PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink How do they do it?

cdcox
08-25-2009, 04:30 PM
My favorite Chinese restaurant can go from order to handing me a *hot* meal ready to go out the door in 3 min flat. I hear the wok sizzle (for maybe a minute and a half), so they are not scooping me a plate off some hidden buffet line. They have like 40 entrees with lots of variety. For example, I have tried at least 4 or 5 of their spicy chicken dishes each with its own unique combo of veggies and unique sauce. The chicken is even cut in different shapes for some of the meals.

Tonight's entree has:

chicken - cooked and hot all the way through - not rubbery
green pepper, - still crunchy
bamboo shoots - still crunchy (maybe too many, kind of like filler)
mushooms - cooked
carrots
peas
a sauce with visible bits of garlic and red pepper flake.

I just don't understand how they can turn such a variety of fresh tasting dishes around so fast.

Buck
08-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Are they very busy? If they have a lot of people ordering they might just have a lot of food ready and waiting to cook...

pr_capone
08-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Instead of asking here you could ask there?

They would know the answer for sure!

:p

Jenson71
08-25-2009, 04:38 PM
It is said the quick wok is one of the mysteries that first attracted the Mongols and the Manchu to overtake China.

Pestilence
08-25-2009, 04:39 PM
Apparently the dog is already cut up and ready to be cooked.

angelo
08-25-2009, 04:39 PM
My favorite Chinese restaurant can go from order to handing me a *hot* meal ready to go out the door in 3 min flat. I hear the wok sizzle (for maybe a minute and a half), so they are not scooping me a plate off some hidden buffet line. They have like 40 entrees with lots of variety. For example, I have tried at least 4 or 5 of their spicy chicken dishes each with its own unique combo of veggies and unique sauce. The chicken is even cut in different shapes for some of the meals.

Tonight's entree has:

mushooms - cooked
carrots
peas

I just don't understand how they can turn such a variety of fresh tasting dishes around so fast.

The Chicken is precooked and the sauce is premade.

If the wok is the right temp it will take about 2 minutes for everything else.

Ang

Buck
08-25-2009, 04:40 PM
Maybe they have a time machine and you are eating chicken from the future.

Or maybe you are moving at the speed of light (or vice versa?) so it just seems quicker.

pr_capone
08-25-2009, 04:41 PM
Maybe they have a time machine and you are eating chicken from the future.

Or maybe you are moving at the speed of light (or vice versa?) so it just seems quicker.

There is a flaw with your theory... all time travel theory really.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/2778/timemachinef.jpg (http://img41.imageshack.us/i/timemachinef.jpg/)

ZootedGranny
08-25-2009, 04:47 PM
Ancient Chinese secret.

Halfcan
08-25-2009, 04:49 PM
Ancient Chinese secret.

haha I used to love those commercials :clap:

cdcox
08-25-2009, 04:50 PM
Are they very busy? If they have a lot of people ordering they might just have a lot of food ready and waiting to cook...

Medium busy.

So let's say they keep the wok at perfect cooking temp all the time.

Veggies are obviously pre-cut, but due to number of the dishes and the unique combo of veggies I think I can narrow it down to two possibilities:

1) they must add them individually

or

2) the entire dish is pre-made in a factory and arrives in some kind of pouch such that only heating is required. However, sometimes the sauce is better than others, so that leads me away from the pre-made pouch idea.

So they have the veggies pre-cut but even if the meat is pre-cut how do they cook it in like 90 seconds? My wok at home isn't nearly as hot, but 90 seconds is fast. Plus, I usually cook the meat before adding my veggies. Maybe the meat is pre-cooked? But they'd need Chinese shaped chicken, curry shaped chicken, shrimp, pork, beef and maybe different shapes of pork and beef (not as familiar with the pork and beef dinners).

Sauces could easily be there in squeeze bottles, but I'm thinking the garlic and hot pepper are added by the chef, to account for the variability from one time to another.

cdcox
08-25-2009, 04:51 PM

That would spoil the mystique.

cdcox
08-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Apparently the dog is already cut up and ready to be cooked.

A colleague was showing me a picture from his summer trip to China yesterday. It was a picture of a restaurant with a cooked dog hanging in the window, and another live dog tied up outside the restaurant.

mlyonsd
08-25-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm guessing most of the stuff is pre-cooked and then combined into the same Wok for a minute or so to re-heat quickly.

Sauce is likely pre-made and added at the same time into the Wok.

cdcox
08-25-2009, 04:57 PM

Ang

Yeah, I think your explanation best fits the facts. The thing that threw me was cooking different shapes of chicken and maybe other meats as well. If I were running a joint like that, all the chicken would be the same shape.

salame
08-25-2009, 04:58 PM
I wish they could make dumplings that fast

cdcox
08-25-2009, 04:59 PM
I wish they could make dumplings that fast

They have decent lo mein.

mikeyis4dcats.
08-25-2009, 04:59 PM
woks in restaurants are insanely hot....much hotter than home stoves can get.

They have tubs of ingredients much like Subway and just add scoops of what is needed for the dish. Then they toss in the sauce. It's all very assembly-line like.

mlyonsd
08-25-2009, 05:02 PM
I guess it's no different than Hu-Hot if you've ever been to one of them.

MoreLemonPledge
08-25-2009, 05:03 PM
I found this picture and it just makes me said. I wish they wouldn't do this to dogs.

WARNING: MAY BE OFFENSIVE TO SOME

http://www.funnypetstorys.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/dog-cooking.bmp

KC Dan
08-25-2009, 05:05 PM

AngI can't get mine that hot at home but it takes me about 4-5 min total w/chicken being pre-cooked

salame
08-25-2009, 05:07 PM
lol morelemon

Jenson71
08-25-2009, 05:31 PM
I never had dumplings until I went to NY this spring. My God they are glorious, either steamed or fried.

RJ
08-25-2009, 10:00 PM
I'm pretty sure if I had meat sliced that thin, a quality wok and commercial BTU's I could do that. They only use a few sauces and add spice per the dish. The rice is pre-made, vegetables prepped. I imagine the broccoli and maybe a few other veggies are blanched earlier before hitting the stir fry.

Plus, they're cooked by Asian dudes. Have you ever seen them play ping pong?

RJ
08-25-2009, 10:02 PM

Ang

I don't thin k the chicken is pre-cooked, angelo. As thin as it's sliced there would be no need.

Claynus
08-25-2009, 10:03 PM
Personally I think they have all that shit in a big pot.

Simply Red
08-25-2009, 10:56 PM

Tonight's entree has:

mushooms - cooked
carrots
peas

dense, hot oil, big cooking pans(woks) high heat. Lots of veggie/meat prepping,

MagicHef
08-25-2009, 11:40 PM
Pre-recorded sizzles.

EDIT- Which would make a great band name, by the way.

greg63
08-25-2009, 11:52 PM
It's an ancient Chinese secret...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjNRXfRXnoc

I have no idea how to post youtube vids on the planet; I can do it other places, but not here. Sigh....:(

LaChapelle
08-26-2009, 05:45 AM
Commy

SenselessChiefsFan
08-26-2009, 07:21 AM

No that you could understand what they said..... but I'm sure they know.

SenselessChiefsFan
08-26-2009, 07:22 AM

Tonight's entree has:

mushooms - cooked
carrots
peas

Dog cooks up real quick...

Bwana
08-26-2009, 07:58 AM
Sorry Cox, that's NOT chicken!

angelo
08-26-2009, 08:16 AM
I don't thin k the chicken is pre-cooked, angelo. As thin as it's sliced there would be no need.

RJ

It depends on whether or not it is deep fried.

If it is General Tso's chicken it is usually made from boneless skinless thigh meat
(hence why it is not uniform in shape) and then deep fried in advance and kept warm. This only happens in some restaurants.

The non deep fried items can be raw or pre-steamed for faster cooking.

I used to date a girl whose father owned a Chinese joint. We broke up because I was always horny 30 minutes after having sex with her.

Ang

ChiefJustice
08-26-2009, 08:25 AM
RJ

If it is General Tso's chicken it is usually made from boneless skinless thigh meat
(hence why it is not uniform in shape) and then deep fried in advance and kept warm. This only happens in some restaurants.

I used to date a girl whose father owned a Chinese joint. We broke up because I was always horny 30 minutes after having sex with her.

Ang

http://www.karljones.com/images/krupa-gene.jpg

Sofa King
08-26-2009, 08:29 AM
There is a flaw with your theory... all time travel theory really.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/2778/timemachinef.jpg (http://img41.imageshack.us/i/timemachinef.jpg/)

on top of that, it should be obvious that time travel will never be possible, the biggest evidence of this is the lack of people from the future.......

that or we live in a very boring time period, and for some reason people don't want to travel back in time to post on chiefsplanet....

Crashride
08-26-2009, 09:34 AM
RJ

Ang

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Out of nowhere.

patteeu
08-26-2009, 10:47 AM
on top of that, it should be obvious that time travel will never be possible, the biggest evidence of this is the lack of people from the future.......

that or we live in a very boring time period, and for some reason people don't want to travel back in time to post on chiefsplanet....

Haven't you ever listened to Art Bell/George Noory's Coast to Coast radio program? They have people from the future calling in all the time.

Rain Man
08-26-2009, 11:03 AM
I can't believe nobody has stated the obvious answer.

For every cdcox in America, there are 3.5 cdcoxes in China. Therefore, Chinese restaurants are designed to serve food at 3.5 times the rate of American restaurants. If it takes about 10 minutes to get your lunch at Chili's, then simple math means that you'll get it in 3 minutes at a Chinese restaurant.

cdcox
08-26-2009, 11:50 PM
Well I went back there again today for curry chicken. They were really on top of their game today.

But I have some new information. In my seat I had a partial view into the kitchen. I timed from the first sizzle to when they pulled my food off. 75 seconds! Not only that, but I can now confirm that the sauce is added to the wok with a ladle. I would have bet on plastic squeeze bottles, but he actually used a ladle.

Not only that, but after the 75 seconds of sizzle for my food, there was a 20 second sizzling clean up procedure. He ladled some kind of cleaning solution into the wok (I'm guessing it was just water) scraped around a bit then wiped it out with a cloth. Presto, ready for the next order.

Param
08-27-2009, 12:00 AM
RJ

Ang

This man speaks the truth and

ROFLROFLROFLROFL

Param
08-27-2009, 12:03 AM
Well I went back there again today for curry chicken. They were really on top of their game today.

But I have some new information. In my seat I had a partial view into the kitchen. I timed from the first sizzle to when they pulled my food off. 75 seconds! Not only that, but I can now confirm that the sauce is added to the wok with a ladle. I would have bet on plastic squeeze bottles, but he actually used a ladle.

Not only that, but after the 75 seconds of sizzle for my food, there was a 20 second sizzling clean up procedure. He ladled some kind of cleaning solution into the wok (I'm guessing it was just water) scraped around a bit then wiped it out with a cloth. Presto, ready for the next order.

I've been to a restaurant multiple times that does this right in front of you. They're like a machine.