PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Thigpen Deal not Dead

LaChapelle
08-29-2009, 09:56 AM
Blogs.NFL.com

Posted: August 28th, 2009 | Jason La Canfora | Tags: David Garrard, Jakcsonvilel Jaguars, Kansas City Chiefs, Matt Cassel, Scott Pioli, Tyler Thigpen

The Jacksonville Jaguars remain interested in acquiring Kansas City quarterback Tyler Thigpen, and the Chiefs are certainly open to trading him. That mutual interest has not cooled and sources close to the situation maintain this trade could still occur.

Scott Pioli, who runs the Chiefs, is asking for a third-round pick for Thigpen, which is an awful lot for a third quarterback. However, with newly crowned ó and compensated ó starter Matt Cassel there, Thigpen isnít getting the reps and having Thigpen around, should Cassel falter, could create a QB controvery, something the rebuilding club would not welcome.

Jacksonville first offered a sixth-round pick for Thigpen, then upped it to a fifth and they remain strong possibilities. Thursday night the Jags QBs went a combined 17-for-31 for 171 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT. David Garrard has been shaky as a starter for a while now, and they donít have a dependable backup on the roster. Thigpen had been nursing a rib injury but is likely to play Saturday night. Other teams like Thigpen, too, but Pioliís demand in this case is steep.

League sources continue to suggest that should Pioli be unable to get that third-round pick, Jacksonville is a prime candidate to pull something else, with a fourth-rounder possibly the happy medium in all of this.

Shag
08-29-2009, 09:59 AM
If Pioli can muster a 3rd or 4th round pick, he truly is a genius...

Chan needs to pull out the 2008 offense for Thigpen tonight, and make him look really good...

LaChapelle
08-29-2009, 10:03 AM
No Tony G. snatching errant passes out of the air like a frog after a fly.

salame
08-29-2009, 10:07 AM
They will just get McCown for a 5th and make us look silly

LaChapelle
08-29-2009, 10:09 AM
THE KC THIGCAT LIVES ON!!

Bane
08-29-2009, 10:14 AM
Thigga what????
Posted via Mobile Device

DBOSHO
08-29-2009, 10:18 AM
personally i prefer the wildpen

the Talking Can
08-29-2009, 10:18 AM
holy mother if we get a 4th for thigpen

pioli is god damn genious

pr_capone
08-29-2009, 10:19 AM
Dammit though... when is the Croyle plus a 2nd for Marshall gonna happen?

Bane
08-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Never hopefully!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

DBOSHO
08-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Dammit though... when is the Thigpen plus a 2nd for Marshall gonna happen?

never. theyre converting marshall into a cb/punter.

Count Zarth
08-29-2009, 10:21 AM
Dammit though... when is the Croyle plus a 2nd for Marshall gonna happen?

That was just a rumor.

Bane
08-29-2009, 10:22 AM
That was a joke to get the donkos fans off the roof!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Tuckdaddy
08-29-2009, 10:22 AM
That was just a rumor.

That would be a sweat deal though.

TFG
08-29-2009, 10:24 AM

Chan needs to pull out the 2008 offense for Thigpen tonight, and make him look really good...

Curious definition of "genius." To me, a "genius" GM is someone who gets quality players from late round draft picks and cheap FAs, and gets star players from high picks and expensive FAs. Trading Thigpen for a 6th or 3rd isn't "genius," it is the natural result of the acquisition of Cassel and the presence of Croyle. Its like saying, wow, that cattle auctioneer is a GENIUS for getting 500 dollars for his cow...

If Jackson and Magee are star players in a few years and Cassel is an elite QB, that would be evidence that Pioli is a "genius." If Goff turns out to be a quality ORG etc...

58kcfan89
08-29-2009, 10:36 AM
Curious definition of "genius." To me, a "genius" GM is someone who gets quality players from late round draft picks and cheap FAs, and gets star players from high picks and expensive FAs. Trading Thigpen for a 6th or 3rd isn't "genius," it is the natural result of the acquisition of Cassel and the presence of Croyle. Its like saying, wow, that cattle auctioneer is a GENIUS for getting 500 dollars for his cow...

If Jackson and Magee are star players in a few years and Cassel is an elite QB, that would be evidence that Pioli is a "genius." If Goff turns out to be a quality ORG etc...

Considering Thigpen is a gimmick QB who sucks in any normal NFL formation, getting anything above a 5th is a great move. However you want to define "genius" is your call, but Pioli would be essentially turning a below average player that we got off of the waiver wire into a 3rd, 4th or 5th round pick. To me, that's about as close to "genius" as you can get considering what he has to work with and how early in his tenure it is.

the Talking Can
08-29-2009, 10:37 AM

if you get a 3rd or 4th for a player that has no value to your franchise, that is brilliant....

and lots of people think thigpen will never amount to anything, backup QB at best.....again, getting picks for this is great

plus, we're having fun with the "genious" tag in the context of Carl Peterson, who never seemed to get value for anyone much less a 3rd string QB

and fourth, are you a robot?

TFG
08-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Considering Thigpen is a gimmick QB who sucks in any normal NFL formation, getting anything above a 5th is a great move. However you want to define "genius" is your call, but Pioli would be essentially turning a below average player that we got off of the waiver wire into a 3rd, 4th or 5th round pick. To me, that's about as close to "genius" as you can get considering what he has to work with and how early in his tenure it is.

And if the Jags offer a fourth and Pioli refuses and Thig stays a Chief?

POKER is not about genius. Assessing talent is about genius. Suppose Pioli gets a fifth next year... and spends it on an OT who then gets moved to OG and then gets third teamed and cut?? Genius? Only if its cashed in to actually help the team.

For the Fifth Pioli spent on Colin Brown, he could have had RFA DT Anthony Montgomery of the Skins - #94 - and you can watch him march Logan Mankins right back to Brady several times from last night's game, as well as stand up double teams. Anyone need a NOSE TACKLE? Didn't the GM have an obligation this offseason, knowing he was switching to a 3-4, to get a good NT?

Response: who cares, he's a genius if he gets a pick for our third QB.. :clap:

DeezNutz
08-29-2009, 10:42 AM
if you get a 3rd or 4th for a player that has no value to your franchise, that is brilliant....

and lots of people think thigpen will never amount to anything, backup QB at best.....again, getting picks for this is great

plus, we're having fun with the "genious" tag in the context of Carl Peterson, who never seemed to get value for anyone much less a 3rd string QB

and fourth, are you a robot?

Jokes no tolerated on my CP.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_SJYaJzfRGw4/RbqCozRgAJI/AAAAAAAAAn0/BIQP8BbiZTc/s320/Ivan+Drago.jpg

noodle83
08-29-2009, 10:43 AM
I dont think there is a team out there to give up a 3rd or 4th rounder for Thigpen. Good athlete poor QB.

King_Chief_Fan
08-29-2009, 10:46 AM
Scott Pioli, who runs the Chiefs, is asking for a third-round pick for Thigpen, which is an awful lot for a third quarterback. However, with newly crowned ó and compensated ó starter Matt Cassel there, Thigpen isnít getting the reps and having Thigpen around, should Cassel falter, could create a QB controvery, something the rebuilding club would not welcome.

WHAT???

King_Chief_Fan

WHAT??? KC concerned that if Thigpen plays he could create a

milkman
And if the Jags offer a fourth and Pioli refuses and Thig stays a Chief?

POKER is not about genius. Assessing talent is about genius. Suppose Pioli gets a fifth next year... and spends it on an OT who then gets moved to OG and then gets third teamed and cut?? Genius? Only if its cashed in to actually help the team.

For the Fifth Pioli spent on Colin Brown, he could have had RFA DT Anthony Montgomery of the Skins - #94 - and you can watch him march Logan Mankins right back to Brady several times from last night's game, as well as stand up double teams. Anyone need a NOSE TACKLE? Didn't the GM have an obligation this offseason, knowing he was switching to a 3-4, to get a good NT?

Response: who cares, he's a genius if he gets a pick for our third QB.. :clap:

You've done some quality posting.

Debating what defines a genius doesn't fall into that category however.

TFG
08-29-2009, 10:48 AM

WHAT??? KC concerned that if Thigpen plays he could create a

Considering Tavaris Jackson is probably available for less... one would have to be as DUMB as Jack "DUH" Del Rio to go for Thig for a Third...

King_Chief_Fan
08-29-2009, 10:48 AM

WHAT??? KC concerned that if Thigpen plays he could create a QB controversy? Not sure what that says about Cassel's ability or is it Thigpen ability? better hang on to Thig and see what happens. $60 million dollar man could be a bust?

TFG
08-29-2009, 10:49 AM
You've done some quality posting.

Debating what defines a genius doesn't fall into that category however.

At least you didn't post "your and idiot..."

milkman
08-29-2009, 10:50 AM

WHAT??? KC concerned that if Thigpen plays he could create a QB controversy? Not sure what that says about Cassel's ability or is it Thigpen ability? better hang on to Thig and see what happens. $60 million dollar man could be a bust?

Finally spit it all out, didja?

You know there's an edit feature, don't you?

milkman
08-29-2009, 10:51 AM
At least you didn't post "your and idiot..."

I'm rarely that civil.

Mr. Krab
08-29-2009, 10:58 AM
If they really want to up the price of Thigpen then they need to have Gailey plan/practice a package for Thigpen and slip him in against the 2nd stringers but quietly leave most of our 1st stringers in. If you pull larry johnson and another weak starter it will look like Thigpen is still running with the 2nd.

Btw Pioli is probably asking for a 3rd but expecting a 4th.

MIAdragon
08-29-2009, 10:58 AM

JFC

tonyetony
08-29-2009, 11:03 AM
TYG or TFG whatever it is.

You know being a devil's advocate is one thing but looking at your posts I'm pretty sure your not a Chiefs fan, which means your just a troll. Ignore.

milkman
08-29-2009, 11:07 AM
TYG or TFG whatever it is.

You know being a devil's advocate is one thing but looking at your posts I'm pretty sure your not a Chiefs fan, which means your just a troll. Ignore.

Wow.

Some people have a broad definition of "troll".

Even if he's not a Chiefs fan, most of his posts have been solid contributions.

orange
08-29-2009, 11:13 AM
This whole thread seems a little off-target.

Scott Pioli has had nothing to do with Thigpen. If he manages to trade TT for anything... it's because of Peterson, Edwards, and Gailey.

:D

morphius
08-29-2009, 11:14 AM
I'd hate to lose Thig honestly, I love uber mobile backup QB's, I'd have them place the balls for FG's, because they are a threat to run or pass if something goes wrong, or if you want to run a fake. Plus, if your QB gets killed, it's normally after being beating up for a while, so having someone who can run around is a good thing, imo. I'm glad they are holding out for more than a 5th for him, he might not be starter quality yet, but he has some potential if given some snaps.

I like Brodie's arm a lot, but dang, I just don't like counting on him coming into a game and lasting more than a few series.

tonyetony
08-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Wow.

Some people have a broad definition of "troll".

Even if he's not a Chiefs fan, most of his posts have been solid contributions.

If he's not a Chiefs fan I would like to know that, then I would read his posts in a different context.

I was a little harsh but so are some of his takes. I actually agree with him that we should have addressed the OL much sooner than 2 weeks before the season starts.

Sure-Oz
08-29-2009, 11:28 AM
I will laugh my ass off if we get a 4th for him, a 5th rounder is a steal

Bane
08-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Either one is better than Mc Clown, or Left-quitch!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

tonyetony
08-29-2009, 11:39 AM

What would you do if Pioli actually gets a 3rd rounder for him? I'll be rooting for TT to have a good game tonight.

Micjones
08-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Getting a 4th Round pick for Thigpen will be nothing short of amazing.
Randy Moss was traded for a #4.

BigRock
08-29-2009, 12:05 PM
having Thigpen around, should Cassel falter, could create a QB controvery

Considering this and his prior post on Thigpen, I think they've actually found a bigger dink than Adam Teicher to man Teicher's old spot.

Huzzah and kudos to you, NFL Network.

BigChiefFan
08-29-2009, 12:18 PM
While I'm in favor of trading Thigpen, because I think we already have the 3 QBs that fit our offense better, I understand the mentality of holding out for more and agree with it.
Thigpen isn't an ordinary back-up being traded. He's a young player, who has a legitimate TD to INT ratio, that shows promise for a team that runs that type of offense. He also has starting experience and is only 25 years old, meaning UPSIDE is still there. He'll most likely be the 2nd stringer on the team interested in him.

DBOSHO
08-29-2009, 12:32 PM
While I'm in favor of trading Thigpen, because I think we already have the 3 QBs that fit our offense better, I understand the mentality of holding out for more and agree with it.
Thigpen isn't an ordinary back-up being traded. He's a young player, who has a legitimate TD to INT ratio, that shows promise for a team that runs that type of offense. He also has starting experience and is only 25 years old, meaning UPSIDE is still there. He'll most likely be the 2nd stringer on the team interested in him.

thigpen sucks. he cant play in a pro offense and is a waste of life-every stubborn chiefs fan

Mr. Krab
08-29-2009, 12:35 PM
thigpen sucks. he cant play in a pro offense and is a waste of life-every stubborn chiefs fan
Eat shit and die

Every time Thigpen is brought up in any fashion, some dickhead clown has to bring this shit up and turn it into a Thigwar. :banghead:

Count Zarth
08-29-2009, 12:40 PM
Eat shit and die

Every time Thigpen is brought up in any fashion, some dickhead clown has to bring this shit up and turn it into a Thigwar. :banghead:

The Thigpals are a disease.

Skip Towne
08-29-2009, 12:49 PM

So was Herm.

DBOSHO
08-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Eat shit and die

just wanted to state it before someone else did:D

Tribal Warfare
08-29-2009, 01:20 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/08/28/thigpen-deal-not-dead/

ClevelandBronco
08-29-2009, 01:39 PM

He'd be a thief.

Slainte
08-29-2009, 01:42 PM
He'd be a thief.

He'd be a saint.

He'd fucking be fucking Saint fucking Pioli...In line for the ever-fucking Papacy.

Quote me on that, and watch for the white smoke.

ClevelandBronco
08-29-2009, 01:47 PM
He'd be a saint.

He'd ****ing be ****ing Saint ****ing Pioli...In line for the ever-****ing Papacy.

Kind of depends on your point of view.

Not that being a thief is all that bad when it comes to football...

Warrior5
08-29-2009, 01:48 PM

'Zackly!

Warrior5
08-29-2009, 01:50 PM
He'd be a saint.

He'd ****ing be ****ing Saint ****ing Pioli...In line for the ever-****ing Papacy.

ROFLROFLROFL

KCDC
08-29-2009, 01:51 PM

Different circumstances of course. That is what I am hoping will happen to Marshall. If he keeps mailing it in like Moss, he'll destroy his value and then someone can get him for a 4th. Maybe we get Atlanta to get him from Denver, so that McDaniels doesn't think he's going to a division rival, and then they flip him to us. After all, Pioli is a buddy of the Atlanta's GM and we put them together with TG. Okay, so maybe I'm dreaming. :D

ClevelandBronco
08-29-2009, 01:52 PM
Cutting the asshole with no compensation is a steal.

ClevelandBronco
08-29-2009, 01:54 PM
Different circumstances of course. That is what I am hoping will happen to Marshall. If he keeps mailing it in like Moss, he'll destroy his value and then someone can get him for a 4th. Maybe we get Atlanta to get him from Denver, so that McDaniels doesn't think he's going to a division rival, and then they flip him to us. After all, Pioli is a buddy of the Atlanta's GM and we put them together with TG. Okay, so maybe I'm dreaming. :D

Do you even watch the NFL?