PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Haley sees progress at wide receiver

Tribal Warfare
08-27-2009, 12:32 AM
Chiefs notebook: Haley sees progress at wide receiver (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1407809.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Coach Todd Haley said Wednesday that the Chiefs might not be finished adding wide receivers — among other positions — but that he’s growing more comfortable with the ones he has.

Kansas City signed two veteran receivers, Amani Toomer and Ashley Lelie, during training camp and during a particular time of discomfort for Haley, when he demoted Dwayne Bowe because of poor focus and effort.

“They’re getting better,” Haley said. “I said early on I was pretty frustrated with that position, but I think there is definite progress made across the board.

“Hopefully, we take it to the game and make plays in the game. But I would say they’re making strides.”

But Haley said after Wednesday’s morning session that the receivers had improved, even if the Chiefs will continue to scour the free-agent wire as teams begin to part ways with players as roster cuts approach.

Cassel deals with practice repetition

Quarterback Matt Cassel said some practice drills might not always make sense, but he understands the value of them as the team approaches the regular season.

Cassel said the offense ran a screen pass against a safety blitz, and Haley instructed the offense to run the same play. Cassel admitted Wednesday that he was confused by Haley’s order.

“I’m like: ‘They just saw the screen pass,’ ” Cassel said. “We ran it again, so I think it is one of those points of emphasis that you just have to make things happen, and it’s not going to always be perfect in the game. And even if it’s not, we’ve got to try and make this go.”

McIntosh returns to LT

Veteran offensive lineman Damion McIntosh spent time Wednesday at a familiar position, lining up during the morning session at second-team left tackle. McIntosh spent his first eight seasons at left tackle before moving to right tackle last season, after the Chiefs drafted Branden Albert in the first round.

“It’s a balancing act,” Haley said, “of trying to put guys where you think they’ve got the most chance to get the most action out there, for us to evaluate them, instead of just standing there.”

Haley said McIntosh’s move wasn’t necessarily permanent. But it is ostensibly for the Chiefs to get a look at Ikechuku Ndukwe, who spent the last two days at right tackle with the second-string offense. Barry Richardson was the first-team right tackle.

McIntosh, who expressed frustration at times last year at his move to the right side, said Wednesday that he was ambivalent to where he plays on the Chiefs’ line.

Injury report

Running back Kolby Smith and rookie tight end Jake O’Connell sat out both of Wednesday’s sessions. O’Connell wore a walking boot on his left leg. Linebacker Derrick Johnson sat out the afternoon practice.

salame
08-27-2009, 12:33 AM
Is Zack Thomas dead?

KcMizzou
08-27-2009, 12:36 AM
Cassel said the offense ran a screen pass against a safety blitz, and Haley instructed the offense to run the same play. Cassel admitted Wednesday that he was confused by Haley’s order.

“I’m like: ‘They just saw the screen pass,’ ” Cassel said. “We ran it again, so I think it is one of those points of emphasis that you just have to make things happen, and it’s not going to always be perfect in the game. And even if it’s not, we’ve got to try and make this go.”

I heard about this on the radio today. Supposedly Haley's response was something like, "So what? Find a way to make it work."

MoreLemonPledge
08-27-2009, 12:52 AM
Coach Todd Haley said Wednesday that the Chiefs might not be finished adding wide receivers

Matt Jones.

DBOSHO
08-27-2009, 12:55 AM
andre johnson

salame
08-27-2009, 12:57 AM
Peter Warrick?

tk13
08-27-2009, 01:04 AM
Webster Slaughter.

MoreLemonPledge
08-27-2009, 01:05 AM
I hear Snoop Minnis is still available.

salame
08-27-2009, 01:09 AM
Marc Boerigter

DBOSHO
08-27-2009, 01:13 AM
johnnie morton

Sure-Oz
08-27-2009, 01:14 AM
I heard about this on the radio today. Supposedly Haley's response was something like, "So what? Find a way to make it work."

I liked that

PhillyChiefFan
08-27-2009, 06:15 AM
I hear Snoop Minnis is still available.

ROFL, I don't know if the Lexus dealership he's currently working for would let him walk for nothin though.

chiefs1111
08-27-2009, 06:35 AM
Andre Rison

LaChapelle
08-27-2009, 06:50 AM
Lack of WR depth seems to be a league wide problem. Kinda like CB depth use to be. KC, always on top of the trends.

TheGuardian
08-27-2009, 07:24 AM
I liked that

No kidding, that's good stuff right there.

The Chiefs may not win a lot of games due to talent this year but I have no doubt at all that they will be a far better coached team. FAR BETTER.

modocsot
08-27-2009, 08:12 AM
ROFL, I don't know if the Lexus dealership he's currently working for would let him walk for nothin though.

Is he really selling cars for a living now?

Mr. Krab
08-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Veteran offensive lineman Damion McIntosh spent time Wednesday at a familiar position, lining up during the morning session at second-team left tackle.
Great sign! It indicates to me that the Chiefs now consider McIntosh a backup. He's training at both tackle positions and he will no longer be starting.

DTLB58
08-27-2009, 11:43 AM
Is Zack Thomas dead?

We will only talk about the players that are on the practice field that are practicing. ROFL

Micjones
08-27-2009, 12:08 PM

This guy does and says all the right things.

Things don't always go as planned in the NFL and often times you're going to have to make something out of nothing. Be prepared to do just that...

Chief Faithful
08-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Great sign! It indicates to me that the Chiefs now consider McIntosh a backup. He's training at both tackle positions and he will no longer be starting.

Maybe he will get cut because I like Taylor at LT much better.

Mr. Krab
08-27-2009, 12:59 PM
Maybe he will get cut because I like Taylor at LT much better.I realize everyone(including me) has high hopes for Herb Taylor but he has done two things so far as a Chief .... Jack and Shit.

I'm pretty much done with him as a OT, move him inside or cut him.