PDA

View Full Version : Football Who is more deserving of the second chance?

DenverChief
08-20-2009, 07:14 AM
The whole Michael Vick thing got me pondering.....

You are the GM and you have a chance to sign one of two players, both positions are a position you could use another talented play but both have had past criminal problems and are looking for the second chance

do you pick up Charles Rodgers and his former drug problems

OR

do you pick up Michael Vick and his legal problems with dog fighting?

personally, being a dog lover and all I don't think my choice would be Vick

what say ye?

Duck Dog
08-20-2009, 07:22 AM
Drugs will affect your performance, criminal activities such as dog fighting affect you and the teams PR.

If I had to take one, I'd take the criminal over the addict.

My personal take on Vick is; he did his time. We do not tell other people they can not do their particular trade when they get out of prison. He's a football player. If a team wants to carry that PR nightmare, then so what.

People keep getting their opinions of Vick playing football mixed up with their opinions of his sentence.

DenverChief
08-20-2009, 07:28 AM
We do not tell other people they can not do their particular trade when they get out of prison.

well that is not entirely true, but I understand your argument....I just see it as a violent crime(s) versus a victimless crime(s)

InChiefsHell
08-20-2009, 07:37 AM
I'm a dog lover, but I'd sooner go with Vick. He did not beat another person, he didn't do drugs, etc. He did something which some people (like Clinton Portis) consider a cultural thing. He got busted, did his time, and seems truly remorseful. I'd give him a chance, because the chances of him re-offending for dog fighting is about nill. A drug user however...that's a whole other animal.

Chiefnj2
08-20-2009, 07:39 AM
The reason that Vick is back is because certain people like Dungy helped him. I'm willing to bet that there is a team of people moving Vick toward a better element of friends and associates and not letting him fall back into his old crowd. I think that is a key element when deciding whether to grant someone a 2nd or 3rd chance.

DenverChief
08-20-2009, 07:40 AM
I'm a dog lover, but I'd sooner go with Vick. He did not beat another person, he didn't do drugs, etc. He did something which some people (like Clinton Portis) consider a cultural thing. He got busted, did his time, and seems truly remorseful. I'd give him a chance, because the chances of him re-offending for dog fighting is about nill. A drug user however...that's a whole other animal.

What if I told you that a high percentage of people who do evil things to animals eventually do those things to humans?

DenverChief
08-20-2009, 07:41 AM
The reason that Vick is back is because certain people like Dungy helped him. I'm willing to bet that there is a team of people moving Vick toward a better element of friends and associates and not letting him fall back into his old crowd. I think that is a key element when deciding whether to grant someone a 2nd or 3rd chance.

Agreed, so all things being equal, except their crimes....

DenverChief
08-20-2009, 07:44 AM
What if I told you that a high percentage of people who do evil things to animals eventually do those things to humans?
Just to set it straight
They[the researchers] identified 153 men who had been prosecuted for animal cruelty and compared their criminal records to a group of "next door neighbors" — men who were similar in age, ethnic background, neighborhood, and economic status. Their findings were convincing: men who abused animals were five times more likely to have been arrested for violence against humans, four times more likely to have committed property crimes, and three times more likely to have records for drug and disorderly conduct offenses.

http://www.21stcenturycares.org/orlinks.htm

DenverChief
08-20-2009, 07:46 AM
and Hindsight being 20/20 I should have added Dante Stallworth to the mix

Demonpenz
08-20-2009, 07:47 AM

you better arrest everyone in the turtle fry thread

DenverChief
08-20-2009, 07:48 AM
you better arrest everyone in the turtle fry thread

:spock: that sounds nashtay

Demonpenz
08-20-2009, 07:50 AM
:spock: that sounds nashtay

did you see that thread? They had a little kid wacking a turtle over the head with a mallet. where the fuck is the animal cruelty police on that?

DenverChief
08-20-2009, 07:51 AM
did you see that thread? They had a little kid wacking a turtle over the head with a mallet. where the **** is the animal cruelty police on that?

no I didn't and I'm not sure I want too....animal cruelty makes me physically ill

Lzen
08-20-2009, 07:59 AM
did you see that thread? They had a little kid wacking a turtle over the head with a mallet. where the **** is the animal cruelty police on that?

I did not see that thread, but I remember my grandpa doing that one time. We were fishing this pond and he caught a big snapping turtle. He whacked the crap out of that thing until it was dead. You being a fisherman, I'm sure you can understand. :)

Demonpenz
08-20-2009, 08:04 AM
I did not see that thread, but I remember my grandpa doing that one time. We were fishing this pond and he caught a big snapping turtle. He whacked the crap out of that thing until it was dead. You being a fisherman, I'm sure you can understand. :)

I would probably wack it only if it was in the boat snapping at me. It bothers me alittle bit that people sit back and judge vick because it was furry loveable dogs, but we we do it to other animals it is fine. I just have this picture in my head about some of my white trash uncles around me killing animals an saying "That's the way it is out here son" then having mekill one, then seeing vick in my mind with black guys killing dogs and saying "thats the way it is here" then vick killing the dogs. Most people tell me the difference is that we eat the animals. Well to me they are as dead.

Param
08-20-2009, 08:38 AM
I would take neither and it has nothing to do with giving a second chance. I'd pass on both.

WilliamTheIrish
08-20-2009, 08:45 AM

I agree. Most become cops.

DenverChief
08-20-2009, 03:40 PM
I agree. Most become cops.

4321 eat mi arse

Demonpenz
08-20-2009, 03:42 PM
4321 eat mi arse

he's got a tazor! LMAO

Pestilence
08-20-2009, 03:49 PM
When the fuck did Mecca become a mainstay on polls?

Mr. Krab
08-20-2009, 03:50 PM
Everyone run, Denver has a taser and is not afraid to use it!!!!!!!

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb95/Torpedo55/OH_NOES.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/image/oh%20noes/Torpedo55/OH_NOES.jpg?o=1)

Mecca
08-20-2009, 03:53 PM
When the fuck did Mecca become a mainstay on polls?

I'm the new Gaz son in a few years I'll stop posting and people will wonder what happened to me.

Ebolapox
08-20-2009, 03:57 PM
I'm the new Gaz son in a few years I'll stop posting and people will wonder what happened to me.

promise?

:)

and as to the poll question, it's rodgers and it's not even close for me. hell, numerous nfl players have had pill issues (brett favre for one), it's a victimless crime. hell, if he goes through rehab and is alright, I could care less that he had an addiction.

Mecca
08-20-2009, 03:58 PM
I'd be happy if people could spell Charles Rogers name properly, Aaron is the only one with the D in his name.

Ebolapox
08-20-2009, 04:04 PM
I'd be happy if people could spell Charles Rogers name properly, Aaron is the only one with the D in his name.

well, you are 'good' at the draft.

hell, I'm good at the electron microscope. everyone has their thing, right?

DJ's left nut
08-20-2009, 04:11 PM
and Hindsight being 20/20 I should have added Dante Stallworth to the mix

Why?

He'd get the same # of votes he has right now.

!@#$ that guy.

KCChiefsMan
08-20-2009, 04:14 PM
I'd say Vick, he seems to be doing the right things and actually may have learned his lesson. I watched that interview with Charles Rodgers, that guy is dumb as a brick and I doubt he has learned his lesson at all. Vick served time in a hardcore prison and dealt with it like a man and I'd say he deserves a 2nd chance. 1 little mistake though, he would have to be out.

DenverChief
08-20-2009, 04:15 PM
promise?

:)

and as to the poll question, it's rodgers and it's not even close for me. hell, numerous nfl players have had pill issues (brett favre for one), it's a victimless crime. hell, if he goes through rehab and is alright, I could care less that he had an addiction.

bingo...my thoughts exactly

RJ
08-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Depends on whether I need a QB or a receiver.

CosmicPal
08-20-2009, 04:21 PM
I'd say Vick, he seems to be doing the right things and actually may have learned his lesson. I watched that interview with Charles Rodgers, that guy is dumb as a brick and I doubt he has learned his lesson at all. Vick served time in a hardcore prison and dealt with it like a man and I'd say he deserves a 2nd chance. 1 little mistake though, he would have to be out.

Actually, I'd have to disagree on this. I watched the 60 Minutes interview and I thought he came off as a fake. "I cried in jail thinking about what I did." Bullshit. You cried in jail because you had gazillions of dollars and a nice home and now you realize you have none of that any more. He didn't shed ONE tear for any of those dogs he killed. He cried for himself and what he had gotten himself into.

Despite all of that, I do believe the guy deserves a second chance. Hell, we all do. For f*ck's sake- I deserve a second chance! I was laid off by my employer several months ago and still haven't found a job. I want my second chance, dammit. :D

Rudy lost the toss
08-20-2009, 04:26 PM
Vick.

I'm Charles Rogers, I had 68 catches and 13 touchdowns!

Crush
08-20-2009, 04:26 PM
Mecca is a good guy. I, along with countless others, may disagree with his opinions, but he at least stands by them. Unlike, some others. I'm looking you, you GD n00bs.

Raised On Riots
08-20-2009, 04:27 PM
Mecca.

We need some scoutin' up in this bitch.

DenverChief
08-20-2009, 04:30 PM
Why?

He'd get the same # of votes he has right now.

!@#$ that guy.

just thought it would round out the options, a dog killer, a drunk person runner over, and a druggie

stumppy
Mrs. Fiona McLeish , thats who.

Predarat
My problem is with the guys who beat up children, wives, or girlfriends. Those guys are nothing but scum and should be kicked out of the NFL. Doing drugs and dogfighting should not have a harsher punishment then abuse.

Crush
08-20-2009, 04:35 PM

WilliamTheIrish
08-20-2009, 04:40 PM
4321 eat mi arse

Quit making passes at me.

Mecca
08-20-2009, 04:44 PM
My problem is with the guys who beat up children, wives, or girlfriends. Those guys are nothing but scum and should be kicked out of the NFL. Doing drugs and dogfighting should not have a harsher punishment then abuse.

That's NFL culture, Terrell Owens is treated as a worse person than a guy who beats his wife.

DenverChief
08-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Quit making passes at me.

hey just because you gots lots to love don't mean I wanna love it......

http://www.yardwear.net/blog/content/binary/fat-elvis.jpg

WilliamTheIrish
08-20-2009, 04:47 PM
hey just because you gots lots to love don't mean I wanna love it......

http://www.yardwear.net/blog/content/binary/fat-elvis.jpg

Ya big fruit, ya.

So how many times growing up did you burn ants with a magnifying glass before you decided you'd make a good cop?

DenverChief
08-20-2009, 04:55 PM
Ya big fruit, ya.

So how many times growing up did you burn ants with a magnifying glass before you decided you'd make a good cop?

lol...actually my thing was lighting smoke bombs and pointing them into the ant hills

do they even make those anymore?

stevieray
08-20-2009, 04:55 PM
Another chance at turning their life around? sure..

another chance at being a pro football player? meh.

kcfanXIII
08-20-2009, 05:08 PM
being a child burning ants, and a grown ass man drowning dogs, not the same thing. not even the same ball park. vick did what he did, because he got some sick sadistic joy out of it. rogers, prob just got addicted to pain killers during one of his injuries, which i remember grandpa brett having a similar problem. i have more sympathy for the addict, and there are probably many many more football players than you care to admit hooked on various pain killers. its probably an issue the union and nfl need to get together on.

WilliamTheIrish
08-20-2009, 05:17 PM
lol...actually my thing was lighting smoke bombs and pointing them into the ant hills

do they even make those anymore?

Yea. But the 4 year old kids in China who make them don't have the same quality standards as Chinese kids who make Nikes.

It's shame really.

Ari Chi3fs
08-20-2009, 05:42 PM
What about Donte Stallworth or Matt Jones on this poll?

weak sauce poll alert!!!11

Mr. Krab
08-20-2009, 05:59 PM

This poll fails like a granny against a cop taser.

DenverChief
08-20-2009, 06:13 PM

yeah I mentioned Stallworth a couple of posts into the thread...would help if you read the thread first :p

CosmicPal
08-20-2009, 06:17 PM
being a child burning ants, and a grown ass man drowning dogs, not the same thing. not even the same ball park. vick did what he did, because he got some sick sadistic joy out of it.

He said it on 60 Minutes the other night- that he and the neighborhood kids used to have dog fights in the neighborhood. Sounds like a case of one kid doing something as a child and reinforcing it as an adult.