PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs’ line problems mean Cassel will have to get used to scrambling

Tribal Warfare
08-23-2009, 11:08 PM
Chiefs’ line problems mean Cassel will have to get used to scrambling (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1400787.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Chiefs coach Todd Haley saw Matt Cassel get sacked three times and then have to either run for his life or throw quicker than he’d prefer on most of his pass attempts in Friday night’s preseason game in Minnesota.

Rather than cringe at the possibility of injury to his quarterback, Haley liked how Cassel responded to the constant pressure. He also acknowledged that because of offensive-line problems, it may be something Cassel has to get used to.

“That’s going to be life for Matt a little bit early on,” Haley said. “He needs to be able to get out and make plays like that. That’s one of the things I said about him from the start that I was excited about that maybe I didn’t have where I came from was a big guy that can run. That’s a weapon we’ve got to utilize from a scrambling point of view if not a design point of view.”

Even so, Haley may see Cassel scrambling more than he’d like. The Chiefs had designs on frequently throwing down the field against the Vikings but had to change plans because Cassel was so often harassed.

He dropped back to throw 19 times but was sacked the three times and tucked the ball and ran twice. His longest completion went for only 20 yards, and he played only the first half when the Vikings didn’t use two of their better defensive linemen, Pat Williams and Jared Allen.

“That’s a pretty good defense we played against,” Haley said. “They didn’t have all of their big guns in there, but they’re going to be one of the better defenses.

“But we weren’t up to the task like I hoped we would be as far as matching up physically with them. We’ve got to get better there. I thought we’d be a little more physical and kind of rise to the occasion more than we did across the board.”

Many of the pass-protection problems emanated from the right side of the line, where the Chiefs gave Barry Richardson the first start of his NFL career at tackle. A sixth-round draft pick last year, Richardson played only on special teams in six games as a rookie.

Unhappy with veteran Damion McIntosh, the Chiefs promoted Richardson into the starting lineup last week. Richardson was responsible for blocking defensive end Ray Edwards, who hurried Cassel on each of his first two passes.

Richardson was also later guilty of a false-start penalty. McIntosh replaced Richardson at the start of the second quarter while the rest of the line starters played through the first half.

“I thought he did enough good things to still believe he’s got a chance to be a player at some point,” Haley said of Richardson. “Now when that is, I don’t know. There was enough poor in there to say he’s not ready for prime time.”

Haley sounded weary when asked whether the Chiefs would hang in with Richardson as their starter this week, including Saturday night’s game against Seattle at Arrowhead Stadium.

“I don’t know,” Haley said. “We’ll keep working at it. We need somebody to play right tackle. It’s just a little inconsistent right now so that’s an area we’ve got to be concerned with. We need to improve.”

Herb Taylor played some at right tackle the last couple of seasons. For now, Taylor is the main reserve at left tackle, and Haley indicated Taylor struggled there against the Vikings.

But Haley said Taylor could eventually get a trial on the right side.

“Potentially,” Haley said. “But you don’t want to start moving these guys around too much.”

The problems of the blocking unit are also hampering the running game. Larry Johnson had an 18-yard run up the middle in Minnesota but otherwise carried seven times for 3 yards.

Despite the longer run, he is averaging only 2.8 yards per carry in the two preseason games. That, too, maybe something Johnson and the Chiefs have to live with.

“A lot of times, all we needed was one block,” Haley said. “If we had one block on five or six of those runs, we had a chance to have a pretty good running day. That’s the glass half-full in me.”

Fruit Ninja
08-23-2009, 11:15 PM
How fucking stupid is that title. Captain Obvious to the rescue.

Just Passin' By
08-23-2009, 11:28 PM
“That’s going to be life for Matt a little bit early on,” Haley said. “He needs to be able to get out and make plays like that. That’s one of the things I said about him from the start that I was excited about that maybe I didn’t have where I came from was a big guy that can run. That’s a weapon we’ve got to utilize from a scrambling point of view if not a design point of view.”

He could have ended the article pretty much right there.

kcchiefsus
08-23-2009, 11:45 PM
Idk, try drafting some fucking offensive linemen for a chance. It's pretty sad when us fans saw this coming yet the team didn't have enough sense to do anything to fix the offensive line. This team is going nowhere until we start drafting some pieces for the line.

Just Passin' By
08-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Idk, try drafting some ****ing offensive linemen for a chance. It's pretty sad when us fans saw this coming yet the team didn't have enough sense to do anything to fix the offensive line. This team is going nowhere until we start drafting some pieces for the line.

The team sucked. The building had to start somewhere. If they had gone for offensive linemen, people would be complaining that they didn't address the defensive line.

Swazey
08-24-2009, 12:08 AM
The team sucked. The building had to start somewhere. If they had gone for offensive linemen, people would be complaining that they didn't address the defensive line.

I agree... it's sad that we have been trying to address the D line for a couple of years.... I'm hopeful that our Dline issues are a thing of the past, due to Dorsey, Tyler, and Jackson smashing faces.

splatbass
08-24-2009, 01:50 AM
Idk, try drafting some ****ing offensive linemen for a chance. It's pretty sad when us fans saw this coming yet the team didn't have enough sense to do anything to fix the offensive line. This team is going nowhere until we start drafting some pieces for the line.

They can't fix everything in one year. Last year the defense was worse than the offense, so they started there. They had to make a choice. Patience.

salame
08-24-2009, 02:00 AM
http://erincooks.com/images/scrumptious%20scramble/scrumptious%20scramble%20-%206.jpg

Mecca
08-24-2009, 02:00 AM

I disagree with that...after the Chiefs first 2 picks there were numerous guys available that are better options than what we have on the OL.

TEX
08-24-2009, 07:36 AM
They can't fix everything in one year. Last year the defense was worse than the offense, so they started there. They had to make a choice. Patience.

Who cares if the defense sucked??? It has for years. With the departure of Carl and Herm, the slate was wiped clean meaning they could have gone in any direction regardless of the past or the state of the team. Once they knew they were going to target a franchise QB, one that this franchise has been crying for since Dawson, they could have and should have done way more to try and protect him. This has bothered me all off season. If he gets killed, what's the freaking point?

Reerun_KC
08-24-2009, 07:39 AM
Who cares if the defense sucked??? It has for years. With the departure of Carl and Herm, the slate was wiped clean meaning they could have gone in any direction regardless of the past or the state of the team. Once they knew they were going to target a franchise QB, one that this franchise has been crying for since Dawson, they could have and should have done way more to try and protect him. This has bothered me all off season. If he gets killed, what's the freaking point?

I have to agree with Tex here... Shouldnt the OL been the highest of priorities? lnstead we drafted ANOTHER lazy DL out of Loser State U...

When cuts come and next offseason we have to make the OL a priority and rebuild the right side...

KCUnited
08-24-2009, 07:55 AM
No mention of Goff and Niswanger? Both played worse than Richardson. Right now I think its a wash between Richardson and McIntosh with Richardson having some upside.

Bwana
08-24-2009, 08:01 AM
Heh, we were talking about this months ago. Someone should start a thread about which week our new starting QB is going to get knocked out for the year, the poor son of a gun. This line is the pits.

wild1
08-24-2009, 08:06 AM
If they could trade a mid round pick for one competent lineman, things would be a lot better. As it stands, when you have 3 of the 5 who are suspect and could whiff at any time, it's not going to be easy.

bsp4444
08-24-2009, 08:16 AM
In a draft as deep in O-Linemen as this one, all we got was Colin Brown...who may be ok, but I think there was a real opportunity lost.

Jethopper
08-24-2009, 09:12 AM
Water is wet.

Reerun_KC
08-24-2009, 09:16 AM
If they could trade a mid round pick for one competent lineman, things would be a lot better. As it stands, when you have 3 of the 5 who are suspect and could whiff at any time, it's not going to be easy.

I would say 4 out of 5... We still have crying Waters, who isnt getting any younger..

We need a complete OL rebuild and I hope in next draft and offseason this is the priority on this team...

CoMoChief
08-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Next season we need to draft only OL,WR, LB

You can make argument for a true NT.

Of course hopefully we can snag some good FA's or make a trade for a top player at either of those positions as well.

This team is closer than people think to being a good consistent winning football team.

CoMoChief
08-24-2009, 09:23 AM
WTF didn't we draft Duke Robinson in the 5th rd? I can't believe that guy fell that far?!?!?

Just Passin' By
08-24-2009, 09:25 AM
I disagree with that...after the Chiefs first 2 picks there were numerous guys available that are better options than what we have on the OL.

Thanks for that irrelevant response.

DaWolf
08-24-2009, 10:42 AM
They may have figured they'd have enough to get through the year, and could pick up some vets to come in. They probably didn't figure Goff would look as bad as he has and that none of the young guys would step it up. Chalk it up as a mistake in assessment, and they'll probably be plugging holes all year long there and have to hit it hard next year.

The other question is, with our new OL coach, how have the blocking schemes changed and how are players adapting to it?

Reerun_KC
08-24-2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks for that irrelevant response.

How is it irrelevant? there were OL in the rounds 3 and on that could/would be better than the ones we have...

Just Passin' By
08-24-2009, 11:00 AM
How is it irrelevant? there were OL in the rounds 3 and on that could/would be better than the ones we have...

That was my post. His response was completely irrelevant to it.

By the way, just as an aside.... How many offensive linemen drafted in round 4 or lower did you expect would become starters in their rookie season?

Casselvania
08-24-2009, 11:20 AM
You pay a QB that much cabbage, you should at least pick up 1 competent fucking offensive lineman for the right side so he doesn't get a shattered spinal cord.

DaWolf
08-24-2009, 11:34 AM

In theory. In fact we just traded for a guy that the 'Aints drafted in round 3 in 2007 and thought would be better than the guys they had... :)

B_Ambuehl
08-24-2009, 01:31 PM
I agree... it's sad that we have been trying to address the D line for a couple of years.... I'm hopeful that our Dline issues are a thing of the past, due to Dorsey, Tyler, and Jackson smashing faces

And we still don't have anybody that can play nose tackle.

the combination of Raji and Magee woulda been a helluva lot more of a fix then a lone Tyson Jackson.

Even when this ball club tries to do the right thing they manage to F it up somehow.

Halfcan
08-24-2009, 02:23 PM
our line sucks-didnt know that

Chocolate Hog
08-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Not anymore bitch

Toad
08-24-2009, 08:45 PM
So...just to recap - it's going to be another loooong year.