PDA

View Full Version : Football League's new rule for Cowboys video board: "Do over!"

KCtotheSB
08-28-2009, 08:19 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/28/league-adopts-do-over-rule-for-cowboys-video-board/

League adopts "do over" rule for Cowboys video board
Posted by Mike Florio on August 28, 2009 9:45 AM ET
In a memo sent to all teams, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has announced a decision regarding potential collisions between the game ball and the video board at Cowboys stadium.

A league source tells us that the video board won't be moved, and the "do over" rule will apply.

Specifically, if a ball strikes the video board, the play will be dead at that point and the down will be replayed from the previous spot. No penalties will count, other than personal fouls.

Also, the clock will reset to the time reflected before the "do over." (And that makes sense; otherwise, a team with the lead could have told its punter to slam the ball into the video board over and over again.)

If the officials on the field don't notice the ball striking the video board, the replay assistant will be empowered to trigger a replay review -- even if the incident occurs outside the final two minutes of each half, the normal time period during which the replay assistant has the power to call upon the referee to assume the position at the portable replay booth.

And if the replay official doesn't believe the ball struck the video board but the head coach of either team thinks otherwise, a red-flag challenge will be available.

As the source pointed out, there's a hole in this rule. If the incident happens with fewer than two minutes remaining in either half, and if the replay assistant doesn't notice the collision, the coaches might not be able to challenge the outcome.

The memo indicates that the rule will apply for the balance of the 2009 season, including all remaining preseason games, all regular-season games, and any postseason games that might be played at the new venue. Goodell cited Rule 3, Section 1 in taking the unconventional approach of altering the official playing rules beyond the normal offseason procedure for doing so.

The issue likely will be revisited after the season, and the resolution of the situation for 2010 surely will be influenced by the frequency with which the punting plays in Dallas evoke memories of the old "Breakout" video game.

Regardless, the powers-that-be need to be confident in the rules by next year. Even if the Cowboys don't earn any home playoff games in 2010, there's one fairly significant postseason game that will be played at the new stadium in February 2011.

I'd be somewhat ok with this, except it's the most conceited and pompous owner/team in sports, Jerry Jones and the Cowboys. So **** 'em....

Buck
08-28-2009, 08:22 AM
Fucking stupid.

notorious
08-28-2009, 08:24 AM
Jones played by the NFL's rules. NFL dropped the ball on this one.

Jones may be rich, but why should he have the finacial burden of fixing a NFL mistake?

Buck
The memo indicates that the rule will apply for the balance of the 2009 season, including all remaining preseason games, all regular-season games, and any postseason games that might be played at the new venue. Goodell cited Rule 3, Section 1 in taking the unconventional approach of altering the official playing rules beyond the normal offseason procedure for doing so.

I dont think they have to worry about the bolded part.

Sully
Free time out.

Buck

Jones may be rich, but why should he have the finacial burden of fixing a NFL mistake?

He shouldn't, the NFL should. But instead they are creating ground rules for a stadium. I'm pretty sure this is the first NFL stadium that has its own specific set of rules.

notorious
08-28-2009, 08:25 AM
I am glad they fixed the time problem, though.

Demonpenz
so is ncaa going to do the same thing?

Mr. Arrowhead
WTF, this isnt backyard football, this is the NFL

notorious
08-28-2009, 08:26 AM
He shouldn't, the NFL should. But instead they are creating ground rules for a stadium. I'm pretty sure this is the first NFL stadium that has its own specific set of rules.

Agreed, it is a bunch of Bulls****.

Buck
08-28-2009, 08:27 AM
Free time out.

Good point.

Lets say the clock is running and they punt the ball with 4:00 left.

When the clock resets, is the time running from 4:00? Is the clock stopped? Is the clock running from whatever time was left after the previous play (the 3rd down play)?

If they punt the ball and it hits the scoreboard, on the redo, do they have to punt it again?

Can a coach use this time to think about sending out the offense on 4th down?

Skip Towne
08-28-2009, 08:28 AM
If the ball lands on top of the board and stays there is it a ground rule double?

HC_Chief
08-28-2009, 08:28 AM
Good point.

Lets say the clock is running and they punt the ball with 4:00 left.

When the clock resets, is the time running from 4:00? Is the clock stopped? Is the clock running from whatever time was left after the previous play (the 3rd down play)?

If they punt the ball and it hits the scoreboard, on the redo, do they have to punt it again?

Can a coach use this time to think about sending out the offense on 4th down?

The clock would start as soon as the refs respot the ball.

Mr. Arrowhead
08-28-2009, 08:29 AM
the NFL is lucky, that Colquitt dont get to punt there this year

Demonpenz
08-28-2009, 08:30 AM
The clock would start as soon as the refs respot the ball.

I would try to hit it just to give my RB and WR a rest before a crucial 4th down

Chiefnj2
It doesn't make much sense since U2 is playing at the stadium in early October and U2 has agreed to raise the scoreboard so they can get their stage and materials into the stadium.

Bane
So if youre out of time outs just go out for a punt and kick the video board while your OC changes the play call.

HC_Chief
08-28-2009, 08:31 AM
I would try to hit it just to give my RB and WR a rest before a crucial 4th down

How? A QB would have to really heave the ball to hit the scoreboard, and what if he misses? That's like a punt... it will come down in the middle of the field. Easy pickings for an NFL DB.

Buck
08-28-2009, 08:32 AM
How? A QB would have to really heave the ball to hit the scoreboard, and what if he misses? That's like a punt... it will come down in the middle of the field. Easy pickings for an NFL DB.

http://www.meikathon.net/roflmao/facepalm.jpg

HC_Chief
08-28-2009, 08:33 AM
heh, one of the comments on the article:

"So Jerry Jones will renovate his face but not his scoreboard?"

HC_Chief
http://www.meikathon.net/roflmao/facepalm.jpg

LOL
I obviously missed it :D

allen_kcCard
If I ever wanted to fake a punt there, first thing I would do is have the punter come out and nail the scoreboard, then on the redo run the fake.

Buck
08-28-2009, 08:35 AM
Pretty much they aren't going to raise it until somebody gets injured on the "redo."

Bane
08-28-2009, 08:35 AM
Pretty much they aren't going to raise it until somebody gets injured on the "redo."

Lets hope its not Homo,I mean Romo.

DaFace
08-28-2009, 08:39 AM
I don't blame them for taking this stance. It will give them an idea of how severe the problem really is. If they're hitting the damn thing every other game, I'd imagine that the NFL will pony up the cash to move it next year. But if it only gets hit once or twice a season, they might just keep the rule in place.

Demonpenz
08-28-2009, 08:41 AM
i bet it eventually falls on all the players and the cowboys insurance company has to pay out 400 billion dollars in liability dollars

Braincase
08-28-2009, 08:46 AM
I'm hoping the punters slam enough kicks into to it that it regularly malfunctions. I'm also looking forward to the first pr0n hack of that thing during gametime.

Buck
08-28-2009, 08:55 AM
I'm hoping the punters slam enough kicks into to it that it regularly malfunctions. I'm also looking forward to the first pr0n hack of that thing during gametime.

pr0n hack would be good, but there are kids in the stands.

Lets go with this instead.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h4AuN6pN1kY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h4AuN6pN1kY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Rain Man
08-28-2009, 09:06 AM
Specifically, if a ball strikes the video board, the play will be dead at that point and the down will be replayed from the previous spot. No penalties will count, other than personal fouls.

This is a bummer. It'd be cool if the punter punted into the screen just so the other ten guys could ambush and beat up the return team.

cdcox
08-28-2009, 09:17 AM
All the visiting punters should form an "I hit the score board club." They could even make t-shirts and shun the punters who didn't get it done.

loochy
08-28-2009, 09:29 AM
Jerry sucks.

Mr. Krab
08-28-2009, 10:17 AM
League bends over for Jerry.

beach tribe
08-28-2009, 10:20 AM

He shouldn't. The NFL should fix it, and get the damn screen out of the fuqin way.

BigMeatballDave
08-28-2009, 10:31 AM
Jerry should die in a fire. Why should the league fix it? It wasn't the leagues idea to place that thing there.

MahiMike
08-28-2009, 10:33 AM
Hilarious. Can't wait for the 30 minute game-delay when one coach claims it hit the screen and they have to review it.

Buck
08-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Jerry should die in a fire. Why should the league fix it? It wasn't the leagues idea to place that thing there.

There are league rules which state how close a sign may be to the field, and he built the sign within those specifications.

Mr. Krab
08-28-2009, 10:40 AM
I hope all the punters gets together in a secret meeting and decide that everyone has to hit the scoreboard at least once each game. By the end of the season his stupid scoreboard should be a battered mess. LMAO

BigMeatballDave
08-28-2009, 10:40 AM
There are league rules which state how close a sign may be to the field, and he built the sign within those specifications.Ah, I see. I missed that part. Jerry should still die in a fire though...:)

KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN
08-28-2009, 10:42 AM
You can bet Jerry will pay to have the scoreboard raised. The first time Dallas loses a game because a punt hit the scoreboard and was rekicked. The damn thing will be raised before their next home game. I just hope it happens in their first regular season home game.

notorious
08-28-2009, 10:46 AM
You can bet Jerry will pay to have the scoreboard raised. The first time Dallas loses a game because a punt hit the scoreboard and was rekicked. The damn thing will be raised before their next home game. I just hope it happens in their first regular season home game.

In Dallas, it's all about appearances. There are a lot of $30,000 millionaires running around due to this fact.

With that said, do you really think the Jones wants his 1.2 Billion stadium being the laughing stock of the NFL every Sunday? If he doesn't raise it, you know that this will be a constant news item.

C-Mac
08-28-2009, 11:30 AM
If the ball lands on top of the board and stays there is it a ground rule double?

I think the same rule also applies if it goes into the board without returning.

Basileus777
08-28-2009, 11:40 AM
It's not a new rule.

Micjones
08-28-2009, 12:22 PM

Yes and the offense gets to have two more players on the field on the change of possession.

This really is stupid.

Now a Punter has to be conscious of hitting the damn video board so "say goodbye to the 5 second hang time punt". UGH.

Roger Goodell = FAIL.

Chocolate Hog
08-28-2009, 12:48 PM
When someone gets hurt cuz of the stupid rule I hope they sue the NFL & Jerry Jones.

Garcia Bronco
08-28-2009, 12:51 PM
If I were a kicker I'd hit everytime until the league made that dumbshit move it.

BY1401
08-28-2009, 12:53 PM
I'd hit it.

Garcia Bronco
08-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Why would anyone have to "PAY" to move it? It's suspended by wires on a pulley system. It's be like moving the basket out of the way in a basket ball arena. They can left it today as a part of normal stadium operations. Good grief.

JuicesFlowing
08-28-2009, 01:05 PM
In Dallas, it's all about appearances. There are a lot of $30,000 millionaires running around due to this fact.

With that said, do you really think the Jones wants his 1.2 Billion stadium being the laughing stock of the NFL every Sunday? If he doesn't raise it, you know that this will be a constant news item.

And I think Jerry likes being in the news, the talk of the town, and ESPN's wet dream. He doesn't care.

vailpass
08-28-2009, 01:10 PM
I wonder, if this was Detroit instead of Dallas would they be getting this sort of leeway or would Commish have made them move it?

notorious
08-28-2009, 01:13 PM
And I think Jerry likes being in the news, the talk of the town, and ESPN's wet dream. He doesn't care.

Good point. Any news is attention for his Boys.

Besides, he isn't concerned about the jumbotron, he is concerned about how much $$$ it's going to take to get Shanny in town.

Lumpy
08-28-2009, 01:13 PM
There are league rules which state how close a sign may be to the field, and he built the sign within those specifications.

When I heard them talking about this on ESPN they went into a rant about "well perhaps it's time for the specs to be changed...". I couldn't help but blurt out, "yeah, ya fuggin think?!". :doh!:

Mecca
08-28-2009, 03:06 PM
I enjoy the outrage over a video board...

Mr. Krab
08-28-2009, 03:08 PM
I enjoy the outrage over a video board...
Mecca is like Jerry

Skip Towne
08-28-2009, 03:10 PM
I hate Jerry Jones because fuck him.

Mecca
08-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Mecca is like Jerry

Well Jerry isn't in the wrong here, his video board is above the league mandated limits.

I honestly doubt it would get this reaction if it was another owner/team.

JuicesFlowing
08-28-2009, 03:15 PM
The only problem I have with this whole ordeal is that now, this stadium is the only stadium in the league that there is an outside element that players have to think about. Even if you get a "do over" ... the special teams players are always going to be thinking about that $40 million TV above their heads ... there are going to be times when he punter is going to need to kick a high one ... oh, but it will be a "do over" ....

Demonpenz
08-28-2009, 03:17 PM
dallas is complete failmode

Pitt Gorilla
08-28-2009, 03:53 PM
What are the rules for a stadium? Could a running team play on a field with a 7' ceiling (or hang a bunch of scoreboards 7' from the field)? It would stink for the fans, but you'd certainly slow down a team's passing game.

DaFace
08-28-2009, 04:08 PM
What are the rules for a stadium? Could a running team play on a field with a 7' ceiling (or hang a bunch of scoreboards 7' from the field)? It would stink for the fans, but you'd certainly slow down a team's passing game.

From what I've heard, you can't have any obstructions within 85' of the playing field. The Dallas scoreboard is at 90'.

Basically, any outrage needs to be addressed to the NFL. If their standards are too low, then they need to change them, but you can't blame the Cowboys for following the rules.

Bwana
08-28-2009, 04:10 PM
That's bullshit.............move the ****ing board Sowboys.

acesn8s
08-28-2009, 04:12 PM
A kicker should put the punt right next to the board, hiding the ball from the returner. Then if the play goes their way it was all good but if it doesn't they can claim that it hit the board.

That thing will get moved as soon as the Cowboys get screwed out of a call. Bank on it!

Mecca
08-28-2009, 06:03 PM
It'll be pretty obvious if it hits the board....

I also don't see how this has "clock issues" like people mention. They respot the ball and wind it when the official tells them to.

Buck
08-28-2009, 06:12 PM
It'll be pretty obvious if it hits the board....

I also don't see how this has "clock issues" like people mention. They respot the ball and wind it when the official tells them to.

Redskins vs. Cowboys

Redskins up by 3, punt with 40 seconds left. The end of their 3rd down play the ball was spoted at 1:20. The kick hits the board and they respot the ball.

When they respot the ball, do they spot it w/ 1:20 left and the clock running, or 40 seconds with the clock running, or 1:20 with the clock stopped, or 40 seconds with the clock stopped?

Mecca
08-28-2009, 06:15 PM
Redskins vs. Cowboys

Redskins up by 3, punt with 40 seconds left. The end of their 3rd down play the ball was spoted at 1:20. The kick hits the board and they respot the ball.

When they respot the ball, do they spot it w/ 1:20 left and the clock running, or 40 seconds with the clock running, or 1:20 with the clock stopped, or 40 seconds with the clock stopped?

The time will be moved back to what it was when the ball was snapped and as soon as it's spotted the official will make the wind the clock motion and it'll start.

redsurfer11
08-28-2009, 07:14 PM
Automatic 50 yards for visiting team. 30 yards for the Home team till Jones fixes the problem.

Mecca
08-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Automatic 50 yards for visiting team. 30 yards for the Home team till Jones fixes the problem.

It's the leagues problem.....

Do people just not read that the thing is above the league specified standard?

Archie F. Swin
08-28-2009, 07:28 PM
is the damn thing so big it would prevent a punter from kicking from the 25 to the opponent's 25 on the opposite side of the field(toward the other sideline)?

RJ
08-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Free time out.

My first thought.

Baconeater
08-28-2009, 08:23 PM
It doesn't make much sense since U2 is playing at the stadium in early October and U2 has agreed to raise the scoreboard so they can get their stage and materials into the stadium.
I agree, wouldn't it make sense to just leave it raised afterwards?

JuicesFlowing
08-28-2009, 08:27 PM
I agree, wouldn't it make sense to just leave it raised afterwards?

No. Those guys that pay $800,000 for club boxes don't want to raise their head 1/2 inch to adjust to the new height. :)

Thig Lyfe
08-28-2009, 09:00 PM
I would like the whole thing to crash down on the field whenever they play the Raiders next.

Sully
08-28-2009, 10:27 PM
The time will be moved back to what it was when the ball was snapped and as soon as it's spotted the official will make the wind the clock motion and it'll start.

So you can use it like getting a first down in college.

I swear, I could see a team running a punter out with the regular offense during a 2-minute drill, have him punt the ball into the board, so the team gets a few seconds of time to get settled. On the punt, no one runs down field, they all just stay in their positions.
Is there a downside?
Yeah, it could be blocked, it could miss the board. But otherwise, it'd be a decent idea, IMO.

Mecca
08-28-2009, 10:31 PM
I guarantee you if someone does that there will be a rule about it the next day...but I seriously doubt anyone does that.

tk13
08-28-2009, 11:09 PM
It'll be interesting to see if someone uses it as a delay tactic. Most interesting idea I've heard is if your QB doesn't like how a play develops, he can chuck it into the board and try it again when they replay the down. That's actually a great idea.

Guru
08-28-2009, 11:30 PM
Hilarious. Can't wait for the 30 minute game-delay when one coach claims it hit the screen and they have to review it.Well, at least they will have the HUGE screen to check the replay on. ROFL

Valiant
08-29-2009, 02:15 AM
I don't blame them for taking this stance. It will give them an idea of how severe the problem really is. If they're hitting the damn thing every other game, I'd imagine that the NFL will pony up the cash to move it next year. But if it only gets hit once or twice a season, they might just keep the rule in place.

I already thought the thing could move, but they do not want to do the extra work since the picture frame is adjusted perfect for the people that pay the most money???

Personally if I am a rival, during the game and practice I would have my punter and whoever else see how much shit they can break on the thing.. If he has to pay money each game to reconnect lines and fix shit he will raise that fucker quicker then expected..

DaFace
08-29-2009, 08:49 AM
It'll be interesting to see if someone uses it as a delay tactic. Most interesting idea I've heard is if your QB doesn't like how a play develops, he can chuck it into the board and try it again when they replay the down. That's actually a great idea.

That is a good idea, but I'd think it would take one hell of an arm to get it up that high. I honestly don't know how hard it would be, but we're talking about 30 yards straight up in the air, so it would take more than a casual heave to get it up there.

DaFace
08-29-2009, 08:50 AM
I already thought the thing could move, but they do not want to do the extra work since the picture frame is adjusted perfect for the people that pay the most money???

Personally if I am a rival, during the game and practice I would have my punter and whoever else see how much shit they can break on the thing.. If he has to pay money each game to reconnect lines and fix shit he will raise that fucker quicker then expected..

I don't know what's fact anymore. If it's easy to move, you'd think they'd just do it.

PunkinDrublic
08-29-2009, 09:28 AM
Jerry is more likely to have the taxpayers of Arlington pay for the screen to be raised. It's what multi-millionaire corporate welfare queens do.

Mecca
08-29-2009, 02:49 PM
If it's moved the league has to pay for it...that's why to this point it's not being moved.

Also a QB couldn't just casually hit the screen it's 90 feet in the air, if any QB throws a ball with that trajectory on it there will be immediate outrage about how that is not in the spirit of the game.

Phobia
08-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Free time out.

Change of possession.