PDA

View Full Version : ChiefsPlanet I see SHTSPRAYER came back and got banned again

dirk digler
08-18-2009, 05:08 PM
So what did he do this time? I am sure it was good

Bwana
08-18-2009, 05:13 PM
Pissed off a few of the granola crunchers? :shrug:

dirk digler
08-18-2009, 05:15 PM

I don't know that is why I am asking. I was gone all last week on a secret mission to Hawaii to find Obama's birth certificate at Donger's request.

Baby Lee
08-18-2009, 05:16 PM
I don't know that is why I am asking. I was gone all last week on a secret mission to Hawaii to find Obama's birth certificate at Donger's request.

you're horrible at keeping secrets.

BigRedChief
08-18-2009, 05:17 PM
I've never hugged a tree and I hate granola. I'm against any form of gun control. I'm for serious illegal immigration reform and I think we should hunt down and kill every single Al-Quaeda member in the world regardless of what country they are hiding in. So there :Poke:

dirk digler
08-18-2009, 05:17 PM
you're horrible at keeping secrets.

It was only a secret at the time ;)

Bwana
08-18-2009, 05:19 PM
I've never hugged a tree and I hate granola. I'm against any form of gun control. I'm for serious illegal immigration reform and I think we should hunt down and kill every single Al-Quaeda member in the world regardless of what country they are hiding in. So there :Poke:

Heh, works for me. :thumb:

BigRedChief
08-18-2009, 05:20 PM
Heh, works for me. :thumb:
remember I voted for Ronald Reagan, twice.

dirk digler
08-18-2009, 05:22 PM
So does anyone know what he did to get banned again?

mlyonsd
08-18-2009, 05:24 PM

I noticed you didn't post a copy of it. ;)

Bwana
08-18-2009, 05:25 PM

You are the man. :D

Baby Lee
08-18-2009, 05:26 PM
The only thing I've seen that's even close to risable is thanking vailpass for saving him a member's fee after KC Native said VP had been gone because he was setting up a Klan chapter, but nothing came of VP pulling his 'do my lawn' schtick. And that was 4 days ago.

Maybe a PM? :shrug:

Maybe he chose banned as his tagline and isn't actually banned?

BucEyedPea
08-18-2009, 05:28 PM

That's about the size of it. :)

BucEyedPea
08-18-2009, 05:29 PM

O.M.G. We actually agree!

BucEyedPea
08-18-2009, 05:30 PM

He'd have very hurt feelings if he heard you today .:harumph:

Iowanian
08-18-2009, 05:30 PM

But you definitely know how ObamAss tastes.

Bwana
08-18-2009, 05:34 PM

Yeah, I must admit, I was impressed as well.

As far as the ban, I drop in about once every 3 days, so I have no idea why, or "if" it even happened. Could just be his chosen tag. :hmmm:

Bwana
08-18-2009, 05:35 PM
He'd have very hurt feelings if he heard you today .:harumph:

I don't know if Ron would, but JaZ will loose some sleep if he reads that. LMAO

dirk digler
08-18-2009, 05:35 PM
I noticed you didn't post a copy of it. ;)

No but I did get a pic of the hospital where he was "born" and say where he was raised. It was basically 2 blocks away from each other.

dirk digler
08-18-2009, 05:36 PM
Maybe he chose banned as his tagline and isn't actually banned?

Good point I didn't think of that.

BigRedChief
08-18-2009, 05:39 PM
You haven't been paying attention. All you see is an Obamabot.

dirk digler
08-18-2009, 05:44 PM
I apologize to shtsprayer if he isn't banned. I hope he sticks around and stays out of trouble

banyon
08-18-2009, 05:54 PM
So does anyone know what he did to get banned again?

be himself? :shrug:

banyon
08-18-2009, 06:03 PM
Ok, I found it:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=5972436#post5972436

He was using racial slurs again (BUT HE'S NOT A RACIST, REALLY HE'S NOT! PINKY SWEAR, *NUDGE*, WINK) .

Bwana
08-18-2009, 06:09 PM
Ok, I found it:

He was using racial slurs again (BUT HE'S NOT A RACIST, REALLY HE'S NOT! PINKY SWEAR, *NUDGE*, WINK) .

No way he got a ban for:

Originally Posted by SHTSPRAYER http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=5972436#post5972436)
They can call us Gringo and still become Supreme Court justices:

BucEyedPea
08-18-2009, 06:10 PM
You haven't been paying attention. All you see is an Obamabot.

Did I ever call you that?

Saul Good
08-18-2009, 06:11 PM
Ok, I found it:

I'm not trying do defend nor condemn anything that he has said, but how is that using a racial slur?

banyon
08-18-2009, 06:16 PM
I'm not trying do defend nor condemn anything that he has said, but how is that using a racial slur?

My guess is that the post was edited, perhaps by the same moderator who instituted the ban. You'll notice that Donger's quote didn't have the same language.

BucEyedPea
08-18-2009, 06:25 PM

Everything is race-based to lefties.

banyon
08-18-2009, 06:27 PM
Everything is race-based to lefties.

You don't think using slurs is race based?

Baby Lee
08-18-2009, 06:28 PM
More likely, the actual post in question was

I'm not sure if my goods and services would increase in value if the companies who provide them hired Americans instead of ******** EDIT: [those exhibiting prominent thoracolumbar moisture].

They might actually pay Americans less.

banyon
08-18-2009, 06:28 PM
No way he got a ban for:

Originally Posted by SHTSPRAYER http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=5972436#post5972436)
They can call us Gringo and still become Supreme Court justices:

I don't believe he did. It was for the post before that (again I'm guessing).

Bwana
08-18-2009, 06:36 PM
I don't believe he did. It was for the post before that (again I'm guessing).

Awwwww 10-4

Saul Good
08-18-2009, 06:37 PM

Even that isn't technically a racial remark. It's a slur, but it's not directed at a race. I'm not defending him. He seems to get a charge out of forcing the moderators' hands, but that isn't a racial slur.

banyon
08-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Even that isn't technically a racial remark. It's a slur, but it's not directed at a race. I'm not defending him. He seems to get a charge out of forcing the moderators' hands, but that isn't a racial slur.

It most certainly is a slur directed at Hispanic persons.

Frazod
08-18-2009, 06:48 PM

I'm pretty sure that's the one. I was on when he posted it - his latest (and hopefully permanent) dirt nap commenced not long afterward.

And NO, I didn't flag him for it or report it, so everybody can keep their estrogen to themselves.

Saul Good
08-18-2009, 06:54 PM
It most certainly is a slur directed at Hispanic persons.

No it isn't. That's like saying that calling a German a Kraut is a slur directed at Caucasians. It just isn't true.

It's a slur against people who have come to the United states from south of the border. There's nothing ethnic about it. It's certainly in bad taste, but it's not racial.

Reaper16
08-18-2009, 06:59 PM
It's a slur against people who have come to the United states from south of the border. There's nothing ethnic about it. It's certainly in bad taste, but it's not racial.
:spock:

What kind of racial identity do you think the people that come to the U.S. from its southern border have?

banyon
08-18-2009, 07:01 PM
No it isn't. That's like saying that calling a German a Kraut is a slur directed at Caucasians. It just isn't true.

So, you think if some Africans or Chinese people decided to cross the southern border to gain illegal entry into the us that it would make sense to call them the same thing?

Saul Good
08-18-2009, 07:04 PM
:spock:

What kind of racial identity do you think the people that come to the U.S. from its southern border have?

By that logic, I guess I'm safe in assuming that you think the terms Mick, Krauts, and Frogs are slurs against white people.

Saul Good
08-18-2009, 07:05 PM
So, you think if some Africans or Chinese people decided to cross the southern border to gain illegal entry into the us that it would make sense to call them the same thing?

It would make more sense than to call a Mexican living in Mexico by that term. Do you agree that it does not apply to Mexicans living in Mexico?

dirk digler
08-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Damn so he pulled the same shit again?

banyon
08-18-2009, 07:07 PM
It would make more sense than to call a Mexican living in Mexico by that term. Do you agree that it does not apply to Mexicans living in Mexico?

Well, I don't use it of course, but the people who do use it I don't believe care enough about details to make that distinction, no. They mean Hispanics.

Saul Good
08-18-2009, 07:08 PM
Well, I don't use it of course, but the people who do use it I don't believe care enough about details to make that distinction, no. They mean Hispanics.

If you don't know what the term means, how can you say that it's racist?

banyon
By that logic, I guess I'm safe in assuming that you think the terms Mick, Krauts, and Frogs are slurs against white people.

No, Europe had a little more heterogeneous development and place in our history, so they are more country specific.

banyon
If you don't know what the term means, how can you say that it's racist?

I didn't say I didn't know what it means. Where did I say that?

headsnap
08-18-2009, 07:09 PM

seriously?

Saul Good
08-18-2009, 07:12 PM
I didn't say I didn't know what it means. Where did I say that?

Then answer my question. Don't try to hedge by saying what you think racists think the term means. Would the term apply to Mexicans living in Mexico?

Frazod
08-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Damn so he pulled the same shit again?

It's what he does. D2112 said he's been banned from every other board he ever joined for the same shit (as always, thanks D2112 for the gift that keeps on giving 4321 ). He's probably working on getting banned from his next board as we speak. The guy is Archie Bunker with brain damage. I hope to God the plug stays pulled this time.

banyon
08-18-2009, 07:15 PM
Then answer my question. Don't try to hedge by saying what you think racists think the term means. Would the term apply to Mexicans living in Mexico?

Sure, I think your analogy would be the N-word and black people in this country vs. African nationals. One is the historic use, butI don't believe the majority of people who use the term think much about the distinction you're trying to make, nor am I sure why that would make it somehow not a slur.

Saul Good
08-18-2009, 07:16 PM
In case anybody is wondering, the term is actually in reference to Mexicans who illegally cross into the United States.

Operation Wetback

In 1949 the Border Patrol seized nearly 280,000 illegal immigrants. By 1953, the numbers had grown to more than 865,000, and the U.S. government felt pressured to do something about the onslaught of immigration. What resulted was Operation Wetback, devised in 1954 under the supervision of new commissioner of the Immigration and Nationalization Service, Gen. Joseph Swing.

banyon
08-18-2009, 07:18 PM
In case anybody is wondering, the term is actually in reference to Mexicans who illegally cross into the United States.

Operation person of Hispanic heritage

In 1949 the Border Patrol seized nearly 280,000 illegal immigrants. By 1953, the numbers had grown to more than 865,000, and the U.S. government felt pressured to do something about the onslaught of immigration. What resulted was Operation person of Hispanic heritage, devised in 1954 under the supervision of new commissioner of the Immigration and Nationalization Service, Gen. Joseph Swing.

It was. But as you agreed it would likely not apply to people of ethnically non-Hispanic origins who make such an illegal crossing (whether they were Mexicans or not).

Saul Good
08-18-2009, 07:19 PM
Sure, I think your analogy would be the N-word and black people in this country vs. African nationals. One is the historic use, butI don't believe the majority of people who use the term think much about the distinction you're trying to make, nor am I sure why that would make it somehow not a slur.

I stated very plainly on multiple occasions that it absolutely is a slur. It's just not a racial slur for multiple reasons.

1. Mexican is not a race.
2. It only applies to those who have illegally crossed into the US.

Baby Lee
08-18-2009, 07:19 PM
Themanjacks!!

Reaper16
08-18-2009, 07:21 PM

Operation Wetback

In 1949 the Border Patrol seized nearly 280,000 illegal immigrants. By 1953, the numbers had grown to more than 865,000, and the U.S. government felt pressured to do something about the onslaught of immigration. What resulted was Operation Wetback, devised in 1954 under the supervision of new commissioner of the Immigration and Nationalization Service, Gen. Joseph Swing.
Jesus. Good job, government, on that name. Can you imagine an Operation N-word? Or if the WWII internment camps were executed under an Operation Nip? Terrible.

Frazod
08-18-2009, 07:21 PM
I stated very plainly on multiple occasions that it absolutely is a slur. It's just not a racial slur for multiple reasons.

I'll tell you what - the next time you run into some big Mexican dude, call him that and see what happens.

Saul Good
08-18-2009, 07:22 PM
It was. But as you agreed it would likely not apply to people of ethnically non-Hispanic origins who make such an illegal crossing (whether they were Mexicans or not).

Would a Venn Diagram help?

Let's use a slur against people from a European country since nobody cares about slurs against whites.

All Krauts are white. Not all whites are Krauts.

Saul Good
08-18-2009, 07:22 PM
I'll tell you what - the next time you run into some big Mexican dude, call him that and see what happens.

Why would I slur anyone?

Baby Lee
08-18-2009, 07:23 PM
Also, lest any forget, slur is an intent.

If I were to use it consistently to refer deridingly to a negative attribute of a race or creed, sufficient that people knew my meaning and it developed a currency, Whizzbopple could become a slur, or Snooklehutz.

Reaper16
08-18-2009, 07:23 PM

I hear it used all of the time as an ethnic slur against all manner of Hispanic peoples. Even when those using it know that the Hispanic person they are talking about is not Mexican.

Donger
08-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Wait, I got him banned for writing "wetback"?

Saul Good
08-18-2009, 07:27 PM
I hear it used all of the time as an ethnic slur against all manner of Hispanic peoples. Even when those using it know that the Hispanic person they are talking about is not Mexican.

And I've read a college essay written about how Nelson Mandela was one of the world's most admired African Americans. That doesn't make Nelson Mandela an African American.

dirk digler
08-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Wait, I got him banned for writing "wetback"?

Good job Donger you softie Liberal. :)

Reaper16
08-18-2009, 07:30 PM
And I've read a college essay written about how Nelson Mandela was one of the world's most admired African Americans. That doesn't make Nelson Mandela an African American.
You're denying that words can change in meaning over time, or take on additional meanings? Words like "gay" and "faggot" for example didn't start out as homosexual references but they certainly are now.

Donger
08-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Good job Donger. :)

I didn't report anything. I just don't think that that is an appropriate word here.

Anyway, that wetback KC native probably turned him in.

Donger
08-18-2009, 07:31 PM

What idiot wrote that?

banyon
08-18-2009, 07:31 PM
Would a Venn Diagram help?

Let's use a slur against people from a European country since nobody cares about slurs against whites.

All Krauts are white. Not all whites are Krauts.

I don't follow, do you disagree that it would not make sense to use the term in question against a person of a non-Hispanic origin who was born in Mexico who illegally crossed? ( A Chinese Mexican, if you will).

dirk digler
08-18-2009, 07:33 PM
I didn't report anything. I just don't think that that is an appropriate word here.

Anyway, that wetback KC native probably turned him in.

LMAO

It is ok that you ratted him out ;)

Saul Good
08-18-2009, 07:35 PM
You're denying that words can change in meaning over time, or take on additional meanings? Words like "gay" and "pillowbiter" for example didn't start out as homosexual references but they certainly are now.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who is using that term to mean anything other than Mexicans illegally crossing into the US is using it incorrectly. I would cede the point that many (knowingly or, more likely unknowingly) use it incorrectly as a pejorative.

There is, however, a historical significance to the term. I choose not to participate in the ignorance by using the term or by making it out to be something that it isn't.

Donger
08-18-2009, 07:37 PM
I still want KC native to tell me about some Mexican slurs against White people. I think they are all in Mexican, so I wouldn't know a slur from a compliment, anyway.

dirk digler
08-18-2009, 07:38 PM
I still want KC native to tell me about some Mexican slurs against White people. I think they are all in Mexican, so I wouldn't know a slur from a compliment, anyway.

pendejo

keg in kc
08-18-2009, 07:39 PM
bendajoOr pendejo, even.

Donger
bendajo

A musical instrument?

Saul Good
I don't follow, do you disagree that it would not make sense to use the term in question against a person of a non-Hispanic origin who was born in Mexico who illegally crossed? ( A Chinese Mexican, if you will).

I don't disagree. In fact, I will go you one better. It would not make sense for any non-Mexican to be described as such. It would also not make sense for any Mexican living in Mexico to be described as such. I would submit that, because neither the person's race nor ethnicity change upon crossing into the US illegally, it is not a racial slur.

That is not to say that it is acceptable to use the term towards anyone as a pejorative, but there are circumstances in which it at least makes some sense as a properly used slur.

Saul Good
08-18-2009, 07:42 PM
A musical instrument?

In light of that, may I propose the use of the word "strummer" as a new racial epithet against Caucasians? It would be derived from the image of uneducated yokels strumming on a banjo.

To use it in a sentence: "Those strummers kicked us out of their pool because they didn't want a camp full of black kids swimming with them."

banyon
08-18-2009, 07:42 PM
I don't disagree. In fact, I will go you one better. It would not make sense for any non-Mexican to be described as such. It would also not make sense for any Mexican living in Mexico to be described as such. I would submit that, because neither the person's race nor ethnicity change upon crossing into the US illegally, it is not a racial slur.

That is not to say that it is acceptable to use the term towards anyone as a pejorative, but there are circumstances in which it at least makes some sense as a properly used slur.

No, I don't think you are granting my premise. The individual I have in mind is Mexican, but has a non-Hispanic ethnicity and decides to cross illegally. No one would use that term against them.

Saul Good
08-18-2009, 07:44 PM
No, I don't think you are granting my premise. The individual I have in mind is Mexican, but has a non-Hispanic ethnicity and decides to cross illegally. No one would use that term against them.

They might not, but that doesn't mean that it would be an improper use of the term if they did.

banyon
08-18-2009, 07:46 PM
They might not, but that doesn't mean that it would be an improper use of the term if they did.

I don't think anyone would use the term that way. And just because the term meant one thing originally doesn't mean its connotations can't change over time. It's not as if there's some Constitution of Racial Slurs that we have to promote strict construction of. Activist racists! :cuss:

dirk digler
08-18-2009, 07:49 PM
A musical instrument?

dumbass :D

Saul Good
08-18-2009, 07:51 PM
I don't think anyone would use the term that way. And just because the term meant one thing originally doesn't mean its connotations can't change over time. It's not as if there's some Constitution of Racial Slurs that we have to promote strict construction of. Activist racists! :cuss:

We don't HAVE to do anything. I CHOOSE to use words and phrases accurately, especially those with a historical significance. I'm not going to go on a crusade or anything, but accusing someone of racism is a pretty serious accusation. Using a non-racial term as evidence of racism is unfair.

Is Sprayer a racist? I would say that he is either a racist, somebody who just likes to cross the line in order to get a reaction, or both. Gun to my head...both.

Reaper16
08-18-2009, 07:55 PM
It's not as if there's some Constitution of Racial Slurs that we have to promote strict construction of. Activist racists! :cuss:
LMAO

banyon
08-18-2009, 08:04 PM
We don't HAVE to do anything. I CHOOSE to use words and phrases accurately, especially those with a historical significance. I'm not going to go on a crusade or anything, but accusing someone of racism is a pretty serious accusation. Using a non-racial term as evidence of racism is unfair.

Is Sprayer a racist? I would say that he is either a racist, somebody who just likes to cross the line in order to get a reaction, or both. Gun to my head...both.

Well I think we're gong to disagree about the term having a racial meaning and I think your interpretation is pretty far askance from the normal use of the term, but we can agree about the latter part.

Frazod
08-18-2009, 08:08 PM
Also, lest any forget, slur is an intent.

If I were to use it consistently to refer deridingly to a negative attribute of a race or creed, sufficient that people knew my meaning and it developed a currency, Whizzbopple could become a slur, or Snooklehutz.

This is very true. Some pissed off oriental guy once called me a "redneck hick farmer from Kansas." He saw my Chiefs shirt and heard my accent. There is no doubt in my mind how he meant that - I saw the look in his eye and heard the sound of his voice. Nor was there any doubt in the minds of the people who held me back when I lunged at him. I would have killed that motherfucker had I got my hands on him. Nothing in my life ever pissed me off so much so quickly. I didn't find humor in it, or respond in kind - I just saw red.

Reaper16
08-18-2009, 08:20 PM
This is very true. Some pissed off oriental guy once called me a "redneck hick farmer from Kansas." He saw my Chiefs shirt and heard my accent. There is no doubt in my mind how he meant that - I saw the look in his eye and heard the sound of his voice. Nor was there any doubt in the minds of the people who held me back when I lunged at him. I would have killed that motherfucker had I got my hands on him. Nothing in my life ever pissed me off so much so quickly. I didn't find humor in it, or respond in kind - I just saw red.
Heh, you referred to the guy with with a term that is now considered insensitive or even derogatory.

Frazod
08-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Heh, you referred to the guy with with a term that is now considered insensitive or even derogatory.

Really? I guess I didn't get the memo on that one. :D

Reaper16
08-18-2009, 08:24 PM
Really? I guess I didn't get the memo on that one. :D
It sounds like he deserved it.

Saul Good
08-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Bill Parcells understands that you meant no disrespect to the Japs.

Saul Good
08-18-2009, 08:26 PM

People can deserve to be referred to by racially insensitive terms? I guess SPRAYER was right after all.

wild1
08-18-2009, 08:27 PM
If he is the person I am thinking of, he posted an unflattering (aren't they all) picture of the First Lady and then a picture of a gorilla.

Frazod
08-18-2009, 08:28 PM

I didn't call him anything.

I was helping some friends move on a hot summer day in Chicago, and there was no alley so we had the moving van blocking the street. There is no alternative in that circumstance, and people in the city just deal with it. Everybody but this fucking douche. He pulled up behind the van and started honking, demanded we move the van (which he clearly saw before he drove down the street). I said something to the effect of "Are you blind? Do you see what we're doing here? Go down the next street!" That's when he laid the redneck Kansas thing on me.

Reaper16
08-18-2009, 08:44 PM
People can deserve to be referred to by racially insensitive terms? I guess SPRAYER was right after all.
Hush your mouth, strummer.

patteeu
08-19-2009, 08:08 AM
This is very true. Some pissed off oriental guy once called me a "redneck hick farmer from Kansas." He saw my Chiefs shirt and heard my accent. There is no doubt in my mind how he meant that - I saw the look in his eye and heard the sound of his voice. Nor was there any doubt in the minds of the people who held me back when I lunged at him. I would have killed that mother****er had I got my hands on him. Nothing in my life ever pissed me off so much so quickly. I didn't find humor in it, or respond in kind - I just saw red.

Good Lord, you've got a short fuse. Do you see anyone about that?

patteeu
08-19-2009, 08:09 AM

Sometimes ethnic slurs are deserved? Isn't that the argument that SHTSPRAYER was using last time he got banned?

Edit: apologies to Saul Good for the repost.

Saggysack
08-19-2009, 08:32 AM
No racist slurs, quey.

Gots ta gets a long, fool.

Man that shit ain't right, dude.

Chief Henry
08-19-2009, 08:32 AM

:clap: lol

Saggysack
08-19-2009, 08:43 AM
I like granola. It keeps me regular. Something is wrong if you don't poop daily.

Throw some flax seed in your oatmeal and you're good to go.

Otter
08-19-2009, 08:47 AM

I was at a "stop illegal immigration" meet-up about six months ago and was called something that sounded like "poo-tah" by an pro-open border bystander who I'm pretty sure was Mexican and the word was of Spanish origin.

Tried to look it up but don't know how to spell the word, I'm pretty sure he wasn't complimenting me.

Frazod
08-19-2009, 08:48 AM
Good Lord, you've got a short fuse. Do you see anyone about that?

Again, this is all part of that "being a man" thing that you just don't understand.

Fish
08-19-2009, 08:53 AM
Buncha damn Snooklehutzes in this thread....

Frazod
08-19-2009, 08:53 AM
I also think there's some confusion here over what Reaper said - I believe he meant that "oriental" is apparently now considered offensive. I was completely unaware of this.

You practically need regular updates to keep up with this crap.

Otter
08-19-2009, 08:56 AM
I also think there's some confusion here over what Reaper said - I believe he meant that "oriental" is apparently now considered offensive. I was completely unaware of this.

I think "mooks" is a pretty vague term that refers to a group but none in particular that the PC police haven't caught up with - yet.

Frazod
08-19-2009, 09:00 AM
I think "mooks" is a pretty vague term that refers to a group but none in particular that the PC police haven't caught up with - yet.

That certainly sounds worse than oriental. :D

Baby Lee
08-19-2009, 11:02 AM
I was at a "stop illegal immigration" meet-up about six months ago and was called something that sounded like "poo-tah" by an pro-open border bystander who I'm pretty sure was Mexican and the word was of Spanish origin.

Tried to look it up but don't know how to spell the word, I'm pretty sure he wasn't complimenting me.

puta, it literally means whore, but is used in the same manner as we use f@ck.

Baby Lee
08-19-2009, 11:05 AM

Also, Dude, chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please

But to your query, Oriental's literal meaning is a Western/Colonial one and means 'to the east.' They initially used it to refer to the middle east [Turkey, Iran, etc], and over time it came to mean exotic by Western standards. Then they extended it to Asia. Then they used it in the 'hierarchy' of the races [Negroe, Mongoloid, Oriental, Caucasian, from highest to lowest potential/evolution]. This led them to using it to refer to exotic with a savage/indigenous twinge. Finally, some feel it's an adjective that should be limited to objects, ie Oriental rug is OK, Oriental person not so much.

mlyonsd
08-19-2009, 11:06 AM
It was very cordial of dirk to create a 100 post thread to sprayer while he was banned. I'm sure he'll get a kick out of it when he comes back.

blaise
08-19-2009, 11:14 AM

I don't. It's a stupid word, I never would say it and it's offenseive, but the way I've always heard it it pertains to Mexicans more than Hispanics as a whole. Like back when I lived in southern Florida and NY state the Hispanic people were more Puerto Rican than Mexican and I never heard them referred to as that word.
I don't know why I'm arguing it though, it's a derogatory slur either way.

Reaper16
08-19-2009, 11:33 AM

Sometimes ethnic slurs are deserved? Isn't that the argument that SHTSPRAYER was using last time he got banned?

Edit: apologies to Saul Good for the repost.
No.

KC native
08-19-2009, 11:56 AM
Ah, damn, I missed all the fun in this one. Oh well, he'll be back so we'll probably see a repeat of this again in a few months.

BTW I don't think it was just the slur directed at Hispanics. I think his picture of Michelle Obama and the gorilla (that wild1 mentioned earlier) sealed the deal because we all know that racism in DC is fine as long as it is directed at Hispanics.

Dave Lane
08-19-2009, 11:59 AM

So did I.

But I swear that if Obama proved he could walk on water the Republinuts would be going ape shit because he couldn't swim

Donger
08-19-2009, 12:01 PM
Ah, damn, I missed all the fun in this one. Oh well, he'll be back so we'll probably see a repeat of this again in a few months.

BTW I don't think it was just the slur directed at Hispanics. I think his picture of Michelle Obama and the gorilla (that wild1 mentioned earlier) sealed the deal because we all know that racism in DC is fine as long as it is directed at Hispanics.

How do you say "chip" in Mexican?

KC native
08-19-2009, 12:02 PM
How do you say "chip" in Mexican?

Like potato chip?

blaise
08-19-2009, 12:02 PM
So did I.

But I swear that if Obama proved he could walk on water the Republinuts would be going ape shit because he couldn't swim

So true, those one sided Republinuts. Unlike those libs that already have accepted that he does, in fact, walk on water.

Donger
08-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Like potato chip?

Shoulder chip.

KC native
08-19-2009, 12:11 PM
Shoulder chip.

Doesn't translate and I don't know the equivalent colloquialism in Spanish. Dichos, "sayings", are very regional and I haven't ever had to say something like that nor have I heard it. A Spanish speaker would probably just say the person is angry quite often.

Frazod
08-19-2009, 12:12 PM
Also, Dude, chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please

But to your query, Oriental's literal meaning is a Western/Colonial one and means 'to the east.' They initially used it to refer to the middle east [Turkey, Iran, etc], and over time it came to mean exotic by Western standards. Then they extended it to Asia. Then they used it in the 'hierarchy' of the races [Negroe, Mongoloid, Oriental, Caucasian, from highest to lowest potential/evolution]. This led them to using it to refer to exotic with a savage/indigenous twinge. Finally, some feel it's an adjective that should be limited to objects, ie Oriental rug is OK, Oriental person not so much.

I asked one of my friends who is Chinese about "oriental" and he basically told me the same thing.

Ultra Peanut
08-19-2009, 12:26 PM
oh look, apologizing for racism and racist terminology

i. am. stunned.

i. am. i. am. i--http://i26.tinypic.com/2605u7o.gif

dirk digler
08-19-2009, 12:34 PM
It was very cordial of dirk to create a 100 post thread to sprayer while he was banned. I'm sure he'll get a kick out of it when he comes back.

I thought so too :D

gblowfish
08-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Apparently, he's absent because he's vacationing in Maryland...

patteeu
08-19-2009, 03:10 PM

What's wrong with comparing a public figure with a primate? People around here used to compare GWBush to a monkey all the time. :shrug:

googlegoogle
08-19-2009, 03:16 PM
Ok, I found it:

nothing racist there.

What we have here is a case of a RACIALLY SENSITIVE CENSORING MOD.

KC native
08-19-2009, 03:18 PM
What's wrong with comparing a public figure with a primate? People around here used to compare GWBush to a monkey all the time. :shrug:

You still trying to defend him? ROFL JFC patty, he's an unabashed racist and you know.

ClevelandBronco
08-19-2009, 03:19 PM
puta, it literally means whore, but is used in the same manner as we use f@ck.

"Puta" can also mean "bitch."

"Chingar" is the infinitive for "to f@ck."

Slainte
08-20-2009, 05:39 AM
Doesn't translate and I don't know the equivalent colloquialism in Spanish. Dichos, "sayings", are very regional and I haven't ever had to say something like that nor have I heard it. A Spanish speaker would probably just say the person is angry quite often.

Not a fluent speaker by any means, but I think it's "acomplejado" --
which means literally "a complex".

Thus, "Estar acomplejado" = to be complexed. The closest equivalent to "to have a chip on one's shoulder."

At least that's what the local Spanish would say.

Inspector
08-20-2009, 09:09 AM
My family pays no attention to, or give any importance to ethnic background since as a family we have pretty much every background there is. Big whoop, who cares?

That said, we do have a term we use for those who enter our country illegally: Criminal

***SPRAYER
08-21-2009, 01:08 PM
It's what he does. D2112 said he's been banned from every other board he ever joined for the same shit (as always, thanks D2112 for the gift that keeps on giving 4321 ). He's probably working on getting banned from his next board as we speak. The guy is Archie Bunker with brain damage. I hope to God the plug stays pulled this time.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PAhu0suEHfU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PAhu0suEHfU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

dirk digler
08-21-2009, 01:09 PM
welcome back shtsprayer. Hopefully you can stay out of trouble this time

RJ
08-21-2009, 01:49 PM
FWIW, I have many times heard people of hispanic (usually Mexican) descent use the term in question when referring specifically to Mexicans, so apparently to them it's not racial at all. I usually hear it from guys who are losing work to illegals.

KC native
08-21-2009, 01:54 PM
FWIW, I have many times heard people of hispanic (usually Mexican) descent use the term in question when referring specifically to Mexicans, so apparently to them it's not racial at all. I usually hear it from guys who are losing work to illegals.

It can be. Racism exists in Mexico just as it does here. Lighter skiined Mexicans are prejuidiced against darker skinned ones. In fact if you go to certain parts of Northern Mexico or a place like Mexico City and you say to a lighter skinned Mexican that and darker (more native indian looking) Mexican is Mexican. It would not be uncommon to hear the lighter skiined Mexican say the darker person is not Mexican. If you press them on the issue and say yes they are, you will likely hear them say but "they aren't Mexican like me".

Also, look at Spanish Television. How many dark, indian looking people do you see on it?

RJ
08-21-2009, 02:00 PM
It can be. Racism exists in Mexico just as it does here. Lighter skiined Mexicans are prejuidiced against darker skinned ones. In fact if you go to certain parts of Northern Mexico or a place like Mexico City and you say to a lighter skinned Mexican that and darker (more native indian looking) Mexican is Mexican. It would not be uncommon to hear the lighter skiined Mexican say the darker person is not Mexican. If you press them on the issue and say yes they are, you will likely hear them say but "they aren't Mexican like me".

Also, look at Spanish Television. How many dark, indian looking people do you see on it?

I'm speaking of Americans born and bred who are talking about people here working illegally. It takes money out of their pockets and they are very resentful. They might be proud of their hispanic heritage but that doesn't mean they have to like the Mexicans who work cheaper than they could ever afford to.

patteeu
08-21-2009, 02:05 PM

Racism is everywhere. :rolleyes:

As Jonah Goldberg points out, you probably can't help it because it's just "what [you] do".

The great irony of the Obama presidency. (http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=OTRmYmJlMzc4ODc0ODk1ZGY0YWViNWE1NjFlZmNjNzc=)

By Jonah Goldberg

What if America transcended race, and Barack Obama wasn’t invited?

The question comes to mind as cries of racism grow ever louder among Obama’s supporters.

No one should be surprised. Fish gotta swim, birds gotta fly, liberal Democrats have to accuse their opponents of racism. Indeed, somewhat to their credit, fighting racism — alas, even where it doesn’t exist — is one of the reasons they became liberal Democrats in the first place.

And that’s the great irony of the Obama presidency. It was Obama’s supporters who hinted, teased, promised, and prophesied that Obama would help America “transcend race.” But now, it is they who shrink from their own promised land.

After all, it was not Obama’s detractors who immediately fell into the comfortable groove of racial grievance and familiar “narratives” when Henry Louis Gates insisted that a police instructor in racial sensitivity had to be a racist. That was Obama and his choir of heralds.

From Day 1, Obama’s supporters have tirelessly cultivated the idea that anything inconvenient for the first black president just might be terribly, terribly racist.

This was always the nasty side of Obama’s implied hope for unity. Obama gave oxygen to the idea that disagreement with him amounted to obstructing his mission to “transcend race.” During the campaign, that meant anyone who got in his way was wittingly or unwittingly abetting racism (just ask Bill Clinton). A writer for Slate insisted journalists must not call attention to the fact that Obama is “skinny.” Such observations fuel racism by highlighting his physical appearance, and that in turn might suddenly alert racist American voters to the fact that Obama is . . . wait for it . . . black.

Now that he’s president, if you question his tax policies, energy plans, or health-care ambitions, you are “hoping he will fail” — and that, with the help of roundabout reasoning, is tantamount to hoping we cannot transcend race.

Loading the deck in such a way is a gift of Obama’s. Time and again, he pre-empts dissent by claiming he’s open-minded, pragmatic, and non-ideological, and therefore if you disagree with him, you must be some sort of zealot.

His shock troops make the same argument about race, sometimes with sophistication, sometimes with the kind of lucid clarity only profound stupidity can provide. For instance, actress Janeane Garofalo summed up the tea parties thusly: “This is about hating a black man in the White House. This is racism straight up.”

A more sophisticated version comes from Princeton professor Melissa Harris-Lacewell, who finds racism in complaints that socialized medicine would result in fewer Americans “taking responsibility” for their own health care. “What we know over the past 25 years,” she told NPR, “is that language of personal responsibility is often a code language used against poor and minority communities.” In an ABC News story about how racist white militias are somehow connected to town-hall protests, Mark Potok of the dismayingly left-wing Southern Poverty Law Center insists Obama has “triggered fears among fairly large numbers of white people in this country that they are somehow losing their country.”

Two weeks ago, town hallers were supposed to be members of the Brooks Brothers brigade, Astroturf division. Now they’re well-armed anti-government militias. At this rate, they’ll soon be android ninjas with laser vision. Wait, strike that. They’ll be really racist android ninjas with laser vision.

Suddenly, if conservatives want to transcend race, we have to agree to massive increases in the size of government and socialized medicine.

That’s not transcending race, it’s using Obama’s race to bully the opposition into acquiescence. Actually transcending race would require treating Obama like any other president. Which is pretty much exactly what conservatives have been doing. Seriously, if Hillary Clinton were president, would conservatives really be rolling over for the same health-care plan because she’s white?

Sure, racists don’t like Obama. (In less shocking news, bears continue to use our national forests as toilets.) But that doesn’t mean everyone who dislikes Obama is therefore a racist.

What’s dismaying is how the press and Democrats are so desperate to obscure this point. The only notable political violence at a town hall was against a black man, roughed up by pro-Obama toughs. The assault weapon lawfully carried to a demonstration was carried by a black man. That supposedly racist poster depicting Obama as the Joker? (An LA Weekly writer fumed, “The only thing missing is a noose.”) That was created by a Palestinian-American supporter of left-wing garden gnome Dennis Kucinich. Whoops!

Never mind. They’ll keep trying until they find a scapegoat that works, because that is what they do.

KC native
08-21-2009, 02:08 PM
Racism is everywhere. :rolleyes:

As Jonah Goldberg points out, you probably can't help it because it's just "what [you] do".

The great irony of the Obama presidency. (http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=OTRmYmJlMzc4ODc0ODk1ZGY0YWViNWE1NjFlZmNjNzc=)

By Jonah Goldberg

What if America transcended race, and Barack Obama wasn’t invited?

The question comes to mind as cries of racism grow ever louder among Obama’s supporters.

No one should be surprised. Fish gotta swim, birds gotta fly, liberal Democrats have to accuse their opponents of racism. Indeed, somewhat to their credit, fighting racism — alas, even where it doesn’t exist — is one of the reasons they became liberal Democrats in the first place.

And that’s the great irony of the Obama presidency. It was Obama’s supporters who hinted, teased, promised, and prophesied that Obama would help America “transcend race.” But now, it is they who shrink from their own promised land.

After all, it was not Obama’s detractors who immediately fell into the comfortable groove of racial grievance and familiar “narratives” when Henry Louis Gates insisted that a police instructor in racial sensitivity had to be a racist. That was Obama and his choir of heralds.

From Day 1, Obama’s supporters have tirelessly cultivated the idea that anything inconvenient for the first black president just might be terribly, terribly racist.

This was always the nasty side of Obama’s implied hope for unity. Obama gave oxygen to the idea that disagreement with him amounted to obstructing his mission to “transcend race.” During the campaign, that meant anyone who got in his way was wittingly or unwittingly abetting racism (just ask Bill Clinton). A writer for Slate insisted journalists must not call attention to the fact that Obama is “skinny.” Such observations fuel racism by highlighting his physical appearance, and that in turn might suddenly alert racist American voters to the fact that Obama is . . . wait for it . . . black.

Now that he’s president, if you question his tax policies, energy plans, or health-care ambitions, you are “hoping he will fail” — and that, with the help of roundabout reasoning, is tantamount to hoping we cannot transcend race.

Loading the deck in such a way is a gift of Obama’s. Time and again, he pre-empts dissent by claiming he’s open-minded, pragmatic, and non-ideological, and therefore if you disagree with him, you must be some sort of zealot.

His shock troops make the same argument about race, sometimes with sophistication, sometimes with the kind of lucid clarity only profound stupidity can provide. For instance, actress Janeane Garofalo summed up the tea parties thusly: “This is about hating a black man in the White House. This is racism straight up.”

A more sophisticated version comes from Princeton professor Melissa Harris-Lacewell, who finds racism in complaints that socialized medicine would result in fewer Americans “taking responsibility” for their own health care. “What we know over the past 25 years,” she told NPR, “is that language of personal responsibility is often a code language used against poor and minority communities.” In an ABC News story about how racist white militias are somehow connected to town-hall protests, Mark Potok of the dismayingly left-wing Southern Poverty Law Center insists Obama has “triggered fears among fairly large numbers of white people in this country that they are somehow losing their country.”

Two weeks ago, town hallers were supposed to be members of the Brooks Brothers brigade, Astroturf division. Now they’re well-armed anti-government militias. At this rate, they’ll soon be android ninjas with laser vision. Wait, strike that. They’ll be really racist android ninjas with laser vision.

Suddenly, if conservatives want to transcend race, we have to agree to massive increases in the size of government and socialized medicine.

That’s not transcending race, it’s using Obama’s race to bully the opposition into acquiescence. Actually transcending race would require treating Obama like any other president. Which is pretty much exactly what conservatives have been doing. Seriously, if Hillary Clinton were president, would conservatives really be rolling over for the same health-care plan because she’s white?

Sure, racists don’t like Obama. (In less shocking news, bears continue to use our national forests as toilets.) But that doesn’t mean everyone who dislikes Obama is therefore a racist.

What’s dismaying is how the press and Democrats are so desperate to obscure this point. The only notable political violence at a town hall was against a black man, roughed up by pro-Obama toughs. The assault weapon lawfully carried to a demonstration was carried by a black man. That supposedly racist poster depicting Obama as the Joker? (An LA Weekly writer fumed, “The only thing missing is a noose.”) That was created by a Palestinian-American supporter of left-wing garden gnome Dennis Kucinich. Whoops!

Never mind. They’ll keep trying until they find a scapegoat that works, because that is what they do.

:spock:WTF does this have to do with the fact that there is racism in Mexico?

blaise
08-21-2009, 02:09 PM
Re: pats post- That's because when a lot of people claim they want racial dialogue and more racial progress what they really mean is they want everyone to sing the same song they sing and agree with everything they believe.
Otherwise they're still racist.

***SPRAYER
08-21-2009, 02:18 PM

Who gives a shit?

***SPRAYER
08-21-2009, 02:18 PM
Re: pats post- That's because when a lot of people claim they want racial dialogue and more racial progress what they really mean is they want everyone to sing the same song they sing and agree with everything they believe.
Otherwise they're still racist.

Exactly, they don't want to talk, they want to lecture.

Dallas Chief
08-21-2009, 03:05 PM
My family is Hispanic and they use the word "mojado" all the time. Not offensive to them at all. Look it up...
Posted via Mobile Device

RJ
08-21-2009, 03:24 PM
My family is Hispanic and they use the word "mojado" all the time. Not offensive to them at all. Look it up...
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, this is the sort of thing I'm talking about. My wife's family is Hispanic as are many friends and I also work with quite a few. Even the guys who are from Mexico - the ones here legally - don't show much love for illegals. It's financial, not racial.

Which isn't to say that these terms aren't used as racial insults. They are. It just depends on the context.

penchief
08-21-2009, 03:42 PM

That makes three of us because those are the same positions I've always taken.

***SPRAYER
08-21-2009, 06:48 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PAhu0suEHfU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PAhu0suEHfU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Frizbo ol' chum, where are you? Give me a kiss, you big freak!

Frazod
08-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Hi there, lowlife.

Keep being yourself, you'll be gone again in no time.

***SPRAYER
08-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Hi there, lowlife.

Keep being yourself, you'll be gone again in no time.

Godspeed, ol' chum!

J Diddy
08-21-2009, 07:16 PM

dictionary.com disagrees with you

"any people united by common history, language, cultural traits, etc.: the Dutch race. "

***SPRAYER
08-21-2009, 07:23 PM

"any people united by common history, language, cultural traits, etc.: the Dutch race. "

Awesome! Balkanize us, some more! Godspeed!

ClevelandBronco
08-21-2009, 08:10 PM

That explains all you anti-Slovene racist assholes.

I'll be letting you know very soon everything you have to say in order to prove that you're not bigoted pricks.

ClevelandBronco
08-21-2009, 08:19 PM
Awesome! Balkanize us, some more! Godspeed!

Hmm. Well, my grandfather and grandmother were a Balkan kind of couple.

"lahko noč"

***SPRAYER
08-21-2009, 08:38 PM
Hmm. Well, my grandfather and grandmother were a Balkan kind of couple.

"lahko noč"

I'm German from Germany, German from Russia (ethnic German) and Polish.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1-0c4lgvpb4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1-0c4lgvpb4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>