PDA

View Full Version : Football Lions coach says Cunningham will help team get an advantage

Coogs
08-28-2009, 07:41 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1410073.html

Lions coach says Cunningham will help team get an advantage
Star News Services

Amy Sancetta
ALLEN PARK, Mich. | The Detroit Lions, who didn’t win a game last year, will have the element of surprise going for them this season.

Detroit coach Jim Schwartz has four words for why opponents have reason to fear the Lions this season: Gunther Cunningham/Scott Linehan.

Schwartz said Thursday that the Lions’ new coordinators have created an advantage because opponents can’t be sure what schemes they’re going to use this season.

Schwartz insisted defensive coordinator Cunningham and offensive coordinator Linehan, both of whom have been NFL head coaches, will continue to use basic formations in the final two preseason games in part to keep the New Orleans Saints guessing.

“I don’t see a big rush to ruin that dynamic,” Schwartz said Thursday.

The Lions open the regular season at New Orleans, where they will try to win their first game since Dec. 23, 2007.

Schwartz predicts Detroit’s early opponents will have a hard time planning to counter what Cunningham and Linehan will do because both have had success with different systems and various teams.

“When you look at Scott Linehan, do you go back and look at the Rams last year? Do you look at Minnesota? Do you look at Miami? What is it?” Schwartz asked. “When you look at our defense, do you go to Tennessee last year? Do you go to Kansas City last year? Do you go back farther to Tennessee when Gunther and I were together?

“All those things work to our advantage — the fact that there’s not 100 percent certainty of what they’re going to see on the field.”

One thing is certain: Cunningham, the Chiefs’ defensive coordinator for eight seasons, including 2004-08, and head coach during 1999-2000, will let his emotions be seen and heard.

Cunningham said he “exploded” at a meeting earlier this week when he planned to simply review the film from last week’s preseason loss at Cleveland with his unit. But he got upset by a lot of missed tackles and some lackluster effort.

“They’re not going to play here if they can’t tackle,” Cunningham said. “Our coaching staff’s not going to tolerate it.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lying prick!

Count Zarth
08-28-2009, 07:43 AM
Gunther would trade for Pollard RIGHT NOW if he could.

He's full of shit.

CoMoChief
08-28-2009, 07:47 AM
I'd trade them Pollard for Ernie Sims straight up. hehehe

Bane
Let us pray!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

KCtotheSB
Lions coach says Cunningham will help team get an advantage

I totally agree. The Lions definitely have a leg-up on going 0-16 again.

Who in that Lions organization looked at our defense the last couple seasons and said "OH. MY. GOD. Tell my secretary to get in here so she can get me on the phone with whoever coached that awesome defense! NOW!"

MOhillbilly
to bad the lions dont have talent or coaches who can teach. Two schemes?LMAO

Chiefnj2
08-28-2009, 07:48 AM
That first team defense gave up 20 points to the Browns last week.

Sofa King
08-28-2009, 07:49 AM
"Schwartz said Thursday that the Lions’ new coordinators have created an advantage because opponents can’t be sure what schemes they’re going to use this season."

even gunther doesnt know what scheme he's going to use.. he hasn't had a "scheme" since the 90's...

HC_Chief
08-28-2009, 08:07 AM
hehe
hehehehehe
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
<h1>HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!</h1>

Bane
08-28-2009, 08:18 AM
Just wait till they get their first QB sack in the reg season,we will have to sit through thread after thread of bull shit about why Goonther should be our DC!!!LMAO

dirk digler
08-28-2009, 08:31 AM
Gunther is a dumbass. Since when did he care about tackling?

Frazod
08-28-2009, 08:31 AM
I guess that laughter I hear is coming from Soldier Field. LMAO

LOCOChief
08-28-2009, 08:33 AM
Our defense will be much improved if not simply for the fact that Gunther is gone. His guys didn't play hard for him and they never really did, this was especially evident when he was HC.

Spicy McHaggis
08-28-2009, 08:38 AM
Poor Detroit. They don't even know what's coming.

Hog Farmer
08-28-2009, 08:41 AM
Gunther was handicapped by Herm fucking Edwards. When he had a real coach (Shottenheimer) he was good. Of course we had better talent at that time, but hey, you can only make shit salad with shit.

dirk digler
08-28-2009, 08:54 AM
Gunther was handicapped by Herm fucking Edwards. When he had a real coach (Shottenheimer) he was good. Of course we had better talent at that time, but hey, you can only make shit salad with shit.

Well Gunther helped pick the talent like Pat Surtain and Kendrell Bell. LMAO

booger
08-28-2009, 09:05 AM
Cunningham upset with Lions' dismal tackling
BY NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Lions defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham drove home his message over and over again.

He screamed it to the players in loud and colorful language during meetings. He expressed it to reporters more calmly Wednesday. But even then, as he repeated it several times, his blood started to boil.

"I'm flat (ticked) off, if you want to know the truth," Cunningham said.

His message is simple.

"If you can't tackle, you can't play defense," Cunningham said, "and you definitely are not going to play here on defense."

The Lions missed tackles and gave up big plays in their first two exhibitions -- most notably a 40-yard touchdown run to Atlanta's Michael Turner and an 81-yard TD run to Cleveland's James Davis.

If you were reminded of last year, when the Lions had the NFL's worst defense and went 0-16, you weren't the only one.

"That's what's happened here in the past," Cunningham said. "I think they played hard. I saw that tape. But there were breakdowns, and somebody wouldn't want to tackle the guy. That's not going to happen. I'm just not going to let it happen."

Cunningham said he could tolerate mental errors but not shying away from contact. He considers it an attitude problem that traces to today's society in general.

"Coaches aren't tough enough on the players," said Cunningham, 63. "If a guy misses a tackle, 'That's all right, you'll get him next time.' I think that's a load of garbage. ...

"Our social makeup right now is, you tell the young kids, 'Don't worry about who wins and loses.' Well, when you get out on this level, that team on the other side is not there to lose. They want to beat you. I think it's how they grow up sometimes."

Cunningham said four players "turned down" the opportunity to tackle Davis. He didn't identify them. But a TV replay shows cornerback Ramzee Robinson and safety LaMarcus Hicks missing tackles, then safety Stuart Schweigert racing after Davis. The view is too narrow to see the rest of the field.

Robinson said he wasn't shying from contact, pointing out he had tackled the same running back earlier. He said his mistake was aiming for the inside leg, allowing Davis to bounce outside, when he should have aimed for the outside leg, forcing Davis toward other defenders.

He tried to take Cunningham's criticism in stride. Earlier in camp, Cunningham praised his physical play during practice.

"That's just how Gun is," Robinson said. "That's the type of guy he is. He is going to definitely put pressure on us not to make those types of mistakes, because at the end of the day, you don't really want to be coached on tackling. That's something we all should know how to do."

At the end of the day, there is only so much Cunningham can do, too. He said he would go to coach Jim Schwartz and general manager Martin Mayhew about players who could not get the job done.

But the Lions can't cut everybody, and where are they going to get better players at this time of year? For the most part, they have make the best out of what they have.

"People aren't going to let good players go," Cunningham said. "So we're going to have to work our way through."

Contact NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA: 313-222-8831 or ncotsonika@freepress.com. Check out his Lions blog at freep.com/section/blog21.
http://www.freep.com/article/20090827/SPORTS01/908270400/1049/Cunningham-upset-with-Lions--dismal-tackling&template=fullarticle

alpha_omega
08-28-2009, 09:08 AM
... a lot of missed tackles and some lackluster effort

Sound familiar?

TEX
08-28-2009, 09:09 AM
Whatever Gunther...:rolleyes:

dirk digler
08-28-2009, 09:12 AM
Good god Gunther is so full of shit

Demonpenz
08-28-2009, 09:16 AM
he's going to get fired via twitter this time

booger
08-28-2009, 09:31 AM
LMAOhe's going to get fired via twitter this time

siberian khatru
08-28-2009, 09:38 AM
Notes: Cunningham returns to resurrect Chiefs 'D'

Gunther Cunningham can't go anywhere in Kansas City without fans coming up to him, usually all with the same question:

Can you turn that defense around?

"It's the question they all want to have answered," said Cunningham, who is back for his second stint at the team's defensive coordinator. "I can't hide from it."

In returning to Kansas City, Cunningham is being hailed as a savior, the man who can finally get the "D" back in defense.

The Chiefs went 13-3 last year, but the defense had little to do with it. While the offense was rolling up huge numbers, the total defense was abysmal, finishing 29th in the league. The worst of it came in a playoff loss to the Indianapolis Colts in which the Colts did not punt the entire game.

Talk about demoralizing.

It also led to defensive coordinator Greg Robinson stepping down -- with a foot in the butt -- and brought Cunningham back to Kansas City under coach Dick Vermeil. Cunningham had a previous stint as the team's defensive coordinator and also was the team's head coach 1999 and 2000, going 16-16 in two seasons before being fired, something he learned about on a website.

One would think that would lead to some bad feelings, but when the Chiefs called this spring to bring him back, it didn't take Cunningham long to decide to leave his position as linebackers coach of the Tennessee Titans. The chance to resurrect a defense was too good to pass up -- no matter the history.

And now, as the Chiefs ready to open the 2004 season, Cunningham just may be the biggest acquisition in the league this offseason. If he can improve the Kansas City defense into the mid-teens of the rankings, they should be a deep playoff team provided offensive stars Priest Holmes and Tony Gonzalez stay healthy.

Cunningham's Chiefs defenses led the league in scoring defense twice, once in 1995 and again in 1997 when he worked under Marty Schottenheimer. He knows how to formulate a unit, relying on an attacking mode that features a playbook thick as a phone book. For example, he said last year's defense featured five defensive back schemes; his has 60.

"Dick had a staff meeting the other day and he was saying how I had the biggest defensive playbook he's seen," said Cunningham. "It's two four-inch binders. It's a big, heavy book, and the other coaches all joked about it."

Cunningham's defense features an abundance of blitzes, but, like any coordinator, he prefers to get pressure with his front four. That's a challenge because the four projected starting linemen had a combined total of 12 sacks last season.

That's where Cunningham's guidance will come into play. His main task will be to get underachieving players, especially tackle Ryan Sims, to play up to their expectations. Sims, the team's first-round pick in 2002, did not play as well as the Chiefs had hoped last season. He got to the quarterback infrequently, and the Chiefs were gashed by the run.

"Sims had three sacks last year," said Cunningham. "That's not acceptable. He has to play better."

Safeties Greg Wesley and Jerome Woods are two other players who didn't play as well as they had in the past. Their tackling was shoddy and sloppy, but you can bet Cunningham will change that.

Before offseason work began, Cunningham watched hours of tape to get a better idea of how his players performed last season. In doing so, he jotted down areas each player needed to improve.

By the close of the offseason work, many of those players had improved on most of those areas. Now the key is to carry it over into the season.

"I was pleased with how they worked," said Cunningham. "They're a fun group to work with. They want to get better."

Improvement in each player will be vital, since the Chiefs did little to add to the players already on the roster. All 11 starters are back -- middle linebacker Mike Maslowski is coming off an injury that forced him out in the second half -- with little change expected, which means Cunningham will be challenged in a big way.

Cunningham has 36 years of coaching experience, but it will be put to the test. If he turns the defense around, he will be hailed as a hero. If not, the Chiefs might once again waste a premier offensive season as they continue to struggle to stop people.

"I'm excited about this chance," said Cunningham. "I know we have work to do, but it's a challenge we're excited about."

Can he do it?

Check back in late January, when anything less than a Super Bowl berth would be a disappointment for the Chiefs.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/7533756

Mr. Krab
08-28-2009, 09:52 AM
Good god Gunther is so full of shit
This

DaWolf
08-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Same old Dumbther...

KCDC
08-28-2009, 10:08 AM
I like Gunther, but I think Schwartz is drinking the Kool-aid. His team is in bad shape; but, the good news is that it can't get worse than last year. Look for them to win 3 or 4 maybe.

Coogs
08-28-2009, 10:09 AM
The Lions missed tackles and gave up big plays in their first two exhibitions -- most notably a 40-yard touchdown run to Atlanta's Michael Turner and an 81-yard TD run to Cleveland's James Davis.

I see he is still in charge or the "Career Day" defense he ran in KC.

Frosty
08-28-2009, 10:44 AM
I really liked Earnie Sims coming out of FSU. It's too bad that Goonther is going to ruin him. :shake:

HemiEd
08-28-2009, 11:54 AM
I only need to know one thing about Gunther's approach in Detroit. Is he going to be on the sidelines, or up in the booth?
We all know that makes a huge difference on how the D plays.

Frosty
08-28-2009, 12:31 PM
I only need to know one thing about Gunther's approach in Detroit. Is he going to be on the sidelines, or up in the booth?
We all know that makes a huge difference on how the D plays.

He'll be on the sideline so he can personally rip the sleeves off the players and inspect who is growing a beard during the game.

DaWolf
08-28-2009, 01:43 PM
Here's what I'd worry about if I were a Lions fan:

Defensive Coordinator - Gunther Cunningham (hasn't coordinated a good D since 1997)
Linebackers - Matt Burke (Has 6 years NFL experience in Quality Control and Administrative Assistance)
Defensive Assistant - Don Clemons (Has been with the Lions for 25 years)
Defensive Line - Bob Karmelowicz (Coached KC's wonderful defensive lines up to 2005, after which he moved on to the DL coach for Houston's 24th ranked D in 2006, whereupon he was moved to Special Assistant to the Head Coach for 2007-08)
Assistant Defensive Line - Kris Kocurek (1st year in the NFL)
Assistant Secondary - Daron Roberts (3rd year in NFL, spent previous 2 years as a volunteer on Chiefs defensive staff)
Secondary - Tim Walton (1st year in NFL)

I don't know if they were just looking for lack of experience or what, but from what I have seen out of Gunther, this is not something I'd be excited about if this were his staff here. He and Schwartz are probably going to have their fingers in everything out of necessity, and I'm not so sure that's a good idea...

Mr. Krab
08-28-2009, 01:53 PM

Defensive Coordinator - Gunther Cunningham (hasn't coordinated a good D since 1997)
Linebackers - Matt Burke (Has 6 years NFL experience in Quality Control and Administrative Assistance)
Defensive Line - Bob Karmelowicz (Coached KC's wonderful defensive lines up to 2005, after which he moved on to the DL coach for Houston's 24th ranked D in 2006, whereupon he was moved to Special Assistant to the Head Coach for 2007-08)
Assistant Secondary - Daron Roberts (3rd year in NFL, spent previous 2 years as a volunteer on Chiefs defensive staff)

I don't know if they were just looking for lack of experience or what, but from what I have seen out of Gunther, this is not something I'd be excited about if this were his staff here. He and Schwartz are probably going to have their fingers in everything out of necessity, and I'm not so sure that's a good idea...
Wow, that is showing every sign of "implosion" material that i've seen. Unless Swartz is just nails on defense he's in trouble.

Kerberos
08-28-2009, 01:58 PM
[url
Detroit coach Jim Schwartz has four words for why opponents have reason to fear the Lions this season: Gunther Cunningham/Scott Linehan.

Clueless Bastard :shake:

Coogs
08-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Clueless Bastard :shake:

Almost feel sorry for the Lions fans. This year you get C. Gunninghams defense and the 2008 Rams offense. Just the possible thought that an 0-16 season last year might have been more fun to watch than this seasons team is just down right scary.

googlegoogle
08-28-2009, 02:26 PM
funny article. 'We'll bamboozle our opponents!' haha.

Frazod
08-28-2009, 02:39 PM

That's horrific. I mean, it's like the scene in Major League where the owner assembles the worst team possible, only this is..... real. Ugh.

Poor Lions fans. :shake:

Not only does Charlie Brown not get the kick the football, but Lucy rammed a 2x4 up his ass for good measure.