PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Haley says nobody has officially made the Chiefs team yet

Tribal Warfare
08-25-2009, 02:13 AM
Haley says nobody has officially made the Chiefs team yet (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1403811.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Finally, it appeared, there was a breakthrough on the practice field. In the Chiefs’ first session back in Kansas City after more than three weeks of training in Wisconsin, there was a single arrowhead sticker on one side of linebacker Mike Vrabel’s helmet.

That meant, of course, Vrabel had made the team. Coach Todd Haley had back in the spring famously ordered the arrowhead stickers removed from the helmets for practice, saying players would earn them back when they made the team.

So for the first part of practice, it looked as if Vrabel, even with just one Arrowhead sticker, was the first real Chief. And it wouldn’t be a poor choice. Vrabel in training camp has been everything the Chiefs hoped when they acquired him last winter in the trade with New England that also brought quarterback Matt Cassel.

But it was not to be. Midway through practice, an equipment guy grabbed Vrabel’s helmet during a break and ripped off the sticker.

Apparently, it was an oversight. The Chiefs returned from their recent game in Minnesota in the wee hours Saturday morning and, in their haste, the equipment staff missed one sticker on Vrabel’s helmet.

Still, no Chiefs player has officially made the team. Not Vrabel. Not Cassel and his multimillion dollar contract. Not cornerback Brandon Flowers, who is quietly having a fantastic camp.

“Not in my book,” Haley said. “I’m not trying to start controversy of any kind. It’s more of a point that we’re starting from ground zero and we’re going to earn the right to be Kansas City Chiefs.

“We’re not disrespecting anybody. We’re just keeping our word.”

Meanwhile, the Chiefs keep shuffling their roster in search of the perfect combination. They traded with Miami on Monday for offensive linemen Andy Alleman and Ikechuku Ndukwe. Alleman, a center and guard, and Ndukwe, a guard, could wind up starting when the regular season begins.

Without naming names, Haley acknowledged that certain players are locks to make the 53-man opening week roster, perhaps even half of the 80 players in camp. That would mean Cassel is safe. Vrabel and Flowers, too.

Others, like safety Jarrad Page, can safely buy and not rent.

But Haley insisted that doing everything in his power to create competition for roster spots is the best way to go for a team that won just six games in the last two seasons.

“There are probably some more obvious positions where guys are further along than others,” he said. “This is a ground zero start here, and we’re trying to get everybody on the same page and thinking the right way and thinking team first and individual second. We’ll see how that plays out.”

While aware Haley is trying to create competition for roster spots, players apparently had not been told why their helmets lacked the arrowhead stickers in practice. Vrabel, for instance, was puzzled that his helmet on Monday had a sticker one minute but not the next

“That’s Todd’s deal?” he asked. “I didn’t know.”

Evidently, Haley’s message is getting through. Flowers has done everything Haley asked, from making football his priority to being one of the best players on the practice field.

Still, Flowers said he understood why his helmet had no sticker.

“That’s the way to go,” he said. “Nobody has a job yet. We’re all still competing. I feel we have seven cornerbacks that can start so I still have to earn my spot on this team.”

Haley and general manager Scott Pioli turned over half the roster since joining the Chiefs last winter. Of the 80 players at practice Monday afternoon, 40 weren’t with the Chiefs last season and four weren’t with the Chiefs when they began camp.

Those numbers include Alleman and Ndukwe. Unhappy with the play of their offensive line in the loss to the Vikings, the Chiefs wasted little time in at least trying to upgrade.

Haley said more such moves could be coming.

“We’ve had scouts at every preseason game,” he said. “All those games are being watched. We’ve said from the start here that we will do anything and everything we can to make the team better. If that means adding somebody the day before the season starts … we’ll do it.

“It’s probably half the guys (currently in camp) that are going to find their way on the team, but you don’t know what’s going to happen. For me to make a statement like that and maybe the Chicago Bears or somebody releases somebody that some of our coaches start doing backflips over or Scott says, ‘Hey, this guy makes us better.’

“That’s why you can’t make those kinds of promises.”

Just Passin' By
08-25-2009, 02:21 AM
I think Haley's done a lot of good things so far. This stupidity with the helmets is not among them.

Thig Lyfe
08-25-2009, 02:24 AM
I love Brandon Flowers.

Ari Chi3fs
08-25-2009, 02:25 AM
I think Haley's done a lot of good things so far. This stupidity with the helmets is not among them.

I like it... No ones job is safe. Period.

I also like that the EGO of Carl Peterson and his "always right" and pride in his draft picks is gone... we want winners.

Having scouts at EVERY preseason game is huge as well. We are gonna pick up some decent players.

JuicesFlowing
08-25-2009, 02:26 AM
I like Haley. He's pretty much the exact opposite of the previous coach.

big nasty kcnut
08-25-2009, 03:04 AM
Piss on herm.

Mecca
08-25-2009, 03:06 AM
I'm not a fan of the helmets thing either, players know if they're on the bubble or not, helmet stickers or not.

I do like the looking for players other teams cut etc alot more than the Vermiel "these are our guys" mantra, I hated that with a passion.

JD10367
08-25-2009, 05:41 AM
Not sure I like the sticker idea. I think it could've worked better if he simply had logo-less helmets until the final cutdown day, at which point the 53 guys who made the final roster would get regular helmets. That would certainly send the appropriate message, i.e., you have to earn your spot on the team, no one is safe until the cuts are all over.

But Haley's attitude is the right one, at least. Very similar to Parcells and Belichick.

LaChapelle
08-25-2009, 06:36 AM
They removed the stickers so the WR's didn't have a ready source of stick'em.

InChiefsHell
08-25-2009, 07:24 AM
Still, Flowers said he understood why his helmet had no sticker.

“That’s the way to go,” he said. “Nobody has a job yet. We’re all still competing. I feel we have seven cornerbacks that can start so I still have to earn my spot on this team.”

This is the reason for the sticker thing. I like it. You don't get an Arrowhead until you earn it and make the team. Flowers knows he's a front runner, but he admits that it's good to know that there are 7 guys who are trying to get the same job, so he can't let up. Would he let up if he had his "Arrowhead" now? Probably not, but the concept is sound.

Go go gadget Haley...

InChiefsHell
08-25-2009, 07:25 AM
Not sure I like the sticker idea. I think it could've worked better if he simply had logo-less helmets until the final cutdown day, at which point the 53 guys who made the final roster would get regular helmets. That would certainly send the appropriate message, i.e., you have to earn your spot on the team, no one is safe until the cuts are all over.

But Haley's attitude is the right one, at least. Very similar to Parcells and Belichick.

Isn't that exactly what he's doing now?

Tuckdaddy
08-25-2009, 07:31 AM
Is he crazy or what? Nobody has made the team. Whatever? That can't be possible and he shouldn't say such stupid things. The 53 man roster has been decided minus a few or take a few.

InChiefsHell
08-25-2009, 07:34 AM
Is he crazy or what? Nobody has made the team. Whatever? That can't be possible and he shouldn't say such stupid things. The 53 man roster has been decided minus a few or take a few.

It may be a bit symbolic, but he's trying to be consistent. He's also instituting a mindset, not just with words but consistent action. I realize we Chiefs fans have no idea what to do with a guy like Haley, but that doesn't mean he's wrong.

Hell, I think he's the best coach we've had since Marty and that's without seeing what he will do in the regular season.

the Talking Can
08-25-2009, 07:40 AM

good grief

Count Alex's Losses
08-25-2009, 07:41 AM
The sticker thing would work better if they actually gave some out and created a have and have-not environment.

TheGuardian
08-25-2009, 07:54 AM

Really? So that's why we traded for two new linemen?

Sure, some guys like Cassel and Flowers and such are locks but it's about as wide open a competition as I've ever seen in any camp. Two weeks ago you might have said that McIntosh, Goff, and Niswnager were locks, but not now.

I like the sticker idea. Haley is trying to put some pride back into being a Chief. So if you don't like the sticker idea you're probably just one of those fans who like to have something to bitch about. Because a team that is made up of guys who are proud to be on it, will be a team that plays with cohesion and in unison and that is a team that will eventually play for championships.

InChiefsHell
08-25-2009, 07:57 AM
The sticker thing would work better if they actually gave some out and created a have and have-not environment.

That's probably coming...

jAZ
08-25-2009, 08:03 AM
I love it.

It not only is a symbol of the underlying competition to make the team. It adds an aura and a level of respect for the arrowhead icon.

JASONSAUTO
08-25-2009, 08:06 AM

yeah they are probably smart enough to not want to divide their team

jAZ
08-25-2009, 08:07 AM
It's the sort of college football gimmick that you can't always make work in the same way in the pros. But it seems like the kind of thing that could work, and from the sounds of it, it's not pissing off the pros like some other gimmicks might.

Mojo Jojo
08-25-2009, 08:14 AM
Why is everyone so surprised by this? We knew we were getting a hard-ass control freak coach. Guess what Bill Parcells (a former boss and the father-in-law of his current boss) did the same thing in Dallas. Do you really think TO wasn't making the team? No. This is a way to say I'm the boss and I don't care who you are. No free passes and I make the final decision.

For all the Herm haters you should love this approach.

DTLB58
08-25-2009, 08:39 AM
The exact quote was this:

The Arrowheads Adam, I didn't do it to try and start any kind of contorversy. It’s more of a point that we’re starting from ground zero and we’re going to earn the right to be Kansas City Chiefs".

I love that part.

Every Presser and practice I've heard Haley do reminds me of Parcells so I couldn't be happier right now.

I liken this rebuilding project to what Parcells did with the Giants. so....

1st season 3-12-1
2nd 9-7 1-1 Post season
3rd 10-6 1-1 Post season
4th 14-2 Super Bowl Win

Deberg_1990
08-25-2009, 08:46 AM
I anxiously await the first : "Cassel cut" or" Bowe cut" thread

SenselessChiefsFan
08-25-2009, 09:54 AM
I'm not a fan of the helmets thing either, players know if they're on the bubble or not, helmet stickers or not.

I do like the looking for players other teams cut etc alot more than the Vermiel "these are our guys" mantra, I hated that with a passion.

In DV's first year, they did some of this.... but I know that DV didn't like it in general. I see his point, though. Many times, a guy you think may be better isn't much better and he hasn't been in camp and doesn't know the system.

I think DV was a little too resistant and I think that Herm did it too much. Of course, DV's teams had more talent.... so that could be part of it.

I expect Haley to be more similar to Herm in this respect, but not quite to the point that Herm was. Herm seemed to bring a new guy every week or two during the season.

KCtotheSB
08-25-2009, 10:08 AM
I also am a fan of the "earn the Arrowhead" initiative. Far too long we've complained about lack of preparation, 4th quarter meltdowns due to poor conditioning, ineptness and apathy from Chiefs players. With new leadership in place, you have to get the message across that if you're going to be a Chief then you need to do things the right way while playing smart and hard. We all know Cassel, Bowe, Flowers and LJ are making the team, but the message needs to get across that NOBODY is above the team, so they all go Arrowhead-less. Personally, I love it...but I can see why people might think it's stupid.

Mr. Krab
08-25-2009, 10:22 AM
“We’ve had scouts at every preseason game,” he said. “All those games are being watched.

If that means adding somebody the day before the season starts … we’ll do it.
I particularly like the scout part

SNR
08-25-2009, 10:26 AM
I particularly like the scout part
Dude... gay

Just Passin' By
08-25-2009, 10:40 AM

I also like that the EGO of Carl Peterson and his "always right" and pride in his draft picks is gone... we want winners.

Having scouts at EVERY preseason game is huge as well. We are gonna pick up some decent players.

Unless Matt Cassel goes postal in downtown Kansas City, he's making the team. Having players like that dealing with this elementary school nonsense makes the entire exercise worthless. When you have people who've definitely made the team, and they still don't have the sticker, it invalidates Haley's argument and shows it to be just a gimmick, both in the eyes of the public and in the eyes of the players.

Rooster
08-25-2009, 10:41 AM
I hate it when players sit on their helmets. Just a pet peeve of mine. Carry on.

OnTheWarpath58
08-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Couldn't care less about Sticker-gate, but am very pleased to hear they are going to turn over every rock they can to improve this team before the season starts.

I'd be interested to find out why they didn't seem to worry about it until now, but that's for another thread.

CaliforniaChief
08-25-2009, 10:57 AM
Would love it if Haley had a few Raiders stickers that players who made mental errors had to wear on their helmets for the practice. Or if they were acting like pussies, they would have to have Broncos stickers and wear #6 or something like that.

kcjayhawks5
08-25-2009, 11:01 AM
giving players their stickers now would probably be bad in the sense that those players could begin to coast the rest of the pre season. i doubt anybody gets stickers until the final week of preseason. that said. the big name guys like bowe, cassel, flowers, vrabel will all be on the team obviously. haley knows what the hell he is doing.

Tuckdaddy
08-25-2009, 11:01 AM

Sure, some guys like Cassel and Flowers and such are locks but it's about as wide open a competition as I've ever seen in any camp. Two weeks ago you might have said that McIntosh, Goff, and Niswnager were locks, but not now.

I like the sticker idea. Haley is trying to put some pride back into being a Chief. So if you don't like the sticker idea you're probably just one of those fans who like to have something to bitch about. Because a team that is made up of guys who are proud to be on it, will be a team that plays with cohesion and in unison and that is a team that will eventually play for championships.

Take a chill pill muchaco. I said give or take a few. There's no way that they don't have 45 of the 53 picked out already. They've been evaluating and practicing since May. Only a stump minded idiot would actually believe otherwise

BigChiefFan
08-25-2009, 11:03 AM
It's real simple, make the team by working your ass off and peforming well and you become a Chief. It's guaranteed to have an Arrowhead on it, on game day.

JD10367
08-25-2009, 11:03 AM
I hate it when players sit on their helmets. Just a pet peeve of mine. Carry on.

That's an easy fix.

http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/uniforms3/steel-helmet.gif

boogblaster
08-25-2009, 11:49 AM
nobody is a strong statement .. someone has to start .. maybe public tryouts coming soon ...

Fish
08-25-2009, 11:57 AM
giving players their stickers now would probably be bad in the sense that those players could begin to coast the rest of the pre season. i doubt anybody gets stickers until the final week of preseason. that said. the big name guys like bowe, cassel, flowers, vrabel will all be on the team obviously. haley knows what the hell he is doing.

What makes you think that a sticker on the helmet would allow players to coast the rest of preseason? Do you believe that the sticker is going to prevent the coaches from demanding expected effort?

I don't see what difference a silly sticker makes in how a professional player is going to perform.

Tuckdaddy
08-25-2009, 12:17 PM
What makes you think that a sticker on the helmet would allow players to coast the rest of preseason? Do you believe that the sticker is going to prevent the coaches from demanding expected effort?

I don't see what difference a silly sticker makes in how a professional player is going to perform.

I agree. It's really just stupid at this point.

Quiet Storm
08-25-2009, 12:25 PM
LOL @ not knowing how your roster is going to look after 2 preseason games.

LOL @ taking away all stickers on helmets like it's the first week of high school football.

King_Chief_Fan
08-25-2009, 12:25 PM
nobody is a strong statement .. someone has to start .. maybe public tryouts coming soon ...

yup- any 22 guys off the street can win 2 games

Chief Faithful
08-25-2009, 12:34 PM
This is the reason for the sticker thing. I like it. You don't get an Arrowhead until you earn it and make the team. Flowers knows he's a front runner, but he admits that it's good to know that there are 7 guys who are trying to get the same job, so he can't let up. Would he let up if he had his "Arrowhead" now? Probably not, but the concept is sound.

Go go gadget Haley...

It is also a good message that nobody is bigger than the team. Herm used to talk about doing things the Chiefs way, but Haley is showing these guys what that means.

BigChiefFan
08-25-2009, 12:36 PM
The point of the sticker, no matter how trivial, is you have to EARN becoming a member of the team. The sticker is symbolic and isn't the big picture item, TEAM UNITY IS.

Chief Faithful
08-25-2009, 12:37 PM

:clap:

The Arrowhead is valuable and must be earned.

Chief Faithful
08-25-2009, 12:43 PM
I also am a fan of the "earn the Arrowhead" initiative. Far too long we've complained about lack of preparation, 4th quarter meltdowns due to poor conditioning, ineptness and apathy from Chiefs players. With new leadership in place, you have to get the message across that if you're going to be a Chief then you need to do things the right way while playing smart and hard. We all know Cassel, Bowe, Flowers and LJ are making the team, but the message needs to get across that NOBODY is above the team, so they all go Arrowhead-less. Personally, I love it...but I can see why people might think it's stupid.

They may know they are making the team, but he also has them working harder and grumbling less than ever before. His methods are working.

TheGuardian
08-25-2009, 01:42 PM
Take a chill pill muchaco. I said give or take a few. There's no way that they don't have 45 of the 53 picked out already. They've been evaluating and practicing since May. Only a stump minded idiot would actually believe otherwise

And only an idiot who posts on a message board would think he knows the minimum number of guys who are a lock to make the team. No one had Mays making this team as a "lock" when he was signed a few weeks ago. Certainly not.

Some guys ARE locks because of salary and play. But there is more competition at this camp than any other that I've ever seen, so to act like you know that Haley is talking out of his ass on this is retarded.

Just Passin' By
08-25-2009, 02:00 PM
Some guys ARE locks because of salary and play. But there is more competition at this camp than any other that I've ever seen, so to act like you know that Haley is talking out of his ass on this is retarded.

If the highlighted part is true, and it is, Haley is talking out of his ass on this. Thinking otherwise is the act of a fool. While it's technically true that 'anything can happen', the reality is that Cassel, Albert and Jackson, just to name three prime examples, are locks for this team, and everyone on that squad knows this.

Consistent1
08-25-2009, 02:09 PM
I think Haley should just shut his mouth at this point. He has played the tough guy card enough. What if the Chiefs really can only muster two wins after they manipulate the roster like crazy? It isn't like he and Pioli will have literally picked up some guys playing flag football. What if the bad losses pile up with that brutal NFC East run and continue? Will anybody give a **** about how tough Haley talked? Just like Belicheck is no doubt at least chuckling about Rex Ryan's tough talk today after the Jets almost gave up three pick 6's in the first half last night. That game would have been a nightmare for the Jets in a game that counted. Yes, yes, the Pats lost too....ho hum. They will all start counting soon enough.

Buehler445
08-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Eh. I think you guys are putting way too much stock into this. Coaches pull motivational ploys all the time. This one is just visible.

All the damn "teamwork" posters around probably have little effect on motivation, but they are still up.

I would anticipate that there will still be blank helmets after the first game.

As far as the players not buying in and Haley being stupid and blah blah blah. It's fucking practice. What Haley says and makes them do probably has much more effect than a decal.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buehler445
08-25-2009, 02:30 PM
Oh and on the subject of scouts, last night I heard Jaws say that there were 26 scouts at the jets/ravens game. and the Ravens have one of the most talented defenses in the NFL.

So not all teams are out looking at preseason games for cuts.
Posted via Mobile Device

Coogs
08-25-2009, 02:31 PM

Maybe it is the other end of the spectrum that Haley is looking at. If he passes out his 40 or so Arrowheads to the players that have made the team, maybe a few of the question marks realize they are not going to make the team. Let's say for an example, Haley gives out Arrowheads to 3 of the 4 QB's. What does the 4th QB do, realizing he is probably not going to make the team? Now without them, maybe the 4th QB thinks he still has a shot at the back-up spot, and makes the overall competition of everybody on the team better.

That is how I see it anyway. And I like the idea.

Chief Faithful
08-25-2009, 02:31 PM
If the highlighted part is true, and it is, Haley is talking out of his ass on this. Thinking otherwise is the act of a fool. While it's technically true that 'anything can happen', the reality is that Cassel, Albert and Jackson, just to name three prime examples, are locks for this team, and everyone on that squad knows this.

Sure everyone knows it, but what should their reaction be? They can buy into the system and lead as they are doing or they can act like Brandon Marshall. Nothing wrong with delivering the message that there is only one way that is Haley's way and you have to earn the Arrowhead. It is the same message he is delivering by having a conditioning / rehab field.

I love the fact they are making the Arrowhead a symbol to be revered.

Chief Faithful
08-25-2009, 02:33 PM
I think Haley should just shut his mouth at this point. He has played the tough guy card enough. What if the Chiefs really can only muster two wins after they manipulate the roster like crazy? It isn't like he and Pioli will have literally picked up some guys playing flag football. What if the bad losses pile up with that brutal NFC East run and continue? Will anybody give a **** about how tough Haley talked? Just like Belicheck is no doubt at least chuckling about Rex Ryan's tough talk today after the Jets almost gave up three pick 6's in the first half last night. That game would have been a nightmare for the Jets in a game that counted. Yes, yes, the Pats lost too....ho hum. They will all start counting soon enough.

With Parcells it was not an act and I don't think it is with Haley either.

Fish
08-25-2009, 02:48 PM
Maybe it is the other end of the spectrum that Haley is looking at. If he passes out his 40 or so Arrowheads to the players that have made the team, maybe a few of the question marks realize they are not going to make the team. Let's say for an example, Haley gives out Arrowheads to 3 of the 4 QB's. What does the 4th QB do, realizing he is probably not going to make the team? Now without them, maybe the 4th QB thinks he still has a shot at the back-up spot, and makes the overall competition of everybody on the team better.

That is how I see it anyway. And I like the idea.

Well I think that's silly and immature. If a professional athlete needs a sticker to realize that they have to give everything they have in order to make the team, then they likely aren't intelligent enough to be a contributing member anyway. If they're waiting for a sticker as a symbol that they have to work harder, then it's already too late. "Good job" stickers were motivational tools in 3rd grade. By the time you're in the pros, it's unnecessary.

Coogs
08-25-2009, 03:03 PM
Well I think that's silly and immature. If a professional athlete needs a sticker to realize that they have to give everything they have in order to make the team, then they likely aren't intelligent enough to be a contributing member anyway. If they're waiting for a sticker as a symbol that they have to work harder, then it's already too late. "Good job" stickers were motivational tools in 3rd grade. By the time you're in the pros, it's unnecessary.

These are not exactly 3rd grade stickers. There is the potential of millions of dollars to be earned by earning an Arrowhead. Maybe a player like Studebaker. Boarderline player. Makes the team, and his next contract strikes it rich.

Motivational tools work all the time in all businesses.

Nebraska (and I am not a huge Husker fan) used to use a "Blackshirt" thing that was a huge badge of honor to earn. (From what I understand it is being brought back, as shirts were handed out late last season) Same sort of thing.

Halfcan
08-25-2009, 03:04 PM

agreed

JD10367
08-25-2009, 03:18 PM
yup- any 22 guys off the street can win 2 games

#$^& YOU!!

---- Sincerely, the 2008 Detroit Lions

ROFL

salame
08-25-2009, 06:08 PM
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa114/Yahoooooooooo_photos/Thread-Gay-1950s.jpg

MoreLemonPledge
08-25-2009, 06:10 PM
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa114/Yahoooooooooo_photos/Thread-Gay-1950s.jpg

FAIL

EDIT: Oh, you fixed it. Then I fail.

DaneMcCloud
08-25-2009, 06:47 PM

Wrong.

There's going to be continual turnover on this roster until opening day.

Every position can be upgraded, whether it's starters, backups or depth.

Spicy McHaggis
08-25-2009, 06:53 PM

I like the idea. I just don't know how true it really is in this day of multi-year, multi-million dollar contracts.

However, I get the feeling if it ever was going to be true in this day and age, it would be now under Haley's watch. Guy doesn't seem to **** around.