PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Positions of need for cutdown day

Mr. Krab
08-22-2009, 12:27 PM
Sept 1: Roster cut down to maximum of 75 players
Sept 5: Roster cut down to maximum of 53 players
Sept 10-14: First weekend of regular season games

When teams start making cuts, what position do we need and what players might be let go that can fill them?

Big need
Right Guard
Right Tackle

Need
Center
Tightend
Wide Receiver
Kick Returner

Upgradeable
Fullback
Tailback
Nose Tackle

Any other position of need?

Mr. Krab
08-22-2009, 12:28 PM
The titans seem to be pretty stacked at Tightend

Scaife is their franchise guy, Alge Crumpler is a solid vet, Cook is a rookie with potiential

<table class="data-table1" style="width: 636px; height: 99px;" id="result" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="odd"><td>89</td> <td style="text-align: left;"> Cook, Jared (http://www.nfl.com/players/jaredcook/profile?id=COO152641)</td> <td>TE</td> <td>ACT</td> <td> 6'5"</td> <td>246</td> <td>4/7/1987</td> <td>0</td> <td>South Carolina</td></tr> <tr class="even"> <td>83</td> <td style="text-align: left;"> Crumpler, Alge (http://www.nfl.com/players/algecrumpler/profile?id=CRU467810)</td> <td>TE</td> <td>ACT</td> <td> 6'2"</td> <td>262</td> <td>12/23/1977</td> <td>9</td> <td>North Carolina</td></tr> <tr class="odd"> <td>47</td> <td style="text-align: left;"> Mulligan, Matthew (http://www.nfl.com/players/matthewmulligan/profile?id=MUL568545)</td> <td>TE</td> <td>ACT</td> <td> 6'4"</td> <td>270</td> <td>1/18/1985</td> <td>1</td> <td>Maine</td></tr> <tr class="even"> <td>88</td> <td style="text-align: left;"> Stevens, Craig (http://www.nfl.com/players/craigstevens/profile?id=STE601672)</td> <td>TE</td> <td>ACT</td> <td> 6'3"</td> <td>255</td> <td>9/1/1984</td> <td>2</td> <td>California</td></tr> <tr class="odd"> <td>80</td> <td style="text-align: left;"> Scaife, Bo (http://www.nfl.com/players/boscaife/profile?id=SCA066535)</td> <td>TE</td> <td>ACT</td> <td> 6'3"</td> <td>249</td> <td>1/6/1981</td> <td>5</td> <td>Texas</td></tr></tbody></table>

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Everything

Mr. Krab
08-22-2009, 12:40 PM
Everything
Thanks Mecca.

JASONSAUTO
08-22-2009, 12:40 PM
Everything

Dane, we have qbs

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2009, 12:46 PM
The point it that every position on the Chiefs roster can be upgraded. Even third string QB could be upgraded if the "right" guy was out there. For example, I'd take J.D. Booty or Sage Rosenfels anyday of the week over Gutierrez and Croyle.

Every position that can be upgraded via trades or waiver wire should be upgraded.

That shouldn't even be in question.

Mr. Krab
08-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Dane, we have qbs
We have

QB's
CB's
Kicker
Punter
Left Tackle
Left Guard

We are going with
Safeties (Pollard,Page,Brown,McGraw(ST) )
DE's (Magee,Dorsey,Jackson,Boone)

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2009, 12:48 PM
We have

QB's
CB's
Kicker
Punter
Left Tackle
Left Guard

We are going with
Safeties (Pollard,Page,Brown,McGraw(ST) )
DE's (Magee,Dorsey,Jackson,Boone)

So, you're telling me that if Sage Rosenfels, J.D. Booty or Tavaris Jackson were available on the waiver wire, you wouldn't dump Gutierrez or Croyle in a heartbeat?

What?

Mr. Krab
08-22-2009, 12:50 PM
So, you're telling me that if Sage Rosenfels, J.D. Booty or Tavaris Jackson were available on the waiver wire, you wouldn't dump Gutierrez or Croyle in a heartbeat?

What?
Don't forget Payton Manning if he gets cut we gonna be all over that.

Every thread just has to be a dickfest for you, doesn't it.

just shut up.

JASONSAUTO
08-22-2009, 12:52 PM

What?

i wouldnt, sorry dane. i think we should get rid of croyle for marshall, and trade thigpen for anything, then throw gutierrez out as our #2 hell he's young and throws a good ball

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Don't forget Payton Manning if he gets cut we gonna be all over that.

Every thread just has to be a dickfest for you, doesn't it.

just shut up.

What the fuck are you talking about, asshole?

The Vikings are carrying 4 quarterbacks, dumbfuck. ONE of them will be cut.

If you don't think that any one of those guys would be an upgrade, your opinion is absolutely INVALID.

Cocksucker.

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2009, 12:55 PM
i wouldnt, sorry dane. i think we should get rid of croyle for marshall, and trade thigpen for anything, then throw gutierrez out as our #2 hell he's young and throws a good ball

Yeah, Jason, I know. You're a Croyle lover. But that's folly, IMO. Just because he's played well in preseason doesn't mean jack fucking shit. He's made of glass and if you can upgrade the position you do it.

JASONSAUTO
08-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Yeah, Jason, I know. You're a Croyle lover. But that's folly, IMO. Just because he's played well in preseason doesn't mean jack fucking shit. He's made of glass and if you can upgrade the position you do it.

dane i have NEVER liked croyle, you have me confused, thigpen on the other hand i liked due to the fact he made last year somewhat watchable. and i said to ship croyle. the croyle for marshall part was tongue in cheek. dane lighten up a little

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2009, 01:04 PM
dane i have NEVER liked croyle, you have me confused, thigpen on the other hand i liked due to the fact he made last year somewhat watchable. and i said to ship croyle. the croyle for marshall part was tongue in cheek. dane lighten up a little

Domo Origato, Mr. Sauto.

JASONSAUTO
08-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Domo Origato, Mr. Sauto.

ROFL

ncCHIEFfan
08-22-2009, 01:21 PM
You guys can be so informable..

RJ
08-22-2009, 01:42 PM
You guys can be so informable..

Don't you mean informamative?

RJ
08-22-2009, 01:44 PM
My "other" team is the Ravens and from what I've been reading they're going to have a tough time deciding which linebackers to keep. There's probably a good one in their camp that will be looking for work before long.

JASONSAUTO
08-22-2009, 01:45 PM
My "other" team is the Ravens and from what I've been reading they're going to have a tough time deciding which linebackers to keep. There's probably a good one in their camp that will be looking for work before long.

ray-ray? lol

veist
08-22-2009, 02:08 PM
For example, I'd take J.D. Booty or Sage Rosenfels anyday of the week over Gutierrez and Croyle

Why? Booty is going to be a fumble machine in the NFL if he ever starts, his hands are smaller than Culpepper's. They are seriously small for a QB in the NFL.

RJ
08-22-2009, 02:09 PM
This article is mostly about Dannell Ellerbe, a UDFA LB out of Georgia, but also addresses the LB situation in general. It's about 2 weeks old.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-sp.preston09aug09,0,6403227.column

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2009, 02:12 PM
Why? Booty is going to be a fumble machine in the NFL if he ever starts, his hands are smaller than Culpepper's. They are seriously small for a QB in the NFL.

Pedigree.

Starting QB for USC, 5th round choice and IMO, he's definitely got a future in the league.

Gutierrez? Croyle? Ha! One's been cut multiple times, the other can't stay off the injured list.

I'd take Booty any day of the week over either.

RJ
08-22-2009, 02:13 PM
I hear Sippio is available.

LaChapelle
08-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Does everyone cut have to go through waivers? #3, not a bad place to be.

Mr. Krab
08-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Don't you know that every QB from USC rulez!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Krab
08-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Yes, so we get pretty high dibs on who we want.

RJ
08-22-2009, 02:21 PM

I believe that a player can be released or placed on waivers. If he's placed on waivers and another team claims him, the team can pull him back and still keep his rights. Released is just that. The player is gone and is free game for any other team.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

-King-
08-22-2009, 02:22 PM
Pedigree.

Starting QB for USC, 5th round choice and IMO, he's definitely got a future in the league.

Gutierrez? Croyle? Ha! One's been cut multiple times, the other can't stay off the injured list.

I'd take Booty any day of the week over either.

Gutierrez has been cut multiple times? :spock:

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2009, 02:23 PM
Gutierrez has been cut multiple times? :spock:

Uh, yeah.

He was an undrafted free agent that was on the Patriots practice squad and active roster.

Besides that, he was cut for Andrew Fucking Walter.

Micjones
08-22-2009, 02:25 PM

Scaife is their franchise guy, Alge Crumpler is a solid vet, Cook is a rookie with potiential

<table class="data-table1" style="width: 636px; height: 99px;" id="result" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="odd"><td>89</td> <td style="text-align: left;"> Cook, Jared (http://www.nfl.com/players/jaredcook/profile?id=COO152641)</td> <td>TE</td> <td>ACT</td> <td> 6'5"</td> <td>246</td> <td>4/7/1987</td> <td>0</td> <td>South Carolina</td></tr> <tr class="even"> <td>83</td> <td style="text-align: left;"> Crumpler, Alge (http://www.nfl.com/players/algecrumpler/profile?id=CRU467810)</td> <td>TE</td> <td>ACT</td> <td> 6'2"</td> <td>262</td> <td>12/23/1977</td> <td>9</td> <td>North Carolina</td></tr> <tr class="odd"> <td>47</td> <td style="text-align: left;"> Mulligan, Matthew (http://www.nfl.com/players/matthewmulligan/profile?id=MUL568545)</td> <td>TE</td> <td>ACT</td> <td> 6'4"</td> <td>270</td> <td>1/18/1985</td> <td>1</td> <td>Maine</td></tr> <tr class="even"> <td>88</td> <td style="text-align: left;"> Stevens, Craig (http://www.nfl.com/players/craigstevens/profile?id=STE601672)</td> <td>TE</td> <td>ACT</td> <td> 6'3"</td> <td>255</td> <td>9/1/1984</td> <td>2</td> <td>California</td></tr> <tr class="odd"> <td>80</td> <td style="text-align: left;"> Scaife, Bo (http://www.nfl.com/players/boscaife/profile?id=SCA066535)</td> <td>TE</td> <td>ACT</td> <td> 6'3"</td> <td>249</td> <td>1/6/1981</td> <td>5</td> <td>Texas</td></tr></tbody></table>

I'd be all over Crumpler were he cut...
He's a guy that can block and catch the football.
Gives you an extra option in the Red Zone as well.

I think I also look to bring in an OLB who can rush the QB...
A Guard for depth...
And perhaps someone to help man the return duties...
That's a SERIOUS problem. We have VERY little there.

Skip Towne
08-22-2009, 02:29 PM
It's time for Haley to pick up 22 players off the street (we keep the kicker and punter)

ILChief
08-22-2009, 02:31 PM
I believe that a player can be released or placed on waivers. If he's placed on waivers and another team claims him, the team can pull him back and still keep his rights. Released is just that. The player is gone and is free game for any other team.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I think you're wrong. It depends on how many years service the player has. If they have played under X number of years, they must clear waivers. If they have played X or more years, they are an unrestricted free agent when released. I'm not sure what number X is though.

riskrevival
08-22-2009, 02:31 PM

A Guard for depth...

I'm guessing you have not watched a Titans game lately and seen Crumpler. Haley would not stand for someone that slow and overweight that I'm sure can't run a route to save his life anymore either.

Chocolate Hog
08-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Dajuan Morgan needs to be released. We should look at Levi Jones.

Micjones
08-22-2009, 02:38 PM
I'm guessing you have not watched a Titans game lately and seen Crumpler. Haley would not stand for someone that slow and overweight that I'm sure can't run a route to save his life anymore either.

Actually I have...
I watched the Hall of Fame Game and he played fairly well.

Buehler445
08-22-2009, 02:49 PM

A Guard for depth...

Gah. I don't know if I want Crumpler. He's broke down. Bad.

KCDC
08-22-2009, 02:56 PM
I think that is the list Krabby, though I would add a center. Yeah, I think there may be decent TEs cut. The draft this year was full of them.

But, where are we going to get a RT, RG and a center? I don't know of a single team that is so deep in linemen that they might cut someone good.

Spicy McHaggis
08-22-2009, 04:19 PM

If they let Stevens walk I wouldn't mind the Chiefs snatching him up.

OnTheWarpath58
08-22-2009, 04:26 PM
If they let Stevens walk I wouldn't mind the Chiefs snatching him up.

Can't believe your the first to mention him.

He's exactly the guy I was eyeballing on that list.

Chocolate Hog
08-22-2009, 04:29 PM
Jereamy Stevens?

RJ
08-22-2009, 04:32 PM
I think you're wrong. It depends on how many years service the player has. If they have played under X number of years, they must clear waivers. If they have played X or more years, they are an unrestricted free agent when released. I'm not sure what number X is though.

I can't vouch for this explanation, but it does jibe with your post.

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2009/5/30/893603/let-me-explain-the-nfl-waiver-wire

First, the waiver wire is used exclusively for players with less than 4 years of of service to an NFL squad. Once this player is placed on waivers, any team may claim him. If a player is claimed by more than one team, then the team with the worst record is awarded his rights.

This means that a player is retained by a new employer at the exact same contract he signed with his previous employer. This keeps the teams from having to negociate new contracts with players when they are released. It also helps the teams because there are frequently players who are cut that have ability, the lower your win-loss ratio, the better your chance of nabbing these players.

Players with four or more accured seasons in the NFL are exempt from the waiver system. They immediately become free agents upon release.

milkman
08-22-2009, 04:40 PM
This article is mostly about Dannell Ellerbe, a UDFA LB out of Georgia, but also addresses the LB situation in general. It's about 2 weeks old.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-sp.preston09aug09,0,6403227.column

Yeah, the Ravens are almost certain to cut at least one good LB.

They are stacked.

Chocolate Hog
08-22-2009, 04:50 PM
I don't think the Pats will cut Julian Edelman but he's a guy the Chiefs could use. He's like Wes Welker and a good special teams player. He played QB at Kent State.

Buehler445
08-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Yeah, the Ravens are almost certain to cut at least one good LB.

They are stacked.

The good news is Detroit isn't running a 3-4. Did St. Loser switch to 3-4? I can't remember.

googlegoogle
08-22-2009, 05:21 PM
The point it that every position on the Chiefs roster can be upgraded. Even third string QB could be upgraded if the "right" guy was out there. For example, I'd take J.D. Booty or Sage Rosenfels anyday of the week over Gutierrez and Croyle.

Every position that can be upgraded via trades or waiver wire should be upgraded.

That shouldn't even be in question.

that's why you're doing old men by the road.

the Talking Can
08-22-2009, 05:22 PM

damn i wanted this guy, freakin udfa.....

RJ
08-24-2009, 09:10 AM
The Dolphins just cut Chris Williams, a kid who went to high school in my town and later played for New Mexico State. He's too small to play receiver but might end up a good return guy. Fast and good hands. Obviously there's a reason Miami cut him, but he could be an improvement to what we have. Or not.

Shox
08-24-2009, 09:21 AM

What?

Croyle yes. He is too small and too fragile to be an NFL QB.

Gutierrez no. He will be the #2 sooner rather than later. (Acutally for Sage maybe, but Booty and Jackson no way).

Just Passin' By
08-24-2009, 09:31 AM
Croyle yes. He is too small and too fragile to be an NFL QB.

Gutierrez no. He will be the #2 sooner rather than later. (Acutally for Sage maybe, but Booty and Jackson no way).

If Gutz is your #2 QB, you'd better pray with all your might that nothing happens to your #1.

Chiefnj2
08-24-2009, 09:41 AM
I want my backup to be a guy that isn't going to lose games for me, so Tavaris is out. I'd take Sage over Croyle.

Chiefnj2
08-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Possible cut - Brandon McKinney (NT Ravens).

aturnis
08-24-2009, 11:47 AM
The Dolphins just cut Chris Williams, a kid who went to high school in my town and later played for New Mexico State. He's too small to play receiver but might end up a good return guy. Fast and good hands. Obviously there's a reason Miami cut him, but he could be an improvement to what we have. Or not.

Averaged 32yds. per return in his first preseason game. Don't know about the 2nd. Fumbled 1 ball in each. Looks like a guy who could at least compete. I'd be excited about his return ability, not so excited about the dropsies.

OnTheWarpath58
08-24-2009, 12:42 PM
At WR I'd be looking for Kevin Ogletree to be cut in Dallas, possibly Jordan Kent in Seattle, and I'm hearing that the Giants might cut David Tyree.

aturnis
08-24-2009, 12:43 PM
This guy might be available.

Ravens' Fein arrested, charged with assaulting police officer (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8121a95c&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

RJ
08-24-2009, 02:03 PM
Averaged 32yds. per return in his first preseason game. Don't know about the 2nd. Fumbled 1 ball in each. Looks like a guy who could at least compete. I'd be excited about his return ability, not so excited about the dropsies.

I had meant to include this link. Yeah, drops are bad, but I recall the scouting reports on him mentioning that he had good hands. I think the Dolphins may have cut him because they had a couple bigger guys who could play receiver as well as return kicks.

I've seen Williams play, he can be very exciting when he gets his hands on the ball.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking-news/story/1197117.html

Micjones
08-24-2009, 02:11 PM
At WR I'd be looking for Kevin Ogletree to be cut in Dallas, possibly Jordan Kent in Seattle, and I'm hearing that the Giants might cut David Tyree.

Meh...
I'd take a look at Ogletree maybe...
He's got a good combination of size and speed.

Chief Faithful
08-24-2009, 02:16 PM

What?

I'd take Booty or Rosenfels in a heart beat over Thigpen or Gutierrez. I have no interest in Jackson. I like Croyle at #2.

Chief Faithful
08-24-2009, 02:20 PM
Dajuan Morgan needs to be released. :clap:

Frosty
08-24-2009, 02:29 PM
possibly Jordan Kent in Seattle

We already have a bunch of receivers that can't catch. Kent passes the eyeball test but is terrible as a WR.

alpha_omega
08-24-2009, 02:36 PM
From what i have seen there is no way Crumpler is 262....he has to be at least 285.

Mecca
08-24-2009, 02:54 PM
David Tyree has no chance of making the Giants roster, he's a good special teamer so he'd likely have more value than Darling or Copper does.

The Giants are going to carry 6 WR's 5 guys are locks Smith, Nicks, Manningham, Hixon and Barden are absolute locks...so that leaves basically 1 spot between guys like Sinorice Moss, Derek Hagan, David Tyree and a couple other guys they have up there.

OnTheWarpath58
08-24-2009, 02:56 PM
David Tyree has no chance of making the Giants roster, he's a good special teamer so he'd likely have more value than Darling or Copper does.

The Giants are going to carry 6 WR's 5 guys are locks Smith, Nicks, Manningham, Hixon and Barden are absolute locks...so that leaves basically 1 spot between guys like Sinorice Moss, Derek Hagan, David Tyree and a couple other guys they have up there.

I'm betting Spags puts in a waiver claim for him.

St Louis is even more desperate for WR's and ST'ers than we are.

Chocolate Hog
08-24-2009, 03:07 PM
No Julian Edelman fans eh?

boogblaster
08-24-2009, 03:25 PM
We need another good WR .. anyone that even resembles a NT .. KR we dont even have anyone at that position .. O-linemen, load up on every s.o.b that can still stand-up and piss KC red ....

Just Passin' By
08-24-2009, 03:54 PM
No Julian Edelman fans eh?

He'll likely be making the Patriots Roster, according to the beat reporters.

Sure-Oz
08-24-2009, 05:55 PM
Ernest Wilford-WR- Dolphins Aug. 24 - 9:00 am et

Dolphins released WR/TE Ernest Wilford.
Wilford failed as a receiver, and the experiment to make him a tight end also was a mess. The Fins will take a $1.5 million cap hit to cut ties with the 2008 free agent bust. Wilford, 30, entered the league with marginal speed and has lost several steps. He won't be a hot item in free agency.
Source: Drew Rosenhaus on Twitter

PRINT EM!