PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Car buying advice

Joe Seahawk
08-28-2009, 04:42 PM
It's been a while since I have bought a car, But I'm about to buy a slightly used Denali or Tahoe. I'm trying to decide how much i can get off the sticker price. For example, if they are asking $42,000 how much can I reasonably expect to pay? I'm hoping to find a 2007 or newer with most options and low miles (under 35,000) for $30-$35,000 before tax and licensing.

Any dealers or recent buyers out there that can help me out?

Thanks!

Bwana
08-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Define "Slightly used." 200 miles on the vehicle, a year old, two years old???

Bane
08-28-2009, 04:45 PM
I bought the wife a 06 Escalade last year,they were asking $45,000.I got them down to $43,500,but it wasnt easy.I think they almost told me to go to hell but we got it for $1,500 less than they wanted so I felt ok about it.

Joe Seahawk
08-28-2009, 04:46 PM
Define "Slightly used." 200 miles on the vehicle, a year old, two years old???

under 35,000 is fine.

What shoul I be able to get out the door with on this one?

http://tinyurl.com/lv7eke

Bane
08-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Its gonna depend on the salesman,as much as what they are asking for it.Ive had guys tell me they are firm(not backing off) on the sticker and then Ive had guys come way down as well.

KC native
08-28-2009, 04:48 PM
It's been a while since I have bought a car, But I'm about to buy a slightly used Denali or Tahoe. I'm trying to decide how much i can get off the sticker price. For example, if they are asking $42,000 how much can I reasonably expect to pay? I'm hoping to find a 2007 or newer with most options and low miles (under 35,000) for $30-$35,000 before tax and licensing.

Any dealers or recent buyers out there that can help me out?

Thanks!

Find out what trade in value is and work from there. I did that when I bought my caddy about 5-6 years ago. They wanted $14k, trade in was $11,400. I told him if he could do trade in value price I would buy it right then and there. He said he couldn't do that and showed me a sheet that allegedly had the price they gave the original owner on it which was $11,400 and then countered with $12500 which I accepted as it was 10% off what they were asking for it.

Bane
08-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Also alot of times they will say some shit about the Kelly Blue Book price of the trade in,but when it comes to the vehicle you are tryoing to buy they use the NADA book.

KC native
08-28-2009, 04:52 PM
A good way to do it would be to find out what options it has go to N.A.D.A's website and print off the trade in values.

http://www.nadaguides.com/home.aspx?LI=1-21-1-5014-500-500-50000&l=1&w=28&p=0&f=5000

KC native
08-28-2009, 04:53 PM
Also alot of times they will say some shit about the Kelly Blue Book price of the trade in,but when it comes to the vehicle you are tryoing to buy they use the NADA book.

This, NADA is what they use.

Frosty
08-28-2009, 04:53 PM
The used car calculator on edmunds.com is pretty accurate. It gives the private party, trade-in and dealer price on used cars, depending on options, color, location, miles, etc. If you are buying from a dealer, plan on roughly wholesale + $1000. If you find a vehicle you like, offer that. If they turn you down, walk out. If they don't chase you to your car, it may have been too low. More than likely they will come back with something higher, but stick to your guns until they are willing to let you walk. Their price at that point is probably as low as they'll go.

If you have a trade-in, it becomes much, much more complicated.

Bane
08-28-2009, 04:54 PM
This, NADA is what they use.

I hear what you are saying.I had a dealer try to give me the KBB price of my truck I tried to trade 2 years ago but then when I was talking to him about the truck I got he used the NADA.

KC native
08-28-2009, 04:55 PM
I hear what you are saying.I had a dealer try to give me the KBB price of my truck I tried to trade 2 years ago but then when I was talking to him about the truck I got he used the NADA.

Yea, they will only use KBB when it's to their advantage. Most dealers won't use it for trade in bc the values are higher than NADA most of the time.

Bwana
08-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Both of those are considered "gas hogs" and it's a buyers market. They can't give them away right now. You should be able to get a fantastic deal.

Frosty
08-28-2009, 04:57 PM
In reality, what they go by is auction price. That is their bottom line. Add in any reconditioning costs, detailing, and profit and you have the take it or leave it price, unless they have a dog they are trying to get rid of and are willing to take a loss.

Brock
08-28-2009, 04:59 PM
Better hurry, I heard the used car market has been "annihilated".

Bwana
08-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Yea, they will only use KBB when it's to their advantage. Most dealers won't use it for trade in bc the values are higher than NADA most of the time.

What you have to find out is what the bank in you specific area goes by. On the east coast, most of that is KBB, anound here, it NADA (mountain states edition.) You will get a lot of lowlife car dealers throwing around KBB, on the selling end and trying to use NADA on the trade. That doesn't fly if you have a clue about dealing on a vehicle.

Bane
08-28-2009, 05:15 PM
I ended up keeping my truck and selling it out right after the fact versus taking the huge fuggn he was tryn to give me.

KC Jones
08-28-2009, 08:25 PM
I was shopping for new, but what I did was get the email address of floor managers at all the local dealers of my preferred type and send out an email saying what I wanted and that the lowest price would win. It worked out for me.

Easy 6
08-28-2009, 09:45 PM
In most places, if you can get $2000 to $2500 off a used car, your getting a good deal.

Joe Seahawk
08-28-2009, 09:59 PM
Thanks for all the tips.. I had never even heard of nada until this thread..

I get to go visit a bunch of used car salesmen this weekend, not my favorite thing to do, although I am excited to get some new wheels.

Hopefully i'll find something this weekend and be done with it.

Thanks again

mikeyis4dcats.
08-28-2009, 10:05 PM
Just bought a used SUV.

We test drove a Hyundai Tuscon and within 3 hours had a call offering $2995 off sticker. That was $1100 under NADA.

We ended up buying a Hyundai Santa Fe and got it for $2595 under sticker, and 900 under NADA. It was in fantastic condition though.

Baconeater
08-28-2009, 10:10 PM
Personally, I don't have the patience to dicker with salesmen. I usually do a lot of online research to see what the type of vehicle I want is selling for, and I'll wait until I find something I feel is reasonably priced and then I just go buy the damn thing. I'm not going to spend hours upon hours in a car dealership trying to beat them down by a few hundred bucks.

Joe Seahawk
08-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Personally, I don't have the patience to dicker with salesmen. I usually do a lot of online research to see what the type of vehicle I want is selling for, and I'll wait until I find something I feel is reasonably priced and then I just go buy the damn thing. I'm not going to spend hours upon hours in a car dealership trying to beat them down by a few hundred bucks.

Thats the thing though.. I can see what they're asking, but i have no idea what they are actually selling for.. I wish there was a site that showed purchase prices like you can do with houses.

Baconeater
08-28-2009, 10:34 PM
Thats the thing though.. I can see what they're asking, but i have no idea what they are actually selling for.. I wish there was a site that showed purchase prices like you can do with houses.
Yeah, that would be nice. Obviously I meant that I checked around the asking prices. I should add that most of the vehicles I have bought have been under $10K, there's not quite as much room to dicker with them anyway. Spending $40K on something to drive is inconceivable to me.

UteChief
08-29-2009, 10:24 AM
I'd recommend edmunds.com also. I've been told nada and kbb are a few months behind where edmunds is more current. I'd also look at prices and autos on carmax.com.

burt
08-29-2009, 11:16 AM
Damn, I hate those dealers............

Skip Towne
08-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Damn, I hate those dealers............

Me too :p

burt
08-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Me too :p

:D

Fat Elvis
08-29-2009, 05:08 PM
Yeah, that would be nice. Obviously I meant that I checked around the asking prices. I should add that most of the vehicles I have bought have been under $10K, there's not quite as much room to dicker with them anyway. Spending $40K on something to drive is inconceivable to me.

You and me both, brother. As far as I'm concerned, a car, truck, or whatever, is a box on wheels that gets me from point A to point B.

Oh, and it is also mindboggling to me to have more cars than drivers. My ass will only fit in one car at a time.

Saul Good
08-29-2009, 05:55 PM
In most places, if you can get $2000 to $2500 off a used car, your getting a good deal.

If you negotiate from the sticker down, you've already lost. As KCNative said earlier, you need to figure out what they paid for the vehicle based on trade-in values and make the dealer negotiate up from there.

The other way that I have found to be effective is to send out a form letter to several dealerships letting them know that you will be accepting blind bids from all of them and will make a purchase from the lowest bidder on the next to the last day of the month.

Easy 6
08-29-2009, 06:05 PM
If you negotiate from the sticker down, you've already lost. As KCNative said earlier, you need to figure out what they paid for the vehicle based on trade-in values and make the dealer negotiate up from there.

The other way that I have found to be effective is to send out a form letter to several dealerships letting them know that you will be accepting blind bids from all of them and will make a purchase from the lowest bidder on the next to the last day of the month.

Finding out what a dealer bought a trade for is tricky at best, some people come in & roll over while others play hardball (& often dont get anywhere), there can be wide variances.

Having dealers bid for your business like that sounds pretty good though, but obviously you need to be comparing apples to apples at each dealership.

Saul Good
08-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Finding out what a dealer bought a trade for is tricky at best, some people come in & roll over while others play hardball (& often dont get anywhere), there can be wide variances.

Having dealers bid for your business like that sounds pretty good though, but obviously you need to be comparing apples to apples at each dealership.

It's not really that tricky. Hell, if you've got a trade in, see what the dealer offers you versus what the book value is. That will give you a pretty good idea of how to calculate what they actually have in the car.

The next step is to basically tell the dealer that you don't care what they paid for the car and that it doesn't matter to you if they paid $5,000 or $50,000. It's worth "X" amount to you regardless. If the dealer overpaid for it, that isn't your problem.

The truth is that you can estimate within about 2-3% of what the dealer paid. Offer them a couple hundred bucks more and don't move more than about another couple hundred.

Easy 6
08-29-2009, 06:15 PM
It's not really that tricky. Hell, if you've got a trade in, see what the dealer offers you versus what the book value is. That will give you a pretty good idea of how to calculate what they actually have in the car.

The next step is to basically tell the dealer that you don't care what they paid for the car and that it doesn't matter to you if they paid $5,000 or $50,000. It's worth "X" amount to you regardless. If the dealer overpaid for it, that isn't your problem.

The truth is that you can estimate within about 2-3% of what the dealer paid. Offer them a couple hundred bucks more and don't move more than about another couple hundred.

Your pretty good, please dont come see me for your next purchase...:D

Saul Good
08-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Your pretty good, please dont come see me for your next purchase...:D

You aren't a dealer are you?

UsualSuspects
08-29-2009, 06:40 PM

Less than half a payment and covers a year.

Signed Bubba.

I need a job dang you.

Easy 6
08-29-2009, 06:47 PM
You aren't a dealer are you?

I've been a salesman for 3 years.

TEX
08-29-2009, 09:57 PM
Stay away from GM ...