PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs' insider: I would rather have Bowe than Marshall

Count Alex's Losses
08-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Some interesting stuff here. Any speculation on whom the "source" might be? Denny Thum? Mitch Holthus?

http://community.kdvr.com/_Chiefs-Inside-Source-Marshall-And-Bowe-In-Similar-Circumstances/BLOG/576552/96399.html;jsessionid=7CDE33CADAAF3AA3569DE02726479913?as=96399

Right now, Kansas City Chiefs head coach Todd Haley is in the midst of showing his top wide receiver Dwayne Bowe who is boss, while Denver Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels is doing the same with Brandon Marshall.

“It’s the same argument with Haley and Bowe as it is with McDaniels and Marshall. It is a power struggle where both coaches are saying I’m not giving into you because I don’t have to, and you’ll be a better player for it. Both coaches are reading from the same speech it seems,” said a well-placed source within the Chiefs organization Monday.

On the Broncos side, Marshall is a newly-mint<wbr>ed Pro Bowler with two 1,200 plus yard seasons to his resume. However, he was listed as a second string player on the release of the Broncos’ first depth chart, and was practicing<wbr> with the scout team coming into Tuesday’s workout.

On the Chiefs side, Bowe is the team’s 2007 first rounder who led all rookie receivers his first season in all main categories<wbr>, and who practicall<wbr>y has two 1,000 yard seasons as the team's best wide receiver as well (Bowe 995 receiving yards in '07). Ironically<wbr> though Bowe was listed as a third team player on the Chiefs first depth chart, and still was coming into Tuesday’s workout.

Now, even though Marshall recently told Michael Irvin on his radio show that he thinks McDaniels is a good coach, in my opinion he doesn't hold the man at the helm in that high of esteem. These days Marshall is ever mindful of what he says on the record with his money more at stake.

Despite the fact sources still say Marshall is remaining “cool” about not traveling to Seattle for the team's second preseason game, I believe the fact Marshall was made to watch the game back in Denver is further evidence of friction between the two.

As for Bowe’s current relationsh<wbr>ip with Haley after being benched in their first preseason game against the Houston Texans, and then playing with the first team offense against the Vikings?

“I would say there is definitely<wbr> some lingering animosity between the two (despite Bowe’s current improving situation.<wbr>) (Bowe’s) emotion is what it is. But the bottom line is, just like in Denver there is a big push to make sure people have new attitudes,<wbr> and D-Bo is a part of that residue,” the Chiefs insider continued.<wbr>

In reaction to the upheaval with Bowe’s benching, a lot of reports are surfacing that speculate Bowe is on the block, while Marshall trade talks continues as well.

So what's the likelihood<wbr> either player will depart in the eyes of this Chiefs insider?

“In Bowe’s case I’d say zero. He is not going anywhere right now.”

This source’s answer is not from someone in the organizati<wbr>on directly declaring that within their earshot; it comes from their analysis of the team’s current situation.<wbr>

“Nobody specifical<wbr>ly has said (Bowe wont get traded) for sure, but I just think where we are at receiver, it would be stupid.”

As for Brandon Marshall?

“I’d say for Marshall, 30 percent chance they move him. That is only because the Broncos have proven they would move a player of significan<wbr>t caliber for more of an unknown. I don’t want to bash (Kyle) Orton because I do believe he is a capable quarterbac<wbr>k, I just don’t know that he is the franchise guy I want running my operation.<wbr> The Broncos had an elite quarterbac<wbr>k in Jay Cutler, and you moved him for a non-elite quarterbac<wbr>k. That makes absolutely<wbr> no sense to me.”

“As for as the Chiefs right now, we are not going to send Dwayne Bowe for a second or third (round) pick, for some mythical unknown in the future when right now our team needs help.”

But wait a minute, didn’t the Chiefs do exactly that with tight end Tony Gonzalez back in April after sending their Pro Bowl wide receiver to Atlanta for a second-rou<wbr>nder?

“When we got the pick for Tony we were going into the offseason.<wbr> We were going into making selections<wbr> and changing our roster. Now we are at a different point in the season. If we were going to chalk this year up, maybe a trade makes sense, but I just don’t see us throwing in the towel at this juncture. There has to be some improvemen<wbr>t with the changes we’ve already made.”

Even as Haley admits now Bowe’s attitude and performanc<wbr>e shows improvemen<wbr>t, the question is, can the two truly co-exist?

“There is no secret that Haley is just a gruff personalit<wbr>y. You saw it in Dallas with Terrell Owens, where everybody blamed it all on T.O. and they shouldn’t have. Then in Arizona (Haley) didn’t just have blow-ups with (Anquan) Boldin, he had them with Larry (Fitzgeral<wbr>d) too.

“No doubt Haley is volatile, and if you argue with everybody everywhere<wbr> you have to look yourself in the mirror at some point. However, from my vantage point they can continue to be together right now. This is also because it has not impacted Bowe’s money by carrying on into the regular season yet. That’s when people start to say, 'You can kiss my you-know-w<wbr>hat.'”

In Marshall’s case, he has missed both Broncos preseason games. But regardless<wbr> of how much missing both playing opportunit<wbr>ies has to do with injury or ego from either player or coach, there are some that feel on both the inside and on the periphery that Marshall’s move is not to fret now.

“Just like with Bowe, in my opinion right now Marshall’s money is not being impacted. If this continues into the regular season, then you have a gripe.”

Moreover, after considerin<wbr>g the instant turnaround<wbr> in the active practice status of cornerback<wbr> Champ Bailey, defensive tackle Marcus Thomas, and safety Renaldo Hill one day after failing McDaniels’ conditioni<wbr>ng test the first day of full-squad<wbr> training camp, and Broncos owner Pat Bowlen’s obvious final say during situations<wbr> that call for discipline<wbr>, the Chiefs insider source opined this:

“To me, Marshall looks to have the owner in his back pocket, especially<wbr> with the way Kyle Orton is playing. When it comes to being in the midst of actually winning and losing in the regular season, Marshall can pee on Josh’s desk and Bowlen isn’t going to say anything. Sooner or later, like what seemingly happened with Bailey and those guys, Bowlen might tell McDaniels to shut up.”

Even though Orton responded to his dismal three-inte<wbr>rception debut with a more confident performanc<wbr>e last Saturday, leverage has not been lessened in Orton’s tenuous situation as the leader of the Broncos offense.

“Wait to you get closer to Week One. I wouldn’t be surprised if (Bowlen) comes downstairs<wbr> and says, 'Brandon, still not working with ones, young man? (Clear throat) I said, Brandon, still not working with the ones? We need to figure out a package for him, don’t we?’ Sometimes it can just be that simple.”

The depth chart that the Broncos released on August 22 (the same day as the Seattle game) now has Marshall listed with the first string. Bowlen’s influence in that matter is anyone’s guess; however, to suggest that Bowlen has never questioned<wbr> his new coach is probably not smart.

“How come nobody is saying in Denver how much (general manager) Brian Xanders and boy genius McDaniels could turn out to be a disaster? I'm saying that and I have nothing against Xanders or McDaniels.<wbr> Those two could lose their jobs playing fantasy football up there. There is no salary cap hit for firing a coach. I just think with the NFC East in the schedule, on top of the other ridiculous<wbr> match-ups,<wbr> there is not much relief in sight.”

Do McDaniels and the Broncos have leverage with the fact that his Patriots offensive system is proven, and, that it doesn’t require Orton to have a Cutler-lik<wbr>e arm on every play? I asked that question when I saw how overt McDaniels was in establishi<wbr>ng former Patriot Jabar Gaffney in the short crossing-r<wbr>oute game against the Seahawks last Saturday.

“When the Kentucky Derby starts, and they blow the horn, you better be sitting on a good horse. You can run out there with Mr. Ed if you want to, and have everyone laughing. Don’t get me wrong, Gaffney is all right, but he was one of the pit crew in New England; he wasn’t driving the race car.”

With that emphatic statement,<wbr> the well-place<wbr>d Chiefs insider says the Broncos need to just give Marshall his money now because it could be more economic in the end after all.

“Just extend the man and get it over with. You can always trade him later. You may stand to save more money with the small amount of good faith that you have left right now. What if the Collective<wbr> Bargaining<wbr> Agreement gets resolved, and he becomes an unrestrict<wbr>ed free agent? Now you have no good faith after messing with him during the regular season, and then you lose all good faith. Now Marshall is on a plane to Washington<wbr>, or to the bank with Jerry Jones, and Bowlen is ready to kill everybody in the building because you opened Pandora’s box en route to a bidding war. Not that he would do that, but I am just saying.”

Yet ironically<wbr>, even if Marshall became available to Kansas City, this member of the Chiefs organizati<wbr>on would actually rather stick with Bowe.

“Marshall is nice - matter of fact, in a lot of respects he’s better then Dwayne, but here is where I draw the line: where there is some smoke, there is fire. His case may have been adjudicate<wbr>d and you won your court proceeding<wbr>s, but I also know Bowe, and I truly believe his heart is in the right place. Is (Bowe’s) work ethic where the coaching staff would like it to be completely<wbr>? No. I just know that Bowe means well. I don’t know that about Brandon. He’s physically<wbr> more gifted than D-Bo, but sorry to say, I will settle for the one I have right now.”

Yes. Right now.

That seems to be the comment for everybody “right now.”

ChiefJustice
08-26-2009, 10:47 AM
said a well-placed source within the Chiefs organization Monday.
Was this reporter sitting on a couch when she was able to scoop up this info?

Von Dumbass
08-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Thank you for posting this GoChiefs:clap: I tried to get someone to post this article last night and they wouldn't.

JASONSAUTO
08-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Thank you for posting this GoChiefs:clap: I tried to get someone to post this article last night and they wouldn't.

thats because the article is ignorant.

LaChapelle
08-26-2009, 10:57 AM
It's a narrow step up from a blog.

Demonpenz
08-26-2009, 10:58 AM
bowe's stupid, but he's OUR stupid

Raised On Riots
08-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Can I pee on Bowlen's desk?

KCtotheSB
08-26-2009, 11:04 AM
You want to talk about volatile? There was an ESPN report not too long ago about Marshall and his inability to stop acting like a jackass off the field with his girlfriend. Of course, this lead to legal troubles which could lead to suspensions in his future. Couple that with this financial fiasco with the Broncos, his diva personality (comes standard with any wideout these days...).....it goes on and on. Regardless of talent, I'm sure even the Broncos would want D-Bowe too at this point.

Goddamn, I love this Broncos offseason.

Mile High Mania
08-26-2009, 11:13 AM
Gotta love the misleading thread title...

wild1
08-26-2009, 11:19 AM
It sucks that Bowe had to come along in the Carl and Herm era. It would be better if he'd taken a year off than have that culture of failure ingrained in him, only to have the new regime have to try to remove it.

MikeMaslowski
08-26-2009, 11:19 AM
But wait a minute, didn’t the Chiefs do exactly that with tight end Tony Gonzalez back in April after sending their Pro Bowl wide receiver to Atlanta for a second-rounder?

Hmmm... was that sarcasm or stupidity?

KCtotheSB
08-26-2009, 11:21 AM
But wait a minute, didn’t the Chiefs do exactly that with tight end Tony Gonzalez back in April after sending their Pro Bowl wide receiver to Atlanta for a second-rounder?

Hmmm... was that sarcasm or stupidity?

Your avatar makes the workday so much better. Time to go jerk off in the stall.

MikeMaslowski
08-26-2009, 11:23 AM
Your avatar makes the workday so much better. Time to go jerk off in the stall.

It's actually a transvestite... that's why everything above and below the neck is hidden. Happy jerkin!

Fat Elvis
08-26-2009, 12:39 PM
Funny how a chick in Denver has more inside sources than WPI now.

Sure-Oz
08-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Bowe would rather stare at the mirror at himself like Vanity Smurf than actually work his tail off to be a better football player on game days

Kerberos
08-26-2009, 12:47 PM
"He's getting a lot of heat now, but someone who knows coaches well predicted to me that McDaniels is going to be one of the greatest NFL coaches ever. Strong words, I know, and we'll see. But I think he's going to be a real good one".

- Adam Schefter on Josh McDaniels .

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Adam Schefter is the biggest joke in thd media. I wouldn't link anything he says about my team or coach because he is the biggest hack of all journalist out there... IMO.

wild1
08-26-2009, 12:52 PM
ROFL ROFL ROFL

Adam Schefter is the biggest joke in thd media. I wouldn't link anything he says about my team or coach because he is the biggest hack of all journalist out there... IMO.

that's what I said. He swore up and down that Mike Shanahan would not coach the Chiefs this year. Obviously his opinion means zero.

Warrior5
08-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Can I pee on Bowlen's desk?

By all means, piss on Denver.

Raised On Riots
08-26-2009, 01:17 PM
By all means, piss on Denver.

ROFL Rep!

Chocolate Hog
08-26-2009, 02:01 PM
How many of Bowes teammates have been killed cuz of Bowes big mouth? I'd rather have Bowe too.

Kerberos
08-26-2009, 02:02 PM
that's what I said. He swore up and down that Mike Shanahan would not coach the Chiefs this year. Obviously his opinion means zero.

I'm pretty sure Adam was the hack that was reporting that Shanny WAS going to the Chiefs and Nick Athan reported "The Deal is Done" right after Schefter reported it.

So you are right .... his opinions and credibility in my book are zero

Just Passin' By
08-26-2009, 02:04 PM

I'm pretty sure Adam was the hack that was reporting that Shanny WAS going to the Chiefs and Nick "Assclown" Athan reported "The Deal is Done" right after Schefter reported it.

No reporter who breaks speculation pieces is going to be right every time, even when he claims to be 100% sure. It's the nature of the business.

Von Dumbass
08-26-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm pretty sure Adam was the hack that was reporting that Shanny WAS going to the Chiefs and Nick "Assclown" Athan reported "The Deal is Done" right after Schefter reported it.

Nope.

Chris Mortenson was on ESPN saying that a Shanahan to KC deal was close to being done. Adam Schefter heard about the report, called Shanahan, and Shanahan laughed and said he never talked to the Chiefs.

It was actually a big duel because Mortenson wouldn't back down from his report, and Schefter made Mortenson and Athan look like fools.

Count Alex's Losses
08-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Nope.

Chris Mortenson was on ESPN saying that a Shanahan to KC deal was close to being done. Adam Schefter heard about the report, called Shanahan, and Shanahan laughed and said he never talked to the Chiefs.

It was actually a big duel because Mortenson wouldn't back down from his report, and Schefter made Mortenson and Athan look like fools.

Athan didn't look like a fool. He never reported anything regarding Shanahan being hired, or a deal being close.

Schefter, of course, looked foolish earlier in the offseason when he reported Pioli would never be a Chief.

Von Dumbass
08-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Athan didn't look like a fool. He never reported anything regarding Shanahan being hired, or a deal being close.

Schefter, of course, looked foolish earlier in the offseason when he reported Pioli would never be a Chief.

Didn't he send Schefter or somebody like that a text in all caps saying... "THE DEAL IS DONE" pertaining to Shanahan.

Chocolate Hog
08-26-2009, 02:15 PM
Schefter really said Pioli would never be a Chief?

Von Dumbass
MORT AND SCHEFTER DUEL OVER REPORTS OF SHANAHAN TO CHIEFS
Posted by Mike Florio on January 23, 2009 5:48 PM ET

This is getting pretty good.

Two of the top NFL information men in the business are engaged in a duel regarding the question of whether the Kansas City Chiefs are talking to former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan regarding the possibility of replacing former Chiefs coach Herm Edwards.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that the Chiefs and Shanahan are closing in on a deal.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reported on Thursday, and has reiterated today, that the Chiefs have made no contact with Shanahan.

"[U]nless people I have known for years are blatantly lying to me, Shanahan is not going to be the next head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs," Schefter writes. "It is not happening. People can keep talking as if it is. But it is not. He will not be the head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs in 2009."

Pistols or swords, gentlemen?
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/01/23/mort-and-schefter-duel-over-reports-of-shanahan-to-chiefs/

MORT BACKS OFF ON SHANAHAN-TO-CHIEFS
Posted by Mike Florio on January 23, 2009 8:26 PM ET

After reporting that the Chiefs and former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan were close to a deal that would make Shanahan the successor to Herm Edwards and in the face of a strenuous and unequivocal report from Adam Schefter of NFL Network, who once co-authored a book with Shanahan, Mortensen has backed off.

Mortensen is now reporting that the Chiefs have targeted Shanahan as a potential replacement for Edwards.

To his credit, the current version of Mort's story acknowledges Schefter's report.

That said, the current version of Mort's report doesn't disclose that ESPN previously was reporting that Shanahan and the Chiefs were nearing an agreement.

So the duel has been resolved -- and Schefter has driven his Prius at less than five miles per hour into Mort's leg.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/01/23/mort-backs-off-on-shanahan-to-chiefs/

Count Alex's Losses
Didn't he send Schefter or somebody like that a text in all caps saying... "THE DEAL IS DONE" pertaining to Shanahan.

I don't know the specifics, and I don't care. It's irrelevant.

Von Dumbass
08-26-2009, 02:16 PM
WE GET CHASTISED FOR CITING Nick "Assclown" Athan
Posted by Mike Florio on February 4, 2009 2:07 PM ET
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/02/04/we-get-chastised-for-citing-nick-athan/
I've known Nick "Assclown" Athan of Warpaint Illustrated for several years, and I've never regarded him as a questionable source of Chiefs news.

But that might be a result of the fact that I don't pay much attention to the Chiefs.

With Athan's report that Chiefs owner Clark Hunt recently said that the team has complied with the Rooney Rule when in fact Hunt never has said any such thing, we've now got serious concerns.

Our concerns became even more pointed upon receiving moments ago the following IM from Jason Whitlock: "LEAVE Nick "Assclown" Athan ALONE. . . total assclown. ASSCLOWN."

(You know, Whitlock's career would really take off if he'd quit being so damned wishy-washy about his opinions.)

"[F]eel free to quote me by name," Whitlock said, "belittling you for even responding to that assclown's e-mail. [H]e's the guy who sent NFL [N]etwork an e-mail saying the [C]hiefs' deal for [S]hanahan was DONE and that [S]chefter was wrong. [A]than is an assclown."

Whitlock's opinions regarding Athan's are Whitlock's alone, primarily since I've never been able to identify a consensus definition of the term "assclown."

That said, Whitlock has never steered me wrong in the past, so I probably will be heeding his advice.

Count Alex's Losses
08-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Yes, let's raise the dead. Woo hoo.

KCtotheSB
08-26-2009, 02:33 PM
Ah, so that's the origin of "assclown"....or does the rabbit hole go further?