PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Thigpen keeps working despite frustration at quarterback

Tribal Warfare
08-26-2009, 11:21 PM
Thigpen keeps working despite frustration at quarterback (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1407807.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

For the most part, Tyler Thigpen has said and done all the proper things since the Chiefs traded for Matt Cassel and then signed Cassel to a lucrative, long-term contract.

Thigpen has worked hard, done what the coaches asked and, publicly at least, complained little over once again being a backup quarterback.

Every once in a while, his frustration over not being allowed to compete for the starting position slips through. Wednesday was one of those days.

“Matt’s been taking all the (snaps) with the (starters),” Thigpen said. “That’s obvious. They signed him to a long-term deal. He’s the face of the franchise right now. Good for him. Congratulations to him. Right now, I’m competing for a backup spot on this team.

“It’s very frustrating, but that’s the way the business works.”

Thigpen couldn’t even console himself with the possibility he might get to try to win a job somewhere else. The Jacksonville Jaguars offered the Chiefs a sixth-round pick and later sweetened the offer to a fifth-rounder in exchange for Thigpen.

The Jaguars are only the latest team to try to pry Thigpen away from the Chiefs. Tampa Bay and Carolina showed some interest around the draft, and more recently Baltimore made an inquiry.

To date, the Chiefs have resisted. But they may have their price in mind for Thigpen, who said he hadn’t heard anything about trade talks.

“The task at hand is the Seattle Seahawks,” he said, referring to the Chiefs’ preseason opponent Saturday night at Arrowhead Stadium. “That’s what I’m focusing on right now. Whatever happens, happens. That’s not in my control, so I’m not going to worry about it. Right now, I’m a Kansas City Chief and I’m looking forward to the season.

“Right now, I’ve got a job and I’m going out each and every day pushing Matt, helping Matt become a better quarterback and making myself a better quarterback. Every quarterback wants to compete for a job. Whatever situation comes up for me, I’m going to take full advantage of it.”

It was inevitable Thigpen would be a central figure in trade talks once the Chiefs traded for Cassel. He jumped into a most difficult spot for the Chiefs in the middle of last season and made the most of the opportunity.

The Chiefs won only one of Thigpen’s 11 starts, but that was hardly his fault. He threw 18 touchdown passes and only 12 interceptions and almost single-handedly made the Chiefs into a difficult opponent to defend with his running and passing skills.

Since the trade for Cassel, the Chiefs signed him to a lucrative, long-term contract, saw the return from injury of Brodie Croyle and added Matt Gutierrrez, who previously played for Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli with the Patriots.

The unanswered question is how expendable the Chiefs believe Thigpen has become. Coach Todd Haley wouldn’t touch the question Wednesday.

But Thigpen has been the second-team quarterback all week, so the Chiefs appear intent on giving him a good look against the Seahawks. Normally, the second-team duties rotate between Croyle and Thigpen, but Thigpen missed all of last week’s practice sessions and then the preseason game in Minnesota because of sore ribs.

Thigpen said he is back to full health and not rushing back, though that temptation would have been strong.

“That’s the main thing,” he said. “They’ll roll with the next guy if you’re not ready to play. That’s just the way it goes. They’ll check up on you and see if you’re doing all right, but they’ll move on without you.”

Thigpen’s continued value to the Chiefs could depend on his ability to show he can play in a conventional offense. The Chiefs switched to a spread formation last year to accommodate Thigpen and allow him to feel more comfortable, but Haley won’t be making any such move this year.

“He’s made progress, but he needs to continue to get better in that area,” Haley said. “I don’t think there’s any doubt if you watch him play the game against Houston he can make some plays with his feet. He was definitely a spark for the offense.

“He needs to continue to work on that aspect of his game, being a drop-back passer. Some of the accuracy isn’t where he needs to be when he’s in that mode.”

DBOSHO
08-26-2009, 11:24 PM
The Chiefs won only one of Thigpen’s 11 starts, but that was hardly his fault. He threw 18 touchdown passes and only 12 interceptions and almost single-handedly made the Chiefs into a difficult opponent to defend with his running and passing skills.

salame
08-26-2009, 11:25 PM
He had some great flashes but has to play in a very specific offense and doesn't seem to fit well in a pro style offense

DaneMcCloud
08-26-2009, 11:27 PM
The Chiefs won only one of Thigpen’s 11 starts, but that was hardly his fault.

Bullshit.

The mere fact that his completion percentage fell below 50% in each and every 4th quarter, he's clearly part of the problem.

Reerun_KC
08-26-2009, 11:29 PM
He should be flustrated... Herm is gone...

Psyko Tek
08-26-2009, 11:32 PM
I liked him
it's the underdog thing

he came from nowwhere and tried to pl;ay
give him a line he maybe good

nobody looks good without a line

BigMeatballDave
08-26-2009, 11:32 PM
Bullshit.

The mere fact that his completion percentage fell below 50% in each and every 4th quarter, he's clearly part of the problem.Don't waste your time with this moron.

BigMeatballDave
08-26-2009, 11:34 PM
I liked him
it's the underdog thing

he came from nowwhere and tried to pl;ay
give him a line he maybe good

nobody looks good without a lineWhat does a line have to do with a QB with terrible accuracy?

J Diddy
08-26-2009, 11:35 PM

Dude.

That's all.

Dude.

J Diddy
08-26-2009, 11:36 PM
What does a line have to do with a QB with terrible accuracy?

It's the lines fault that he couldn't take a 3 step drop and fire a pass. Or maybe the only time he had a shot was scrambling around until protection broke down and threw it up for grabs.

DBOSHO
08-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Dude.

That's all.

Dude.

thanks for letting me know.

salame
08-26-2009, 11:38 PM
It's the lines fault that he couldn't take a 3 step drop and fire a pass. Or maybe the only time he had a shot was scrambling around until protection broke down and threw it up for grabs.

he is one bad decision away from throwing a leftie interception

Reerun_KC
08-26-2009, 11:39 PM
What does a line have to do with a QB with terrible accuracy?

You sure it wasnt the defense that cause Thigpen to fail? I swore someone told me the defense caused Thigpen's completion % to drop each and every game...

What does he have to throw and catch too?

MoreLemonPledge
08-26-2009, 11:39 PM
he is one bad decision away from throwing a leftie interception

He could still start for the Broncos.

J Diddy
08-26-2009, 11:40 PM
You sure it wasnt the defense that cause Thigpen to fail? I swore someone told me the defense caused Thigpen's completion % to drop each and every game...

What does he have to throw and catch too?

all I got to say is 50% in the 4th quarter

4 td, 4 int

That debunks all

J Diddy
08-26-2009, 11:40 PM

LMAO

This

Brandon Marshall come to papa

BigMeatballDave
08-26-2009, 11:43 PM
It's the lines fault that he couldn't take a 3 step drop and fire a pass. Or maybe the only time he had a shot was scrambling around until protection broke down and threw it up for grabs.Thig rarely took any drops because he was usually in shotgun. He is highly inaccurate. Period. The numbers show, and I saw it with my own eyes several times. Its obvious the new regime at Arrowhead agrees with this. Thig doesn't even work with the 1st team.

salame
08-26-2009, 11:44 PM
I don't deny that he had some flashes last year
and was pretty productive
But I don't think he is as good as cassel
that should be case closed
get him out of here for some value
maybe replace the draft pick we traded the two o-lineman for

Reerun_KC
08-26-2009, 11:46 PM
Thig rarely took any drops because he was usually in shotgun. He is highly inaccurate. Period. The numbers show, and I saw it with my own eyes several times. Its obvious the new regime at Arrowhead agrees with this. Thig doesn't even work with the 1st team.

That is the part that will chirp some fans asses... But if Haley and Pioli only see value in him as trade bait...

So be it... This team needs much more than Thigpen traded... Its just a start to building an NFL team, not a VW bug full of clowns for Herm...

salame
08-26-2009, 11:48 PM
thigpen is not going to help win games on the 3rd team
there is no JV nfl

MoreLemonPledge
08-26-2009, 11:51 PM
thigpen is not going to help win games on the 3rd team
there is no JV nfl

http://thesportingrevolt.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/ufl_logo.png

Param
08-26-2009, 11:51 PM
You know what? I give him credit for still working hard. Ship him to another team and maybe he'll get an opportunity there. He's definately not going to get it here, so trade him and get a draft pick in return. Works best for both.

CaliforniaChief
08-27-2009, 12:03 AM

He can throw left-handed grenade tosses into the end zone? He has aspirations of dominating the handball circuit?

CrazyPhuD
08-27-2009, 12:38 AM
Bullshit.

The mere fact that his completion percentage fell below 50% in each and every 4th quarter, he's clearly part of the problem.

I agree with you 100%, I like thigpen, but no doubt he was part of the problem. However he was't the only problem either, the fact that the D sucked balls where they had to win in the 4th after getting significant wins would it made difficult for any first year starting QB to win.

Everyone is down on Thigpen and in all honesty until he proves he can win in a pro set offense we should all doubt his ability to play QB, he's an interesting athlete who makes things happen, but that does not a QB make.

That said, you have to ask who gives the chiefs the best chance to win next season? Cassel is the starter no doubt, if we're playing our 2nd or 3rd string QB it's either mop up time or were completely fucked. In that regard who we keep as 2 and 3 depend upon who has the best long term potential to help the team, and potentially step in as a backup when we are competitive and it actually matters to win(which won't be next year).

The question you have to ask about the rest, is who gives the team the best chance to win next year. I'd say no doubt that's Thigpen over Gutierrez. Why, niether no 2 or no 3 QBs should ever get in the game as a QB, the only reason you have No 2 even active is if No 1 gets hurt, which hopefully never happens. I would suggest the best way for the team to win is set up Thigpen as the active(no 2 QB) and Croyle as the inactive No 3. Why Croyle is only going to be a standard QB and won't be able to contribute on offense unless Cassel gets hurt. If thigpen is active, he can be used as not a QB, as a slash/wildcat/etc. He gives a change up dimension to an offense that is lacking in numbers of playmakers. He shouldn't be a QB next year, but thigpen as a slash, could be an effective change up on offense and could keep the opposing D guessing.

pr_capone
08-27-2009, 12:50 AM
Bullshit.

Could not the non existent conditioning by Herm and his crew did not play a part at all?

I'm not saying that Thigpen is the bees knees but having an o-line that could not have stopped a group of 8th graders by the end of the 4th because they were so winded had to have affected him a bit.

-King-
08-27-2009, 12:50 AM
Thigpen couldn’t even console himself with the possibility he might get to try to win a job somewhere else. The Jacksonville Jaguars offered the Chiefs a sixth-round pick and later sweetened the offer to a fifth-rounder in exchange for Thigpen.

WHAT THE SHIT?!?!?!

I will drive the fucker to the Airport if we get a 5th for him.

DaneMcCloud
08-27-2009, 01:04 AM
Could not the non existent conditioning by Herm and his crew did not play a part at all?

I'm not saying that Thigpen is the bees knees but having an o-line that could not have stopped a group of 8th graders by the end of the 4th because they were so winded had to have affected him a bit.

I doubt it, as condition as such should not (and most likely, would not) affect a quarterback's throwing motion and accuracy.

For Fuck's Sake, the guy was standing 7 yards deep for 60 minutes! How much "conditioning" would he need to improve his accuracy?

That just isn't a factor.

DaneMcCloud
08-27-2009, 01:05 AM
WHAT THE SHIT?!?!?!

I will drive the fucker to the Airport if we get a 5th for him.

Keep in mind, he'll have to get to the airport in order for the trade to go through.

Personally, I wouldn't trust you with that job.

:p

Chocolate Hog
08-27-2009, 01:07 AM
Damn people will make up any excuse for Thigpen.

pr_capone
08-27-2009, 01:10 AM
I doubt it, as condition as such should not (and most likely, would not) affect a quarterback's throwing motion and accuracy.

For ****'s Sake, the guy was standing 7 yards deep for 60 minutes! How much "conditioning" would he need to improve his accuracy?

That just isn't a factor.

My apologies for the confusion. I was not talking about his conditioning but that of the offensive line. Even, to a lesser extent, that of his receivers.

It seemed that more often than not the guy was running for his life due to a breakdown of his protection.

DaneMcCloud
08-27-2009, 01:13 AM
My apologies for the confusion. I was not talking about his conditioning but that of the offensive line. Even, to a lesser extent, that of his receivers.

It seemed that more often than not the guy was running for his life due to a breakdown of his protection.

Say what you will but IMO, I don't care if Niswanger, Adrian Jones and Damion McIntosh could successfully complete the Boston Marathon tomorrow.

They all SUCK. They're talentless and don't belong in the NFL.

Let alone as starters.

Chocolate Hog
08-27-2009, 01:17 AM
Say what you will but IMO, I don't care if Niswanger, Adrian Jones and Damion McIntosh could successfully complete the Boston Marathon tomorrow.

Let alone as starters.

Dane people are only talking about conditioning because the local media wrote articles about it. Seriously nobody was saying last year the reason this team sucked was because of conditioning. It's hilarious what excuses people will make up for the suck of this football team.

pr_capone
08-27-2009, 01:19 AM

Let alone as starters.

You already know we agree about the talent of the O-Line.

The stat you were mentioning was his completion percentage in the 4th quarter. If McIntosh is bad at the start of the game, he is going to be flat horrible in the 4th if he is sucking wind.

I'm sure it also had to do with the D catching on to the Thigpen only formations towards the end of the game. :)

DaneMcCloud
08-27-2009, 01:22 AM
I'm sure it also had to do with the D catching on to the Thigpen only formations towards the end of the game.

That's the key.

Look at the Tampa game. The Chiefs were up something like 24-6 at the half. Tampa goes into the locker room, makes adjustments and BOOM! Win the game.

The reason he had success early on is that defensive coordinators in the NFL hadn't faced a pure "Spread" offense on each down in each series.

Once they adjusted, it was Adios, Muchachos!

pr_capone
08-27-2009, 01:31 AM
That's the key.

Look at the Tampa game. The Chiefs were up something like 24-6 at the half. Tampa goes into the locker room, makes adjustments and BOOM! Win the game.

The reason he had success early on is that defensive coordinators in the NFL hadn't faced a pure "Spread" offense on each down in each series.

Once they adjusted, it was Adios, Muchachos!

I wonder if Thigpen were to have some actual protection if he could actually develop into a real QB playing in a pro formation or if he was a Spread only QB.

It often seemed like Thig would look at his first receiver, MAYBE his second, then take off running. He had to know that his line was shit and only had 3 seconds to either throw the ball (to Tony) or run.

I would have loved to seen him develop into a late 80's early 90's Cunningham... both able to pass and rush.

Chocolate Hog
08-27-2009, 01:33 AM
I wonder if Thigpen were to have some actual protection if he could actually develop into a real QB playing in a pro formation or if he was a Spread only QB.

It often seemed like Thig would look at his first receiver, MAYBE his second, then take off running. He had to know that his line was shit and only had 3 seconds to either throw the ball (to Tony) or run.

I would have loved to seen him develop into a late 80's early 90's Cunningham... both able to pass and rush.

LOL! What part of suck don't you understand? Thigpen couldn't complete a pass over 5 yards not because of the o-line but because he he sucks.

JuicesFlowing
08-27-2009, 01:54 AM
Maybe Thigpen could play receiver. He did more in one game last year than Jeff Webb did in 4 years. Nah, trade him.

the Talking Can
08-27-2009, 04:29 AM
if we rubbed cassel's underwear all over thigpen, could we trick McDaniels into thinking thigpen was cassel and then trade him to denver for marshall?

McDaniels: "Hey, that's not Cassel"

Pioli: "Sure it is, smell him..that's 100% pure Cassel Scent"

McDaniels: [his nose in thigpen's armpit, left hand in his pants] "sssssnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnmmmmmmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......sold"

Count Zarth
08-27-2009, 05:23 AM
Someone filled Thigpen's head full of bullshit and convinced him he's better than he actually is.

keg in kc
08-27-2009, 05:33 AM
Too bad Arena League's folding, he might have been a contender.

LaChapelle
08-27-2009, 05:44 AM
The Thigpen offense: O-line go out and become a pinball bumper, try not to get holding calls. WRs, TEs and RBs run around in circles and try to get open so he can overthrow you.
-Not good for installing the discipline Haley craves.

big nasty kcnut
08-27-2009, 06:42 AM
Its was bad playcalling from herm. Also hard to do completion while only have two good players on the line. As far as throwing not having a good hc or qb coach will mess you up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Radar Chief
08-27-2009, 06:50 AM
Hell, keep him.
If, god forbid, Cassel goes down, even if only for one game, you can’t rely on Brokie finishing a game.

MOhillbilly
08-27-2009, 06:59 AM
We dont need a doug flutie in the locker room.

Lex Luthor
08-27-2009, 07:07 AM
Hell, keep him.
If, god forbid, Cassel goes down, even if only for one game, you can’t rely on Brokie finishing a game.

That's absolutely right. All of the Thigpen haters conveniently forget that the guy can at least take a hit AND put points on the board. Thigpen was essentially a rookie QB last year. As first-year quarterbacks go, he did a decent job for a terrible team. I'd take Thigpen over Brokie every time.

If Cassel goes down, how long do the Thigpen haters think it would take Brokie to go down?

Count Zarth
08-27-2009, 07:11 AM
I'd take Thigpen over Brokie every time.

Haley wouldn't.

King_Chief_Fan
08-27-2009, 07:11 AM
The team will do what it needs to do regarding Thigpen.

However, another OL like last year you go through QB's pretty quick.
If that OL isn't fixed, we need Thigpen to run the spread and run for your life offense. He is better than anyone else on the QB squad when it comes to that kind of offense.

Did Thigpen really believe he could be the starter at KC? Did Haley mis speak when he said all positions are open for competition? He Haley mean what he said and Thigpen can't hold Cassel's jock strap?

CoMoChief
08-27-2009, 07:12 AM
Dear Teicher,

Why is this even article worthy? He's a 3rd string QB.

Sincerely,

Everyone in Kansas City

Lex Luthor
08-27-2009, 07:16 AM
Haley wouldn't.

Has Brokie got a decal on his helmet?

Count Zarth
08-27-2009, 07:24 AM
Has Brokie got a decal on his helmet?

Give me a friggin' break.

Croyle ripped the #2 QB position away from Thigpen like he was nothing. And he hasn't come close to relinquishing it.

JASONSAUTO
08-27-2009, 07:27 AM
Haley wouldn't.

how do you know that at this point? have YOU asked haley that?

JASONSAUTO
08-27-2009, 07:28 AM
Give me a friggin' break.

Croyle ripped the #2 QB position away from Thigpen like he was nothing. And he hasn't come close to relinquishing it.

again, how do you know this? were you at TC? were you at arrowhead? did you get an interview with haley? pioli? anyone?

Count Zarth
08-27-2009, 07:30 AM
Sauto, don't be an idiot.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/depth_chart/

Otter
08-27-2009, 07:31 AM
I'd like to see Thigpen get a shot. The guy was scrappy and had heart. He could wind up being a Jim Harbaugh kind of guy.

JASONSAUTO
08-27-2009, 07:31 AM

so you are reading articles just like the rest of us right? haley HIMSELF has said the depth chart is "fluid". has brodie been getting 2nd string reps this week?

Count Zarth
08-27-2009, 07:32 AM
I'd like to see Thigpen get a shot. The guy was scrappy and had heart. He could wind up being a Jim Harbaugh kind of guy.

http://i31.tinypic.com/29qfea1.jpg

Chiefnj2
08-27-2009, 07:34 AM
So the latest reports have Jax offering a 5th and other teams expressing interest. If Pioli can get a 5th or better for him it will be amazing.

the Talking Can
08-27-2009, 07:41 AM
if we trade away a career backup QB for more than he is worth this franchise is doomed

Lex Luthor
08-27-2009, 08:15 AM
So the latest reports have Jax offering a 5th and other teams expressing interest. If Pioli can get a 5th or better for him it will be amazing.
Yes, because the posters on this board are much better judges of talent than the NFL teams who have expressed interest in trading for Thigpen.

KCtotheSB
08-27-2009, 08:16 AM
That's absolutely right. All of the Thigpen haters conveniently forget that the guy can at least take a hit AND put points on the board. Thigpen was essentially a rookie QB last year. As first-year quarterbacks go, he did a decent job for a terrible team. I'd take Thigpen over Brokie every time.

If Cassel goes down, how long do the Thigpen haters think it would take Brokie to go down?

Couldn't have said it better.

Thigpen isn't a starting QB. I would hope most people would understand this by now and also stop comparing him to something he isn't, a drop back passer. He was thrust into the starting role in Week 3 last season and looked like complete ass. After that, he improved quite a bit. He's a scrappy backup who I feel confident in at least keeping the offense chugging along and keeping the team in the game with Chan Gailey calling the plays. His methods are a bit unorthodox, but he's a good scrambler and that's always a good trait to have when your O-line is garbage. With that said, if we can get a 4th (or better), ship him. That's a really good turnaround for us.

I don't really have that much "hate" for Thigpen. He at least made last season watchable.

Lex Luthor

Is that the same depth chart that had Dwayne Bowe listed as 3rd team?

Count Zarth
Apples to oranges.

Radar Chief
08-27-2009, 08:20 AM
What’s Thigpen costing the Chiefs to keep around anyway?
IIRC he’s got a pretty light cap number, as far as QB’s go.

Lex Luthor
08-27-2009, 08:24 AM
if we trade away a career backup QB for more than he is worth this franchise is doomed
I always hate it when people try to make their point by calling somebody a "career backup". That ranks right up there with saying "He's second string for a reason".

That's what Grbac lovers used to say about Rich Gannon. I hope they were happy when Gannon went to the Raiders and became the NFL MVP.

Being the starting QB for an NFL team is a combination of talent, luck, and opportunity. If Trent Green hadn't had his knee blown out in the preseason when he played for the Rams, Kurt Warner would have never got a chance and nobody would have ever heard of him.

I'm not saying Thigpen is even in the same universe as Rich Gannon or Kurt Warner. What I am saying is that the "career backup" argument is just about the weakest argument there is, and the only reason people use it is because they have no real case to make.

Chief Faithful
08-27-2009, 08:25 AM

Don't worry, with Brokie playing behind the third string line next game the issue will resolve itself. Brokie will be broken and Thigpen with be #2.

Coach
08-27-2009, 08:30 AM
Bullshit.

While true, one do have to wonder how much of this problem can be related to Herm Edwards and his coaching philosophy. Remember, last year the Chiefs in the first half was doing well, then after halftime, the change in philosophy/playcalling, was obvious.

Lex Luthor
08-27-2009, 08:35 AM
The thing that amazes me is all of the love suddenly being shown to Brodie Croyle.

He's always had a good arm. He's never been durable. He's never won a game in the NFL. He doesn't sound like a very reliable backup QB to me.

the Talking Can
08-27-2009, 08:35 AM
I always hate it when people try to make their point by calling somebody a "career backup". That ranks right up there with saying "He's second string for a reason".

That's what Grbac lovers used to say about Rich Gannon. I hope they were happy when Gannon went to the Raiders and became the NFL MVP.

Being the starting QB for an NFL team is a combination of talent, luck, and opportunity. If Trent Green hadn't had his knee blown out in the preseason when he played for the Rams, Kurt Warner would have never got a chance and nobody would have ever heard of him.

I'm not saying Thigpen is even in the same universe as Rich Gannon or Kurt Warner. What I am saying is that the "career backup" argument is just about the weakest argument there is, and the only reason people use it is because they have no real case to make.

making a case against thigpen is the easiest thing in the world

he's inaccurate....end of conversation

he was in college
he is in the pros
can't play under center

career backup or starter for team that isn't serious about winning a super bowl, take your pick

people are so in love with this guy, it's hilarious

CHIEFS58
08-27-2009, 08:37 AM
did anyone watch this kid last year? no line, lj sucked, all he had was gonzo and bowe. not to mention 2 seconds to make decisions before sackintosh and crew let the d-line breeze by. he has the chops to lead. the problem was the rest of the team played like "detroit south". how anyone can defend croyle vs. thigpen is beyond me. croyle gets sneezed on and tears and acl.

CHIEFS58
08-27-2009, 08:38 AM
im not advocating him over cassel by any means, but he is a fantastic #2 man. if the o-line doesnt step up, we're gonna need him. if croyles in, he'll get hurt jogging onto the field and then we have gutierrez. who the hell wants that???

notorious
08-27-2009, 08:39 AM
While true, one do have to wonder how much of this problem can be related to Herm Edwards and his coaching philosophy. Remember, last year the Chiefs in the first half was doing well, then after halftime, the change in philosophy/playcalling, was obvious.

Excellent point. Our offense rolled up into a shell, and you mix that with the opposing team's defensive adjustments and bam: pile-o-s#^& offense.

Hopefully Haley wants to go for the throat in the second half, but not as aggresively Vermeil, since that killed the Chiefs a few times. Play to win, not to lose.

the Talking Can
08-27-2009, 08:42 AM
are you guys calling into 610?

fuck these fans are retarded....you'd think we were trading a young elway...

JASONSAUTO
Apples to oranges.

nice how it is gold when it fits YOUR argument but when the tables are turned you dismiss it

Lex Luthor
making a case against thigpen is the easiest thing in the world

he's inaccurate....end of conversation

he was in college
he is in the pros
can't play under center

career backup or starter for team that isn't serious about winning a super bowl, take your pick

people are so in love with this guy, it's hilarious
I notice you backed away from your assertion that his being a "career backup" means ANYTHING. That's progress, anyway.

(edit) Oops, upon re-reading this, I see you are STILL making that stupid "career backup" argument. You don't watch very much football, do you?

JASONSAUTO

LMAO i'm all for trading the guy. if we can get a draft choice out of him i will be ecstatic

Lex Luthor
08-27-2009, 08:47 AM
LMAO i'm all for trading the guy. if we can get a draft choice out of him i will be ecstatic
I'm not against trading him. I just think it's funny how much some of the people on this forum hate this guy.

Coach
08-27-2009, 08:49 AM
I'm not against trading him. I just think it's funny how much some of the people on this forum hate this guy.

No hate from me. At least he made last season barely watchable. I really liked the Bradley throw to Thigpen play during the Bucs game.

notorious
08-27-2009, 08:51 AM

and then some.

OnTheWarpath58
08-27-2009, 08:58 AM

I can only speak for myself, but I don't hate the guy. I'm sure he's a nice guy off the field.

He just has no place on this team - or on many others, IMO.

He's that typical lack of talent white guy that this fanbase falls in love with for no other reason than his underdog status, then they turn him into some cult hero.

Boomer Grigsby
Marc Boerighter
Mike Maslowski
Rich Scanlon
Monty Beisel

CoMoChief
08-27-2009, 09:01 AM
Haha a 5th rounder for Thigpen??? fuckin jump on that shit, unless some other dim-whitted moron GM is offering something better than that.

Saleenman607
08-27-2009, 09:03 AM
I think one has to consider what Haley has proclaimed from the beginning, and that is he is only going to consider what he see's NOW. Skip last year and before. What do you bring to the table NOW. Cassel and his paycheck has to be #1, Brokie and his performance lately #2 and Thiggy/Gutierrez vying for #3. I love Haley's approach to the 53 that will make the team. Show me what you got NOW MFu&*^%$.

Just Passin' By
08-27-2009, 09:18 AM
The thing that amazes me is all of the love suddenly being shown to Brodie Croyle.

He's always had a good arm. He's never been durable. He's never won a game in the NFL. He doesn't sound like a very reliable backup QB to me.

One player is 0-8 and the other is 1-10, and neither is currently any good. This is not Tom Brady v. Peyton Manning here.

KCDC
08-27-2009, 09:28 AM
Chiefs pessimists say Thigpen is crap. Many NFL GMs think otherwise. I think I'll go with the GMs on this one.

I will be thankful to Thigpen for what he did for us in 2008. He gave me the smallest reason for hope and kept me watching games. So, I'm going to cut him some slack. I happen to agree with Pioli that he is worth more than a 5th rounder. With an extra 5th round pick next year, we could get another Colin Brown to flush. No thanks. Give me a higher pick for a guy that threw 18 TDs last year and was an exciting player.

the Talking Can
08-27-2009, 09:32 AM
Chiefs pessimists say Thigpen is crap. Many NFL GMs think otherwise. I think I'll go with the GMs on this one.

does thigpen have a mailing list or something?

where is everyone coming from?

tampa bay traded for ryan sims....the Chiefs signed kendrell bell....many GMs are freaking idiots...

Brock
08-27-2009, 09:32 AM

Which GMs are you talking about?

Just Passin' By
08-27-2009, 09:34 AM
Any chance we could get Matt Millen's opinion on this?

Rooster
08-27-2009, 09:40 AM
A debate about Thig only happens on a team that has only won 6 games in two freaking years.

KCDC
08-27-2009, 09:55 AM
Which GMs are you talking about?

The ones showing interest in trading for him.

JASONSAUTO
08-27-2009, 09:57 AM

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree

Brock
08-27-2009, 09:57 AM
The ones showing interest in trading for him.

I don't see "many" showing that interest.

KCDC
08-27-2009, 09:58 AM
does thigpen have a mailing list or something?

where is everyone coming from?

tampa bay traded for ryan sims....the Chiefs signed kendrell bell....many GMs are freaking idiots...

True, but more than one GM is showing interest. The Ravens are pretty darn saavy. The Jags front office is not known to be blithering idiots (like Matt Millen).

chiefzilla1501
08-27-2009, 10:05 AM

Nobody is saying that, dipshit. They're saying he might have upside to be decent.

Most people know he's flawed. Nobodys saying he's elway. They just argue against people like you who are convinced he's the next ryan leaf.
Posted via Mobile Device

Radar Chief
08-27-2009, 10:06 AM
I don't see "many" showing that interest.

Well, apparently there have been 4 GM’s expressing interest, I don’t know if you’d equate that to “many” but it’s more than a couple. Since there are only 32 of them that makes 1/8 of NFL GM’s interested.
Of course,1/4 of the US population is retarded, assuming that carries over to the NFL it is possible that the 1/8 actually do come from the 1/4 ‘tard group.

LaChapelle
08-27-2009, 10:47 AM
I must have missed the, Thigpen die in a fire or walk into an AIDS tree posts.

Sure-Oz
08-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Twibell on 610 this morning said they should try him out at WR, lol

LaChapelle
08-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Thigpen goes to Florida and is closer to home. Chiefs get a draft pick. win win