PDA

View Full Version : Draft help - #5 pick

Shag
08-30-2009, 04:45 PM
I unexpectedly have my first FFL draft tomorrow night (joined a friend's league who lost an owner), and haven't quite gotten my FFL groove on yet (my other drafts are a week+ away). I'm unprepared, so looking for some input...

8 team league, fairly standard scoring:
- 1pt/20yds passing
- 1pt/10yds rushing/receiving
- 4pts Passing TD
- 6pts rushing/receiving TD
- no PPR

I have the #5 pick, which puts me in an interesting position. I'm assuming that AP, MJD, Turner will be off the board, and quite possibly Forte as well. It seems like this is the pick where most drafts will diverge - what have you guys been seeing in the 5 spot in your drafts?

It feels early for a WR or QB, but I could potentially get more value with one of those positions here. The RB situation gets a little more cloudy here, too. Historically, I don't recall ever having such indecision as early as #5. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Anyone done any 8 team drafts they could post? I'd be very curious to see how they played out...

KCChiefsMan
08-30-2009, 05:29 PM
I hate the #5 pick, but I like Chris Johnson there. I have a feeling that he is going to have a huge year, but that's just based off of my own little prediction. I wouldn't be opposed to taking Larry Fitzgerald there either, depends on which direction you'd want to go I guess. But if Forte or Turner somehow fall to #5 you have to go with them

FD
08-30-2009, 06:16 PM
Well hopefully someone will do something stupid and one of the top 4 backs will fall to you. If not I would probably take LT. I know he's old but he's consistent, the Chargers will play more close games this year, and he gets 6 (!) games against KC, Oakland and Denver run defenses. Its hard to ignore how bad those run defenses are.

KCChiefsMan
08-30-2009, 06:18 PM
I've been very impressed with KCs run defense thus far

JOhn
08-30-2009, 07:20 PM
I hate the #5 pick, but I like Chris Johnson there. I have a feeling that he is going to have a huge year, but that's just based off of my own little prediction. I wouldn't be opposed to taking Larry Fitzgerald there either, depends on which direction you'd want to go I guess. But if Forte or Turner somehow fall to #5 you have to go with them

Steven Jackson is also a good choice at that spot. I took him at #7

CanadaKC
08-30-2009, 08:15 PM
I'd go steven jackson....he's going to be a beast this year IMO....#1 rule..always trust your gut....

Shag
08-30-2009, 10:34 PM
I think I agree that the #5 pick sucks. Seems to be a lot of consensus that it's the worst spot this year. Blah. Some thoughts on the mentioned players, and other options:

Chris Johnson - while he's a great back, his goal line carries get vultured by LenDale White.

LT - makes me nervous, as he seems to be on the decline, and has had health issues. Sproles looked good in relief last year, making me wonder if he'll play a bigger role this year.

Stephen Jackson - seriously considering him, but his injury history makes me nervous. Also a little worried about him running against stacked fronts all year.

DeAngelo Williams - was a stud last year, but concerned about Johnathan Stewart taking carries.

Tom Brady - feels really early to take a QB, but Brady has looked awesome in the preseason. Shoulder injury is still a big question mark.

Fitz - hard to argue with Fitz, but borderline early for a WR. At some point, Warner is going to start to fade.

Moss - same argument as Fitz as far as draft position. Has looked great in preseason, and he and Brady are back to old ways.

I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do yet...

MoreLemonPledge
09-01-2009, 06:27 AM
Steven Jackson. He has the most upside of any pick there. Assuming he stays healthy (which is assuming a lot), he could very likely end up the #1 player in fantasy points. High risk, high reward, but that's the way I like to play.

rageeumr
09-01-2009, 07:50 AM
My league is 30 yds/1 point for QB's and Brady and Brees went with picks 13 and 14. At 20 yds to a point, you're starting to not look all that crazy for taking a QB at #5. Especially when you consider the RB scoring trends over the last couple years. The need to have a stud RB isn't what it used to be.

FYI, I took Fitzgerald with pick #6.

Delano
09-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Slaton went at 5 in my most recent money draft. LMAO