PDA

View Full Version : Obama Obama to lead prisoner interrogations

KC Dan
08-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble. I didn't know it was already Thanksgiving. This administration is working overtime to gobble up power. (yes, i know the title is somewhat misleading. hehehehe)

Obama spokesman announces interrogation unit

WASHINGTON President Barack Obama has approved creation of a new, special terrorism-era interrogation unit to be supervised by the White House, a top aide said Monday, further distancing his administration from President George W. Bush's detainee policies.

The administration has also decided that all U.S. interrogators will follow the rules for detainees laid out by the Army Field Manual, according to senior administration officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the decision. That decision aims to end years of fierce debate over how rough U.S. personnel can get with terror suspects in custody.

The new unit does not mean the CIA is now out of the interrogation business, deputy White House press secretary Bill Burton told reporters covering the vacationing Obama at Oak Bluffs, Mass.

Burton said the unit will include "all these different elements under one group," and it said that it will be situated at the FBI headquarters in Washington.

The unit would be led by an FBI official, with a deputy director from somewhere in the government's vast intelligence apparatus, and members from across agencies. It will be directly supervised by the White House, but the senior administration officials insisted the unit's agency bosses will make operational decisions, not the White House. Yeah, right! I believe them

The officials also said that in cases where terror suspects are transferred to other countries, the U.S. will work harder to ensure the suspect is not tortured.

Separately, Burton said that a recommendation now before Attorney General Eric Holder to reopen and pursue prisoner abuse cases is a decision solely for Holder to make without any intervention from the president.

The structure of the new unit the White House is creating would depart significantly from such work under the previous administration, when the CIA had the lead and sometimes exclusive role in questioning al-Qaida suspects.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/24/hig-obama-approves-new-el_n_266830.html

petegz28
08-24-2009, 10:47 AM
LMAO....going to run the car companies, control the climate, control the banks, control health care and now control interogatiions.....what would we ever do without the superman that is Obama?

RINGLEADER
08-24-2009, 10:50 AM
It will be directly supervised by the White House, but the senior administration officials insisted the unit's agency bosses will make operational decisions, not the White House.

Translation: If it yields any intelligence or stops an attack then Obama will take all the credit. Any SNAFU or failures and it's all on the the agency.

Donger
08-24-2009, 11:03 AM
Interrogation by teleprompter? I'm sure it will be a great success.

blaise
08-24-2009, 11:56 AM
I think that means they'll be interrogating prisoners to find all they can about how mistreated they were under Bush.
"Start talking."
"You want to know our plans to attack America?"
"No, we want to know all the mean things the US gov't did to you."
"But I know of plans to bomb a bridge. I can tell you about that."
"We'll get back to that. Tell us about torture for now."

KILLER_CLOWN
08-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Don't worry neocons this is all about whitewashing the entire thing to give those who weren't really concerned to begin with a sense of closure.