PDA

View Full Version : RB, RB, WR or RB, WR, RB or RB, WR, QB....etc.

KCtotheSB
08-27-2009, 11:19 AM
Have a $100 buy-in FF Draft on CBS Sportsline coming up next Thursday. I'm trying to see which method to employ. I usually go RB, RB, WR for my first 3 picks. Solid RB's are rare to pick up on the waiver wire during the season while you can hit the jackpot with a nice game by waiver wire wideout. However with so many teams going "running back by committee" or not having one real featured back, I'm toying with RB, WR, RB. Add in the fact, that there are so many solid wideouts (Fitz, Andre Johnson, Moss) and they're sure to go quick.

Of course, this strategy tends to change based on who's left available. Does anyone go in with a preset strategy of who to get with their first 3 picks?

Dicky McElephant
08-27-2009, 11:24 AM
It depends on where you pick in the draft. If you're picking near the top....go RB, WR, RB.

If you're picking towards the end.....I'd go WR, RB, RB or WR, WR, RB.

Delano
08-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Preset strategies break down so easliy. It's a fluid situation, brah.

Sofa King
08-27-2009, 11:26 AM
It depends on where you pick in the draft. If you're picking near the top....go RB, WR, RB.

If you're picking towards the end.....I'd go WR, RB, RB or WR, WR, RB.

^that!

Dicky McElephant
08-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Oh...and it all depends on the scoring of your league as well. Different scoring...different strategies. But it's pretty much like Delano said. If you go in with a strategy that you think you have to follow....you're going to get screwed up.

Mile High Mania
08-27-2009, 12:21 PM
Oh...and it all depends on the scoring of your league as well. Different scoring...different strategies. But it's pretty much like Delano said. If you go in with a strategy that you think you have to follow....you're going to get screwed up.

Yeah, I can't really answer the question until you know scoring...

PPR?
TDs = same points for all positions?
Bonus points? (100 yd games, longer scores)
Flex?

Do you start 2 or 3 WRs?
Do you have to start 2 RBs?

Lots of dynamics to consider, that's not even addressing WHERE you pick in R1 and R2.

Buck
08-27-2009, 01:01 PM
What pick # do you have?

I went

QB
WR
WR
RB
RB
WR

Got Willie Parker and Lendale White, not the greatest, but my QB + WR corps more than makes up for it. (Brady, Moss, Roddy White, Roy Williams)

Dicky McElephant
08-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Roy Williams sucks.

Sofa King
08-27-2009, 01:17 PM
Roy Williams sucks.

^that once again...

better hope brady and moss tear it up

Dicky McElephant
08-27-2009, 01:20 PM
^that once again...

better hope brady and moss tear it up

Or find some sucker Cowboys fan and trade him Williams for a RB.

Molitoth
08-27-2009, 01:24 PM
Also, it depends on which positions are going off the board... if RB's are going fast, snatch one up... same with any other position.

You gotta play the picks on how your opposition is picking.

Obviously if everyone is picking up RB's and you go QB or WR... yes you will have a great QB or WR... but the RB's that are left over will be terrible.

Just gotta go with the flow.

Dicky McElephant
08-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Also, it depends on which positions are going off the board... if RB's are going fast, snatch one up... same with any other position.

Obviously if everyone is picking up RB's and you go QB or WR... yes you will have a great QB or WR... but the RB's that are left over will be terrible.

Ehhhh.....not so much. If RBs are going fast....that means great players at other positions are falling. It's not like you can't get 3 top flight WRs and then trade one for a RB.

I love it when someone starts a panic because I'll grab another position instead of following the flock.

Buck
08-27-2009, 02:01 PM
Roy Williams doesn't suck. Sorry he didn't do good getting traded mid season to a new team, with a new playbook. Hes looked good in the preseason, and I guarantee he's a #1 quality WR.

Mile High Mania
08-27-2009, 02:02 PM
I yeah I love positional runs early in a draft like this...

Depending on the scoring rules, there *might* be 1 QB taken in R1 of this draft... just based on things I've seen over the last few weeks.

Rest assured that 2 and maybe 3 WRs will be gone by 10 or 12 (Fitz / AJ / CJ). AP, Forte, Turner, MJD, D Williams - those 5 guys are gone quick.

The worst thing you can do is panic and stick to a plan just because you're afraid to go WR WR or something like that when the situation says you should. Don't take a RB earlier than you have him slotted b/c you feel weird going in another direction.

Mile High Mania
08-27-2009, 02:05 PM
Roy Williams doesn't suck. Sorry he didn't do good getting traded mid season to a new team, with a new playbook. Hes looked good in the preseason, and I guarantee he's a #1 quality WR.

I'll take Roy as a #3 WR on any of my teams this year... don't trust him enough as a #2. Roy hasn't had that "huge" year yet, matter of fact - his best year would be considered 'about average' for your top 5 WRs. That year was 2006 for him and now he's the #1 target once again, in an offense that has Witten (teams best pure receiving option), Bennett an up and coming target and those RBs...

I think he'll have a fine year as a #3 option.

Sofa King
08-27-2009, 02:34 PM
Or find some sucker Cowboys fan and trade him Williams for a RB.

the cowboy fans i've drafted with won't touch williams with a 10 foot pole...

maybe that should tell me something...

Delano
08-27-2009, 03:49 PM
I'll take Roy as a #3 WR on any of my teams this year... don't trust him enough as a #2. Roy hasn't had that "huge" year yet, matter of fact - his best year would be considered 'about average' for your top 5 WRs. That year was 2006 for him and now he's the #1 target once again, in an offense that has Witten (teams best pure receiving option), Bennett an up and coming target and those RBs...

I think he'll have a fine year as a #3 option.

What do you think of Romo this year? A lot of places have him in the 2nd/3rd tier (mid 4th-6th round).

CosmicPal
08-27-2009, 04:37 PM
There's too many variables, but as the previous poster mentioned- it will depend upon your own draft position, and more importantly, what the other guys are drafting. Rule: Don't follow a trend; instead, be a trend setter.

I usually do my homework before the season and I will look at how deep the RB group is compared to how deep the WR group is. If one group is much deeper than the other, then I will draft early in the group that isn't. But, again, it depends upon where you are drafting in the order, and who's available. Stick with your gut instincts, and stick with your draft board.

Lastly, don't concern yourself with the RBBC thing- sure, a lot of the starting RBs are going to come out on plays, but they still do a lot more than your average WR.

Mile High Mania
08-28-2009, 06:11 AM
Allow be to take a back step on the Roy topic... that's bad news if he's really out for much time and it will hurt Romo. That's why they should call Bowlen and give him what they deserve for Crybaby Marshall.

Valiant
08-28-2009, 11:16 PM

No, Unless there is still a great RB left you do not do that.. You go grab the elite WR or QB.. If you are drafting 8/9/10 in a ten man league you do not follow everybody elses lead, if you do you will lose unless injuries knock them out..

To the OP, your draft position means everything in the way you draft..