PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues How Does Obamacare Save Money?

RINGLEADER
08-19-2009, 09:38 AM
Obama frequently says that his plan will pay for itself through new taxes on the rich and small businesses (for around a third of the cost) and the rest comes through "cost savings". Has he ever detailed what these cost savings are and has he demonstrated how they will be achieved. I ask because the CBO says the plan will likely save a meager amount (their estimate was a couple billion dollars out of a trillion dollars).

If the majority of the plan is paid for through cost savings what happens if the CBO is correct and no real cost savings materializes? How do we fill that $650 billion hole?

Velvet_Jones
08-19-2009, 09:40 AM
Magic?

Donger
08-19-2009, 09:40 AM
Obama frequently says that his plan will pay for itself through new taxes on the rich and small businesses (for around a third of the cost) and the rest comes through "cost savings". Has he ever detailed what these cost savings are and has he demonstrated how they will be achieved. I ask because the CBO says the plan will likely save a meager amount (their estimate was a couple billion dollars out of a trillion dollars).

If the majority of the plan is paid for through cost savings what happens if the CBO is correct and no real cost savings materializes? How do we fill that $650 billion hole?

I think one of the biggest ways he's going to save is through digitization of records, and stuff.

RINGLEADER
08-19-2009, 09:41 AM
I think one of the biggest ways he's going to save is through digitization of records, and stuff.

That must be the $2 billion the CBO found in their independent analysis...

BucEyedPea
08-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Of course he hasn't detailed these savings because he can't. No man can predict such a thing because the market is too complex for one man to figure it all out.

Just going by past track records of the govt on promises to curtail costs....well they are wrong nearly ALL the time if not ALL the time. Just look at all it's projections on anything the govt undertakes. Education, medicaid, medicare, ss ...you name it. The costs have always soared. This is also true for why health care costs have skyrockted today as well.

Some people NEVER learn. The left is completely delusional on this stuff. They should really be called the "something for nothign" crowd. They're as greedy as the people they rail against.

Donger
08-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Does anyone really think that the Democrats and Obama actually believe that they will be able to deliver better health care, to more people, while lowering costs?

Heck, I doubt that any Obama followers here actually believe that.

BucEyedPea
08-19-2009, 09:46 AM
Does anyone really think that the Democrats and Obama actually believe that they will be able to deliver better health care, to more people, while lowering costs?

Only those living in a deep delusion do. So yes. Some are on this board.

wild1
08-19-2009, 09:46 AM

Yes, he will. Through hope. And change.

RINGLEADER
08-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Of course he hasn't detailed these savings because he can't. No man can predict such a thing because the market is too complex for one man to figure it all out.

Just going by past track records of the govt on promises to curtail costs....well they are wrong nearly ALL the time if not ALL the time. Just look at all it's projections on anything the govt undertakes. Education, medicaid, medicare, ss ...you name it. The costs have always soared. This is also true for why health care costs have skyrockted today as well.

Some people NEVER learn. The left is completely delusional on this stuff. They should really be called the "something for nothign" crowd. They're as greedy as the people they rail against.

Considering many libs turn to Cuba as an example of a model society I guess no one should really be surprised....

BucEyedPea
08-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Considering many libs turn to Cuba as an example of a model society I guess no one should really be surprised....

Yeah, and speaking about Cuba....I was looking into the terrible statistics about American health care placing us low in infant mortality. Lo and behold it's another false and skewed statistic.

From: Cuba's Healthcare: A Model for the US per CNN (http://www.lewrockwell.com/fontova/fontova76.1.html)

And indeed, according to UN figures, Cuba's current infant mortality rate places her 44th from the top in worldwide ranking, right next to Canada (the lower the rate the higher the ranking).

What CNN left out is that according to those same UN figures, in 1958 (the year prior to the glorious revolution), Cuba ranked 13th from the top, worldwide. This meant that robustly capitalist Cuba had the 13th LOWEST infant-mortality rate in the world. This put her not only at the top in Latin America but atop most of Western Europe, ahead of France, Belgium, West Germany, Israel, Japan, Austria, Italy, Spain, and Portugal. Today all of these countries leave Communist Cuba in the dust, with much lower infant mortality rates.

And even plummeting from 13th (Capitalist) to 44th (Communist), Cuba's "impressive" infant mortality rate is kept artificially low by Communist chicanery with statistics and by a truly appalling abortion rate of 0.71 abortions per live birth. This is the hemisphere’s highest, by far. Any Cuban pregnancy that even hints at trouble gets "terminated."

Also noteworthy: according to the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons, the mortality rate of Cuban children aged one to four years is 34% higher than the US (11.8 versus 8.8 per 1,000). But these don’t figure into UN and World Health Organization spotlighted "infant-mortality rates," you see. So the pressure is not on Cuban doctors to fudge these figures – yet.

In April 2001, Dr. Juan Felipe García, MD, of Jacksonville, Fla., interviewed several recent doctor defectors from Cuba. Based on what he heard, he reported the following: "The official Cuban infant-mortality figure is a farce. Cuban pediatricians constantly falsify figures for the regime. If an infant dies during its first year, the doctors often report he was older. Otherwise, such lapses could cost him severe penalties and his job."

More interesting (and tragic) still, the maternal mortality rate in Cuba is almost four times that of the US rate (33 versus 8.4 per 1,000). Peculiar how so many mothers die during childbirth in Cuba, and how many one- to four-year-olds perish, – while from birth to one year old (the period during which they qualify in UN statistics as infants) they’re perfectly healthy!

This might lead a few people to question Cuba’s official infant-mortality figures. But such people would not get a Havana bureau for their news agency, much less a visa to film a documentary.

It's a shocking read of their healthcare system overall, using tiny camera's smuggled in that John Stossel was gonna show but it was pulled because Cuba threatened ABC's "bureau permit".

BucEyedPea
08-19-2009, 09:55 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_infant_mortality_rate

We are still in the top tier compared to the rest of the world. And the difference between the other top countries is minimal.
LOL! Cuba is colored in royal blue. ( at the top) That is a joke!

Garcia Bronco
08-19-2009, 10:29 AM

Health records already are. I think he means government control of your health records.

pikesome
08-19-2009, 10:52 AM
Health records already are. I think he means government control of your health records.

I posted an article about how the SS people were cross-referencing fugitive lists and deigning payment based on that. And getting it wrong far too often. And then not owning up to the mistakes or following them up. It's logical that fugitives, dead-beat dads, convicted sex offenders and who ever else is on society's shit-list will get the same treatment.