PDA

View Full Version : Football New Cowboys stadium HD Scoreboard too low?

Deberg_1990
08-22-2009, 11:15 AM
Interesting...Did anyone see the kick?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Punt-hits-video-screen-at-new-Cowboys-Stadium?urn=nfl,184487

Spending $1.2 billion on a football stadium can get you a lot, but not apparently a good sense of how high to hang 2,100 inch video screens above the field.

At the debut of the new Dallas Cowboys' stadium last night, Tennessee Titans punter A.J. Trapasso kicked a ball that struck one of the gargantuan high-definition scoreboards that hang over the center of the field. Trapasso's punt sailed straight up and hit one of the two scoreboards that face the endzone. It deflected backward and was ruled in-play until Titans coach Jeff Fisher informed officials (who had been watching the players, not the ball) that the punt struck the scoreboard. By rule, the down was replayed.

Jerry Jones wasn't happy with the kick, not so much because he felt that somebody on his engineering team screwed up by placing the video boards too low, but because he seems to think that Trapasso was trying to hit the board on purpose. When asked whether he thought the scoreboard should be raised higher, Jones snapped:

"That's not the point. How high is high if somebody just wants to sit there and kick straight up?

"If you look at how you punt the football, unless you're trying to hit the scoreboard, you punt the ball to get downfield. You certainly want to get some hangtime, but you punt the ball to get downfield, and you sure don't punt the ball down the middle. You punt it off to the side."

Later, Jones reitirated that he would not be moving the scoreboard higher. Trapasso and the regular Titans punter, Craig Hentrich(notes), think that's a bad idea. Said Hentrich:

"I hit it probably a dozen times in pregame," Hentrich said. "Probably somewhere around a five-second punt is going to hit it and some of the guys in the league wouldn't be able to punt here if it's not raised, they'd just be non-stop hitting it. I don't know what the people were thinking. I guess they should have tested things out before they put that thing in place. It'll have to be raised."

Despite his dismissive response to the incident, Jerry Jones may have a point. Watching a replay of the kick, it sure does look like Trapasso is trying to boot the ball as high as he can, a method that punters usually only use on shorter punts designed to pin a team back. (The Titans kicked from their own 37-yard line, so Trapasso should have been trying more for length than height.)

That doesn't mean that directional punts won't find their way toward the "Jerrytron" this season. Even the Cowboys own punter, Mat McBriar(notes), thinks that a kick with a 4.9 second hangtime will strike the screen. If that happens more than once or twice, Jerry Jones and the Cowboys might find out that when it comes to video screens, bigger isn't is always better.

dirk digler
08-22-2009, 11:18 AM
That is pretty funny. Obviously the Cowgirls screwed up

kcfanXIII
08-22-2009, 11:22 AM
but if they raise it any higher, how will the stadium workers play halo?

Crashride
08-22-2009, 11:24 AM
exactly. Jones seems like the "always right" type.

BigMeatballDave
08-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Jerry Jones is a fucking assbag.

Baconeater
08-22-2009, 11:35 AM
That fucking stadium is perfect example of everything that is wrong about sports these days.

Skip Towne
08-22-2009, 11:37 AM
Jerry Jones is a fucking assbag.

He's worse than that.

talastan
08-22-2009, 11:38 AM
D@mn he makes CeePee look like a saint. :shake:

TEX
08-22-2009, 12:19 PM
That ****ing stadium is perfect example of everything that is wrong about sports these days.

THIS. In trying to build the "perfect" stadium, they have succeeded in building something FAR from it.

Bowser
08-22-2009, 01:20 PM
I'd aim for it every time if I were the other team.

Fish
08-22-2009, 01:32 PM
I don't understand the bitter hatred for the Cowboys.....

Bowser
08-22-2009, 01:37 PM

Their owner, mostly. And that whole "America's Team" crap.

Deberg_1990
08-22-2009, 01:43 PM

Its a form of class envy.

Cowboys are one of the NFL's Tentpole Franchises.

ChiefaRoo
08-22-2009, 01:46 PM
I heard that thing cost $40Million and it's going to cost hundreds of thousands in wireways to move it. What a bunch of dumb*ucks.

big nasty kcnut
08-22-2009, 01:48 PM
I fucking hate the cowboys. They suck ass.

ChiefaRoo
08-22-2009, 02:22 PM
I'm pretty sure Jerry Jones is Ari's Grandpa.

Herzig
08-22-2009, 02:24 PM
My brother-in-law is a cowboys fan...he calls them "God's Team"

LaChapelle
08-22-2009, 02:25 PM
Jerry Jones can go fuck a land mine.

Gonzo
08-22-2009, 04:09 PM
At least the fucking thing didn't fall and paralyze anyone..(i.e. their practice facility)
Posted via Mobile Device

Raised On Riots
08-22-2009, 04:16 PM

:spock: God I hope we kick their ass this year.

Jerry Jones can go fuck a land mine.

ROFL This.

HermanHater
08-22-2009, 04:22 PM
It shouldnt even be a question. The N.F.L. should make his dumbass raise it.

beach tribe
08-22-2009, 04:31 PM

And that's ONE of the reasons why so many people hate them.

Most of their fans only like the team when they're good.
They won't even show allegiance when the boys suck.

I bartend at a sports bar. Have been for years. When the cowboys were not so good, I hardly ever saw any cowboys fans. Then they put a decent team together, and these shitheads show up with flags, and airhorns.
All the punks in my HS were all Cowboys fans back in the early 90s. HARDCORE. Now they're all Patriots fans, but don't worry, if the boys ever win the SB they will have those Dallas colors on with Pride. "Romo's my Boy!!!!"
I fuckin hate the Cowboys, and I LOVE to watch them lose. I LOVE it.

BigMeatballDave
08-22-2009, 04:33 PM
My brother-in-law is a cowboys fan...he calls them "God's Team"Blasphemy! Jerry Jones is kin to Satan...

Baconeater
08-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Their owner, mostly. And that whole "America's Team" crap.
And the constant junk-fondling by the media...and their obnoxious bandwagoning fans...

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Jerry Jones in denial. Big surprise. Blaming it on the punter doing it on purpose ROFL I wonder what the excuse will be next time it happens.

Buehler445
08-22-2009, 04:42 PM
The FOX coverage of it showed the punter in warmups hit it 4 times IN A ROW.

Then they showed Jones yelling at him. ROFL

In other news, I didn't realize they were just a couple inches bigger than the ones at Kaufman.

Fairplay
08-22-2009, 04:45 PM
It shouldnt even be a question. The N.F.L. should make his dumbass raise it.

I agree. I hope more teams kick into that darn thing.

KCtotheSB
08-22-2009, 05:01 PM
Nice stadium, cockwipe.

How about you get the field to be completely playable instead of having to have "workarounds" on the field because of your dipshittery...

TEX
08-22-2009, 05:02 PM
I heard that thing cost $40Million and it's going to cost hundreds of thousands in wireways to move it. What a bunch of dumb*ucks.

Get this - that scoeboard cost more than the entire Texas Stadium did when it was built. I have actually been in the new stadium and the first thing I said when I saw the scoreboard was that it was too low. It also obstructs the view of folks in the nose bleed seats. Jerry Jones got all caught up in having to have the biggest and the best stadium in the NFL, but he missed badly. He doesn't even have the best stadium in Texas. Reliant Stadium in Houston is hands down better.

Fairplay
08-22-2009, 05:18 PM
Jerry Jones and the scoreboard remind me of the Clint Eastwood movie Hang'em High.

Fish
08-22-2009, 05:42 PM
And that's ONE of the reasons why so many people hate them.

Most of their fans only like the team when they're good.
They won't even show allegiance when the boys suck.

That is true for every team though. There are some hardcore fans that are fans no matter what, but the greatest majority are bandwagoners who only care when the team is winning....

Mecca
08-22-2009, 06:23 PM
That stadium looks incredibly awesome....

tk13
08-22-2009, 07:27 PM
I thought the idea sounded awesome in print, but I'd have to say the scoreboard is almost too big. It's just about at the point of overkill. I'd have to think you'd be more inclined to watch the screen than the actual football game. That's what it looks like, a giant movie theater with football players running around underneath it.

I think it would be better if they'd put them at each end of the stadium. It's not like the K, it doesn't fit in with the design of the stadium or any of that. It's just a big giant TV screen hanging over the field to say "screw you, I could build a giant TV." Plus, how many other football stadiums even have a scoreboard hanging over the field?

Baconeater
08-22-2009, 07:33 PM
That is true for every team though. There are some hardcore fans that are fans no matter what, but the greatest majority are bandwagoners who only care when the team is winning....
The difference is those bandwagoners are for the most part in the geographical area of said team, Cowboy fans come out of the woodwork EVERYWHERE.

Psyko Tek
08-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Its a form of class envy.

Cowboys are one of the NFL's Tentpole Franchises.

for me it's mostly the fans

almost all I know are fair weather douche bags

Buehler445
08-23-2009, 08:22 PM
I thought the idea sounded awesome in print, but I'd have to say the scoreboard is almost too big. It's just about at the point of overkill. I'd have to think you'd be more inclined to watch the screen than the actual football game. That's what it looks like, a giant movie theater with football players running around underneath it.

I think it would be better if they'd put them at each end of the stadium. It's not like the K, it doesn't fit in with the design of the stadium or any of that. It's just a big giant TV screen hanging over the field to say "screw you, I could build a giant TV." Plus, how many other football stadiums even have a scoreboard hanging over the field?

The thing I thought was funny is when they were visible on the telecast, they were showing some close up picture of the back of some players jersey. That would annoy the piss out of me.

Bwana
08-23-2009, 08:54 PM
I was watching part of that game and saw they play live. I was like, WTF, they just spent how much money and couldn’t see that one coming? Dipshit move on the math.

Demonpenz
08-23-2009, 08:59 PM
the yankees and their homerun problem and the cowboys with their scoreboard problem. the scoreboard often can be seen in the telecast it is annoying as hell

DaFace
08-23-2009, 09:07 PM
I'd be interested in knowing if there's an NFL rule governing this type of thing. You'd think if people were hitting it every game, they would have to force the Cowboys to raise it up.

Buehler445
08-23-2009, 09:07 PM
I was watching part of that game and saw they play live. I was like, WTF, they just spent how much money and couldn’t see that one coming? Dipshit move on the math.

Yeah, I mean really. NO ONE thought, wow, they punt it high, what happens if....NAH BUILD IT BIGGER!

DaFace
08-23-2009, 09:08 PM

You wouldn't think math would be necessary. I would think most punters in the NFL could tell you how high it would need to be.

Bwana
08-23-2009, 09:10 PM
You wouldn't think math would be necessary. I would think most punters in the NFL could tell you how high it would need to be.

You wouldn't think............

Miles
08-23-2009, 09:16 PM
You would think engineers would have considered this sort of thing. Apparently it was approved for play by the league as well?

Still pretty amusing.

Predarat
08-23-2009, 09:23 PM
That is damn funny I hope it happens at least 3 times a game and someone breaks it. I would laugh my ass off if that damn thing broke.

Mecca
08-23-2009, 09:25 PM
I'm pretty sure a football can't break it the way it's designed....

Predarat
08-23-2009, 09:30 PM
hahahah F-off Cowboys!!! F-you and the new stadium you rode in on!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjx6vsR71sg&feature=related

Raised On Riots
08-23-2009, 09:56 PM
He doesn't have any bribe-money left for the NFL; he'll have to raise it.

RippedmyFlesh
08-23-2009, 09:56 PM
They put a hole in the roof of the last stadium so God could watch his favorite team play.:spock:
Ive been rooting against them for over 35 years.I can only root for them when they play denver, sd or oakland and I throw up a bit when I do that even though I know it's right.

Raised On Riots
08-23-2009, 10:13 PM
They put a hole in the roof of the last stadium so God could watch his favorite team play.:spock:
Ive been rooting against them for over 35 years.I can only root for them when they play denver, sd or oakland and I throw up a bit when I do that even though I know it's right.

LMAO I'd forgotten all about that one. :Lin:

StcChief
08-23-2009, 10:13 PM
ROFLwaahhh Cowc*nts.

Rain Man
08-23-2009, 10:16 PM
I couldn't believe this when I heard it. It's a five-minute calculation for any competent engineer. There's no excuse for this.

StcChief
08-23-2009, 10:19 PM
I couldn't believe this when I heard it. It's a five-minute calculation for any competent engineer. There's no excuse for this. was it engineered in TEXASS.....might explain alot.

Buehler445
08-23-2009, 10:21 PM
I couldn't believe this when I heard it. It's a five-minute calculation for any competent engineer. There's no excuse for this.

It could even fail the visual test. Or even the WTF test.

KChiefs1
08-23-2009, 10:32 PM
http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2009/aug/23/take-two/?sports

TAKE TWO: An alternative look at the day in sports

By Joe Walljasper (http://www.columbiatribune.com/staff/joe-walljasper/)
Sunday, August 23, 2009 (http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2009/aug/23/)

As American males make their first stab at self-suffiency, there is one in every crowd — generally, he is best described as a dude — whose first stop after signing the apartment lease is the electronics store. There, with visions of Super Bowl parties and Jerry Bruckheimer explosions dancing in his head, he plunks down his virginal credit card for the largest television in the showroom.

The logistics of squeezing a sofa-sized TV into a cramped living room that no longer has space for his actual sofa — nor for the guests who would be needed for a Super Bowl party — does not give him pause until he wedges the thing through the front door. He has some buyer’s remorse at that point, but it is not in his nature to admit that the electronic elephant in the room is a practical disaster. Did anyone really need access to the thermostat on the far wall anyway?

He might grow old and successful, but deep down, he’s still that dude. He is Dallas Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones.

His new $1.2 billion stadium is one man’s shrine to ostentation, and its least subtle feature is a monstrous scoreboard that dangles over the field. Its high-definition screen is 160 feet long and 90 feet tall.

Duuuuude.

Of course, a TV that size does have its drawbacks. For example, it took only three quarters of the first preseason game at Cowboys Stadium for a punt to ricochet off the board. Tennessee Titans backup punter A.J. Trapasso nailed it on Friday night. Titans starter Craig Hentrich said he routinely hit it during warm-ups.

“Some of the guys in the league wouldn’t be able to punt here if it’s not raised — they’d just be nonstop hitting it,” Hentrich told reporters after the game. “I don’t know what the people were thinking. I guess they should have tested things out before they put that thing in place.”

Added Trapasso: “I think after a billion dollars and the way you watch people kick, somebody could have figured that math out a little bit.”

But Jones isn’t budging, and neither is his scoreboard.

“How high is high if somebody just wants to sit there and kick straight up?” he asked rhetorically.

By rule, any time a punt bounces off the board will require a do-over. It’s a small price to pay for the chance to see Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders the size of skyscrapers.

Reach Joe Walljasper at 573-815-1783 or e-mail jwalljasper@columbiatribune.com (jwalljasper@columbiatribune.com).

Miles
08-23-2009, 10:39 PM
was it engineered in TEXASS.....might explain alot.

Not exactly a weakness in that state.

Raised On Riots
08-23-2009, 10:41 PM
I love Cowboy FAIL.LMAO

chefsos
08-23-2009, 11:07 PM
By rule, any time a punt bounces off the board will require a do-over.

If Jones won't move it, then change the rule to put the board in play, thereby relegating his stadium to JOKE status.

notorious
08-23-2009, 11:11 PM
The arrogance is vomit inducing. That is what gets me worked up. LOL at the punter and Fisher for sticking it up Jara Jones ass. ROFL

Miles
08-23-2009, 11:23 PM
If Jones won't move it, then change the rule to put the board in play, thereby relegating his stadium to JOKE status.

Board in play is even worse than punting again.

chefsos
08-23-2009, 11:30 PM
Board in play is even worse than punting again.

Well, yes, that's the point.

Guru
08-23-2009, 11:33 PM
SEnd Dustin over there to break the damned thing.

Buehler445
08-23-2009, 11:37 PM
SEnd Dustin over there to break the damned thing.

I'd see if I could plant one right in the middle of the screen.

CrazyPhuD
08-24-2009, 01:15 AM
If Jones won't move it, then change the rule so that ever hit on the board scores a point, thereby relegating his stadium to JOKE status.

fyp...

Raised On Riots
08-24-2009, 01:24 AM
If he won't raise it, it should become a ceremonial thing by the opposition to just tag the living shit out of that board on every first punt.

KCChiefsMan
08-24-2009, 01:27 AM
ya I saw that on sportscenter, that is hilarious! How did they not account for that?

KcMizzou
08-24-2009, 01:27 AM
Yeah, I mean really. NO ONE thought, wow, they punt it high, what happens if....NAH BUILD IT BIGGER!Heheh. Everything's gotta be bigger in Texas.

CrazyPhuD
08-24-2009, 01:30 AM
Heheh. Everything's gotta be bigger in Texas.

except the brains....

Guru
08-24-2009, 02:10 AM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fjx6vsR71sg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fjx6vsR71sg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I don't know. After seeing it I can kind of see JJs point. Not saying he purposely did it though. Just take out the words under the scoreboard and that thing clears.

Basileus777
08-24-2009, 02:46 AM
the yankees and their homerun problem

Well that's due to wind currents causing a jet stream to blow out into right field, not a stupid mistake like this. How do you not think about punts when determining how low that screen hangs?

Mecca
08-24-2009, 03:06 AM
Way to big of a deal is being made about this video board, you hit it you repunt it big fucking deal.

Guys punting on the NFL level should be able to directional punt enough to avoid hitting the video board.

Guru
08-24-2009, 03:11 AM
Way to big of a deal is being made about this video board, you hit it you repunt it big ****ing deal.

Guys punting on the NFL level should be able to directional punt enough to avoid hitting the video board.Though I do agree with you, the punters shouldn't have to change their punt angle due to a structure in the middle of the field. Air currents is one thing, this is completely another.

According to the video, Dallas used a punter to determine how low they could safely hang it. They obviously didn't bring in a very good one to test it.

Raised On Riots
08-24-2009, 03:13 AM
Though I do agree with you, the punters shouldn't have to change their punt angle due to a structure in the middle of the field. Air currents is one thing, this is completely another.

According to the video, Dallas used a punter to determine how low they could safely hang it. They obviously didn't bring in a very good one to test it.

They didn't bring Dustin in for testing, that much is for sure.

Raised On Riots
08-24-2009, 03:14 AM
I wanna' see the tape of Jerry yelling at the other guy.

salame
08-24-2009, 03:14 AM
http://www3.allaroundphilly.com/blogs/delcotimes/cvito/uploaded_images/backboard2-703105.jpg

Mecca
08-24-2009, 03:15 AM
The Dallas punter said something like you'd have to be going for a 5 second hang time punt to hit it...

I personally think the Titans guy hit it on purpose being it was preseason and everything.

Guru
08-24-2009, 03:15 AM
I wanna' see the tape of Jerry yelling at the other guy.

http://www3.allaroundphilly.com/blogs/delcotimes/cvito/uploaded_images/backboard2-703105.jpg
Damn, Jerry has a hell of a voice.:LOL:

Raised On Riots
08-24-2009, 03:25 AM
Well, since we're throwing down:

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv252/raisedonriots/vlcsnap-00011.jpg

salame
08-24-2009, 03:41 AM
http://static.guim.co.uk/Guardian/music/gallery/2008/jun/09/photography/GD7587368@Album-Prince-1979-by--3770.jpg

LaChapelle
08-24-2009, 04:53 PM
http://deadspin.com/5344216/cowboys-stadium-offers-valuable-seating-behind-this-brick-wall

video at link

We've already covered the new Cowboys Stadium's opulent luxury, from the $40 million scoreboard to the $60 pizzas. How about $75 seats where you can only see one-third of the playing field? Thank you, Jerry Jones for all your blessings!

GeekBrief.tv posted this longer video about the giant punt-blocking HDTV hanging over the field, but in the course of their visit they also discovered something special—the worst stadium seats imaginable. One is literally behind a cement column. The other sits up against a cement wall that obstructs all of the stadium except for one red zone. I'm not sure which exact seat this is, but there doesn't seem to be any indication on Ticketmaster that obstructed view seats are available or that they are any cheaper than the lowest listed price of $75. ($59 as part of a season ticket package.) The standing-room only morons get a better deal than that, but at least you get a chair.

How bad are these seats? You are in the same room with the world's largest video screen, a massive 160-by-90-foot egoriffic TV built specifically to give fans in the cheap seats a visual reminder that they are actually attending a football game ... and you can't even see that. Unless you've recently had your neck elongated, you are better off watching at home.

So when broadcasters are boasting every Sunday about the 100,000 maniacs feeding the Jerry Jones wishing machine, do you think they will mention the 35,000 (plus two!) fans who are paying money to not watch a football game with their own eyes? Please, sir, may we have some more?

Visiting the Largest HD Display in the World [GeekBrief.tv, via BobsBlitz]
Related: Cowboys' Massive New Stadium Not Big Enough To Play Football In
New Yankee Stadium Preserves Some Of That 1920s Charm

ChiefaRoo
08-24-2009, 05:56 PM
I can see why JJ is resisting moving it. It'll cost hundreds of thousands to do it. That being said. It's ridiculous.

Rain Man
08-24-2009, 06:03 PM
Though I do agree with you, the punters shouldn't have to change their punt angle due to a structure in the middle of the field. Air currents is one thing, this is completely another.

Yeah, it's ridiculous to have to stop the game because some advertisement is in the field of play. Move the thing.

And if you can put a structure in place to force a do-over, I would recommend that Arrowhead put some large mobile screens in place that are exactly the height and width of the goal posts. Lower them behind the goal posts before any opposing field goal attempt, and voila! Any field goal that is good must be re-kicked.

notorious
08-24-2009, 06:05 PM
I can see why JJ is resisting moving it. It'll cost hundreds of thousands to do it. That being said. It's ridiculous.

The thing is 5 feet over the league minimum. WTF was the NFL thinking on that measurement?

Jara is still being an arrogant SOB about it. If it is possible for the scoreboard to interfere with the game in ANY way, it should be moved. PERIOD.

Mecca
08-24-2009, 06:06 PM
If it's above the league minimum...it's the leagues fault.

notorious
08-24-2009, 06:13 PM

Yep. You can see why he is pissed, but he will probably raise it anyway. I don't think Jerry wants his 1.2 billion stadium to be the laughing stock of the NFL every other Sunday.

Rain Man
08-24-2009, 06:30 PM

Yeah. I wonder when they set the standard. Maybe 1965 when the Astrodome was built?

It shouldn't even be close. Even if you set it high, there's going to an occasional six-sigma punt where an epic NFL punting moment gets ruined.

Mecca
08-24-2009, 06:31 PM
This is my opinion, it's above the minimum and they demand he moves it...they should pay for it.

If you build something to rules and they don't like it, it's their fault for having stupid rules they pay for their mistake.

notorious
08-24-2009, 06:35 PM
Think about the strategy. The clock is running with 1 minute left and you have no time-outs. Send in the punter on 2nd down and punt the ball right into the jumbotron. Stop the clock for a re-do.

If they don't reset the clock, just send in your punter when you are trying to run down the clock and nail that sucker over and over again until you bleed a lot of time off.

The two scenarios above are not out of the realm of possibility........

Mecca
08-24-2009, 06:36 PM
All they would do, is reset the ball and clock and wind it on the officials signal it really wouldn't do anything.

Rain Man
08-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Think about the strategy. The clock is running with 1 minute left and you have no time-outs. Send in the punter on 2nd down and punt the ball right into the jumbotron. Stop the clock for a re-do.

If they don't reset the clock, just send in your punter when you are trying to run down the clock and nail that sucker over and over again until you bleed a lot of time off.

Yeah, I could see stuff like that happening. Fortunately for the league, it's not usually in the punting team's favor to hit it since they don't want the cover team running wind sprints 20 times in a row.

I wonder if there's a rule against having a corn maze on the field. That'd be pretty cool to watch.

notorious
08-24-2009, 06:43 PM
All they would do, is reset the ball and clock and wind it on the officials signal it really wouldn't do anything.

On ESPN they said the NFL would have to re-write their clock rules for this issue or teams will take advantage of it. I don't have a rule book sitting around or I would look it upand see if ESPN is reporting it correctly.

DaFace
08-24-2009, 06:44 PM

I'd think it would depend on how consistently a punter were able to hit it. That would be a pretty risky scenario for a punting team if it was only a 50/50 shot. But as you said, not out of the realm of possibility.

Rain Man
08-24-2009, 06:47 PM
I'd think it would depend on how consistently a punter were able to hit it. That would be a pretty risky scenario for a punting team if it was only a 50/50 shot. But as you said, not out of the realm of possibility.

What about my corn maze scenario? I think that would be a really good strategy for a team that can't control the line of scrimmage.

Buck
08-24-2009, 06:48 PM
I heard on the radio today that the NFL would have to pay for the change. It was either on Dan Patrick or Colin Cowherd, can't remember.

Rain Man
08-24-2009, 06:50 PM
Who was the team that would open a big gate on one end of the field when the opposing team was trying a field goal? Presumably it promoted swirling winds or something.

Buck
08-24-2009, 06:52 PM
Who was the team that would open a big gate on one end of the field when the opposing team was trying a field goal? Presumably it promoted swirling winds or something.

If I had to guess, I would say the Vikings?

I think the Twins tried something similar to that in the Metrodome.

Rain Man
08-24-2009, 06:54 PM
If I had to guess, I would say the Vikings?

I think the Twins tried something similar to that in the Metrodome.

It was some team with an outdoor stadium in the 80s or early 90s. I was thinking Patriots or Jets or Giants or something. Not sure.

chefsos
08-24-2009, 07:05 PM
It was some team with an outdoor stadium in the 80s or early 90s. I was thinking Patriots or Jets or Giants or something. Not sure.

Giants, I'm pretty sure. Maybe.

notorious
08-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Giants, I'm pretty sure. Maybe.

Giants 100%. You are correct.

Mecca
08-25-2009, 10:26 PM
Here is a well written blog on the situation and it sums up many things well that I agree with.

After the Titans game on Friday, when the new Cowboys Stadium exceeded everybody's expectations, the media and Cowboys haters could not accept the fact that the Cowboys and Jerry Jones had something that they wanted and finally found something to complain about...the awesome jumbotron.

Well, not the jumbotron itself (I'm sure that some haters will complain down the road that it is 'too distracting'), but instead how low the jumbotron was hanging. Now it's caused a national uproar and in typical media fashion (and the local Dallas media is out in front leading the way, again) there are little FACTS in the way of the complaints and the columns and blog posts are filled with hyperboles such as calling this 'an embarrassment.'

Good grief.

First off, the jumbotron can be raised. So that dashes the hopes of the haters who erroneously thought that Jerry Jones built a stadium with a fixed jumbotron that cannot be moved and the Cowboys would be 'stuck' with a jumbotron that gets in the way. Not only can it be moved, but it's going to be moved by U2 in an upcoming concert.

Secondly, the jumbotron not only meets, but EXCEEDS LEAGUE STANDARDS. The League Rules state that the jumbotron has to be at least 85 feet up in the air and it's actually 90 feet up in the air. This is probably the biggest FACT that the haters and critics refuse to acknowledge. If you want to rip into somebody, rip into the league. And as far as lifting the jumbotron goes, if it costs Jerry a penny I wouldn't want to pay for it if I was him. He asked the league and followed their rules, now they are saying he needs to change. Good, then the league should foot the bill.

All of this uproar and 'embarrassment' talk for 1 out of 14 punts that hit the jumbotron on Friday, even with McBriar...who has a top 3 leg in the league and is not hitting punts higher on purpose...did not hit the jumbotron once.

But let's talk a second about what I find embarrassing.

I find it embarrassing that we still have teams with stadiums that have baseball infields on the field in September and October. It's a complete eyesore, it makes the league and the team look second rate, it effects field goal kicking and it has caused injuries. Or how about the league's beloved Pittsburgh Steelers who allow almost every football team in Western PA. to play at Heinz Field during the week and if it rains, then we get stuck with watching football being played in a swamp with 3-0 shootouts and injuries abound.

THOSE are embarrasing stadiums. THOSE are stadiums that effect the game in play. THOSE are the stadiums that risk player safety.

So save your embarrassment for the right time, not just because you can't stand the Cowboys and Jerry Jones.

Raised On Riots
08-25-2009, 10:33 PM
Buzzkill.

tk13
08-25-2009, 11:27 PM
I don't like the baseball field stuff either. But that's not really any more stupid than hanging a scoreboard over the playing field. You could've put it on the end like any other football stadium in the United States.

Baconeater
08-25-2009, 11:47 PM
I hate those baseball infields as well, IMO teams that do that shit shouldn't be allowed any home games until baseball season is over.

Guru
08-25-2009, 11:54 PM
http://deadspin.com/5344216/cowboys-stadium-offers-valuable-seating-behind-this-brick-wall

video at link

We've already covered the new Cowboys Stadium's opulent luxury, from the $40 million scoreboard to the $60 pizzas. How about $75 seats where you can only see one-third of the playing field? Thank you, Jerry Jones for all your blessings!

GeekBrief.tv posted this longer video about the giant punt-blocking HDTV hanging over the field, but in the course of their visit they also discovered something special—the worst stadium seats imaginable. One is literally behind a cement column. The other sits up against a cement wall that obstructs all of the stadium except for one red zone. I'm not sure which exact seat this is, but there doesn't seem to be any indication on Ticketmaster that obstructed view seats are available or that they are any cheaper than the lowest listed price of $75. ($59 as part of a season ticket package.) The standing-room only morons get a better deal than that, but at least you get a chair.

How bad are these seats? You are in the same room with the world's largest video screen, a massive 160-by-90-foot egoriffic TV built specifically to give fans in the cheap seats a visual reminder that they are actually attending a football game ... and you can't even see that. Unless you've recently had your neck elongated, you are better off watching at home.

So when broadcasters are boasting every Sunday about the 100,000 maniacs feeding the Jerry Jones wishing machine, do you think they will mention the 35,000 (plus two!) fans who are paying money to not watch a football game with their own eyes? Please, sir, may we have some more?

Visiting the Largest HD Display in the World [GeekBrief.tv, via BobsBlitz]
Related: Cowboys' Massive New Stadium Not Big Enough To Play Football In
New Yankee Stadium Preserves Some Of That 1920s CharmNow that is some funny shit right there.

salame
08-26-2009, 03:57 AM
I love all the neg rep bugeater
keep it coming

salame
08-26-2009, 03:57 AM
http://www.freewebs.com/bugeatersbasketball/Bugeater%20Weblogo-1.GIF

LaChapelle
08-26-2009, 06:52 AM
The last time Jones had something lifted. It did not turn out well. THe concern is understandable.

Bane
08-26-2009, 06:55 AM
Jones said it would cost 2 million dollars to raise it.WOW!!!:doh!:

JuicesFlowing
08-26-2009, 07:04 AM
Jones said it would cost 2 million dollars to raise it.WOW!!!:doh!:

He's probably got 2 mill sitting in his change jar. But yeah, that would suck.

Deberg_1990
08-26-2009, 07:05 AM
I don't like the baseball field stuff either. But that's not really any more stupid than hanging a scoreboard over the playing field. You could've put it on the end like any other football stadium in the United States.

We all know that was about JJ's Texas sized ego more than anything.

Bane
08-26-2009, 07:11 AM
He's probably got 2 mill sitting in his change jar. But yeah, that would suck.

I know I'm just thinking,2 million to move a tv....:cuss:

Archie F. Swin
08-26-2009, 07:27 AM
All that super-mega-jumbotron is going to do is make all the cowgirls fans realize that its better (and a hellavalot cheaper) to watch the game in HD at home.

Archie F. Swin
08-26-2009, 07:30 AM
Now that is some funny shit right there.

http://deadspin.com/5323276/attendance-should-be-a-record-high-for-this-giveaway

Chiefnj2
08-26-2009, 08:24 AM
From what I've read there is an extremely long guideline for stadiums that was written 50 some odd years ago that Jones and the league followed. That old, outdated guideline allows for a 90 foot high screen. Jones did follow guidelines. The NFL needs to update it's guidelines based upon players being bigger and stronger than 50 years ago.

If U2 has already agreed to pay to move it for one of their concerts, split the cost with them and move it earlier so it doesn't interfere with games.

Demonpenz
08-26-2009, 09:00 AM
i have a couple of uncles that live down there. They are embarrassed as hell. Evidently even the screwups are bigger in texas LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO