PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Broken car help

AustinChief
08-26-2009, 04:11 PM
ok, a friend asked me advice regarding their car that just broke down and I am deferring to the collective wisdom of the planet...

Car was making a knocking noise for the last few months... then this morning the noise got louder and the car started to lose speed on the highway. Frined was able to downshift and regain speed, but eventually the knocking turned to grinding and the car quit alltogether.

Now the car will crank but not turn over to start.

I have a pretty solid idea what is going on but hard to diagnose without hearing it myself.

What say you?

Buck
08-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Sounds like he cracked the head.

That engine is toast.

I should mention that the same thing happened to me...twice...I know a lot about ruining a car's engine.

Buck
08-26-2009, 04:16 PM
Tell them to check the oil. If their is oil in there then my theory is wrong.

stevieray
08-26-2009, 04:19 PM
threw a rod.

AustinChief
08-26-2009, 04:19 PM

That engine is toast.

I should mention that the same thing happened to me...twice...I know a lot about ruining a car's engine.

SHE. And yeah I am thinking thrown rod/cracked head.

mlyonsd
08-26-2009, 04:23 PM
She missed out on cash for clunkers.

JOhn

That engine is toast.

THIS

I to have killed a couple :cuss:

King_Chief_Fan

That engine is toast.

slow learner?

Bwana
Stick a fork in it, it's done............seriously.

SDChiefs
08-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Threw a rod it sounds like. Did it on my old car. Did a plume of smoke come out the tail pipe?

chefsos
08-26-2009, 04:27 PM
She remedied the months of knocking by turning up the radio, didn't she?

stevieray
08-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Rod Thrown.

rockymtnchief
08-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Woman theory on knocking engine: Go faster. Higher RPM's make the knocks closer together and much less noticable.

Buck
08-26-2009, 04:32 PM
slow learner?

Yeah. However the second car had a busted head gasket and it was an 89 Toyota Celica so I wasn't going to pay $1200 to get that fixed. Constant Oil Leaks, and I went like a month without checking the oil and it went out on me.

The first one was a 1996 Saturn SC2 which apparently has a problem burning oil. What can I say? I was 18 and stupid at the time, I never thought about checking oil, or taking care of my car in general.

AustinChief
08-26-2009, 04:36 PM
She remedied the months of knocking by turning up the radio, didn't she?

I do believe so.

AustinChief
08-26-2009, 05:03 PM
Ok... further info I just received. No smoke from car. Oil had been changed at regular intervals. After car died, checked oil and was low but not gone. No apparent leaks.

Car sounds normal when attempting to start but just doesn't start.

I still go with thrown rod... but strange that there was no smoke or oil apparent.

AustinChief
08-26-2009, 05:05 PM
The car is a mid 90's altima. I have all the timing, compression, vacuum, tach tools for a '66 impala. Any diagnostiv advice for me if I go take a look? (not up to date with these new fangled auto-types)

Buehler445
08-26-2009, 05:13 PM
Look at the oil and see if there is water in it.

If it was "knocking" It is metal on metal and she is fooked.
Posted via Mobile Device

CrazyPhuD
08-26-2009, 05:13 PM
Well if you drop the oil pan that should tell you right there. Baring that change the oil...I'm guessing lots of little metal bits. Sounds like the engine is seized. Try to hand crank the engine. If it won't turn you likely have your answer.

MIAdragon
08-26-2009, 06:52 PM
The car is a mid 90's altima. I have all the timing, compression, vacuum, tach tools for a '66 impala. Any diagnostiv advice for me if I go take a look? (not up to date with these new fangled auto-types)

drain the oil, strain it through a coffee strainer, look for copper metallic bits (its better if you cut open the oil filter though) this will tell you if she spun a rod bering.

HemiEd
08-26-2009, 07:07 PM
threw a rod.

This.

It sure sounds like it, been down that road a few times. Usually from abuse on my part.

AustinChief
08-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Update: knocking most likely from broken engine mount

Engine turns over and runs for 3-5 seconds then dies...

New diagnosis- fuel pump or fuel filter... Any other ideas? Ay least the engine isn't seized up.

Getting new info from her bro in law who went and checked it

RustShack
08-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Distributor.

Bwana
08-26-2009, 09:12 PM
When was the last time she got gas? It "could" be water in the gas.

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-26-2009, 09:12 PM
I'd be surprised if that was all it was, what you described in the OP sounds terminal.

Buehler445
08-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Update: knocking most likely from broken engine mount

Engine turns over and runs for 3-5 seconds then dies...

New diagnosis- fuel pump or fuel filter... Any other ideas? Ay least the engine isn't seized up.

Getting new info from her bro in law who went and checked it

:spock:

OK...

If it is the fuel pump, it won't start at all. Shouldn't if it is the filter either.

Get the shit towed though. Having the Engine bounce around like a pinball will tear up EVERYTHING.

AustinChief
08-26-2009, 09:22 PM
I'd be surprised if that was all it was, what you described in the OP sounds terminal.

Yeah. Unfortunately I am going off how she described it.

The fact that the engine turns over and starts is encouraging. Will have bro in law fix mount and test fuel flow. If that isn't the issue, what would you check next.

Buehler445
08-26-2009, 09:25 PM

The fact that the engine turns over and starts is encouraging. Will have bro in law fix mount and test fuel flow. If that isn't the issue, what would you check next.

Any number of things, probably stemming from the vibration. The easiest thing to test would be the ignition by pulling a wire and making sure it sparks (I'd recommend licking your fingers and doing it this way :D). But it could be a damaged vacuum line, knocked the timing loose, etc.

Good luck

MIAdragon
08-26-2009, 09:25 PM

fuel pressure, its getting spark.

KcMizzou
08-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Stick a fork in it, it's done............seriously.Yeah, when you hear knocking you can't just keep driving it. It's not gonna get better... you're just gonna F it up even worse.

KcMizzou
08-26-2009, 09:33 PM
I wouldn't describe a bad mount as "knocking"... but maybe she does. In my experience a bad mount kind makes the whole vehicle shudder a bit.. the block isn't held securely any more, and it'll move when it shouldn't... shaking the car.

"Knocking" to me, is metal against metal, internal. Very bad... and terminal if you drive it till it quits on you.

AustinChief
08-26-2009, 09:38 PM
But it could be a damaged vacuum line, knocked the timing loose, etc.

Good luck

nice.. that is the kind of thing I was looking for...

RustShack
08-26-2009, 09:43 PM
I had a car that would knock a little bit when i accelerated after stop signs... transmission soon went out.

stevieray
08-26-2009, 09:44 PM
even if the timing is slightly off, it should still run... just not very smooth. a broken motor mount would literally shake the whole car until it threw the block into the radiator.

one missing motor mount bolt would be noticeable through vibration.

Buehler445
08-26-2009, 09:55 PM
I had a car that would knock a little bit when i accelerated after stop signs... transmission soon went out.

If it knocked a bit on accelleration, your timing was probably fast. Your transmission was probably just junk.