PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Barry Richardson against the Vikings.

milkman
08-26-2009, 10:40 AM
First play
Doubles down with Mike Goff on Kevin Williams.
Fred Evans runs around Sean Ryan on the edge forcing Cassel to scramble.

Second play
Fails to hold his block on Ray Edwards, who tackles LJ for no gain.

Third play
Sets up in pass protect against Ray Edwards, who never comes, late getting over to put a chip on Kevin Williams who is owning Mike Goff.

Fourth play.
LJ runs to the left late getting to a hole made by Albert and Waters, and Mike Cox gets owned by EJ Henderson.
Meanwhile, Richardson maintains control of Edwrds until the play is dead.

Fifth play
Doesn't block anyone, looks lost, but play his (apparent) man isn't in on the tackle.

Sixth play
Stones Edwards, creates a seam going man up against Kevin William that Charles to, who gets tackled by Edwards, who owned Sean Ryan.

Seventh play
Doubles down on Williams again,
Sean Ryan has Edwards again, and gets pushed back into Cassel.
Cassel completes a 9 yard pass to Darling.

Eighth play
Seals Edwards to the outside, LJ runs through, and is tackled after only a yard as Kevin Williams comes from the other side to fill the hole.
LJ was slow to get to the hole.

Ninth play
Again sets up in pass protect against Edwards, who doesn't come.

Tenth play
Pushes around and behind Cassel, allowing Cassel to step up and get off a 12 yard completion.
This is the play that was Cassel didn't cross the LOS.
Cassel actually pulled the ball down and started to run when all he needed to do was step up into the pocket.

Eleventh play
Didn't do anything of note, LJ ran to the left, and Edwards wasn't in on the play.

Twelfth play
Got pushed back into Cassel by Edward, but was able to keep himself between Cassel and Edwards, allowing Cassel again to step up and complete another pass, this time for about 6 yards Ryan.

Thirteenth play
Allows Edwards to get underneath him on a third and one play.
Is owned by Edwards.

Fourteenth play
Richardsonis set up in good position, hands on Edwards, LJ chips Edwards on his left side pushing him inside, but Richarsons stays with him, keeps between him and Cassel.
And why are our RBs chipping on the outside when out tackles are already engaged?
They are pretty effectively helping the DE moreso than helping the tackles.

Fifteenth play
Richardson's false start, followed by the now famous trip.

Sixteenth play
The interior O-Line gets pushed back into Cassel's face, meanwhile on the left side, Albert is engaged with Robison, and has him contained until Charles chips Robison on the right, which effectively freed him from Albert and he gets a beeline to Cassel.
I talked about that specific play in another thread.

Meanwhile on the other side, Edwards doesn't get close to Cassel.

Seventeenth play
Richardson doubles down on Williams, but no one blocks Edwards.
Richardson recovers and gets back in time to get a block on Edwards before he can tackle Charles in the backfield.
It is possible that Richardson missed his blocking assignment, Though I have to think that Jed Collins was supposed to pick up that block.

Eighteenth play
Again, Richardson pushes Edwards around and behind Cassel.
The interior of the line gets pushed into Cassel and gives up a sack.

Nineteenth play
Charles in an inside run, Richardson gets pushed some by Edwards when he allows Edwards to get his hands underneath his pads and get leverage, but he keeps Edwards out of the play.

Twentieth play
Richardson keeps himself between Cassel and Williams, who really isn't coming hard.
Cassel is sacked by a blitzer from the other side and fumbles, Richardson recovers.

That's twenty plays with the first unit, and only three or four poor or questionable plays.

He didn't suck.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it, because I thought he struggled just watching it on NFL netork. Just goes to show that you can't judge a player by simply watching the game at full speed once.

L.A. Chieffan
08-26-2009, 10:54 AM
it's pretty simple. just give him more time and he'll only get better

keg in kc
08-26-2009, 10:54 AM
I've been wondering how much trouble the line in general is having with assignments, and how much the system has changed from a year ago. Getting up to speed on new stuff can make an already weak line look even more horrible. Which is what all this practicing is for, fortunately.

JASONSAUTO
08-26-2009, 10:55 AM
but milkman watching it over and over gives you no more insight than someone that watched it once

milkman
08-26-2009, 10:59 AM
but milkman watching it over and over gives you no more insight than someone that watched it once

Dumbasses have the right to have dumbass opinions.

JASONSAUTO
08-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Dumbasses have the right to have dumbass opinions.

so true

dirk digler
08-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Didn't Haley said he sucked and wasn't ready?

L.A. Chieffan
08-26-2009, 11:06 AM

Haley's coaching philosophy: Everybody sucks; watch your ass or you'll get cut

Herm's coaching philosophy: It's gonna be OOOOOKAAAAAYYY

milkman
08-26-2009, 11:06 AM

He didn't say he sucked.

I don't know about the other.

Right now, though, Richardson needs to find a nasty streak somehow, and he has to improve his technique, so I wouldn't say he's ready.

I, however, would say he's better than McIntosh, and he wasn't nearly as bad as many think he was.

dirk digler
08-26-2009, 11:09 AM
He didn't say he sucked.

I don't know about the other.

Right now, though, Richardson needs to find a nasty streak somehow, and he has to improve his technique, so I wouldn't say he's ready.

I, however, would say he's better than McIntosh, and he wasn't nearly as bad as many think he was.

Yeah he didn't say he sucked but he said he wasn't ready. I don't like McIntosh at all and I understand one of the new guys is going to be playing RT now.

Richardson was also later guilty of a false-start penalty. McIntosh replaced Richardson at the start of the second quarter while the rest of the line starters played through the first half.

“I thought he did enough good things to still believe he’s got a chance to be a player at some point,” Haley said of Richardson. “Now when that is, I don’t know. There was enough poor in there to say he’s not ready for prime time.”

JASONSAUTO
08-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Yeah he didn't say he sucked but he said he wasn't ready. I don't like McIntosh at all and I understand one of the new guys is going to be playing RT now.

wasnt richardson back in there in the third qtr?

wasi
08-26-2009, 11:12 AM

IIRC, Haley said the entire line sucked against a line that had two of it's players out. Haley thougth they would be motivated to play against a good front 7 and was probably expecting some pressure on Cassell but for some success in the running game, if for no other reason than sheer determination and effort. I think he wants the line to have more of a mean streak.

milkman
08-26-2009, 11:12 AM

I hadn't read that quote from Haley, but that kind of confirms what I was thinking the implications of bringing Ndukwe in to compete at Rt are.

The Chiefs see Richardson's potential, but aren't ready to hand him the job, but they also want to find someone to replace McIntosh, who sucks ass, and who, it doesn't appear, has really bought into Haley's program.

dirk digler
08-26-2009, 11:13 AM

I don't know

Direckshun
08-26-2009, 11:13 AM
That's twenty plays with the first unit, and only three or four poor or questionable plays.

He didn't suck.

He didn't play well, either.

While I appreciate the hard work that went into this post (rep coming your way), this post smacks a lot of what GoChiefs did in the Mike Goff thread I posted: puts waaaaay too much spin on the facts.

Richardson did not suck, no, but he was beat by Edwards far too much in a quarter and a half of play, he was whistled for a false start, and a couple times lost his blocking assignments.

That is not acceptable.

milkman
08-26-2009, 11:14 AM

Yes he was, with the second unit.

But wasn't he also still practicing with the first unit this week?

SNR
08-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Like I said, I'm more worried about RG and C than I am about Richardson holding down RT.

milkman
08-26-2009, 11:15 AM
He didn't play well, either.

While I appreciate the hard work that went into this post (rep coming your way), this post smacks a lot of what GoChiefs did in the Mike Goff thread I posted: puts waaaaay too much spin on the facts.

Richardson did not suck, no, but he was beat by Edwards far too much in a quarter and a half of play, he was whistled for a false start, and a couple times lost his blocking assignments.

That is not acceptable.

I haven't color coated any of this.

My point is simply this.

He didn't suck.

I've said over and over, he did a credible job, but credible is far from good.

dirk digler
08-26-2009, 11:16 AM
I hadn't read that quote from Haley, but that kind of confirms what I was thinking the implications of bringing Ndukwe in to compete at Rt are.

The Chiefs see Richardson's potential, but aren't ready to hand him the job, but they also want to find someone to replace McIntosh, who sucks ass, and who, it doesn't appear, has really bought into Haley's program.

Yep that is the more likely scenario. IIRC McIntosh was one of the early complainers of camp Haley and probably is still lazy as fuck. Whatever we gave to him was a waste and another great job by Carl.

Direckshun
08-26-2009, 11:17 AM

My point is simply this.

He didn't suck.

That's fair.

L.A. Chieffan
08-26-2009, 11:18 AM

That is not acceptable.

False starts are going to happen in preseason. Especially when new members are being introduced and aren't in sync with the tempo yet. That is why it is important to continue to give him as many reps with the 1st unit as possible.

Direckshun
08-26-2009, 11:19 AM
By the way, MM, you need to do one of these for Harris.

Dane was telling me you're high on the guy.

Micjones
08-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Seems to me that he was wildly inconsistent.
Not sure I'm comfortable with that, but let's see what he has the next 2 games.
I'd put a call in to Levi Jones or Jon Runyan if I were Pioli.

milkman
08-26-2009, 11:25 AM
By the way, MM, you need to do one of these for Harris.

Dane was telling me you're high on the guy.

I've been fairly pleased with his play so far, and with Colin Brown's as well.

Buehler445
08-26-2009, 11:25 AM
Great stuff MM. As always, I appreciate it.

It's interesting that reports from last year say he was not catching onto pass protection, but was good in the run. Now it appears he's solid with pass protection (at least with his feet, being able to stay between them and the QB).

If the reports from last year are accurate, that APPEARS to be tremendous improvement, and cause for great optomism.

What I didn't see from my viewing, maybe you can expand a little bit, was much road grading. Maybe he wasn't asked to do that much, but how did you view his run blocking? Were the holes good sized?

Again, thanks for the analysis.
Posted via Mobile Device

milkman
08-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Seems to me that he was wildly inconsistent.
Not sure I'm comfortable with that, but let's see what he has the next 2 games.
I'd put a call in to Levi Jones or Jon Runyan if I were Pioli.

No question, he was inconsistent.

But I saw enough positive to say that he isn't a player we should give up on.

Great stuff MM. As always, I appreciate it.

It's interesting that reports from last year say he was not catching onto pass protection, but was good in the run. Now it appears he's solid with pass protection (at least with his feet, being able to stay between them and the QB).

If the reports from last year are accurate, that APPEARS to be tremendous improvement, and cause for great optomism.

What I didn't see from my viewing, maybe you can expand a little bit, was much road grading. Maybe he wasn't asked to do that much, but how did you view his run blocking? Were the holes good sized?

Again, thanks for the analysis.
Posted via Mobile Device

The run blocking is why I say he needs to find a way to develop a nasty streak.

He's a little "soft", for lack of a better word.

He should be a road grader, but he's not.

Buehler445
08-26-2009, 11:37 AM
The run blocking is why I say he needs to find a way to develop a nasty streak.

He's a little "soft", for lack of a better word.

He should be a road grader, but he's not.

That's what I thought I was getting from your comments. Soooo...it's pretty much opposite of last year.

Either way, I think this kid needs to stay on the roster. The upside with him appears to be pretty darn high.

I don't know too much about the n00b they're going to try but if he's been with several teams, his ceiling is likely much lower.
Posted via Mobile Device

kc rush
08-26-2009, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the breakdown. It will be interesting to see who starts this third game.

the Talking Can
08-26-2009, 11:59 AM
hopefully halioli and staff can eventually impart the correct dosage of badass he requires...at least he has promise, even that is rare on our ol

Mr. Krab
08-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Dane McDouche does not approve the thread.

Chief Faithful
08-26-2009, 12:31 PM

My point is simply this.

He didn't suck.

I came away with the same conclusion, he didn't suck. I thought he did better than McIntosh with pass blocking. As a run blocker he didn't impress me. Overall, considering his first start, I would rather see Richardson than McIntosh.

Braincase
08-26-2009, 12:43 PM
I find Richardson interesting. He graduated HS in 3 years, as well as finishing up college in 3 as well. He's in his 2nd year now. He is a mountain. I figure if the guy applies his apparent intellect towards improving, he has some potential.

Micjones
08-26-2009, 12:45 PM
No question, he was inconsistent.

But I saw enough positive to say that he isn't a player we should give up on.

Oh of course...That goes without saying. We haven't had the kid long.
He deserves this year and next before any real decision about his future with the Chiefs is made.

DaneMcCloud
08-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Dane McDouche does not approve the thread.

Fuck off, Dumbfuck.

I've been a proponent of Richardson's for quite a while.

You don't even know what the fuck you're talking about.

But what else is new, right?

TFG
08-26-2009, 01:05 PM
Dane and milkman should be commended for actually watching and making OL opinions from watching.

Just for the record, though, Scott Pioli in NO WAY AT ALL gets any credit for Darryl (note TWO R's) Harris. Any NFL team could have spent a 7th on Harris. Any NFL team could have offered Harris an undrafted contract after the Draft - none did. What Pioli did was invite Harris to a TRYOUT. San Diego would have been much better off not spending a Third on the other OLG in the Cotton Bowl, Texas Tech's Louis Vasquez, because he cannot bend his knees and is really vulnerable to a bull rush, and grabbing Harris with just a $10k undrafted offer immediately post Draft. Harris is better than Vasquez by a mile, and that was obvious on the tape of the Cotton Bowl.

Truth be told, Darryl Harris is one of, if not the, best OG prospect from the 2009 NFL Draft, and all 32 teams completely whiffed on him... because when they watched Ole Miss, they were watching Oher, and never noticed that the OLG next to Oher graded out higher than Oher...

DaneMcCloud
08-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Dane and milkman should be commended for actually watching and making OL opinions from watching.

Just for the record, though, Scott Pioli in NO WAY AT ALL gets any credit for Darryl (note TWO R's) Harris. Any NFL team could have spent a 7th on Harris. Any NFL team could have offered Harris an undrafted contract after the Draft - none did. What Pioli did was invite Harris to a TRYOUT. San Diego would have been much better off not spending a Third on the other OLG in the Cotton Bowl, Texas Tech's Louis Vasquez, because he cannot bend his knees and is really vulnerable to a bull rush, and grabbing Harris with just a $10k undrafted offer immediately post Draft. Harris is better than Vasquez by a mile, and that was obvious on the tape of the Cotton Bowl.

Truth be told, Darryl Harris is one of, if not the, best OG prospect from the 2009 NFL Draft, and all 32 teams completely whiffed on him... because when they watched Ole Miss, they were watching Oher, and never noticed that the OLG next to Oher graded out higher than Oher...

Wow, thanks for the kind words and welcome to the 'Planet!

I made some notes about Harris in the "Individual" thread about Saturday night's game against Minnesota as well the first notes ever about Harris earlier in the thread against the Texans. I'm anxious to see him this week against Seattle.

In all honesty, he's the most excited been about an offensive lineman in quite some time because he's young, has the perfect body for the left guard spot and is performing way above expectations. If you told me he was a second rounder, I wouldn't be surprised. But to be an UDFA?

IMO, I think the guy has a very, very bright future.

Mr. Krab
08-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Fuck off, Dumbfuck.

I've been a proponent of Richardson's for quite a while.

You don't even know what the fuck you're talking about.

But what else is new, right?
You really sound like a proponent of Richardson.

One or more of other 31 teams will release a better right tackle than anyone currently on the Chiefs roster.And you think that Richardson is going to be "okay" at right tackle?

LMAO

What did you watch it on? Your iPhone?Pretty much.

The Chiefs don't even have a "true" right tackle on the roster.

They're all converted left tackles. And none can run block.

DaneMcCloud
08-26-2009, 01:15 PM
You really sound like a proponent of Richardson.

I've never stated that he sucked. I've never stated that he should be cut. When he lined up at left tackle, I thought he played extremely well and said so many times. I've said that he has had a difficult transition to the right side and that he's struggled at times but in no way, shape or form have I dismissed him from a roster spot.

I've also stated that if any team came looking for a left tackle, I'd trade Taylor and keep Richardson as the backup to Albert.

I think that's pretty much being a proponent of the guy.

Chiefnj2
08-26-2009, 01:18 PM
Richardson and the entire OL sucked ass last week against the Vikings*.

* played without half their starting DL.

the Talking Can
08-26-2009, 01:27 PM

interesting comments

welcome to the planet

and brace yourself

Buehler445
08-26-2009, 01:30 PM
That's a hell of a first post. Welcome to the Planet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Micjones
08-26-2009, 01:42 PM

Was Darryl Harris recently signed by Pioli?

wild1
08-26-2009, 01:45 PM

I agree. This place is primarily just "___ sucks" other than the articles (I'm guilty too). It's nice to have people who know something about blocking say so. Heck we have people putting up blog posts about blocking who know nothing about blocking. And that thread where someone said Richardson was "owned" when another lineman tripped him was just shameful.

If we get one well-informed and measured post on the subject we ought to be grateful of that. I don't understand all the dane hate. He seems reasonable and brings a lot to the community

KCrockaholic
08-26-2009, 01:46 PM
Not sure if you knew this milkman, but your little breakdown made on arrowheadpride.com sweet job.

TFG
08-26-2009, 01:55 PM

I would argue that if anyone gets "credit" it would be Haley and the OL coach for noticing that "tryout player" Harris deserved a camp look. Pioli signed Harris because those doing the "tryout" liked Harris, not Pioli. If Pioli had liked Harris, Harris would have been either Drafted or given an immediate bonus and contract as an undrafted.

Thanks everyone for the welcome.

I used to do a Draft website. Had a fourth round grade on some stiff named Ryan Lilja, but he went undrafted and then got cut, "proving" that "TFG" was totally wrong about Lilja...

After watching Harris all year and noticing the "NFL Draft gurus" save Rob Rang did not know who the starting OLG for Ole Miss was, I may try again...

Micjones
08-26-2009, 02:00 PM
I would argue that if anyone gets "credit" it would be Haley and the OL coach for noticing that "tryout player" Harris deserved a camp look. Pioli signed Harris because those doing the "tryout" liked Harris, not Pioli. If Pioli had liked Harris, Harris would have been either Drafted or given an immediate bonus and contract as an undrafted.

I knew nothing at all about Harris so I'm not suggesting I have even the slightest idea of who should take credit. I just wanted more information about the story.

I used to do a Draft website. Had a fourth round grade on some stiff named Ryan Lilja, but he went undrafted and then got cut, "proving" that "TFG" was totally wrong about Lilja...

You just had to reopen that wound huh?

DaneMcCloud
08-26-2009, 02:18 PM

He was signed on May 8th

DJ's left nut
08-26-2009, 02:41 PM
Richardson was well below average, IMO.

That said, Sean Ryan made him look even worse. I've yet to see anything even resembling passable from that guy, he's truly terrible.

If Richardson had a credible blocking TE alongside him, he'd have looked a hell of a lot better.

DaneMcCloud
08-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Richardson was well below average, IMO.

Apparently, you didn't read Milkman's scouting report.

Chiefnj2
08-26-2009, 03:02 PM

You changed your mind about Richardson after reading Milkman's post? You thought he did a good job?

When Krab said "I said he [Richardson] wasn't as bad as some people are suggesting." you replied:

"**** you, Doucheknuckle.

You're a ****ing idiot for even making that suggestion."

milkman
08-26-2009, 03:13 PM
Not sure if you knew this milkman, but your little breakdown made on arrowheadpride.com sweet job.

Not only did I not know this, I don't know what the hell an "arrowhead.com sweet job" is.

the Talking Can
08-26-2009, 03:17 PM
Not only did I not know this, I don't know what the hell an "arrowhead.com sweet job" is.

it's Carl giving hj's the arrowhead parking lot

DaneMcCloud
08-26-2009, 03:18 PM
You changed your mind about Richardson after reading Milkman's post? You thought he did a good job?

When Krab said "I said he [Richardson] wasn't as bad as some people are suggesting." you replied:

"**** you, Doucheknuckle.

You're a ****ing idiot for even making that suggestion."

Why don't you mind your own business and go play in the kiddie pool

KCrockaholic
08-26-2009, 03:21 PM

Its not "arrowhead.com", its arrowheadpride.com. Do I need to have perfect punctuation on every post? Its the f*ckin internet.

the Talking Can
08-26-2009, 03:23 PM
Its not "arrowhead.com", its arrowheadpride.com. Do I need to have perfect punctuation on every post? Its the f*ckin internet.

no but correct spelling would probably help people who have no idea what you're talking about

milkman
08-26-2009, 03:26 PM

What?

Sorry.

I fucked up.

I don't know what "arrowheadpride.com sweet job" is.

I honestly have no clue what you are telling me that my breakdown made it on.

DaneMcCloud
08-26-2009, 03:28 PM
What?

Sorry.

I fucked up.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/

It's filled full of retards

Chiefnj2
08-26-2009, 03:28 PM
Why don't you mind your own business and go play in the kiddie pool

It's okay. I understand that before replying you want to wait to see what MM says so you can copy him and act like it's your own opinion.

DaneMcCloud
08-26-2009, 03:30 PM
It's okay. I understand that before replying you want to wait to see what MM says so you can copy him and act like it's your own opinion.

Oh, just fuck off.

I was replying to that fucking asswipe, Mr. Kunt, not to you.

And my analysis still stands. He's better suited at left tackle than right tackle, I'd trade Taylor if the Chiefs determine that they can't keep both players AND Richardson has difficulty sealing off the outside.

Go play in the kiddie pool.

The water's too deep here for retards like yourself.

KCrockaholic
08-26-2009, 03:40 PM
What?

Sorry.

I ****ed up.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/8/26/1003012/chiefs-barry-richardson-against

Heres a direct link. I was just trying to give you some props and let you know other sites took notice..

Micjones
08-26-2009, 03:42 PM
He was signed on May 8th

Wow... Not sure how I missed that.

milkman
08-26-2009, 03:53 PM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/

It's filled full of retards

Thanks.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/8/26/1003012/chiefs-barry-richardson-against

Heres a direct link. I was just trying to give you some props and let you know other sites took notice..

Yeah, thanks.

I know I'm an ass so I understand the response you had to my original post in response to you.

DaneMcCloud
08-26-2009, 04:06 PM

Probably just like the rest of us. :D

I couldn't believe how well he played against the Texans and immediately searched for his info.

A good sports writer would have written up a story on him by now but as we all know, the Chiefs beat writers suck ass.

milkman
08-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Oh, just **** off.

I was replying to that ****ing asswipe, Mr. Kunt, not to you.

And my analysis still stands. He's better suited at left tackle than right tackle, I'd trade Taylor if the Chiefs determine that they can't keep both players AND Richardson has difficulty sealing off the outside.

Go play in the kiddie pool.

The water's too deep here for retards like yourself.

You and I both commented on the fact that Richardson played much better at LT than he did at RT against the Texans, but the progress he made at RT from the first game against the Texans and the second game against the Vikings was glaring.

DaneMcCloud
08-26-2009, 05:19 PM
You and I both commented on the fact that Richardson played much better at LT than he did at RT against the Texans, but the progress he made at RT from the first game against the Texans and the second game against the Vikings was glaring.

Absolutely.

But in my opinion (and you know what that's worth!) is that he's still not ready to anchor the right side of the line. We can only hope that he continues to improve.

One thing's for certain: Bill Muir is definitely doing his job.

DeezNutz
08-26-2009, 05:19 PM
If milk would ever offer some football insight, his posts would be a lot better.

Seriously, nice job. As I've said before, these are the types of threads that exemplify why CP kicks ass.

Chocolate Hog
08-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Funny people can watch the same game and have different opinons. Richardson looked like a 5th round pick who hadn't played much. He certainly wasn't pushing the guy forward, neither was anyone else on the Chiefs O-line.

milkman
08-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Absolutely.

But in my opinion (and you know what that's worth!) is that he's still not ready to anchor the right side of the line. We can only hope that he continues to improve.

I agree.
But after that Texans game, I didn't believe he had any real upside to hold down the job at RT.
But, as I said, his improvemnt in the Viking game was glaring.

One thing's for certain: Bill Muir is definitely doing his job.

No question.
Richardson stands as evidence of that, and as I've pointed out many times elsewhere, Niswanger, as badly as he's sucking in this preseason, is, for the first time as a Chief, finally showing technicle improvement.

Now, will he ever be a good center?
Who knows, but at least he is finally learning the proper technique, which gives him the chance to eventually succeed.
Something he never had under the previous regime.

milkman
08-26-2009, 05:31 PM
Funny people can watch the same game and have different opinons. Richardson looked like a 5th round pick who hadn't played much. He certainly wasn't pushing the guy forward, neither was anyone else on the Chiefs O-line.

We aren't even disagreeing.

I've said it in this thread.
His run blocking was soft, but the point is that, while he wasn't any more than credible, he didn't suck.

He also needs to get a better outside push in pass protect, but the fact is, he did his job well enough to keep Cassel clean, and allow him to step up and make plays.

He's a work in progress, but he has some tools to build on.

Chocolate Hog
08-26-2009, 05:39 PM
We aren't even disagreeing.

I've said it in this thread.
His run blocking was soft, but the point is that, while he wasn't any more than credible, he didn't suck.

He also needs to get a better outside push in pass protect, but the fact is, he did his job well enough to keep Cassel clean, and allow him to step up and make plays.

He's a work in progress, but he has some tools to build on.

Nah I was talking about Sauto and them. Yea I mean how much credit goes to Herm for drafting this guy and how much credit goes to Pioli/Haley for developing this guy? He'll be a nice peice. Fuck a coaching staff actually developing talent? That hasn't happend with the Chiefs in along time.

TFG
08-26-2009, 05:39 PM

There were original post Draft announcements of undrafted signings. Harris was not one of them. During the first post-Draft camp, 13 "tryout" players were invited, and Harris was the only one to get a contract. Hence, if you watched the Draft, saw the initial undrafted signings (the ones Pioli does get credit for) and then tuned out later in the week, you missed Harris. Tryout players are long shots just to get signed for camp fodder, much less make the team, or... be clearly the second best interior on the current roster.

DaneMcCloud
08-26-2009, 05:42 PM
Nah I was talking about Sauto and them. Yea I mean how much credit goes to Herm for drafting this guy and how much credit goes to Pioli/Haley for developing this guy? He'll be a nice peice. Fuck a coaching staff actually developing talent? That hasn't happend with the Chiefs in along time.

50 years IS a long time

Chocolate Hog
08-26-2009, 05:44 PM
Has it really been 50 years? For fucks sake Lamar Hunt really was a shitty owner.

TFG
08-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Probably just like the rest of us. :D

I couldn't believe how well he played against the Texans and immediately searched for his info.

A good sports writer would have written up a story on him by now but as we all know, the Chiefs beat writers suck ass.

Harris was a fifth or six year senior who had various injuries, including an elbow which kept him out of a few games last year, and he played the Cotton Bowl with a sleeve on the right elbow. Even with the sleeve, the kid dominated and did not make a single error the whole game. Athletically, he is truly "First Day" caliber. He has played C and ORT but I haven't film of that. Ole Miss OL last year was one of the best college OLs you will ever see. Harris has power, speed, athleticism, knee bend, anchor, great pulling and trapping ability, and even won an academic award at some point (but, hey, let's not get carried away about the intelligence of Ole Miss players...)

Indeed, if they aren't going to move Waters to C, they ought to LOOK at Harris at ORT. Harris should not be on the pine on this roster. That is a grotesque misuse of available talent.

milkman
08-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Harris was a fifth or six year senior who had various injuries, including an elbow which kept him out of a few games last year, and he played the Cotton Bowl with a sleeve on the right elbow. Even with the sleeve, the kid dominated and did not make a single error the whole game. Athletically, he is truly "First Day" caliber. He has played C and ORT but I haven't film of that. Ole Miss OL last year was one of the best college OLs you will ever see. Harris has power, speed, athleticism, knee bend, anchor, great pulling and trapping ability, and even won an academic award at some point (but, hey, let's not get carried away about the intelligence of Ole Miss players...)

Indeed, if they aren't going to move Waters to C, they ought to LOOK at Harris at ORT. Harris should not be on the pine on this roster. That is a grotesque misuse of available talent.

Well, hell, he's played center?

There's another hole he could look to fill.

milkman
08-26-2009, 05:57 PM
I'm assuming you're an Ole Miss fan TFG.

Thanks for the insight.

TFG
08-26-2009, 06:10 PM
Well, hell, he's played center?

There's another hole he could look to fill.

There have been reports that Harris has had some work at C in the camps. There was also a weird quote from Haley about the eventual C coming from "another position" or something like that. Waters, however, played C in NFLE and at least some in the NFL. Given that SD and Den play 3-4, I really favor trying Waters, but I haven't seen him snap.

Truth be told, without watching him snap, I cannot assess. A Center must be "ergonomically correct," meaning that the snap motion ends with the C in perfect balance and position to block. In this Draft, the most perfect such motion belongs to undrafted Edwin Williams of Maryland, now with the Skins. Alex Mack is really a much better OG prospect than C prospect because he "crouches" to snap and has a lot of motion with the snap to get into position, and can get beat off the snap because of it.

Guard prospects from 2009

Mack
Harris
ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

2009 was, however, a very good year for OT prospects.

I am a Vanderbilt alum. Vandy went to Ole Miss last year and got Jevan Snead's "first year disaster game" (4 bad picks) and beat the Rebs. Then the Rebs got kinda mad about that, and then they went to The Swamp. Want to motivate your SEC team? How about a home loss to Vandy because of 4 picks and a fumble at the goalline...

KCUnited
08-26-2009, 06:18 PM
I appreciate individual breakdown as well, but when you miss the fucking coach giving his take, none of it matters.

DJ's left nut
08-26-2009, 06:29 PM

I read it and gave it its due weight.

I feel it paints a slightly rosier picture than I would've. I also feel that it doesn't take into account sufficient relativity - these aren't college players here, this is the NFL. Richardson's performance wasn't a play after play suckfest, but average NFL lineman don't play like Richardson did. If each lineman blew 3 of every 20 plays, you'd be talking about 3/4 of the plays you run being busted. Being beaten "3 or 4 times" out of 20 plays is hardly average.

He says 'credible but didn't suck', I said 'below average'; I think we're looking at 6 in one hand, 1/2 dozen in the other.

Richardson was nowhere near a starting quality RT for even a .500 team, but he'd have been an acceptable emergency fill-in. Sean Ryan made him look even worse. This doesn't even account for the fact that the coaches were rarely comfortable enough with Richardson to put him on an island; he had help on most of his plays.

So A) he needed help to look better and B) he didn't get it.

In short - he was a below average NFL lineman.

veist
08-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Richardson's biggest knock in the draft that he didn't have that mean streak and needed someone to motivate him? Maybe we have that motivator now?

milkman
08-26-2009, 08:49 PM
I read it and gave it its due weight.

I feel it paints a slightly rosier picture than I would've. I also feel that it doesn't take into account sufficient relativity - these aren't college players here, this is the NFL. Richardson's performance wasn't a play after play suckfest, but average NFL lineman don't play like Richardson did. If each lineman blew 3 of every 20 plays, you'd be talking about 3/4 of the plays you run being busted. Being beaten "3 or 4 times" out of 20 plays is hardly average.

He says 'credible but didn't suck', I said 'below average'; I think we're looking at 6 in one hand, 1/2 dozen in the other.

Richardson was nowhere near a starting quality RT for even a .500 team, but he'd have been an acceptable emergency fill-in. Sean Ryan made him look even worse. This doesn't even account for the fact that the coaches were rarely comfortable enough with Richardson to put him on an island; he had help on most of his plays.

So A) he needed help to look better and B) he didn't get it.

In short - he was a below average NFL lineman.

I'm sorry, but Richardson only got help on one play, the poorly executed chip by Charles.

When he was involved in double teaming, he didn't get help, he was the help, doubling down on Williams, Goff's man.