PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Republican: "(We) are struggling right now to find the great white hope"

jAZ
08-26-2009, 10:48 PM
Has Michael Steele been so bad that he's ruined the GOP for black people forever?

http://cjonline.com/news/state/2009-08-26/jenkins_remark_raises_eyebrows

Jenkins' remark raises eyebrows

By Tim Carpenter
Created August 26, 2009 at 6:50pm

U.S. Rep. Lynn Jenkins offered encouragement to conservatives at a town hall forum that the Republican Party would embrace a "great white hope" capable of thwarting the political agenda endorsed by Democrats who control Congress and President Barack Obama.

Jenkins, a Topeka Republican in her first term in Congress, shared thoughts about the GOP's political future during an Aug. 19 forum at Fisher Community Center in the northeast Kansas community of Hiawatha.

In response to inquiries by The Topeka Capital-Journal, a Jenkins spokeswoman said Wednesday the congresswoman wanted to apologize for her word choice and to emphasize she had no intention of expressing herself in an offensive manner.

Jenkins told people at the Hiawatha forum the nation could benefit from inspired leadership of a group of "really sharp" young Republicans in the House, particularly Rep. Eric Cantor, R-Va. Cantor was mentioned as a possible GOP vice presidential candidate in 2008 and is thought to be interested in seeking the Republican nomination for president in 2012.

"Republicans are struggling right now to find the great white hope," Jenkins said to the crowd. "I suggest to any of you who are concerned about that, who are Republican, there are some great young Republican minds in Washington."

A videotape of the presentation contains footage of Jenkins identifying three members of the U.S. House -- Cantor, Rep. Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., and Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis. -- as future movers and shakers in the GOP. All are white, as is Jenkins.

"So don't, you know, lose faith if you are a conservative," Jenkins said in Hiawatha.

Her comments were in response to a question by an audience member about the prospects of developing a coherent Republican policy blueprint -- perhaps something like the Contract with America released by the GOP during the 1994 election cycle. The compact was credited with broadening support for GOP candidates and producing a Republican majority in the House.

The phrase "great white hope" is frequently tied to racist attitudes permeating the United States when heavyweight boxing champion Jack Johnson fought in the early 1900s. Reaction to the first black man to reign as champion was intense enough to build support for a campaign to find a white fighter capable of reclaiming the title from Johnson.

Kenny Johnston, executive director of the Kansas Democratic Party, said the statement by Jenkins was regrettable at the least.

"The congressman might have avoided this problem if she had stuck to discussing constructive solutions to the health care crisis instead of lamenting the Republican Party's search for a leader," Johnston said.

Mary Geiger, a spokeswoman for Jenkins, said the reference to a great white hope wasn't meant to denote a preference by Jenkins for politicians of a particular "race, creed or any background." Jenkins was expressing faith fellow GOP representatives in the House would be key players in returning Republicans to a leadership role in Washington, Geiger said.

"There may be some misunderstanding there when she talked about the great white hope," Geiger said. "What she meant by it is they have a bright future. They're bright lights within the party."

Democrats widened their numerical grip on the House and Senate in the 2008 elections, which also produced a victory by Obama, the first black elected president.

Geiger released the following statement on Jenkins' behalf: "There's no doubt the Republican Party has gone through some dark and challenging times in recent years, but thankfully bright young leaders have stepped up to lead the party into the future and she hopes to be a part of it. That was the intent of her comments -- nothing more and nothing less. Congresswoman Jenkins apologizes for her choice of words."

Jenkins wasn't available to comment personally on her presentation in Hiawatha, Geiger said.

Geiger said she had never previously heard Jenkins use the phrase "great white hope" in a political speech or private conversation.

SNR
08-27-2009, 12:51 AM
Was this posted for humor's sake? I really doubt she meant to have racist undertones in the great white hope comment. Generally people who are racist don't just say one pseudo-racist thing and then let everything else be.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 01:02 AM
Was this posted for humor's sake? I really doubt she meant to have racist undertones in the great white hope comment. Generally people who are racist don't just say one pseudo-racist thing and then let everything else be.

I don't know her, so I have no clue that she's racist or not. I think it's incredibly bad wording even for someone who's not racist at all. It's gotta frustrate black Republcians to see someone say something like that. It certainly reflects her thought process, which assuming she's not being racist, she is operating under the assumption that the solution to the problem is white.

That's not unreasonable given the makeup of the GOP.

Taco John
08-27-2009, 01:05 AM
Could sombody post the Three Amigos "My Little Buttercup" scene so that we can have something in this thread to talk about that is remotely interesting or amusing?

jAZ
08-27-2009, 01:17 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BYNoQZ5djUA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BYNoQZ5djUA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Taco John
08-27-2009, 01:20 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y_Hn0yM00Fo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y_Hn0yM00Fo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Guru
08-27-2009, 01:32 AM
I don't want Gerry Cooney running for president.

DaneMcCloud
08-27-2009, 02:02 AM
I don't want Gerry Cooney running for president.

I don't want Gerry Cooney running for local dog catcher

googlegoogle
08-27-2009, 03:07 AM
Jaz wishes he could burn the constitution.

***SPRAYER
08-27-2009, 05:56 AM
http://www.moonbattery.com/diversitylane_bully.jpg

patteeu
08-27-2009, 08:04 AM
I don't know her, so I have no clue that she's racist or not.

But that doesn't stop you from playing the race card, of course. Change.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 09:19 AM
But that doesn't stop you from playing the race card, of course. Change.

Pointing out her playing the race card.

patteeu
08-27-2009, 09:28 AM

She didn't play a race card. It's pretty clear to me that she innocently used a cliched phrase without giving much thought to the origin of the phrase. It's equally clear to me that your own motives weren't so innocent.

Donger
08-27-2009, 09:29 AM

Huh? How do you know that?

dirk digler
08-27-2009, 09:41 AM
Politicians are human too and make mistakes. Shocking I know. She apologized and that should be the end of it.

Inspector
08-27-2009, 09:59 AM
She should have said "great polka dotted hope".....

(I happen to support the polka dotted party, BTW)

Dallas Chief
08-27-2009, 10:10 AM
What does Michael Steele have to do with this? I find your comments to be slightly racist in their tone. Are you saying that an African American man is incapable of heading up the GOP?

Jaz- is there no limit to your douchiness?
Posted via Mobile Device

stevieray
08-27-2009, 10:11 AM
I think jaz put his kid in his avy to remind him someone actually had sex with him.

Donger
08-27-2009, 10:19 AM
When I think of the expression, "Great White Hope," race doesn't even enter my thoughts. To me, it's just a way of expressing hope for a champion.

Listening to the words of the woman who said it, it seems pretty clear that is how she views it as well. What a shame that others immediately assume that she was referring to race at all.

Shame on you, jAZ.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 10:38 AM
She didn't play a race card. It's pretty clear to me that she innocently used a cliched phrase without giving much thought to the origin of the phrase. It's equally clear to me that your own motives weren't so innocent.

There is nothing obvious about that. In fact, you'd have to miss the word "white" entirely to consider it not playing the race card. That defies logic.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 10:39 AM
Huh? How do you know that?

She said directly that the hope for the GOP is white.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 10:41 AM
What does Michael Steele have to do with this? I find your comments to be slightly racist in their tone. Are you saying that an African American man is incapable of heading up the GOP?

Jaz- is there no limit to your douchiness?
Posted via Mobile Device

You'd have to ask her if she thinks so. Her comments suggest she feels that way at the moment. Or that only one black person was in position to do it at the moment and he himself is a failure.

But that the hope for the GOP is white in her mind, is in escapable.

Donger
08-27-2009, 10:42 AM
She said directly that the hope for the GOP is white.

And you presume that she was referring specifically to the color of that champions skin.

Again, shame.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 10:42 AM
When I think of the expression, "Great White Hope," race doesn't even enter my thoughts. To me, it's just a way of expressing hope for a champion.

Listening to the words of the woman who said it, it seems pretty clear that is how she views it as well. What a shame that others immediately assume that she was referring to race at all.

Shame on you, jAZ.

Yes, what a shame that 'great white hope' means white is the great hope.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 10:44 AM
And you presume that she was referring specifically to the color of that champions skin.

Again, shame.

Yes, shame that white is the great hope of the GOP in this woman's mind.

Donger
08-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Yes, shame that white is the great hope of the GOP in this woman's mind.

Only if you're a racist:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/great+white+hope

blaise
08-27-2009, 10:48 AM
I don't know her, so I have no clue that she's racist or not. I think it's incredibly bad wording even for someone who's not racist at all. It's gotta frustrate black Republcians to see someone say something like that. It certainly reflects her thought process, which assuming she's not being racist, she is operating under the assumption that the solution to the problem is white.

Ot she's just using a phrase she's heard before without really thinking of it racially.
But continue with your regularly scheduled Racial McCarthyism

jAZ
08-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Only if you're a racist:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/great+white+hope

"bright"... she didn't mean "white"... she meant "bright".

Keep up.

blaise
08-27-2009, 10:51 AM
I like how yesterday jAZ was all willing to offer up an excuse Reverend Wright's comments that he maybe his real meaning was "God judge America" not "God damn America", but here he takes the strict wording of a Republican to cast the entire party in a racist tone.
Racial politics at it's finest.

Donger
08-27-2009, 10:53 AM
"bright"... she didn't mean "white"... she meant "bright".

Keep up.

I provided that because unlike you, not everyone who uses that expression does for racial reasons.

You could have the decency of thanking me for educating you.

blaise
08-27-2009, 10:55 AM
jAZ: Satomayor wasn't trying to be racist, people just took her comments out of context. This lady is racist. I know this because of their poltical beliefs, and so I will continue regurgitating garbage like a good little sheep of the Democratic party.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 11:20 AM
I provided that because unlike you, not everyone who uses that expression does for racial reasons.

You could have the decency of thanking me for educating you.

What anyone else means doesn't matter.

And from her words directly and her staff's clumbsy 6th grade excuse (she said "white" because it's a "bright" color) she clearly didn't mean "great bright hope".

jAZ
08-27-2009, 11:21 AM
jAZ: Satomayor wasn't trying to be racist, people just took her comments out of context. This lady is racist. I know this because of their poltical beliefs, and so I will continue regurgitating garbage like a good little sheep of the Democratic party.

Donger
08-27-2009, 11:22 AM

And from her words directly and her staff's clumbsy 6th grade excuse (she said "white" because it's a "bright" color) she clearly didn't mean "great bright hope".

Yes, jAZ: we get it. You're a racist. There really isn't any need for additional confirmation of that from you.

Taco John
08-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Really jAZ? You think that she was introducing race into the dialogue? Seriously?

I just can't believe that. I can't believe that you believe that.

blaise
08-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Yes, jAZ, you're disingenuous concern for the black republicans surely cancels out any notion that you posted this story in order to paint the Republican party as racist and keep the Racial McCarthyism alive and kicking.
Give me a break. Eddie Haskell thinks your post was transparent.
"Golly gee, Mrs Cleaver! I hope she wasn't being racist. I mean, maybe she wasn't, but golly gee look at this story. We better check it out."
And I mean, clearly you indicated she wasn't being racist, just that she thinks the solution to the problem lies in the racial makeup of the next big thing.
At least stop being a disingenuous fraud.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Really jAZ? You think that she was introducing race into the dialogue? Seriously?

I just can't believe that. I can't believe that you believe that.

I assume she's not a racist. I assume she wasn't trying to inject racism into the town hall.

I suspect she definately used "great white hope" both carelessly and literally.

Sorta like Obama's police acted "stupidly" reference in the Gates arrest issue.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Yes, jAZ: we get it. You're a racist. There really isn't any need for additional confirmation of that from you.

Swell.

blaise
08-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Swell.

jAZ isn't racist! He votes Democrat. That's all the affirmation he needs.
Republicans= racist. Democrats= not racist.
Fingers in ears, lalalal lalala jAZ can't hear you!

jAZ
08-27-2009, 12:13 PM
jAZ isn't racist! He votes Democrat. That's all the affirmation he needs.
Republicans= racist. Democrats= not racist.
Fingers in ears, lalalal lalala jAZ can't hear you!

It's swee to watch people make up the arguements they want to debate when they are unable to debate the arguemnts before them.

Donger
08-27-2009, 12:14 PM
I assume she's not a racist. I assume she wasn't trying to inject racism into the town hall.

Then why did you write this?

"she is operating under the assumption that the solution to the problem is white."

blaise
08-27-2009, 12:15 PM
It's swee to watch people make up the arguements they want to debate when they are unable to debate the arguemnts before them.

It's even sweeter to watch someone so devoted to his cause he'll make any attempt to paint the other side as racist in order to further his cause.

Donger
08-27-2009, 12:15 PM

I've given you a complete and reasonable explanation regarding her using that expression, one that has nothing to do with race. For some reason, you are choosing not to accept it.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 12:16 PM
Then why did you write this?

"she is operating under the assumption that the solution to the problem is white."

Because I suspect "she is operating under the assumption that the solution to the problem is white".

Donger
08-27-2009, 12:17 PM
Because I suspect "she is operating under the assumption that the solution to the problem is white".

So you suspect that she is racist?

blaise

Of course you would. Because you like playing racial politics.

Taco John

I don't think that you're as smart as you'd like to believe if you seriously believe that she used "great white hope" literally. I have a hard time accepting that you're serious about this. I typically have more faith in your ability to reason.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 12:21 PM
I've given you a complete and reasonable explanation regarding her using that expression, one that has nothing to do with race. For some reason, you are choosing not to accept it.

Since her staff refused to offer up that reasonable explaination and instead tried to convince people that she meant "white" as in "bright" color, suggests that they don't have any reasonable alternative explanation. Just 6th grade spin.

Occam's Razor suggests that she was speaking literally if poorly and that she wasn't even thinking about a possible black hope from the GOP, because that's not part of the makeup of the GOP these days.

That's not a racist thought on her part. It's unfortunate reality of the near total absence of diversity of thought and perspectives that exist in the modern GOP.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 12:22 PM

Nope.

Taco John
08-27-2009, 12:24 PM
Occam's razor suggests she was just using a popular idiom without any racial meaning attached to it whatsoever, you great white dope.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 12:24 PM

To be clear...

That's not a racist thought on her part. It's unfortunate reality of the near total absence of diversity of thought and perspectives that exist in the modern GOP.

Donger
08-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Since her staff refused to offer up that reasonable explaination and instead tried to convince people that she meant "white" as in "bright" color, suggests that they don't have any reasonable alternative explanation. Just 6th grade spin.

Occam's Razor suggests that she was speaking literally if poorly and that she wasn't even thinking about a possible black hope from the GOP, because that's not part of the makeup of the GOP these days.

because it's "bright" suggests that they didn't hold your suggested option

I don't care what her staff said. I care what she said. Her staff had to explain because some people, like yourself, weren't aware that the expression has nothing to do with race.

I've offered you a definition of the expression that has nothing to do with race. For whatever reason, you seem to reject it.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Occam's razor suggests she was just using a popular idiom without any racial tones whatsoever, you great white dope.

Occam's razor suggests that she was using a popular idiom that is overloaded with racial overtones.

Taco John
08-27-2009, 12:26 PM
Occam's razor suggests that she was using a popular idiom that is overloaded with racial overtones.

Well, duh.

jAZ
I don't care what her staff said. I care what she said. Her staff had to explain because some people, like yourself, weren't aware that the expression has nothing to do with race.

I've offered you a definition of the expression that has nothing to do with race. For whatever reason, you seem to reject it.

You care what she said and what someone other than her staff has said in the past. You want to ignore what her staff said because it adds directly relevant context. And in this case, context is damaging to your case.

Donger
Nope.

If her solution to the "problem" must be a white person, that doesn't make her racist?

trndobrd
08-27-2009, 12:27 PM

I do. She is not.

Let me offer an alternate inference of what she said, rather jAZ's HuffPo plucked, TPM fueled 'concern' for black Republicans....

It's quite possible that she meant that many Republicans are expecting some sort of champion to come down from on high and stop the big government agenda of the Obama administration. The phrase 'great white hope' carries with it an implication that such a search will end in futility, and instead Republicans should be looking at up and coming House members.

Given the actual state of the Republican party (as opposed to jAZ's suggestion that "she is operating under the assumption that the solution to the problem is white") some seem to be expecting the ghost of Ronald Reagan to suddenly appear...it seems a much more likely interpretation.

jAZ
Well, duh.

You stand corrected.

Donger
You care what she said and what someone other than her staff has said in the past. You want to ignore what her staff said because it adds directly relevant context. And in this case, context is damaging to your case.

Have you even considered the possibility that she is so non-racist that race didn't even enter her mind when she said that?

jAZ
08-27-2009, 12:28 PM
If her solution to the "problem" must be a white person, that doesn't make her racist?

No, it makes her choices limited.

Donger
08-27-2009, 12:29 PM
No, it makes her choices limited.

I suppose we can add 'coward' to your list of gifts.

Taco John
08-27-2009, 12:29 PM
You stand corrected.

**** if I do.

Let's see what happens if your wife blurts out a popular idiom that could be interpreted as racist - but not intended to have a single ounce of racial overtone. And then let's see what happens when some two-bit politi-bigot starts charging her with racism. How are you going to feel about that?

What a douche you are.

blaise
08-27-2009, 12:33 PM
You have to understand something- jAZ doesn't care that she's racist or not. He doesn't care that what she meant had anything to do with race. His goal is nothing more than to seize an opportunity where it can be perceived that a comment could be a racial one and use it to cast Republicans as racist as a whole. There's no integrity at all. It's nothing more than opportunistic racial mudslinging without any real concern for truth in it.

Donger
08-27-2009, 12:34 PM
You have to understand something- jAZ doesn't care that she's racist or not. He doesn't care that what she meant had anything to do with race. His goal is nothing more than to seize an opportunity where it can be perceived that a comment could be a racial one and use it to cast Republicans as racist as a whole. There's no integrity at all. It's nothing more than opportunistic racial mudslinging without any real concern for truth in it.

Wait, are you suggesting that jAZ will "say anything to win"?

jAZ
08-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Have you even considered the possibility that she is so non-racist that race didn't even enter her mind when she said that?

Yes, as I said, I assume she's non-racist but exists in such homogenously white environment that she doesn't even consider that hope might not be white. That's just the options that surround her.

Taco John
08-27-2009, 12:36 PM
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x234/ctbob/douche.jpg

blaise
08-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Wait, are you suggesting that jAZ will "say anything to win"?

Not so much- it's more that he'll repeat what he's supposed to repeat. There's no real substance to it, so I don't know if you could accurately say jAZ is saying it; more of pathetic mouthpiece type thing.
For instance, I could teach a parrot to speak the words "Republicans are racist" but at the end of the day the thought isn't the parrot's own, but rather an idea someone put in it's head.

mlyonsd
08-27-2009, 12:37 PM
I must say. This thread rocks.

Donger
08-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Yes, as I said, I assume she's non-racist but exists in such homogenously white environment that she doesn't even consider that hope might not be white. That's just the options that surround her.

Again, you are presuming that she was referring to the "white" part of "great white hope" as a reference to the color of that champion's skin.

blaise
08-27-2009, 12:38 PM

Translate: I posted this story to cast all Republicans as racists.

trndobrd
08-27-2009, 12:39 PM

It is certainly easier for jAZ to cry racism, or indulge in paranoid assasination delusions, than it would be to explain double digit unemployment numbers and a couple trillion dollar miscalculation on the national debt.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 12:45 PM
I suppose we can add 'coward' to your list of gifts.

Or 'correct'.

Race is complex dynamic. A one doesn't have to have racist intentions to make a comment that is absolutely racial in nature. It's analogous to nature vs nurture.

If you exist in an homogenous environment you can easily lose all bearings when it comes to language like this. That homogenous environment and the ignorance that results that is the root cause of the problem.

Her motivations can be entirely honest and pure. I assume that's the case.

She deserves that assumption.

But that doesn't mean that there is nothing in the background that contributed to her not seeing immediately the literal meaning of her mis-chosen phrase.

You shoudlnt' be judged a racist because you come from a homogenous background. But it shouldn't be assume that that homogenous background is ok because the person inadvertantly reflected it without a racist motive.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 12:46 PM
Again, you are presuming that she was referring to the "white" part of "great white hope" as a reference to the color of that champion's skin.

Yes, in context that's a resonable assumption.

Donger
08-27-2009, 12:46 PM
Yes, in context that's a resonable assumption.

Only if you're a racist.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 12:47 PM
It is certainly easier for jAZ to cry racism, or indulge in paranoid assasination delusions, than it would be to explain double digit unemployment numbers and a couple trillion dollar miscalculation on the national debt.

It certainly is easier to attempt to take a complex issue and distill it down to a debate over whether this woman was racist or jAZ is for talking about it.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Only if you're a racist.

See?

blaise
08-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Or 'correct'.

Race is complex dynamic. A one doesn't have to have racist intentions to make a comment that is absolutely racial in nature. It's analogous to nature vs nurture.

If you exist in an homogenous environment you can easily lose all bearings when it comes to language like this. That homogenous environment and the ignorance that results that is the root cause of the problem.

But that doesn't mean that there is nothing in the background that contributed to her not seeing immediately the literal meaning of her mis-chosen phrase.

You shoudlnt' be judged a racist because you come from a homogenous background. But it shouldn't be assume that that homogenous background is ok because the person inadvertantly reflected it without a racist motive.

Yet, you're willing to cast her and the Republican party in a racist light based on what could be a completely innocent comment. You're assuming she literally meant a white person, when you don't know that's true, and you're doing so to satisfy your desire to paint a group of people as racists.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 12:51 PM
Yet, you're willing to cast her and the Republican party in a racist light based on what could be a completely innocent comment. You're assuming she literally meant a white person, when you don't know that's true, and you're doing so to satisfy your desire to paint a group of people as racists.

I've said repeatedly I assume she's not racist. You don't like that information and discard it. What can I do with someone who ignores facts like you?

Donger
08-27-2009, 12:53 PM
So, boiling jAZ' flailing around to a singular point is this: this woman is not racist. She's just around so many white people that she can only view a champion as a white person.

Is that accurate, jAZ?

She's so white and around so many other whites that she can't possible think in any other way?

blaise
08-27-2009, 12:54 PM
I've said repeatedly I assume she's not racist. You don't like that information and discard it. What can I do with someone who ignores facts like you?

Because it's disingenuous. You keep saying she's not racist, but then out the other side of your mouth you're saying she literally means the Republican party needs a white person, and that the phrase she used literally refers to race.

blaise
08-27-2009, 12:58 PM
It's Racial McCarthyism. Just as McCarthy tried to use any information or speech by any of his perceived enemies to cast them as communists and silence their opinions, there's a group of people in this country who seek any opportunity to find any possibly racist remarks by their enemies and use them to silence them.
That's exactly what jAZ is trying to do. It's transparent. It's pathetic.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 12:59 PM
You're assuming she literally meant a white person, when you don't know that's true, and you're doing so to satisfy your desire to paint a group of people as racists.

I assume that because the context suggests that. It assume she couldn't have meant that without any justification would be to ignore reality entirely.

Then to add her staff's pathetic 6th grade spin that she meant "white" as in a "bright" color. Even they didn't offer up Donger's excuse.

Suggests that she made a mistake, but not that she's racist.

blaise
08-27-2009, 01:01 PM
I assume that because the context suggests that. It assume she couldn't have meant that without any justification would be to ignore reality entirely.

Then to add her staff's pathetic 6th grade spin that she meant "white" as in a "bright" color. Even they didn't offer up Donger's excuse.

Suggests that she made a mistake, but not that she's racist.

Or she's just heard that phrase used before, never really knew the context of it, and thought it simply meant the next big thing.
But I think you know that, and you just don't care because apparently you have no integrity at all beyond Democrat vs. Republican.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 01:03 PM
So, boiling jAZ' flailing around to a singular point is this: this woman is not racist. She's just around so many white people that she can only view a champion as a white person.

Is that accurate, jAZ?

She's so white and around so many other whites that she can't possible think in any other way?

No, I assume she's not racist, but her party is so overwhelmingly white in it's voters and leaders, that it's natural (not racist) to assume that the next great hope is white and not consider the potential that it's black.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 01:06 PM
Or she's just heard that phrase used before, never really knew the context of it, and thought it simply meant the next big thing.
Exactly as I said...

Donger
08-27-2009, 01:06 PM
No, I assume she's not racist, but her party is so overwhelmingly white in it's voters and leaders, that it's natural (not racist) to assume that the next great hope is white and not consider the potential that it's black.

Or, race didn't even enter her mind when she said "great white hope."

How strange that you won't afford her that possibility.

blaise
08-27-2009, 01:07 PM
I bet the only thing keeping jAZ from saying she's racist is that he defended a Democrat somewhere here for a similar slip in language and he's afraid someone will link it. So he's doing some BS song and dance around it.

blaise
08-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Exactly as I said...

So what you're saying is that even though her motives were not at all based on race you created a thread which seems to imply that she and her party are racist.

Donger
08-27-2009, 01:08 PM
I bet the only thing keeping jAZ from saying she's racist is that he defended a Democrat somewhere here for a similar slip in language and he's afraid someone will link it. So he's doing some BS song and dance around it.

No, he's just a coward.

Donger
08-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Can someone find some information on the percentage of white members of both the GOP and the DNC?

jAZ
08-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Or, race didn't even enter her mind when she said "great white hope."

How strange that you won't afford her that possibility.

It's possible, but when your staff offers a pathetic cover like they did, it suggests that the truth needs to be covered. Had they said "bad choice of words, she didn't know the history of the term she was using"... she'd have a more credible case that her statement was innocuous.

If the truth needs to be covered, there's really only one interpretation that makes sense. That she meant it racially. But even racially doesn't mean racistly.

Duck Dog
08-27-2009, 01:18 PM
What is there to apologize for?

jAZ
08-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Can someone find some information on the percentage of white members of both the GOP and the DNC?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11/04/exit.polls/

Blacks, 96 percent Obama to 3 percent McCain

Donger
08-27-2009, 01:21 PM
It's possible, but when your staff offers a pathetic cover like they did, it suggests that the truth needs to be covered. Had they said "bad choice of words, she didn't know the history of the term she was using"... she'd have a more credible case that her statement was innocuous.

If the truth needs to be covered, there's really only one interpretation that makes sense. That she meant it racially. But even racially doesn't mean racistly.

You made the correlation between "white" and "bright," jAZ. Not them. The explanation given by her staff was confirmation that she was talking about future, bright leaders of the GOP. "Bright" in this instance meaning "intelligent." Not so white they shine.

But, you know this.

Donger
08-27-2009, 01:22 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11/04/exit.polls/

Blacks, 96 percent Obama to 3 percent McCain

That's not what I asked for, but thanks for pointing out the homogeneous nature of Blacks.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 01:25 PM
That's not what I asked for, but thanks for pointing out the homogeneous nature of Blacks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas's_2nd_congressional_district

Kansas's 2nd congressional district

[...]

Ethnicity 89.0% White

Donger
08-27-2009, 01:28 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas's_2nd_congressional_district

Kansas's 2nd congressional district

[...]

Ethnicity 89.0% White

Wow. That's stunning. Lily white. Crazy.

Now, who represented that district before Rep. Jenkins?

Reaper16
08-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Many of you guys are just like jAZ. Just like him. You all literally hate yourselves and you don't realize it.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Wow. That's stunning. Lily white. Crazy.

Now, who represented that district before Rep. Jenkins?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3f/Nancy_Boyda%2C_official_110th_Congress_photo_portrait.jpg/160px-Nancy_Boyda%2C_official_110th_Congress_photo_portrait.jpg
and
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f7/Jimryun.jpg/160px-Jimryun.jpg
and
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d5/Sam_Brownback_official_portrait_3.jpg/225px-Sam_Brownback_official_portrait_3.jpg

jAZ
08-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Many of you guys are just like jAZ. Just like him. You all literally hate yourselves and you don't realize it.

I'm not sure that applies to anyone here.

Donger
08-27-2009, 01:39 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3f/Nancy_Boyda%2C_official_110th_Congress_photo_portrait.jpg/160px-Nancy_Boyda%2C_official_110th_Congress_photo_portrait.jpg
and
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f7/Jimryun.jpg/160px-Jimryun.jpg
and
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d5/Sam_Brownback_official_portrait_3.jpg/225px-Sam_Brownback_official_portrait_3.jpg

Any Democrats in there? While you're at it, how about you find a similar Black district and see how many White folks they elected.

blaise
08-27-2009, 01:42 PM

I mostly hate tough, baked on stains on my pots and pans. That's why I recommend Dawn detergent.

Reaper16
08-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Yes it does. You post a ton of dumb shit and nearly everyone of your posts carries an implication of blanket generalization. You have your certain issues that you're hung-up on for whatever reason.

But you're not alone in that description. Basically every poster that has the Pavolvian response to attack you is, in fact, just like you in posting style.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Yes it does. You post a ton of dumb shit and nearly everyone of your posts carries an implication of blanket generalization. You have your certain issues that you're hung-up on for whatever reason.

But you're not alone in that description. Basically every poster that has the Pavolvian response to attack you is, in fact, just like you in posting style.

Acutally I try to play in the neuances that no one like to deal with because they have a hard time fighting battles in subtle details.

This thread is a perfect example.

I'm trying to discuss the role of a lack of diversity in someone being tone def about a racially loaded term and how someone who lives in an environment with cultural diversity wouldn't likely use such a racially loaded phrase.

But how such thinking isn't necessarily racist nature at all, but homogenous nuture.

That's not a generalization that Repubilcans are racists, it's that homogenous communities have an inherent misunderstanding and acceptance that comes from a more heterogenous community.

Dallas Chief
08-27-2009, 02:11 PM
and
and

Cool! Jim Ryun. Boyhood hero of mine!:clap:

2bikemike
08-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Come on lets not be so dumb here. We all should know by now:

"Wise Latina" remark = Non Racial misunderstaning taken out of context= Demorcrat

"Great White Hope" = Racist biggot never mind what she really intended= Republican.

Donger
08-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Acutally I try to play in the neuances that no one like to deal with because they have a hard time fighting battles in subtle details.

I'm trying to discuss the role of a lack of diversity in someone being tone def about a racially loaded term and how someone who lives in an environment with cultural diversity wouldn't likely use such a racially loaded phrase.

But how such thinking isn't necessarily racist nature at all, but homogenous nuture.

That's not a generalization that Repubilcans are racists, it's that homogenous communities have an inherent misunderstanding and acceptance that comes from a more heterogenous community.

It isn't a racially loaded term, jAZ. That's where you've utterly failed.

blaise
08-27-2009, 02:16 PM

That wasn't the intent of you posting this thread. You're full of horseshit.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Any Democrats in there? While you're at it, how about you find a similar Black district and see how many White folks they elected.

The first is a Dem. If you take umbrage at Jenkins' effort to attribute "great white hope" to Republicans, you are welcome to.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 02:19 PM
Come on lets not be so dumb here. We all should know by now:

"Wise Latina" remark = Non Racial misunderstaning taken out of context= Demorcrat

"Great White Hope" = Racist biggot never mind what she really intended= Republican.

If you keep both quotes in context, it doesn't work out well for the GOP.

Donger
08-27-2009, 02:20 PM
The first is a Dem. If you take umbrage at Jenkins' effort to attribute "great white hope" to Republicans, you are welcome to.

Well, it wouldn't make much sense for her to find a champion and future bright leader for the DNC, now would it?

jAZ
08-27-2009, 02:20 PM
It isn't a racially loaded term, jAZ. That's where you've utterly failed.

That you can't even admit that it's a racially loaded term demonstrates everything that needs to be about your role in this discussion.

Donger
08-27-2009, 02:21 PM
That you can't even admit that it's a racially loaded term demonstrates everything that needs to be about your role in this discussion.

Do I need to quote the definition again?

trndobrd
08-27-2009, 02:22 PM
It certainly is easier to attempt to take a complex issue and distill it down to a debate over whether this woman was racist or jAZ is for talking about it.

Since you chose to ignore my other post as to the meaning behind the statement, we are left to surmise that there really isn't "a complex issue" merely more TPM 'gotcha' style politics.

All flash, no substance. Sounds familar.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 02:22 PM
Well, it wouldn't make much sense for her to find a champion and future bright leader for the DNC, now would it?

She certainly wasn't thinking about the Democratic Party at all.

blaise
08-27-2009, 02:23 PM
She certainly wasn't thinking about the Democratic Party at all.

No, but that's all you are thinking about. Helping them by peddling racial politics.

Pitt Gorilla
08-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Only if you're a racist:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/great+white+hopeDidn't the term originate with a racial connotation? It would seem that the etymology of the term would be pretty important in its broader interpretation.

For that matter, how many internet references do you need to check to find one that doesn't elude to a racial connection? Is it fair to say many of them will mention James Jeffries?

Donger
08-27-2009, 02:27 PM
No, but that's all you are thinking about. Helping them by peddling racial politics.

I think jAZ has a lot of guilt, honestly. He's white and he has some really racist, white, Democrat relatives. So, in a typically feeble attempt to redeem himself through others, he posts crap like this.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Sorry, I did miss this.

It's quite possible that she meant that many Republicans are expecting some sort of champion to come down from on high and stop the big government agenda of the Obama administration. The phrase 'great white hope' carries with it an implication that such a search will end in futility, and instead Republicans should be looking at up and coming House members.

Given the actual state of the Republican party (as opposed to jAZ's suggestion that "she is operating under the assumption that the solution to the problem is white") some seem to be expecting the ghost of Ronald Reagan to suddenly appear...it seems a much more likely interpretation.

She points to Cantor and several others as examples of the great white hope.

Donger
08-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Didn't the term originate with a racial connotation? It would seem that the etymology of the term would be pretty important in its broader interpretation.

For that matter, how many internet references do you need to check to find one that doesn't elude to a racial connection? Is it fair to say many of them will mention James Jeffries?

I believe the expression came into being via a play or something. A boxing story. But, I could be wrong.

It has clearly morphed into something beyond that, however.

Sort of like how the Demcrats once supported slavery.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Do I need to quote the definition again?

Sorry, but you don't get to cherry pick one usage as "the" definition.

Pitt Gorilla
08-27-2009, 02:37 PM
I believe the expression came into being via a play or something. A boxing story. But, I could be wrong.

It has clearly morphed into something beyond that, however.

Sort of like how the Demcrats once supported slavery.You suggest that it has "clearly" morphed. Can you support that with something beyond your Free Dictionary link? What does Wikipedia etc. say about the term?

blaise
08-27-2009, 02:40 PM
You suggest that it has "clearly" morphed. Can you support that with something beyond your Free Dictionary link?

Whether or not is has is irrelevant because you don't know what she thought it meant when she said it, and so you don't know her intent. You don't know if she knew it had any racial undertones at all. And simply being ignorant to that fact doesn't mean she's oblivious to the cares or concerns of minorities either. It's not a commonly used expression. Yet, you choose to infer that her saying it indicates a gross ingnorance of the concerns of minorities. If she were a Democrat, however, you'd be excusing her to no end. That's because you're a hypocritical shill.

Donger
08-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Sorry, but you don't get to cherry pick one usage as "the" definition.

Oh look! Another one!

Idioms & Phrases

great white hope

Something or someone that is expected to succeed.

Donger
08-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Weird, another!

n.

1. Someone, especially a beginning competitor, whom supporters hope will achieve great success.
2. A white prizefighter believed by fans to have a chance of defeating a Black champion.

Donger
08-27-2009, 02:42 PM
This is crazy. It must be a conspiracy. These people must not know that the term is "racially loaded."

• GREAT WHITE HOPE (noun)

Sense 1 great white hope [BACK TO TOP]

Meaning:

Someone (or something) expected to achieve great success in a given field

Classified under:

Nouns denoting people

Synonyms:

great white hope; white hope

Context example:

this company is the great white hope of the nuclear industry's waste management policy

Hypernyms ("great white hope" is a kind of...):

hope (someone (or something) on which expectations are centered)

Pitt Gorilla
08-27-2009, 02:45 PM
Whether or not is has is irrelevant because you don't know what she thought it meant when she said it, and so you don't know her intent. You don't know if she knew it had any racial undertones at all. And simply being ignorant to that fact doesn't mean she's oblivious to the cares or concerns of minorities either. It's not a commonly used expression. Yet, you choose to infer that her saying it indicates a gross ingnorance of the concerns of minorities. If she were a Democrat, however, you'd be excusing her to no end. That's because you're a hypocritical shill.You're a liar. Where did I "choose to infer that her saying it indicates a gross ingnorance of the concerns of minorities?" Also, I can't imagine "party" having anything to do with the etymology of a word. Could you explain that one (preferably without lying)?

blaise
08-27-2009, 02:45 PM
You're a liar. Where did I "choose to infer that her saying it indicates a gross ingnorance of the concerns of minorities?" Also, I can't imagine "party" having anything to do with the etymology of a word. Could you explain that one (preferably without lying)?

I was speaking to jAZ. Sorry, I thought I had quoted him.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 02:46 PM

Wow, maybe you are just ignorant.

It's a phrase is used to describe the hopes of whites that a white boxer will defeat the black champion.

It originated when the first "negro" heavyweight boxer, Jack Johnson, was so dominant and such a big sports celebrity that white community became resentful and searched for their "great white hope".

It's LOADED with racism.

Pitt Gorilla
08-27-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm speaking to jAZ.You were speaking to jaZ by quoting my post? I can't imagine how I "misinterpreted" that.

Donger
08-27-2009, 02:47 PM
You suggest that it has "clearly" morphed. Can you support that with something beyond your Free Dictionary link? What does Wikipedia etc. say about the term?

Something about a Styx song. Why do you ask?

jAZ
08-27-2009, 02:47 PM
Weird, another!

n.

1. Someone, especially a beginning competitor, whom supporters hope will achieve great success.
2. A white prizefighter believed by fans to have a chance of defeating a Black champion.

Hey, look there's that other one you have tried to ignore!

Donger
08-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Wow, maybe you are just ignorant.

It's a phrase is used to describe the hopes of whites that a white boxer will defeat the black champion.

It originated when the first "negro" heavyweight boxer, Jack Johnson, was so dominant and such a big sports celebrity that white community became resentful and searched for their "great white hope".

It's LOADED with racism.

Was, perhaps. Now? Not so much, if at all.

Donger
08-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Hey, look there's that other one you have tried to ignore!

ANd which do you think Rep. Jenkins meant?

Dallas Chief
08-27-2009, 02:49 PM

Hyperbolic Douchiness abounds!

A community is not defined by political party affiliation. Maybe in your lefty world view where politics is a religion it does, but the rest of us live in reality. You know the life where you work hard, pay your bills, live and let live. (That whole American thing.) We live and we work and we socialize amongst one another. Just because people are separated by political differences doesn't mean that they are seprarated that way in every facet of their lives. Where is written anyway that you have to go live amongst a different group to understand and accept them? It's not. It's that kind of thought that really divides people. "Ohh they live so much differently than we do, I must go and try to understand them so I can finally accept them and that way we can all recognize that we are different, but the same."

So are you making up this spooge as you go along, or did you pull that last stinker from a Sociology book and not credit it properly? I read those books in school too. They went in the garbage as soon as I graduated.

It boils down to this. The African American community doesn't like what the Republican Party is selling, as evidenced in the past three General Elections. It's not a color thing, it's an issue thing. Plain and simple. Your notions of homogenous and heterogenous communities and the rest of that blah blah are garbage talking points.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Whether or not is has is irrelevant because you don't know what she thought it meant when she said it, and so you don't know her intent. You don't know if she knew it had any racial undertones at all.

Wait, I (admittedly) don't know whats he thought it meant. Does that same hold for you guys? Or just me?

blaise
08-27-2009, 02:51 PM
You were speaking to jaZ by quoting my post? I can't imagine how I "misinterpreted" that.

Hey, I went back and said I was sorry. I read the quote. I thought jAZ had wrote it, and I responded based on the context of the thread. I can see how you misinterpreted my response, I would have done the same. Again, I apologize.
I still think the racial aspect of "great white hope" is largely irrelevant though unless anyone can somehow claim they know she understood it's meaning.

Pitt Gorilla
08-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Hey, I went back and said I was sorry. I read the quote. I thought jAZ had wrote it, and I responded based on the context of the thread. I can see how you misinterpreted my response, I would have done the same. Again, I apologize.
I still think the racial aspect of "great white hope" is largely irrelevant though unless anyone can somehow claim they know she understood it's meaning.I agree that nobody but her knows what she actually meant at that moment.

Donger
08-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Anyway, this whole discussion wouldn't be complete without the charming words of that reformed racist and Grand Ole Wizard of the Democrats, Senator Robert Byrd:

During an interview when he was asked about race relations, no less:

"They're much, much better than they've ever been in my lifetime... I think we talk about race too much. I think those problems are largely behind us... I just think we talk so much about it that we help to create somewhat of an illusion. I think we try to have good will. My old mom told me, 'Robert, you can't go to heaven if you hate anybody.' We practice that. There are white niggers. I've seen a lot of white niggers in my time, if you want to use that word. We just need to work together to make our country a better country, and I'd just as soon quit talking about it so much."

jAZ
08-27-2009, 02:56 PM
ANd which do you think Rep. Jenkins meant?

I think she expects that the great hope for the GOP will have white skin and never considered the option of a black skinned hope, not because she hates black people but because she operates in a political environment that doesn't have many blacks around. If she operated in a more mixed race environment, she wouldn't likely have ever event thought to use such a racially loaded phrase. It wouldn't make any sense in a heterogenous environment like it does in a homogeneous environment.

blaise
08-27-2009, 02:56 PM
Wait, I (admittedly) don't know whats he thought it meant. Does that same hold for you guys? Or just me?

I think it's possible she said it in the same way you might hear a person use the term "gyp". Like "don't gyp me". I think a lot of people wouldn't realize it came from the word gypsy. It doesn't make them racist, it doesn't mean they're exclusionary, it doesn't mean they don't have concerns for other cultures or ethnic groups. I think someone could say "great white hope" without knowing any racial aspect about it. I'm guessing she's not a boxing historian. The last time I heard that even used in relation to a boxer was Gerry Cooney and that's almost 30 years ago.

blaise
08-27-2009, 02:58 PM
I think she expects that the great hope for the GOP will have white skin and never considered the option of a black skinned hope, not because she hates black people but because she operates in a political environment that doesn't have many blacks around. If she operated in a more mixed race environment, she wouldn't likely have ever event thought to use such a racially loaded phrase. It wouldn't make any sense in a heterogenous environment like it does in a homogeneous environment.

I disagree. I don't think she meant that at all.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Anyway, this whole discussion wouldn't be complete without the charming words of that reformed racist and Grand Ole Wizard of the Democrats, Senator Robert Byrd:

During an interview when he was asked about race relations, no less:

"They're much, much better than they've ever been in my lifetime... I think we talk about race too much. I think those problems are largely behind us... I just think we talk so much about it that we help to create somewhat of an illusion. I think we try to have good will. My old mom told me, 'Robert, you can't go to heaven if you hate anybody.' We practice that. There are white ****ers. I've seen a lot of white ****ers in my time, if you want to use that word. We just need to work together to make our country a better country, and I'd just as soon quit talking about it so much."

1) You should really release your partisan outrage at Jenkins for her framing this entire discussion around Repubilcans. That's not fair, because...

2) My comments apply as much or more to guys like Byrd who not only grew up in a homogenous environment, but also a certainly racist one.

Donger
08-27-2009, 02:59 PM

Or, more likely, she just used it because of this definition:

Has this woman ever said anything remotely racist?

Donger
08-27-2009, 03:03 PM
I disagree. I don't think she meant that at all.

I don't think that jAZ was ever taught the lesson that wanting something to be a certain way doesn't make it so.

2bikemike
08-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Something about a Styx song. Why do you ask?

Come on Donger you can't be serious those guys are practically Klan members. They probably even hang out on the Great White Way occasionally.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 03:13 PM
I think it's possible she said it in the same way you might hear a person use the term "gyp". Like "don't gyp me". I think a lot of people wouldn't realize it came from the word gypsy. It doesn't make them racist, it doesn't mean they're exclusionary, it doesn't mean they don't have concerns for other cultures or ethnic groups. I think someone could say "great white hope" without knowing any racial aspect about it. I'm guessing she's not a boxing historian. The last time I heard that even used in relation to a boxer was Gerry Cooney and that's almost 30 years ago.

Gyp is a good analogy. And your remark about Cooney makes a very good addition.

Here's what I think it at play.

1) I remember using the phrase gyp when I was a kid, but to this moment had no idea that it was gypsy related. In that context, it's clearly a racist phrase even if when I use it in a totally non-racist way.

2) I'm MUCH more familar with the phrase "great white hope" because it's used in boxing throught history and even recently. In particular Tommy Morrison (pre-AIDS and pre-Tommy Gunn era) was the "great white hope". It's also used in the context of movies like Rocky and a recent movie "Great White Hype".

That translates into to things for me:

1) If you know the origin of the term, it's takes on a wholey different tone when it's used than if you have no idea of it's origin and just hear it as a phrase.

2) If you use Gyp in reference to a gypsy, or in this case use "great white hope" in reference to beating a black President. It takes on even a wholey different tone than if you were to use them in reference to someone else.

Donger
08-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Hold on. How on Earth using the term "gyp" racist?

Reaper16
08-27-2009, 03:18 PM
Hold on. How on Earth using the term "gyp" racist?
Because gypsies, aka Roma, are an actual ethnic group.

Donger
08-27-2009, 03:19 PM
Because gypsies, aka Roma, are an actual ethnic group.

Hmmm. In England, gypsies were just folk who cruised around in caravans (RV-type things).

jAZ
08-27-2009, 03:21 PM
Hmmm. In England, gypsies were just folk who cruised around in caravans (RV-type things).

Holy shit, you are ignorant.

Donger
08-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Holy shit, you are ignorant.

Because I didn't know the etymology of gypsy?

jAZ
08-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Because I didn't know the etymology of gypsy?

No because you are from Europe and had no idea that a Gypsy wasn't some group of people driving around in RVs, but was in fact a race of people that like Jews were targeted for extermination by Hitler.

This explains soooooooo much about you.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 03:40 PM
In England, gypsies were...

... a race of people that Hilter killed about 500,000 of in an effrot to exterminate them from the planet.

Donger
08-27-2009, 03:42 PM
No because you are from Europe and had no idea that a Gypsy wasn't some group of people driving around in RVs, but was in fact a race of people that like Jews were targeted for extermination by Hitler.

This explains soooooooo much about you.

Actually, that is the definition of those in England. Perhaps you should look it up and educate yourself, or shall I give you a link?

Donger
08-27-2009, 03:45 PM
... a race of people that Hilter killed about 500,000 of in an effrot to exterminate them from the planet.

And? I've already stated that I was unaware that these gypsies came from a distinct racial group. I was aware, of course, that Hitler persecuted them, along with a few million others.

I had just never bothered to look up their ancestry, I guess.

Donger
08-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Here you go, jAZ:

Gypsy has several different and overlapping meanings under English Law. Under the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 Gypsies are defined as "persons of nomadic habit of life, whatever their race or origin, but does not include members of an organised group of travelling showmen, or persons engaged in travelling circuses, travelling together as such.",[6] this definition includes such groups as New Age Travellers, as well as Irish Travellers and Romany.[7][8]

jAZ
08-27-2009, 03:50 PM
Actually, that is the definition of those in England. Perhaps you should look it up and educate yourself, or shall I give you a link?

I'm not remotely suggesting that in England (like here) there is a colquial defintion for gypsie that describes the RV caravan hippies crowd.

I'm agast that you never learned that Gypsies were a race of people exterminated by Hitler.

Did you study WWII in England?

2bikemike
08-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Wow I guess Madonna was booed over comments those who condemn Gypsies and Romas.

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/madonna-booed-in-bucharest-for-defending-gypsies/26947?nc

Donger
08-27-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm not remotely suggesting that in England (like here) there is a colquial defintion for gypsie that describes the RV caravan hippies crowd.

I'm agast that you never learned that Gypsies were a race of people exterminated by Hitler.

Did you study WWII in England?

It's aghast (your spelling has been dreadful today). And, no, like I said, I guess I never bothered to look up their ancestry.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 03:53 PM
And, no...
Really? You haven't ever had to study WWII? Wow. Why is that?

Donger
08-27-2009, 03:55 PM
Really? You haven't ever had to study WWII? Wow. Why is that?

Sorry, that was an extraneous 'no.' Yes, I've studied WWII thoroughly. More of the military aspect, mind you.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Sorry, that was an extraneous 'no.' Yes, I've studied WWII thoroughly. More of the military aspect, mind you.

So when you read that in his quest for racial purity, Hitler exterminated Jews and Gypsies, you never learned from that or anything, that Gypsies were a race Hitler exterminated?

Donger
08-27-2009, 04:38 PM
So when you read that in his quest for racial purity, Hitler exterminated Jews and Gypsies, you never learned from that or anything, that Gypsies were a race Hitler exterminated?

I wasn't aware that the Gypsies were considered a race, no.

***SPRAYER
08-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Sorry, that was an extraneous 'no.'

LMAO

jAZ
08-27-2009, 04:47 PM
I wasn't aware that the Gypsies were considered a race, no.

But you were aware that Hilter's racial extermination plan targeted Gypsies?

Donger
08-27-2009, 04:48 PM

Yes.

Donger
08-27-2009, 04:49 PM

He also went after retards. Did you know that?

patteeu
08-27-2009, 05:30 PM
There is nothing obvious about that. In fact, you'd have to miss the word "white" entirely to consider it not playing the race card. That defies logic.

It's obvious because there is nothing besides the phrase itself that is at all racial about her comments, she has no history of racism, and she immediately apologized for a poor choice of words when she realized how it could be taken by hypersensitive idiots.

For your theory to even make any sense, the democrat party would have to be dominated by non-whites as, for example, boxing had become when the play/movie by that name came out. The vast majority of democrat leaders are white so it doesn't make any sense to believe that the "white" part of her comment was about race.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 05:45 PM
It's obvious because there is nothing besides the phrase itself that is at all racial about her comments, she has no history of racism, and she immediately apologized for a poor choice of words when she realized how it could be taken by hypersensitive idiots.

For your theory to even make any sense, the democrat party would have to be dominated by non-whites as, for example, boxing had become when the play/movie by that name came out. The vast majority of democrat leaders are white so it doesn't make any sense to believe that the "white" part of her comment was about race.

No, the champ (Jack Johnson) just needs to have been black.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 05:47 PM
He also went after retards. Did you know that?

No, no idea. Though it makes sense, given his effort to purify. We each learned something. Hitler targeted mentally retarded people and Qypsies are a race of people.

patteeu
08-27-2009, 05:51 PM

Reading comprehension fail.

***SPRAYER
08-27-2009, 05:55 PM
No, no idea.

And this is the jackass who was being condescending to others about "reading history books".

If you did in fact, read any history books, how could you not know that?

It's a rhetorical question, he's a moonbat.

***SPRAYER
08-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Reading comprehension fail.

Moonbats don't read books, they get indoctrinated with propaganda.

patteeu
08-27-2009, 06:07 PM

It's a term with racial origins that has long since lost it's racial "loadedness". Do you think black NBA stars and fans bristled when they heard Larry Bird called by one of his nicknames, the Great White Hope? I don't.

patteeu
08-27-2009, 06:13 PM
You were speaking to jaZ by quoting my post? I can't imagine how I "misinterpreted" that.

Give it up, Pitt. jAZ has already locked up the award for douchiness in this thread. The dude apologized to you. Graciousness is in order.

jAZ
08-27-2009, 06:24 PM
"reading history books"
I never said that.

***SPRAYER
08-27-2009, 06:38 PM
I never said that.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=6006629&postcount=158

Your exact quote was "did you study history in England?"

Study as in read books, or maybe in moonbatland where you live people don't study by reading books.

What other subjects have you been dishonest about?

Taco John
08-27-2009, 08:54 PM

It's funny you mention this analogy. I got busted using the term "gypped" by an actual gypsie. I had no idea the root of the word. I just knew the general meaning of it. It's why I pardoned this woman the very second I read this. She clearly didn't mean anything racist by the statement. jAZ is just one of the biggest dishonest douches on this forum.

jAZ
08-28-2009, 01:12 AM
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=6006629&postcount=158

Your exact quote was "did you study history in England?"

Study as in read books, or maybe in moonbatland where you live people don't study by reading books.

What other subjects have you been dishonest about?

This is why you are always wrong. You can't even copy and paste accurately.

jAZ
08-28-2009, 01:32 AM
It's funny you mention this analogy. I got busted using the term "gypped" by an actual gypsie. I had no idea the root of the word. I just knew the general meaning of it. It's why I pardoned this woman the very second I read this. She clearly didn't mean anything racist by the statement. jAZ is just one of the biggest dishonest douches on this forum.
You point to a personal encounter of yours, having been busted for using "gyp" with an actual gypsy, as the very specific reason that you pardoned this woman.

If only we all had your experience.

I'll repeat what I said when I too learned the gyp->gypsy connection as you did some time ago:

Gyp is a good analogy. And your remark about Cooney makes a very good addition.

Here's what I think it at play.

1) I remember using the phrase gyp when I was a kid, but to this moment had no idea that it was gypsy related. In that context, it's clearly a racist phrase even if when I use it in a totally non-racist way.

2) I'm MUCH more familar with the phrase "great white hope" because it's used in boxing throught history and even recently. In particular Tommy Morrison (pre-AIDS and pre-Tommy Gunn era) was the "great white hope". It's also used in the context of movies like Rocky and a recent movie "Great White Hype".

That translates into to things for me:

1) If you know the origin of the term, it's takes on a wholey different tone when it's used than if you have no idea of it's origin and just hear it as a phrase.

2) If you use Gyp in reference to a gypsy, or in this case use "great white hope" in reference to beating a black President. It takes on even a wholey different tone than if you were to use them in reference to someone else.

Norman Einstein
08-28-2009, 03:46 AM
For someone trying to defend his point of view you seem to be posting retort after retort.

So when Obams siad to a crowd of black Americans "it's us against them" was that racist?

you seem to be picking your battles based on your perceptions on one side of the issue rather than use either common sense or pay it forward and take responsibility for both.

Chief Henry
08-28-2009, 05:03 AM
For someone trying to defend his point of view you seem to be posting retort after retort.

So when Obams siad to a crowd of black Americans "it's us against them" was that racist?

you seem to be picking your battles based on your perceptions on one side of the issue rather than use either common sense or pay it forward and take responsibility for both.

Ask him what Obama ment by stating it would come down to a Blue Pill or a Red Pill....

***SPRAYER
08-28-2009, 05:26 AM
This is why you are always wrong. You can't even copy and paste accurately.

You are a liar and a condescending prick who isn't exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Norman Einstein
08-28-2009, 05:34 AM
Ask him what Obama ment by stating it would come down to a Blue Pill or a Red Pill....

The pill color is just a ruse, the problem is the koolaid they give you to take the pills with!

Chief Henry
08-28-2009, 05:58 AM
The pill color is just a ruse, the problem is the koolaid they give you to take the pills with!

The kool-aid they're serving is filled with alot of BS.

Norman Einstein
08-28-2009, 09:27 AM
The kool-aid they're serving is filled with alot of BS.

I don't think that's the kind of koolaid I was talking about. i.e. Jim Jones and his group in Guyana. (see what people think of the HR3200 and the treatment of the older generations)

whatsmynameagain
09-01-2009, 11:15 AM
oh noes, say it aint sews!

so funny how many of you idiots want to jump the gun on everything before you even have the facts. all it takes is a fwd email and everyone's arms are in the air.

let me know if u need any piss to wash your words down when you eat them.

Rep. Lynn Jenkins (R-Kan.) took a bit of heat a few weeks ago for suggesting the GOP needed a "great white hope" to take on President Barack Obama in the next election.

The Kansas Republican backtracked from her remarks soon thereafter, insisting that she hadn't really understood the racial implications of the statement.

Alas, The Ottawa (Kans.) Herald finds one reason to doubt Jenkins's excuse. A month ago, the freshman lawmaker supported a resolution that included the very phrase "great white hope" in a historical context that made clear its origin.

In late July, the House of Representatives passed, by unanimous consent, a measure urging the president to pardon heavyweight champion boxer Jack Johnson, whose career brought him success in the ring and racist vitriol outside of it. Included in the resolution, which passed on July 29, was the following phrase:

"Whereas the victory by Jack Johnson over Tommy Burns prompted a search for a White boxer who could beat Jack Johnson, a recruitment effort that was dubbed the search for the 'great white hope.'"

For sports historical junkies: Johnson had to wait years to get a shot at the heavyweight title, because the top-ranked white boxers refused to fight him. Once he got the chance and defeated Burns, the boxing world went on a frantic search to find the "great white hope" to take back the title.

As Media Matters Action Network points out, one of those "great white hopes" was a boxer named Jess Willard, who actually lived just 27 miles from Jenkins' hometown of Holton, Kansas.

Johnson's fall would ultimately come when he took the gloves off. The target of racist violence, he was convicted in 1913 of violating the Mann Act against "transporting women across state lines for immoral purposes."
Posted via Mobile Device

Donger
09-01-2009, 11:20 AM
oh noes, say it aint sews!

so funny how many of you idiots want to jump the gun on everything before you even have the facts. all it takes is a fwd email and everyone's arms are in the air.

let me know if u need any piss to wash your words down when you eat them.

Rep. Lynn Jenkins (R-Kan.) took a bit of heat a few weeks ago for suggesting the GOP needed a "great white hope" to take on President Barack Obama in the next election.

The Kansas Republican backtracked from her remarks soon thereafter, insisting that she hadn't really understood the racial implications of the statement.

Alas, The Ottawa (Kans.) Herald finds one reason to doubt Jenkins's excuse. A month ago, the freshman lawmaker supported a resolution that included the very phrase "great white hope" in a historical context that made clear its origin.

In late July, the House of Representatives passed, by unanimous consent, a measure urging the president to pardon heavyweight champion boxer Jack Johnson, whose career brought him success in the ring and racist vitriol outside of it. Included in the resolution, which passed on July 29, was the following phrase:

"Whereas the victory by Jack Johnson over Tommy Burns prompted a search for a White boxer who could beat Jack Johnson, a recruitment effort that was dubbed the search for the 'great white hope.'"

For sports historical junkies: Johnson had to wait years to get a shot at the heavyweight title, because the top-ranked white boxers refused to fight him. Once he got the chance and defeated Burns, the boxing world went on a frantic search to find the "great white hope" to take back the title.

As Media Matters Action Network points out, one of those "great white hopes" was a boxer named Jess Willard, who actually lived just 27 miles from Jenkins' hometown of Holton, Kansas.

Johnson's fall would ultimately come when he took the gloves off. The target of racist violence, he was convicted in 1913 of violating the Mann Act against "transporting women across state lines for immoral purposes."
Posted via Mobile Device

How do you know she read the resolution?

patteeu
09-01-2009, 11:23 AM
a) What makes you think she read that legislation? If the past few months have taught us anything it's that lawmakers don't always read the legislation they support.

b) More importantly, what makes you think that even if she had read it and had some sense of the phrase's origin that it proves that she used the phrase in a racist way in the recent controversy? I'm aware of it's origin but recognize that it's meaning has been almost completely drained of it's racial connotations over the years. The use of that phrase in a racist way is the exception now, not the norm.

whatsmynameagain
09-01-2009, 11:28 AM
a) What makes you think she read that legislation? If the past few months have taught us anything it's that lawmakers don't always read the legislation they support.

b) More importantly, what makes you think that even if she had read it and had some sense of the phrase's origin that it proves that she used the phrase in a racist way in the recent controversy? I'm aware of it's origin but recognize that it's meaning has been almost completely drained of it's racial connotations over the years. The use of that phrase in a racist way is the exception now, not the norm.

not the great white hype dummy

if you're a republican, it doesn't mean your racist

if you're racist, it probably means you're a republican
Posted via Mobile Device

whatsmynameagain
09-01-2009, 11:33 AM
How do you know she read the resolution?

how do you know she didnt?
she is a freshman senator, i'd hope she would read it. either way, the lady is a twit.
Posted via Mobile Device

patteeu
09-01-2009, 11:34 AM

According to this poll (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=181180), the sense of ChiefsPlanet is that there are more racists than sexists in the democrat party so it can't be all that uncommon.

Donger
09-01-2009, 11:35 AM
she is a freshman senator, i'd hope she would read it. either way, the lady is a twit.
Posted via Mobile Device

You are the one making the supposition that she did. May I suggest that you actually have facts in place before doing so in the future?

patteeu
09-01-2009, 11:37 AM
You are the one making the supposition that she did. May I suggest that you actually have facts in place before doing so in the future?

Yeah, what was it he was saying about idiots jumping the gun?

vailpass
09-01-2009, 11:38 AM
wheresmybrainagain getting pwned is always funny to see.

Donger
09-01-2009, 11:41 AM

Here's a quote: "so funny how many of you idiots want to jump the gun on everything before you even have the facts."

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2009/sep/01/jenkins-staffer-says-congresswoman-didnt-read-reso/

Topeka ó A spokeswoman for Kansasí 2nd District Rep. Lynn Jenkins says the congresswoman didnít read a resolution she supported urging a pardon for boxer Jack Johnson.

whatsmynameagain
09-01-2009, 11:46 AM

either way she is an idiot. if she did or didnt. howd you like your piss, fresh out of my penis, room temp, or chilled?
Posted via Mobile Device

Donger
09-01-2009, 11:47 AM
either way she is an idiot. if she did or didnt. howd you like your piss, fresh out of my penis, room temp, or chilled?
Posted via Mobile Device

:spock:

whatsmynameagain
09-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Here's a quote: "so funny how many of you idiots want to jump the gun on everything before you even have the facts."

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2009/sep/01/jenkins-staffer-says-congresswoman-didnt-read-reso/

Topeka ó A spokeswoman for Kansasí 2nd District Rep. Lynn Jenkins says the congresswoman didnít read a resolution she supported urging a pardon for boxer Jack Johnson.

she didnt do her job, FAIL!
Posted via Mobile Device

whatsmynameagain
09-01-2009, 11:52 AM
wheresmybrainagain getting pwned is always funny to see.

pwned how? this rep didnt read the bill she voted on and is using terms she doesnt understand. am i wrong?

WE NEED A GREAT BRIGHT HOPE!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Donger
09-01-2009, 11:54 AM
she didnt do her job, FAIL!
Posted via Mobile Device

I would say there's a considerable chasm between not reading this feel good resolution and not reading the bill that would have transform our health care system, wouldn't you?

whatsmynameagain
09-01-2009, 11:55 AM

either way she is wrong, czechmate!
Posted via Mobile Device

Donger
09-01-2009, 11:58 AM
pwned how? this rep didnt read the bill she voted on and is using terms she doesnt understand. am i wrong?

WE NEED A GREAT BRIGHT HOPE!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

It appears that she didn't read the text of the resolution she voted 'Yea' on.

And, she was not aware of the historical meaning behind "great white hope."

whatsmynameagain
09-01-2009, 12:02 PM
I would say there's a considerable chasm between not reading this feel good resolution and not reading the bill that would have transform our health care system, wouldn't you?

of course, then we find out about death panels, and gun confiscations.
Posted via Mobile Device

Donger
09-01-2009, 12:08 PM
of course, then we find out about death panels, and gun confiscations.
Posted via Mobile Device

Are you feeling okay?

whatsmynameagain
09-01-2009, 12:14 PM
It appears that she didn't read the text of the resolution she voted 'Yea' on.

And, she was not aware of the historical meaning behind "great white hope."

What's your point? You are obviously giving her the benefit of the doubt but the fact is, if she votes yes on something she hasnt read, then she isn't very bright. She being a FRESHMAN REPRESENTATIVE makes it even worse. Her rep said she meant bright and used white because it's a bright color. Just like the majority of politicians and you, she has no fing clue what she is talking about.

GOOD DAY SIR!

Donger
09-01-2009, 12:22 PM
What's your point? You are obviously giving her the benefit of the doubt but the fact is, if she votes yes on something she hasnt read, then she isn't very bright. She being a FRESHMAN senator makes it even worse. Her rep said she meant bright and used white because it's a bright color. Just like the majority of politicians and you, she has no fing clue what she is talking about.

GOOD DAY SIR!

My point is documented in this very thread. That her use of this expression had nothing to do with race at all.

mlyonsd
09-01-2009, 12:23 PM
What's your point? You are obviously giving her the benefit of the doubt but the fact is, if she votes yes on something she hasnt read, then she isn't very bright. She being a FRESHMAN senator makes it even worse. Her rep said she meant bright and used white because it's a bright color. Just like the majority of politicians and you, she has no fing clue what she is talking about.

GOOD DAY SIR!
She's a representative, not a senator.

Donger
09-01-2009, 12:23 PM

LMAO

whatsmynameagain
09-01-2009, 12:29 PM

Oh my bad, you win. She was in the right......

patteeu
09-01-2009, 02:24 PM
either way she is wrong, czechmate!

LMAO Speaking of checkmate:

That's pretty much what we've been saying all along. It's very doubtful that there was anything racist, or even racial, about her "great white hope" comment. Ironic that just a few posts after calling us piss-drinking idiots, you've joined our ranks.

"pwned"? Yeah, I'd say so.

patteeu
09-01-2009, 02:25 PM
What's your point? You are obviously giving her the benefit of the doubt but the fact is, if she votes yes on something she hasnt read, then she isn't very bright. She being a FRESHMAN REPRESENTATIVE makes it even worse. Her rep said she meant bright and used white because it's a bright color. Just like the majority of politicians and you, she has no fing clue what she is talking about.

GOOD DAY SIR!

Link? I haven't seen that reported anywhere.

blaise
09-01-2009, 02:32 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

If you typed that it probably means you're a dumbass.

blaise
09-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

You realize you were trying to use her support of a pardon for Jack Johnson as proof that she's racist, right?
Makes sense.

whatsmynameagain
09-01-2009, 03:05 PM
You realize you were trying to use her support of a pardon for Jack Johnson as proof that she's racist, right?
Makes sense.

i dont recall saying she was racist. i think the great white hope to her is a white man.....i posted the story as an update to show this lady had to have a clue about what she was saying.
Posted via Mobile Device

blaise
09-01-2009, 03:18 PM
i dont recall saying she was racist. i think the great white hope to her is a white man.....i posted the story as an update to show this lady had to have a clue about what she was saying.
Posted via Mobile Device

Your link does not show in any way that she knew the racial context of "great white hope".