PDA

View Full Version : Obama Hahaha! Clunkers program requires people to pay taxes on their $4500.

Taco John
08-28-2009, 10:28 AM
What a bunch of suckers!

08/24/2009 9:41 PM
Some Surprised By 'Clunker' Tax

The Cash For Clunkers program is adding to the activity at treasurers' offices all around South Dakota. First, people were asking for proof of ownership, so they could show they owned their vehicle for a full year, allowing them to cash it in. Now, they'll be returning to register their new vehicle. And when they do, new owners need to bring every bit of paperwork provided to them by their dealer.

"That means they need their title, their damage disclosure, their bill of sale and the dealers have 30 days to get that to them," Minnehaha County Treasurer Pam Nelson said.

But many of those cashing in on the clunkers program are surprised when they get to the treasurer's office windows. That's because the government's rebate of up to $4500 dollars for every clunker is taxable.

"They didn't realize that would be taxable. A lot of people don't realize that. So they're not happy and kind of surprised when they find that out," Nelson said.

For now, the biggest impact of the program hasn't hit this office yet, as most of the paperwork is still in the hands of the dealers. But Nelson expects to see move activity in her office in the next month.

"I'm anxious to see what it's going to be like. I have no idea how many people we're going to see. Hopefully the dealers can process their paperwork in 30 days," Nelson said.

And that's when the line at this office will give some indication of how many cars the government program moved off of local lots.

Nelson adds that if you did recently purchase a vehicle, ensure your dealer gets you the paperwork in time because if they don't you could pay extra interest and penalties.

http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm?Id=0,89084

BucEyedPea
08-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Can the govt be sued for fraud like private businesses?

What a scam!

KC Dan
I heard about this the other day and laughed my azz off. Some rebate. Wait until the dealer paperwork is late and the late fees/interest starts mounting.

How's the car BRC?

mlyonsd
That's actually a tax I agree with.

Donger
08-28-2009, 10:32 AM
I'd be stunned if this tax wasn't clearly stated in the paperwork.

Slainte
08-28-2009, 10:32 AM
Ha! Ha! Poor people suck.

Rain Man
08-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Wow. I never would've expected this. I would've presumed that it was a tax credit or something else off the bottom line.

I've learned that anyone selling a national product is a liar, what with airlines "one-way fares based on round trip" and cell phones' "$59 plan [with unstated $22 in fees added once you sign] and all the other stuff. I guess it shouldn't surprise me that a $4,500 government program is really worth $3,000.

Brock
08-28-2009, 10:40 AM
I also had to pay sales tax when I bought my car! GASP

dirk digler
08-28-2009, 10:41 AM
I guess I don't understand. Doesn't the $4500 come off the top when you buy the car so on the sales receipt it shouldn't show the full price.

KC Dan
08-28-2009, 10:42 AM
I guess I don't understand. Doesn't the $4500 come off the top when you buy the car so on the sales receipt it shouldn't show the full price.I'm thinking that they are calling the $4500 taxable income??? Not sure but that would be my guess.

dirk digler
08-28-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm thinking that they are calling the $4500 taxable income??? Not sure but that would be my guess.

I figured they treated it like a trade in. Then again maybe we pay taxes when we trade in our cars. I haven't bought a car in about 6 years so I don't remember.

ROYC75
08-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Man, it's only " CHANGE ".ROFL

KC Dan
08-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Other than this SD and a Neb story, I can't find anything that clearly states the tax implications other than some states mandate sales tax and others don't. But, there is nothing new about that. I'd like to see something that clearly states whether the $4500 must be claimed as taxable income or some other tax event...

KC native
08-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Other than this SD and a Neb story, I can't find anything that clearly states the tax implications other than some states mandate sales tax and others don't. But, there is nothing new about that. I'd like to see something that clearly states whether the $4500 must be claimed as taxable income or some other tax event...

I wouldn't be surprised if they are paying sales tax on the price of the vehicle without the subsidy.

orange
08-28-2009, 11:09 AM
'Cash for Clunkers' Taxable Income Rumor is False!
August 25, 2009 by Ryan Christopher DeVault

Cash for Clunkers taxable income rumors are false! Cash for Clunkers taxable income rumors are spreading around the internet like wildfire as several internet blogs have started claiming that there will be unseen taxes on the program.

'Cash for Clunkers' Taxable Income Rumor is False! These internet blogs are stating that the Cash for Clunkers income is taxable, and that people will have to pay taxes on the $3,500 or $4,500 that they received in the form of an income tax. These blogs are hoping that they can scare people into coming to their sites to give them hits, but in reality, those blogs are just spreading mis-information about a program that thousands of Americans have already taken advantage.

We won't be posting any links to the sites spreading the false "Cash for Clunkers taxable income" rumors, but rather set the record straight with some factual information about the program. The Cash for Clunkers program has its own web-site where people have been going for information about the program and cars that qualify for the program. That site is used to provide very helpful questions and answers as well as FAQ's about the Car Allowance Rebate System. The original thought was probably that it could be a great source for information if people weren't sure about things, and it was apparently skipped over by many bloggers trying to spread false rumors.

On the main Q & A Page for the Cars web-site (located here) the following question is posed: "Is the credit subject to being taxed as income to consumers that participate in the program?" The answer posted right there in bold capital letters states "NO." The answer goes on to explain that "The CARS Act expressly provides that the credit is not income for the consumer." This is as plain as day as an answer can be when it comes from the Government, and there isn't much there that can confuse the reader that is looking to learn more about the Cash for Clunkers program. This is not an income to consumers, and therefore isn't under an income tax penalties.

It's pretty clear that someone along the way either became confused with what was going on with the program, or they just didn't care when it came to passing on the correct information. As with any purchase, the sale of a car may have sales tax associated it depending on each person's 'Cash for Clunkers' Taxable Income Rumor is False! state law, but that is a given as this is a purchase and it will have sales tax. There is no income tax on the tax credit though, so people should rest assured, and not buy into the paranoia that some web-sites are trying to create.

Sources:

Cash for Clunkers Information (http://www.cars.gov/faq#category-01)
Updated Cash for Clunkers Rules (http://www.associatedcontent.com/topic/123320/cash_for_clunkers.html)

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2105241/cash_for_clunkers_taxable_income_rumor_pg2.html?cat=3

Brock
08-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Do I have to pay State or local sales tax on the amount of the CARS program credit?

MAYBE. The question of whether a consumer must pay State or local sales tax on the amount of the CARS program credit depends on the sales tax law of each State or locality. Consumers should review the law of their respective States or consult a tax advisor to answer this question.

BigRedChief
08-28-2009, 11:13 AM
It's not taxed as income but.....

I went to the DMV yesterday to pay my sales tax and get my new car properly titled.

I had to pay sales tax on the $4,500 that I got from the government. The state doesn't consider the $4,500 off through the cash for clunkers a reduction in the sales price but some kind of benefit or something. Another way to get more tax money, or it at least seems that way to me.

I knew it was a possibility that I would have to pay sales tax on the $4,500 when I got the deal. I think its a state to state thing.

mlyonsd
08-28-2009, 11:21 AM

I went to the DMV yesterday to pay my sales tax and get my new car properly titled.

I had to pay sales tax on the $4,500 that I got from the government. The state doesn't consider the $4,500 off through the cash for clunkers a reduction in the sales price but some kind of benefit or something. Another way to get more tax money, or it at least seems that way to me.

I knew it was a possibility that I would have to pay sales tax on the $4,500 when I got the deal. I think its a state to state thing.

That actually makes sense because the cost of the car wasn't reduced by $4500. So, somebody was on the hook for the sales tax.

alpha_omega
08-28-2009, 11:22 AM
Taxing the 4500 sounds plausible to me....just like if you won a car on a game show, you still have to pay the sales tax.

orange
08-28-2009, 11:22 AM
Do I have to pay State or local sales tax on the amount of the CARS program credit?

MAYBE. The question of whether a consumer must pay State or local sales tax on the amount of the CARS program credit depends on the sales tax law of each State or locality. Consumers should review the law of their respective States or consult a tax advisor to answer this question.

Here's a chart of the various state sales tax rulings (in progress):

http://www.lexisnexis.com/documents/pdf/20090813053630_large.pdf

dirk digler
08-28-2009, 11:23 AM

That is the state for you. That is crap.

KC native
08-28-2009, 11:28 AM

I was right. Sweet!

patteeu
08-28-2009, 11:28 AM
I'm thinking that they are calling the $4500 taxable income??? Not sure but that would be my guess.

They probably should call it taxable income, but what this article is about is sales tax. Most states only make you pay sales tax on the difference between the purchase price of a new automobile and the sales price of your trade-in. People aren't going to get the benefit of that $4,500 as they would have under a normal trade-in deal so they'll have to pay sales tax on the full price of the new car they bought.

That means that the tax bill will only be $300-$400 or so, which is considerably lower than it would be if it were counted as taxable income.

dirk digler
08-28-2009, 11:31 AM
They probably should call it taxable income, but what this article is about is sales tax. Most states only make you pay sales tax on the difference between the purchase price of a new automobile and the sales price of your trade-in. People aren't going to get the benefit of that $4,500 as they would have under a normal trade-in deal so they'll have to pay sales tax on the full price of the new car they bought.

That means that the tax bill will only be $300-$400 or so, which is considerably lower than it would be if it were counted as taxable income.

What I don't understand is why they aren't treating it as a trade-in because you actually have to trade in your old car to get the discount. That part doesn't make sense to me.

BigRedChief
08-28-2009, 11:33 AM
That is the state for you. That is crap.
But, I could see many people not knowing. I had to ask and research before I knew. Another surprise waiting for them....

I wanted to use a credit card to pay the $2,700 tax bill. I've got a 0% credit card for a year and when I get my tax refund back next year I'll pay it off, I'm not out any finance charge. Wellll they were going to charge me $70 to use a credit card, instead of write a check or pay cash. I bet thats going to bite some people too.

orange
08-28-2009, 11:34 AM
The point about the sales tax is correct for purchasers in South Dakota, but not necessarily for those in other states. For example, the Minnesota Department of Revenue has advised that "the CARS incentive is deducted from the selling price before Minnesota motor vehicle sales tax is applied, effectively reducing the taxes owed." The Illinois Department of Revenue has reached the same conclusion, as have the revenue departments in Mississippi, Connecticut, Iowa, and California. On the other hand, revenue officials in Rhode Island, Nebraska, and Nevada agree with their counterparts in South Dakota. In releases not on the Internet, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Texas, and Wisconsin line up with the states not subjecting the CARS payment to the sales tax, whereas Idaho, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, and Virginia take the route taken by South Dakota. Washington does not subject the CARS payment to its transportation tax. As of this writing, other states have not published guidance. Here's a chart on the sales tax question that is worth a look, which I discovered after I looked at a bunch of state revenue department web sites.

Why the difference? It depends on the wording of the statute. For example, California and Wisconsin treat the $4,500 as a tax-exempt sale to the United States. Other states have statutes that define the taxable cost as the net amount paid by the purchaser. I wonder how many of the assorted bloggers repeating the "the CARS payment is subject to sales tax in many states" mantra actually searched for, read, and analyzed the statute. The count at this point has more states NOT subjecting the rebate to sales taxation than taxing it. At best, the adjective should be "some."

http://myventurepad.com/MVP/73958

dirk digler
08-28-2009, 11:38 AM
But, I could see many people not knowing. I had to ask and research before I knew. Another surprise waiting for them....

I wanted to use a credit card to pay the $2,700 tax bill. I've got a 0% credit card for a year and when I get my tax refund back next year I'll pay it off, I'm not out any finance charge. Wellll they were going to charge me $70 to use a credit card, instead of write a check or pay cash. I bet thats going to bite some people too.

True but that is not a federal problem that is a state problem and it appears it varies wildly from state to state.

One question did you get any other discounts on your car when you traded it in or was it just the $4500?

KC Dan
08-28-2009, 11:44 AM

I knew it was a possibility that I would have to pay sales tax on the $4,500 when I got the deal. I think its a state to state thing.hahahaha, good.

KC Dan
08-28-2009, 11:46 AM
'Cash for Clunkers' Taxable Income Rumor is False!August 25, 2009 by
Thanks, that is what I was looking for and refused to go on that cars site myself. I do not trust the bastards.

Brock
08-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks, that is what I was looking for and refused to go on that cars site myself. I do not trust the bastards.

ROFL :tinfoil:

BigRedChief
08-28-2009, 11:48 AM
True but that is not a federal problem that is a state problem and it appears it varies wildly from state to state.

One question did you get any other discounts on your car when you traded it in or was it just the $4500?yep.
Orginal MSRP = $46,750
Lincoln rebate - $4,500
Cash for clunkers = $4,500
Off the MSRP = $1,600
off for mileage on the car(6,000 miles) = $1,500 or $2000(I forget now)

We paid $34000 for the Lincoln MKX. Plus got a simple interest loan at 4.9% for 72 months. Payment due date the 19th. I pay on the 1st every month I knock a year off the loan.

BigRedChief
08-28-2009, 11:49 AM
hahahaha, good.
:cuss: so, taxes are good now?;)

BucEyedPea
08-28-2009, 11:50 AM
I had to pay sales tax on the $4,500 that I got from the government.

'Er you mean from us taxpayers or the hard working American people including plenty of us here on this board. "Big Red Robbing Hood" was an accurate label for you then afterall, is it not?

It's called stealing from others so you can have a new car.

I think I'll quit my job in protest of this.

KC Dan
08-28-2009, 11:51 AM
:cuss: so, taxes are good now?;)If it pays back some of my tax dollars that the gov't gave youfor your own personal use, yes.

BigRedChief
08-28-2009, 11:53 AM
'Er you mean from us taxpayers or the hard working American people including plenty of us here on this board. "Big Red Robbing Hood" was an accurate label for you then afterall, is it not?

and don't forget when I file my taxes next year, I'll get to take all that $2,700 off my total tax bill. Not a dedution but the whole $2,700 off my tax bill. I think they should increase your taxes to make it up.

Brock
08-28-2009, 11:53 AM
If it pays back some of my tax dollars that the gov't gave youfor your own personal use, yes.

It wasn't his money? A little presumptuous of you, don't you think?

BigRedChief
08-28-2009, 11:54 AM
If it pays back some of my tax dollars that the gov't gave youfor your own personal use, yes.
hey, this wasn't my idea, don't shoot me for taking advantage of a program. Some other schlep would have been one of the 700,00 if it wasn't me.

Brock

You could have gotten 4500 dollars of your money given back to you too. You chose not to.

KC Dan
It wasn't his money? A little presumptuous of you, don't you think?I believe that the money that the gov't removes from my pay checks is to run the gov't not provide BRC with a new car. But, I could be wrong about the intent of the 16th amendment.

dirk digler
08-28-2009, 11:56 AM
yep.
Orginal MSRP = $46,750
Lincoln rebate - $4,500
Cash for clunkers = $4,500
Off the MSRP = $1,600
off for mileage on the car(6,000 miles) = $1,500 or $2000(I forget now)

We paid $34000 for the Lincoln MKX. Plus got a simple interest loan at 4.9% for 72 months. Payment due date the 19th. I pay on the 1st every month I knock a year off the loan.

But you didn't get a trade in discount except for the $4500? So I guess I still don't understand why they aren't treating this as you were trading in an old car.

KC Dan
08-28-2009, 11:56 AM
and don't forget when I file my taxes next year, I'll get to take all that $2,700 off my total tax bill. Not a dedution but the whole $2,700 off my tax bill. I think they should increase your taxes to make it up.They will when they raise taxes (i mean let tax cuts expire) next year 2010.

Brock
08-28-2009, 11:57 AM
I believe that the money that the gov't removes from my pay checks is to run the gov't not provide BRC with a new car. But, I could be wrong about the intent of the 16th amendment.

He reclaimed some of the money he paid in. It wasn't your money.

patteeu
What I don't understand is why they aren't treating it as a trade-in because you actually have to trade in your old car to get the discount. That part doesn't make sense to me.

Because the "trade-in" is a "dead end" tax wise. On a normal trade-in, the car is going to be turned around and resold (subject to sales tax) and/or possessed (subject to property tax), but in this case it's turning into a pile of junk metal.

KC Dan
hey, this wasn't my idea, don't shoot me for taking advantage of a program. Some other schlep would have been one of the 700,00 if it wasn't me.yeah, i know...:cuss:

Mr. Kotter
Well, there's at least a silver-lining into this particular federal welfare program.

LMAO

KC Dan
08-28-2009, 11:58 AM
He reclaimed some of the money he paid in. It wasn't your money.whatever you gotta tell yourself...

Brock
08-28-2009, 11:59 AM
whatever you gotta tell yourself...

I laugh at your whining about somebody taking back what was theirs to begin with.

dirk digler
08-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Because the "trade-in" is a "dead end" tax wise. On a normal trade-in, the car is going to be turned around and resold (subject to sales tax) and/or possessed (subject to property tax), but in this case it's turning into a pile of junk metal.

That makes sense I guess. Some states don't see it that way but that is the way it goes. Though I imagine they have to pay some tax to make it into a pile of junk metal.

BigRedChief
08-28-2009, 12:02 PM
But you didn't get a trade in discount except for the $4500? So I guess I still don't understand why they aren't treating this as you were trading in an old car.
my car I traded in was worth $1,000, maybe. A 98 Ford Explorer with a 8 cyclinder engine with 130,000 miles on it? So I guess I gained $3,500 and plus the $2,700 in a tax bill later on the deal.

But, I could turn around right now and sell it for $6K-$7K profit and keep the tax savings also.

http://file.kbb.com/kbb/images/wsr/nchub/hub_whatsthis.png[/IMG]

http://file.kbb.com/kbb/vehicleimage/houseseo/152x105/2009/2009-lincoln-mkx-frontside_multmkx091.jpg (http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/Photos/2009_Lincoln_MKX_226791_Private%20Party_Excellent.aspx?SelectionHistory=226791|31328|64081|0|0|22884 12|true|2288429|true|2288428|true|2288432|true|2288435|true|2288435|false|2288436|true|2288444|true| 2288456|true|2746425|true|2288454|true|2288456|true&Mileage=7000)
More Photos (http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/Photos/2009_Lincoln_MKX_226791_Private%20Party_Excellent.aspx?SelectionHistory=226791|31328|64081|0|0|22884 12|true|2288429|true|2288428|true|2288432|true|2288435|true|2288435|false|2288436|true|2288444|true| 2288456|true|2746425|true|2288454|true|2288456|true&Mileage=7000)
<TABLE id=priceCondition cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD rowSpan=2></TD><TD class=ConditionHeader colSpan=3><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>Condition http://file.kbb.com/kbb/Images/wsr/nchub/whatsThis.gif</TD><TD class=value>Value</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class="ConditionBlackLine vehicleCondition" colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD rowSpan=2></TD><TD class=conditionSelected id=ctl00_ctl00_ctl00_ContentPlaceHolderBody_ContentPlaceHolderMiddle_ContentPlaceHolderMiddle_rptVal ueSummary_ctl00_conditionColumn style="PADDING-LEFT: 6px">Excellent

</TD><TD class=valueSelected id=ctl00_ctl00_ctl00_ContentPlaceHolderBody_ContentPlaceHolderMiddle_ContentPlaceHolderMiddle_rptVal ueSummary_ctl00_valueColumn align=right>$40,695

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=dotsnomargin colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TD rowSpan=2></TD><TD class=valueText id=ctl00_ctl00_ctl00_ContentPlaceHolderBody_ContentPlaceHolderMiddle_ContentPlaceHolderMiddle_rptVal ueSummary_ctl02_conditionColumn style="PADDING-LEFT: 6px">Good

</TD><TD class=value id=ctl00_ctl00_ctl00_ContentPlaceHolderBody_ContentPlaceHolderMiddle_ContentPlaceHolderMiddle_rptVal ueSummary_ctl02_valueColumn align=right>$38,795

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=dotsnomargin colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TD rowSpan=2></TD><TD class=valueText id=ctl00_ctl00_ctl00_ContentPlaceHolderBody_ContentPlaceHolderMiddle_ContentPlaceHolderMiddle_rptVal ueSummary_ctl04_conditionColumn style="PADDING-LEFT: 6px">Fair

</TD><TD class=value id=ctl00_ctl00_ctl00_ContentPlaceHolderBody_ContentPlaceHolderMiddle_ContentPlaceHolderMiddle_rptVal ueSummary_ctl04_valueColumn align=right>$36,195

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

RINGLEADER
08-28-2009, 12:03 PM
Geez people, you just got $4500 of my grandkids' tax dollars and you don't want to pay the tax on it? How selfish.

It all makes perfect sense. We're borrowing money from the future to give to people now so they can buy cars from companies that we (as a nation) own thus enabling states to receive taxes?

BigRedChief
08-28-2009, 12:03 PM
They will when they raise taxes (i mean let tax cuts expire) next year 2010.Thats okay, I got $2,700 more coming now.:)

Mr. Kotter
08-28-2009, 12:06 PM
my car I traded in was worth $1,000, maybe. A 98 Ford Explorer with a 8 cyclinder engine with 130,000 miles on it? So I guess I gained $3,500 and plus the $2,700 in a tax bill later on the deal.

But, I could turn around right now and sell it for $6K-$7K profit and keep the tax savings also.

http://file.kbb.com/kbb/images/wsr/nchub/hub_whatsthis.png[/IMG]

http://file.kbb.com/kbb/vehicleimage/houseseo/152x105/2009/2009-lincoln-mkx-frontside_multmkx091.jpg (http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/Photos/2009_Lincoln_MKX_226791_Private%20Party_Excellent.aspx?SelectionHistory=226791|31328|64081|0|0|22884 12|true|2288429|true|2288428|true|2288432|true|2288435|true|2288435|false|2288436|true|2288444|true| 2288456|true|2746425|true|2288454|true|2288456|true&Mileage=7000)
More Photos (http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/Photos/2009_Lincoln_MKX_226791_Private%20Party_Excellent.aspx?SelectionHistory=226791|31328|64081|0|0|22884 12|true|2288429|true|2288428|true|2288432|true|2288435|true|2288435|false|2288436|true|2288444|true| 2288456|true|2746425|true|2288454|true|2288456|true&Mileage=7000)
<TABLE id=priceCondition cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD rowSpan=2></TD><TD class=ConditionHeader colSpan=3><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>Condition http://file.kbb.com/kbb/Images/wsr/nchub/whatsThis.gif</TD><TD class=value>Value</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class="ConditionBlackLine vehicleCondition" colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD rowSpan=2></TD><TD class=conditionSelected id=ctl00_ctl00_ctl00_ContentPlaceHolderBody_ContentPlaceHolderMiddle_ContentPlaceHolderMiddle_rptVal ueSummary_ctl00_conditionColumn style="PADDING-LEFT: 6px">Excellent

</TD><TD class=valueSelected id=ctl00_ctl00_ctl00_ContentPlaceHolderBody_ContentPlaceHolderMiddle_ContentPlaceHolderMiddle_rptVal ueSummary_ctl00_valueColumn align=right>$40,695

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=dotsnomargin colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TD rowSpan=2></TD><TD class=valueText id=ctl00_ctl00_ctl00_ContentPlaceHolderBody_ContentPlaceHolderMiddle_ContentPlaceHolderMiddle_rptVal ueSummary_ctl02_conditionColumn style="PADDING-LEFT: 6px">Good

</TD><TD class=value id=ctl00_ctl00_ctl00_ContentPlaceHolderBody_ContentPlaceHolderMiddle_ContentPlaceHolderMiddle_rptVal ueSummary_ctl02_valueColumn align=right>$38,795

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=dotsnomargin colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TD rowSpan=2></TD><TD class=valueText id=ctl00_ctl00_ctl00_ContentPlaceHolderBody_ContentPlaceHolderMiddle_ContentPlaceHolderMiddle_rptVal ueSummary_ctl04_conditionColumn style="PADDING-LEFT: 6px">Fair

</TD><TD class=value id=ctl00_ctl00_ctl00_ContentPlaceHolderBody_ContentPlaceHolderMiddle_ContentPlaceHolderMiddle_rptVal ueSummary_ctl04_valueColumn align=right>$36,195

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

What a joke....that a monster truck like that qualified for an alledgedly "green" program....

LMAO

dirk digler
08-28-2009, 12:11 PM
What a joke....that a monster truck like that qualified for an alledgedly "green" program....

LMAO

That is one thing I didn't like about the program they should have made it so you had to upgrade more than 2-3 mpg.

His 98 Ford Explorer got 15 mpg this one gets 18mpg.

Of course the emissions on the new one will be alot better than the old one so you have to take that into account

Brock
08-28-2009, 12:13 PM
Of course the emissions on the new one will be alot better than the old one

Probably not.

BigRedChief
08-28-2009, 12:16 PM

LMAO
I'm getting 19MPG instead of 14MPG. Isn't that like a 30% increase. But didn't they come out with the final #'s and the average increase in gas mileage was over 50%?

BigRedChief
08-28-2009, 12:18 PM
That is one thing I didn't like about the program they should have made it so you had to upgrade more than 2-3 mpg.

His 98 Ford Explorer got 15 mpg this one gets 18mpg.

Of course the emissions on the new one will be alot better than the old one so you have to take that into account
yeah, when they changed the law to make an SUV a non passenger truck, we only had to get 5MPG more to qualify, instead of 10MPG.

Bob Dole
08-28-2009, 12:23 PM
I guess I don't understand. Doesn't the $4500 come off the top when you buy the car so on the sales receipt it shouldn't show the full price.

It's a rebate. You still have to pay sales tax on the price of the car.

Chiefshrink
08-28-2009, 12:29 PM
I'd be stunned if this tax wasn't clearly stated in the paperwork.

Precisely! I damn gaurantee you it is in there in fine print that a microscope couldn't pick up:rolleyes:

Chiefshrink
08-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Geez people, you just got $4500 of my grandkids' tax dollars and you don't want to pay the tax on it? How selfish.

It all makes perfect sense. We're borrowing money from the future to give to people now so they can buy cars from companies that we (as a nation) own thus enabling states to receive taxes?

Robbing Peter to pay PeterROFL Just totally insane!!

dirk digler
08-28-2009, 12:36 PM
Probably not.

You're right not a huge difference

His ford explorer had 12.20 tons of emissions annually and his new one has 10.20

Brock
08-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Precisely! I damn gaurantee you it is in there in fine print that a microscope couldn't pick up:rolleyes:

Durr, it's spelled out in plain english on the website.

alanm
08-28-2009, 01:25 PM
I wonder how many of those cars are going to end up repoed in the next 6 months because people had to buy more car than they could afford?
Probably another disaster in the making.

Brock
08-28-2009, 01:28 PM
I wonder how many of those cars are going to end up repoed in the next 6 months because people had to buy more car than they could afford?
Probably another disaster in the making.

Yeah, because buying a 9000 dollar Hyundai is a budget killer.

BucEyedPea
08-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Yeah, because buying a 9000 dollar Hyundai is a budget killer.

Depends on the budget.

BucEyedPea
08-28-2009, 04:46 PM
and don't forget when I file my taxes next year, I'll get to take all that $2,700 off my total tax bill. Not a dedution but the whole $2,700 off my tax bill. I think they should increase your taxes to make it up.

That's why I'm gonna quit working. You'll get nuthing more outta me!

BigRedChief
08-28-2009, 05:23 PM
I'll get you on property taxes then.

orange
08-28-2009, 05:35 PM

Not only that - when Obama takes over the Internet and gets your credit card numbers, you're ours, baby! LMAO

BucEyedPea
08-28-2009, 05:43 PM

So you're movin' on down here to west central Florida?

Do you have kids to educate?

BTW our property taxes are low. With people moving out of the state since 1946, I expect home values to drop more and property tax to drop lower.

You won't get me my sweet! I can even file bankruptcy and keep my house.

BucEyedPea
08-28-2009, 05:53 PM
Not only that - when Obama takes over the Internet and gets your credit card numbers, you're ours, baby! LMAO

Soooo, even YOU are a member in good standing of Big Red Robbin' Hood's Merry Band of Thieves.

I'm gonna draw a cartoon of you guys if this keeps up!

Oranges fit here in Florida....but peaches you belong in Georgia.