PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Ted Kennedy wants election rules change....AGAIN!

petegz28
08-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Senator Ted Kennedy, who is gravely ill with brain cancer, has sent a letter to Massachusetts lawmakers requesting a change in the state law that determines how his Senate seat would be filled if it became vacant before his eighth full term ends in 2012. Current law mandates that a special election be held at least 145 days after the seat becomes available. Mr. Kennedy is concerned that such a delay could leave his fellow Democrats in the Senate one vote short of a filibuster-proof majority for months while a special election takes place.

"I therefore am writing to urge you to work together to amend the law through the normal legislative process to provide for a temporary gubernatorial appointment until the special election occurs," writes the Senator.

What Mr. Kennedy doesn't volunteer is that he orchestrated the 2004 succession law revision that now requires a special election, and for similarly partisan reasons. John Kerry, the other Senator from the state, was running for President in 2004, and Mr. Kennedy wanted the law changed so the Republican Governor at the time, Mitt Romney, could not name Mr. Kerry's replacement. "Prodded by a personal appeal from Senator Edward M. Kennedy," reported the Boston Globe in 2004, "Democratic legislative leaders have agreed to take up a stalled bill creating a special election process to replace U.S. Senator John F. Kerry if he wins the presidency." Now that the state has a Democratic Governor, Mr. Kennedy wants to revert to gubernatorial appointments.

Beacon Hill has long sported heavy Democratic majorities, so the state legislature has the votes to grant Mr. Kennedy's wish. But does it have the chutzpah? An election is the more democratic option. After witnessing recent attempts by incompetent Governors in Illinois and New York to fill Senate vacancies, Massachusetts voters may have soured on such appointments. Especially when Mr. Kennedy's motivation for changing the law is so obviously born of partisan interest, not principle.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=30

orange
08-21-2009, 01:02 PM
An election is the more democratic option.

Republican Governor Mitt Romney's communications director, Eric Fehrnstrom, in 2004: "The only people who benefit from a shotgun election are incumbent congressmen with large war chests. In Massachusetts, that means women, people of color are shut out of the process."

Gosh, politicians are partisan. What a surprise!

p.s. fix your link

pikesome
08-21-2009, 03:40 PM
The law change was to keep Romney from doing exactly what Kennedy wants to happen. For exactly the same reasons.

HonestChieffan
08-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Kennedy is an old loon. He was a loon before his head began to rot, now its worse.

orange
08-21-2009, 04:00 PM
The law change was to keep Romney from doing exactly what Kennedy wants to happen. For exactly the same reasons.

If a temporary Senator appointed for 135 days until the special election is exactly the same as a permanent Senator appointed for two years to fill out the term, then yeah.

RNR
08-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Kennedy is an old loon. He was a loon before his head began to rot, now its worse.

Fuck that shitbag

KC Dan
08-21-2009, 05:10 PM
If a temporary Senator appointed for 135 days until the special election is exactly the same as a permanent Senator appointed for two years to fill out the term, then yeah.Don't care. It's hypocritical. You know it, I know it, everyone on this board knows it and everyone in Massachusetts knows it. This is an attempt to ENSURE that a democrat can vote for Health Care and Cap & Trade with no worry of possibly losing the seat in the end. It's politics, pure and simple and of the worst kind. Spin it however you want but know that we all see it for what it is - a lack of personal integrity

Donger
08-21-2009, 05:13 PM
I wonder if the Kennedy legacy will die out with Teddy?

orange
08-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Don't care. It's hypocritical. You know it, I know it, everyone on this board knows it and everyone in Massachusetts knows it. This is an attempt to ENSURE that a democrat can vote for Health Care and Cap & Trade with no worry of possibly losing the seat in the end. It's politics, pure and simple and of the worst kind. Spin it however you want but know that we all see it for what it is - a lack of personal integrity

And Norm Coleman held up Minnesota seating its second Senator for 7 months on a hopeless delaying action. I feel your pain.

RNR
08-21-2009, 05:45 PM
He has done everything he can to taint it. What a worthless shitbag

KC Dan
08-21-2009, 06:19 PM
And Norm Coleman held up Minnesota seating its second Senator for 7 months on a hopeless delaying action. I feel your pain.Election vote counting issues equated to this? ok.................................................................................................. ..............

***SPRAYER
08-21-2009, 06:26 PM
He has done everything he can to taint it. What a worthless shitbag

Does God have a sense of humor, or what?

orange
08-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Election vote counting issues equated to this? ok.................................................................................................. ..............

Writing your state legislature and requesting something is now illegal?

No, I'll bet it's Unconstitutional. Unethical. Uncivilized.

RNR
08-21-2009, 06:47 PM
Does God have a sense of humor, or what?
In the case of run and hide chicken shit Teddy I simply do not get the joke :shake:

***SPRAYER
08-21-2009, 06:53 PM
In the case of run and hide chicken shit Teddy I simply do not get the joke :shake:

Well...

The fact that his three older brothers died young. I mean, he clearly was the worst of the bunch.

The father was an absolute piece of shit but Joe Jr. who knows---

The guy was a World War II casualty and I have no reason to doubt he was a decent guy who probably would have made a decent president.

craneref
08-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Writing your state legislature and requesting something is now illegal?

No, I'll bet it's Unconstitutional. Unethical. Uncivilized.

I can't believe you used the word "ethical" in way shape or form around the name Ted Kennedy!! Unethical would imply that a person "EVER" had ethics, Tec Keendy clearly has had none since Chappaquiddick and you can quote Mary Jo Kopechne on that, oh wait, Ted Kennedy let her drown, that would be hard to do.

Velvet_Jones
08-21-2009, 08:26 PM
I can't believe you used the word "ethical" in way shape or form around the name Ted Kennedy!! Unethical would imply that a person "EVER" had ethics, Tec Keendy clearly has had none since Chappaquiddick and you can quote Mary Jo Kopechne on that, oh wait, Ted Kennedy let her drown, that would be hard to do.

The original Water-boarder.

googlegoogle
08-22-2009, 02:46 AM
So glad god is punishing that fake sanctimonious pos elitist entrenched fake royalty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Jo_Kopechne

mikey23545
08-22-2009, 02:57 AM
I hope Mary Jo Kopechne gets to wave to him on his way down to hell...

mikey23545
08-22-2009, 03:01 AM
And Norm Coleman held up Minnesota seating its second Senator for 7 months on a hopeless delaying action. I feel your pain.

You simply can't be comparing these two things...

You and Kennedy are two of a worthless kind...

thecoffeeguy
08-22-2009, 07:55 AM

Lets hope. It would be better for this country.

orange
08-22-2009, 10:02 AM
You simply can't be comparing these two things...

You and Kennedy are two of a worthless kind...

http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/political-pictures-sarah-palin-pouting-crying.jpg

blaise
08-22-2009, 10:25 AM

So you agree that Kennedy is being hypocritical then.

orange
08-22-2009, 10:34 AM

See #2.

RNR
08-22-2009, 10:35 AM

Look at his avatar that is his response to anything said against the left :)

orange
08-22-2009, 10:36 AM
Look at his avatar that is his response to anything said against the left :)

See #24.

kcfanXIII
08-22-2009, 11:03 AM
ted kennedy is the poster child for term limits. no public office should be held by the same person for more than two terms. if this was a law, it would be a lot harder for the corporate puppets to dictate policy.

RNR
08-22-2009, 11:06 AM
ted kennedy is the poster child for term limits. no public office should be held by the same person for more than two terms. if this was a law, it would be a lot harder for the corporate puppets to dictate policy.

Totally agree

kcfanXIII
08-22-2009, 11:09 AM
too bad his brain cancer isn't contagious. he could take down a whole bunch of puppets with him.

blaise
08-22-2009, 11:42 AM
See #2.

Yes, you were maybe too harsh on him by seeming to excuse him due to the hypocrisy of politics.

Frazod
08-22-2009, 11:48 AM

Unfortunately, you'd need to get all the corporate puppets on board to amend the Constitution. Good luck with that.

orange
08-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Yes, you were maybe too harsh on him by seeming to excuse him due to the hypocrisy of politics.

I guess I'll have to spell it out to you.

I HEARTILY APPROVE OF THE MASSACHUSETTS STATE LEGISLATURE PASSING A NEW LAW TO PROTECT THE MAJORITY WE DEMOCRATS ELECTED TO THE SENATE.

If it takes the BMOC Ted Kennedy throwing his weight around to get it done, then GO TEDDY!

kcfanXIII
08-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Unfortunately, you'd need to get all the corporate puppets on board to amend the Constitution. Good luck with that.

and the problem with a representative republic exposes itself...

ClevelandBronco
08-22-2009, 11:51 AM
Senator Ted Kennedy, who is gravely ill with brain cancer...

I always follow the recommendations of gentlemen with brain cancer. I pray that you will have a peaceful death, Sen. Kennedy.

kcfanXIII
08-22-2009, 11:51 AM

I HEARTILY APPROVE OF THE MASSACHUSETTS STATE LEGISLATURE PASSING A NEW LAW TO PROTECT THE MAJORITY WE DEMOCRATS ELECTED TO THE SENATE.

If it takes the BMOC Ted Kennedy throwing his weight around to get it done, then GO TEDDY!

and orange finally admits to the hypocrisy we've all been accusing him of...

orange
08-22-2009, 11:55 AM
and orange finally admits to the hypocrisy we've all been accusing him of...

For me to "admit to hypocrisy," I would have had to have had a different position at some prior point.

You're more than welcome to try and find it.

Meanwhile, I laugh at you. ROFL

Frazod
08-22-2009, 11:56 AM

If only somebody could go back in time to 1787 and warn the founders what would happen later. We need term limits in the worst way, but no way will these entrenched pricks ever agree to give up power. That twat Pelosi will continue to be reelected by the lunatics in her district as long as she has a pulse. Look what it took to get rid of Ted Stevens. Jesus.

BucEyedPea
08-22-2009, 12:12 PM
Look, at it this way...if the people are corrupted by entitlement mentality then they'll just elect for of the same politicians to office. If they're ignorant and uneducated or educated only in statism, you'll just get more of the same politicians. Term limits ain't gonna fix the problem folks.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xIraCchPDhk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xIraCchPDhk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Like I asked before, why are the malls full?

Frazod
08-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Look, at it this way...if the people are corrupted by entitlement mentality then they'll just elect for of the same politicians to office. If they're ignorant and uneducated or educated only in statism, you'll just get more of the same politicians. Term limits ain't gonna fix the problem folks.

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xIraCchPDhk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

At least we could change up the Tiny Little Groups of Constituents that hold us fucking hostage every so often.

kcfanXIII
08-22-2009, 12:46 PM
and the more times you have to try and bribe someone, the more chances to have a whistle blower to expose the bad guys.

googlegoogle
08-22-2009, 12:51 PM

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xIraCchPDhk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

Exactly!

But i don't think it will be undone without revolution. Just like matter falling into blackhole.

Founding fathers had laws that only land owners could vote. Ask yourself why.

orange
08-22-2009, 02:15 PM
52% in Massachusetts Favor Kennedy’s Request for Interim Replacement
Friday, August 21, 2009

Fifty-two percent (52%) of Massachusetts voters agree with terminally ill Senator Edward M. Kennedy that the governor should name an interim senator to take his place until a special election can be held.

A new Rasmussen Reports telephone survey in the state finds that 40% oppose giving Democratic Governor Deval Patrick the right to name an interim senator.

The partisan divide on the question is scarcely surprising. Seventy-two percent (72%) of Democrats favor the naming of an interim senator, while 64% of Republicans and 51% of voters not affiliated with either party are opposed.

Under a state law passed in 2004, a special election will be held within five months of the Senate seat going vacant. Sixty-six percent (66%) of Massachusetts voters believe a special election should be held when there is an open Senate seat. Just 27% say the governor should appoint the replacement.

Kennedy is fighting cancer and has proposed that state legislators give Patrick the power to make the interim appointment, so Massachusetts has two senators until a special election can be held. According to the Boston Globe, “his request clearly stems from his concern that President Obama’s efforts to win passage of a health care bill could hinge on being able to muster every Democratic vote in the Senate.”

In the questions asking about the process of selecting a replacement senator, Kennedy’s name was not mentioned in any way.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_state_surveys/massachusetts/52_in_massachusetts_favor_kennedy_s_request_for_interim_replacement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clearly unrepresentative. Those fools at Rasmussen didn't even ask ANYONE in Missouri what they think.

Saul Good
08-22-2009, 03:29 PM
For me to "admit to hypocrisy," I would have had to have had a different position at some prior point.

You're more than welcome to try and find it.

Meanwhile, I laugh at you. ROFL

Orange isn't hypocritical. He has always supported manipulating the law in order to give power to Democrats through any means necessary.

Saul Good
08-22-2009, 03:33 PM
52% in Massachusetts Favor Kennedy’s Request for Interim Replacement
Friday, August 21, 2009

Fifty-two percent (52%) of Massachusetts voters agree with terminally ill Senator Edward M. Kennedy that the governor should name an interim senator to take his place until a special election can be held.

A new Rasmussen Reports telephone survey in the state finds that 40% oppose giving Democratic Governor Deval Patrick the right to name an interim senator.

The partisan divide on the question is scarcely surprising. Seventy-two percent (72%) of Democrats favor the naming of an interim senator, while 64% of Republicans and 51% of voters not affiliated with either party are opposed.

Under a state law passed in 2004, a special election will be held within five months of the Senate seat going vacant. Sixty-six percent (66%) of Massachusetts voters believe a special election should be held when there is an open Senate seat. Just 27% say the governor should appoint the replacement.

Kennedy is fighting cancer and has proposed that state legislators give Patrick the power to make the interim appointment, so Massachusetts has two senators until a special election can be held. According to the Boston Globe, “his request clearly stems from his concern that President Obama’s efforts to win passage of a health care bill could hinge on being able to muster every Democratic vote in the Senate.”

In the questions asking about the process of selecting a replacement senator, Kennedy’s name was not mentioned in any way.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_state_surveys/massachusetts/52_in_massachusetts_favor_kennedy_s_request_for_interim_replacement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clearly unrepresentative. Those fools at Rasmussen didn't even ask ANYONE in Missouri what they think.

Also from Rasmussen. I guess Obama should step down. The people get to vote about certain things. They don't get to vote on others. As far as the "others" category goes, there are generally existing laws in place to make these determinations.

RINGLEADER
08-22-2009, 03:33 PM
If a temporary Senator appointed for 135 days until the special election is exactly the same as a permanent Senator appointed for two years to fill out the term, then yeah.

:shake:

Hopefully they try to push Obamacare through on reconcilliation and still lose. That would be funny.

orange
08-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Also from Rasmussen. I guess Obama should step down.

Even Rasmussen couldn't skew their Mass. poll far enough to the right to make the outcome even close.

<iframe src='http://charts.realclearpolitics.com/1044.epoll.html' width='100%' height='397' frameborder='0' scrolling='no' marginheight='0' marginwidth='0'></iframe>

I guess Obama is in no hurry to go anywhere - especially 39 months before Election Day.

P.S. your specially cherry-picked picture notwithstanding, Rasmussen's actual Presidential Approval number is only -1, still FAR below every other Pollster, as always. http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_obama_job_approval-1044.html

The people get to vote about certain things. They don't get to vote on others. As far as the "others" category goes, there are generally existing laws in place to make these determinations.

As for what people get to vote for - in Mass, they get to vote for their state reps and those state reps determine the laws of succession for Mass. office holders. And they can change those laws. So sorry.

blaise
08-22-2009, 07:57 PM

At least you admit you're an unabashed shill for the Democrats.

***SPRAYER
08-22-2009, 10:11 PM
At least you admit you're an unabashed shill for the Democrats.

"GO TEDDY"

ROFL

What a dork.

Simplex3
08-23-2009, 05:26 PM

I think it's more a problem with expansive government myself.

orange
08-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Push Grows for Fast Choice on a Successor to Kennedy

By ABBY GOODNOUGH
Published: August 26, 2009

BOSTON — The push for swiftly naming an interim successor to Senator Edward M. Kennedy intensified Wednesday in the wake of his death, with Gov. Deval Patrick coming out strongly in favor of the idea and other top state lawmakers indicating they were reluctant to leave the seat vacant for months.

Mr. Kennedy, concerned about the loss of a Democratic vote during the fevered effort to pass a national health care overhaul — his most cherished legislative goal — had asked state leaders in a letter last week to make such a change possible.

Wednesday, Democrats in Washington stepped up pressure on the governor to see Mr. Kennedy’s wish fulfilled, and state legislative leaders said they would immerse themselves in the issue after a mourning period for Mr. Kennedy.

Under current law, a special election could not take place until at least 145 days after a Senate seat opens, in this case, mid-January. Mr. Kennedy’s proposal would let Mr. Patrick, a Democrat, appoint a temporary replacement sooner.

The governor said he would sign a change in the law if the legislature approved it. He said it was important for Massachusetts to have two voices in the Senate as Congress prepares to vote on overhauling the health care system — contentious legislation whose passage may well require every Democratic vote.

“It’s a particularly timely request at a time when there are such profoundly important issues pending in the Congress,” Mr. Patrick told reporters outside the State House, adding that he had spoken with Senator Harry Reid of Nevada, the majority leader, earlier in the day about the importance of filling Mr. Kennedy’s seat. “I’m looking at the issues that are in front of the country right now and how important they are to all of us.”

Republicans have attacked Mr. Kennedy’s proposal as flagrantly partisan, and indeed, the state’s Democrats are in the awkward position of being asked to reverse their own 2004 vote to keep vacant Senate seats empty until a special election.

Until that year, Massachusetts law had called for the governor to appoint a temporary replacement if a Senate seat became vacant. But when Senator John Kerry, a Democrat, was running for president in 2004, the Democratically-controlled State Legislature wanted to deny the Republican governor at the time, Mitt Romney, the power to name a successor if Mr. Kerry won. The resulting law requires a special election 145 to 160 days after the vacancy occurs.

While state legislative leaders stopped short of endorsing Mr. Kennedy’s proposal, they said they were worried that leaving the seat empty for five months could hurt the state. “I think that has to be a concern,” Robert A. DeLeo, the speaker of the House of Representatives, said in a news conference here.

Mr. DeLeo and Therese Murray, the president of the State Senate, said a hearing on changing the law, originally planned for October, would now probably take place next month.

In the letter discussing his successor, Mr. Kennedy said any temporary appointee should offer an “explicit, personal commitment” not to run for the seat in the special election. Several supporters of the plan said Wednesday they thought such a guarantee would make it more palatable to Democratic legislators who were worried about backlash.

“I think a lot of people when they first heard about this were afraid it would be a handoff” to whomever Mr. Patrick appointed as a temporary replacement, said Representative Michael Moran, co-chairman of the legislature’s elections rules committee, which would shepherd through any change in the succession law.

Mr. Moran said he favored the change and hoped Democratic lawmakers who initially expressed opposition would, too.

“Ted Kennedy was one of the most impressive senators we’ve ever had,” he said, “and to have him write a letter just prior to his death saying this is something Massachusetts needs — how do you not take that seriously and give your position another look?”

One question, Mr. Moran and other lawmakers said, is whether it would be constitutional to prohibit a temporary successor from running in the special election.

As of Wednesday, only six lawmakers had signed a letter in which State Senator Michael O’Leary, whose district includes Mr. Kennedy’s hometown, Hyannis Port, called for the change. Mr. O’Leary acknowledged Wednesday that many of his colleagues were skeptical.

The legislature is not set to return until after Labor Day, and lawmakers said they would delay discussing the proposal until after Mr. Kennedy’s funeral on Saturday.

“I think after the senator’s services are over that probably the conversation will become louder,” Ms. Murray said. “I’m reserving my judgment in deference to the family, who really doesn’t want this in the paper right now. Our king is dead and nobody really wants to be discussing this right now.”

Philip W. Johnston, former head of the Massachusetts Democratic Party, who remains involved in state politics said, “I have a pretty strong feeling that they will do it.” Mr. Johnston added, “The Republicans will say, ‘Isn’t this terrible,’ but the Democrats have nothing to apologize for as long as the temporary appointee is not a candidate for the permanent seat.”

Several people, inside the family and beyond, have been discussed as possible candidates for Mr. Kennedy’s seat. His wife, confidante and policy adviser, Victoria Reggie Kennedy, has been the subject of speculation as a possible successor, but friends have said she is not interested.

Other relatives seen as possible heirs include former Representative Joseph P. Kennedy II, Mr. Kennedy’s nephew, who has expressed reluctance to return to politics but who has $2 million in leftover campaign money and has not ruled out a run.

Since leaving Congress in 1999, Joseph Kennedy has run the Citizens Energy Corporation, a nonprofit organization he founded years earlier to provide affordable heating oil to low-income families. While considered charismatic and a powerful speaker, he has faced criticism for accepting donated oil from the Venezuelan government. His reputation also suffered when his former wife published a book in 1997 saying he had verbally bullied her in his effort to get an annulment. But many Democrats say he would be a formidable contender.

Outside the family, a number of Massachusetts Democrats are considered possible successors, including United States Representatives Stephen F. Lynch and Michael E. Capuano; state Attorney General Martha Coakley; and former Representative Martin Meehan, who retired in 2007 to become chancellor of the University of Massachusetts, Lowell, but who has about $4.8 million in campaign cash.

“Much depends on whether a Kennedy will run,” Mr. Johnston said. “I don’t think there will be any discussion until after the funeral, but at that point everyone will make some decisions as to what will happen.”

Sarah Wheaton contributed reporting from New York.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/27/us/politics/27succeed.html?_r=1&hp%27

kcfanXIII
08-26-2009, 10:59 PM
Push Grows for Fast Choice on a Successor to Kennedy

By ABBY GOODNOUGH
Published: August 26, 2009

BOSTON — The push for swiftly naming an interim successor to Senator Edward M. Kennedy intensified Wednesday in the wake of his death, with Gov. Deval Patrick coming out strongly in favor of the idea and other top state lawmakers indicating they were reluctant to leave the seat vacant for months.

Mr. Kennedy, concerned about the loss of a Democratic vote during the fevered effort to pass a national health care overhaul — his most cherished legislative goal — had asked state leaders in a letter last week to make such a change possible.

Wednesday, Democrats in Washington stepped up pressure on the governor to see Mr. Kennedy’s wish fulfilled, and state legislative leaders said they would immerse themselves in the issue after a mourning period for Mr. Kennedy.

Under current law, a special election could not take place until at least 145 days after a Senate seat opens, in this case, mid-January. Mr. Kennedy’s proposal would let Mr. Patrick, a Democrat, appoint a temporary replacement sooner.

The governor said he would sign a change in the law if the legislature approved it. He said it was important for Massachusetts to have two voices in the Senate as Congress prepares to vote on overhauling the health care system — contentious legislation whose passage may well require every Democratic vote.

“It’s a particularly timely request at a time when there are such profoundly important issues pending in the Congress,” Mr. Patrick told reporters outside the State House, adding that he had spoken with Senator Harry Reid of Nevada, the majority leader, earlier in the day about the importance of filling Mr. Kennedy’s seat. “I’m looking at the issues that are in front of the country right now and how important they are to all of us.”

Republicans have attacked Mr. Kennedy’s proposal as flagrantly partisan, and indeed, the state’s Democrats are in the awkward position of being asked to reverse their own 2004 vote to keep vacant Senate seats empty until a special election.

Until that year, Massachusetts law had called for the governor to appoint a temporary replacement if a Senate seat became vacant. But when Senator John Kerry, a Democrat, was running for president in 2004, the Democratically-controlled State Legislature wanted to deny the Republican governor at the time, Mitt Romney, the power to name a successor if Mr. Kerry won. The resulting law requires a special election 145 to 160 days after the vacancy occurs.

While state legislative leaders stopped short of endorsing Mr. Kennedy’s proposal, they said they were worried that leaving the seat empty for five months could hurt the state. “I think that has to be a concern,” Robert A. DeLeo, the speaker of the House of Representatives, said in a news conference here.

Mr. DeLeo and Therese Murray, the president of the State Senate, said a hearing on changing the law, originally planned for October, would now probably take place next month.

In the letter discussing his successor, Mr. Kennedy said any temporary appointee should offer an “explicit, personal commitment” not to run for the seat in the special election. Several supporters of the plan said Wednesday they thought such a guarantee would make it more palatable to Democratic legislators who were worried about backlash.

“I think a lot of people when they first heard about this were afraid it would be a handoff” to whomever Mr. Patrick appointed as a temporary replacement, said Representative Michael Moran, co-chairman of the legislature’s elections rules committee, which would shepherd through any change in the succession law.

Mr. Moran said he favored the change and hoped Democratic lawmakers who initially expressed opposition would, too.

“Ted Kennedy was one of the most impressive senators we’ve ever had,” he said, “and to have him write a letter just prior to his death saying this is something Massachusetts needs — how do you not take that seriously and give your position another look?”

One question, Mr. Moran and other lawmakers said, is whether it would be constitutional to prohibit a temporary successor from running in the special election.

As of Wednesday, only six lawmakers had signed a letter in which State Senator Michael O’Leary, whose district includes Mr. Kennedy’s hometown, Hyannis Port, called for the change. Mr. O’Leary acknowledged Wednesday that many of his colleagues were skeptical.

The legislature is not set to return until after Labor Day, and lawmakers said they would delay discussing the proposal until after Mr. Kennedy’s funeral on Saturday.

“I think after the senator’s services are over that probably the conversation will become louder,” Ms. Murray said. “I’m reserving my judgment in deference to the family, who really doesn’t want this in the paper right now. Our king is dead and nobody really wants to be discussing this right now.”

Philip W. Johnston, former head of the Massachusetts Democratic Party, who remains involved in state politics said, “I have a pretty strong feeling that they will do it.” Mr. Johnston added, “The Republicans will say, ‘Isn’t this terrible,’ but the Democrats have nothing to apologize for as long as the temporary appointee is not a candidate for the permanent seat.”

Several people, inside the family and beyond, have been discussed as possible candidates for Mr. Kennedy’s seat. His wife, confidante and policy adviser, Victoria Reggie Kennedy, has been the subject of speculation as a possible successor, but friends have said she is not interested.

Other relatives seen as possible heirs include former Representative Joseph P. Kennedy II, Mr. Kennedy’s nephew, who has expressed reluctance to return to politics but who has $2 million in leftover campaign money and has not ruled out a run.

Since leaving Congress in 1999, Joseph Kennedy has run the Citizens Energy Corporation, a nonprofit organization he founded years earlier to provide affordable heating oil to low-income families. While considered charismatic and a powerful speaker, he has faced criticism for accepting donated oil from the Venezuelan government. His reputation also suffered when his former wife published a book in 1997 saying he had verbally bullied her in his effort to get an annulment. But many Democrats say he would be a formidable contender.

Outside the family, a number of Massachusetts Democrats are considered possible successors, including United States Representatives Stephen F. Lynch and Michael E. Capuano; state Attorney General Martha Coakley; and former Representative Martin Meehan, who retired in 2007 to become chancellor of the University of Massachusetts, Lowell, but who has about $4.8 million in campaign cash.

“Much depends on whether a Kennedy will run,” Mr. Johnston said. “I don’t think there will be any discussion until after the funeral, but at that point everyone will make some decisions as to what will happen.”

Sarah Wheaton contributed reporting from New York.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/27/us/politics/27succeed.html?_r=1&hp%27

epostray

orange
08-26-2009, 11:05 PM
epostray

Wrong. Mine was first... by moments.

jAZ
08-26-2009, 11:16 PM
Wrong. Mine was first... by moments.

Tie goes to the runner. That's funny though. Sorry for over posting on you. :)

I'd delete the other but there's too many posts.

Can we get a merger?

orange
08-26-2009, 11:18 PM
Just continue to comment in the new thread.

This serves as a good punctuation mark for this one.