PDA

View Full Version : Funny Stuff Over 30 Crowd...So True...‏

blazzin311
08-25-2009, 11:42 AM
THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious
diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what
with walking Twenty-five miles to school every morning.... Uphill...
barefoot... BOTH ways Yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way
in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on my kids about
how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that... I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but
look around and notice the youth of today.

You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a
damn Utopia!

And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good
you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted to
know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up
ourselves, in the card catalogue!!

There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a pen!

Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the
mailbox and it would take, like, a week to get there! Stamps were 10
cents!

Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a
matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to
kick our ass! Nowhere was safe!

There were no MP3' s or Napsters! If you wanted to steal music, you
had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ
would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! There were
no CD players! We had tape decks in our car. We'd play our favorite
tape and "eject" it when finished and the tape would come undone.
Cause - that's how we rolled, dig?

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone
and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either!
When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your
school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a
collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and
take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with
high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like
'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You
actually had to use your imagination!! And there were no multiple
levels or screens, it was just one screen... forever!
And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder
and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was
on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get
off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel! NO
REMOTES!!!

There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on
Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL
WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bastards!

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we
had to use the stove! Imagine that!

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too
easy. You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back
in 1980 or before!

Regards,
The Over 30 Crowd

Gonzo
08-25-2009, 11:47 AM
I never remember not having a microwave.
Posted via Mobile Device

tyton75
08-25-2009, 11:51 AM
i remember getting our first microwave.. it was almost as big as the freaking oven itself!

seclark
"Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a
kick our ass! Nowhere was safe!"

no shit.
sec

Demonpenz
rotory phones. I hate you people with 9's in your numbers

Deberg_1990
08-25-2009, 11:54 AM
I actually had a black and white TV with rabbit ears in my bedroom when i was a kid.

ziggysocki
08-25-2009, 11:55 AM
Kids today do have it worse in some ways... we never wore bicycle helmets... kids look like such little dumbshits with those goofy ass egg shaped helmets on! Hahhaha... kids must be protected from EVERYTHING at ALL COSTS these days.

Skip Towne
08-25-2009, 11:56 AM
We thought we were really space age when we got dial telephones. Before that when you picked up the phone an operator came on and said "number please". And I remember wheen stamps were 3 cents.

Simplex3
08-25-2009, 11:57 AM
The first cordless phones were really just party lines. I used to be able to listen into the conversations of some girl who lived behind us. She was a real tramp.

boogblaster
I grew up in the 50s and 60s .. everyone had permission to whip your ass even your sunday school teacher ...

beach tribe
This all seems very familiar. As if someone posted the exact same thing one time...

RJ
08-25-2009, 11:59 AM
I'd change the title to "under 35 or so crowd". This stuff seemed to start in the 80's.

beach tribe
It also seems as though you can always get away with less, and less as the years go by making childhoods less, and less fun. They had it made in the 60s. It's pretty much gotten stricter, and stricter every decade since.

Demonpenz
hell the blacks even had their own water fountains

Saulbadguy
08-25-2009, 12:00 PM
There was e-mail in the 80's.

Dumbass.

luv
Didn't mention cell phones.

Inspector
To many of us, 30 something is still a kid. I have 3 out of 5 over 30 now. The other 2 are very close behind.

Wow, now I'm depressed.

Inspector
08-25-2009, 12:02 PM
I actually had a black and white TV with rabbit ears in my bedroom when i was a kid.

I remember just having a TV was a big deal.

Lzen
08-25-2009, 12:03 PM
We thought we were really space age when we got dial telephones. Before that when you picked up the phone an operator came on and said "number please". And I remember wheen stamps were 3 cents.

Good Lord. You are old.

wildcat09
08-25-2009, 12:03 PM
Anyone remember the big ass bag phone?? or the Zack Morris cell phone with the antenna that was 5' tall??

Lzen
08-25-2009, 12:05 PM

Dumbass.

And I'll bet everyone was using it.

Consistent1
08-25-2009, 12:07 PM
Kids today do have it worse in some ways... we never wore bicycle helmets... kids look like such little dumbshits with those goofy ass egg shaped helmets on! Hahhaha... kids must be protected from EVERYTHING at ALL COSTS these days.

This is way true in some ways. I beat the hell out of the rest of my body jumping shit and the like, but my head was always aight. Helmet? Only when they made me wear one at the BMX track. Hand sanitizer and cleaning wipes to keep things sterile on the school supply list? Haaahahahhhhaaahhaaaa...NEVER....In all honesty, all the PC crap coming out of grade schools these days teaches kids to talk down to parents. "I was told we shouldn't use those Kroger bags for garbage, it is not recycling". WTF are the bags that idiots pay money for considered?....lmao. That I am not even joking about.

wildcat09
08-25-2009, 12:08 PM
And I'll bet everyone was using it.

I don't recall email till I was in high school. I was a freshman in 93-94.

Deberg_1990
08-25-2009, 12:10 PM

Dumbass.

I dont recall a mass use of email until around 1994.

Consistent1
08-25-2009, 12:12 PM
hell the blacks even had their own water fountains

You are walking the line on racism my friend. I bet you didn't even realize those had Colt 45 coming out of them. The joke was on us. Sorry, that was bad...it was kinda funny though.

wildcat09
08-25-2009, 12:12 PM

Thats what I was thinking. I remember the first time I made my own "mix" CD......

RJ
08-25-2009, 12:15 PM
It also seems as though you can always get away with less, and less as the years go by making childhoods less, and less fun. They had it made in the 60s. It's pretty much gotten stricter, and stricter every decade since.

I think it's become more strict and less strict at the same time. Growing up in the 60's, I think we had much more freedom than kids from the 80's on in terms of what we could do, where we could go and how much adult supervision we needed. But we had very little freedom of expression with parents and teachers and very little freedom in terms of our regimens and routines.

JD10367
08-25-2009, 12:16 PM
Over 30 means you were born around 1978. Which means you were a kid in 1984-1989. Half this stuff doesn't apply.

Over 40, now you're talking. I grew up in the 1974-1981 era, which is more appropriate for this discussion. We had rotary and the newfangled pushbutton phones, 8-tracks and the newfangled cassettes; we didn't have iTunes, we had Columbia House, LOL (and they still sold reel-to-reel). Microwaves were expensive and unpopular. You had NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, and a couple of UHF stations showing reruns, bad movies, and sports; my aunt had Time Warner Cable, a box wired to the TV with around 20 pushbuttons on it, and we thought they were rich. :D Doctors had beepers, and some of them had those fancy new car phones that were hard-wired into the car and weighed around 10 pounds. VCRs were just being invented, and were ridiculously expensive; a movie cost $100 and a blank tape cost almost $20. Home computing meant a Radio Shack Tandy TRS-80 or a Commodore 64 with big floppy disks; home video gaming meant Pong, or Tank, or one of the "high-tech" systems (Atari 2600, Colecovision, etc.,.). If you wanted to go to the movies, you actually had to pick a city because every theater didn't have every movie; a "multiplex" in the Boston area meant it might have 3 screens, maybe 5 if it was a REALLY big theater (and we still had drive-ins).

Your parents could tool down the road in a station wagon, you and the other kids in the "back-back" facing oncoming traffic, tailgate down and feet hanging over the edge, and no one gave a shit. We didn't have bike helmets or knee pads. Beating your child in public wasn't cause for calling Child Welfare, it was cause for complimenting you as a good parent, LOL.

It was a great time. Without all that technology, people spent their time getting drunk, high, or stoned on stuff. Mescaline was popular. Joints were actually a buck apiece, and fat and large, and a dimebag was ten bucks. Cigs were well under a dollar, and a 10-year-old could go to the store and buy them. "Meeeeee-moriiiiiieeeeesssss......" :D

MOhillbilly
08-25-2009, 12:20 PM
life gets easier for every new generation. seems like all we did as kids was cause trouble,fight,work and take beatins from adults.
If you didnt break a bone or need stiches noone gave a shit. You walked it off rub some dirt on it and dealt with it.
Time out? My old man had a board and if he had a 'bone to pick' it was lights out.

I deserved every beatin i ever took.:) even if i didnt.

MOhillbilly
08-25-2009, 12:23 PM
Over 30 means you were born around 1978. Which means you were a kid in 1984-1989. Half this stuff doesn't apply.

Over 40, now you're talking. I grew up in the 1974-1981 era, which is more appropriate for this discussion. We had rotary and the newfangled pushbutton phones, 8-tracks and the newfangled cassettes; we didn't have iTunes, we had Columbia House, LOL (and they still sold reel-to-reel). Microwaves were expensive and unpopular. You had NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, and a couple of UHF stations showing reruns, bad movies, and sports; my aunt had Time Warner Cable, a box wired to the TV with around 20 pushbuttons on it, and we thought they were rich. :D Doctors had beepers, and some of them had those fancy new car phones that were hard-wired into the car and weighed around 10 pounds. VCRs were just being invented, and were ridiculously expensive; a movie cost $100 and a blank tape cost almost $20. Home computing meant a Radio Shack Tandy TRS-80 or a Commodore 64 with big floppy disks; home video gaming meant Pong, or Tank, or one of the "high-tech" systems (Atari 2600, Colecovision, etc.,.). If you wanted to go to the movies, you actually had to pick a city because every theater didn't have every movie; a "multiplex" in the Boston area meant it might have 3 screens, maybe 5 if it was a REALLY big theater (and we still had drive-ins).

Your parents could tool down the road in a station wagon, you and the other kids in the "back-back" facing oncoming traffic, tailgate down and feet hanging over the edge, and no one gave a shit. We didn't have bike helmets or knee pads. Beating your child in public wasn't cause for calling Child Welfare, it was cause for complimenting you as a good parent, LOL.

It was a great time. Without all that technology, people spent their time getting drunk, high, or stoned on stuff. Mescaline was popular. Joints were actually a buck apiece, and fat and large, and a dimebag was ten bucks. Cigs were well under a dollar, and a 10-year-old could go to the store and buy them. "Meeeeee-moriiiiiieeeeesssss......" :D

ive done all this shit and was born in 74. time moved reallllllllllllllyyyyyy slow in the midwest.

Goldmember
08-25-2009, 12:23 PM
I got swats with a paddle in high school....can't do that shit now or you go to jail

wildcat09
08-25-2009, 12:25 PM
I got swats with a paddle in high school....can't do that shit now or you go to jail

I spent my first two years of high school in Texas and they gave swats......that was the mid 90's

MOhillbilly
08-25-2009, 12:26 PM

youd get the paddle in school but youd also get brained with a book choked out and singled out by teachers.

seclark
08-25-2009, 12:28 PM
youd get the paddle in school but youd also get brained with a book choked out and singled out by teachers.

...and get another beating when you got home. no questions asked.
sec

Goldmember
08-25-2009, 12:28 PM
I spent my first two years of high school in Texas and they gave swats......that was the mid 90's

serioiusly? were you in a small town where the sheriff was related to the principal?

sd4chiefs
08-25-2009, 12:29 PM
THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too
easy. You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back
in 1980 or before!

Regards,
The Over 30 Crowd

At least in the 80's you had cable TV and VCRS. In the 60's you only had 4 TV stations. I was the TV remote control. When my parents wanted to switch channels they had me do it. I was also the one who had to run to answer the only telephone in the house. It was a big deal when we got are first color TV. We did not have an Air Conditioner. The only thing we had to cool the house was some big fans. The 60's sucked.

The Over 50 Crowd

|Zach|
08-25-2009, 12:29 PM
I think if there is anything about the over 30 crowd its that they absolutely love sending e-mails like this to eachother.

Consistent1
08-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Maybe the real question here is how did blazzin311 get the page #'s to go backwards in the forum? Never did see that one before.

seclark
08-25-2009, 12:30 PM
wtf is up w/the title to this thread?

"Over 30 Crowd...So True...‏ (Multi-page thread 1 2 3)"

this never happened back in the '60s.
sec
*edit* consistent1 beat me to it

RJ
08-25-2009, 12:31 PM

Swats? swats???

Hell, I had a nun slap me across the face so hard it left a welt. And I was EIGHT YEARS OLD!!

No, my parents did not call the police or sue the school or intervene in any way on my behalf. I guess they just figured I must have deserved it.

RJ
08-25-2009, 12:32 PM
I think if there is anything about the over 30 crowd its that they absolutely love sending e-mails like this to eachother.

Wait a few years.

Demonpenz
08-25-2009, 12:33 PM
I know kids need to get a swat or a flat out beating sometimes, but there was a sick pleasure nuns got out of beating the kids. Probably because they can't get no dick

wildcat09
serioiusly? were you in a small town where the sheriff was related to the principal?

yep.....Friona, Texas population 2750......and now that I think about it.....the sheriff's brother was the principal.....

Fire Me Boy!

ROFL

I once fell asleep between my bed and the TV in my room going to turn it off.

Saulbadguy
08-25-2009, 12:37 PM

You don't recall mass use of email until 1994.

Anyone that was in the tech field was using it before then.

MOhillbilly
08-25-2009, 12:38 PM
At least in the 80's you had cable TV and VCRS. In the 60's you only had 4 TV stations. I was the TV remote control. When my parents wanted to switch channels they had me do it. I was also the one who had to run to answer the only telephone in the house. It was a big deal when we got are first color TV. We did not have an Air Conditioner. The only thing we had to cool the house was some big fans. The 60's sucked.

The Over 50 Crowd

we didnt get cable run till 89'. Never had a remote till i was outta HS and have NEVER lived in a house with AC.
FLEX.

Demonpenz
08-25-2009, 12:41 PM
the real old video game systems didn't have cartridges on them they had notches where you clicked them for your 4 games thanks sears

RJ
08-25-2009, 12:51 PM
the real old video game systems didn't have cartridges on them they had notches where you clicked them for your 4 games thanks sears

**shudder**

Demonpenz
08-25-2009, 12:53 PM
yeahhhhhh this was our video games

Deberg_1990
08-25-2009, 12:53 PM

Of course...

Note the use of the word MASS.

Demonpenz
08-25-2009, 12:55 PM
I remember people smashing their cars because they were distracted by C.B.'s not cell phones

Deberg_1990
08-25-2009, 12:57 PM
I remember when TV stations would play the national anthem around midnight and sign off for the night.

Demonpenz
08-25-2009, 12:58 PM
anyone remember when we used a space "shuttle" to go in space? Damn I am old

Skip Towne
08-25-2009, 01:04 PM
When schools aren't allowed to discipline the kids they turn out people like RoR.

Dartgod
08-25-2009, 01:06 PM
And I remember wheen stamps were 3 cents.
I never knew that the Pony Express required stamps.

tooge
08-25-2009, 01:15 PM
Michael Jackson was still black. 3 tv stations with primetime shows like the carol burnett show as our only choices. You could meet after school and beat the crap out of another kid for talking to a girl you liked, without being considered a terrorist. Boys didn't wear makeup.

Skip Towne
08-25-2009, 01:20 PM
Michael Jackson was still black. 3 tv stations with primetime shows like the carol burnett show as our only choices. You could meet after school and beat the crap out of another kid for talking to a girl you liked, without being considered a terrorist. Boys didn't wear makeup.

If you wore an earring 5 guys would beat the crap out of you.

joesomebody
08-25-2009, 01:20 PM
I was going to say, I'm 27 and some of this applies, but the rest doesn't and I'm not even 30 yet. I suppose if my parents were millionaires we might have had a cd player in the 80s, but I remember our first microwave, our first VCR (had a remote but you plugged it into the VCR with a cord), we had an atari, though I did get a nintendo in first grade. It's funny to a point, but not all that well timed. Stuff in there stretches from mid 70s to mid 80s which is a pretty big stretch.

"Bob" Dobbs
08-25-2009, 01:23 PM
yep.....Friona, Texas population 2750......and now that I think about it.....the sheriff's brother was the principal.....Wow. I'm through Friona quite a bit. Never imagined anyone here ever mentioning it.

Simplex3
08-25-2009, 01:24 PM

Even the remotely tech savy were doing messaging on dial up BBSs.

"Bob" Dobbs
08-25-2009, 01:25 PM
When schools aren't allowed to discipline the kids they turn out people like RoR.I may be wrong, but I remember reading recently that corporal punishment is still legal in Florida schools.

rockymtnchief
08-25-2009, 01:37 PM
After getting in a fight in the school cafeteria, my junior high vice-principal swatted us and then had us put on the boxing gloves and duke it out. I felt sorry for the other kid because he broke his right thumb on my head in the first fight and couldn't hit very hard during the boxing match. His parents weren't called to take him to the hospital until after we were all done.

Our first microwave weighed around a 100 lbs. We still use it in the garage.

MOhillbilly
08-25-2009, 01:41 PM
stabed a kid in the face w/ his own knife 87/88 and didnt get into any trouble.

seclark
08-25-2009, 01:42 PM
If you wore an earring 5 guys would beat the crap out of you.

hold on now...in '79 i pierced the ear on 3 other guys in my class. we were at the state fair, and i used an ice cube and a fish hook.
sec

JOhn
08-25-2009, 01:44 PM
Remember waiting to watch Hee Haw with my grandparents on Sunday evenings.

Oh also remember when Princess Diana got married, my Grandparents made me watch it.

Speaking of that, Dad made me watch when Nixon left office, said it was historic & I would remember it. He was right, and I'm glad he made me watch, though I barely remember it. :cuss:

JOhn
08-25-2009, 01:44 PM
I remember people smashing their cars because they were distracted by C.B.'s not cell phones

I still have a CB in my old 4x4. :doh!:

JOhn
08-25-2009, 01:46 PM
stabed a kid in the face w/ his own knife 87/88 and didnt get into any trouble.

I remember breaking a kids jaw in 7th grade for calling my mom a bitch. Didn't get in any trouble & no one sued anyone. :D

bogey
08-25-2009, 01:48 PM
Now that I'm +50, I'm to old to remember what technology was like in the old days. I do however remember that in VoAg class, if anyone was caught laying a wood plain(sp?) down on the blade rather than on its side, the person that caught him got to give him a paddling. I also remember the first girl that joined FFA, our first lesbian.

Stewie
08-25-2009, 02:03 PM
hold on now...in '79 i pierced the ear on 3 other guys in my class. we were at the state fair, and i used an ice cube and a fish hook.
sec

The treble hook with fishing line and a bobber still attached was the look back then.

Jenson71
08-25-2009, 02:05 PM

You had it good. I wasn't allowed to have a TV in my bedroom.

Demonpenz
08-25-2009, 02:05 PM
i remember you could drink and drive alot easier before Madd.

seclark
08-25-2009, 02:06 PM
The treble hook with fishing line and a bobber still attached was the look back then.

the first two went pretty smooth. the last guy, not so much. after a couple days, it looked like he had a plum sticking out of the side of his head.
sec

Demonpenz
08-25-2009, 02:13 PM
there was no streaming porn you watched it scrambled and once in awhile saw a neon boob

Lzen
08-25-2009, 02:16 PM

Oh, Saul. What were you, like 4 years old then? :D

wildcat09
08-25-2009, 02:32 PM
Wow. I'm through Friona quite a bit. Never imagined anyone here ever mentioning it.

Never thought anyone would even know where I was talking about if I did mention it.....

JOhn
08-25-2009, 02:37 PM
the first two went pretty smooth. the last guy, not so much. after a couple days, it looked like he had a plum sticking out of the side of his head.
sec

:spock:

Shit only porn I ever saw as a kid was a Playboy if I was lucky:cuss:

rockymtnchief
08-25-2009, 02:40 PM

You should've moved to my neighborhood. Once a month, the old albino down the street threw 20-30 dirty magazines in the dumpster every month.:clap:

wildcat09
08-25-2009, 02:53 PM
I thought I had died and gone to heaven when my parents got HBO.........no more scrambled boobies

Demonpenz
08-25-2009, 02:53 PM
You should've moved to my neighborhood. Once a month, the old albino down the street threw 20-30 dirty magazines in the dumpster every month.:clap:

had to get some primer to unstick the pages

CoMoChief
08-25-2009, 03:03 PM
I remember my preschool teacher "supposedly" had permission to spank us if we got out of line. I didn't know this, and actually at the time didn't think it was right for someone not my parents to hit me, so when it happend, I hit one of them back right in the nose and immediately got kicked out of this preschool.

Man, did my dad ever beat my ass for that. He actually though stuck up for me whenever I would get in trouble at school. It was my mom that usually would get pissed off because she would know most of my teachers from the local health club/gym/aerobics classes etc.

JD10367
08-25-2009, 03:14 PM

Oh, yeah! My family were big CB nuts. We had a Kris tube set base, and I had a Tram Diamond 60 mobile with 40 channels and sideband. We had a Shakespeare Big Stick on the roof, although I liked when the New England rednecks would mount one to their truck as a mobile antenna. ROFL Back in the day when you actually had to have an FCC license; I can't remember what the hell I had for breakfast yesterday, but I can remember our call sign was KYD-6931. Two in the morning, you'd think you and one other person were the only two on the channel, and you'd say, "Hey, let's have an eyeball at the IHOP" (or Denny's, or whatever 24-hour place you had), and you'd get there and there would be 10 cars with whip antennas. :D Convoys on weekends, going to places like the Anheuser-Busch Brewery in Merrimack NH... Weeknight meet-ups at the rollerskating rink, LOL... Good times, good times...

Frosty
08-25-2009, 03:15 PM

My best friend in junior high had parents that owned the town motel. He had to help clean rooms and was always finding porno mags that the guests had left. He had quite a collection and was willing to lend them out.

The scrambled porn on the local UHF channel came when I was in high school. By then, though, we had a VCR (with that remote on a leash) and I was old enough to rent movies. :)

MOhillbilly
08-25-2009, 03:21 PM
"Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a
kick our ass! Nowhere was safe!"

no shit.
sec

They dont care now aslong as you dont leave bruises.:)

wildcat09
08-25-2009, 03:30 PM
They dont care now aslong as you dont leave bruises.:)

at least not where they are easily visible

RJ
08-25-2009, 03:36 PM
there was no streaming porn you watched it scrambled and once in awhile saw a neon boob

When I was a kid the only way you got to see porn was if your weird neighbor who we called Al The Fire Chief invited you and your friends down in his basement to watch some "smokers" on an 8 mm projector. And forget about a selection....there was only one movie, a black and white with some girl getting tag teamed in a pool. Sometimes the neighbor would go running up the stairs and we could hear his belt buckle jingling, but if the reel got messed up while he was gone nobody else knew how to fix it, so we'd just leave out the side door.

Yeah, things were tougher back then.

"Bob" Dobbs
08-25-2009, 03:37 PM
Never thought anyone would even know where I was talking about if I did mention it.....I have to drive to Clovis often. lol

seclark
08-25-2009, 03:42 PM
When I was a kid the only way you got to see porn was if your weird neighbor who we called Al The Fire Chief invited you and your friends down in his basement to watch some "smokers" on an 8 mm projector. And forget about a selection....there was only one movie, a black and white with some girl getting tag teamed in a pool. Sometimes the neighbor would go running up the stairs and we could hear his belt buckle jingling, but if the reel got messed up while he was gone nobody else knew how to fix it, so we'd just leave out the side door.

Yeah, things were tougher back then.
the old 8mm...the motor would go out and you'd have to spin the reel w/your finger.
sec

ChiefButthurt
08-25-2009, 04:13 PM

Shit we had for the first 4 years of our marriage. Didn't need the damn thing to be color.

JuicesFlowing
08-25-2009, 04:50 PM
As a former teacher (I'm 32) let me just say that kids today have absolutely no respect for discipline. In many ways, the good ol' days were much better. Now kids are over-stimulated and have no sense of respect for teachers, parents, etc ... Oh well.

wildcat09
08-25-2009, 05:18 PM
I have to drive to Clovis often. lol

Unless you needed a cheap burrito at the Alsups there would be no reason to stop in Friona....

R&GHomer
08-25-2009, 05:46 PM
I saw this a few weeks ago. So true, I just look at my Kids and shake my head, but compared to my Fiance's kids there angels. Her kids take everything for granted and I mean everything. One of her boys complained about being bored and not having any friends and I'm like hello, why don't you pick your lazy ass up of the couch and go out side and meet someone. Looked at me like I was crazy.

"Bob" Dobbs
08-25-2009, 06:39 PM
Unless you needed a cheap burrito at the Alsups there would be no reason to stop in Friona....I never said I STOPPED. lol

If you STOP in Friona, you'll never get the smell of Hereford out of your head.

JASONSAUTO
08-25-2009, 07:15 PM
Over 40 crowd - 8 track tape player, black and white T.V.

hell i'm not 40 and my first vehicle had an 8 track player

Fat Elvis
08-25-2009, 07:45 PM
I thought I had died and gone to heaven when my parents got HBO.........no more scrambled boobies

This.

And back then HBO had real boobies. They even had some foriegn films that were put on HBO in the evenings for the boobies.

Saulbadguy
08-25-2009, 08:36 PM
Oh, Saul. What were you, like 4 years old then? :D

I was on the 'net in 94. I even have proof. ;)

Raised On Riots
08-25-2009, 08:42 PM
If you didn't get your ass beat with an orange hot-wheel track at least once; you're a young punk.

KCUnited
08-25-2009, 08:47 PM
This.

And back then HBO had real boobies. They even had some foriegn films that were put on HBO in the evenings for the boobies.
1st and 10.

"Bob" Dobbs
08-25-2009, 09:06 PM
If you didn't get your ass beat with an orange hot-wheel track at least once; you're a young punk.That shit HURT!

LaChapelle
08-25-2009, 09:10 PM
We made fun of fat kids. They probably make fun of kids who aren't fat now. Dude's only got 1 chin, what a loser.

Raised On Riots
08-25-2009, 09:11 PM
That shit HURT!

ROFL Yeah it did! When you saw your friends mom or dad reaching for the orange; it was time to SPLIT!

StcChief
08-25-2009, 09:11 PM
The first cordless phones were really just party lines. I used to be able to listen into the conversations of some girl who lived behind us. She was a real tramp.I remember that. It was funny as hell.

"Bob" Dobbs
08-25-2009, 09:14 PM
ROFL Yeah it did! When you saw your friends mom or dad reaching for the orange; it was time to SPLIT!I used to terrorize my little brothers with that shit. Good times.

Donger
08-25-2009, 09:17 PM
This has probably been mentioned, but has anyone else noticed that the page listing for this thread on the Lounge page has the number of pages of the thread going in reverse?

Raised On Riots
08-25-2009, 09:17 PM
I used to terrorize my little brothers with that shit. Good times.

Track Fight 101:

Double that shit up for more impact and swinging power!

Donger
08-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Here:

JD10367
08-25-2009, 09:21 PM
I was on dial-up AOL back in the early- to mid-90s, back when that WAS the Internet for most people. They used to charge by the hour. I was a mod at one of their posting-board sites, because it allowed me to earn free hourly usage and the time I was logged in as a mod was free. We'd hold trivia-style games in the chat rooms. Man, that was sad, LOL.

We didn't have eHarmony; we had Bell telephone. :) Did you guys have the "party lines" in your area that were basically incomplete-call dead-end numbers with a phone company recording? You'd dial something like 711 and get the three-tone "incomplete call" beep and the scratchy loop recording, "We're sorry, your call could not be completed as dialed, please try your call again," and then in the background you'd hear 25 teenagers yelling at each other. "Hello? HELLO!?!? What's your name?!? Hey, where are you? Do you wanna meet at the Dairy Queen?!? Do you have a girlfriend you can bring? Me and my friend will meet you there!" ROFL Kids would pass a list of "party line" numbers around... "Hey, here's a new one, it's supposed to have cute girls from the north side of town on it!" Lame.

Sully
08-25-2009, 09:24 PM
1st and 10.

There is one of those credit card commercials right now that has one of the guys from that show. It's the same guy who was in revenge of the nerds. He's playing a caveman. Good to see that guy getting work.

Sully
08-25-2009, 09:25 PM
I remember calling 844-4444 for the UMB hotline, to get time, temperature, and the joke of the day.

KCUnited
08-25-2009, 09:29 PM
There is one of those credit card commercials right now that has one of the guys from that show. It's the same guy who was in revenge of the nerds. He's playing a caveman. Good to see that guy getting work.
Yeah I saw him too and thought the same. Nice to see him around, made me feel young again, not really.

KCBOSS1
08-25-2009, 09:51 PM
OK, but check it out, we had it really good too. I live rural. From the time that i was like 8, my cousin and I would pack a lunch head out at 9am, go to the bluffs and play G.I. Joes, or cowboys and indians and be gone all day or go fishing. They never thought anything about it. We used to ride up on the side of the truck runnin 55, or stand up in the bed of the truck. Man I have 4 kids and the ones that are under 12, I won't let out of my site in our neighborhood for more than an hour without knowing exactly where they are.

I don't know about the whole they've got it easy stuff. With all of the internet stuff that's available, there's all the internet "stuff" that's available, you know? Besides, we had intellivision...come on. you could actually see their arms sort of.

We had imaginations. That's what I think is missing. We never knew to miss any of this stuff. Everything was simpler.

Raised On Riots
08-25-2009, 09:55 PM
I don't know about the whole they've got it easy stuff. With all of the internet stuff that's available, there's all the internet "stuff" that's available, you know? Besides, we had intellivision...come on. you could actually see their arms sort of.

We had imaginations. That's what I think is missing. We never knew to miss any of this stuff. Everything was simpler.

Plimpton Football FTW!

Skip Towne
08-25-2009, 09:57 PM
sec

I'm talking about the 60's. I graduated in '63.

KCBOSS1
08-25-2009, 09:58 PM
that's right

JD10367
08-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Plimpton Football FTW!

"Ten Yard Fight". Sweet!

I remember getting "Tom Landry Strategy Football" for my computer. I thought that was the coolest thing ever.

http://www.jumpjet.info/games/Pure_DOS/Tom_Landry_Strategy_Football/snap.jpg