PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Bad economic news...

orange
08-18-2009, 07:42 PM
... for Republicans.

GM To Reinstate About 1,350 Workers Due To "Clunkers," Increased Demand
First Posted: 08-18-09 04:20 PM | Updated: 08-18-09 04:35 PM

DETROIT (AP) -- Higher sales, in part from the government's Cash for Clunkers program, are spurring General Motors Co. to boost production at several of its factories.

The automaker said Tuesday it will add 60,000 vehicles to its production in the third and mainly the fourth quarter. It will also bring back about 1,350 laid-off workers in the U.S. and Canada.

GM will add a shift to its CAMI factory in Ingersoll, Ontario, where the new Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain midsize crossover vehicles are made. The company's Lordstown, Ohio, assembly plant, where the Chevrolet Cobalt and Pontiac G5 are made, also will see additional shifts.

The Lordstown plant is now running at one shift for 10 hours per day from Monday through Thursday, but the company will add the next two Fridays to the schedule, said plant spokesman Tom Mock.

GM's plant in Orion Township, Michigan, which makes the Chevrolet Malibu and Pontiac G6 midsize sedans, also will see a production increase.

Production also may be boosted at other factories, including those that make the Chevrolet HHR small wagon, the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon midsize pickups, the Chevrolet Camaro muscle car, Buick LaCrosse sedan and the Cadillac SRX and CTS Wagon, GM said.

The Cobalt and Malibu has been popular with people trading in older less-efficient models under the clunkers program, which offers up to $4,500 to people to scrap vehicles with gas mileage of 18 mpg (7.6 kpl) or less.

At the end of July, GM had 70 days worth of Cobalts on dealer lots, according to Ward's AutoInfoBank. A 60-day supply is ideal to maintain a good selection for buyers without overstocking dealers.

But since the clunkers program began in late July, dealers have reported spot shortages of both vehicles.

At Randy Wise Buick-Pontiac-Chevrolet in Milan, Michigan, southwest of Detroit, there were 22 Cobalts and 26 Malibus on the lot before the clunkers rebates started, said Mark Jarrait, general sales manager. The dealership now has two Cobalts and four Malibus, and Jarrait has ordered more.

All of the sudden they disappeared," he said.

The Cobalt, GM's highest-mileage car at up to 37 mpg (16 kpl) on the highway, once was among the top 10 vehicles on the "cash for clunkers" purchase list. Dealers say shortages have bumped it from the top 10 list.

As of last week, the Toyota Corolla small car was the top new vehicle purchased by people trading in clunkers, followed by the Honda Civic and Ford Focus compacts. Toyota's midsize Camry was fourth, while its gas-electric hybrid Prius was fifth, according to the government.

Interest in Cash for Clunkers may be waning, though, according to the Edmunds.com automotive Web site, because many customers waiting to buy have made their moves and because inventories have dropped and prices have risen.

Inquiries on the Web site were down 15 percent last week from this year's peak in late July.

"Now that there is plenty of money in the program and the most eager shoppers have already participated, the sense of urgency is gone," Edmunds CEO Jeremy Anwyl said in a statement. "Inventories are getting lean and prices are climbing, giving consumers reasons to sit back."

Ford Motor Co., Honda Motor Co., Toyota Motor Corp., Hyundai Motor Co. and Chrysler Group LLC all have announced production increases due to the clunkers program.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/18/gm-to-reinstate-about-135_n_262420.html

RINGLEADER
08-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Critics would say that you're just building cars now that might have been bought over an extended period of time. But good for those that found work.

Saul Good
08-18-2009, 07:47 PM
That's great news for both sides of the aisle. That's 1,350 down and 6,000,000 to go.

banyon
08-18-2009, 07:50 PM
That's great news for both sides of the aisle. That's 1,350 down and 6,000,000 to go.

That's the real bad news. The other 5,998,000 jobs are being outsourced.

stevieray
08-18-2009, 07:52 PM
Lets' go tear down all the skyscrapers in KC, then rebuild them and call it a success

Saul Good
08-18-2009, 07:54 PM
That's the real bad news. The other 5,998,000 jobs are being outsourced.

Maybe Obama will create 3,500,000 jobs. Did he say anything about where they would be created?

Bearcat2005
08-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Is this real growth? I wonder how long these individuals will be employed, sorry not a fan of the Keyensian economic model. Too many opportunity costs with this picture.

BucEyedPea
08-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Yup, an artificial market since it's govt.

Bearcat2005
08-18-2009, 08:46 PM
Yup, an artificial market since it's govt.

Case and point the real estate market these past few years. Real sustainable growth... nope.

BucEyedPea
08-18-2009, 08:51 PM
Case and point the real estate market these past few years. Real sustainable growth... nope.

Exactly!

Bearcat2005
08-18-2009, 08:54 PM
Ah the days of old, only a few years ago was I taking basic economics. :)

banyon
08-18-2009, 09:37 PM
Is this real growth? I wonder how long these individuals will be employed, sorry not a fan of the Keyensian economic model. Too many opportunity costs with this picture.

Well, it hasn't been followed since the 30's so it's not as if this is a good example of it or something.

bluehawkdoc
08-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Yea, new cars are being bought and perfectly good used cars are being trashed. We have 1350 workers coming back and have decimated the used car market and their businesses. That's change I can believe in, yippee.:shake:

orange
08-18-2009, 10:05 PM
Yea, new cars are being bought and perfectly good used cars are being trashed. We have 1350 workers coming back and have decimated the used car market and their businesses. That's change I can believe in, yippee.:shake:

2009 Automotive Stimulus Program

The largest automotive retailers in the country have created the Auto Stimulus Plan to provide additional up to $4500 in incentives to consumers who qualify for Cash for Clunkers and to consumers that don’t qualify for the governments program.

To get pricing information complete the form to the right and a licensed dealer will contact you to provide the information on the vehicle you select.

Unlike the government funded program, all trade in vehicles 2006 or older are eligible and the Automotive Stimulus Plan incentives can be used towards the purchase of a pre-owned vehicle and a lease of any term. The specific Automotive Stimulus Plan incentives vary by the make and model of the vehicle you select and are offered in different forms in every state due to automotive advertising rules and regulations. To get pricing information you need to:

Submit a request for pricing information by completing the form on this website.
A participating dealer will contact you to schedule an appointment to evaluate your current vehicle.
Visit the dealership to select and purchase your new vehicle and all applicable incentives will be applied to your purchase or lease of a new or pre-owned vehicle.

All Auto Stimulus Plan incentives are in addition to the government incentive program for consumers are eligible. To get pricing information complete the form to the right and a licensed dealer will contact you to provide the information on the vehicle you select.

The program requirements are simple:

Current vehicle is a 2006 or older
Current vehicle is operable
Current vehicle has been owned and registered for a minimum of 6 months
The replacement vehicle has to be at least 2 mpg more fuel efficient
Incentives vary based on current vehicle and desired vehicle

Incentives vary by Make and Model of vehicle selected and by the state where you purchase your vehicle. Contact participating dealers for incentive information in your state. Incentives vary and are subject to all state laws as they relate to adherence automotive advertising and promotion.

To get pricing information complete the form (right) and a licensed dealer will contact you to provide the information on the vehicle you select.

If there is not a participating Auto Stimulus Plan dealer in your market we will have a licensed dealer who is not a participating dealer contact you to provide pricing information on the vehicle you select.

http://www.autostimulusplan.com/

Damned clever, these capitalists. If only the Right believed the lip-service they pay them. They might even figure out a way to sell Health Insurance even if there's a Public Option.

2bikemike
08-18-2009, 10:45 PM
Great news 1350 jobs reinstated at the cost of 3 billion dollars.:clap:

Hydrae
08-18-2009, 11:17 PM

C'mon, I was going to be generous and recognize that there would be a cascading effect for suppliers and the like as well. How about 3000 total jobs? That's only a mill a piece! ROFL

jjjayb
08-18-2009, 11:22 PM
And my dealership has yet to be paid on even one of these cash for clunkers cars. :shake:

Hydrae
08-18-2009, 11:26 PM
And my dealership has yet to be paid on even one of these cash for clunkers cars. :shake:

Oh yeah, I heard that Obama wanted 1000 people hired to expedite that process and help clear out the backlog. Anyone want a job for 3 months?

chiefzilla1501
08-18-2009, 11:33 PM
You're assuming that this sort of job creation couldn't have been done by GM naturally filing for bankruptcy and firing their CEO... without the heavy bill paid by the taxpayers.

googlegoogle
08-19-2009, 12:17 AM
Just a form of thievery.

Chiefshrink
08-19-2009, 12:52 AM
Cash for clunkers = "Robbing Peter to pay Paul"

Guru
08-19-2009, 12:54 AM
Have the dealers really not been paid yet?

jiveturkey
08-19-2009, 07:26 AM
Oh yeah, I heard that Obama wanted 1000 people hired to expedite that process and help clear out the backlog. Anyone want a job for 3 months?Most of the jobs that I take are between 3 and 6 months in length.

I wouldn't want this one but I'm sure that there are plenty of people that would love a 3 month contract right now.

jjjayb
08-19-2009, 07:58 AM

Mine hasn't. In fact, one dealer who was supposed to be paid 3500 got short paid because the customer owed taxes. :eek: How the heck is that the dealers fault?

Brock
08-19-2009, 08:58 AM
OMG we "decimated" the used car market. ROFL

RINGLEADER
08-19-2009, 09:01 AM
Mine hasn't. In fact, one dealer who was supposed to be paid 3500 got short paid because the customer owed taxes. :eek: How the heck is that the dealers fault?

Your government at work.

BucEyedPea
08-19-2009, 09:19 AM
OMG we "decimated" the used car market. ROFL

It read it did hurt used car parts industry; that in one state it created a shortage.

Velvet_Jones
08-19-2009, 09:19 AM
Ah the days of old, only a few years ago was I taking basic economics. :)

You should have taken an english course.

BucEyedPea
08-19-2009, 09:23 AM

Yup! It's called using false statistics. The left loves these falsehoods including propaganda by redefinition of words. Because they prefer to pretend they can create a utopia where there own reality is made.

So let's look at this is what is really happening:

It's production and exchange that drives an economy. Production is not make-work programs nor is it handing cash to people to channel buying in certain areas. Production is making things people want that they are willing to exchange their dollars for ON their own. If you're just creating busy activity without it being driven by what people are willing to exchange their dollars for on their own....then it's just wasted activity. It's not a real statistic measuring true production of the real economy. ( real players operating on their own choices.) These stats disguise reality for a false sense of security or utopia.

Or simply it's BS!

Velvet_Jones
08-19-2009, 09:24 AM

Thats only 2.2 million dollars per job.

Brock
08-19-2009, 09:25 AM
It read it did hurt used car parts industry; that in one state it created a shortage.

The auto parts stores were full this weekend.

Radar Chief
08-19-2009, 09:25 AM

Thus forcing people to buy newer cars from Government Motors. It’s trickle down communism. ;)

BucEyedPea
08-19-2009, 09:26 AM
Thats only 2.2 million dollars per job.

ROFL ROFL

But it's utopia!

BucEyedPea
08-19-2009, 09:27 AM
The auto parts stores were full this weekend.
Used parts?

I read it was in a particular state there were shortages of "used" car parts.

Just looked it up again:
Clunker Plan crushes Oklahoma used part's supplies

The government’s Cash for Clunkers program has left some auto salvage yard owners angry and confused. They said it could cut back the supply of used cars and used car parts.

According to cars.gov, the government’s official Web site on the CARS Act, the program requires trade-in vehicles be crushed or shredded so they will not be resold for use in the U.S. or elsewhere. Those responsible for crushing or shredding vehicles can sell some parts, but those parts cannot include the engine or drive train.

Tim Huskey, owner of Cars and Parts by Tim Inc. in Guthrie, is outraged over the federal program.

“This doesn’t make smart recycling sense, adding more cars to be crushed,” he said. “This is taking away from a man who needs to buy an engine for an older car that he can now get for around $700 and installed for another $500.”

The government’s Cash for Clunkers program has left some auto salvage yard owners angry and confused.
http://newsok.com/clunker-plan-crushes-used-parts-supplies/article/3391664?custom_click=lead_story_title

KC native
08-19-2009, 09:50 AM
Yup! It's called using false statistics. The left loves these falsehoods including propaganda by redefinition of words. Because they prefer to pretend they can create a utopia where there own reality is made.

So let's look at this is what is really happening:

It's production and exchange that drives an economy. Production is not make-work programs nor is it handing cash to people to channel buying in certain areas. Production is making things people want that they are willing to exchange their dollars for ON their own. If you're just creating busy activity without it being driven by what people are willing to exchange their dollars for on their own....then it's just wasted activity. It's not a real statistic measuring true production of the real economy. ( real players operating on their own choices.) These stats disguise reality for a false sense of security or utopia.

Or simply it's BS!

LMAO False statistics? I know you won't ever answer this but how are they fake? They may not measure what you think they do or you might not understand what they mean but that doesn't make the false.

BTW, how's your malls indicator doing? Are they still full? Do you factor in the empty stores in the malls or is it just dependent on people shuffling in while you're there?

KC native
08-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Used parts?

I read it was in a particular state there were shortages of "used" car parts.

Just looked it up again:
Clunker Plan crushes Oklahoma used part's supplies

The government’s Cash for Clunkers program has left some auto salvage yard owners angry and confused.
http://newsok.com/clunker-plan-crushes-used-parts-supplies/article/3391664?custom_click=lead_story_title

Hooray for anecdotal "I know a guy who..." evidence like this. JFC give it a rest. You don't know shit about economics.

Radar Chief
08-19-2009, 09:56 AM
Hooray for anecdotal "I know a guy who..." evidence like this. JFC give it a rest. You don't know shit about economics.

:LOL: That’ll get it started.

BucEyedPea
08-19-2009, 10:17 AM
:LOL: That’ll get it started.

Nope he's on ignore for a reason. He's an arrogant asshole who thinks there's only one school of economics. Keyenesian economics that is.

Chief Henry
08-19-2009, 10:55 AM
Your government at work.

Orange thinks its working perfectly...go figure :rolleyes:

Brock
08-19-2009, 10:56 AM
At the end of July, GM had 70 days worth of Cobalts on dealer lots, according to Ward's AutoInfoBank. A 60-day supply is ideal to maintain a good selection for buyers without overstocking dealers.

But since the clunkers program began in late July, dealers have reported spot shortages of both vehicles.

At Randy Wise Buick-Pontiac-Chevrolet in Milan, Michigan, southwest of Detroit, there were 22 Cobalts and 26 Malibus on the lot before the clunkers rebates started, said Mark Jarrait, general sales manager. The dealership now has two Cobalts and four Malibus, and Jarrait has ordered more.

All of the sudden they disappeared," he said.

The Cobalt, GM's highest-mileage car at up to 37 mpg (16 kpl) on the highway, once was among the top 10 vehicles on the "cash for clunkers" purchase list. Dealers say shortages have bumped it from the top 10 list.

GM continues to be run by idiots.

blaise
08-19-2009, 10:59 AM
And with this news whatever debate there was over whether Obama's policies are working is over.

Just like that.

KC native
08-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Nope he's on ignore for a reason. He's an arrogant asshole who thinks there's only one school of economics. Keyenesian economics that is.

Again, you don't know what the fuck you are talking about. I'm not a Keynesian. I'm not a pure anything when it comes to economics. Just about every school has made a positive contribution in some way. The key is to blend these schools and have a balanced view.

orange
08-19-2009, 11:49 AM

And I suppose you haven't seen one dime from the BUYERS, either. :rolleyes:

If so, I wonder how long you're going to stay in business with chimps running things.

blaise
08-19-2009, 11:50 AM
And I suppose you haven't seen one dime from the BUYERS, either. :rolleyes:

If so, I wonder how long you're going to stay in business with chimps running things.

Are you talking about the Democrats?

Dave Lane
08-19-2009, 11:52 AM

Are you kidding? Real Estate had a huge boom that employed millions. Now with the bloom off the rose and banks sphincters puckered so tight you can't pull a needle out of it with a team of oxen, real estate still is one of the main drivers of the economy. Yep you did your homework on this one...

Dave Lane
08-19-2009, 11:57 AM

They tell that to their employees...

Calcountry
08-19-2009, 12:00 PM
That's the real bad news. The other 5,998,000 jobs are being outsourced.Obama thought window on/ SWEET! That's 5,998,000 more dependents that the state gets to control.

Calcountry
08-19-2009, 12:01 PM
GM continues to be run by idiots.The government, I agree.

KC Dan
08-19-2009, 12:01 PM
They tell that to their employees...As usual, the hatred against all things "corporate" rear their ugly head. Even the administration is acknowledging they haven't paid the dealers. But, don't let the truth get in your way.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i_J2CDMBIZhobnHhGIYFCzqvR52wD9A62QP80

WASHINGTON — Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood assured car dealers Wednesday that they will be reimbursed for the popular Cash for Clunkers program, responding to complaints over a backlog of rebate payments.

"I know dealers are frustrated. They're going to get their money," LaHood told reporters. He said the Obama administration would soon announce how much longer the $3 billion car incentive program will last.

Calcountry
08-19-2009, 12:03 PM
LMAO False statistics? I know you won't ever answer this but how are they fake? They may not measure what you think they do or you might not understand what they mean but that doesn't make the false.

BTW, how's your malls indicator doing? Are they still full? Do you factor in the empty stores in the malls or is it just dependent on people shuffling in while you're there?You know, it is going to be a real lonely position for you, when you are the last guy defending this piece of shit we have in the white house.

Brock
08-19-2009, 12:07 PM
The government, I agree.

It was run by idiots long before that.

Calcountry
08-19-2009, 12:09 PM
It was run by idiots long before that.That is why the company deserved to be punished, and forced into bankruptcy. You don't bail out idiocy.

Calcountry
08-19-2009, 12:12 PM
Again, you don't know what the **** you are talking about. I'm not a Keynesian. I'm not a pure anything when it comes to economics. Just about every school has made a positive contribution in some way. The key is to blend these schools and have a balanced view.Economic thought is very similar to religion, much of the basis for each school is accepted by all schools. They are in a paradigm of mainstream thinkers. They will never all get along, because they are all right in their own thinking and minds. The debate will go on, in order to make a more perfect economic system, that is what economists do.

KC native
08-19-2009, 12:12 PM
You know, it is going to be a real lonely position for you, when you are the last guy defending this piece of shit we have in the white house.

Not at all because I haven't been defending him on this. All cash for clunkers does is pull sales forward. The auto makers will see a bump during the program but afterwards their sales will likely be below trend due to pulling the sales forward.

orange
08-19-2009, 12:45 PM
Colorado Auto Dealers president would turbo-charge Cash for Clunkers
By John Tomasic 8/10/09 4:19 PM

Cash for Clunkers has been rundown by teabaggers opposing health reform as an example of federal management incompetence. But the program has a lot of fans. In addition to the thousands of consumers who took advantage of the Cash for Clunkers auto trade-in deal, the Economic Policy Institute reports this week that the program has been a boon to consumption in the recession economy and a boon as well for the environment, moving gas guzzlers off the roads. The New York Times likewise did “clunker calculus” this weekend and found the benefits inescapable.

Today, Tim Jackson, president of the Colorado Automobile Dealers Association, sent around an op-ed to state media outlets offering unmitigated praise for the program.

Jackson doesn’t have a political dog in this fight, he told the Colorado Independent in a recent interview. He just likes Cash for Clunkers. He said he went to the “historic” DNC but that he “doesn’t fall neatly into the Obama crowd per se.”

“I just support his leadership in making this program happen.”

He said people second-guessing the program believe these cars would have been sold anyway. He has a different take.

“They believe we were pulling sales forward, as we say in the industry, selling cars now that we would have sold in the fall… There’s no way to know for sure, but I think maybe we were making up for lost sales.”

Jackson points to the drop off in consumer confidence that marked December through March.

“Confidence was at an all-time low, and cars are a big ticket item. If you don’t have [confidence], you don’t make that purchase. People started buying again. I see this program as the trigger for that.”

On the ground at a dealership the message was clear.

“The program went into effect two weeks ago. It started Friday, July 24th, at 5 a.m. on the East Coast. Dealers here in Colorado started selling cars under the program that afternoon. The program funding just about didn’t make it out of the first week.”

If he were king for a day, Jackson said, he would take the program even further. The stimulus benefits are clear but the ancillary benefits have been underplayed.

Removing “brown cloud” air-borne particulates, the kind of tail-pipe emissions that affect the ozone layer and exacerbate asthma, is a relatively simple formula, Jackson said. Removing merely 150 “high-emitter” vehicles– cars 15 years old or more– would take Denver out of the EPA failing category on “brown cloud” into the passing category.

“Now imagine if we took 5,000 of those clunkers, if you will, out of circulation. The problem with the program is: Why stop at 1984? If you take one 20-year-old car off the road, that is equal to taking new cars– cars in the showroom today– it’s like taking 100 of those new cars off the road. Cash for Clunkers offers the trade-in money for vehicles 10 to 25 years old. Why not 35-year-old cars? They’re even worse.

“When one of those is in front of you on the street and the light turns green, you’re going to hold back as that exhaust pours out. The public policy ramifications of getting those [cars] off the road are enormous.”

An excerpt from Jackson’s op-ed:

Coming during the longest and most severe downturn in automobile industry history, [Cash for Clunkers] was just what the economy needed in order to stem the tide of massive job losses and start turning the corner toward positive results.

Nationally, about 900 franchised dealerships closed in 2008, reducing the U.S. total to about 19,000. Another 1,100 dealerships are expected to close in 2009. Closer to home, five Colorado dealerships closed in 2008 and 19 dealerships in the state have already closed so far this year.

The challenge facing the auto industry is not just an issue for traditional manufacturing states like Michigan.

According to an analysis of the economic impact of new vehicle dealers on Colorado in 2007:

• The automobile retailing industry generated a total of nearly 30,000 jobs in the state, with the average dealership providing jobs for 73 people.

• Colorado residents earned more than $1.5 billion as a result of automobile dealership operations.

• Colorado automobile dealers (through taxes collected or paid) generated more than $418 million in revenue for the state and local governments. In fact, sales of new and used cars, as well as parts and service, are the single largest source of sales tax revenue for almost every state, city and county government nationally.

• Colorado dealerships contributed over $6.1 million to charitable causes.

The program is designed specifically to get drivers into more fuel efficient vehicles and it is working. A U.S. transportation department analysis shows that through Aug. 1, cars sold under the program averaged 25.4 miles per gallon, a 61 percent increase over the 15.8 mpg average of the trade-ins, according to Automotive News.

Besides saving drivers money at the pump, that means that the nation is becoming less dependent on foreign oil.

http://coloradoindependent.com/35247/colorado-auto-dealers-president-would-turbo-charge-cash-for-clunkers#more-35247

blaise
08-19-2009, 12:48 PM
Well, that does it. Obama wins. Put him on Mt Rushmore.

orange
08-19-2009, 12:49 PM
I point out the date there in answer to the "we haven't been reimbursed" issue.

They didn't have the manpower ready to process 435,000 claims in the first four weeks?! Knock me over with a feather.

memyselfI
08-19-2009, 12:54 PM
So Lite is being credited for saving the economy based on government generated welfare payments being used to buy cars?

Ok, where do I get my welfare payment for buying a new house as a non-first time home buyer? What about a flat screen tv welfare payment? I'd like a boat to go with that new house. I could use some botox on the forehead. I'd also like my kids to get a welfare check to go to college.

Shit, with this type of government assistance you bet I'd be willing to partake in their 'recovery.' :rolleyes:

Rooster
08-19-2009, 01:03 PM
GM continues to be run by idiots.

GM and this country. :(

Radar Chief
08-19-2009, 01:17 PM
Again, you don't know what the **** you are talking about. I'm not a Keynesian. I'm not a pure anything when it comes to economics. Just about every school has made a positive contribution in some way. The key is to blend these schools and have a balanced view.

Did you see that BEP? He said you’re full of shit. :eek: Are you going to put up with that? :Poke:

Hydrae
08-19-2009, 01:21 PM

Cash for Clunkers has been rundown by teabaggers opposing health reform as an example of federal management incompetence. But the program has a lot of fans. In addition to the thousands of consumers who took advantage of the Cash for Clunkers auto trade-in deal, the Economic Policy Institute reports this week that the program has been a boon to consumption in the recession economy and a boon as well for the environment, moving gas guzzlers off the roads. The New York Times likewise did “clunker calculus” this weekend and found the benefits inescapable.

Today, Tim Jackson, president of the Colorado Automobile Dealers Association, sent around an op-ed to state media outlets offering unmitigated praise for the program.

Jackson doesn’t have a political dog in this fight, he told the Colorado Independent in a recent interview. He just likes Cash for Clunkers. He said he went to the “historic” DNC but that he “doesn’t fall neatly into the Obama crowd per se.”

He said people second-guessing the program believe these cars would have been sold anyway. He has a different take.

“They believe we were pulling sales forward, as we say in the industry, selling cars now that we would have sold in the fall… There’s no way to know for sure, but I think maybe we were making up for lost sales.”

Jackson points to the drop off in consumer confidence that marked December through March.

“Confidence was at an all-time low, and cars are a big ticket item. If you don’t have [confidence], you don’t make that purchase. People started buying again. I see this program as the trigger for that.”

“The program went into effect two weeks ago. It started Friday, July 24th, at 5 a.m. on the East Coast. Dealers here in Colorado started selling cars under the program that afternoon. The program funding just about didn’t make it out of the first week.”

If he were king for a day, Jackson said, he would take the program even further. The stimulus benefits are clear but the ancillary benefits have been underplayed.

Removing “brown cloud” air-borne particulates, the kind of tail-pipe emissions that affect the ozone layer and exacerbate asthma, is a relatively simple formula, Jackson said. Removing merely 150 “high-emitter” vehicles– cars 15 years old or more– would take Denver out of the EPA failing category on “brown cloud” into the passing category.

“Now imagine if we took 5,000 of those clunkers, if you will, out of circulation. The problem with the program is: Why stop at 1984? If you take one 20-year-old car off the road, that is equal to taking new cars– cars in the showroom today– it’s like taking 100 of those new cars off the road. Cash for Clunkers offers the trade-in money for vehicles 10 to 25 years old. Why not 35-year-old cars? They’re even worse.

“When one of those is in front of you on the street and the light turns green, you’re going to hold back as that exhaust pours out. The public policy ramifications of getting those [cars] off the road are enormous.”

Coming during the longest and most severe downturn in automobile industry history, [Cash for Clunkers] was just what the economy needed in order to stem the tide of massive job losses and start turning the corner toward positive results.

Nationally, about 900 franchised dealerships closed in 2008, reducing the U.S. total to about 19,000. Another 1,100 dealerships are expected to close in 2009. Closer to home, five Colorado dealerships closed in 2008 and 19 dealerships in the state have already closed so far this year.

The challenge facing the auto industry is not just an issue for traditional manufacturing states like Michigan.

According to an analysis of the economic impact of new vehicle dealers on Colorado in 2007:

• The automobile retailing industry generated a total of nearly 30,000 jobs in the state, with the average dealership providing jobs for 73 people.

• Colorado residents earned more than $1.5 billion as a result of automobile dealership operations.

• Colorado automobile dealers (through taxes collected or paid) generated more than $418 million in revenue for the state and local governments. In fact, sales of new and used cars, as well as parts and service, are the single largest source of sales tax revenue for almost every state, city and county government nationally.

The program is designed specifically to get drivers into more fuel efficient vehicles and it is working. A U.S. transportation department analysis shows that through Aug. 1, cars sold under the program averaged 25.4 miles per gallon, a 61 percent increase over the 15.8 mpg average of the trade-ins, according to Automotive News.

Besides saving drivers money at the pump, that means that the nation is becoming less dependent on foreign oil.

http://coloradoindependent.com/35247/colorado-auto-dealers-president-would-turbo-charge-cash-for-clunkers#more-35247

I think it is interesting that he is not talking about the increased gas mileage, he is talking about pollution control. What is interesting about it is that here in Austin we are also on the list of bad air places by the EPA. So we have a state program to deal with it by helping to repair vehicles that have emission issues. I will be picking up my 2001 Mazda MPV from the mechanic this afternoon after the state put their money where their mouth is and helped pay $525 to take care of an emission issue that was keeping my car from passing the state inspection. There was no need to replace the car or to put me in a position of having to buy a new car and it is costing much less money.

KC native
08-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Did you see that BEP? He said you’re full of shit. :eek: Are you going to put up with that? :Poke:

ROFL I don't think I need your help with poking the bear. I seem to do fine on my own. :D

Radar Chief
08-19-2009, 01:43 PM
ROFL I don't think I need your help with poking the bear. I seem to do fine on my own. :D

If she truly has you on ignore, not the fake ignore where she intermittently responds, she won’t see your posts unless someone else quotes them. I’m just trying to help. :D

KC Dan
08-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Did anyone here really read past this quote from Orange's article? Really...

"Cash for Clunkers has been rundown by teabaggers"

I'm sure the rest of the article was totally unbiased....

orange
08-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Did anyone here really read past this quote from Orange's article? Really...

"Cash for Clunkers has been rundown by teabaggers"

I'm sure the rest of the article was totally unbiased....

That's Tomassic the editorialist. I couldn't find the actual op-ed by Tim Jackson anywhere, but keep in mind it was by a DIFFERENT person.

Feel free to check out the "Economic Policy Institute reports" and "The New York Times “clunker calculus”" he links in his article if you think Tomassic is lying.

KC Dan
08-19-2009, 02:04 PM
That's Tomassic the editorialist. I couldn't find the actual op-ed by Tim Jackson anywhere, but keep in mind it was by a DIFFERENT person.I'm messing with you because this time, you actually quoted a non-huffingtonpost article and I was surprised. Though, one not influenced by a biased viewpoint.. :D

ROYC75
08-19-2009, 03:49 PM
I wish the Dems and Liberals would just piss in their Huggies so the diaper industry will increase new jobs.

Saul Good
08-19-2009, 05:02 PM

Are you really pointing to the fact that the industry receiving all of the money from the plan likes the plan as evidence that it's a good plan?

I think you should give me all of your money. It's a great plan. If you need proof, just ask me what I think of the plan after I get all the cash.

Halfcan
08-19-2009, 05:06 PM
I am opening another restaurant soon-so I hope this shit turns around.

Saul Good
08-19-2009, 05:14 PM
I am opening another restaurant soon-so I hope this shit turns around.

You could really benefit from my Steaks for Hotdogs proposal.

Calcountry
08-19-2009, 06:01 PM
I am opening another restaurant soon-so I hope this shit turns around.I would put that

off as long as possible, and use the captial to make your other operations as sound as possible.

Why shoot for marginal dollars, they will just be taxed away at a higher rate?

You dont' want to create any jobs now do you?

banyon
08-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Again, you don't know what the **** you are talking about. I'm not a Keynesian. I'm not a pure anything when it comes to economics. Just about every school has made a positive contribution in some way. The key is to blend these schools and have a balanced view.

Anyone that does not agree her ideas, no matter how nutty or insubstantial they may be, must be immediately pejoratively labeled and branded as the most ideologically opposite view of her own.

KC native
08-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Anyone that does not agree her ideas, no matter how nutty or insubstantial they may be, must be immediately pejoratively labeled and branded as the most ideologically opposite view of her own.

Yes I know. I like fucking with BEP. I think the fake ignore thing is hilarious.

Guru
08-19-2009, 10:37 PM
Mine hasn't. In fact, one dealer who was supposed to be paid 3500 got short paid because the customer owed taxes. :eek: How the heck is that the dealers fault?What the hell!!!!:eek: This administration is insane.

BucEyedPea
08-20-2009, 07:45 AM
Someone got shortchanged? LMAO That's what they get for trusting the govt and trying to milk taxpayers instead of finding a way to make their products desireable enough to move them off their lots.

Karma's a bitch!

blaise
08-20-2009, 07:47 AM
Obama's $250,000 date stimulated the economy of some NYC restaurants and theatres.

Iowanian
08-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Great.

Its so awesome that the Obamanipitent One was able to save those Canadian jobs.

***SPRAYER
09-04-2009, 08:28 AM
employers will do everything they can not to hire people when they realize that a Democratic Congress controlled by the most left-wing of its members, a President who is anti-free enterprise, and government regulatory agencies increasingly being sold to AFL-CIO and SEIU leaders has been and will be targeting them (instead of , let's say terrorists and thugs like Hugo Chavez).

http://www.americanthinker.com

Otter
09-04-2009, 08:36 AM

Pretty much sums it up.

alpha_omega
09-04-2009, 08:38 AM
At least there are a handful of people getting their jobs back.

Have the car dealers been paid their 4500 per car yet?

***SPRAYER
09-04-2009, 08:40 AM
At least there are a handful of people getting their jobs back.

Have the car dealers been paid their 4500 per car yet?

17% have as of this morning.

:thumb:

alpha_omega
09-04-2009, 08:42 AM
I point out the date there in answer to the "we haven't been reimbursed" issue.

They didn't have the manpower ready to process 435,000 claims in the first four weeks?! Knock me over with a feather.

Shouldn't they have anticipated that there would be some paperwork...before handing out taxpayer $$$?

Bwana
09-04-2009, 09:50 AM
Yeah, GM is a GREAT company. The Useless bastards get bailed out with American money, drop their contract with an American mine for their palladium and now obtain it from Russia and South Africa. Sorry, but fuk GM.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/montana/article_ae807c4a-8c61-11de-803e-001cc4c03286.html

ChiTown
09-04-2009, 10:03 AM
http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUSTRE5833WL20090904

Double-dip recession risk rising: El-Erian
Fri Sep 4, 2009 11:37am EDT

By Jennifer Ablan

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Mohamed El-Erian, the chief executive of top bond fund PIMCO, said in an interview on Friday the risk of stalled economic growth in 2010 is increasing, given a still-weak labor market.

While there are signs that economic recovery is taking shape, a soft job market and flat incomes could hinder a sustained recovery, El-Erian told Reuters after the release of the latest U.S. unemployment figures.

The Labor Department said the pace of U.S. job losses slowed in August, with employers cutting 216,000 jobs from payrolls, fewer than forecast, after a 276,000 drop in July. But the unemployment rate jumped to 9.7 percent from 9.4 percent.

"The risk of a double dip for U.S. economic growth in 2010 is increasing," said El-Erian, who oversees $850 billion in assets for Pacific Investment Management Co, also known as PIMCO.

"This challenges equity markets that are currently pricing a V-like recovery in corporate revenues and credit availability."

The summer rally in equity markets and lower-quality bonds has outpaced what is warranted on the basis of forward-looking indicators for demand, revenue, profits and credit flows, El-Erian added.

The first week of September began in the red for U.S. stocks as major indices dropped on Tuesday and never quite recovered. In late morning trade on Friday, the Standard & Poor's 500 added 0.3 percent to stay above the key 1,000 level.

JOBS KEY TO SOLID RECOVERY

El-Erian said that especially with the drying-up in credit, employment and wages are the key to a sustainable recovery. The payroll data Friday confirmed that the transition from the boost from government stimulus and replenished inventories to an increase in consumer and corporate demand is "far from assured."

"The unemployment rate is heading to 10 percent by the end of 2009 and, unfortunately, will stay at high levels for an unusually prolonged time," he said. "The implications of a stubbornly high unemployment rate go well beyond economics as there are also important political and social dimensions."

With a history of very flexible and responsive labor markets, the United States does not have sufficiently broad safety nets to deal well with high unemployment, El-Erian said.

(Reporting by Jennifer Ablan; Editing by Jeffrey Benkoe)

Inspector
09-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Well, at least the President used his own money to help out the auto industry.

He wasn't dumb enough to use money that belongs to the citizens to hand to other citizens. He knows that wouldn't do anything good.

I just never realized how rich he is. Wow.

***SPRAYER
09-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Well, at least the President used his own money to help out the auto industry.

He wasn't dumb enough to use money that belongs to the citizens to hand to other citizens. He knows that wouldn't do anything good.

I just never realized how rich he is. Wow.

I like you.
ROFL

Inspector
09-04-2009, 10:34 AM
I like you.
ROFL

I used to get in trouble for being a smartass when I was a kid.

I don't get it.:D

Chief Henry
09-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Yeah, GM is a GREAT company. The Useless bastards get bailed out with American money, drop their contract with an American mine for their palladium and now obtain it from Russia and South Africa. Sorry, but fuk GM.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/montana/article_ae807c4a-8c61-11de-803e-001cc4c03286.html

Thanks Obama

Chief Henry
09-04-2009, 10:41 AM
http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUSTRE5833WL20090904

Double-dip recession risk rising: El-Erian
Fri Sep 4, 2009 11:37am EDT

By Jennifer Ablan

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Mohamed El-Erian, the chief executive of top bond fund PIMCO, said in an interview on Friday the risk of stalled economic growth in 2010 is increasing, given a still-weak labor market.

While there are signs that economic recovery is taking shape, a soft job market and flat incomes could hinder a sustained recovery, El-Erian told Reuters after the release of the latest U.S. unemployment figures.

The Labor Department said the pace of U.S. job losses slowed in August, with employers cutting 216,000 jobs from payrolls, fewer than forecast, after a 276,000 drop in July. But the unemployment rate jumped to 9.7 percent from 9.4 percent.
"The risk of a double dip for U.S. economic growth in 2010 is increasing," said El-Erian, who oversees $850 billion in assets for Pacific Investment Management Co, also known as PIMCO.

"This challenges equity markets that are currently pricing a V-like recovery in corporate revenues and credit availability."

The summer rally in equity markets and lower-quality bonds has outpaced what is warranted on the basis of forward-looking indicators for demand, revenue, profits and credit flows, El-Erian added.
The first week of September began in the red for U.S. stocks as major indices dropped on Tuesday and never quite recovered. In late morning trade on Friday, the Standard & Poor's 500 added 0.3 percent to stay above the key 1,000 level.

JOBS KEY TO SOLID RECOVERY

El-Erian said that especially with the drying-up in credit, employment and wages are the key to a sustainable recovery. The payroll data Friday confirmed that the transition from the boost from government stimulus and replenished inventories to an increase in consumer and corporate demand is "far from assured."

"The unemployment rate is heading to 10 percent by the end of 2009 and, unfortunately, will stay at high levels for an unusually prolonged time," he said. "The implications of a stubbornly high unemployment rate go well beyond economics as there are also important political and social dimensions."
With a history of very flexible and responsive labor markets, the United States does not have sufficiently broad safety nets to deal well with high unemployment, El-Erian said.

(Reporting by Jennifer Ablan; Editing by Jeffrey Benkoe)

Be very careful with your money Planeteers. This guy gives you some serious advice here.