PDA

View Full Version : Football Jags Predict All Home Games will be Blacked Out

Buck
08-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Yikes! (Read this on Fark.com)

http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2009-08-21/story/jaguars_ready_for_string_of_blackouts

Jaguars ready for string of blackouts

* By Vito Stellino
* Story updated at 2:14 PM on Friday, Aug. 21, 2009

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers had loudspeakers providing crowd noise when their first-string offense worked this week.

They apparently missed the memo that their game against the Jaguars on Saturday night is the beginning of what might be the Jaguars’ blackout season.

The Jaguars play the first of 10 home games this year Saturday night — two in the preseason and eight in the regular season — and the team has already announced all 10 will be blacked out on TV because of a lack of ticket sales.

This will be the first time in their 15-year history that they’ve blacked out all 10 games and the stadium might be only, about half-filled Saturday night. Crowd noise probably won’t be a problem for the Bucs.

Defensive end Reggie Hayward said the Jaguars have to perform, regardless of how many fans show up.

“It’s always nice to have a big fan base out there, but when you don’t have it, the show must go on. We still have a job to do. We still have a lot of people who are supporting us, maybe they’re not there physically, but they’re there in spirit. We’ve still got to get the job done,” he said.

Hayward said the economy has taken a toll on ticket sales.

“You’ve got to understand what the economy is and how it’s difficult for people to get out and spend that extra money on football and things of leisure.

“They have to provide for their families and put food on the table. If they can’t support us in the stadium, at least support us in the heart and out here on the streets by wearing and supporting what we do. I can’t tell anybody it’s more important to come see a football game than to go to work and try to make ends meet,” Hayward said.

Quarterback David Garrard said of the impact on the players, “It doesn’t matter. It’s still game night. If it’s game night and there’s another team out there ready to play, then that’s all the excitement we need. We love our fans, and we love to have them out there, so I know whoever is out there is going to be excited and will be cheering as loud as they can.”

Coach Jack Del Rio said he understood how tough the economy is now.

“We certainly appreciate those that can make it, because when they’re here, they’re loud and very supportive,” Del Rio said. “I know it’s hard times. We’re going to entertain the ones that get here and put on a good show.”

Brock
08-21-2009, 01:03 PM
That's a team that shouldn't exist to begin with.

blaise
08-21-2009, 01:06 PM
They have terrible uniforms too.

SenselessChiefsFan
08-21-2009, 01:07 PM

Shut up!.... When the Chiefs play them, it is within driving distance... and tickets are never hard to get!

Count Zarth
08-21-2009, 01:07 PM
This is what happens when your team does shit in the offseason.

bowener
08-21-2009, 01:09 PM

Maybe this is what needs to be done to move their asses to LA.
That way another team isnt added to the fucking NFL, fucking up the divisions. It can still stay in their division.

blaise
08-21-2009, 01:09 PM
I was kicked off their old message board like 15 times.

Mojo Jojo
08-21-2009, 01:10 PM

They only got it because St. Louis couldn't put together financing and a stadium in 1992. Remember the Colts almost moved there and Robert Irsay landed in the stadium in a helicopter on the 50-yard line. Also, Bud Adams looked at moving the Oilers there before deciding on Tennessee. Jacksonville did a good job of marketing the city, but have had a tough time backing it up with ticket sales.

Valiant
08-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Just think of all the revenue dollars they are losing by not being able to host the games.. Half full stadium and no tv revenue for advertisers..

dirk digler
08-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Winning cures all

Chocolate Hog
08-21-2009, 01:13 PM
And yet they hosted a super bowl.

Mojo Jojo
08-21-2009, 01:14 PM
Just think of all the revenue dollars they are losing by not being able to host the games.. Half full stadium and no tv revenue for advertisers..

TV revenue is a national contract. Every team gets the same. Any local broadcast goes to the local affiliate not the team.

blaise
08-21-2009, 01:14 PM

It was sad reading all the posters on their message board after that. "We'll get to host another Super Bowl within 6 years."
No, no you won't.

Brock
08-21-2009, 01:15 PM

And it was pretty much a disaster.

Mojo Jojo
08-21-2009, 01:16 PM

Part of the expansion deal with the city. Improve the stadium...you will get a team and you will host a Super Bowl. Remember, Lamar and Tags used that reasoning for the Bi-State Stadium tax that failed.

Chocolate Hog
08-21-2009, 01:17 PM
And it was pretty much a disaster.

How so? All I know is that was a pretty good game.

Brock
08-21-2009, 01:19 PM

If you have to float in cruise ships for people to stay on, your city doesn't rate a super bowl.

OnTheWarpath58
08-21-2009, 01:20 PM

They don't have enough hotel rooms to accomodate everyone, so people were staying on cruise ships. The logistics were a nightmare, and media/visitors said it was the worst week of travel, lodging and parties they'd seen at a Super Bowl.

Mojo Jojo
08-21-2009, 01:20 PM

It was a great game, but remember they had to bring in cruise ships and dock them on the St. Johns just to get enough hotel rooms for teams, media and ticket holders.

dirk digler
08-21-2009, 01:21 PM
Part of the expansion deal with the city. Improve the stadium...you will get a team and you will host a Super Bowl. Remember, Lamar and Tags used that reasoning for the Bi-State Stadium tax that failed.

Actually the Bi-state passed IIRC it was the funding of the retractable roof that failed

But yeah they said both had to pass than KC would get a SB

Chocolate Hog
08-21-2009, 01:23 PM
If you have to float in cruise ships for people to stay on, your city doesn't rate a super bowl.

LOL! I never heard that but thats pretty funny. It's probably good if the Jags move. I always wondered why most of there upper deck was covered.

Mojo Jojo
08-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Actually the Bi-state passed IIRC it was the funding of the retractable roof that failed

But yeah they said both had to pass than KC would get a SB

No bi-state failed. The Jackson County only tax passed a year or two later, and yes the option number 2/rolling roof did fail on that ballot.

dirk digler
08-21-2009, 01:25 PM
No bi-state failed. The Jackson County only tax passed a year or two later, and yes the option number 2/rolling did fail on that ballot.

Ok I remember that now. There has been so many I lose track. Thanks.

Mojo Jojo
08-21-2009, 01:26 PM
LOL! I never heard that but thats pretty funny. It's probably good if the Jags move. I always wondered why most of there upper deck was covered.

Last year the rumor was that the Rams are looking to move to LA and Jax is looking to move to St. Louis. St. Louis and Jacksonville...two cities that are not going to support NFL teams.

Chocolate Hog
08-21-2009, 01:26 PM
I don't think Kansas City would be a good host for the super bowl. It doesn't have alot of hotels and the stadium is in the middle of nowhere.