PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Five things to watch in Saturday night’s Chiefs-Seahawks game

Tribal Warfare
08-29-2009, 06:25 AM
Five things to watch in Saturday night’s Chiefs-Seahawks game (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1411999.html)

1 Tyler Thigpen’s play. The Chiefs need to decide whether Thigpen is expendable, and he can help them with that decision one way or another. Thigpen probably won’t enter the game until the third quarter, but while he’s in, he needs to show he can operate from a conventional pro offense. His throwing accuracy after dropping back from center has been lousy.

2 Create turnovers. The Chiefs haven’t taken the ball away from an opponent in two preseason games. They have the personnel to get that done, and now’s the time to set the tone for the regular season. They’ve done a decent job against two strong rushing teams and have sporadically put pressure on the opposing quarterback but haven’t yet converted that to turnovers.

3 Better offensive-line play. Larry Johnson is averaging a paltry 2.8 yards per carry in the preseason, and Matt Cassel spent most of his time in last week’s game running for his life. All of that has to change. The Chiefs plan no starting lineup changes tonight but could give some guys a look. That list includes Ike Ndukwe at right tackle. If he plays well, he could be a starter by next week.

4 Ryan Succop. The last of the Chiefs’ eight draft picks is having the biggest impact yet. He’s kicked off well and shown consistency on his field-goal attempts. If that continues, he will be a steal of the draft.

5 Big plays at wide receiver. The Chiefs’ longest pass play of the preseason is 22 yards. That’s not all the fault of the receivers. Usually the quarterbacks haven’t had time to look down the field. But the Chiefs are still searching for someone to complement Dwayne Bowe. This would be a good week for Mark Bradley to have a big game. He might need one to secure a roster spot.

Hog Farmer
08-29-2009, 06:30 AM
6 Cheerleaders. With most eyes in th first game at arrowhead directed on the players on the field , the cheerleading squad is making an attempt to get more recognition from the fans by wearing crotchless panties in tonights game.

Reerun_KC
08-29-2009, 06:40 AM
1 Tyler Thigpen’s play. The Chiefs need to decide whether Thigpen is expendable, and he can help them with that decision one way or another. Thigpen probably won’t enter the game until the third quarter, but while he’s in, he needs to show he can operate from a conventional pro offense. His throwing accuracy after dropping back from center has been lousy.

Well there are 31 other teams looking for a starter/Chiefzilla

Consistent1
08-29-2009, 06:42 AM
6 Cheerleaders With most eyes in th first game at arrowhead directed on the players on the field , the cheerleading squad is making an attempt to get more recognition from the fans by wearing crotchless panties in tonights game.

That sounds good and all, but with our luck there could very well be some unexpected dangling parts.

JuicesFlowing
08-29-2009, 07:08 AM
Thigpen isn't going to improve his play overnight. If he can't operate from a conventional set now, he's not going to be able to tonight.

Consistent1
08-29-2009, 07:10 AM
I think you are right Juices...if Thigpen plays more, he may just get exposed more.

ChiTown
08-29-2009, 07:12 AM
That sounds good and all, but with our luck there could very well be some unexpected dangling parts.

:eek:

LMAO

Reerun_KC
08-29-2009, 07:15 AM
I think you are right Juices...if Thigpen plays more, he may just get exposed more.

Valid concern...

Everyone knows he cant run a conventional offense and his accuracy is that of a .22 caliber pistol on an Elephant hunt...

allen_kcCard
08-29-2009, 08:16 AM
Valid concern...

Everyone knows he cant run a conventional offense and his accuracy is that of a .22 caliber pistol on an Elephant hunt...

I think accuracy would not be an issue in that circumstance.

KCUnited
08-29-2009, 08:18 AM
Return game, somebody is going to have to step up and solidify the return man role.
Center - RT.
NT

Coogs
08-29-2009, 08:20 AM
I hope these are not listed in order of importance. For me, the #1 thing is most definately not how TT plays.

Slainte
08-29-2009, 08:27 AM
ILB play...

Deberg_1990
08-29-2009, 08:37 AM
I hope these are not listed in order of importance. For me, the #1 thing is most definately not how TT plays.

No kidding.

How Thigpen plays is about the least important thing to me.

DTLB58
08-29-2009, 08:37 AM
Return game, somebody is going to have to step up and solidify the return man role.Center - RT.
NT

I would have chose this over Succop who has already shown something where the return game has not.

JASONSAUTO
08-29-2009, 08:42 AM
I would have chose this over Succop who has already shown something where the return game has not.

it's hilarious how many people THREW A FIT over drafting succop. most here thought we should have tried to get him as an UDFA. why take that chance?

milkman
08-29-2009, 08:52 AM
No kidding.

How Thigpen plays is about the least important thing to me.

Actually, you should care.

If interest in Thigpen is as keen as has been reported, then our position in trade talks can be either strengthened or weakened by his performance.

JASONSAUTO
08-29-2009, 08:55 AM

If interest in Thigpen is as keen as has been reported, then our position in trade talks can be either strengthened or weakened by his performance.

yep. could be the difference in a 4th, 5th or nothing in return

Deberg_1990
08-29-2009, 08:55 AM

Whatever happens with that happens.

I only care about the guys who are part of the future of this team.

milkman
08-29-2009, 08:56 AM
Whatever happens with that happens.

I only care about the guys who are part of the future of this team.

I care about what we can get in the future.

Coogs
08-29-2009, 08:59 AM

I know what you are saying, but that still is not that big of a deal IMO. It's past performance that the Jags are interested in. Not how TT looks running in the 2nd half of a pre-season game against the 2nd or 3rd stringers from Seattle tonight.

Hell, most likely the only thing that a good performance out of TT tonight would be the crap storm it creates on the Planet if he were to then get traded.

milkman
08-29-2009, 09:00 AM
I know what you are saying, but that still is not that big of a deal IMO. It's past performance that the Jags are interested in. Not how TT looks running in the 2nd half of a pre-season game against the 2nd or 3rd stringers from Seattle tonight.

Hell, most likely the only thing that a good performance out of TT tonight would be the crap storm it creates on the Planet if he were to then get traded.

If he looks bad against second teamers, it certainly can't help.

Coogs
08-29-2009, 09:03 AM

IMO, he can not look much worse throwing the ball than he did against the Texans. And there was still interest after that game apparently.

milkman
08-29-2009, 09:05 AM
IMO, he can not look much worse throwing the ball than he did against the Texans. And there was still interest after that game apparently.

Back to back poor showings wouldn't be good.

On a different subject altogether, I'm watching the Pack-Card replay right now, and Aaron Rogers looks like he's ready to step up into that top tier level of QBs.

boogblaster
08-29-2009, 09:11 AM
Im more concerned bout the O line, it has to step up or its going to be a long sour season again ...

stevieray
08-29-2009, 09:13 AM
boobies?

Deberg_1990
08-29-2009, 09:14 AM

I think someone mentioned it earlier, the Chiefs would be better off hding him on the bench. Keeping his skills somewhat a mystery. Unless they instend to put him in shotgun snaps the whole time.

Coogs
08-29-2009, 09:18 AM
Back to back poor showings wouldn't be good.

On a different subject altogether, I'm watching the Pack-Card replay right now, and Aaron Rogers looks like he's ready to step up into that top tier level of QBs.

I'm watching it too. They look pretty good on both sides of the ball so far.

While I have been pretty impressed with our first string defense so far this season, I hope tonight we take a step forward and kick the crap out of Seattle much like the Packers new 3-4 is doing to the Cards in this game. I am more interested in seeing that and hopefully our first string offense with Bowe in place tonight moving the ball with some continuity and putting a TD or two on the board.

Weather we get a 4th or a 5th out of TT next year is not all that important to me right now. Or even if he stays with our team is not that big of thing to me, but how Cassel and our first team offense plays... now that is huge tonight.

Deberg_1990
08-29-2009, 09:19 AM

Is it time for me to bump my "Should Carl have picked Rodgers over DJ" thread again? :)

Count Zarth
08-29-2009, 09:34 AM
Is it time for me to bump my "Should Carl have picked Rodgers over DJ" thread again? :)

Cassel > Rodgers

Disaster avoided.

milkman
08-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Cassel > Rodgers

Disaster avoided.

Rogers, last night, was 14-19 for 238 yards and 3 TDs.

His passes were crisp, accurate, he displyed very good arm strength, and was making outstanding decisions.

He played pretty damn well last year, and looks like he is ascending.

Count Zarth
08-29-2009, 09:45 AM
Rogers, last night, was 14-19 for 238 yards and 3 TDs.

His passes were crisp, accurate, he displyed very good arm strength, and was making outstanding decisions.

He played pretty damn well last year, and looks like he is ascending.

Yeah I agree, he's already a really good player.

Just my preference.

Also, if the Chiefs had drafted Rodgers and given him to Herm after just one year of Dick...FAIL....

milkman
08-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Yeah I agree, he's already a really good player.

Just my preference.

Also, if the Chiefs had drafted Rodgers and given him to Herm after just one year of Dick...FAIL....

Weak arm notwithstanding, Chad Pennington turned out o be a solid QB even with Herman fucking Edwards as his HC after his rookie season.

The argument that we should not have drafted a QB, that we were lucky to not have drafted a QB, during Herman fucking Edwards tenure here...fail...

Count Zarth
08-29-2009, 09:51 AM
Really, you don't think the Chiefs set Croyle up to fail?

milkman
08-29-2009, 09:57 AM
Really, you don't think the Chiefs set Croyle up to fail?

I think Croyle's fragility, combined with Carl's failure to bring in fresh O-Line talent over the years, combined with sorryass playcalling set up Croyle to fail.

Chiefnj2
08-29-2009, 10:21 AM
Weak arm notwithstanding, Chad Pennington turned out o be a solid QB even with Herman ****ing Edwards as his HC after his rookie season.

The argument that we should not have drafted a QB, that we were lucky to not have drafted a QB, during Herman ****ing Edwards tenure here...fail...

How much better would Pennington have been if Herm could have learned to protect a QB?

Deberg_1990
08-29-2009, 10:27 AM
How much better would Pennington have been if Herm could have learned to protect a QB?

Not a whole lot better. Hes a solid, decent but not spectacular QB. He is what he is.

He would have always been that way whether it was Herm Edwards, Bill Parcells, Bill Walsh or Gunther Cunningham as his HC.

Chiefnj2
08-29-2009, 10:40 AM
Not a whole lot better. Hes a solid, decent but not spectacular QB. He is what he is.

He would have always been that way whether it was Herm Edwards, Bill Parcells, Bill Walsh or Gunther Cunningham as his HC.

IMO, he wouldn't be injured as much with a head coach other than Herm. Herm goes through QBs like poop through a goose.

Deberg_1990
08-29-2009, 10:41 AM
IMO, he wouldn't be injured as much with a head coach other than Herm. Herm goes through QBs like poop through a goose.

Your right. He might not have been injured as much, but he would still be the same QB talent wise.

milkman
08-29-2009, 10:42 AM

And his shoulder would probably not have been injured, weakening his already questionable arm strength.

milkman
08-29-2009, 10:43 AM
Your right. He might not have been injured as much, but he would still be the same QB talent wise.

His right what?

DeezNutz
08-29-2009, 10:44 AM
His right what?

Testicle.

Dude was pissed. Snarky tone and all...