PDA

View Full Version : Science New Hoover Dam Bridge-Anyone driven by it lately?

vailpass
08-26-2009, 02:33 PM
How the hell they can build something that high up, that stretched out, held up by cables and hewn into the living stone is beyond me.
Frigging cool.
Anyone seen it lately?

vailpass
08-26-2009, 02:34 PM
You wouldn't catch me up there that high...

rockymtnchief
08-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Where's the pictures?

vailpass
08-26-2009, 02:35 PM
wish I knew how to make these pics appear larger here...

vailpass
08-26-2009, 02:36 PM

ChiefaRoo
08-26-2009, 02:36 PM
How the hell they can build something that high up, that stretched out, held up by cables and hewn into the living stone is beyond me.
Frigging cool.
Anyone seen it lately?

You're not much of a thinker are you? Building the dam was a much greater engineering challenge.

vailpass
08-26-2009, 02:39 PM
You're not much of a thinker are you? Building the dam was a much greater engineering challenge.

Don't get out a whole lot do you?

epitome1170
08-26-2009, 02:40 PM
Because I am a complete loser (and structural engineer), I made my wife watch a tv program on the construction of this. The guide wires had to be helicopter'd over the canyon to even begin this construction. The efforts that was put forth in the beginning of the project to set the towers IMO was intense than the remainder of the project. (That is not to say it is easy either though.)

seclark
08-26-2009, 02:41 PM
wish I knew how to make these pics appear larger here...

how fast is the traffic going there vp? i'd have some major road rage building up if i had 2 rigs driving right up my ass like that.
sec

epitome1170
08-26-2009, 02:43 PM

I would definitely disagree with this.

The dam itself is more of a simple cantilever wall that is just held up by brute strength. (Now the geotechnical engineering is impressive such that the whole dam is not undermined by the water.)

The bridge however is far more complicated and intensive... that is not even including the engineer used to construct the bridge.

Silock
It's about time they fixed it from when those damn Transformers messed it up.

Sofa King
wish I knew how to make these appear larger here...

shave it. that always makes it look larger.

ChiefaRoo
08-26-2009, 02:56 PM
I would definitely disagree with this.

The dam itself is more of a simple cantilever wall that is just held up by brute strength. (Now the geotechnical engineering is impressive such that the whole dam is not undermined by the water.)

The bridge however is far more complicated and intensive... that is not even including the engineer used to construct the bridge.

Yeah, the whole diverting the river thing was nothing not to mention the incredible logistics of having to build factories in the desert to supply fresh concrete which had to be mixed perfectly, at the right temperature and be on time so it would properly cure.

epitome1170
08-26-2009, 03:32 PM
Yeah, the whole diverting the river thing was nothing not to mention the incredible logistics of having to build factories in the desert to supply fresh concrete which had to be mixed perfectly, at the right temperature and be on time so it would properly cure.

You do realize that the engineering of putting in rock anchors into a virtually vertical cliff (for the construction towers and for the bridge abutments) is not that easiest thing in the world? How about the erection of the steel towers for the crane in order to even begin construction? Both of those are just the beginning to even get the job started. Not to mention all of the environmental restrictions that are put on the job such that the river does not have any construction debris, falling rocks, or anything else that could be disturbed in the process.

As far as the bridge itself, that is not simple engineering either. A cable stay bridge in combination with a concrete arch requires a tremendous amount of engineering the amount of which most people have no realistic grasp of.

However, after reading your original post, you said the "building the dam" so I could assume that you mean the actual engineering is irrelevant. In that case, I think it is hard to argue one way or another. Our technological advances make it impossible to compare the two. The construction of the bridge would be impossible if it was tried 30-40 years ago.

OnTheWarpath58
08-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Was just there last Thursday.

Won't bother posting pics, as they are pretty much the same as yours.

There was a show on either Discovery, Science Channel or the History Channel that talks about the bridge project.

Jewish Rabbi
08-26-2009, 04:30 PM
You do realize that the engineering of putting in rock anchors into a virtually vertical cliff (for the construction towers and for the bridge abutments) is not that easiest thing in the world? How about the ERECTION of the steel towers for the crane in order to even begin construction? Both of those are just the beginning to even get the job started. Not to mention all of the environmental restrictions that are put on the job such that the river does not have any construction debris, falling rocks, or anything else that could be disturbed in the process.

As far as the bridge itself, that is not simple engineering either. A cable stay bridge in combination with a concrete arch requires a tremendous amount of engineering the amount of which most people have no realistic grasp of.

However, after reading your original post, you said the "building the dam" so I could assume that you mean the actual engineering is irrelevant. In that case, I think it is hard to argue one way or another. Our technological advances make it impossible to compare the two. The construction of the bridge would be impossible if it was tried 30-40 years ago.

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Donger
08-26-2009, 04:35 PM
Driven? No. Flown over? Yes. All I see is Colorado water that I want back.

ChiefaRoo
08-26-2009, 05:06 PM
You do realize that the engineering of putting in rock anchors into a virtually vertical cliff (for the construction towers and for the bridge abutments) is not that easiest thing in the world? How about the erection of the steel towers for the crane in order to even begin construction? Both of those are just the beginning to even get the job started. Not to mention all of the environmental restrictions that are put on the job such that the river does not have any construction debris, falling rocks, or anything else that could be disturbed in the process.

They could have built that bridge 30-40 years ago.

epitome1170
08-26-2009, 05:32 PM
They could have built that bridge 30-40 years ago.

Not with all of the environmental stipulations that the government put on the construction.

Mr_Tomahawk
08-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Damn!

2bikemike
08-26-2009, 06:22 PM
We drove over the Dam a few weeks ago and saw the construction. It was a mistake for us to go that way. It must have took an hour and a half to cross the dam with the security and everything.

It is pretty amazing the way they are building the bridge. They are coming from both sides and will meet in the middle.

Here is the website. If you look on the left of the page there is a link for the web cam. It is interactive.

http://www.hooverdambypass.org/

vailpass
08-26-2009, 06:27 PM
how fast is the traffic going there vp? i'd have some major road rage building up if i had 2 rigs driving right up my ass like that.
sec

:Dbumper to bumper for about 10 miles, not too bad though. Gave us a chance to check out the scenery and the new bridge. Construction halts at 2:00 every day so if you drive in after that you are better off.

vailpass
08-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Because I am a complete loser (and structural engineer), I made my wife watch a tv program on the construction of this. The guide wires had to be helicopter'd over the canyon to even begin this construction. The efforts that was put forth in the beginning of the project to set the towers IMO was intense than the remainder of the project. (That is not to say it is easy either though.)

I'd like to have seen that special. My wife and I were amazed by the sheer scale of the project and wondered how they got the wires in place. Thanks for the info.

vailpass
08-26-2009, 06:30 PM

Extra cool how they ran freezong water through the concrete otherwise it would have taken approx. 100 years for concrete that thick to set up. Then when finished the pipes they used to run the water turned into extra re-bar.

vailpass
08-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Was just there last Thursday.

Won't bother posting pics, as they are pretty much the same as yours.

There was a show on either Discovery, Science Channel or the History Channel that talks about the bridge project.

Did you see the guys working WAY UP ON TOP OF THE ARCH? God that gave me the creeps. Not big on heights is vailpass.

vailpass
08-26-2009, 06:32 PM
We drove over the Dam a few weeks ago and saw the construction. It was a mistake for us to go that way. It must have took an hour and a half to cross the dam with the security and everything.

It is pretty amazing the way they are building the bridge. They are coming from both sides and will meet in the middle.

Here is the website. If you look on the left of the page there is a link for the web cam. It is interactive.

http://www.hooverdambypass.org/

Thanks 2bike, definetely going to check out that site.

Boon
08-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Driven? No. Flown over? Yes. All I see is Colorado water that I want back.

What would you do with it?