PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs wind down toughest week

Tribal Warfare
08-28-2009, 12:36 AM
Chiefs notebook: Chiefs wind down toughest week (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1410060.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

With the conclusion of practice Thursday, the Chiefs began to wind down what Todd Haley called the toughest week of the season. The Chiefs today will have their usual day-before-a-game walkthrough and Saturday play their third preseason game against Seattle at Arrowhead Stadium.

“It was week four of hitting each other twice a day most days, it’s hot, they’re getting tired of seeing the same guys, there’s anxiety over jobs,” Haley said. “But I’m looking for guys with staying power, guys that can sustain. That’s why camp has to be a tough camp, to decipher or find out who those individuals are. And I think we’re starting to find that out.”

The first roster cut, from 80 players to 75, is looming. The Chiefs will have to make their first round of trims Tuesday.

“You spend a lot of down time looking at the depth chart and just kind of sorting through those numbers,” Haley said. “That’ll be a big job for all of us in the next couple of weeks. It’s tough, but it’s tough for everyone. Every team’s got the same problem.”

Succop has it made

With a strong training camp and preseason, rookie kicker Ryan Succop appears to have little to worry about as far as job security. His kickoffs have generally been solid, and he’s shown the necessary accuracy on field-goal attempts.

Succop made all three of his field-goal attempts in the two preseason games, including a longest of 47 yards. He said he missed only four tries in all of the training-camp practices.

“We probably kick five a day,” he said. “So it’s going well.

“There’s still a lot of work to be done. In all areas of kicking, you always want to improve, You never stay the same, so you’re always trying to get better whether it’s hitting kickoffs deeper in the end zone or with more hang time or better direction or being more accurate on field goals.”

But Croyle isn’t sure

Brodie Croyle has been the best quarterback on the field during several days of camp but still admitted to some anxiety over whether he will make the regular-season roster.

“I honestly have no clue,” Croyle said. “I feel pretty good about the camp I’ve had. But they’ve made it abundantly clear nobody is safe.”

Haley wouldn’t disclose the quarterback rotation for Saturday night’s game other than to say Matt Cassel would start and play into the third quarter. Judging from Thursday’s practice, Tyler Thigpen will replace Cassel and be followed by Matt Gutierrez.

Cassel, Thigpen and Gutierrez all took snaps during the offensive portion of practice. Croyle worked only with the scout team.

SNR
08-28-2009, 12:43 AM
Thigpen's just a front.

Pioli's trying to ascertain maximum value for Thigpen so he can turn around and say, "Now CROYLE here has got to be worth a 3rd rounder if Thigpen is a 4th rounder. Right?"

KCrockaholic
08-28-2009, 12:50 AM
Thigpen's just a front.

Pioli's trying to ascertain maximum value for Thigpen so he can turn around and say, "Now CROYLE here has got to be worth a 3rd rounder if Thigpen is a 4th rounder. Right?"

Atleast our management is using their brain for the first time in 20 years.

alanm
08-28-2009, 12:59 AM
Croyle's made the team. I think they want to showcase Thigpen for a trade. Gutierrez on the other hand may be playing for a PS spot.

jAZ
08-28-2009, 01:12 AM
Thigpen's just a front.

From what I read Haley say, when he pulls a guy who's basically shown what needs to be seen (in this case Croyle, before I think it was Toomer) from extensive game time, it's because he wants a closer look at the guys behind him.

I think he's just trying to make a decision as to who he should keep at the 3rd QB and leaving the trade stuff to Pioli.

JuicesFlowing
08-28-2009, 01:17 AM
I'm wondering how many other Mr. Irrelevants have made the final roster .... Granted, the kicker position is probably the easiest one to make for the last pick in the draft, but it's still pretty impressive.

KCrockaholic
08-28-2009, 01:33 AM
Croyle's made the team. I think they want to showcase Thigpen for a trade. Gutierrez on the other hand may be playing for a PS spot.

So your saying we carry 2 QBs or did I read that wrong? With our O-line we might even need 4 QBs

KCrockaholic
08-28-2009, 01:34 AM
I'm wondering how many other Mr. Irrelevants have made the final roster .... Granted, the kicker position is probably the easiest one to make for the last pick in the draft, but it's still pretty impressive.

We might have the most relevant mr. Irrelevant of all time on our hands... But lets not get too ahead of ourselves.

Swazey
08-28-2009, 02:38 AM
We might have the most relevant mr. Irrelevant of all time on our hands... But lets not get too ahead of ourselves.

I don't know the history of past Mr. Irrelevants, but I'm super excited to watch Succop this year. I'm gonna have to get used to kickoffs ending up in the end zone instead of the 10 year line.

ChiefJustice
08-28-2009, 02:43 AM
I don't know the history of past Mr. Irrelevants, but I'm super excited to watch Succop this year. I'm gonna have to get used to kickoffs ending up in the end zone instead of the 10 year line.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/54/Jesus_facepalm.jpg

Raised On Riots
08-28-2009, 03:20 AM
Thigpen's just a front.

Totally agree. That said; Tyler is toast.

TEX
08-28-2009, 06:53 AM

Yep. Or the 20 for that matter...

CoMoChief
08-28-2009, 07:40 AM
We would be retarded to get rid of Croyle and keep Guitterrez

Reerun_KC
08-28-2009, 07:58 AM
We would be retarded to get rid of Croyle and keep Guitterrez

Yes....

Croyle is the best we have on the roster as a backup.... Which isnt saying much...

Guitterrez is the closest thing we have to a 3rd string.. At least he can run the pro set...

Thigpen? ROFL Nevermind...

Hog Farmer
08-28-2009, 08:36 AM
I think we end up keeping Croyle and Thigpen. Thigpen can make plays as he's shown. So what if they need to give him a spread offense. Opposing teams have to compensate for his ability to run. I think keeping Croyle will only result in another broken vagina during his first series and leaves us vulnerable. But he's made the roster.

Also It would be nice to finally have a solid kicking game. We've been long overdue. I think every kickoff so far has met the endzone. Also Haley must really like what he sees if he's not keeping competition at that spot.

InChiefsHell
08-28-2009, 08:51 AM
Croyle would be great if he had the line that Trent Green had. Since he doesn't we all need to hope that Cassell is a tough bastard, cuz I do believe that Croyle makes this squad and Thiggy is going to play in this weekends game in order to showcase him for a trade. Pioli has a hard on for former Pats, so I see us keeping Gutierrez.

Thiggy is odd man out.

KCDC
08-28-2009, 09:53 AM
If they want to showcase Thigpen, it makes sense. Maybe they can get a 3rd rounder for him if he plays well versus Seattle. If another team won't pony up a decent pick (or an OL/WR in trade) then we should keep him over Gutierrez. Gutes is more likely to clear waivers for our PS.

Baby Lee
08-28-2009, 11:15 AM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/54/Jesus_facepalm.jpg

http://www.slightlystellar.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/prayer-service-jesus-weeping.jpg

Mr. Krab
08-28-2009, 11:24 AM
I'm glad they are still working hard, they need it.

DaneMcCloud
08-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Gutierrez on the other hand may be playing for a PS spot.

I don't think that Gutierrez is eligible for a practice squad spot

BarrySPAMAID
08-28-2009, 05:02 PM
As someone eluded to earlier, this game will probably showcase Thigpen for most of the second half of the game. I think Coyle has made this team, and although many pull the injury card out about Croyle ( which is fair ), I feel Croyle has really done a good job in the role that he is being prepared for.

I would like to see Thigpen stay, but it looks like his time may be short in a CHIEFS uniform. That said, Good luck Tyler, I enjoyed hanging out with you at camp. Your a cool guy.

RustShack
08-28-2009, 06:18 PM
I would rather just keep a QB that doesn't need the spread... I'd rather keep running a traditional offense rather than just screw everyone else over in the long run learning a bunch of different offenses.

milkman
08-28-2009, 06:36 PM
As someone eluded to earlier, this game will probably showcase Thigpen for most of the second half of the game. I think Coyle has made this team, and although many pull the injury card out about Croyle ( which is fair ), I feel Croyle has really done a good job in the role that he is being prepared for.

I would like to see Thigpen stay, but it looks like his time may be short in a CHIEFS uniform. That said, Good luck Tyler, I enjoyed hanging out with you at camp. [/b]Your[/b] a cool guy.

Two of my pet peaves are right here.

"Your" is possesive.
"You're" is "You are"

It's "Alluded", not "Eluded".

Nothing was evaded, except perhaps English.

orange
08-28-2009, 06:54 PM
It's "Alluded", not "Eluded".

He should elide it and start over.

boogblaster
08-28-2009, 07:12 PM
Yep the kicker is a keeper .. The QBs are as they are .. Cassel and Croyle and whoever ..

scott free
08-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Glad to hear that Brokie will likely make the cut, 'if' the guy finally grows into himself & avoids more big injuries he'll be an A+ backup.

The character & talent is there.

Douche Baggins
08-28-2009, 07:25 PM
The character & talent is there.

SKIN THAT SMOKEWAGON

*is secretly rooting for Brodie to steal Cassel's job*

Raised On Riots
08-28-2009, 07:28 PM
SKIN THAT SMOKEWAGON

Brodie is stealing LJ's job, you just haven't heard about it yet.

scott free
08-28-2009, 07:29 PM
SKIN THAT SMOKEWAGON

Heh, Cassel will have to lose 7 in a row & get caught putting the mule to Piolis wife.

Douche Baggins
08-28-2009, 07:32 PM
Heh, Cassel will have to lose 7 in a row & get caught putting the mule to Piolis wife.

I just want a country bumpkin under center. It's tradition.

http://www.nndb.com/people/481/000086223/baugh-1-sized.jpg

http://nbcsportsmedia2.msnbc.com/j/NBCSports/Sections/Personal/Jervay,%20John/NFL/Curran%27s%20actors%20and%20NFL/080515_Terry-Bradshaw.hmedium.jpg

http://blogs.bet.com/news/playahater/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/brett-favre.jpg

KCrockaholic
08-28-2009, 07:35 PM

Thats gonna suck to get used too. I hate changes like this.