PDA

View Full Version : Life Anyone take classes at a Community College?

El Jefe
08-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Well I am taking some classes at a local Community College, and am unable to take classes full time so I have to pay for the classes while I take them. I am only taking 9 credit hours this quarter, and it's going to cost me $940.00 plus my books, I don't think it's crazy expensive, but it's going to take me a long time to get any kind of degree at that cost. Anyone working on obtaining a degree that is going to take some time to get? Just curious to see if anyone on here has had to go the route I am going. It could be a long time before I am able to get out of the work I am in, and gets depressing sometimes.

Dicky McElephant
08-25-2009, 01:25 PM
College is the biggest ripoff in this country.

Skip Towne
08-25-2009, 01:25 PM
I did and yes it took a hell of a long time.

angelo
08-25-2009, 01:28 PM
I took two course over the summer and have two this fall. Then I am done with my degree.

Between 60 -80 hours at work and classes it does not leave much free time.

I will be going back in the spring to finish another degree.

ANG

DaneMcCloud
08-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Dude, you'll be fine.

Just keep working and pluggin' away. The most important factor is that you're doing it.

Be proud of yourself and work hard. It will most definitely pay off.

joesomebody
08-25-2009, 01:44 PM
Yup, I'm 27 and still at it. I took classes all 4 years I was in the Air Force, usually 2 a semester, and even earned an associates degree while serving. Then I get into the real world and found out that since my degree was from an out of state school, I basically had to start over at Mizzou and almost NOTHING transferred, even though I had a friggin associates already. I am in my last year now, and it has been a very long tough pill to swallow. Just keep plugging away though.

Demonpenz
08-25-2009, 01:48 PM
kiss ass and network along the way

Skip Towne
08-25-2009, 01:48 PM
Yup, I'm 27 and still at it. I took classes all 4 years I was in the Air Force, usually 2 a semester, and even earned an associates degree while serving. Then I get into the real world and found out that since my degree was from an out of state school, I basically had to start over at Mizzou and almost NOTHING transferred, even though I had a friggin associates already. I am in my last year now, and it has been a very long tough pill to swallow. Just keep plugging away though.

Every semester I would send a letter to the Kansas Board of Regents asking if these credits would transfer. I kept all of their replies and everything transferred.

joesomebody
08-25-2009, 01:52 PM
Every semester I would send a letter to the Kansas Board of Regents asking if these credits would transfer. I kept all of their replies and everything transferred.Nice idea. I didn't think about Missouri and the board of regents much when I was stationed in Japan and then taking classes in Texas, Alabama, and Utah.

I wish I had thought about it. Though an AP reporter is currently working on a story on how shitty Mizzou's transfer policy is, especially regarding Veterans that have no choice but to go to a lot of schools.

joesomebody
08-25-2009, 01:53 PM
Community colleges are a great option now in Missouri with the A+ program, Missouri Universities pretty much HAVE to honor the credits. Especially if you stick with it and get an associate's from an accredited Missouri CC.

Jenson71
08-25-2009, 01:54 PM

Do you get the 9/11 GI Bill, at least?

I've recently taken classes at a community college. It can be a good route to take. If you plan on getting a degree at a four year university though, I'd stay away from taking classes in your major or specialty at the CC. CC can tend to be easier than a university. You don't want to be short-changed on the stuff you want to be really good at.

Community colleges can also offer a lot of great stuff for older, non-traditional students, and full-time workers. Some of the good ones have great programs for continuing education and employment help. I sat next to a guy in a CC math class and he was worried as hell about the class, even thought he might drop it because, as he told the class "I've been working in a factory for ten years . . ." I can't remember what we were learning about, but it was something simple. Anyway, the teacher could afford to work more with him and slow down and not have to live up to demanding expectations (which you would expect and want in a more traditional setting).

So, CC get my respect. My teachers were very good in the classes. Although on the other hand, I've had adjuncts at UNI from Hawkeye that were downright horrible. I had to write letters to the Department Head.

Brock
08-25-2009, 01:54 PM
The 13th grade? It's awesome!

Buehler445
08-25-2009, 01:56 PM
I took a few classes at a Community College before I went off to ESU.

Things have changed since I got financial aide, but there used to be financial aide available for part time status students. It would be worth calling the financial aide office at your community college and looking into it.

As far as college courses go, a lot of them just go through a text book and then test on it. With a little effort, you can skate through and get the piece of paper.

Really though, college is what you make it. Lots of people skate by, but if you really want to make yourself better (not to mention get value for your money!) Put some serious effort into it and learn the concepts, how they fit into the big picture and how you can apply them.

What are you majoring in?
Posted via Mobile Device

blaise
08-25-2009, 01:57 PM
Most importantly- try and get laid by college girls.

Dunit35
08-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Dude, you'll be fine.

Just keep working and pluggin' away. The most important factor is that you're doing it.

Be proud of yourself and work hard. It will most definitely pay off.

Just do what I do...work fast food/ go to school. Each time I go to work it makes me try that much harder in the classroom.

KC Dan
08-25-2009, 02:23 PM
Well I am taking some classes at a local Community College, and am unable to take classes full time so I have to pay for the classes while I take them. I am only taking 9 credit hours this quarter, and it's going to cost me $940.00 plus my books, I don't think it's crazy expensive, but it's going to take me a long time to get any kind of degree at that cost. Anyone working on obtaining a degree that is going to take some time to get? Just curious to see if anyone on here has had to go the route I am going. It could be a long time before I am able to get out of the work I am in, and gets depressing sometimes.I did many years ago. I got my Bachelor's (in 8 years) by going to community college and four different 4-yr schools (while in service) due to moving and finally a MBA (post-military, 1.5 years). All in all it took me, a long time, nearly 10 years... My son is doing your method right now. He is taking 8 hours this fall at a Community college while working (he pays his books) and his tuition cost me $860.40 when I paid it yesterday.

My advise - take your time, do your best and don't ever forget your long term goal of finishing so you can better your life. The unemployment rate is WAY lower and rehiring numbers are higher for those with college degrees than high school grad-only. Good luck!

Stewie
08-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Just do what I do...work fast food/ go to school. Each time I go to work it makes me try that much harder in the classroom.

Yep! I worked in production at a dairy during the summers and it definitely motivated me to get my degree. Nothing like working 55-60 hours/week to realize there was more to life than the tedium and drudgery of working a job like that.

Saulbadguy
08-25-2009, 02:26 PM
I recently graduated from Allen County Community College in Iola, KS. I did ALL of my classes online, and received an Associate of Applied Sciences. I'm currently working on getting my Associate of Science from there as well, and will eventually transfer to Washburn. I plan on doing all of my work there online as well, it is a much more efficient use of my time.

Best thing about Allen is that they rent your text books and it is built in to the cost of tuition, so you don't have to buy the damn things.

Saulbadguy
08-25-2009, 02:28 PM
The 13th grade? It's awesome!

That's pretty much what it is, but I don't see too much of a difference between the 100 and 200 level classes at a community college vs a 4 year institution....other than the price.

Jenson71
08-25-2009, 02:35 PM

No kidding, I noticed school was always much easier and even more enjoyable after spending the previous month walking down wet rows of corn and picking off the tassels at 5 in the morning.

Stewie
08-25-2009, 02:40 PM
That's pretty much what it is, but I don't see too much of a difference between the 100 and 200 level classes at a community college vs a 4 year institution....other than the price.

Heh! Yeah. There were 250 other students in my Psych 101 class. What a waste of time that class was, but filled a requirement.

Short Leash Hootie
08-25-2009, 02:53 PM
dude if you are over 24 you can get a TON of financial aid towards college...they'll practically pay for it...

Saulbadguy
08-25-2009, 02:56 PM
dude if you are over 24 you can get a TON of financial aid towards college...they'll practically pay for it...

Link?

Saulbadguy
08-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Heh! Yeah. There were 250 other students in my Psych 101 class. What a waste of time that class was, but filled a requirement.

Yep - small CC's usually have much smaller class sizes, which offer more attention to students.

Dayze
08-25-2009, 02:58 PM
I wish I would've gone to school; I went to the Navy instead; and didn't take any classes; plus, there's no way in hell i'd want to take classes after pulling a 15 hour day on the ship etc.

now that I'm out - I've pretty much established myself in a field I'm not crazy about; but I'm not about to get myslef into 30K+ of debt to have a degree. Plus...I'd have no idea what I'd want to pursue academically; which would make it that much harder to go - since I don't really care lol.And...with a 2 hour total commute each day - threre's no MF way I'd want to go to school.

Good luck man; keep plugging away. That's all you can do.

Silock
08-25-2009, 03:02 PM
I'm 28 and went back to college. I'm going to graduate from KU in December, and still took my 100 and 200 level classes at JCCC. So much cheaper, but I still qualified for enough scholarships that I don't have to pay for school, so that's nice.

Keep plugging away, man. Put your head down and plow through it. It's worth it.

CrazyPhuD
08-25-2009, 03:05 PM
Link?

What he failed to mention is that you have to be a level 50 halo to get most of the aid.

Saulbadguy
08-25-2009, 03:05 PM
I'm 28 and went back to college. I'm going to graduate from KU in December, and still took my 100 and 200 level classes at JCCC. So much cheaper, but I still qualified for enough scholarships that I don't have to pay for school, so that's nice.

Keep plugging away, man. Put your head down and plow through it. It's worth it.

What kind of scholarships do you qualify for, and how do you get them?

The company I work for eliminated their tuition assistance program so i'm going to be in a world of hurt in a year when I have to start paying Washburn tuition.

wildcat09
08-25-2009, 03:10 PM
I played football at a juco in Western KS before tranferring to 4 year school to keep playing ball and I didn't have any issues with credits tranferring. My acedemic advisors kept me up to speed on what to take. Its good to get your basics out of the way in juco because they are much easier at that level.

Silock
08-25-2009, 03:11 PM
Some of them are academic, as I'm a 4.0 student. But, I got a ton by just applying for everything the financial aid office had available. One of the largest ones I got was because there was a scholarship available if you took X number of hours at JCCC and then went to the KU Edwards Campus. Apparently, the Regniers, who built the new KU building there, also did a lot of work with JCCC.

I would talk to the financial aid office and just apply for EVERYTHING. You may have to write a few essays, but it's worth it when your bills for school = $0.

Silock
08-25-2009, 03:12 PM
I played football at a juco in Western KS before tranferring to 4 year school to keep playing ball and I didn't have any issues with credits tranferring. My acedemic advisors kept me up to speed on what to take. Its good to get your basics out of the way in juco because they are much easier at that level.

I wouldn't say they're easier at that level. They're just cheaper. Some of my classes at JCCC were much more strict about attendance and grading than my KU classes. Part of the reason for that is because JCCC is one of the highest rated academic JC's in the nation and they want to keep it that way. So, they force their students to attend classes.

wildcat09
08-25-2009, 03:13 PM
I wouldn't say they're easier at that level. They're just cheaper. Some of my classes at JCCC were much more strict about attendance and grading than my KU classes. Part of the reason for that is because JCCC is one of the highest rated academic JC's in the nation and they want to keep it that way. So, they force their students to attend classes.

Garden City Community College was a step below high school. It may have had something to do with my football coaches teaching most of my classes but it was cake. When I transferred I had to learn how to study again.

Silock
08-25-2009, 03:16 PM
Well, that'll do it. JCCC's professors are no joke. I can't speak for other community colleges, though. I much prefer my KU professors to the JCCC professors simply because they're much more willing to work with your schedule.

wildcat09
08-25-2009, 03:22 PM
Well, that'll do it. JCCC's professors are no joke. I can't speak for other community colleges, though. I much prefer my KU professors to the JCCC professors simply because they're much more willing to work with your schedule.

If I showed up for class I was pretty much guaranteed a B. When I got to Baker U a lot of my professors wrote our textbooks. It was a HUGE difference. I have since gone on to get my BS in Biology, another BS in Medical Technology and my MBA. I would say that juco made it easier in the long run. Just keep at it.....if you stop you may not start again.

LiL stumppy
08-25-2009, 04:32 PM
I start class in the Spring (took semester off) at 12 credit hours. 1,400 per semester for tuition I believe.

wildcat09
08-25-2009, 05:20 PM
I start class in the Spring (took semester off) at 12 credit hours. 1,400 per semester for tuition I believe.

My senior year at Baker U was 25K.....thank God for football.

angelo
08-25-2009, 05:46 PM
I wish I would've gone to school; I went to the Navy instead; and didn't take any classes; plus, there's no way in hell i'd want to take classes after pulling a 15 hour day on the ship etc.

now that I'm out - I've pretty much established myself in a field I'm not crazy about; but I'm not about to get myslef into 30K+ of debt to have a degree. Plus...I'd have no idea what I'd want to pursue academically; which would make it that much harder to go - since I don't really care lol.And...with a 2 hour total commute each day - threre's no MF way I'd want to go to school.

Good luck man; keep plugging away. That's all you can do.

I am 40 years old and decided to go back this year. I have a good job but in this economy I wanted options.

The first day of class a kid walked in and asked if I was the professor. When I replied that I was a student he freaked and said "Dude how old are you."

The hardest thing is not feeling like a perv with all the young ladies running around.

Ang

BWillie
08-25-2009, 05:47 PM
College is the biggest ripoff in this country.

Yep. Unless you are getting a specialty degree - dr, attorney, tech school - it's way overrated. It can still help you get a better job, but I literally learned NOTHING for my Bachelor Degree in Business Administration. It just means you applied your self, and got really drunk and banged gutter sluts for 4 years and financed it through the government. I learned how to be a grown up in college, but I could of just lived on campus w/out going to class and learned the same thing.

El Jefe
08-26-2009, 09:03 AM
I took a few classes at a Community College before I went off to ESU.

Things have changed since I got financial aide, but there used to be financial aide available for part time status students. It would be worth calling the financial aide office at your community college and looking into it.

As far as college courses go, a lot of them just go through a text book and then test on it. With a little effort, you can skate through and get the piece of paper.

Really though, college is what you make it. Lots of people skate by, but if you really want to make yourself better (not to mention get value for your money!) Put some serious effort into it and learn the concepts, how they fit into the big picture and how you can apply them.

What are you majoring in?
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm majoring in Business Management. I work as a Service Manager and really like it, so I figured I would continue in that education path. Who knows how long it will take me to get my General ed classes done, I may change my major, but until then it's Business Management. You have your Master's Degree don't you?

Fat Elvis
08-26-2009, 09:06 AM
I am 40 years old and decided to go back this year. I have a good job but in this economy I wanted options.

The first day of class a kid walked in and asked if I was the professor. When I replied that I was a student he freaked and said "Dude how old are you."

The hardest thing is not feeling like a perv with all the young ladies running around.

Ang

Wear a trench coat around campus; chicks dig it.

Pablo
08-26-2009, 10:24 AM
Step 1. Complete courses at Juco.

Step 2. Go to State School

Step 3. Prepare to learn very little, but have a shitload of good times.

Step 4. Get a Master's as a Bachelor's degree doesn't really teach you shit; it just shows you had the work ethic to get through it all.

Crashride
08-26-2009, 10:27 AM
Im currently taking an EMT course here in tampa at a CC. They are great just keep pushing foward!

raybec 4
08-26-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm majoring in Business Management. I work as a Service Manager and really like it, so I figured I would continue in that education path. Who knows how long it will take me to get my General ed classes done, I may change my major, but until then it's Business Management. You have your Master's Degree don't you?

I am a production manager, I am very lucky that my job reimburses me for any classes related to my career that I get an a or b in. I went back for the summer term this year and will be going at 9-12 hours per term until I finish ( another 2 years). Good luck to you!