PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Would Mary Jo Kopechne think her death was "worth it"?

petegz28
08-28-2009, 12:17 PM
We're comfortable with moral relativism in this country -- or, at least, we love us a good "sinned and redeemed" narrative. And, for the most part, we realize that there are few lives on which we can slap a "Good" or "Evil" label and expect it to be accurate.

Which, let's face it, is one of the reasons the Ted Kennedy story is so fascinating. The huge achievements, weighed against the huge sins. Forty-six years of history-book accomplishments on everything from Civil Rights to the Americans with Disabilities Act to gender equality. Disabled? Poor? A member of any minority group? Then chances are your life is at least somewhat better because of Ted Kennedy. And for anyone who started to lose faith in the left's seeming impotence over the past decade (cough cough) he provided a pretty strong reason not to throw in the towel.

So now he's dead, and we do what we do when a Kennedy dies: read and write obsessively about him. Some of the obituaries are point-counterpoint parallels of sin with salvation. Then there are obsequious, grandiose bromides like:

Good grief.

But in all the florid or scalpel-sharp prose, there's one constant: Peeking out from the center of the story is the matter of his playing a major part in the death of a 28-year-old woman.

Mary Jo wasn't a right-wing talking point or a negative campaign slogan. She was a dedicated civil rights activist and political talent with a bright future -- granted, whenever someone dies young, people sermonize about how he had a "bright future" ahead of him -- but she actually did. She wasn't afraid to defy convention (28 and unmarried, oh the horror!) or create her own career path based on her talents. She lived in Georgetown (where I grew up) and loved the Red Sox (we'll forgive her for that). Then she got in a car driven by a 36-year-old senator with an alcohol problem and a cauldron full of demons, and wound up a controversial footnote in a dynasty.

We don't know how much Kennedy was affected by her death, or what she'd have thought about arguably being a catalyst for the most successful Senate career in history. What we don't know, as always, could fill a Metrodome.

Still, ignorance doesn't preclude a right to wonder. So it doesn't automatically make someone (aka, me) a Limbaugh-loving, aerial-wolf-hunting NRA troll for asking what Mary Jo Kopechne would have had to say about Ted's death, and what she'd have thought of the life and career that are being (rightfully) heralded.

Who knows -- maybe she'd feel it was worth it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/melissa-lafsky/the-footnote-speaks-what_b_270298.html

petegz28
08-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Good Lord, some people. I am really speechless at what this dumb bitch wrote

Baby Lee
08-28-2009, 12:28 PM
This whole 'selflessly stood up for the downtrodden' tripe really sticks in my craw, since it consists of identifying people who don't have material things, and using his office to force others, under color of law, to provide it to them, all while his assets are shielded from participation in the shakedown he created.

dirk digler
08-28-2009, 12:41 PM
That doesn't make alot of sense. If the whole incident didn't happen he probably would have been POTUS and done alot more good things or bad things depending on your political POV.

Rain Man
08-28-2009, 12:44 PM
I bet Mary Jo Kopechne is holding his head under the River Styx right now, screaming, "How does it feel?!? HOW DOES IT FEEL?!?!"

ChiTown
08-28-2009, 01:11 PM
That doesn't make alot of sense. If the whole incident didn't happen he probably would have been POTUS and done alot more good things or bad things depending on your political POV.

ROFL

Garcia Bronco
08-28-2009, 01:17 PM
I like this commetn about the "writer"

"ex-lawyer? I can see that.

Does the bar association have a "section 8"?"

Taco John
08-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Honestly, I don't see the guy's significance really. I mean, I know he's turned into this heralded center-point of contention - but really, the guy never seemed relevant to me outside of the fact that Republicans loved to hate him.

Donger
08-28-2009, 02:40 PM
I bet Mary Jo Kopechne is holding his head under the River Styx right now, screaming, "How does it feel?!? HOW DOES IT FEEL?!?!"

LMAO

Mojo Jojo
08-28-2009, 02:41 PM
The writer references the Metrodome? Of all the venues in North America...the Metrodome?

That in itself shows the ignorance of the writer.

KILLER_CLOWN
08-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Honestly, I don't see the guy's significance really. I mean, I know he's turned into this heralded center-point of contention - but really, the guy never seemed relevant to me outside of the fact that Republicans loved to hate him.

He saw what happened to his brothers and became mr irrelevant, because it was much easier to sit in office and do nothing.

dirk digler
08-28-2009, 02:45 PM

Yeah kind of like Ronald Reagan and Michael jackson

Direckshun
08-28-2009, 03:19 PM
Ho. Lee. Sheet.

RedNeckRaider
08-28-2009, 05:58 PM

He was not relevant. He was a pampered boozing idiot given the gift of the kind of power that behind the right man could have reached greatness. He spent his entire life coasting. He faced the moment that every man faces in his life, the moment that defines him as a man. He failed and showed his true self.

There have been many flawed men that when faced with this moment rise to it and show honor. He was what he was he was. Had he not been born into the family that he was born into and was born to an ordinary family he would have been one of those gutless drunks you meet when you walk into a bar, a shameless dump willing to do anything for another drink.

In a twist of sad irony his power hungry dad watched as three of four were cut down young. He watched knowing the cheating cut throat activity he had done to attain power was wasted on the idiot son. Talk about Karma.

BucEyedPea
08-28-2009, 06:01 PM

ROFL

BucEyedPea
08-28-2009, 08:41 PM
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/3425/tedkennedychappaquiddic.jpg

mlyonsd
08-28-2009, 08:47 PM
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/3425/tedkennedychappaquiddic.jpg

I might go to hell but I ROFL

2bikemike
08-28-2009, 09:55 PM
He was not relevant. He was a pampered boozing idiot given the gift of the kind of power that behind the right man could have reached greatness. He spent his entire life coasting. He faced the moment that every man faces in his life, the moment that defines him as a man. He failed and showed his true self.

There have been many flawed men that when faced with this moment rise to it and show honor. He was what he was he was. Had he not been born into the family that he was born into and was born to an ordinary family he would have been one of those gutless drunks you meet when you walk into a bar, a shameless dump willing to do anything for another drink.

In a twist of sad irony his power hungry dad watched as three of four were cut down young. He watched knowing the cheating cut throat activity he had done to attain power was wasted on the idiot son. Talk about Karma.

This!

***SPRAYER
08-28-2009, 10:34 PM
http://www.moonbattery.com/BFH_Ted_Kennedy_Aquarium.jpg

J Diddy
08-29-2009, 12:29 AM
http://www.moonbattery.com/BFH_Ted_Kennedy_Aquarium.jpg

Hey racist fuckhead, how you doing tonight?

Pissed you don't have the pull of Jefferson Davis?

***SPRAYER
08-29-2009, 09:28 AM
Hey racist ****head, how you doing tonight?

Pissed you don't have the pull of Jefferson Davis?

Do you live in a black neighborhood? Do your kids go to a predominately black school?

Thought so.

:ZZZ:

petegz28
08-29-2009, 10:11 AM
Do you live in a black neighborhood? Do your kids go to a predominately black school?

Thought so.

:ZZZ:

I did growing up..to both

gblowfish
08-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Gotta love National Lampoon...

***SPRAYER
08-29-2009, 10:46 AM
I did growing up..to both

Why?

ROFL

petegz28
08-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Why?

ROFL

why? cause that is where we lived and tht was where i went to school....why is that funny? did i miss something?

Pioli Zombie
08-29-2009, 01:31 PM
What would Mary Jo say? Probably......

GET ME OUT OF THIS FUCKING CAR!!!!!!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Adept Havelock
08-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Gotta love National Lampoon...

Heh. Nice find from back when NL was reliably funny. LMAO

Chief Henry
08-29-2009, 02:36 PM

QFT

Pioli Zombie
08-29-2009, 02:54 PM
What do you mean. Kennedy dove in the water and smashed open the window. As a result he lost the hearing out of one ear. He went on to be a sheriff and......
Oh wait, that was "Copland" last night.
Posted via Mobile Device

***SPRAYER
08-29-2009, 06:03 PM
why? cause that is where we lived and tht was where i went to school....why is that funny? did i miss something?

Did your father work?