PDA

View Full Version : Nat'l Security Is Afghanistan a good idea

RedNeckRaider
08-20-2009, 08:23 PM
For all those who say Iraq was wrong, Why is this right?

banyon
08-20-2009, 08:55 PM
I guess I don't agree with the reasons, so I think it's worth it, but not to "Catch Osama", though that would be nice.

The point was that the Taliban allowed AQ to flourish and they attacked us. We need to put the country in a condition where either the Taliban is wiped out or AQ cannot flourish, then we'd be done. I don't careif they have an ideal government, regional warlords or whatever, so long as those goals are accomplished.

Direckshun
08-20-2009, 08:56 PM
I've had this discussion with you a few times, RNR.

Thing is, I never knew you were such a dove.

To think you never supported the war in Iraq...

KILLER_CLOWN
08-20-2009, 08:58 PM
No, ask the Russians. We had no business going over there other than to guard the poppie fields, and Osama is long dead.

dirk digler
08-20-2009, 09:01 PM
I would vote but I don't like your options. I am all for being in Afghanistan and going after AQ\Taliban where they live and plot.

I am not as confidant finding OBL because he could be dead by now

patteeu
08-21-2009, 08:27 AM
I had a hard time picking an option in this poll. I picked "yes" because I think it's a good idea to deny a haven for al Qaeda and other like-minded jihadist groups, but I'm not sold on the plan to "win" there. I'm not sure our chances are as good for standing up a stable government in Afghanistan as they were in Iraq and I'm worried that our troop escalations will backfire in the end. I'm also concerned now that Obama is our POTUS that his political base will wilt and he won't have the backbone to fight to win which will make anything between now and the point when he quits a waste of blood and treasure. I hope I'm wrong about that.

I don't think getting OBL is that big of a deal either way. It's worth doing if we get the chance, but it's not even close to the "end all be all" of this conflict.