PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz:Search For Identity Continues

Tribal Warfare
08-22-2009, 08:00 AM
Search For Identity Continues (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/search-for-identity-continues.html)
August 21, 2009 - Bob Gretz |

From Minneapolis, Minnesota

One of the items on the to-do list for the Chiefs coaching staff when they jumped the plane to fly to the northwoods back on July 30th was this:

Find our identity on offense, defense and special teams.

Training camp in Wisconsin is now over, and two pre-season games are in the books after Friday night’s 17-13 loss to the Minnesota Vikings. Opening day in Baltimore is now just three weekends away.

Are the Chiefs any closer to finding out just what kind of team they are going to become?

The locker room consensus from the Metrodome was no on offense, closer on defense and still looking in the kicking game, although rookie kicker Ryan Succop has established that he could be the real deal when it comes to putting boot to ball.

Let’s start with the defense.

“I think we showed more tonight the things that we can do on defense,” said ILB Derrick Johnson. “We got after some things, we got after the quarterback. We did a good job on the run and that’s something we’ve been working on. We forced some things and that’s what we want to be. ”

The pass rush was better against the Vikings, yet the Chiefs did not finish the game with a single sack. The starters played the first half and allowed 179 yards on 29 plays. But they did do a good job against the Minnesota running game, allowing 58 yards on 15 carries. Vikings RB Adrian Peterson finished with 44 yards on 10 carries, but his long run was nine yards and he never got loose.

Some big mistakes on third down killed the Chiefs defense. Both of QB Tarvaris Jackson’s TD passes came on third and eight plays. One was a scrambling 13-yard throw that found TE Visanthe Shiancoe in the end zone. The second one was a 64-yard post-pattern to WR Darius Reynaud who ran away from the Chiefs coverage.

That first TD came at the expense of Johnson.

“Oh boy, that wasn’t good,” said Johnson. “Give him credit, he got away from me on that play. I should have tried to go up and strip it or something, but I thought I had him and then I turned and he was gone behind me and the quarterback saw him.”

Offensively, the Chiefs continue to experiment with additions to their offense. They used some no-huddle in the first half with the starters and threw far more screen passes in this game than they’ve shown at any time last week or all throw training camp. The passing game was so-so, better than last week, but still not as productive as it needs to be. The running game struggled, as the Chiefs had 106 yards on 33 carries, just a 3.2-yard per carry average. And, 13 of those yards came from the scrambling Cassel and another 16 was an end-around run by WR Quinten Lawrence. That left 29 carries for 77 yards for the running backs.

There were 14 Chiefs receivers in the game, led by WR Dwayne Bowe who had three catches for 37 yards and a TD catch.

“I’m getting more and more comfortable (with the receivers),” said QB Matt Cassel. “We had a few weeks of training camp, but I am still getting familiar with the offense. It’s a new offense and there are new players around us, so it’s a process like I said.”

On special teams, nobody jumped out and grabbed the returner job on punts or kickoffs. CB Maurice Leggett had one punt return for 10 yards. On kickoffs RB Jackie Battle had two returns for 37 yards and RB Jamaal Charles had one for 26 yards.

But the kickers were outstanding. P Dustin Colquitt kicked four times with a 45.3 gross average and a 39-yard net, with two kicks inside the 20-yard line. Succop hit both of his field goals from 32 and 37 yards. And all of his kickoffs reached the end zone, including his final one that was downed for a touchback.

Danman
08-22-2009, 09:09 AM
The defense will be better once preseason's over with. We'll zone blitz a lot out of our 3-4. Few teams blitz in preseason. The offense will be a work in progress the whole year.

JD10367
08-22-2009, 09:15 AM
This guy Gretz sounds like the kind of guy who could get a surprise blowjob from Megan Fox and then complain 'cause she didn't swallow.

talastan
08-22-2009, 09:53 AM
This guy Gretz sounds like the kind of guy who could get a surprise blowjob from Megan Fox and then complain 'cause she didn't swallow.

You wouldn't? :D

Buehler445
08-22-2009, 10:02 AM

DSPvmnqDlkjofu nbwpeQVNOE#ewT243

FUCK YOU DUDE!

I just got a mental image of Gretz getting BJ. I oughta neg rep you!

ROFL

JD10367
08-22-2009, 11:10 AM
DSPvmnqDlkjofu nbwpeQVNOE#ewT243

**** YOU DUDE!

I just got a mental image of Gretz getting BJ. I oughta neg rep you!

ROFL

:)

Crashride
08-22-2009, 11:40 AM
:)

blashphemy

RedThat
08-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Im really impressed with Succop latety. Keep up the good work Ryan. Could kicking be an area of strength for the Chiefs? Something they haven't had in a while.