

Using a 1st day pick on a WR would be a pretty damn good idea IMO.

Haley isn't playing games. Not in the least. Haley is motivating hard core. Bowe would be wise to accede quickly or else he might be on the bench when the season starts. I think Haley is stubborn enough to do just that.

ChiefMojo
08-17-2009, 05:20 PM
Why would anyone complain about keeping either Franklin or Webb... both were Herm bums! Sure Lelie isn't some grand thing, but at least he is MUCH MORE proven of a commodity than the two mentioned. Those two mentioned haven't done ANYTHING in the NFL period. The reek of suckiness!

KCDC
08-17-2009, 05:25 PM
I'll support what seems to be the minority view. Getting rid of TG was a mistake because the second round pick we will get from Atlanta will be at the end of the second round. A good WR is unlikely to be available then, and now we need a TE. Cottam and Ryan are don't appear to be the answers to anything, except to extend our mediocrity from the WR position to the TE position too. Cassel has one quality person to throw to -- that's it. Some of you think Bradley will be good. Some of you think Copper is really Gold. He ain't.

So, you retard the development of Matt Cassel this season, further expose the weaknesses of a lackluster offense, and admit that it will take 3 years to build any kind of offense (barring using all your early 2010 draft picks on offense instead of NT). TG would have kept the offense at a passible level for 3 years while we used the picks to build the 3-4 defense. Instead, we find ourselves with an offense with one total receiver. One. No RT, and the hope of the running game on the back of LJ. This is not something that is going to be aided much with the 58th pick in the draft.

So, with TG gone, we have to hope that Pioli can sign a castoff from another team that can get 500 yards. Yeah, Haley doesn't like designing plays for TEs, but Cassel sure would have liked to get that first down toss to TG in traffic than rely on Toomer or Engram.

I hope I am wrong and that Toomer and Engram have great years and provide the same surety of a catch in traffic that TG did. Just don't expect it. Now we have one more big hole to fill, in return for a pick at the end of the second round. The odds of that pick lasting longer in the NFL than TG is questionable, and it merely creates another hole to fix a different hole. You aren't gaining much from that unless you had a stud TE behind TG that needed playing time.

Just my opinion anyway.

DeezNutz
08-17-2009, 05:29 PM
I'll support what seems to be the minority view. Getting rid of TG was a mistake because the second round pick we will get from Atlanta will be at the end of the second round. A good WR is unlikely to be available then, and now we need a TE. Cottam and Ryan are don't appear to be the answers to anything, except to extend our mediocrity from the WR position to the TE position too. Cassel has one quality person to throw to -- that's it. Some of you think Bradley will be good. Some of you think Copper is really Gold. He ain't.

So, you retard the development of Matt Cassel this season, further expose the weaknesses of a lackluster offense, and admit that it will take 3 years to build any kind of offense (barring using all your early 2010 draft picks on offense instead of NT). TG would have kept the offense at a passible level for 3 years while we used the picks to build the 3-4 defense. Instead, we find ourselves with an offense with one total receiver. One. No RT, and the hope of the running game on the back of LJ. This is not something that is going to be aided much with the 58th pick in the draft.

So, with TG gone, we have to hope that Pioli can sign a castoff from another team that can get 500 yards. Yeah, Haley doesn't like designing plays for TEs, but Cassel sure would have liked to get that first down toss to TG in traffic than rely on Toomer or Engram.

I hope I am wrong and that Toomer and Engram have great years and provide the same surety of a catch in traffic that TG did. Just don't expect it. Now we have one more big hole to fill, in return for a pick at the end of the second round. The odds of that pick lasting longer in the NFL than TG is questionable, and it merely creates another hole to fix a different hole. You aren't gaining much from that unless you had a stud TE behind TG that needed playing time.

Just my opinion anyway.

So what?

The upcoming draft is deep as fuck in defensive talent. That's where the pick would be well spent. The idea that we have to use the compensation to fill the hole that was created when the player left is not accurate.

As we know, Haley's offense doesn't emphasize the TE position, so this would devalue Gonzo to an extent. Furthermore, he's at an age where his level of play could fall off a cliff at any time.

Trading Tony to ATL was a win for both teams involved.

the Talking Can
08-17-2009, 05:31 PM
we need a #3 WR more than we need a TE....

Chocolate Hog
08-17-2009, 05:32 PM
What Does Lelie Bring To The Chiefs?

More inconstistant play to a mecidore group of WR's.

Fish
08-17-2009, 05:37 PM
Be reasonable. One of these guys is going to put it together and be a dependable #2. Just because they're castoffs, that doesn't mean that they can't excel. At least they're trying some other guys here and there instead of stubbornly sticking with unproven youth. Hell this kind of WR action a few seasons ago would have been welcomed by quite a few people. They're making it very competitive and waiting for someone to step up. Obviously nobody has leaped into the lead yet, but there's still time for them to put together a decent WR group.

And they're not doing this to replace TG. They're doing this to replace a bunch of bums who needed to be replaced anyway. TG wouldn't have been in the offensive plans enough to keep TG happy. And he would have whined about it and Haley would have thrown a fit. Haley's offense just doesn't use a TE much. Tony knew it. Everybody except the True Fans got what they wanted out of the TG deal.

JASONSAUTO
08-17-2009, 06:32 PM
. Everybody except the True Fans got what they wanted out of the TG deal.

i'm repeatedly called a true fan round here, i'm happy with the deal we got for TG