PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Save us Rahm, Barrack, Dems from the flu!

KC Dan
08-24-2009, 05:41 PM
Sounds like a crisis to me. Quick! Let's pass a spending bill! No fear-mongering here...

Swine flu could kill hundreds of thousands in U.S. if vaccine fails, CDC says

As much as 40% of the workforce could be affected during the peak of a pandemic, health officials say, noting low resistance to the H1N1 virus and its persistence through the summer months.

By Thomas H. Maugh II
July 25, 2009

Hundreds of thousands of Americans could die over the next two years if the vaccine for the new H1N1 influenza is not effective and, at the pandemic's peak, as much as 40% of the workforce could be affected, according to new estimates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Worldwide, up to a third of the Earth's 6 billion population is likely to become infected with the virus, according to the World Health Organization.

Although potentially frightening, the numbers are not dramatically different from the number of cases that might be encountered in a bad winter of seasonal flu. Even in an unremarkable year, an estimated 36,000 Americans die from complications of the flu.

The estimates, prepared more than a month ago but released only today in an interview with the Associated Press, are not based on an enhanced lethality of the new H1N1 virus, but rather on the lack of resistance to the virus in the general population and its continuing spread through the summer months, when flu viruses normally are less active.

Twenty states are now reporting widespread or regional flu activity, with the H1N1 virus predominating, according to Dr. Anne Schuchat, director of the CDC's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases. "That's very unusual at this time of year," she said. "It's a testament to how susceptible people are to the virus."

British health authorities have reported 100,000 new cases of the virus, known informally as swine flu, in the past week, indicating that the virus is continuing to spread there as well. Experts blame the higher rate in that country, compared to the rest of Europe, on Britain's role as a transportation hub for the continent.

U.S. cases have been concentrated in summer camps and military installations, where young people gather in close proximity. "This has been a challenging summer for camps, with a lot of outbreaks" and closures, Schuchat said. There have been many media reports of summer camps urging children to bring the antiviral drug Tamiflu to camp and take it even if they don't have the disease, and that has concerned the CDC because such widespread use could lead to increased resistance to the drug, which is the first line of defense in treating infected people.

In cases the agency has investigated, however, it has been unable to confirm such reports.

The agency recommends that the drug be administered only to infected patients and as a preventive measure to high-risk people who are in close contact with flu patients.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/jul/25/science/sci-swine-flu25

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112181823&ft=1&f=1001

KC Dan
08-24-2009, 05:43 PM
I especially liked this quote from the 2nd article I linked.

"In the report, the President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology predicted this fall's expected outbreak of the H1N1 flu would be a "serious health threat," infecting more people than the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic but claiming fewer lives."

Saul Good
08-24-2009, 06:13 PM

"In the report, the President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology predicted this fall's expected outbreak of the H1N1 flu would be a "serious health threat," infecting more people than the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic but claiming fewer lives."

It's good that it won't kill 300,000,000 people like the 1918 flu did (adjusted for worldwide population).

KILLER_CLOWN
08-24-2009, 06:35 PM
Funny how most of the people infected that have died were already dieing from other ills but we'll just link the 100 or so deaths to the swine flu.

Saul Good
08-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Funny how most of the people infected that have died were already dieing from other ills but we'll just link the 100 or so deaths to the swine flu.

They were already weakened by global warming. Swine flu just finished the job.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-24-2009, 06:37 PM

How did they live in the early 1900's? did they wash their hands? what was hygiene like overall?

KILLER_CLOWN
08-24-2009, 06:38 PM
They were already weakened by global warming. Swine flu just finished the job.

ROFL ROFL

Saul Good
08-24-2009, 06:39 PM
How did they live in the early 1900's? did they wash their hands? what was hygiene like overall?

I can't tell you what they had, but I can tell you what they didn't have...a public option.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-24-2009, 06:40 PM
I can't tell you what they had, but I can tell you what they didn't have...a public option.

You mean to tell me a good bloodletting didn't take care of the virus?

Jenson71
08-24-2009, 07:52 PM
We really don't know how bad it could be. Obviously, hospitals and agencies should be looking at the worst (but still realistic) scenario.

Saul Good
08-24-2009, 07:58 PM
This has the potential to kill as many people as SARS, Monkeypox, Bird Flu, Mad Cow, and Hoof & Mouth diseases combined.